What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Green Egg Grill (2 Viewers)

If I'm in town I'm definitely going to try and stop by. Not sure that I'd want to make a whole day of it though.What do you get if you win?
I'll let you know if I decide to do it for sure. If you can "accidentally" knock over some others' grill on your way in, it would be appreciated.I'm curious to see what the environment is like. However many people doing ribs on BGEs is like a set it and forget it deal. It's not exactly like an episode of "Chopped" or something, where it's a constant frenzy of preparation.Three prizes, "up to" $500 for 1st, $250 for 2nd, and $100 for third.
update

If I'm in town I'm definitely going to try and stop by. Not sure that I'd want to make a whole day of it though.What do you get if you win?
I'll let you know if I decide to do it for sure. If you can "accidentally" knock over some others' grill on your way in, it would be appreciated.I'm curious to see what the environment is like. However many people doing ribs on BGEs is like a set it and forget it deal. It's not exactly like an episode of "Chopped" or something, where it's a constant frenzy of preparation.Three prizes, "up to" $500 for 1st, $250 for 2nd, and $100 for third.
update
I think I'm going to do it, but haven't registered yet. :unsure:

Which is a better option for spatchcock chicken?Direct with no raised grid or indirect? I don't have anything to raise the grid right now and want to avoid flareups. Is that an issue without raising the grid?
I prefer to cook chicken on a raised grill if cooking direct. When the time comes that you want a raised grill, there is a very simple method if you just buy a second grid and then attach some bolts to it.Looks like thishttp://www.dreamglass.org/Egg/Grill_Setup/Grill_Setup4.jpgIf cooking direct, you just put this second grill right on top of where the normal one sits.
so what should I do today with no raised grill? Probably going direct and see how it goes.
Three soup cans in between the grids.

Went with a direct grill, no raised grid for my spatchcock. Came out great and expect it to be a regular recipe. Used McCormack Applewood Rub and just a few Apple wood chips. Enough left over for a salad the next day. Good stuff!

Just on the grill

In the kitchen with a vegetable pack
Looks awesome. You kept the fire lower which probably helped with flare ups. What temp did you cook at?
Yeah, I had read that so I didn't add any more charcoal.375 for about an hour and 15 minutes.

Went with a direct grill, no raised grid for my spatchcock. Came out great and expect it to be a regular recipe. Used McCormack Applewood Rub and just a few Apple wood chips. Enough left over for a salad the next day. Good stuff!

Just on the grill

Looks awesome. You kept the fire lower which probably helped with flare ups. What temp did you cook at?
Yeah, I had read that so I didn't add any more charcoal.375 for about an hour and 15 minutes.
Looks great. What was the internal temp when you took it off?

Just on the grill

Looks great. What was the internal temp when you took it off?
Since I didn't have my Maverick yet (should be here Thursday) I used a regular thermometer and let it go a little higher than what I've read just to be safe.170° in the breast and 190° in the thigh.

I am trying something new right now.

Eye of the Round Roast was on sale today so I said WTF and picked up a 3 pounder. I have never cooked this and I know it is a tough cut of meat. After reading a bit I am doing the following:

1) Season with dry rub

2) Get Egg up to 500 indirect

3) Cook roast for 21 minutes at 500 hundred in roasting pan uncovered

4) Reduce Egg to 225, and let cook for about 2.5 hours

I am hoping to get some drippings to make a gravy.

I called a local dealer. They have a Xlarge BGE that they used for a demonstration once and cracked the lid or something but are replacing it with a new piece. They are selling it for a "few hundred" off because it has been used. Other than grilling once everything will be new. For a few hundred off the retail price I can't let this go. I think I am going to buy it. I am so excited.

I called a local dealer. They have a Xlarge BGE that they used for a demonstration once and cracked the lid or something but are replacing it with a new piece. They are selling it for a "few hundred" off because it has been used. Other than grilling once everything will be new. For a few hundred off the retail price I can't let this go. I think I am going to buy it. I am so excited.
XL is huge. Are you sure you need it? A new L will be cheaper.

