What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Howard Stern*** (6 Viewers)

After close to 20yrs of daily listening I stopped shortly before COVID when my subscription came due and I was to lazy to re-up. That alone showed me how much I lost interest in the show. Was more habit then enjoyment.

Are the core guys still there? Sal, Richard, etc etc

There is no debating Stern's impact or wit, but his ADD style of interviewing is not my thing, I get that constantly interrupting his guests and asking them personal questions quickly often gets answers out of them, ones that they'd be unlikely to give up in a more normal conversation, but listening to it gets old really fast.

It was definitely in studio. There was a big deal online from a bunch of people that worked at SXM about how locked down everything was that day so no one could get near Howard. Other than that he hasn't been in the studio for 3 years.
I’m sure he’s made SXM a ton of money but they have to love having that expensive studio just sitting there.

If I were them I’d be more concerned about the ROI on his last contract. Seems like they gave up the farm considering he hardly works any more and doesn’t really put that much effort into the show. Seems like a nice parting gift from his buddy Jim Meyer (ex SXM CEO) before Jim retired.

Up until this last contract they supposedly had rights to the old shows once Howard retired. I hope they didn’t give that up, I’d love to hear the full unedited shows. I’d listen to that way more than what they are putting out now.

If I hear 10 minutes a week of his show, that's a lot. The politics and covid over reaction really made it tough to listen to. And I don't really know why, but I don't want to listen to celebrity interviews anymore. They all seem to sound so whiny and privileged and take themselves too seriously. I'd love to listen to a condensed version of just random news stories and the crew busting on each other. The fun stuff.
There's been more crew fueled stuff lately which has made the show better, but in general the show isn't what it used to be. Regarding his interviews, I find he's lost a step, oftentimes interjecting his own experience when unnecessary or changing directions without pressing.

After close to 20yrs of daily listening I stopped shortly before COVID when my subscription came due and I was to lazy to re-up. That alone showed me how much I lost interest in the show. Was more habit then enjoyment.

Sal and Richard are still there. It’s a different interaction though with most of them on a zoom thing and the staff in studio doing stunts and stuff periodically. Lots of the ‘who’s at the door’ bit where random characters pop in via zoom to do things with various inpressions .
Wack packers keep passing away more recently Fred the Elephant boy. I listen in the car a few times a week and turn off everything Bobo and really miss Eric the Actor. Hope he’s flying with balloons somewhere.

Sal and Richard are still there. It’s a different interaction though with most of them on a zoom thing and the staff in studio doing stunts and stuff periodically. Lots of the ‘who’s at the door’ bit where random characters pop in via zoom to do things with various inpressions .
Wack packers keep passing away more recently Fred the Elephant boy. I listen in the car a few times a week and turn off everything Bobo and really miss Eric the Actor. Hope he’s flying with balloons somewhere.
Bobo and Benjy have been showkillers for a long time with me.

Haven’t listened in a few years, but the lack of entertaining staff/wack packers was my biggest complaint. IMO, Sal and Richard were fazed out for a bunch of hack replacements.

The death of ETA was the turning point for me. Enjoyed how he would give it to/battle with Howard, when everyone else around him are yes men.

There is no debating Stern's impact or wit, but his ADD style of interviewing is not my thing, I get that constantly interrupting his guests and asking them personal questions quickly often gets answers out of them, ones that they'd be unlikely to give up in a more normal conversation, but listening to it gets old really fast.
Yes him interrupting people was very annoying. I don't care for his interviews at all and prefer the every day staff stuff.

I started listening to Stern in the mid-90s. I still listen, downloading the shows to my phone and listening through ear buds when I'm walking the dog or making dinner, or when I'm running errands in the car. There is definitely much more "scripted" stuff now (which I don't like that much), the most annoying of which is all the impressions. I think the big difference is that Stern isn't trying to be outrageous anymore, because he doesn't have to be -- which is understandable, people change, and he seems to hate that part of himself now. But it also seems like everything the staff does is geared toward pleasing Stern. The biggest example is Chris Wilding's "Dr. Now" impression, which is from some obscure show called "My 600 Pound Life" that nobody except Howard watches, starring some doctor that nobody has ever heard of, and it's a massive part of the Stern show now.

