Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
jamny

***Howard Stern***

2 minutes ago, BroncoFreak_2K3 said:

No. His nose has been deteriorating way longer than this recent dust up. 

I heard last week during an interview of one of his friends that part of the issue is that he was cutting up coke with a salt shaker and it broke. He did not want to waste the coke so he snorted it, along with the broken glass.

1 minute ago, seahawk 17 said:

I heard last week during an interview of one of his friends that part of the issue is that he was cutting up coke with a salt shaker and it broke. He did not want to waste the coke so he snorted it, along with the broken glass.

link

I read that a couple of weeks ago too, he was partying with some chick at the time

8 minutes ago, pantherclub said:

link

Not sure how to post it, but you can go to Iheart Radio and search, "Rover's Morning Glory." It's the January 17th show. The interview was with Greg Fitzsimmons.

6 minutes ago, seahawk 17 said:

Not sure how to post it, but you can go to Iheart Radio and search, "Rover's Morning Glory." It's the January 17th show. The interview was with Greg Fitzsimmons.

thx,  thats sad    dude is his own worst enemy

24 minutes ago, seahawk 17 said:

:lmao: Jesus 

12 hours ago, BroncoFreak_2K3 said:

No. His nose has been deteriorating way longer than something associated with this recent dust up. The bloody look may certainly be related to the fracas. Just look at past pictures of him.

Didn't say he got beat up a few days ago, it might have been years ago but that's what started the nose going down hill.  He got his nose banged up for a gambling debt then to keep shoving coke in it isn't going to make it heal, which is why it slowly got worse and worse.  Look, I'm sure we all know people that do coke, their noses don't fall off.   This looks like his nose was damaged and never treated to heal correctly.  IMO

• Thinking 1

8 minutes ago, Arizona Ron said:

Look, I'm sure we all know people that do coke, 

:lmao: 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Arizona Ron said:

Didn't say he got beat up a few days ago, it might have been years ago but that's what started the nose going down hill.  He got his nose banged up for a gambling debt then to keep shoving coke in it isn't going to make it heal, which is why it slowly got worse and worse.  Look, I'm sure we all know people that do coke, their noses don't fall off.   This looks like his nose was damaged and never treated to heal correctly.  IMO

Could be but not long before collapsing, it swelled up like a balloon.

48 minutes ago, Arizona Ron said:

You know more about this situation than I do I guess.:shrug:

7 hours ago, James Daulton said:

How does he make money?

He can't have much left.  He's been doing gigs at really cheap, trashy venues and no name podcast interviews.  I'm sure this recent binge was funded by his annual royalties from Elf being aired during the holidays.  He also has that HBO show, but that can't pay that much.  

He's worse off than Jeff the Drunk at this point.  Essentially a wack packer.

1 hour ago, Scoresman said:

He can't have much left.  He's been doing gigs at really cheap, trashy venues and no name podcast interviews.  I'm sure this recent binge was funded by his annual royalties from Elf being aired during the holidays.  He also has that HBO show, but that can't pay that much.  

He's worse off than Jeff the Drunk at this point.  Essentially a wack packer.

That’s funny, I thought about that while watching elf this Christmas - what do you think a guy like that makes off all the repeat elf showings every year?  

23 hours ago, Captain Cranks said:

I don't either.  The show needs villains.  It also needs a constant flow of new blood which he and Brent currently provide.  I wish they'd try to cycle new people into the team more frequently.  That's where all the drama comes from.  

I'm so sick of Ronnie...can't stand him.   I turn it every time he's on or there's a bit involving him.  

43 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

I'm so sick of Ronnie...can't stand him.   I turn it every time he's on or there's a bit involving him.  

I like Ronnie and find him entertaining, but there's only so many times you can go back to the same well.  

I think Howard has begun to mail it in over these last few years.  The show is still good, but you can tell there's not as much energy to come up with new ideas as there used to be.  A lot of times it's just him and Robin rambling on about something or bringing Ronnie into to studio to get him upset.  

6 hours ago, Capella said:

:lmao: 

I must be a real square.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dickey moe said:

I must be a real square.

Artie himself is making fun of his nose. I’m not laughing at his disease but snorting glass to get the high is such a ridiculous thing to read. 

10 hours ago, urbanhack said:

Yeah WELL #### YOU DUDE. PIECE OF ####.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Good Posting Judge said:

Yeah WELL #### YOU DUDE. PIECE OF ####.

WHATS YOUR PROBLEM!!

• Thanks 1

On 1/31/2019 at 3:56 PM, dickey moe said:

Did he get punched in the face or did he pass out and faceplant?

supposedly it is a combination of the deviated septum from too much coke over life plus a fight he got into at the end of 2017 (because someone owed him money?)  i forget the exact story now, but he had sent some cryptic tweets at the time and there was later a court proceeding or something.

