Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
One

::: The Apple iPhone 11 PRO :::

This battery life is freaking phenomenal compared to the EVO I was using

Yup. I had an extended battery on my Evo and still always plugged it in. Even with the extended battery it would need an afternoon charge even when I started the day at 100%.
It's worth the switch for that alone. Just posted this in the EVO thread:

So I switched over to the iphone5. I've got all of the same (if not very similar) apps that I had on my EVO. The biggest difference is the battery life alone. It's night and day. I'm trying an experiment today: I left the house today and unplugged my EVO from the charger (100% charge, wifi only, no cellular) running all of the same apps as my iphone. I bet when I get home that the EVO will be drastically drained even though I will have been using the iphone for my personal use.

Pros

[*]facetime (much better than skype)

[*]camera is much better

[*]faster & smoother

[*]battery life

Cons

[*]Can't archive in gmail (have to use an extra click)

[*]Just a steeper learning curve

[*]can't snooze a reminder

There may be a few workarounds for the cons, but I haven't taken the time yet. So far, zero regrets

I don't understand how this is apples to apples here. Doesn't battery life degrade over time? A new battery is always going to have superior life.
:goodposting:

Not to mention the technology differences. The EVO is a >2 yr old phone, has a much less power efficent SoC than what's out there today, runs a less power efficient OS compared to ICS, and uses a battery hog standard with WiMax. A more fair comparison might be with something like the iPhone 4 running LTE, but that doesn't exist. The iPhone might still win, but the difference is unlikely to be remarkable (by the time I got rid of my 3GS, after 1.5 yrs, my battery life was down around 25%).

Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt that iPhone 5 has fantastic battery life, which is better than most, if not all, Android phones. But to compare it to the OG EVO is ridiculous.

No 16 laughs at people who enjoy longer battery life on their phones

But it's got a 1.45Ghz PROCESSOR dude.

(by the time I got rid of my 3GS, after 1.5 yrs, my battery life was down around 25%).

You might want to talk to culdeus about how not to be a ####### when it comes to handling a lithium ion battery :unsure:

It's probably not apples to apples...but that's always been the biggest problem with the EVO (one of Androids most successful phones).

Not even close to apples to apples. Comparing a 2+ year old phone and 2+ year old battery tech to a newer phone is a bit more than deeply flawed.

Our ups driver said that the iPhone deliveries are killing them. The Austin center has 120 drivers and they delivered 2600 iPhones yesterday alone.

Last Friday we had UPS show up at our house at 8:30PM with an Amazon order. I've never seen them show up that late (we're last on their route ~ 5:30ish). I assumed it was because of the iphone. Crazy.

I can't activate my phone. It says activation server unavailable (same with itunes). I call apple and all circuits are busy. WTF

(by the time I got rid of my 3GS, after 1.5 yrs, my battery life was down around 25%).

You might want to talk to culdeus about how not to be a ####### when it comes to handling a lithium ion battery :unsure:
haha yeah i'm bad at taking care of my stuff. I never bother cycling or anything. But the good thing is with a non-iPhone i can just pay $20 and get a brand new battery without missing a beat.

No 16 laughs at people who enjoy longer battery life on their phones

But it's got a 1.45Ghz PROCESSOR dude.
Not true at all. It has been on record that I feel it's a matter of preference between iPhone and the top of the line android phones. I recently switched from iPhone 4 to S3 and aside from the shorter battery life (not a major issue since I use my phone for pleasure and not business) in happy I made the switch. Edited by No. 16

The one thing that cracks me up is that a lot of iPhone users are truly amazed at how fast LTE is. Just goes to show that a lot of iPhone users have never even held an android device and why Apple is making boatloads.

Renaldo Nehamiah was a really fast wide receiver.
The point isn't about the speed or specs, but that LTE phones have been around for a couple of years now but since they ran only on android phones a majority of smart phone users are just now experiencing the faster networks.Basically if it's not on an iPhone then the tech doesn't even exist for most smart phone users.

Ok, so I just got the 5 which I ordered through the apple store. I'm a Verizon customer. How do I go about activating it and is there anything that I need to make sure to do before doing so?

Anyone? Is it really as simple as turning it on and following the prompts? Switching from a 4, btw.

Well...few things...that EVO battery (I still am using it) sucks.Add in the bigger screen...and that its now a 2+ year old technology running it...I would hope the Apple battery (which was already better) would be better.I don't think its a surprise and its definitely a reason Im switching to the 5 when I do upgrade.

I can't activate my phone. It says activation server unavailable (same with itunes). I call apple and all circuits are busy. WTF

problem fowarded to activation team and should be in contact within 24 hours. They said I have an "orphan phone"

Yup. I had an extended battery on my Evo and still always plugged it in. Even with the extended battery it would need an afternoon charge even when I started the day at 100%.