Just my opinion but I always recommend that people buy the biggest they can afford.

Just my opinion but I always recommend that people buy the biggest they can afford.
I recently purchased the Large BGE. I specifically spoke to the dealer who sells many BGE and asked him money set aside, would you buy a L or a XL. He said if it were him he would go with the L unless you are going to daily be cooking for very large gatherings. The L has plenty of space to put 10 burgers or 8 steaks or a 25 lb turkey. He commented that when customers walk in to buy lump charcol from him, he can tell them right away which BGE the consumer has. Because the XL customers buy 5 - 6 bags at a time, where as the consumer who has a L buys just 2 - 3 bags. He said the amount of fuel that XL uses is quite different than the XL. And most people are cooking a meal where the L would be plenty. His recommendation was to go L and then pick up a smaller size later if you found you were cooking that much food often. But even then that allows you to cook other food at different temperatures. That sold me, and I would with the L and will play it by ear. Maybe pick up a M if I find the need.

Last edited by a moderator:
:thumbup:Love my XL.

I recently purchased the Large BGE. I specifically spoke to the dealer who sells many BGE and asked him money set aside, would you buy a L or a XL. He said if it were him he would go with the L unless you are going to daily be cooking for very large gatherings. The L has plenty of space to put 10 burgers or 8 steaks or a 25 lb turkey. He commented that when customers walk in to buy lump charcol from him, he can tell them right away which BGE the consumer has. Because the XL customers buy 5 - 6 bags at a time, where as the consumer who has a L buys just 2 - 3 bags. He said the amount of fuel that XL uses is quite different than the XL. And most people are cooking a meal where the L would be plenty. His recommendation was to go L and then pick up a smaller size later if you found you were cooking that much food often. But even then that allows you to cook other food at different temperatures. That sold me, and I would with the L and will play it by ear. Maybe pick up a M if I find the need.
Funny, I went in buying an XL and during the sale I asked him how many people come in later and buy an XL because their L wasn't big enough. He said it happens all of the time.The one thing I didn't want was to have a cook I wanted to do and not have a big enough egg for it. I mean, this thing should last forever, so why not be able to do it all?

I kinda think the Large Egg is a little on the small size and it's usually just me and my wife. If I was to cook regularly for friends and family I would definitely go with the XL.

I kinda think the Large Egg is a little on the small size and it's usually just me and my wife. If I was to cook regularly for friends and family I would definitely go with the XL.
I have a large as well and am in love with it but if I was to do it over again I would have gone for an extra large.

Funny, I went in buying an XL and during the sale I asked him how many people come in later and buy an XL because their L wasn't big enough. He said it happens all of the time.The one thing I didn't want was to have a cook I wanted to do and not have a big enough egg for it. I mean, this thing should last forever, so why not be able to do it all?
Culdeos, your right in a way, I don't need that much space now, but I might later. In a perfect world I would like the largest one and the smallest one. Each would serve it's own purpose. Newlyretired, your right on there. I want the biggest because I don't want to later wish I had the bigger one. Johnny Bing, I hate the amount of charcoal I currently use for my Weber kettle when I am only making a few hamburgers and hot dogs. For Father's day I asked my kids to get me the Weber Smokey Joe. There are many times I wish I had larger Weber kettle but most of the time I wish I had the Weber Smokey Joe. I don't need the XL for my normal cooking but I would prefer to go big in case I need the space. I don't want to buy the L and in 5 years wish I had the XL. I also need to step back and think straight for a second because this still might be out of my price range. I don't make a ton of money and this is a very expensive product in relationship to my salary. I got a little excited earlier but I need to make sure even at a discounted price this is within my budget. I don't need the XL for normal grilling, but a few times a year I know I will wish I had that space. I wish I could get the XL and a Mini and made more money, lol.

So I'm looking in the FFA 2012 BBQ thread and see this recipe.

