What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

BASEBALL > Most Impressive Season Start (1 Viewer)

Who's had the most impressive start to the season

• Pujols (.308 - 25HR - 65RBI)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mauer (.381 - 5HR - .970OPS)

• Santana (2.99ERA - 6W - 104K)

• Papelbon (0.26ERA - 22SV - 0.77WHIP)

• Other

• Total voters

[icon]

Insoxicated
Okay... we're rapidly approaching the all star break and are now about 1/3 of the way through the season. Who's had the most impressive start to the year?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim Thome / Jose Contreras :popcorn:
Contreras leads in no major statistical categories. He's got 7 wins... a very good era... and a low-ish K total. Thome has a pretty nice HR total 22 but is far from leading the league... also he's only hitting .270-something and striking out over once a game.

Neither belong in this list.

If I had to vote MVP in the AL right now Id say Jeter & Papelbon Cy Young

In the NL Id say MVP right now is Pujols & Webb is Cy Young

who wins nl mvp if pujols were to not come back?

lance b?

david wright?

it's a stumper of a question

lance b?

david wright?

Arent all indications that he should be back in a few weeks? Either way I think if he were out all year, Wright or even Delgado or Beltran could win MVP.

I don't get the jeter love....

Sure he's got a high AVG... but Mauer has a much higher AVG.... higher OPS.. same amount of HRs...fewer RBI (expected when you look at the two offenses).. has struck out half as many times as Jeter.... you can factor in the fielding but Mauer has posted much better numbers there as well.

Jeter is having a great year but he's not the MVP of the first third of the season :no:

lance b?

david wright?

Soriano? His numbers are out of control at this point though the team is not doing much

]I don't get the jeter love....

Sure he's got a high AVG... but Mauer has a much higher AVG.... higher OPS.. same amount of HRs...fewer RBI (expected when you look at the two offenses).. has struck out half as many times as Jeter.... you can factor in the fielding but Mauer has posted much better numbers there as well.

Jeter is having a great year but he's not the MVP of the first third of the season :no:
The Twins suck. Mauer is having a great offensive season but he wont win MVP. Put it this way, Jeter is hitting .330, hes on pace for 100 RBIs, hes batting 3rd in our lineup.Matsui & Sheffield are out for most of the season, ARod is having a horrible month of June, Randy Johnson is looking like hes 85 years old, our bullpen is in shambles, yet we're still in 1st place. Its all because Jeter is holding this team together off the field and offensively as well. Nobody else on the team has been as consistent offensively as Jeter except Cano.

There's nobody else on any other good team dominating offensively except Ortiz, Rios, or Thome. Thome and Ortiz are both DHs and from past experience they wont win an MVP. If you wanna argue Rios is the MVP I can give you that. But this could be like the year where Barry Larkin won MVP. Jeter is putting up solid numbers across the board while carrying a team to 1st place while no other legitamite candidates exist. Its only 1/3 of the way thru so someone else can emerge but right now I think Jeter is my choice for MVP.

,Jun 18 2006, 12:31 PM]I don't get the jeter love....

The Twins suck. Mauer is having a great offensive season but he wont win MVP. Put it this way, Jeter is hitting .330, hes on pace for 100 RBIs, hes batting 3rd in our lineup.Matsui & Sheffield are out for most of the season, ARod is having a horrible month of June, Randy Johnson is looking like hes 85 years old, our bullpen is in shambles, yet we're still in 1st place. Its all because Jeter is holding this team together off the field and offensively as well. Nobody else on the team has been as consistent offensively as Jeter except Cano.

There's nobody else on any other good team dominating offensively except Ortiz, Rios, or Thome. Thome and Ortiz are both DHs and from past experience they wont win an MVP. If you wanna argue Rios is the MVP I can give you that. But this could be like the year where Barry Larkin won MVP. Jeter is putting up solid numbers across the board while carrying a team to 1st place while no other legitamite candidates exist. Its only 1/3 of the way thru so someone else can emerge but right now I think Jeter is my choice for MVP.
Good arguement, but I was kinda wanting other people's opinions, not predicting the official end of season MVP based on the skewed MLB standards (ie must come from a good team...must not be a DH...etc).If you want to operate under a skewed set of cirumstances where you're only considering players from playoff contenders, etc then yes, Jeter will be a contender come year end.

Right now he's having a great year but he hasn't put up any numbers that truly stand out over everyone else. :shrug:

The Twins suck. Mauer is having a great offensive season but he wont win MVP. Put it this way, Jeter is hitting .330, hes on pace for 100 RBIs, hes batting 3rd in our lineup.
You play for the Yankees?