So I switched over to the iphone5. I've got all of the same (if not very similar) apps that I had on my EVO. The biggest difference is the battery life alone. It's night and day. I'm trying an experiment today: I left the house today and unplugged my EVO from the charger (100% charge, wifi only, no cellular) running all of the same apps as my iphone. I bet when I get home that the EVO will be drastically drained even though I will have been using the iphone for my personal use.

Pros

[*]camera is much better

[*]faster & smoother

[*]battery life

Cons

There may be a few workarounds for the cons, but I haven't taken the time yet. So far, zero regrets

I don't understand how this is apples to apples here. Doesn't battery life degrade over time? A new battery is always going to have superior life.

Not to mention the technology differences. The EVO is a >2 yr old phone, has a much less power efficent SoC than what's out there today, runs a less power efficient OS compared to ICS, and uses a battery hog standard with WiMax. A more fair comparison might be with something like the iPhone 4 running LTE, but that doesn't exist. The iPhone might still win, but the difference is unlikely to be remarkable (by the time I got rid of my 3GS, after 1.5 yrs, my battery life was down around 25%).

Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt that iPhone 5 has fantastic battery life, which is better than most, if not all, Android phones. But to compare it to the OG EVO is ridiculous.

FWIW, I was just comparing it b/c that's what I owned...not looking to write a blog post or anything :shrug:

Pros

[*]camera is much better

[*]faster & smoother

[*]battery life

Cons

It is just interesting to read these and some of the other responses. We all acknowledge that the iPhone 5 is a great device, but I'm more curious how it stacks up against SG3, OneX, and Razr Maxx style phones who all had superior battery life and other aspects to the 4S. I guess there just aren't that many people that have experience with the 5 and the ICS devices; it is hard to understand just how big of a jump these newer Androids have been.

I'm just here for the :popcorn: though, keeping abreast of the technology for the next time I need/want a phone.

Pros

[*]camera is much better

[*]faster & smoother

[*]battery life

Cons

FWIW, I was just comparing it b/c that's what I owned...not looking to write a blog post or anything :shrug:
I'd be interested to see what happens if you re-run the test on your iPhone in a few months. My hunch is that Apple batteries have a bit more staying power over time then the various Android ones. I've been impressed by how long my iPad2 battery has seemed to have similar life so I'm curious to see how that transitions to LTE.

i know i'm way late to the game on the display improvements, but coming from a 3GS to the 5 is :shock:

This article says the ip5 has the best battery, but not by much over the GS3.http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2012/09/26/iphone-5-vs-samsung-galaxy-s3-battery-life-confrontation/

Nice. This sounds like a fun job.

This article says the ip5 has the best battery, but not by much over the GS3.http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2012/09/26/iphone-5-vs-samsung-galaxy-s3-battery-life-confrontation/

No MAxx comparison?!?!?!? :PETA: I have no idea how it compares Edited by belljr

i know i'm way late to the game on the display improvements, but coming from a 3GS to the 5 is :shock:

:lmao: Yeah.. times have changed a bit .

Used Maps to get me from Sacramento into and all around SF for the last few days.

It was flawless. :shrug:

Used Maps to get me from Sacramento into and all around SF for the last few days.

It was flawless. :shrug:

BUT BRIDGES ARE MELTING!

Used Maps to get me from Sacramento into and all around SF for the last few days. It was flawless. :shrug:

not nearly enough outrage in this post.

No MAxx comparison?!?!?!? :PETA: I have no idea how it compares
Mentioned in the article, but not in the graphic:

In case you’re wondering, the phone that came out tops in this test was the Droid RAZR Maxx, lasting a total of 8 hours and 25 minutes.

I'm :confused: about the LTE talk. I'm on AT&T, if they just activated their LTE network, what good would a LTE phone have done for me before I attained my iPhone 5?

Level with me, fellas.. do we have a game changer on our hands?

I've heard it referred to as "the Samsung Killer" :shrug:ETA: You know...Samsung should really work that into their commercials! Edited by The Commish

Level with me, fellas.. do we have a game changer on our hands?

I've heard it referred to as "the Samsung Killer" :shrug:

ETA: You know...Samsung should really work that into their commercials!

:lmao: seriously?

Seems like a very specific use case (like using on an airplane or something), would rather see a comprehensive battery test kind of like a PC Benchmark.

some performance benchmarks:http://www.anandtech.com/show/6324/the-iphone-5-performance-previewfyi...I expect their battery tests to be pretty comprehensive:

currently shooting for the beginning of next week, furiously running battery life tests

Edited by Jojo the circus boy

I'm :confused: about the LTE talk. I'm on AT&T, if they just activated their LTE network, what good would a LTE phone have done for me before I attained my iPhone 5?

on AT&T? Nothing.Verizon has been active for about a year.

So glad I skipped the 4S upgrade. This thing is so much better than the 4. :thumbup:

I assume your area was one that was just turned on? Cause AT&T has had LTE available in quite a few markets already, but flipped the switch on a number of new areas just recently ahead of the iPhone 5 launch.