Grilled Santa Maria Tri-Tip

• 2 to 2 1/2 lb beef tri-tip roast

• 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper

• 2 teaspoons salt

• 1/2 tablespoon paprika

• 1 teaspoon garlic powder

• 1 teaspoon onion powder

• 1 teaspoon dried rosemary

• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

• 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard

• 1/3 cup red wine vinegar

• 1/3 cup vegetable oil

• 4 cloves crushed garlic

Combine the black pepper, salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, rosemary, and cayenne in a small bowl. Rub on to all surfaces of the tri-tip. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours. Remove and let sit out until at room temperature.

Add the Dijon, vinegar, vegetable oil, and crushed garlic to a jar with a lid and shake vigorously until emulsified.

Prepare charcoal grill. Place the tri-tip on the grill and brush with the oil and vinegar mixture. Turn every 3-4 minutes, basting generously each time. Grill for 25-30 minutes for medium-rare (internal temp of 135 degrees F.). The outside of the roast will get very dark and develop a charred crust, this is desired and one of the signature characteristics of this barbecue recipe.

Remove the tri-tip from the grill to a large platter. Let rest for at least 15 minutes before slicing.
The bolded got me thinking about BGE grilling. With my old gas grill, I generally wouldn't put the top down that often for smaller meals. Turning something every 3-4 minutes for 30 minutes would be kind of a hassle if you're trying to maintain temp. How often, if ever, do you just grill with the dome up, the old fashioned way?

So I'm looking in the FFA 2012 BBQ thread and see this recipe.

Grilled Santa Maria Tri-Tip

• 2 to 2 1/2 lb beef tri-tip roast

• 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper

• 2 teaspoons salt

• 1/2 tablespoon paprika

• 1 teaspoon garlic powder

• 1 teaspoon onion powder

• 1 teaspoon dried rosemary

• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

• 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard

• 1/3 cup red wine vinegar

• 1/3 cup vegetable oil

• 4 cloves crushed garlic

Combine the black pepper, salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, rosemary, and cayenne in a small bowl. Rub on to all surfaces of the tri-tip. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours. Remove and let sit out until at room temperature.

Add the Dijon, vinegar, vegetable oil, and crushed garlic to a jar with a lid and shake vigorously until emulsified.

Prepare charcoal grill. Place the tri-tip on the grill and brush with the oil and vinegar mixture. Turn every 3-4 minutes, basting generously each time. Grill for 25-30 minutes for medium-rare (internal temp of 135 degrees F.). The outside of the roast will get very dark and develop a charred crust, this is desired and one of the signature characteristics of this barbecue recipe.

Remove the tri-tip from the grill to a large platter. Let rest for at least 15 minutes before slicing.
The bolded got me thinking about BGE grilling. With my old gas grill, I generally wouldn't put the top down that often for smaller meals. Turning something every 3-4 minutes for 30 minutes would be kind of a hassle if you're trying to maintain temp. How often, if ever, do you just grill with the dome up, the old fashioned way?
I did a tri-tip nearly exactly like this and never opened it until it got to 130. I think it is in my flckr stream linked above. I don't think there is ever a reason to go dome up?

So I'm looking in the FFA 2012 BBQ thread and see this recipe.The bolded got me thinking about BGE grilling. With my old gas grill, I generally wouldn't put the top down that often for smaller meals. Turning something every 3-4 minutes for 30 minutes would be kind of a hassle if you're trying to maintain temp. How often, if ever, do you just grill with the dome up, the old fashioned way?
I did a tri-tip nearly exactly like this and never opened it until it got to 130. I think it is in my flckr stream linked above. I don't think there is ever a reason to go dome up?
That's what I thought. I guess it's just adjusting other recipes to the BGE method.Looking to do some baby backs this weekend!Any recommendations? I've done them probably about a dozen times on my old charcoal grill but the first on my Egg.

So I'm looking in the FFA 2012 BBQ thread and see this recipe.The bolded got me thinking about BGE grilling. With my old gas grill, I generally wouldn't put the top down that often for smaller meals. Turning something every 3-4 minutes for 30 minutes would be kind of a hassle if you're trying to maintain temp. How often, if ever, do you just grill with the dome up, the old fashioned way?
That's what I thought. I guess it's just adjusting other recipes to the BGE method.Looking to do some baby backs this weekend!Any recommendations? I've done them probably about a dozen times on my old charcoal grill but the first on my Egg.
Here is how I do baby backs1) remove membrane2) set up egg for indirect cooking (plate setter, feet up, grill on feet of plate setter, Foil plate setter)3) get egg stabilized to 225 with your favorite wood chunks/chips4) use a dry rub on ribs5) ribs into egg for 2 hours6) at the two hour mark, take ribs out, coat liberally with honey and wrap in heavy duty foil7) back into egg for 1 hour8) at one hour mark take out of foil and place ribs back on grill for one more hour9) during the last 15-30 minutes baste with your sauce

For my ribs:

Remove membrane

Apply a bit of dry rub

Apply yellow mustard

Apply dry rub again

Put in fridge overnight

Let ribs out for an hour before putting on grill

Foil, put on grill indirect raised at 250

2 hours in, unfoil, put a pad of butter, maple syrup and refoil

Hour later, unfoil, place on grill

Spray with mix of apple cider vinegar and apple juice every thirty minutes

Baste with sauce at end if desired over 30 to 45 min.

The longer you go in the foil, in my experience, the more tender they become. Some people like fall off the bone, I prefer a bit of a tug when eating the meat. Yes, a tug.

For my ribs:Remove membraneApply a bit of dry rubApply yellow mustardApply dry rub againPut in fridge overnightLet ribs out for an hour before putting on grillFoil, put on grill indirect raised at 2502 hours in, unfoil, put a pad of butter, maple syrup and refoilHour later, unfoil, place on grillSpray with mix of apple cider vinegar and apple juice every thirty minutesBaste with sauce at end if desired over 30 to 45 min. The longer you go in the foil, in my experience, the more tender they become. Some people like fall off the bone, I prefer a bit of a tug when eating the meat. Yes, a tug.
Way too much work there. 70% of that doesn't make a damn bit of difference. Especially on an egg.

For my ribs:Remove membraneApply a bit of dry rubApply yellow mustardApply dry rub againPut in fridge overnightLet ribs out for an hour before putting on grillFoil, put on grill indirect raised at 2502 hours in, unfoil, put a pad of butter, maple syrup and refoilHour later, unfoil, place on grillSpray with mix of apple cider vinegar and apple juice every thirty minutesBaste with sauce at end if desired over 30 to 45 min. The longer you go in the foil, in my experience, the more tender they become. Some people like fall off the bone, I prefer a bit of a tug when eating the meat. Yes, a tug.
Way too much work there. 70% of that doesn't make a damn bit of difference. Especially on an egg.
Probably right, but I like the way they come out. It's not that hard, just seems like a lot of steps when written down. :shrug:

Here's the recipe I've used many times before for baby backs.

Rub:

1 tablespoon brown sugar

1 teaspoon Five Spice Powder

1/2 teaspoon paprika

1/4 teaspoon each: salt, pepper, celery seed, onion powder, garlic powder

Glaze:

1/2 cup catsup

2 tablespoons molasses

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1 tablespoon soy sauce

several dashes hot pepper sauce.

hickory chips for smoking

what's your total cook time? You don't say how long after unfoiling.

update
I think I'm going to do it, but haven't registered yet. :unsure:
FYI, I'm out. I had a couple of conflicts come up for this day, so I won't be able to enter.