The Twins suck. Mauer is having a great offensive season but he wont win MVP. Put it this way, Jeter is hitting .330, hes on pace for 100 RBIs, hes batting 3rd in our lineup.
That is SO old and lame. Newsflash, fans associate themselves with the teams that they root for.

I hate when people say this. You DO realize 95% of fans do this and its common practice to do so.

If you wanna argue Rios is the MVP I can give you that.
I was going to do this but his average has started to fall and it's still a bit premature IMO.I will say that Rios will win a league MVP at some point in his career though.

]
I hate when people say this. You DO realize 95% of fans do this and its common practice to do so.
:goodposting:
Did he answer the question?Btw, Nice Jeep!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I don't know about you guys but that reliever in Boston has me

insoxicated!!!1!!11@

and why can't a reliever win the MVP?

So you do? Are you the ball boy?

Halladay > Santana.
There's no GM in baseball that would take Halladay over Santana.
I'm not so sure about that. Halladay is far more consistent and he works deeper into games. Santana has the better stuff and is "better" when he is "on." Just depends on what you prefer.

Halladay > Santana.
I'm not so sure about that. Halladay is far more consistent and he works deeper into games. Santana has the better stuff and is "better" when he is "on." Just depends on what you prefer.
Johan averages 7 ip/game the past two years. That's plenty deep. And Roy hasn't pitched a full season since 2003. Not sure how you see Halladay is more consistent by looking at their 3-year numbers.

As for this year, they're pretty close. Roy is #2 in VORP and Johan is #4.

Johan was #2 last year, Roy #10;

Johan was #1 in 04, I stopped looking for Roy after the top-60.

Not sure where you're seeing how Roy is more consistent.

Halladay > Santana.
Johan averages 7 ip/game the past two years. That's plenty deep. And Roy hasn't pitched a full season since 2003. Not sure how you see Halladay is more consistent by looking at their 3-year numbers.

:fishing: I actually feel bad about this one because it looks like you did some research. It is hard to argue with the dominance of Santana over the past 2 1/2 to 3 years. Throw in the fact that he's a lefty, and you're probably right that all 30 GMs have him as the #1 pitcher in the league. Roy is a nice pitcher though. In Roy's defense, he was well on his way to a Cy Young season last year before a fluke injury. 2004 was pretty bad, but his 2003 Cy Young season was pretty good.

Halladay > Santana.

:fishing: I actually feel bad about this one because it looks like you did some research. It is hard to argue with the dominance of Santana over the past 2 1/2 to 3 years. Throw in the fact that he's a lefty, and you're probably right that all 30 GMs have him as the #1 pitcher in the league. Roy is a nice pitcher though. In Roy's defense, he was well on his way to a Cy Young season last year before a fluke injury. 2004 was pretty bad, but his 2003 Cy Young season was pretty good.
:confused: Roy's an awesome pitcher. Johan's better. He's also younger and left-handed and hasn't had the injury problems Roy has.Roy is great, but no GM would trade Johan for him.

Assuming Northern Homer was simply stating that Halladay > Johan this year, it's far too early and far too close to call right now, imo.

Halladay > Santana.

:confused: Roy's an awesome pitcher. Johan's better. He's also younger and left-handed and hasn't had the injury problems Roy has.Roy is great, but no GM would trade Johan for him.

Assuming Northern Homer was simply stating that Halladay > Johan this year, it's far too early and far too close to call right now, imo.
I know, I was actually agreeing with you. I was fishing with Roy > Johan.

Halladay > Santana.

I know, I was actually agreeing with you. I was fishing with Roy > Johan.
Sorry, not used to you agreeing with me.

,Jun 18 2006, 12:31 PM]I don't get the jeter love....

I don't see any possible way you can make an argument that Jeter is a better MVP candidate than Mauer right now. Mauer is clearly having a better offensive year, is also holding his team together, and not to mention he's a one of the best defensive catchers in baseball. I'll be interested to see how these results change if Mauer is still hitting .381 come August.

Halladay > Santana.

Go Rays Go. :thumbup: I don't think Santana is a better pitcher. As a GM, you'd likely take Santana because of Halladay's injury history. As a fantasy owner, you'd take Santana for his K's. As a bench boss looking for a win when both are healthy, give me Halladay.