On 1/31/2019 at 5:38 PM, jamny said:

I was going to post about this. I haven't laughed that hard at the show in a long time. Howard literally made something out of nothing.

Richard really is disgusting.

richard, you really have to have respect for people.

somewhat interesting convo between jackie, stuttering john and billy west about their time on the show and various grievances. 

https://tvremix1.vhx.tv/jackie-billy-john-on-howard/season:1/videos/jackie-john-billy-on-howard-episode-1-windfalls-exits

Claim that Don Buchwald really strong-arms everyone on a lot of ####.

John says he "only" got an extra $10K per year for the E show being syndicated.  Jackie says he held out for $25, which is why he wasn't shown for the first few months.  Billy says that the reason he really left was that the amount they wanted to pay for the E show was below scale and he was in 3 unions, so he really couldn't do it.  Howard wanted him to just do it and keep it on the down low, but he said no.

Supposedly there are 5 more of these eps, but they require some kind of subscription.  I think it's like $5/month, but really not clear on what it's all about.  Might be worth a 1-time $5 once all the eps are up.

though I'm pretty close to not renewing by sub for the coming year.  I still like the show a lot, but I can't say that I miss it when I don't hear it.

Might grab the new book, though.  Says he reveals something that he has been lying about for years.  Probably bull####, but the rest of the stuff about the interviews sounds cool.

I gotta say, THSS is completely boring now.  I guess this is the best way to taper us off before his impending retirement:  We just don't care anymore.  

9 minutes ago, Captain Cranks said:

I gotta say, THSS is completely boring now.  I guess this is the best way to taper us off before his impending retirement:  We just don't care anymore.  

That Richard dad segment really droned on...

4 hours ago, Captain Cranks said:

It's painfully bad. 

THSS has become a caricature of what it once was in terms of edgy humor. Staffers are largely one-trick ponies whose schtick is well played out by now, and largely uninteresting to begin with. Bits and general banter has been mailed in for years now.

The show still only shines in two areas:

1) Interviews -- Howard still, IMHO, is one of the best interviewers in the biz. THey aren't all gold, but when they are, they are better than any other media outlet interviews in terms of substance and genuineness.

2) Music -- specifically from birthday shows or tributes -- the Bowie tribute album simply blew me away. In-studio can be hit or miss but is still largely hit, especially with guests like Billy Joel. Lady Gaga was amazing.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

THSS has become a caricature of what it once was in terms of edgy humor. Staffers are largely one-trick ponies whose schtick is well played out by now, and largely uninteresting to begin with. Bits and general banter has been mailed in for years now.

The show still only shines in two areas:

1) Interviews -- Howard still, IMHO, is one of the best interviewers in the biz. THey aren't all gold, but when they are, they are better than any other media outlet interviews in terms of substance and genuineness.

2) Music -- specifically from birthday shows or tributes -- the Bowie tribute album simply blew me away. In-studio can be hit or miss but is still largely hit, especially with guests like Billy Joel. Lady Gaga was amazing.

Sadly neither shine now.  His interviews are parody level now and boring (not helped but his revolving door of the same guests; Alec Baldwin, Chelsea Handler etc...). His Madonna interview was the worst ever (by anyone) and the fact they moved the show time to accommodate her made it all the more painful.

Typical Stern interview now is:

" What was your relationship like with your parents ? "

" Ever seen your parents nude ? "

some shoe-horned Stern mention about the great benefits of therapy.

" You've said it all "

And the musical choices are debatable at best. For every Billy Joel, there is a Two Seconds of Summer.

Now his show is as bad as those shows he used to mock back in the day.

• Like 3

So I guess it's coming out now he had a cancer scare and surgery last year when he had that miss show incident.  I'm surprised we found out about this via an interview with a magazine yet he freaked out when JD talked about his engagement on twitter.  Monday's show should be interesting listening to him justify not breaking that news on the show.....

• Like 1

What's up with the schleps that call in and say, "the show's better than it's ever been?"  Were they always hoping it would just be him and Robin droning on and complaining about something with the occasional Ronnie roasting thrown in?  

Edited by Captain Cranks

2 hours ago, brianj74 said:

Sadly neither shine now.  His interviews are parody level now and boring (not helped but his revolving door of the same guests; Alec Baldwin, Chelsea Handler etc...). His Madonna interview was the worst ever (by anyone) and the fact they moved the show time to accommodate her made it all the more painful.

Typical Stern interview now is:

" What was your relationship like with your parents ? "

" Ever seen your parents nude ? "

some shoe-horned Stern mention about the great benefits of therapy.

