What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Apple iPhone Thread (5 Viewers)

'joffer said:
Do text message histories/archives get backed up on iTunes? Where is it? Those didn't make it over to the new phone when I synced
No. But they don't go away unless you delete them either.
they must get backed up somehow. i killed my last 3GS two years ago and did a restore from backup then. When i restored from backup this morning onto the 5 (After doing another backup of the 3GS), i had only texts and phone history up until the backup 2 years ago. So i must have chosen the wrong backup (old vs. new)any idea where the backup files that iTunes uses are stored? i.e. which folders in Windows?

The one thing that cracks me up is that a lot of iPhone users are truly amazed at how fast LTE is. Just goes to show that a lot of iPhone users have never even held an android device and why Apple is making boatloads.
I think part of it is because apple makes the better product. Speed isn't everything.
Funny...I would definitely say the latest generation Androids surpass the iPhone 5, after playing with it, but it is close enough it'll vary person to person. It isn't just speed, but Android and iPhone are very equivalent OSes at this stage of the game, when talking about their latest offerings. It's really about the eco-system and what your friends/family have, not about which one is really objectively "better" at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its not about the OSes in my opinion, it is with the hardware/software integration or compatibility or whatever you want to call it. I had a droid, my buddy had a droid. If the device got too humid you try to type on it and it spits out 5 letters at once there was very little you could do. My buddy's droid's screen has dead spots on it. When the company that makes the device is a different company that writes the OS you are bound to have problems. The Nexus One is the only android I read about that had a good (and consistent) user-experience.

Another example was trying to use Facebook on it. The screen would constantly shift when typing to show the left nav-bar so you could not see the letters you were typing, or when in landscape mode you would type 2 letters and then the keyboard would disappear since the keyboard was taking up too much of the screen, I'd have to type a letter or two, keyboard disappears again, then had to tap on the field (making sure I tapped at the end of where I typed), type two more letters, rinse and repeat. It was a piece of crap.

As far as battery life, I'm not sure what GS3 people are seeing but I'm going on day 2 of trying to drain this battery in the iPhone5, had wifi turned on all day (idle) and now I'm trying to load movies on to it, play movies etc...so that I can give it a full charge, but it hasn't drained yet.

I ordered this for a sailing trip I am going on in a week:

http://amzn.to/P34XQI

just an fyi - I bought this yesterday and today it is half off (from a different reseller in Cali), no prime though

Its not about the OSes in my opinion, it is with the hardware/software integration or compatibility or whatever you want to call it. I had a droid, my buddy had a droid. If the device got too humid you try to type on it and it spits out 5 letters at once there was very little you could do. My buddy's droid's screen has dead spots on it. When the company that makes the device is a different company that writes the OS you are bound to have problems. The Nexus One is the only android I read about that had a good (and consistent) user-experience.

Another example was trying to use Facebook on it. The screen would constantly shift when typing to show the left nav-bar so you could not see the letters you were typing, or when in landscape mode you would type 2 letters and then the keyboard would disappear since the keyboard was taking up too much of the screen, I'd have to type a letter or two, keyboard disappears again, then had to tap on the field (making sure I tapped at the end of where I typed), type two more letters, rinse and repeat. It was a piece of crap.

As far as battery life, I'm not sure what GS3 people are seeing but I'm going on day 2 of trying to drain this battery in the iPhone5, had wifi turned on all day (idle) and now I'm trying to load movies on to it, play movies etc...so that I can give it a full charge, but it hasn't drained yet.

I ordered this for a sailing trip I am going on in a week:

http://amzn.to/P34XQI

just an fyi - I bought this yesterday and today it is half off (from a different reseller in Cali), no prime though
I would agree with that - you really have to be careful who you trust and even in the same brand on Android you want to check reviews for the model you are looking at. No question Apple generally does a great job on quality control.Thanks for that link, just ordered one myself (been looking for something like this as I have an unremovable battery in my HTC One X, so for real heavy use days, like conferences or traveling, it is nice to have a backup.)

Walmart called tonight to say mine was in. Preordered for delivery on the 21st but something went wrong with their shipment and they only got white phones in for all of their orders. Offered me the white and i declined. Glad my black is finally in....will pick up after work tomorrow!!!

This is comical,got the 20% warning 20 minutes ago, guess I need to leave it unplugged a second night - Bluetooth has beenon all this time, tried turning brightness up but it was too damn bright, lol.

Do you HAVE to let it drain to <20%? Mine gets to 30% or so after a day's use normally. Then I charge it in the morning before leaving for work which gets it up to 96%-100% depending. Is that not good?