Anyway, the nice thing about downloading the show to my phone is I can skip over all that stuff. I still enjoy the interviews. However, I dare anyone to do a drinking game whenever Stern says, "in other words." You will be dead in 30 minutes.

Anyway, the nice thing about downloading the show to my phone is I can skip over all that stuff. I still enjoy the interviews. However, I dare anyone to do a drinking game whenever Stern says, "in other words." You will be dead in 30 minutes.
I remember a while back when he would constantly say "the fact of the matter is" It was bad enough that multiple listeners would call him and complain about it. He actually fixed himself and stopped saying it but I guess he's onto a new one now.

I started listening to Stern in the mid-90s. I still listen, downloading the shows to my phone and listening through ear buds when I'm walking the dog or making dinner, or when I'm running errands in the car. There is definitely much more "scripted" stuff now (which I don't like that much), the most annoying of which is all the impressions. I think the big difference is that Stern isn't trying to be outrageous anymore, because he doesn't have to be -- which is understandable, people change, and he seems to hate that part of himself now. But it also seems like everything the staff does is geared toward pleasing Stern. The biggest example is Chris Wilding's "Dr. Now" impression, which is from some obscure show called "My 600 Pound Life" that nobody except Howard watches, starring some doctor that nobody has ever heard of, and it's a massive part of the Stern show now.

Wilding is a hack along with most of the other writers these days. The problem with the impressions is they don’t ever write something funny for them to say….they seem to think just sounding like a famous person is comedic gold. It’s all so lazy.

You've said it all...

Wilding is a hack along with most of the other writers these days. The problem with the impressions is they don’t ever write something funny for them to say….they seem to think just sounding like a famous person is comedic gold. It’s all so lazy.
He's cringe-worthy. Instant channel change for me when he's on...

Yes him interrupting people was very annoying. I don't care for his interviews at all and prefer the every day staff stuff.
Rogan is a much better interviewer imo. He doesn’t interrupt and mostly lets the person express their viewpoints without needed to change their minds if it doesn’t lineup with his opinion. Plus the long form interview really gives you a better sense of the person.

Haven’t listened in a few years, but the lack of entertaining staff/wack packers was my biggest complaint. IMO, Sal and Richard were fazed out for a bunch of hack replacements.

Drank a shot with Beetlejuice circa 2001, and a buddy shared a joint with him. Just looked it up, surprisingly it appears he's still alive.

I know it's :deadhorse: but he's become a savage disappointment. He's basically like listening to my Jewish nana, and I can't afford to drift off while I'm driving.

He's one of the reasons I got Satellite Radio in the first place - but I don't even have his station as one of my presets anymore.

But when he was good...he was unbelievably good.

He's basically like listening to my Jewish nana, and I can't afford to drift off while I'm driving.
He has become exactly what he used to mock.
well, that happens to all of us. Yes, over time howard started to sound more and more like his mother. I think his COVID paranioa and his dad's passing are big things that have killed the "fun" of the show and his leaning on some tired bits don't help either. I listen, still, but I am about to get a new car that will not have a SXM hook up and I'm not too saddenned by it.

As a fan, I wish we could swap Eric the actor with High pitch. whenever High pitch is on the radio I'm on another station

He's basically like listening to my Jewish nana, and I can't afford to drift off while I'm driving.
well, that happens to all of us. Yes, over time howard started to sound more and more like his mother. I think his COVID paranioa and his dad's passing are big things that have killed the "fun" of the show and his leaning on some tired bits don't help either. I listen, still, but I am about to get a new car that will not have a SXM hook up and I'm not too saddenned by it.

As a fan, I wish we could swap Eric the actor with High pitch. whenever High pitch is on the radio I'm on another station
I also get the trade off - he's not going to get the high profile interviews he wants if his show is labeled as actively misogynistic or otherwise gross.

