What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How many consecutive coaches (1 Viewer)

:hey: Three. Bill Parcels, Al Groh, and Herman Edwards.Though, don't you think Edwards would've been fired if KC hadn't wanted him so bad? Well, judging from the above, probably not. :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
:hey:

Three. Bill Parcels, Al Groh, and Herman Edwards.

Though, don't you think Edwards would've been fired if KC hadn't wanted him so bad? Well, judging from the above, probably not. :lmao:
:bag: Higher

Belicheck was coach for a day before he resigned. Wrote a note to the head office that contained maybe 20 words. Supposedly he did not like Woody Johnson at all. Imagine what the landscape of the NFL would look like right now if Leon Hess hung on for 2-3 more years, Woody Johnson doesn't the team. Belicheck might be the Jet coach.

Belicheck was coach for a day before he resigned. Wrote a note to the head office that contained maybe 20 words. Supposedly he did not like Woody Johnson at all. Imagine what the landscape of the NFL would look like right now if Leon Hess hung on for 2-3 more years, Woody Johnson doesn't the team. Belicheck might be the Jet coach.
Today I'm resigning as the HC of the NYJ. :eyeroll:In The Education of a Coach, this time in Belichick's life is briefly touched on. His failure in Cleveland was due in part to problems with Art Modell, and Belichick knew that he was pigeonholed as only a DC under Parcells. Belichick wanted total control, and with NO owner at the time (the team was being sold by Hess' estate, and Woody Johnson and the Dolans were the top candidates to buy the team, and neither were impressive to BB) AND Parcells staying on as the man in the FO, Belichick wasn't sure what autonomy he would have. He knew that he absolutely had to succeed in HC try #2, and he didn't want to take any chances with Parcells and no owner around. He got along well with Kraft, and thus bolted to NE.

Did the Jets fire Pete Carroll or did they just not renew his contract?
My memory doesn't go back that far, but I'm pretty sure they fired Carroll. A couple of reasons for that:1) He went to be DC for SF the next season

2) Leon Hess said "I want to win now" and brought in Kotite. (An oxymoron of the highest proportions).

Also, Carroll was a very successful DC for the Jets (despite his all O/no D performance at USC this year). The Jets likely signed him to a decent deal (maybe a 3 yr contract) to be promited from DC; I doubt they let his contract just run out. He was probably canned.

Of note, was that the team was 6-5 before the fake spike play by Marino that sent the team into a tailspin.

Belicheck was coach for a day before he resigned.  Wrote a note to the head office that contained maybe 20 words.  Supposedly he did not like Woody Johnson at all.  Imagine what the landscape of the NFL would look like right now if Leon Hess hung on for 2-3 more years, Woody Johnson doesn't the team.  Belicheck might be the Jet coach.
Today I'm resigning as the HC of the NYJ. :eyeroll:In The Education of a Coach, this time in Belichick's life is briefly touched on. His failure in Cleveland was due in part to problems with Art Modell, and Belichick knew that he was pigeonholed as only a DC under Parcells. Belichick wanted total control, and with NO owner at the time (the team was being sold by Hess' estate, and Woody Johnson and the Dolans were the top candidates to buy the team, and neither were impressive to BB) AND Parcells staying on as the man in the FO, Belichick wasn't sure what autonomy he would have. He knew that he absolutely had to succeed in HC try #2, and he didn't want to take any chances with Parcells and no owner around. He got along well with Kraft, and thus bolted to NE.
Thanks for the refresher. I could have sworn Woody had just purchased the team though, and BB did not care for him at all after an introductory meeting. May have had less to do than the other things mentioned, but that is the story I heard.

Belicheck was coach for a day before he resigned.  Wrote a note to the head office that contained maybe 20 words.  Supposedly he did not like Woody Johnson at all.  Imagine what the landscape of the NFL would look like right now if Leon Hess hung on for 2-3 more years, Woody Johnson doesn't the team.  Belicheck might be the Jet coach.
I haven't read that book yet but it's an interesting take on what happened that week.The press at the time made it sound like Parcells was planning to stay on as head coach, keeping Belichick as his assistant. BB was being courted by Bob Kraft heavily for total control of the Pats. Tuna got word of it, and knowing the language in Belichick's contract that essentially "forced" him into the HC role, resigned from the coaching staff to keep BB with the Jets.

I've probably butchered the explanation, but that was the media play in NY and Boston at the time...

Thanks for the refresher. I could have sworn Woody had just purchased the team though, and BB did not care for him at all after an introductory meeting. May have had less to do than the other things mentioned, but that is the story I heard.
Jan. 4: A day after taking over as head coach, Bill Belichick stuns Jets and the football world by resigning as head coach citing uncertainty of new ownership situation. Jets president Steve Gutman says Belichick has a signed contract "that is clear, unambiguous and specific with respect to the areas of uncertainty that he (Belichick) has raised today so far as they relate to football and the New York Jets."Jan. 11: The Estate of the late Leon Hess, owner of the Jets since 1963, announces that it has entered into a definitive agreement with Robert Wood Johnson IV to sell the New York Jets for $635 million. The NFL finance committee unanimously agreed to recommend to the league the approval of the sale to Johnson at its meeting on Jan. 18. The executors of the Hess Estate said: "The late Leon Hess was the proud owner of the Jets since 1963. He had a special love for the team and its many loyal fans. The Hess family will remain strong supporters of the Jets and wishes Mr. Johnson, Bill Parcells, the entire Jets organization and players every success in the future and thanks the many loyal Jets fans."

Jan. 18: Woody Johnson is unanimously approved as the new owner of the Jets and sets forth future plans: to keep the continuity and stability in tact by keeping Bill Parcells on as director of football operations and Steve Gutman as president, finding a new home for the Jets and the goal of bringing a championship team to Greater New York.

Anyway, the answer is 6:2005: Herm's rights are traded to the Chiefs2000: Al Groh resigns2000: Bill Belichick resigns2000: Bill Parcells resigns1997: Bill Belichick switches from HC to DC1996: Rich Kotite "steps aside" ["I wasn't fired and I'm not quitting"]

Anyway, the answer is 6:

2005: Herm's rights are traded to the Chiefs

2000: Al Groh resigns

2000: Bill Belichick resigns

2000: Bill Parcells resigns

1997: Bill Belichick switches from HC to DC

1996: Rich Kotite "steps aside" ["I wasn't fired and I'm not quitting"]
:lmao: - that press conference was gold!Q: So you were fired?

A: No

Q: So you have resigned?

:lmao:

Anyway, the answer is 6:

My personal highlight was having 3 different HCs resign in one year -- 2000.While all were shocking, the Groh one was particularly surprising. IIRC, I was watching the Dolphins-Colts playoff game, when I saw on the ticker that Jets HC Al Groh re-signs. I thought, hmm...cool.

30 minutes later the ticker comes on again, and I see it actually said "Jets HC Al Groh resigns."

Anyway, the answer is 6:

My personal highlight was having 3 different HCs resign in one year -- 2000.While all were shocking, the Groh one was particularly surprising. IIRC, I was watching the Dolphins-Colts playoff game, when I saw on the ticker that Jets HC Al Groh re-signs. I thought, hmm...cool.

30 minutes later the ticker comes on again, and I see it actually said "Jets HC Al Groh resigns."
Only the Jets - coach leaves a playoff ready NFL team to accept the head coaching position at.....Univeristy of Virginia! No comment on the rumor that Herm Edwards was going to leave for the Hofstra HC position if KC didn't step in!

Woody must really be an jackass to scare away all these coaches

Users who are viewing this thread