What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

AL MVP : Justin Morneau (1 Viewer)

Footballguy
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article...sp&c_id=mlb

MINNEAPOLIS -- Justin Morneau had some stiff competition when it came to earning American League Most Valuable Player honors, and that was just on his team.

But while the Twins had multiple candidates for the league's award, Morneau came out on top Tuesday as he was announced as this year's American League MVP.

Despite many people expecting Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter to win the award, Morneau's breakout season earned him the honor bestowed by the Baseball Writers' Association of America.

All Morneau did in 2006 was to put together one of the best offensive seasons in Twins history. The first baseman hit .321 with 34 home runs, 97 runs scored and 130 RBIs, ranking second only to Boston's David Ortiz, who led the AL with 137 RBIs. He was the first Twins player to hit 30 or more home runs in a season since 1987, and his 130 RBIs rank second best in team history to Harmon Killebrew's 140 in 1969.

But while it was a career year for the 25-year-old, it didn't begin that way. Coming off the 2005 season, in which he hit just .239 with 22 home runs and 79 RBIs, Morneau was on a similar track after the first two months of the 2006 season. A rough road trip on the West Coast at the start of June showcased all that had been going wrong for the both the club and Morneau, but everything soon changed.

After June 8, Morneau had the best batting average in the Majors (.362). In that stretch, Morneau also had the most hits in baseball (145) and the most RBIs in the AL (92). And it doesn't take much to link the Twins' turnaround to Morneau's emergence, as the club was 25-33 through June 7 before going 71-33 the rest of the season, the best record in the Majors during that span.

Morneau's turnaround came after a meeting with Twins manager Ron Gardenhire on that West Coast road trip, when the first baseman dedicated himself fully to baseball.

"I think [Morneau] put it best -- you get tired of making outs," Gardenhire said at the time. "You kind of have to figure out what you have to do to get better as a player and a person, and I think he said it best. He was tired of not getting it done."

Morneau certainly proved himself to be among the best in the league, but he wasn't the only Twin to receive votes for the award. Both Joe Mauer and Johan Santana also earned consideration for the prestigious honor.

Mauer made history in 2006, becoming the first American League catcher to win a batting title, as he hit .347 on the year. The 23-year-old was also the youngest batting champion since Alex Rodriguez (21) in 1996.

The consistency that Mauer showed throughout the season was enough to leave most of his teammates in awe, including Morneau.

"I watch Joe and he makes it look so easy," Morneau said earlier this season. "Everybody wants to hit like that. Everyone can kind of learn from the way he hits and his approach, as he doesn't seem to chase too much. Having a guy like that around helps me and everyone else, really."

Santana already earned some postseason hardware, as he was named the AL Cy Young Award winner last week. Santana held the honor of pitching's Triple Crown, as he was tied for the lead in wins (19) and led the league in ERA (2.77) and strikeouts (245).

But while others questioned who should be the MVP -- of either the Twins or the AL -- Santana felt the answer to both questions was simple.

"My money would be on Justin Morneau," Santana said last week. "If you go by the numbers, he has the numbers. And if you go by what he did for our team, it's just amazing."

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, this is from the Rob Neyer chat on ESPN. Oh by the way, he generally thinks Jeter is overrated, but thought he deserved this award.

Joe Monte (San Diego): Justin Morneau won the 2006 MVP

Rob Neyer: (2:06 PM ET ) Indeed he did. Which is clearly the wrong choice. The up-side is that there's clearly still plenty of room in my business for young men who enjoy facts. Justin Morneau was not one of the five best players in the American League.

Interesting, this is from the Rob Neyer chat on ESPN. Oh by the way, he generally thinks Jeter is overrated, but thought he deserved this award.Joe Monte (San Diego): Justin Morneau won the 2006 MVP Rob Neyer: (2:06 PM ET ) Indeed he did. Which is clearly the wrong choice. The up-side is that there's clearly still plenty of room in my business for young men who enjoy facts. Justin Morneau was not one of the five best players in the American League.
Santana deserved it more than Jeter did IMO... It is really tough to give it to someone that comes from a $200 million team as even if they have injuries, they can go out and get an Abreu and so forth...I think that is why Jeter didn't win it...

