What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What kind of WINE did you drink last night? (2 Viewers)

2010 Switchback Ridge Petite Sirah
2010? that's infanticide.

how was it?
Very solid wine even at its young age.

I had been on the Switchback Ridge waiting list for over a year and finally was able to purchase wine for their 2010 release. I bought 3 bottles of merlot, 3 petite sirah, and 3 old vine petite sirah.

I decided to cellar the old vine and 2 of the regular sirahs so I opened up one to try it out. Fantastic wine very smooth, great mouth feel, and excellent balance. Plus it is 16.1% ABV ;) . Looking forward to seeing how it turns out after it is aged for years.
I'm impressed - hard as hell to get yeast to ferment wine all the way to dry at that ABV let alone be well balanced. Only commercial wine I've ever had at 16% was a shiraz that the restaurant was selling at half price - can't remember the producer but was pretty much firewater and we sent it back.

2010 Switchback Ridge Petite Sirah
2010? that's infanticide.

how was it?
Very solid wine even at its young age.

I had been on the Switchback Ridge waiting list for over a year and finally was able to purchase wine for their 2010 release. I bought 3 bottles of merlot, 3 petite sirah, and 3 old vine petite sirah.

I decided to cellar the old vine and 2 of the regular sirahs so I opened up one to try it out. Fantastic wine very smooth, great mouth feel, and excellent balance. Plus it is 16.1% ABV ;) . Looking forward to seeing how it turns out after it is aged for years.
I'm impressed - hard as hell to get yeast to ferment wine all the way to dry at that ABV let alone be well balanced. Only commercial wine I've ever had at 16% was a shiraz that the restaurant was selling at half price - can't remember the producer but was pretty much firewater and we sent it back.
the old vine sirah is 16.6% :thumbup:

Any recommendations on a bottle opener. We have one of those Houdini/rabbit type (not sure of the brand). It's worked well and I like that type but it's worn out and need another.
http://www.beveragefactory.com/wine/wineopeners/waiter/5100RD.shtml?CAWELAID=1372130142&catargetid=1553582277&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CM6dv_Os9rcCFUOi4AodRDUAAw

I use a hinged wine opener. Nothing fancy but works every time.
Nah. Got that. Those Houdini/rabbit type are the best. Pop/pop and open.
if you have the means, i highly recommend this.
"No Thanks!"

F that. I'm getting gift wrapping AND a damn greeting card. That'll teach them to try to make a profit on me.

had a 1986 Carmenet Cabernet Sauvignon (88% Cab, 7% Merlot, 5% Cab Franc) on Saturday night.

color was a beautiful brick-red. it didn't show much at first, but after about 45 minutes the nose opened up to show strong notes of licorice, tobacco, and bell pepper. those aromas continued through on the palate, with an addition of blackberry, black cherry and a bit of rose petal. maybe the best 20+ year old Cab i've had, and probably in the top 10 that i've tasted.

Let me ask a better question (for the Jules' of the world, I guess): What's the NEXT Kosta Browne? Whose list should I be getting on today because I won't be able to do so tomorrow and you believe the wine is going to be completely worth the hype? Any suggestions? Or "F that. There's plenty of good wine out there without bothering. Just ignore it all."

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me ask a better question (for the Jules' of the world, I guess): What's the NEXT Kosta Browne? Whose list should I be getting on today because I won't be able to do so tomorrow and you believe the wine is going to be completely worth the hype? Any suggestions? Or "F that. There's plenty of good wine out there without bothering. Just ignore it all."
i would explore regions that you like. i like santa rita hills, gevery chambertin. try multiple different producers, find something you like. buy it. unless it's an investment whotf cares if robert parker, et all like it. all that matters is if you like it. maybe you'll get lucky and hit the next big thing

Do some research on good or up and coming winemakers - or at least ones you like - and find ones that are changing jobs. A lot of times some no-name place lands a hotshot and a few vintages later it gets really good.

i would explore regions that you like. i like santa rita hills, gevery chambertin. try multiple different producers, find something you like. buy it. unless it's an investment whotf cares if robert parker, et all like it. all that matters is if you like it. maybe you'll get lucky and hit the next big thing
I don't care if Robert Parker, et al like it. I don't bother reading or paying attentiont to most reviews. But I'd like to try them on occasion to find out what the hype's all about. Getting ahead of that seems more interesting than just paying $120 for something because it's being hyped. I'd much prefer jumping on and off a few allocation lists to get to a few I like. But guidance in getting there doesn't hurt.