Have you guys used shared photo stream yet? How does it work? How do you like it?

When you put photos into different folders, is there any way to remove them from the overall huge camera roll, so that they just appear in the folder? I like to put big chunks of photos from events into their own folder, but leave general pictures in the camera roll, but the camera roll is getting hard to navigate.

Do you guys use any special or particular cloth to keep your iphone screen and backs clean? Or just a regular microfiber or glasses cloth?

The one thing that cracks me up is that a lot of iPhone users are truly amazed at how fast LTE is. Just goes to show that a lot of iPhone users have never even held an android device and why Apple is making boatloads.
Renaldo Nehamiah was a really fast wide receiver.

This battery life is freaking phenomenal compared to the EVO I was using
Yup. I had an extended battery on my Evo and still always plugged it in. Even with the extended battery it would need an afternoon charge even when I started the day at 100%.
It's worth the switch for that alone. Just posted this in the EVO thread:
'Tiger Fan said:
So I switched over to the iphone5. I've got all of the same (if not very similar) apps that I had on my EVO. The biggest difference is the battery life alone. It's night and day. I'm trying an experiment today: I left the house today and unplugged my EVO from the charger (100% charge, wifi only, no cellular) running all of the same apps as my iphone. I bet when I get home that the EVO will be drastically drained even though I will have been using the iphone for my personal use.

Pros

[*]facetime (much better than skype)

[*]camera is much better

[*]faster & smoother

[*]battery life

Cons

[*]Can't archive in gmail (have to use an extra click)

[*]Just a steeper learning curve

[*]can't snooze a reminder

There may be a few workarounds for the cons, but I haven't taken the time yet. So far, zero regrets

Yup. I had an extended battery on my Evo and still always plugged it in. Even with the extended battery it would need an afternoon charge even when I started the day at 100%.
'Tiger Fan said:
So I switched over to the iphone5. I've got all of the same (if not very similar) apps that I had on my EVO. The biggest difference is the battery life alone. It's night and day. I'm trying an experiment today: I left the house today and unplugged my EVO from the charger (100% charge, wifi only, no cellular) running all of the same apps as my iphone. I bet when I get home that the EVO will be drastically drained even though I will have been using the iphone for my personal use.

Pros

[*]camera is much better

[*]faster & smoother

[*]battery life

Cons

There may be a few workarounds for the cons, but I haven't taken the time yet. So far, zero regrets
I don't understand how this is apples to apples here. Doesn't battery life degrade over time? A new battery is always going to have superior life.

'Tiger Fan said:

Pros

[*]camera is much better

[*]faster & smoother

[*]battery life

Cons

I don't understand how this is apples to apples here. Doesn't battery life degrade over time? A new battery is always going to have superior life.
It's probably not apples to apples...but that's always been the biggest problem with the EVO (one of Androids most successful phones).

Ok, so I just got the 5 which I ordered through the apple store. I'm a Verizon customer. How do I go about activating it and is there anything that I need to make sure to do before doing so?

'Tiger Fan said:

Pros

[*]camera is much better

[*]faster & smoother

[*]battery life

Cons

:goodposting: Not to mention the technology differences. The EVO is a >2 yr old phone, has a much less power efficent SoC than what's out there today, runs a less power efficient OS compared to ICS, and uses a battery hog standard with WiMax. A more fair comparison might be with something like the iPhone 4 running LTE, but that doesn't exist. The iPhone might still win, but the difference is unlikely to be remarkable (by the time I got rid of my 3GS, after 1.5 yrs, my battery life was down around 25%).

Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt that iPhone 5 has fantastic battery life, which is better than most, if not all, Android phones. But to compare it to the OG EVO is ridiculous.

Our ups driver said that the iPhone deliveries are killing them. The Austin center has 120 drivers and they delivered 2600 iPhones yesterday alone.

It's probably not apples to apples...but that's always been the biggest problem with the EVO (one of Androids most successful phones).
Not even close to apples to apples. Comparing a 2+ year old phone and 2+ year old battery tech to a newer phone is a bit more than deeply flawed.

Our ups driver said that the iPhone deliveries are killing them. The Austin center has 120 drivers and they delivered 2600 iPhones yesterday alone.
Last Friday we had UPS show up at our house at 8:30PM with an Amazon order. I've never seen them show up that late (we're last on their route ~ 5:30ish). I assumed it was because of the iphone. Crazy.

I can't activate my phone. It says activation server unavailable (same with itunes). I call apple and all circuits are busy. WTF

(by the time I got rid of my 3GS, after 1.5 yrs, my battery life was down around 25%).
You might want to talk to culdeus about how not to be a ####### when it comes to handling a lithium ion battery :unsure:
haha yeah i'm bad at taking care of my stuff. I never bother cycling or anything. But the good thing is with a non-iPhone i can just pay $20 and get a brand new battery without missing a beat.

No 16 laughs at people who enjoy longer battery life on their phones
But it's got a 1.45Ghz PROCESSOR dude.
Not true at all. It has been on record that I feel it's a matter of preference between iPhone and the top of the line android phones. I recently switched from iPhone 4 to S3 and aside from the shorter battery life (not a major issue since I use my phone for pleasure and not business) in happy I made the switch.

Renaldo Nehamiah was a really fast wide receiver.
The point isn't about the speed or specs, but that LTE phones have been around for a couple of years now but since they ran only on android phones a majority of smart phone users are just now experiencing the faster networks.Basically if it's not on an iPhone then the tech doesn't even exist for most smart phone users.

Ok, so I just got the 5 which I ordered through the apple store. I'm a Verizon customer. How do I go about activating it and is there anything that I need to make sure to do before doing so?
Anyone? Is it really as simple as turning it on and following the prompts? Switching from a 4, btw.

Well...few things...that EVO battery (I still am using it) sucks.Add in the bigger screen...and that its now a 2+ year old technology running it...I would hope the Apple battery (which was already better) would be better.I don't think its a surprise and its definitely a reason Im switching to the 5 when I do upgrade.

'Tiger Fan said:

Pros

[*]camera is much better

[*]faster & smoother

[*]battery life

Cons

:goodposting: Not to mention the technology differences. The EVO is a >2 yr old phone, has a much less power efficent SoC than what's out there today, runs a less power efficient OS compared to ICS, and uses a battery hog standard with WiMax. A more fair comparison might be with something like the iPhone 4 running LTE, but that doesn't exist. The iPhone might still win, but the difference is unlikely to be remarkable (by the time I got rid of my 3GS, after 1.5 yrs, my battery life was down around 25%).

Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt that iPhone 5 has fantastic battery life, which is better than most, if not all, Android phones. But to compare it to the OG EVO is ridiculous.
FWIW, I was just comparing it b/c that's what I owned...not looking to write a blog post or anything :shrug:

'Tiger Fan said:

Pros

[*]camera is much better

[*]faster & smoother

[*]battery life

Cons

It is just interesting to read these and some of the other responses. We all acknowledge that the iPhone 5 is a great device, but I'm more curious how it stacks up against SG3, OneX, and Razr Maxx style phones who all had superior battery life and other aspects to the 4S. I guess there just aren't that many people that have experience with the 5 and the ICS devices; it is hard to understand just how big of a jump these newer Androids have been. I'm just here for the :popcorn: though, keeping abreast of the technology for the next time I need/want a phone.

'Tiger Fan said:

Pros

[*]camera is much better

[*]faster & smoother

[*]battery life

Cons

FWIW, I was just comparing it b/c that's what I owned...not looking to write a blog post or anything :shrug:
I'd be interested to see what happens if you re-run the test on your iPhone in a few months. My hunch is that Apple batteries have a bit more staying power over time then the various Android ones. I've been impressed by how long my iPad2 battery has seemed to have similar life so I'm curious to see how that transitions to LTE.

This article says the ip5 has the best battery, but not by much over the GS3.http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2012/09/26/iphone-5-vs-samsung-galaxy-s3-battery-life-confrontation/
No MAxx comparison?!?!?!? :PETA: I have no idea how it compares

Used Maps to get me from Sacramento into and all around SF for the last few days.

It was flawless. :shrug:

This article says the ip5 has the best battery, but not by much over the GS3.http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2012/09/26/iphone-5-vs-samsung-galaxy-s3-battery-life-confrontation/
No MAxx comparison?!?!?!? :PETA: I have no idea how it compares
Mentioned in the article, but not in the graphic:
In case you’re wondering, the phone that came out tops in this test was the Droid RAZR Maxx, lasting a total of 8 hours and 25 minutes.

I'm :confused: about the LTE talk. I'm on AT&T, if they just activated their LTE network, what good would a LTE phone have done for me before I attained my iPhone 5?

Seems like a very specific use case (like using on an airplane or something), would rather see a comprehensive battery test kind of like a PC Benchmark.

some performance benchmarks:http://www.anandtech.com/show/6324/the-iphone-5-performance-previewfyi...I expect their battery tests to be pretty comprehensive:

currently shooting for the beginning of next week, furiously running battery life tests

Users who are viewing this thread