Go Rays Go. :thumbup:
Way to get swept by the Marlins. :thumbup: Getting trash-talked by a Jays fan must be like a football fan getting trashed talked by a Lions fan. :loco:

I don't think Santana is a better pitcher.
Of course you don't. You're a blind homer with no ability to seperate yourself and your opinions from your team. All the numbers are in Johan's favor. But keep those blue-shaded goggles on, I don't mind the laughs. :thumbup:

Go Rays Go.  :thumbup:
Way to get swept by the Marlins. :thumbup: Getting trash-talked by a Jays fan must be like a football fan getting trashed talked by a Lions fan. :loco:

Of course you don't. You're a blind homer with no ability to seperate yourself and your opinions from your team. All the numbers are in Johan's favor. But keep those blue-shaded goggles on, I don't mind the laughs. :thumbup:
Last I checked the Jays had 2 world series wins in the 90's and were a lot closer to the playoffs than the D-Rays. I guess getting trashed talk by you is like getting trashed by a Winnipeg Blue Bombers fan.Anyway, I'm done with your trolling now. Not sure what numbers other than K's Santana has over Doc this year, certainly not wins or ERA.

Go Rays Go.   :thumbup:

Last I checked the Jays had 2 world series wins in the 90's and were a lot closer to the playoffs than the D-Rays. I guess getting trashed talk by you is like getting trashed by a Winnipeg Blue Bombers fan.Anyway, I'm done with your trolling now. Not sure what numbers other than K's Santana has over Doc this year, certainly not wins or ERA.
:lmao: :lmao: at 1992 smack.I guess Pirates fans should jump in too. HEY, WE WERE GOOD 15 YEARS AGO!!!

Thankfully, I have no idea what the Winnipeg Blue Bombers are.

And way to completely ignore all the numbers from the past 3 years that completely owned you, then accuse me of trolling while providing said facts, and then run 1992 smack and talk about how Halladay is better because he has one more win on the season ( :lmao: ).

Good times. I'll PM crosseyes and tell him to come in here and brag about the 93 Buccos. :hophead:

And way to completely ignore all the numbers from the past 3 years that completely owned you, then accuse me of trolling while providing said facts, and then run 1992 smack and talk about how Halladay is better because he has one more win on the season ( :lmao: ).

Good times. I'll PM crosseyes and tell him to come in here and brag about the 93 Buccos. :hophead:
Past three years? Halladay was lapping the competition for the Cy Young when he got hurt last season, 2 years before that, he did win it.Anyway, keep fishing, I expect nothing less than ignorance from you.

This guy hasn't provided one statistical or factual reason why Halladay is better, and accuses me of ignorance. :lmao:

Take it to the shark pool guy.

Is this an MVP thread or a most impressive start thread? In the AL...

If it's impressive start, then it is Papelbon. If it is MVP, then it is Jeter.

Papelbon couold be the Cy Young, but if Rivera didn't win last year when there was no clear cut starter to claim the trophy and he had possibly his best season, then Papelbon will need to continue this pace to win it with several starters having great seasons.

Derek Jeter has been the rock for the Yanks, every bit of the captain and leader that he is. Mauer is having a fine season, but until this week, the Twins were underperforming and a lot of the credit for this win streak has to go to Kubel, who had some huge hits and Morneau who has come out of his slump.

In the NL...

Brandon Wood has been impressive and the leading Cy Young candidate. I'm also impressed with Chris Capuano...this pace will earn him some Cy Young votes. Tom Glavine may stay in the hunt too.

MVP-wise, how can you not vote for Pujols? If the injury keeps him out another 4 weeks and the Cards continue to play well, AND David Wright continues to step his game up, there could be a competition brewing. Yes, Delgado and Beltran are having great seasons, but Wright stabilizes this team.

One thing that may hurt Pujols, is that the Cards have not fallen without him.

NL - Hard one here, maybe Wright/Webb

AL - Jeter/Papelbon or Rogers

Doesn't playing on a winning team count for anything? The Twins are .500 and 11 games out. I don't see a legit MVP coming from a .500 team unless there is a year where a guy from that team is leaps and bounds above the other candidates.

As a bench boss looking for a win when both are healthy, give me Halladay.
Oh mother####ing bull####.
Holy homer comment, BatmanAlthough I agree. I'd take Santana any day of the week.

There are very few people I would take over him (Schilling, Pedro). Halladay is not going to be one of those names. Especially with no playoff track record.

Santana may have lost more 1-0, 2-1, 3-2 games over the last 3 years than any other pitcher in the last 30 years.

Imagine those stats if those turn into wins, or NDs.

Users who are viewing this thread