I became much more interested in Kosta Browne, for example, when we toured Pride and the guy pouring for us kept going on about how amazing their wine is and how much he looks forward to receiving his allocation. It felt much more genuine than anything you read from WE or the like.

the next KB is probably Rhys or Carlisle, and their lists is full(ish).

here's a few of my favorite "new" wineries (new in the sense that the wine-geeks have found them, but the general public has little to no idea. this list not based on TWA/WS scores):

- EnGarde Wine

- Bedrock Wine Co.

- Tercero

- Amelle Wines

- August West

- Cellars 33

- Egan Cellars

- Red Car Wine Co.

- A.P. Vin

- Roadhouse Winery

- Holdredge Wines

above all: buy what you like, drink what you like.

Kosta Browne worth the ridiculous prices?
i tasted there a few weeks back. went through the 2011 SLH, SC, and RRV appellation wines, and tried the 2011 "116" Chardonnay. SLH came out on top for me of the new releases. tasted through 20-25 barrel samples too. 2012 seems to be living up the hype across the board.

as far as KB being worth the price, it depends on the price in question. would i pay release price (i.e. $58 plus tax)? probably. but much north of that i'd probably have to pass. would i pay the retail price (i.e. $115 at the local wine shop)? no. but then again, if i'm not on the list, then this may be the only way to get a hold of some. i guess it depends on your perception of value.

No way...there are a ton of good Oregon pinot's for 1/3 the price that are equally as good. The last KB i had was good not great and at over 100 per bottle it had better knock my socks off. I will never understand the cult following of pinot/[SIZE=9.5pt]Burgundy.[/SIZE]

the next KB is probably Rhys or Carlisle, and their lists is full(ish).

here's a few of my favorite "new" wineries (new in the sense that the wine-geeks have found them, but the general public has little to no idea. this list not based on TWA/WS scores):

- EnGarde Wine

- Bedrock Wine Co.

- Tercero

- Amelle Wines

- August West

- Cellars 33

- Egan Cellars

- Red Car Wine Co.

- A.P. Vin

- Roadhouse Winery

- Holdredge Wines

above all: buy what you like, drink what you like.
i will add a few that are relatively inexpensive:

- Flying Goat

- Arcadian (good chard and syrah as well)

- Foley

My city (pasadena) has an annual Pinot Fest where you are able to taste hundreds of california pinot's. If you are a big fan you should check it out.....

2004 chateau latour
Don't leave us hanging like that.
I'm not wine expert by any means, but I loved this wine. I opened this up mid dinner party and only gave it an hour to breathe, but you can tell it's a VERY good wine. At 9 years old I'd probably sit on it at least another 5 years if you have any in your cellars.
You opened that up at a dinner party? I hope you had some serious wine friends there or are just ridiculously wealthy.

That's a wine you should have quietly with one other person.

Maybe you only do that with the '05 or '09 though. :)

No way...there are a ton of good Oregon pinot's for 1/3 the price that are equally as good. The last KB i had was good not great and at over 100 per bottle it had better knock my socks off. I will never understand the cult following of pinot/[SIZE=9.5pt]Burgundy.[/SIZE]
Burgundy shows the most expression of its terrior. Even though it is grown in many regions of the world, it is a two mile wide and thirty mile long stretch of chalk laden hills of Burgundy that creates the stir in a wine lovers heart. You want the most elaborate flavor, aroma, or bouquet in a wine? Pinot Noir is the one for you.

