What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

:MERGED: OFFICIAL Underclassmen leaving early (1 Viewer)

jeter23

Footballguy
Jon Abbate ILB Wake Forest JR

Jamaal Anderson DE Arkansas JR

Antwan Applewhite DE San Diego St. JR

Ahmad Bradshaw RB Marshall JR

Jon Beason OLB Miami (FL) JR

Alan Branch DT Michigan JR

Stanley Doughty DT South Carolina JR

C.J. Gaddis CB Clemson JR

Ted Ginn, Jr. WR Ohio St. JR

Anthony Gonzalez WR Ohio St. JR

Chris Henry RB Arizona JR

Chris Houston CB Arkansas JR

Brandon Jackson RB Nebraska JR

Dwayne Jarrett WR USC JR

Calvin Johnson WR Georgia Tech JR

Charles Johnson DE Georgia JR

Rory Johnson OLB Ole Miss JR

Marshawn Lynch RB California JR

Robert Meachem WR Tennessee JR

Zach Miller TE Arizona St. JR

Jarvis Moss DE Florida JR

Reggie Nelson S Florida JR

Greg Olsen TE Miami (FL) JR

Adrian Peterson RB Oklahoma JR

Antonio Pittman RB Ohio St. JR

Maurice Price WR Charleston Southern JR

Darrelle Revis CB Pittsburgh JR

Sidney Rice WR South Carolina SO

Gary Russell RB Minnesota JR

JaMarcus Russell QB L.S.U. JR

Brandon Siler ILB Florida JR

Ryan Smith CB Florida JR

Ramonce Taylor RB Texas JR

Lawrence Timmons OLB Florida St. JR

Darius Walker RB Notre Dame JR

Danny Ware RB Georgia JR

Dwayne Wright RB Fresno St. JR

Eric Wright CB UNLV JR

Last edited by a moderator:
Stanley Doughty DT South Carolina JR Chris Henry RB Arizona JR Charles Johnson DE Georgia JR Rory Johnson OLB Ole Miss JR Greg Olsen TE Miami (FL) JR Gary Russell RB Minnesota JR Lawrence Timmons OLB Florida St. JR Danny Ware RB Georgia JR Dwayne Wright RB Fresno St. JR Eric Wright CB UNLV JR
1st thing I notice are 4 middle of the road RB coming out early. They are doing this because of a weak RB class already and also there are a lot of Sophomores that will be ready to come out next season...Slaton from WVU comes to mind...I think Rice from Rutgers is a Sophomore too. Bad year to have middle 1st round picks in Dynasty Leagues.

Stanley Doughty DT South Carolina JR

Chris Henry RB Arizona JR

Charles Johnson DE Georgia JR

Rory Johnson OLB Ole Miss JR

Greg Olsen TE Miami (FL) JR

Gary Russell RB Minnesota JR

Lawrence Timmons OLB Florida St. JR

Danny Ware RB Georgia JR

Dwayne Wright RB Fresno St. JR

Eric Wright CB UNLV JR
1st thing I notice are 4 middle of the road RB coming out early. They are doing this because of a weak RB class already and also there are a lot of Sophomores that will be ready to come out next season...Slaton from WVU comes to mind...I think Rice from Rutgers is a Sophomore too. Bad year to have middle 1st round picks in Dynasty Leagues.
This is the main reason that I thought Michael Bush would go ahead and come out this year, but now it seems like he is staying at U of L.

There's draft related stories breaking all the time that (imo) don't warrant their own thread in a fantasy football forum, but there's also a growing interest in the topic, so I figured a single thread for tidbits and such would work. I personally like this approach better than individual threads for every little story. I did it with UDFAs after the draft last April and it was a solid resource and a good read after a couple weeks.

Of course if Jamarcus Russell announces he'll only turn pro with a written promise the Raiders won't draft him, then that deserves it's own thread. But when Xavier Adibi declares, that's the kind of thing I like combined with other stories, so I'll report that type of stuff here and appreciate any others doing likewise.

I expect the record of 49 underclassmen to be broken this year, but it won't be easy. I'll use this top post to list them all. The deadline is about 10 days away. Here's what I got for now.