High Pitch is awful. I turn him off as well. Howard is running low on wack packers. Hank will always be my #1.

High Pitch is awful. I turn him off as well. Howard is running low on wack packers. Hank will always be my #1.
he's running low and I think he thinks his staffers make a decent substitute for the wack pack in terms of content. The porblem, of course, is the stafferes all lick his ***

Hank will always be my #1.
Hank had a good heart. He was angry, not mean. All he wanted out of life was to drink beer, listen to classic rock and be left alone.

An all-time great listen was when Howard had on Randy Bachman and Hank together, and he quizzed them on who could name the most songs in the Bachman-Turner Overdrive oeuvre. Hank dusted Bachman, naming each song on each album in correct sequence.

Hank will always be my #1.
Hank had a good heart. He was angry, not mean. All he wanted out of life was to drink beer, listen to classic rock and be left alone.

An all-time great listen was when Howard had on Randy Bachman and Hank together, and he quizzed them on who could name the most songs in the Bachman-Turner Overdrive oeuvre. Hank dusted Bachman, naming each song on each album in correct sequence.
Hank beating Gary in music trivia was awesome.

I listened to him all the way back in the late 90s. I remember when he used to spend days making fun of the Magic show on late night TV.

Nowadays he spends his time kissing celebrity butt. As others have said, he’s turned into a person he would used to make fun of. I’m sure getting older, remarried to Beth, and therapy has made him into who he is now. Not faulting him for who he is now but it’s changed the show.

At this point it’s clear he made his money and he’s going to ride the wave until he wants to stop or SiriusXM is not getting value out of his contract any longer.

The political talk, lack of fresh content and being completely surrounded by “yes” people has turned the show into a bore. I lasted until Brent left. It was interesting when he was talking about his swinger lifestyle. At least he would stir it up with staff.

At this point I listen to 101 and that’s it.

It was a good run and I thank him for many years of entertaining me. But I’ve moved on and know many others who have as well.

Meanwhile there is an interview with Bill Maher who says at this point he doesn’t expect Howard to ever leave his house again due to his germophobia. He’s like a modern day Howard Hughes at this point.

Haven’t listened to him for years cause I was too cheap to pay for XM premium. He was funny way back but it sounds like he needs to give it up

I can understand Howard has changed over the years - I truly get it....I along with many other fans just dont enjoy it anymore. What I cant forgive is the travesty that is Howard 101. He has decades of amazing content and he never plays it or its so sanitized that its not funny anymore. There should be a channel just streaming old shows starting from the start or full classic unedited shows. Its an absolute waste of content sitting there. I personally think Howard hates who he was and the old shows make him cringe. I truly hope that someday the vault is opened and we can enjoy the absolute politically incorrectness and insanity that made us fans in the first place.

With the passing of the Iron Sheik and Pat Cooper, I watched a bunch of old clips and could not stop laughing.

(No links because they are all NSFW).

Artie dressed up as the Iron Sheik and screaming: You stole the Camel Clutch!!

The so-called Randy "Macho Man" Savage on the phone triggering the Iron Sheik into rage.

Pat Cooper ranting to Howard about Howard not calling him for three months, like he was a jilted ex-lover.

Pat's daughter: what would you like me to tell your grandchildren about their grandfather?

Pat: tell them he was the classiest man on the face of the earth

Pat's daughter: well then they would call me a liar.

Joe Biden live in-studio interview today. I’m about half way through it and it’s pretty good so far. There was no pre-promotion and Howard doesn’t broadcast on Thursday or Friday, so wanted to give any fans here a heads up.

Joe Biden live in-studio interview today. I’m about half way through it and it’s pretty good so far. There was no pre-promotion and Howard doesn’t broadcast on Thursday or Friday, so wanted to give any fans here a heads up.
Howard has lost a lot of fans including myself going too political. I am sure this was just softball questions bashing Trump. No thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread