What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is the most overrated player on this list? (1 Viewer)

Who is the most overrated player on the list?

• Barry Sanders

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Emmitt Smith

• Bo Jackson

• Brett Favre

• Dan Marino

• Donovan McNabb

• Peyton Manning

• Michael Vick

• Randy Moss

• Terrell Owens

• Total voters
Where exactly is the "old school" part of this list? Or is pro football pre 1985 "ancient school"?

Of those choices, I'd go Vick 1 and Bo Jackson 2.I'm shocked Bo doesn't have ONE vote.He never really accomplished too much in the NFL other than humiliating The Boz.

Other: Troy Aikman
Quite possibly one of the dumbest posts I have ever had to read. Yeah, the guy has three Super Bowl Rings, he was way over rated. You probably voted for Emmitt too right?

The Hatred for the Cowboys is ridiculous. :rolleyes:

How could you vote McNabb? He singlehandedly got the Eagles to the playoffs from 2000-2003.
I hate the Eagles but for McNabb to be on this list is just as ridiculous as....well most of the list....

Quite possibly one of the dumbest posts I have ever had to read. Yeah, the guy has three Super Bowl Rings, he was way over rated. You probably voted for Emmitt too right?

Wrong, wrong and more wrong.Emmitt is a hall of fame RB and deserves being mentioned with the best ever.

Aikman was a very good QB when he had all the weapons around him but did almost nothing when the Cowboys weren't a top team. I read a stat that backup Jason Garrett had the same W-L record as Aikman during the last few seasons of his career. Emmitt continued to play at a high level at all times, unlike Aikman. Staubach was a great QB and Aikman isn't even close to being as good as him. But Aikman is always mentioned as a top 10 QB of all time and this is ridiculous. Staubach was top 10 all time. And as you can tell, I am not a Cowboy hater.

Wrong, wrong and more wrong.Emmitt is a hall of fame RB and deserves being mentioned with the best ever.

Aikman was a very good QB when he had all the weapons around him but did almost nothing when the Cowboys weren't a top team. I read a stat that backup Jason Garrett had the same W-L record as Aikman during the last few seasons of his career. Emmitt continued to play at a high level at all times, unlike Aikman. Staubach was a great QB and Aikman isn't even close to being as good as him. But Aikman is always mentioned as a top 10 QB of all time and this is ridiculous. Staubach was top 10 all time. And as you can tell, I am not a Cowboy hater.
Whoever told you that stat was full of crap. Garrett hardly even got a snap, maybe his winning percentage was the same since he maybe started 2 games and won one of them.The post salary cap Cowboys were crap and possibly had the worst coaches ever. Aikman did a lot to make Emmitt a hall of fame QB. Without Aikman Emmitt couldn't have put up those type of numbers. No one could stack the line against the Cowboys because if you did Aikman would burn you. I am not saying Aikman is a Top ten best ever QB but to say he was over rated is garbage. :rant:

Whoever told you that stat was full of crap. Garrett hardly even got a snap, maybe his winning percentage was the same since he maybe started 2 games and won one of them.I am not saying Aikman is a Top ten best ever QB but to say he was over rated is garbage. :rant:
Sounds like we agree that Aikman is definitely not a Top 10 QB of all time. The problem is I almost always hear that Aikman IS a Top 10 of all time, and that is really garbage. That's where I'm coming from with this "overrated" talk. I saw the Jason Garrett stat twice during televised games.Did you ever see Staubach play? He was great as I mentioned.

Of those choices, I'd go Vick 1 and Bo Jackson 2.

I'm shocked Bo doesn't have ONE vote.

He never really accomplished too much in the NFL other than humiliating The Boz.
Revisionist history.

I was ready to roll with Vick too, but he did QB the first win by a road team in a playoff game at Lambeau. So with that, I voted for Moss. While he has had some monster years, he hasn't turned his teams into instant winners either and his attitude (walking off the field) and some of the off-the-field stuff has hurt - and he doesn't have the benefit of TO Super Bowl heroics. Couldn't go with Bo - he was spectacular before he got injured (and of course the all time greatest player in the history of Tecmo Bowl ;) ) The only tough thing with Moss is of course as a WR he's dependent on the QB.Perhaps a mini-hijack would be who would be more fun to have on this list?Dan Fouts perhaps?Dare I say Joe Namath?Every Bronco RB of the last 10 years (given the line play)? :)Tony Gonzalez?Willis McGahee?-QG

He never really accomplished too much in the NFL other than humiliating The Boz.
Completely agree.They guy had 2,782 yards and 16 touchdowns in four seasons and by the way people talk about him you'd think he was a lock in the HOF if he hadn't gotten hurt. He could make the HOF for marketing to be sure.

Completely agree.They guy had 2,782 yards and 16 touchdowns in four seasons and by the way people talk about him you'd think he was a lock in the HOF if he hadn't gotten hurt. He could make the HOF for marketing to be sure.
Bo was a badass. If he hadn't played baseball, and got hurt, he would have had one hell of a career. He had a 5.4 ypc for his career. The most carries he got in a year was 173, he had 950 yards that season. Wasn't he also splitting time with Marcus Allen?

Every Bronco RB of the last 10 years (given the line play)? :)
Terrell Davis would have been a stud in any system, and Clinton Portis is proving that he was no product of the system, either. Olandis Gary was TREMENDOUSLY overrated, as was Quentin Griffin. Neither would start for any other team. I think Tatum Bell is pretty overrated, as well. He's very good, but he's not a very complete RB, and everyone talks about him like he's the next Clinton Portis.I think Mike Anderson and Reuben Droughns might actually be UNDERRATED, because they frequently get dismissed as simply products of the system. As Droughns has demonstrated, part of the reason why Denver's system works so well is that Denver is very good at identifying good RBs. I think both Droughns and Anderson would be 1,000 yard rushers on any half-way credible team in the NFL (read: anyone but the Cardinals).

As for the poll... it was a tough vote. I very much longed to vote Vick, but public perception seems to be catching up to reality on him. He gets hated on a ton now, which probably leaves him pretty accurately rated. Instead, I went with Marino. Yes, everyone knows that he is #1 in history in passing yards. Of course, he's also #1 in passing attempts. I have a sneaking suspicion that one of those things is a result of the other...

If Drew Bledsoe becomes the NFL's pass attempt leader and breaks Marino's yardage mark, will he get mentioned as one of the five best QBs of all time, too?

you should really take vick off the list its too obvious with him on there.also Bo would've been the greatest of all time save for the botched hip fix which was delayed by some dumb#### doctor that led to him never being able to play again. no one that big, that fast, and that talented will ever be seen again. BO KNOWS. how could anyone vote him as overrated when he's completely left out of every RB discussion, they couldn't talk about him less if he never existed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I voted Vick just because of who was on the list. I am not one that necessarily thinks Vick is overated.As for Bo Jackson, you also need to remember that in atleast 2 of his NFL seasons he only played in about 10 games. He would play baseball until first part of October then join the Raiders. IMO, Bo is the greatest professional athlete in my lifetime.

Bo was a badass. If he hadn't played baseball, and got hurt, he would have had one hell of a career. He had a 5.4 ypc for his career. The most carries he got in a year was 173, he had 950 yards that season. Wasn't he also splitting time with Marcus Allen?
Ugh.Thanks for reminding me. So the guy never had more than 173 carries in a season but he would have been one of the best ever. We know this because if we "project that out over.....".

Has any other offensive NFL player actually had more commercials than TD's in his career?

Bo Jackson definitely would be a HOF'er had he not gotten hurt. IMO, the best power / speed back ever.

Jackson's career is not that much different than Sayers'. Sayers played 30 more games but their career and per game averages are eerily similiar, as are the circumstances behind their short-lived stints in the NFL. Plus, as was stated, Jackson was sharing the backfield and missed a few games to the baseball season each year. He lived up to all the hype and was one of, if not the best, natural athletes I have ever seen.

I somewhat agree with this. One of the reasons I got sick of watching any games involving the Cowboys was because I got tired of their bland offense. I got sick of watching Aikman just lob those little screen passes to Emmitt in the flats and then watching Emmitt make everyone look silly. That team was "The Emmitt Show" and they had a damn good defense as well. In Aikman's defense, he probably did what was asked of him and probably could have done more, but to me, it was boring. :bag:

Basing this on what has been accomplished or could be accomplished, I got to go with BO.He has no possiblity of living up to the hype.Vick has a chance at least.

Basing this on what has been accomplished or could be accomplished, I got to go with BO.

He has no possiblity of living up to the hype.

Vick has a chance at least.
You can't call someone overrated because he got hurt and had to quit football. There wasn't a more dominating RB while Bo Jackson was playing.

Basing this on what has been accomplished or could be accomplished, I got to go with BO.

You can't call someone overrated because he got hurt and had to quit football. There wasn't a more dominating RB while Bo Jackson was playing.
That's interesting. Jackson never rushed for more than 1,000 yards and scored 18 TDs in 4 NFL seasons. In fact, 3 of his 4 season he rushed for less than 700 yards.Eric Dickerson and Barry Sanders had some very nice seasons during the period that Jackson played.

That's interesting. Jackson never rushed for more than 1,000 yards and scored 18 TDs in 4 NFL seasons. In fact, 3 of his 4 season he rushed for less than 700 yards.Eric Dickerson and Barry Sanders had some very nice seasons during the period that Jackson played.
Didn't Jackson only play part seasons because of baseball? Yes, some other great backs played during that time, but I said that Bo was the best combination power / speed back during that time, IMO. He never played in more than 11 games, and averaged 5.4 ypc. The one game he played 11, he got 950 yds. Of course Dickerson was damn good also.

Didn't Jackson only play part seasons because of baseball? Yes, some other great backs played during that time, but I said that Bo was the best combination power / speed back during that time, IMO. Of course Dickerson was damn good also.
I think he was a very gifted athlete and I wish we could have seen more from him.

Didn't Jackson only play part seasons because of baseball? Yes, some other great backs played during that time, but I said that Bo was the best combination power / speed back during that time, IMO. Of course Dickerson was damn good also.
I think he was a very gifted athlete and I wish we could have seen more from him.
As a part time player (7,10,10,11 games) because of baseball, and 5.4 ypc, he did pretty well. Of course he could have done more had he stayed healthy, but calling him overrated is just wrong.

:popcorn:

Who doesn't, or didn't, live up to the hype?
I voted for Vick. However, had his name not been on here, Bo Jackson would have been my runaway choice. :yes: Bo Knows Hype
I wouldn't call someone who's candle burned hot for a short period of time because of injury overrated. Would you still be calling him overrated had he not played baseball and devoted all his time to football? Would you be calling him overrated had he played 10 years and not played baseball?

All of this Bo Jackson love is making me ill. People keep talking about what he COULD have done. He COULD have put up monster numbers if he hadn't gotten hurt.He COULD have put up monster numbers when playing if he hadn't played baseball. He COULD have been one of the greatest runners ever. Coulda, woulda, shoulda. The bottom line is he DIDN'T! It is fun to speculate on what a player might have done if he hadn't gotten hurt or whatever, but when discussing how good someone's career was, what he DID should be the only factor, not what he COULD have done.

All of this Bo Jackson love is making me ill.  People keep talking about what he COULD have done.

He COULD have put up monster numbers if he hadn't gotten hurt.

He COULD have put up monster numbers when playing if he hadn't played baseball.

He COULD have been one of the greatest runners ever.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda.  The bottom line is he DIDN'T!  It is fun to speculate on what a player might have done if he hadn't gotten hurt or whatever, but when discussing how good someone's career was, what he DID should be the only factor, not what he COULD have done.
True, but overrated he was not. Again, I don't think you can label someone overrated based upon injury.

Who doesn't, or didn't, live up to the hype?
I voted for Vick. However, had his name not been on here, Bo Jackson would have been my runaway choice. :yes: Bo Knows Hype
I wouldn't call someone who's candle burned hot for a short period of time because of injury overrated. Would you still be calling him overrated had he not played baseball and devoted all his time to football? Would you be calling him overrated had he played 10 years and not played baseball?
But he DID play baseball and he DID get hurt. :confused: Would people still call Michael Jordan the best basketball player ever if he had torn his ACL as a rookie and failed to ever win a title?

Would people still call Ron Dayne a bust if he had rattled off six consecutive 1,500 yard seasons?
Would the Saints still be considered a woeful franchise if they'd won three of the last four Super Bowls?We're discussing whether a player IS or IS NOT overrated, not whether they might have been perceived differently under different circumstances.

But he DID play baseball and he DID get hurt. :confused:

Would people still call Michael Jordan the best basketball player ever if he had torn his ACL as a rookie and failed to ever win a title?

Would people still call Ron Dayne a bust if he had rattled off six consecutive 1,500 yard seasons?
Would the Saints still be considered a woeful franchise if they'd won three of the last four Super Bowls?We're discussing whether a player IS or IS NOT overrated, not whether they might have been perceived differently under different circumstances.
Big difference between the Ron Dayne analogy and Bo Jackson, and that is that Bo played well the short period of time he played. How is that overrated? If Michael Jordan got hurt after playing well for a few seasons, I don't think anyone would call him overrated. Maybe they would call him unlucky, which is what I call Bo Jackson. Again, calling someone overrated because of injury is not something I'm ready to do. I respect your opinion, but I disagree with it.Edited to say that perception DOES go along way in my interpretation of being overrated. I don't perceive Bo as being a bust had he stayed healthy. Bo certainly wasn't overrated while he was playing

Would people still call Michael Jordan the best basketball player ever if he had torn his ACL as a rookie and failed to ever win a title?

Big difference between the Ron Dayne analogy and Bo Jackson, and that is that Bo played well the short period of time he played. How is that overrated? If Michael Jordan got hurt after playing well for a few seasons, I don't think anyone would call him overrated. Maybe they would call him unlucky, which is what I call Bo Jackson. Again, calling someone overrated because of injury is not something I'm ready to do. I respect your opinion, but I disagree with it.
It's overrated because many people speak of Bo as an all-time great that just happened to get hurt on the way to a Hall of Fame career. Couldn't be further from the truth...How many 100-yard rushing games did Bo Jackson have in his NFL career?

How many 1,000-yard seasons?

How multiple TD games?

Was he a good receiver?

Big difference between the Ron Dayne analogy and Bo Jackson, and that is that Bo played well the short period of time he played. How is that overrated? If Michael Jordan got hurt after playing well for a few seasons, I don't think anyone would call him overrated. Maybe they would call him unlucky, which is what I call Bo Jackson. Again, calling someone overrated because of injury is not something I'm ready to do. I respect your opinion, but I disagree with it.
It's overrated because many people speak of Bo as an all-time great that just happened to get hurt on the way to a Hall of Fame career. Couldn't be further from the truth...How many 100-yard rushing games did Bo Jackson have in his NFL career?

How many 1,000-yard seasons?

How multiple TD games?

Was he a good receiver?

I guess that's where I'm misunderstood. I don't look at Bo as one of the all-time greats. I just don't look at him as being overrated, because he didn't get a chance to prove he is overrated. He played very well for the short time he played. I think that falls into a different category than overrated because of injury. Like I said earlier, you can't look at 1000 yard seasons, because he was only a part time player because of baseball. He had a 5.4 ypc for his career. I don't know how many 100 yd games he had, but my guess there is a few considering his YPC. He only played 4 seasons of 7, 10, 10, and 11 games.

I find it amusing that JohnnyU feels Bart Starr is overrated but Bo Jackson isn't.
Starr played for a million years and didn't put up the stats. Bo didn't have that chance.

I find it amusing that JohnnyU feels Bart Starr is overrated but Bo Jackson isn't.
Starr played for a million years and didn't put up the stats. Bo didn't have that chance.
He only let the Packers to multiple championships including two Super Bowls.Once you learn to look beyond stats that took place in a different era, you will understand why Starr is considered one of the great QBs to play the game. His accomplishments prove that.

He only let the Packers to multiple championships including two Super Bowls.Once you learn to look beyond stats that took place in a different era, you will understand why Starr is considered one of the great QBs to play the game. His accomplishments prove that.
Yes, he was a winner, played on great teams, and had mediocre career stats. Unitas played during the same era and had great career stats. Well, I've already been down that road with Starr, so I will pass on any further judgements.

Honest question and in no means is this in a mean spirited tone. I am just very curious, as the message board has a strong 35 plus crowd and strong sub 25 crowd. How many of the Jackson detractors were over the age of 15, while he was playing, and how many are folks that are currently in their 20's that would have been infants or toddlers, while he was in his prime? Are you speaking from a first hand account having watched him play football with a clear recollection and ability to comprehend what he did on Saturdays and Sundays or are you talking from what you have heard word of mouth or vaguely remember? Put the Gatorade spots, Nike adds and poster shot (you know, the black and white shot in pads with bat?) aside a minute. If you have a clear memory of him in college and in the NFL, how can you say he was not as advertised prior to the injury? He was sharing the backfield with Allen, HOF, and Steve Smith. Shanahan was the coach a couple of those years. He missed time due to the baseball season. In his short seasons Jackson still averaged 5.4 YPC and scored 18 times in 38 games while splitting time with Allen the entire time. The guy was an absolute physical specimen and menace on both the football and baseball field. Being someone that was playing college football at the same time as Jackson, I can honestly say he did exactly as expected in not one but two sports before the injury. Overrated and hype are two different things, opinion. Jackson was on every billboard, magazine cover and commerical spot available for a couple of years. However, the guy could play two sports at extremely high levels. He produced. Yes, it was only for a small period of time but he put up the numbers when he was healthy. He did not fail to perform. Overrated, opinion, is someone that fails to meet expectations and underperforms. I just do not see where Jackson failed in either of his professional careers to warrant being tagged overrated.

232 votes and ZERO for TO?!?And three people think Barry Sanders was overrated? :eek: Maybe drug-testing FBG members isn't such a bad idea after all.

Honest question and in no means is this in a mean spirited tone. I am just very curious, as the message board has a strong 35 plus crowd and strong sub 25 crowd. How many of the Jackson detractors were over the age of 15, while he was playing, and how many are folks that are currently in their 20's that would have been infants or toddlers, while he was in his prime?

Are you speaking from a first hand account having watched him play football with a clear recollection and ability to comprehend what he did on Saturdays and Sundays or are you talking from what you have heard word of mouth or vaguely remember?

Put the Gatorade spots, Nike adds and poster shot (you know, the black and white shot in pads with bat?) aside a minute. If you have a clear memory of him in college and in the NFL, how can you say he was not as advertised prior to the injury? He was sharing the backfield with Allen, HOF, and Steve Smith. Shanahan was the coach a couple of those years. He missed time due to the baseball season. In his short seasons Jackson still averaged 5.4 YPC and scored 18 times in 38 games while splitting time with Allen the entire time.

The guy was an absolute physical specimen and menace on both the football and baseball field. Being someone that was playing college football at the same time as Jackson, I can honestly say he did exactly as expected in not one but two sports before the injury.

Overrated and hype are two different things, opinion. Jackson was on every billboard, magazine cover and commerical spot available for a couple of years. However, the guy could play two sports at extremely high levels. He produced. Yes, it was only for a small period of time but he put up the numbers when he was healthy. He did not fail to perform.

Overrated, opinion, is someone that fails to meet expectations and underperforms. I just do not see where Jackson failed in either of his professional careers to warrant being tagged overrated.
I wish I could have expressed my opinion of Jackson the way you did. Good job.

Users who are viewing this thread