" You've said it all "

And the musical choices are debatable at best. For every Billy Joel, there is a Two Seconds of Summer.

Now his show is as bad as those shows he used to mock back in the day.

I'll respectfully disagree. 

Sure, I do think there are some shoe-horned topics in every interview -- how long their genitalia is; their sex life; therapy; are they into Transcendental Meditation. But you don't get the depth and see these people open up in a way that you do anywhere else than with Howard these days. Nor do I think guests are as cognizant that they have to be honest and as real as they can elsewhere as on THSS.

And yes, plenty of stinkers as musical guests. But that Bowie album was gold, and the times when performances are transcendent (at the b-day show or in studio) far make up for any clunkers. Maybe it's me but I don't think I would have heard about Royal Blood if it weren't for Stern, and I'm glad for it.

1 hour ago, dkp993 said:

So I guess it's coming out now he had a cancer scare and surgery last year when he had that miss show incident.  I'm surprised we found out about this via an interview with a magazine yet he freaked out when JD talked about his engagement on twitter.  Monday's show should be interesting listening to him justify not breaking that news on the show.....

Even that’s melodramatic. He had a cyst removed. People have cysts removed ALL THE TIME!

I think the interviews are still great. 

While i do think i can guess 70% of what the questions are going to be (whats your process for writing music? How long did it take you to write this hit? Do you see a shrink? Do you think not having a relationship with your mom is the reason you haven't been married? Did you get a back-end deal on that movie? Do tou kick yourself for turning down xx movie?  When i grew up in an all black neighborhood....where you popular in HS etc..)

Where he seperates himself is his ability to make people feel comfortable where they can discuss uncomfortable situations openly even if they are not always willingly open.

Despite those basic questions his dirt digging ability to throw in several questions that often leave people wondering how he knows this stuff or complementing his ability to research his guests are pretty impressive. Especially when he can take unintersting or obscure people and make them entertaining.

I don't really listen to the show i have been just listening to his interviews 

• Like 2

Few weeks ago he said something like, "what robin went through and me to a lesser extent."

Alluding to some health scare he had.  Ha.

The show is rarely good anymore.  Howard actually ruined a richard segment this week.  Didnt think that was possible.

32 minutes ago, Tom Skerritt said:

Even that’s melodramatic. He had a cyst removed. People have cysts removed ALL THE TIME!

No doubt Stern is a drama queen but the article I read was there was a 90% chance it was cancerous and they didn’t know until the surgery.  

Think Howard has gone so tame in order to not go out like Imus.  Trying to clean up his image to coast into next phase of life.

Imus.  Michael Richards.  Think Howard was like i've done everything I wanted to in radio/comedy lets reel this in now.

The other thing to consider is he has daughters in their late 30s and a wife in her young 50s. All of that has influenced him to be more considerate to the other gender. The man has matured, some of which has led to fewer gags. Right or wrong that’s the reality 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Daywalker said:

Think Howard has gone so tame in order to not go out like Imus.  Trying to clean up his image to coast into next phase of life.

Imus.  Michael Richards.  Think Howard was like i've done everything I wanted to in radio/comedy lets reel this in now.

Not so sure I agree.  Don’t think it’s a conscious decision.  Age has a way of mellowing one out.  That fire just doesn’t burn as hot.  

4 hours ago, dkp993 said:

No doubt Stern is a drama queen but the article I read was there was a 90% chance it was cancerous and they didn’t know until the surgery.  

yep.  anyone ripping on him for being scared is nuts.

He didn't know it wasn't cancerous until he had surgery to remove it.  Everyone would be scared in his position.

Thankfully it wasn't serious, but of course he was freaking out.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Daywalker said:

He’s said it all...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wilked said:

The other thing to consider is he has daughters in their late 30s and a wife in her young 50s. All of that has influenced him to be more considerate to the other gender. The man has matured, some of which has led to fewer gags. Right or wrong that’s the reality 

I think a lot of that change was also driven by current zeitgeist and things like the #metoo movement -- Howard's whole history and career as a shock jock was built upon and revolved around things that, in today's light, can be seen in a very derogatory, exploitative lens in terms of attitudes towards women, etc.

We can argue about whether certain elements of the overall shift is too PC or not, but at end of the day, with celebrities being held to task for a single tweet years ago, this change is simply really sound risk/legal mitigation. Maturation with age is definitely a part of it as well.

I've said it before but HS is where Imus was ~20 years ago.  He used to make fun of Imus for being a crotchety old man and that's exactly what he is now.  He's a miserable person who judges everyone negatively if they do something he hasn't done before or if they do it differently from how he'd do it. It's quite incredible to see his transformation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1