Open up a bottle of Beaune Vigne de L'Enfant Jesus and you will understand why we love Burgundy

I know next to nothing about wine, but figured you guys could help me out. My wife was out with her friend and ordered a wine that she loved. It's in my best interest to find out where I can buy this wine. Here is all the text from the bottle:

"erben von beulwitz 2010 Kaseler Nies' chen riesling kabinett"

Any advice on where to go to order this online, or where to find it in a B and M store? I've looked at BevMo and no luck. And I've searched online and it's just a bunch of weird confusing sites that keep popping up.

Any help is appreciated.

Now back to the bourbon thread...
Here's a 2009
Awesome. She's insistent on trying to find the 2010 because she "knows she'll like it." But I'll go with the 2009 if we can't find the 2010. Thanks.
I forgot to check back in here and say "Thanks." This was perfect and the wife is very happy.

I know next to nothing about wine, but figured you guys could help me out. My wife was out with her friend and ordered a wine that she loved. It's in my best interest to find out where I can buy this wine. Here is all the text from the bottle:

"erben von beulwitz 2010 Kaseler Nies' chen riesling kabinett"

Any advice on where to go to order this online, or where to find it in a B and M store? I've looked at BevMo and no luck. And I've searched online and it's just a bunch of weird confusing sites that keep popping up.

Any help is appreciated.

Now back to the bourbon thread...
Here's a 2009
Awesome. She's insistent on trying to find the 2010 because she "knows she'll like it." But I'll go with the 2009 if we can't find the 2010. Thanks.
I forgot to check back in here and say "Thanks." This was perfect and the wife is very happy.
:thumbup:

Well, I have a noon appointment today to sit down with Rod Berglund from Joseph Swan Vineyard to taste his new releases. Any requests?

had a staff blind-tasting of Syrah this AM. here's the lineup with the group ratings (mine in parentheses) of each flight and a few impressions.

Flight One

1. 2009 Terlato Syrah, Block #9, Dry Creek Valley - wine of the flight and wine of the tasting. floral component shined through on the nose. complex flavors and aromas of dried herbs, tar, tea, blue, red, and black fruits. nice weight on the palate and balanced acidity. (3)

2. 2009 Enkidu Kick Ranch Syrah, Sonoma County - deep, complex flavor profile featuring blueberry, blackberry, meat, and spice. (2)

3. 2009 Canihan "Exuberance" Syrah, Sonoma Valley - nose opened with time in the glass, aggressive tannin profile and definite minerality. (1)

4. 2009 Copain Yorkville Highlands Syrah, Mendocino County - sweet red fruit on the nose, with notes of eucalyptus and black tea. acidity on the finish was very sharp and out of balance, lacked any discernible mid-palate, hollow. (4)

5. 2008 Ty Caton Ballfield Syrah, Sonoma Valley - nose showed dark fruit early, and not much more with time in glass. there was a mustiness about this wine which put some people off, the finish was sour fruit lacking in acidity. (5)

Flight Two

1. 2008 Enkidu Odyssey Syrah, Russian River Valley - high tones of eucalyptus and dried herbs on the nose. continued on the palate with dark, rich fruits and a meaty/bloody/gaminess consistent with cool-climate Syrahs. (3)

2. 2007 Herman Story Whitehawk Vineyard Syrah, Santa Barbara - lush, rich and dense. tons of blue and black fruit throughout. a little RS which was not offputting, and a creamy finish. (2)

3. 2008 Gard Vintners Lawrence Vineyard Syrah, Columbia Valley - candied cherry and raspberry on the nose and palate. came off a little hot, though that blew off with time in glass. big, bright fruit notes will be a crowd-pleaser, not necessarily a food wine. (4)

4. 2006 Westwood Annadel Estate Vineyard Syrah, Sonoma Valley - floral notes on the nose, but took some time to show other components. dark spices came through on the palate, and a chalkiness (whole cluster?) too. some people complained about high VA in this one. (1)

5. 2007 Ceja Syrah, Sonoma Coast - weedy, green, herbaceous, onion skins on the nose. little to no fruit to be found in this wine, and little to no acid as well. almost undrinkable. (5)

i hadn't done a blind-tasting in a while, so this was a nice refresher. with this format it really make me concentrate on what's being presented and make careful evaluations. done in a group setting, with varying opinions being offered on each wine, hammered home the subjectivity to be found in wine.