(16 so far)

* QB Jamarcus Russell - LSU

WR Robert Meachem - Tennessee

RB Marshawn Lynch - Cal-Berkley

RB Dwayne Wright -Fresno State

RB Chris Henry - Arizona

RB Danny Ware - Georgia

RB Gary Russell - ex-Minnesota

TE Greg Olson - Miami (Florida)

TE Luke Smith-Anderson - Idaho

DE Charles Johnson - Georgia

* DT Alan Branch - Michigan

DT Stanley Doughty - South Carolina

LB Lawrence Timmons - Florida State

LB Rory Johnson - Ole Miss

CB Eric Wright - Nevada Las-Vegas

* S Reggie Nelson - Florida

* temporarily unofficial

Starting with the news of the night (maybe big enough for it's own thread).

WR Robert Meachem - Tennessee
Colin called this early for the purpose of making him a first rounder in a mock. Meachem said he would stay in school unless he was a first rounder. He got his evaluation back a couple days ago and delayed the announcement a little. There is some major secrecy covering these evaluations, but I think Meachem probably needed his explained clearly because last year some guys (Jeff Webb for example) were given three round spreads. All that said, I think Colin nailed this very early and Meachum goes in the second half of round one. A very nice addition to any receiving crew.

I added Alan Branch. He isn't enrolled in school for the next semester. While that's not official, um, it's a done deal and no surprise.

CJ Gaddis has a 4th round grade. So I guess they aren't that protective of the information. Maybe he spilled the beans because he got the info in a phone call and didn't get the official paperwork that seems so guarded. Anyway, Gaddis is one of the corners I expected to come out, and it sounds like he's confused and undecided. I like him and think he could impress himself into day one rather easily, and that's probably what he's trying to figure out. These corners aren't very good this year, imo, but Gaddis has great upside.

Another corner I thought might jump, Georgia's Paul Oliver is staying in school. I think Oliver should come out. Leading that D in tackles from the corner with his coverage ability and this weak class. Hmmm... we may not get the record this year if guys like this don't take the bait.

CC who is not necessarily ready to make the jump but making it anyway?
CC knows a lot more than I do about this topic, but I was really surprised by Ware coming out and after Meachem's disappointing bowl game and the solid WR class, I thought he might reconsider and stay at UT.

Stanley Doughty DT South Carolina JR Chris Henry RB Arizona JR Charles Johnson DE Georgia JR Rory Johnson OLB Ole Miss JR Greg Olsen TE Miami (FL) JR Gary Russell RB Minnesota JR Lawrence Timmons OLB Florida St. JR Danny Ware RB Georgia JR Dwayne Wright RB Fresno St. JR Eric Wright CB UNLV JR
I think its only bad if you are looking for a RB but if you are in need a potential stud wr you gotta be jumping for joy right now.

jeter23 said:
Bri said:
CC knows a lot more than I do about this topic, but I was really surprised by Ware coming out and after Meachem's disappointing bowl game and the solid WR class, I thought he might reconsider and stay at UT.
This is a very tough question that is only answered by time and results. I get the RBs coming out. They run such high risk of injury that at some point it's time to get a job. That's why we go to college, right? To get a good job. And next year the RB class might be the deepest in NFL starter quality ever. So, Ware trying to solidify a job on specials and third downs now is okay with me. He's pretty exciting, good size, speed, hands, and was buried at Georgia. "I just looked at the situation of how many running backs we had and just came to the realization it wasn't going to be any different than this year," Ware said Tuesday night. "You're going to have at least four guys trying to run with one ball and then you've got a great quarterback like Matthew Stafford who might be throwing the ball 30 times a game. Whatever might have happened, it wasn't going to change my draft position and might have made it worst, so I figured I might as well go ahead and leave." I think he probably makes sense given his explanation and the weak class. He had one nice game, coach said he deserved more ops, then he was buried again.I don't know Eric Wright or the Idaho TE at all. I think Doughty (DT) and Rory Johnson (LB) should have stayed another year. Both could have become stars on their teams and locked up higher draft positions with guaranteed money. Hopefully they know what they're doing. I think Charles Johnson does. He saw Moses lose money all year by staying in school. He had a great season. He has big time NFL pass rushing talent. Time to get paid. I'll judge Timmons decision after the draft. He seems a little raw and probably could have used another year, but if he goes in round one (like many think he will) he did the right thing. It is a weak class particularly from a depth perspective. I think they should all come out and try to find a niche before the next two incredible classes hit the league.

jeter23 said:
Bri said:
This is a very tough question that is only answered by time and results.
snipped good reply not to discount it, just....IMO you'll often see "raw" and then a whole slew of words to describe a player that would be what you define in your head as a raw WR(or whatever position). The "raw" players should stay in school IMO.