For my ribs:Remove membrane - Yes, do thisApply a bit of dry rub - Dry rub is not soluble without oilApply yellow mustard - Outdated step. Adds nothing and will retar-d the dry rub since it has no oilApply dry rub again - Waste of $$$$Put in fridge overnight - Waste of time. Let ribs out for an hour before putting on grill - Myth. Unless your house is on fire I would rather my ribs to warm up in smoke, not air conditioning. Wouldn't you?Foil, put on grill indirect raised at 250 - Foil? Are we steaming ribs or smoking?2 hours in, unfoil, put a pad of butter, maple syrup and refoil - Trying to copy Chili's here?Hour later, unfoil, place on grill - Now all your smoke chips are long gone and you unfoil?Spray with mix of apple cider vinegar and apple juice every thirty minutes - Why use an egg if you do this? Baste with sauce at end if desired over 30 to 45 min. - WAYYYYY too early to baste. Basting is a 60 Second to 90 second maximum step. The longer you go in the foil, in my experience, the more tender they become. Some people like fall off the bone, I prefer a bit of a tug when eating the meat. Yes, a tug.
Probably right, but I like the way they come out. It's not that hard, just seems like a lot of steps when written down. :shrug:
There are alot of things there that are the 2012 equivalent of "searing locks in juices" myths from the late 2000s. And the myth element of those methods are made worse on the egg.Added some comments above.Edit again: That probably was harsh, but the whole reason I got the egg was to avoid having to do all these tricked up steps and set the thing and forget about it. The cooking vessel makes all the difference here and let that shine. Blind box the above vs. nothing but a salt+pepper rub with no foil in site pulled out of the fridge 5 minutes after the temp was good, cook, and then sauce for 1 minute when done would win 100% of the time on an egg. Keep it simple.

I agree with keeping it simple for baby backs and most everything else I grill on the egg, but I do brine my baby backs for a couple hours before applying the rub. I think it's worth the effort - makes it virtually impossible to end up with dry ribs.

I agree with keeping it simple for baby backs and most everything else I grill on the egg, but I do brine my baby backs for a couple hours before applying the rub. I think it's worth the effort - makes it virtually impossible to end up with dry ribs.
I brined chicken legs and breast the other day and thought it was awesome. Never thought about brining ribs. Any special ingredients you use?

I brined chicken legs and breast the other day and thought it was awesome. Never thought about brining ribs. Any special ingredients you use?
Salt, sugar and water. Anything else is fluff imo. I always brine chicken and turkey, pork ribs and chops.

Just grilled some amazing tuna steaks. We're not sushi fans so wanted it a little more medium than rare/raw.

Marinated for about an hour in zesty Italian dressing.

Egg at 450.

In one of those pans with the holes.

2 minutes, flip

3 minutes

shut it down for 2 minutes.

awesome! Doesn't even taste like fish.

I'll try a little less next time and work my way towards medium-rare.

served with grilled asparagus and potato salad. :thumbup:

Here is how I do baby backs1) remove membrane2) set up egg for indirect cooking (plate setter, feet up, grill on feet of plate setter, Foil plate setter)3) get egg stabilized to 225 with your favorite wood chunks/chips4) use a dry rub on ribs5) ribs into egg for 2 hours6) at the two hour mark, take ribs out, coat liberally with honey and wrap in heavy duty foil7) back into egg for 1 hour8) at one hour mark take out of foil and place ribs back on grill for one more hour9) during the last 15-30 minutes baste with your sauce
Did a slight variation of this one yesterday.I used Grill Mates Applewood rubCooked at 225, added some cherry and apple wood chipsAfter first hour, brushed with apple juice/apple cider vinegar mix.Brushed every hour up to 4 hours.Brought the egg up to 275 for the last hour, brushing with Jack Daniels #7.Took off the grill after 5 hours to bring up heat for the potato wedges and corn on the cob.Great meal! :thumbup:

I finally nailed a brisket on the egg this weekend. In doing do I found my new favorite thing to smoke.

This was my 3rd shot at brisket, every time its come out tasting like shoe leather.

I never realized the margin of error was so tight on that cut of meat.

I put the nomex gasket kit on top and bottom of the egg this weekend without taking off the hinge. I used painters tape to prevent adhesive overspray and had no issues at all. Used acetone and steel wool to remove the gunk on the rim. If I was focused it would have taken about a half hour in total to clean it off, half hour to wait for ace to dry and another 10 minutes to put the strip on.

I'm going to do a burn tonight just to get whatever junk is left behind out and go from there.