Let's talk Gewürztraminers. I'm not a big white wine guy. But I find that I'm drawn to Pinot Grigios and Gewürztraminers. The problem shopping for Gewürztraminers is that the selections around here suck. I find buttloads of Chardonnays, a good selection of Sauvignon Blancs and Pinot Grigios and a decent selection of Reislings. But I never find more than one or two Gewürztraminers. Given the barren local landscape, I'd be willing to go online and order a case of something that's considered to be top notch. Anyone here a Gewürztraminer fan with some suggestions?

Let's talk Gewürztraminers. I'm not a big white wine guy. But I find that I'm drawn to Pinot Grigios and Gewürztraminers. The problem shopping for Gewürztraminers is that the selections around here suck. I find buttloads of Chardonnays, a good selection of Sauvignon Blancs and Pinot Grigios and a decent selection of Reislings. But I never find more than one or two Gewürztraminers. Given the barren local landscape, I'd be willing to go online and order a case of something that's considered to be top notch. Anyone here a Gewürztraminer fan with some suggestions?
IMO the best ones come from cool climates which, in the USA, means OR or the higher elevations of CA. Quint probably knows the CA side of this but very few OR vineyards are producing gewrzes these days. Chardonnay is making a huge comeback here and apparently older gewurz blocks are being grafted over. Sucks, as I'm a fan of gewurz myself and have considered planting a small block of it.

Eola Hills and Amity are ones you may be able to find commercially - I haven't had either in a while but they used to do pretty good ones. If I run across one in my travels here I'll post it.

FYI, if you're into pinot grigio and gewurz and haven't tried pinot blanc, give it a shot. Shouldn't cost more than $20-25 for a nice one.

i don't drink a lot of Gewurztaminer, but this is pretty tasty.

Gunlach Bundschu Gewurtzaminer

IMO the best ones come from cool climates which, in the USA, means OR or the higher elevations of CA. Quint probably knows the CA side of this but very few OR vineyards are producing gewrzes these days. Chardonnay is making a huge comeback here and apparently older gewurz blocks are being grafted over. Sucks, as I'm a fan of gewurz myself and have considered planting a small block of it.

Eola Hills and Amity are ones you may be able to find commercially - I haven't had either in a while but they used to do pretty good ones. If I run across one in my travels here I'll post it.

FYI, if you're into pinot grigio and gewurz and haven't tried pinot blanc, give it a shot. Shouldn't cost more than $20-25 for a nice one.

Ordered a bottle to try it out. :thumbup:

What's your favorite local bottle that I could order online? Even if you just want to pimp your winery, I'm cool with that.

Buc, you too.

What's your favorite local bottle that I could order online? Even if you just want to pimp your winery, I'm cool with that.

Buc, you too.
In 2015, I'll actually have wine to pimp.

Man, we're blessed with so many quality producers here. Here are some suggestions at a few different price points:

Under $40 - Utopia 2010 Estate Pinot Noir

$40-60 - Ayoub 2011 Estate Pinot Noir

Over $60 - Alexana 2010 Signature Pinot Noir (full disclosure - I worked harvest here last year).

If you want some on the white side, let me know.

Ordered a bottle to try it out. :thumbup:
the alcase region is your friend. explore it. new zealand and italy would work as well.

Buc, you too.
In 2015, I'll actually have wine to pimp.

Man, we're blessed with so many quality producers here. Here are some suggestions at a few different price points:

Under $40 - Utopia 2010 Estate Pinot Noir

$40-60 - Ayoub 2011 Estate Pinot Noir

Over $60 - Alexana 2010 Signature Pinot Noir (full disclosure - I worked harvest here last year).