Reche Caldwell's talented brother Andre (Gator WR) got his paperwork, knows his grade, made his decision, but won't tell til Tuesday.

That's a pretty entertaining article, btw. The possible early departures are:

Reggie Nelson, FS - I should just add him to the list. His momma told him to go pro.

Jarvis Moss, DE - Has looked "ready" for the next level several times this past year (like so many Gators). I think the DEs are overrated and he's a solid candidate for leaving school early. He's a long and light, kind of like Kamerion Wimbley. McDonald does all the dirty work then Moss makes the purty plays.

Brandon Siler, LB - He always looks better (stronger, nastier, more aggressive) than Everett to me, and many think Everett has a shot at the first.

Ryan Smith, CB - Well, let's see how he does with Gonzalez and Ginn. He's a pretty interesting story. I heard the conflict at Utah was about his weight and lack of interest in bulking up. Meyer didn't care. He needed help in coverage and he got it somewhat controversially. Smith weighs 165 pounds, looks and plays like Kelly Jennings who's done a decent job for Seattle, but also put on 10 pounds.

ETA - No way Nelson stays in school after his season. I added him to the list. I got 15 and 35 to go to set the record.

The Ohio State University Version

Another good read, btw. Tony Gonzalez is a character. But the Pittman stuff is most intriguing.

Pittman likes his NFL draft potential

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — The three Ohio State juniors still mulling decisions about whether to turn pro were mum on their plans Wednesday, but tailback Antonio Pittman liked what the NFL had to say about his potential draft status.

"I'm not going to tell you what it was, but it's a good thing," he said.

The NCAA allows players contemplating a move to ask the league for a guess on when they might be taken, and Pittman and receivers Ted Ginn Jr. and Anthony Gonzalez all filed the necessary paperwork.

"I'll have to talk it out with my family," Pittman said. "We'll wait until after this game. That's what I'm worried about. We're just trying to get a national championship."

While Ginn is considered a lock to go, Gonzalez's decision will be an agonizing one.
If they win expect an exodus. I agree Ginn is a lock to declare and a lock for round 1, and Pittman is sounding like an entry to me. In the RB rankings thread I said I would put Pittman a notch above Tony Hunt. Ugh, not so sure about that now (Hunt looked great), but Pittman is underrated, imo. Gonzalez is very good. He reminds of Greg Jennings, and I think he would have to be drafted sometime in the 2nd.

Sounds like Gaddis will declare.

Clemson coaches are telling recruits they expect Gaddis to turn pro, though Gaddis said he won't make a decision until he speaks with head coach Tommy Bowden next week.

Detillier said Gaddis, who came on strong over the second half of the Tigers' 8-5 season, would likely be a third- or fourth-round pick.

"He's certainly an NFL-style cornerback," he said. "But he's going to need a lot of coaching to be a starter."

San Jose State's Keith Lowery, tied for 1st in the nation in picks, is on the cusp of entering. I know nothing of him and I did watch his bowl game, but corners are very hard to scout from TV angles. SJSU did have a great looking WR, James Jones. Their solid QB gushed about Jones. Anyway, Lowery is interesting and I have to do my research on him. He seems to be grading equal to Gaddis.

Lowery ready to test the NFL Draft waters

By JIM SEIMAS

Sentinel staff writer

San Jose State's star cornerback Dwight Lowery is going to go pro, one of his coaches said Thursday — the question is when.

The Cabrillo College transfer, who has a national co-leading nine interceptions this season, applied for a draft grade from the NFL's advisory committee.

Spartans assistant coach Keith Burns expects Lowery will receive a third-round grade.

"He's going to play in the NFL," said Burns, the Spartans' cornerbacks coach and co-defensive coordinator. "The decision is whether it's now or a year from now. If he, obviously, stays healthy, he's going to get a chance."

The people who previously put a grade on Lowery's first season of NCAA football didn't just give San Jose State's star junior an "A" for his efforts, they gave him two A's — as in All-American.

Lowery [6-foot-1, 185 pounds] was a virtual unknown entering the season. Still, he was chosen to three All-American teams [first-team by the Football Writers of America Association and the American Football Coaches Association, and third-team for the Associated Press].
Interesting part of the article near the bottom discusses the Player Association's Underclassman Advisory Board a little.
There are scouts from 12 NFL teams on the committee, Tollner said. Two scouts are each assigned a specific player. The grade each scout gives a player is usually averaged but sometimes general. A grade could read that a player will likely be taken between rounds 2-4 or 3-5.