I assume your area was one that was just turned on? Cause AT&T has had LTE available in quite a few markets already, but flipped the switch on a number of new areas just recently ahead of the iPhone 5 launch.
Yup, Philly market was just turned on this month. I was just confused by the talk of android selling LTE phones for years when I didn't think it was available. I wasn't aware that Verizon had already had their LTE network up and running for a long time.

Cool thing I just found in safari. If you press and hold the page back arrow, it brings up recent page history.

Cool thing I just found in safari. If you press and hold the page back arrow, it brings up recent page history.

:unsure: that's not good.

Waiting for mine to arrive. When I preordered, Verizon guy said they would buy back my 3GS for $80. This sounds pretty good to me. Is anyone doing buy backs likely to give me more?

Anybody having the purple flare happening when a bright light source is in your photo?

Chromatic aberration.

At issue is a lens array's refractive index which numerically represents the manner in which light, or more specifically wavelengths of light, moves through the optics system. Ideally, a lens will focus all colors, or wavelengths, at a single point on the focal plane, thus creating a near-perfect replication of an image. In practice, however, lenses don't allow for wavelengths to meet at a convergence point, creating what is called chromatic aberration.

Due to a number of factors, including reference tuning, architecture of digital sensors and relatively high focal lengths in smaller camera systems, chromatic aberration usually presents itself in shorter wavelengths like violet.

In the end, the iPhone 5's camera most likely has no tangible design flaws and is only a victim of the intrinsic qualities of photography. Perhaps a specialized algorithm can be instituted to compensate for the violet push, though any changes made to the existing post-processing flow will likely throw off other finely tuned aspects of the system.

:unsure: that's not good.
Private Browsing and Clear History are found in the Settings app under Safari. :P

Anybody having the purple flare happening when a bright light source is in your photo?

Chromatic aberration.

At issue is a lens array's refractive index which numerically represents the manner in which light, or more specifically wavelengths of light, moves through the optics system. Ideally, a lens will focus all colors, or wavelengths, at a single point on the focal plane, thus creating a near-perfect replication of an image. In practice, however, lenses don't allow for wavelengths to meet at a convergence point, creating what is called chromatic aberration.

Due to a number of factors, including reference tuning, architecture of digital sensors and relatively high focal lengths in smaller camera systems, chromatic aberration usually presents itself in shorter wavelengths like violet.

In the end, the iPhone 5's camera most likely has no tangible design flaws and is only a victim of the intrinsic qualities of photography. Perhaps a specialized algorithm can be instituted to compensate for the violet push, though any changes made to the existing post-processing flow will likely throw off other finely tuned aspects of the system.

I haven't had the issue, but I don't take a lot of photos.

This is what I am referring to:

http://mashable.com/2012/09/26/iphone-5-purple-haze/

Chromatic aberration.

I haven't had the issue, but I don't take a lot of photos.

This is what I am referring to:

http://mashable.com/2012/09/26/iphone-5-purple-haze/

That is a form of chromatic aberration. Though it's laughable that it's NOT a design flaw. Quality cameras account for this possibility in their processors. I don't expect phones to have that kind of technology, but it's certainly a design issue.

Pros

[*]camera is much better

[*]faster & smoother

[*]battery life

Cons

just for posterity (did I use that word right?) the iphone had 55% when I got home and the EVO had 72% (better than what I thought)

Just became eligible to upgrade at discounted pricing today. When I go onto the Verizon website to order, it says it will ship by 10/26. Will I have better luck just walking in to a Verizon store this afternoon?

Just became eligible to upgrade at discounted pricing today. When I go onto the Verizon website to order, it says it will ship by 10/26. Will I have better luck just walking in to a Verizon store this afternoon?

PM Bucky he handles all tracking questions

Yea, probably. If you really want it today, call around, even to secondary options like Radioshack and Walmart.

Wondering how scratch resistant the new aluminum back will be. Especially the anodized black. The black could easily look like #### after some heavy use/scratching.

I've had the phone for a little over 12hrs and already nicked the black edge somehow. I should've known the annodized black wouldn't be very scratch resistant. This this is gonna look like #### in 6 months.

Wondering how scratch resistant the new aluminum back will be. Especially the anodized black. The black could easily look like #### after some heavy use/scratching.

I've had the phone for a little over 12hrs and already nicked the black edge somehow. I should've known the annodized black wouldn't be very scratch resistant. This this is gonna look like #### in 6 months.
Of all the criticisms so far this seems to be the most valid and problematic. It will be virtually impossible to keep the back scratch free for even a week in any type of use condition.

Of all the criticisms so far this seems to be the most valid and problematic. It will be virtually impossible to keep the back scratch free for even a week in any type of use condition.
It collects fingerprints too. The thing does look good though. What will you guys use to keep it clean (both sides)? I don't want to use a case, I think it's designed well.