What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will baseball's All-Star Game give HFA for Series? (1 Viewer)

Footballguy
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/al...ar-status_x.htm

"This time it counts." Or does it? Less than one month before Major League Baseball's 77th annual All-Star Game in Pittsburgh, baseball has not reached an agreement with the players union that will reward the winner with home-field advantage in the World Series.

"I'm surprised. I'm not aware of that at all," said Fox Sports president Ed Goren, whose network televises the game and whose marketing campaign uses the slogan, "This Time It Counts."

"In fact, I was under the impression that it was in place this year. Maybe it just counts for us. I don't know."

Commissioner Bud Selig said he is optimistic an agreement will soon be reached to retain the 3-year-old format, but confirmed that nothing is in place.

"We're still hopeful," Selig said, "because I think it's really good for the game. Everyone likes it. The owners. The players. The sponsors. It just adds a lot of meaning."

Said Donald Fehr, executive director of the players association: "We're still talking to them, so we'll see. It's something that has to be negotiated."

The All-Star Game format was changed in 2003 after the previous year's All-Star Game in Milwaukee ended in a 7-7 tie when both teams ran out of pitchers. MLB and the players union originally negotiated a two-year deal and extended the agreement last year. They were hoping to have a multiyear deal this season, but with fan balloting nearing an end for the July 11 game, have instead begun focusing on this year's game.

"I think originally we had hoped that we would have sort of a permanent resolution to this issue," said Rob Manfred, MLB executive vice president/labor relations and human resources. "Time has become pressing because we're getting closer to the game. We decided to focus on a one-year agreement and hopefully have a multiyear done with the next (labor) agreement.

"I'm very optimistic we'll have 'This Time It Counts' for this year's All-Star Game."

Said Goren: "I sure hope something is done because it's become a better All-Star Game with this format. The baseball All-Star Game for years ran counter to every sporting event you televised. From the seventh inning on, when the game was competitive, a lot of marquee players were pulled from the game, and the interest diminished.

"The thing this has accomplished is that managers have taken a somewhat different approach to the game. They've kept their marquee players in the game longer. We're seeing sacrifice bunts, hit and runs, stolen bases, things we haven't seen before. It wasn't a point where you ever questioned the intensity of players, but how many at-bats the key players got. You don't worry about that anymore."

Yet another horrible idea from baseball.
Real difficult to see what makes it worse than the old rule.
By allowing a meaningless game to have an effect on the postseason.The old rule was simply to alternate every year, correct? I'd prefer that to allowing the All-Star Game to decide home field.

So you should replace a bad rule with another bad rule just for the sake of changing it? Does anyone care if the all-star game ends in a tie anyway?

I hope Guillen wrecks Mariano's arm by pitching him 4 innings and thereby solidifies home-field advantage for the Sox. :thumbup:

By allowing a meaningless game to have an effect on the postseason.The old rule was simply to alternate every year, correct? I'd prefer that to allowing the All-Star Game to decide home field.
Yeah that was the old rule.If the choice of awarding HFA is the roll of the dice vs. a game between the stars of the two leagues, I'd choose the latter. Sure it doesn't mean much, but it obviously adds a bit of interest to the game, and just about guarantees that we won't see a tie. ;)

Yeah that was the old rule.If the choice of awarding HFA is the roll of the dice vs. a game between the stars of the two leagues, I'd choose the latter. Sure it doesn't mean much, but it obviously adds a bit of interest to the game, and just about guarantees that we won't see a tie. ;)
If it alternates each year, I don't consider that a "roll of the dice."If I was on, for example, the Dodgers, and we made it all the way to the World Series, but did not have home field advantage because it happened to be the AL's year, I could deal with that and be fine with it. Fair is fair. But if home field had been decided by some nonsensical midseason exhibition game that had absolutely nothing to do with the two teams involved in the World Series (and let's face it, it is obviously not necessarily played by the very best from both leagues), I'd be pretty pissed if the series went 7 games.

Users who are viewing this thread