"It's extremely accurate in terms of reviewing game film," Tollner said. "But you can get a third-round grade and it doesn't take into consideration all the other players who have received a third-round grade. There can be 20 other players at the position with a third-round grade, which can drop you down in the draft. It also leaves out the interview process, possible character concerns and the testing period at pro day. The grades are often conservative."
I disagree with that last statement even though it was followed with Olshansky as an example. Last year may have been the odd year, but only about 100 guys get drafted on the first day and they handed out about 150 day one grades. That's not conservative.

Houston Nutt's a nut

Doesn't he know we're trying to make this draft more talented by setting a record for underclassmen?

FAYETTEVILLE -- Arkansas coach Houston Nutt didn't have much time to stay and chat Thursday morning. He had to catch a flight to Little Rock to try to convince a player to suit up for the Razorbacks next season.

That player happened to be defensive end Jamaal Anderson, who led the Southeastern Conference with 14 sacks during his junior season at Arkansas.

As odd as it might sound, Nutt was treating it like a recruiting trip. Anderson is getting attention from agents and NFL insiders following his breakout season, and Nutt wanted to talk the 6-foot-6, 280-pound defensive end into staying with the Razorbacks for his senior year.

Nutt will be making similar trips over the next few days to meet with fellow juniors, cornerback Chris Houston, wide receiver Marcus Monk, fullback Peyton Hillis and defensive tackle Marcus Harrison, among others.

"I've got appointments to see each of these guys because they have a chance, with the way they're talking, to take that leap into the NFL," Nutt said during his season-ending news conference with reporters. "We don't want them to go."
Anderson probably can do very little to increase his NFL value and runs a significant risk of hurting it. Monk risks injury. They both said after the game they would stay in school, but this article gives me hope.

Houston Nutt's a nut

Doesn't he know we're trying to make this draft more talented by setting a record for underclassmen?

FAYETTEVILLE -- Arkansas coach Houston Nutt didn't have much time to stay and chat Thursday morning. He had to catch a flight to Little Rock to try to convince a player to suit up for the Razorbacks next season.

That player happened to be defensive end Jamaal Anderson, who led the Southeastern Conference with 14 sacks during his junior season at Arkansas.

As odd as it might sound, Nutt was treating it like a recruiting trip. Anderson is getting attention from agents and NFL insiders following his breakout season, and Nutt wanted to talk the 6-foot-6, 280-pound defensive end into staying with the Razorbacks for his senior year.

Nutt will be making similar trips over the next few days to meet with fellow juniors, cornerback Chris Houston, wide receiver Marcus Monk, fullback Peyton Hillis and defensive tackle Marcus Harrison, among others.

"I've got appointments to see each of these guys because they have a chance, with the way they're talking, to take that leap into the NFL," Nutt said during his season-ending news conference with reporters. "We don't want them to go."
Anderson probably can do very little to increase his NFL value and runs a significant risk of hurting it. Monk risks injury. They both said after the game they would stay in school, but this article gives me hope.
Anderson could emerge as the #2 DE and a top 15 pick if he comes out. He's not quite the natural speed pass rusher that many of the other top DEs are, but his frame/size is ideal, and he's plenty quick for such a big guy. He has decent moves, but great strength and desire. He's also excellent at disrupting passing lanes with his long arms and hustle. He really put on a show against Wisconson's up and coming RT VandenHeuvel on New Year's Day.I really like Monk, and think he could be a Colston type. Very long fram

A couple Kentucky Wildcats facing tough decions-- WR Keenan Burton and RB Rafael Little

Burton said yesterday that he hasn't reached a decision and will probably make an announcement shortly after spring semester starts on Wednesday.

Tony Stewart, Little's former youth league coach in his hometown of Anderson, S.C., and longtime mentor, said yesterday that he talked with Little on Wednesday and said he's "90 percent sure" that Little will return to UK.

Stewart said Little has been told he'd be no higher than a fifth-round pick if he entered the draft this season.

And while Little has two children, Stewart said he's advised him to go back to school.
Little situation is very complicated. Sophomore RB Tony Dixon is a better talent and and freshman Alphonso Smith is going to play more of a role. If he has a round 5 grade, like Danny Ware, why not give the NFL a shot this year instead of next. He's probably not going to have a better year next year and he was impressive out of the backfield catching the ball. Why risk injury? Why compete with Slaton, McFadden and the rest of the sophomores who may declare? Personally, I don't like Little's prospects.Keenan Burton is another story. He is a very good receiver with definite NFL ability. Man, there's a ton of very good receivers below the elite guys who have us drooling. Burton is Michael Bush's best friend and they've been counseling each other. Burton missed a good part of two seasons with various unjuries, and was a freshman all-american before that. Healthy this year he lit it up again, 77-1000+-12. He could stay a year, do it again, and really improve his stock away from all the WRs next year. So the better talent might be the one who should stay at Kentucky. He has an awesome QB to work with there. Either way. They're both welcome. Come one come all.