I finally nailed a brisket on the egg this weekend. In doing do I found my new favorite thing to smoke. This was my 3rd shot at brisket, every time its come out tasting like shoe leather. I never realized the margin of error was so tight on that cut of meat.
How did you execute it? I'm going to try one this weekend. My first shot was not good, but i only had a flat.

I finally nailed a brisket on the egg this weekend. In doing do I found my new favorite thing to smoke.

This was my 3rd shot at brisket, every time its come out tasting like shoe leather.

How did you execute it? I'm going to try one this weekend. My first shot was not good, but i only had a flat.
I read this from the naked whiz, and followed it pretty loosely. It was about a 5 lb flat I found on sale. I had little expectations, but wanted to give it one more go around. I didn't over think it.

This is the first time I can remember I never once touched my egg after I got the temp right. It stayed at 250 and didn't move. The cook took right at 10 hours, so 2 hours per pound held up.

I did leave it on slightly longer than recommended. I pulled it at 205. I figured my earlier failed attempts might have been a result of pulling it too early.

Like I said, it wasn't really planned and I didn't realize I was out of dizzy dust. All I had was Swamp Venom, which I've used plenty of times. This was the first time I had used it at the only rub. It had a helluva kick, but it was delicious.

I read this from the naked whiz, and followed it pretty loosely. It was about a 5 lb flat I found on sale. I had little expectations, but wanted to give it one more go around. I didn't over think it.

This is the first time I can remember I never once touched my egg after I got the temp right. It stayed at 250 and didn't move. The cook took right at 10 hours, so 2 hours per pound held up.

I did leave it on slightly longer than recommended. I pulled it at 205. I figured my earlier failed attempts might have been a result of pulling it too early.

Like I said, it wasn't really planned and I didn't realize I was out of dizzy dust. All I had was Swamp Venom, which I've used plenty of times. This was the first time I had used it at the only rub. It had a helluva kick, but it was delicious.
The forums do indicate that you pull brisket on an egg a little later than an offset. I don't really know why that to be the case. That was going to be one change for my next run.

'culdeus said:
I put the nomex gasket kit on top and bottom of the egg this weekend without taking off the hinge. I used painters tape to prevent adhesive overspray and had no issues at all. Used acetone and steel wool to remove the gunk on the rim. If I was focused it would have taken about a half hour in total to clean it off, half hour to wait for ace to dry and another 10 minutes to put the strip on. I'm going to do a burn tonight just to get whatever junk is left behind out and go from there.
What adhesive did you use?

Here is a simple tip that gives up some safety.

If you are looking for your fire to start faster and or burn hotter, open up the bottom vent entirely (no screen). The screen blocks enough air flow to make a difference.

'culdeus said:
I put the nomex gasket kit on top and bottom of the egg this weekend without taking off the hinge. I used painters tape to prevent adhesive overspray and had no issues at all. Used acetone and steel wool to remove the gunk on the rim. If I was focused it would have taken about a half hour in total to clean it off, half hour to wait for ace to dry and another 10 minutes to put the strip on. I'm going to do a burn tonight just to get whatever junk is left behind out and go from there.
super 77

'culdeus said:
super 77
Ok thanks. I believe that is what I used a few years ago when I did it. Just wanted to check if something new/better was being used.

Here is a simple tip that gives up some safety. If you are looking for your fire to start faster and or burn hotter, open up the bottom vent entirely (no screen). The screen blocks enough air flow to make a difference.
I was just wondering how many people actually use the screen. I haven't yet.

Here is a simple tip that gives up some safety. If you are looking for your fire to start faster and or burn hotter, open up the bottom vent entirely (no screen). The screen blocks enough air flow to make a difference.
i just thought it was there to keep bugs out if you leave the bottom vent open to dry it out or something?

i just thought it was there to keep bugs out if you leave the bottom vent open to dry it out or something?
It was added a few years ago for safety to block embers from coming out.

Can anyone recommend a cover for a BGE large for me outside of the one sold by BGE? My old cover needs replacement and I want to see if there is a cheaper alternative to the official one.

Users who are viewing this thread