Interesting, this is from the Rob Neyer chat on ESPN. Oh by the way, he generally thinks Jeter is overrated, but thought he deserved this award.Joe Monte (San Diego): Justin Morneau won the 2006 MVP Rob Neyer: (2:06 PM ET ) Indeed he did. Which is clearly the wrong choice. The up-side is that there's clearly still plenty of room in my business for young men who enjoy facts. Justin Morneau was not one of the five best players in the American League.
Santana deserved it more than Jeter did IMO... It is really tough to give it to someone that comes from a $200 million team as even if they have injuries, they can go out and get an Abreu and so forth...I think that is why Jeter didn't win it...
First off, a pitcher should never win an MVP award. Secondly, if there are 3 guys on a team who finish in the top 5 in the MVP award, how does one win?!?If there are 3 guys who were "Most valuable" on the same team, doesn't that defeat the purpose?!?Jeter was the Yanks MVP this year despite what the payroll is. The guy had a MVP season. I think Mauer deserved it more than Morneau.

As a Twins fan, I'm happy Morneau got the recognition for his great season. :thumbup:

That sound you hear in the background is his forthcoming fat contract getting even fatter.

Hmmmmmph - I thought it would go to Jeter. It's a hard argument to say any other Twins player was the reason for the team finishing where they did. Morneau's numbers really spiked this year. I guess enough so that the voters thought he was the MVP of the entire American League? MVP of the Twins I agree, but the whole league? Well... I guess he's the beneficiary of weak MVP class. Nobody really stood out, but I thought Jeter's 30+ SB would be enough to put him over the top of the other nominees.

Bad decision.

Jeter deserved it.

It actually hurt him (didn't help him as many believe) that he was with the Yankees. This is b/c most of America loves to hate the Yankees - so they actually look for reasons not to vote for Jeter.

When you combine everything: BA, OPS, Win shares, VORP, RBI, Runs, Stolen Bases, leader, intagibles, etc - there is no way Jeter shouldn't have won this.

One voter had him 6th. I mean, there is no way anyone can convince me that guy wasn't flat out looking for a way NOT to have Jeter win. 6th?! There were only 4 top guys: Jeter, Mauer, Morneau, and possibly Santana (depending on where you stand on a pitcher winning MVP award). So 6th?!

First off, a pitcher should never win an MVP award. Secondly, if there are 3 guys on a team who finish in the top 5 in the MVP award, how does one win?!?If there are 3 guys who were "Most valuable" on the same team, doesn't that defeat the purpose?!?Jeter was the Yanks MVP this year despite what the payroll is. The guy had a MVP season. I think Mauer deserved it more than Morneau.
You said a moutful daddy, it kind of cancels out the value! I would have put my man Thome up there, but if not him, Jeter is the clean cut case for the bling bling!

First off, a pitcher should never win an MVP award.
Why is that?MVP is "Most Valuable Player" and the last time I checked, the pitcher is still a player... Yeah they have the Cy Young, but I don't have a problem with a pitcher getting the MVP award...Of course, a lot of voters have blinders on like you do and won't vote for a pitcher even if they deserve it...

Bad decision.Jeter deserved it.It actually hurt him (didn't help him as many believe) that he was with the Yankees. This is b/c most of America loves to hate the Yankees - so they actually look for reasons not to vote for Jeter.When you combine everything: BA, OPS, Win shares, VORP, RBI, Runs, Stolen Bases, leader, intagibles, etc - there is no way Jeter shouldn't have won this.One voter had him 6th. I mean, there is no way anyone can convince me that guy wasn't flat out looking for a way NOT to have Jeter win. 6th?! There were only 4 top guys: Jeter, Mauer, Morneau, and possibly Santana (depending on where you stand on a pitcher winning MVP award). So 6th?!
Actually, when you consider that Jeter makes more than the Twins, I'd say he couldn't be the MVP.

Why is that?MVP is "Most Valuable Player" and the last time I checked, the pitcher is still a player... Yeah they have the Cy Young, but I don't have a problem with a pitcher getting the MVP award...Of course, a lot of voters have blinders on like you do and won't vote for a pitcher even if they deserve it...
:goodposting: He wasn't the MVP of his team (see Rivera), much less the AL. I like the choice, though I would have probably voted for Mauer.

Starting pitchers make 30-35 appearances a year. That is only 20% of the schedule. They created the Cy Young award so pitchers would get recognized too.

I think Mauer deserved it more than Morneau.
No way.

Bad decision.Jeter deserved it.It actually hurt him (didn't help him as many believe) that he was with the Yankees. This is b/c most of America loves to hate the Yankees - so they actually look for reasons not to vote for Jeter.When you combine everything: BA, OPS, Win shares, VORP, RBI, Runs, Stolen Bases, leader, intagibles, etc - there is no way Jeter shouldn't have won this.One voter had him 6th. I mean, there is no way anyone can convince me that guy wasn't flat out looking for a way NOT to have Jeter win. 6th?! There were only 4 top guys: Jeter, Mauer, Morneau, and possibly Santana (depending on where you stand on a pitcher winning MVP award). So 6th?!
He's obviously the leader of the most popular/most well known team in the league, but I can't agree that he deserved to win it based on this season alone.

:goodposting: He wasn't the MVP of his team (see Rivera), much less the AL. I like the choice, though I would have probably voted for Mauer.
That (Rivera) was true for most of the last decade. Jeter was the Yanks MVP this year.

Interesting, this is from the Rob Neyer chat on ESPN. Oh by the way, he generally thinks Jeter is overrated, but thought he deserved this award.

Rob Neyer: (2:06 PM ET ) Indeed he did. Which is clearly the wrong choice. The up-side is that there's clearly still plenty of room in my business for young men who enjoy facts. Justin Morneau was not one of the five best players in the American League.
First off, a pitcher should never win an MVP award. Secondly, if there are 3 guys on a team who finish in the top 5 in the MVP award, how does one win?!?

If there are 3 guys who were "Most valuable" on the same team, doesn't that defeat the purpose?!?

Jeter was the Yanks MVP this year despite what the payroll is. The guy had a MVP season.

Jeter deserved to not even be on the ballet based on how poorly he handled the Arod Situation. He makes his chops off of being "The Captain", and then leaves his teammate to flail in the wind while he yucks it up in the dugout with Giambi. Jeter sank the team this year because he couldn't get over his grudge against Arod and actually be the captain. :thumbdown:

Actually, when you consider that Jeter makes more than the Twins, I'd say he couldn't be the MVP.
I'll engage in MVP related topics such as whether a pitcher or a DH should ever win the award. I will talk about the nuances of analyzing just stats vs. stats plus intangibles. I will talk about whether the MVP should come from a playoff team or whether that is not needed.But no where - in any of these MVP debates does how much $ they make come into play.If that were the case - then a rookie would win MVP almost every year as most of them make less than $1mil.

Bad decision.

Jeter deserved it.

It actually hurt him (didn't help him as many believe) that he was with the Yankees. This is b/c most of America loves to hate the Yankees - so they actually look for reasons not to vote for Jeter.

When you combine everything: BA, OPS, Win shares, VORP, RBI, Runs, Stolen Bases, leader, intagibles, etc - there is no way Jeter shouldn't have won this.

One voter had him 6th. I mean, there is no way anyone can convince me that guy wasn't flat out looking for a way NOT to have Jeter win. 6th?! There were only 4 top guys: Jeter, Mauer, Morneau, and possibly Santana (depending on where you stand on a pitcher winning MVP award). So 6th?!
Those were big fat negatives this year.

Starting pitchers make 30-35 appearances a year. That is only 20% of the schedule. They created the Cy Young award so pitchers would get recognized too.
So what? If a team wins every game that guy pitches and goes 500 the rest of the way, it's pretty clear that that pitcher is the team's most valuable player.

First off, a pitcher should never win an MVP award. Secondly, if there are 3 guys on a team who finish in the top 5 in the MVP award, how does one win?!?

If there are 3 guys who were "Most valuable" on the same team, doesn't that defeat the purpose?!?

Jeter was the Yanks MVP this year despite what the payroll is. The guy had a MVP season.

Jeter deserved to not even be on the ballet based on how poorly he handled the Arod Situation. He makes his chops off of being "The Captain", and then leaves his teammate to flail in the wind while he yucks it up in the dugout with Giambi. Jeter sank the team this year because he couldn't get over his grudge against Arod and actually be the captain. :thumbdown:
:rolleyes: Never thought the Jeter hate would outweigh the A-Rod hate.

So what? If a team wins every game that guy pitches and goes 500 the rest of the way, it's pretty clear that that pitcher is the team's most valuable player.
Sounds like a Cy young winner to me.

Nobody really stood out, but I thought Jeter's 30+ SB would be enough to put him over the top of the other nominees.
Can't say I agree with this being a deciding factor for anyone being MVP. Jeter is a great player, but didn't have the best season statistics wise IMO.

:rolleyes: Never thought the Jeter hate would outweigh the A-Rod hate.
Never thought Jeter would prove himself to be just as selfish as Arod.... :shrug:

Nobody really stood out, but I thought Jeter's 30+ SB would be enough to put him over the top of the other nominees.
Can't say I agree with this being a deciding factor for anyone being MVP. Jeter is a great player, but didn't have the best season statistics wise IMO.
Because he played nearly every game, batted near the top of the order, and stole 34 bases (while being rarely caught), he actually led the American League in runs created, with 132. He also, purely as a hitter, led the league in Value Over Replacement Player (just a hair ahead of Hafner).