If you want some on the white side, let me know.
Never really liked the whites much. :mellow:

I actually did enjoy much of the pinot gris we sampled when we were there.

ETA: Thanks. Will probably look into a few of these.

Yes. Rose petal, lychee fruit, gardenia, honeysuckle, white pepper, pasion fruit, mango, and sometimes a touch of petrol.

From Germany - Villa Wolf from the Pfalz Region

From California - Alexander Valley Vineyards

From California - Breggo from Anderson Valley

From Oregon - Bethel Heights from Willamette Valley

From France - Spend a little money and get some Zinck Grand Cru Eichberg from Alsace. They also have one a little less priced in their Portrait line. One of my favorite makers is Hugel. Just beautiful wines all around.

To me, Gewurtz tastes like if you mulled some holiday spices in a Riesling.
If you're saying Gewurtraminer kicks Reisling's ###, I agree.
It's just different. Prefer Riesling though
It's spicy versus sweet. I prefer spicy.
Actually Christo, the majority of the Riesling made in the world is dry.
You learn something new every day. Every Riesling I've had tasted like grape juice to me.

Yes. Rose petal, lychee fruit, gardenia, honeysuckle, white pepper, pasion fruit, mango, and sometimes a touch of petrol.

From Germany - Villa Wolf from the Pfalz Region

From California - Alexander Valley Vineyards

From California - Breggo from Anderson Valley

From Oregon - Bethel Heights from Willamette Valley

From France - Spend a little money and get some Zinck Grand Cru Eichberg from Alsace. They also have one a little less priced in their Portrait line. One of my favorite makers is Hugel. Just beautiful wines all around.

You learn something new every day. Every Riesling I've had tasted like grape juice to me.
I don't like sweet Riesling. You should check out some dry ones.

Chateau St. Michele is decent, cheap, and it's everywhere. They even make one called "dry riesling" which is really dry (too dry for me) but the regular one is nice.

I don't like sweet Riesling. You should check out some dry ones.

Chateau St. Michele is decent, cheap, and it's everywhere. They even make one called "dry riesling" which is really dry (too dry for me) but the regular one is nice.
It's funny you say that. The Gewurztraminer I have in my fridge right now is a Chateau St. Michelle.

Buc, you too.
lots to choose from here in Sonoma Valley. some of my favorites:

Loxton Wines- 2009 Rossi Ranch Syrah

Keating Wines - 2010 Buchignani Zinfandel

Enkidu Wines - 2009 Tina Marie Pinot Noir

Hawkes - 2008 Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

Bump Wines - 2009 Zinfandel

not sure what your ideal price point is. this should be a decent cross-section.

I have said it before. Riesling is my favorite varietal in the wine world. Alsace is my favorite region in all of France and probably in this world. (Although I also love the Alto-Adige, Champagne, Tuscany, and Piedmonte) The varietals of the Alsace and the food make for my favorite times and travels. Beautiful cheeses and smoked fish and meat with those whites. The under valued Pinot Blanc, Pinot Gris, Muscat, Sylvaner, Riesling, Gewurztraminer, and lighter Pinot Noirs. Looking for wonderful bubbles without breaking the bank? Cremant d'Alsace is your friend so go and seek a bottle of Gustav Lorentz! Actually, Gustav has a wonderful line of wine and liqueurs

Buc, you too.

I used to sell a lot of wine from Inspiration Vineyards in Sonoma

Buc, you too.

I used to sell a lot of wine from Inspiration Vineyards in Sonoma
i know they had a tasting room near Santa Rosa for a while, but i think they've moved it to their production facility in RRV. i'll have to check them out the next time i taste in the area.

People don't realize how sweet certain everyday foods are

Dry Alsatian Riesling has 3.1g of sugar per 750ml

Skim Milk has 37.5g of sugar per 750ml

Users who are viewing this thread