Tenacious D said:
List of who requested a draft grade from NFL Underclassmen Advisory Committe:

John Murphy - Yahoo (on right side of article)
by the way, Murphy has one of the best eyes for talent of anyone I've met in the scouting world. He's probably one of the only people who wasn't surprised at Marques Colston's huge year - he mentioned him in the same breath with TO when we talked at the shrine game last year, and I believe he was basically responsible for Colston being added to the game's roster when Maurice Stovall decided to go to the Senior Bowl instead.

Tenacious D said:
A couple good underclassmen trackers:

NFL Draft Showcase - although I think Allen jumped the gun on Pittman.

GBN

List of who requested a draft grade from NFL Underclassmen Advisory Committe:

John Murphy - Yahoo (on right side of article)
Arizona running back Chris Henry has decided to pass up the chance of playing in Sonny Dykes' new offensive scheme and prepare for his pro day. The junior has stated that he's afraid the Texas Tech style of attack might not fit his game and that he could suffer through a less-than-spectacular senior campaign. The school's athletic department confirmed it is looking into allegations that inappropriate conversations may have taken place with a website serving as a "runner" between Henry and prospective agents. :whistle:

Could be the "real" reason why he's coming out.

Ramonce Taylor-Former Texas Longhorn and intregal playmaker on the National Championship team-

just heard he has officially entered the draft. Someone will get a ridiculous talent in Ramonce as long as he can get his off-the-field issues settled.

Ramonce Taylor-Former Texas Longhorn and intregal playmaker on the National Championship team-just heard he has officially entered the draft. Someone will get a ridiculous talent in Ramonce as long as he can get his off-the-field issues settled.
Five pounds of marijuana...He is an excellent talent. He and Gary Russell will be fun 3rd round or later gambles in rookie drafts. Dont use a premium 1st/2nd them.

... any word on Antonio Pittman ?

Sitting with 1.02 and 1.04 in my rookie draft,

I would like to see him come out.

Ramonce Taylor-Former Texas Longhorn and intregal playmaker on the National Championship team-just heard he has officially entered the draft. Someone will get a ridiculous talent in Ramonce as long as he can get his off-the-field issues settled.
I have read/heard somewhere that he will have to serve two months jail time during the pre-draft period. If I remember where, I will post the confirmation.

... any word on Antonio Pittman ?Sitting with 1.02 and 1.04 in my rookie draft,I would like to see him come out.
Last I heard, he was kind of torn on coming out. It seems he wants to stay in college, but he said supporting his family is an important consideration in his decision. I also think OSU freshman RB Chris Wells is a factor, as well, as he will be hard to keep off the field next year. I tend to think he'll go NFL with that in mind.

... any word on Antonio Pittman ?Sitting with 1.02 and 1.04 in my rookie draft,I would like to see him come out.
Last I heard, he was kind of torn on coming out. It seems he wants to stay in college, but he said supporting his family is an important consideration in his decision. I also think OSU freshman RB Chris Wells is a factor, as well, as he will be hard to keep off the field next year. I tend to think he'll go NFL with that in mind.
:bowtie: :D :loco: No way he goes 1.02 or 1.04 in ANY draft- even if it were a buckeye only draft!

Ramonce Taylor-Former Texas Longhorn and intregal playmaker on the National Championship team-

just heard he has officially entered the draft. Someone will get a ridiculous talent in Ramonce as long as he can get his off-the-field issues settled.
I have read/heard somewhere that he will have to serve two months jail time during the pre-draft period. If I remember where, I will post the confirmation.
Must serve by end of March

Must serve by end of March
Thanks...It was in the hard copy of the DallasMorningNews that I orginally saw it.

:thumbup: :shrug: :loco: No way he goes 1.02 or 1.04 in ANY draft- even if it were a buckeye only draft!
1.04 in a rookie ff draft is not out of the question for Pittman. Conventional wisdom says Peterson, Lynch, and Cal Johnson are the first three as of now, from four on is wide open right now because who is the number three back after Peterson and Lynch is wide open right now.

Users who are viewing this thread