Morneau really was a force down the stretch when the Twins went nutty and came back to win the division (although they were shutout in the playoffs like Louisiana Monroe at LSU). Jeter was a steady hand and I think he deserved this award also but Morneau probably meant more to his team making the playoffs statistically than Jeter did. How to measure Jeter's other accomplishments is not easy but it is reasoned he played a big role in keeping things together all year in New York. Like Wilked, I could have went either way here. :shrug:

I figured the voting on this would be really really tight but it doesn't seem that way.

He's as good a choice as any.

Morneau really was a force down the stretch when the Twins went nutty and came back to win the division (although they were shutout in the playoffs like Louisiana Monroe at LSU). Jeter was a steady hand and I think he deserved this award also but Morneau probably meant more to his team making the playoffs statistically than Jeter did. How to measure Jeter's other accomplishments is not easy but it is reasoned he played a big role in keeping things together all year in New York. Like Wilked, I could have went either way here. :shrug:
All Jeter had to do was win that series.

:lmao:

the only thing i have to say is that the most valuable yankee year after year is mariano rivera. when jeter becomes more valuable than rivera, then he can win league honours.

:hot:

Because he played nearly every game, batted near the top of the order, and stole 34 bases (while being rarely caught), he actually led the American League in runs created, with 132. He also, purely as a hitter, led the league in Value Over Replacement Player (just a hair ahead of Hafner).
Is stolen bases is more important than the power catagories that Morneau better numbers in?

Interesting...

NHL MVP = Joe Thornton (Canadian)

NBA MVP = Steve Nash (Canadian)

MLB MVP = Justin Morneau (Canadian)

NFL MVP = ???

Clearly we know who the better athletes are!!!

:P :P :P :P

Interesting...NHL MVP = Joe Thornton (Canadian)NBA MVP = Steve Nash (Canadian)MLB MVP = Justin Morneau (Canadian)NFL MVP = ??? Clearly we know who the better athletes are!!! :P :P :P :P
Stephen John Nash born February 7, 1974 in Johannesburg, South Africa.Sweet.

At least he has that well-deserved Gold Glove - what a defender! :lmao:
Why do you say that? Morneau has actually improved greatly as a fielder. He was quite solid actually. I haven't looked up his stats or anything, but he played fine at first. If he was really that bad, they would have had him DH, being they really didn't have anyone fit in that role.

Interesting...NHL MVP = Joe Thornton (Canadian)NBA MVP = Steve Nash (Canadian)MLB MVP = Justin Morneau (Canadian)NFL MVP = ??? Clearly we know who the better athletes are!!! :P :P :P :P
Born in Johannesburg, South Africa, Steve Nash's parents relocated to Canada, settling in Victoria, British Columbia before he was two years old. -Quote from WikipediaOh... and if you read the part were it says nationality, it also points to him being Canadian.Sweet!

Born in Johannesburg, South Africa, Steve Nash's parents relocated to Canada, settling in Victoria, British Columbia before he was two years old. -Quote from WikipediaOh... and if you read the part were it says nationality, it also points to him being Canadian.Sweet!
Why do you hate South Africans?

Interesting...

NHL MVP = Joe Thornton (Canadian)

NBA MVP = Steve Nash (Canadian)

MLB MVP = Justin Morneau (Canadian)

NFL MVP = ???

Clearly we know who the better athletes are!!!

:P :P :P :P
Canadians in the NFLO. J. Atogwe STL S

Jon Ryan GB P

Dan Federkeil IND OL

Mitch Berger NO P

Nate Burleson SEA WR

J.P. Darche SEA LS

Israel Idonije CHI DB

Nick Kaczur NE OL

L.P. Ladouceur DAL LS

Rob Meier JAX DT

Brett Romberg STL C

O.J. Santiago OAK TE

Mike Vanderjagt DAL K

Shaun Suisham DAL K

Josh Bourke GB OT

In a stunning vote, the "Idiot" kicker, Mike Vanderjagt, has narrowly defeated LaDainian Tomlinson for the NFL MVP.

Batters only make 4-5 plate appearances per game.A good pitcher will average 20+ batters faced. :shrug:

Batters only make 4-5 plate appearances per game.A good pitcher will average 20+ batters faced. :shrug:
But the batter is playing everyday and has a better chance of controlling his teams fortunes every day. Not every 5th day.

Why do you hate South Africans?
How does that have anything to do with hating South Africans?

But the batter is playing everyday and has a better chance of controlling his teams fortunes every day. Not every 5th day.
Doesn't matter if a batter is in every day. When a pitcher is in, he has MUCH more control over his team's fortunes for that day than any particular batter. And over the long haul could be more significant towards his team's success.I'm not saying that pitchers in general deserve the MVP, but to automatically rule all pitchers out is silly.

Users who are viewing this thread