What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Apple iPhone Thread (7 Viewers)

'Billy Bats said:
I'm :confused: about the LTE talk. I'm on AT&T, if they just activated their LTE network, what good would a LTE phone have done for me before I attained my iPhone 5?
I assume your area was one that was just turned on? Cause AT&T has had LTE available in quite a few markets already, but flipped the switch on a number of new areas just recently ahead of the iPhone 5 launch.

'Billy Bats said:
I'm :confused: about the LTE talk. I'm on AT&T, if they just activated their LTE network, what good would a LTE phone have done for me before I attained my iPhone 5?
I assume your area was one that was just turned on? Cause AT&T has had LTE available in quite a few markets already, but flipped the switch on a number of new areas just recently ahead of the iPhone 5 launch.
Yup, Philly market was just turned on this month. I was just confused by the talk of android selling LTE phones for years when I didn't think it was available. I wasn't aware that Verizon had already had their LTE network up and running for a long time.

Waiting for mine to arrive. When I preordered, Verizon guy said they would buy back my 3GS for $80. This sounds pretty good to me. Is anyone doing buy backs likely to give me more?

Anybody having the purple flare happening when a bright light source is in your photo?
Chromatic aberration.
At issue is a lens array's refractive index which numerically represents the manner in which light, or more specifically wavelengths of light, moves through the optics system. Ideally, a lens will focus all colors, or wavelengths, at a single point on the focal plane, thus creating a near-perfect replication of an image. In practice, however, lenses don't allow for wavelengths to meet at a convergence point, creating what is called chromatic aberration.

Due to a number of factors, including reference tuning, architecture of digital sensors and relatively high focal lengths in smaller camera systems, chromatic aberration usually presents itself in shorter wavelengths like violet.

In the end, the iPhone 5's camera most likely has no tangible design flaws and is only a victim of the intrinsic qualities of photography. Perhaps a specialized algorithm can be instituted to compensate for the violet push, though any changes made to the existing post-processing flow will likely throw off other finely tuned aspects of the system.

Anybody having the purple flare happening when a bright light source is in your photo?
Chromatic aberration.
At issue is a lens array's refractive index which numerically represents the manner in which light, or more specifically wavelengths of light, moves through the optics system. Ideally, a lens will focus all colors, or wavelengths, at a single point on the focal plane, thus creating a near-perfect replication of an image. In practice, however, lenses don't allow for wavelengths to meet at a convergence point, creating what is called chromatic aberration.

Due to a number of factors, including reference tuning, architecture of digital sensors and relatively high focal lengths in smaller camera systems, chromatic aberration usually presents itself in shorter wavelengths like violet.

In the end, the iPhone 5's camera most likely has no tangible design flaws and is only a victim of the intrinsic qualities of photography. Perhaps a specialized algorithm can be instituted to compensate for the violet push, though any changes made to the existing post-processing flow will likely throw off other finely tuned aspects of the system.
I haven't had the issue, but I don't take a lot of photos.This is what I am referring to:

http://mashable.com/2012/09/26/iphone-5-purple-haze/

Chromatic aberration.

I haven't had the issue, but I don't take a lot of photos.This is what I am referring to:

http://mashable.com/2012/09/26/iphone-5-purple-haze/
That is a form of chromatic aberration. Though it's laughable that it's NOT a design flaw. Quality cameras account for this possibility in their processors. I don't expect phones to have that kind of technology, but it's certainly a design issue.

This battery life is freaking phenomenal compared to the EVO I was using
Yup. I had an extended battery on my Evo and still always plugged it in. Even with the extended battery it would need an afternoon charge even when I started the day at 100%.
It's worth the switch for that alone. Just posted this in the EVO thread:
'Tiger Fan said:
So I switched over to the iphone5. I've got all of the same (if not very similar) apps that I had on my EVO. The biggest difference is the battery life alone. It's night and day. I'm trying an experiment today: I left the house today and unplugged my EVO from the charger (100% charge, wifi only, no cellular) running all of the same apps as my iphone. I bet when I get home that the EVO will be drastically drained even though I will have been using the iphone for my personal use.

Pros

[*]facetime (much better than skype)

[*]camera is much better

[*]faster & smoother

[*]battery life

Cons

[*]Can't archive in gmail (have to use an extra click)

[*]Just a steeper learning curve

[*]can't snooze a reminder

There may be a few workarounds for the cons, but I haven't taken the time yet. So far, zero regrets
just for posterity (did I use that word right?) the iphone had 55% when I got home and the EVO had 72% (better than what I thought)

Just became eligible to upgrade at discounted pricing today. When I go onto the Verizon website to order, it says it will ship by 10/26. Will I have better luck just walking in to a Verizon store this afternoon?

Just became eligible to upgrade at discounted pricing today. When I go onto the Verizon website to order, it says it will ship by 10/26. Will I have better luck just walking in to a Verizon store this afternoon?
Yea, probably. If you really want it today, call around, even to secondary options like Radioshack and Walmart.

Wondering how scratch resistant the new aluminum back will be. Especially the anodized black. The black could easily look like #### after some heavy use/scratching.
I've had the phone for a little over 12hrs and already nicked the black edge somehow. I should've known the annodized black wouldn't be very scratch resistant. This this is gonna look like #### in 6 months.

Wondering how scratch resistant the new aluminum back will be. Especially the anodized black. The black could easily look like #### after some heavy use/scratching.
I've had the phone for a little over 12hrs and already nicked the black edge somehow. I should've known the annodized black wouldn't be very scratch resistant. This this is gonna look like #### in 6 months.
Of all the criticisms so far this seems to be the most valid and problematic. It will be virtually impossible to keep the back scratch free for even a week in any type of use condition.

Of all the criticisms so far this seems to be the most valid and problematic. It will be virtually impossible to keep the back scratch free for even a week in any type of use condition.
It collects fingerprints too. The thing does look good though. What will you guys use to keep it clean (both sides)? I don't want to use a case, I think it's designed well.

It collects fingerprints too. The thing does look good though. What will you guys use to keep it clean (both sides)? I don't want to use a case, I think it's designed well.
I refuse to go anything other than naked. The biggest appeal to me is the fit/finish of apple products. Putting a case on this phone is ruining the best thing about the phone. I noticed the oil on the back too and just used the usual microfiber to wipe it off.I should've went white, damn it. :firstworldproblems:

You guys won't even use a clear case? I get that it's a good looking phone, but how often are you turning it around and admiring the back of the phone?

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys won't even use a clear case? I get that it's a good looking phone, but how often are you turning it around and admiring the back of the phone?
It's all about the feel to me. Thing is so light/thin, I hate the feeling of adding a clunky plastic shell.
for me, that's part of the problem. this thing is slippery and light and very easy to drop.I'm just waiting for a decent case to come out. Preferably as light and thin as possible.

It's all about the feel to me. Thing is so light/thin, I hate the feeling of adding a clunky plastic shell.
for me, that's part of the problem. this thing is slippery and light and very easy to drop.I'm just waiting for a decent case to come out. Preferably as light and thin as possible.
:goodposting: My current speck case also has a thin rubber lip around the screen side, so when I set it down it doesn't slide (or scratch). In addition, it has a flip-up bottom, which allows me to dock it in an iHome which would otherwise not be possible with a case.

I have this one. Very light and thin with good protection. It's made of rubber, but doesn't stick to your pocket when removing :thumbup: http://www.speckproducts.com/iphone-case/iphone-5-cases/pixelskin-hd-for-iphone-5.html

On my 5th iPhone and I've yet to use a case. They all make the phone seem so bulky to me.

The downside is that I've had to replace the back glass on the 4s twice. Apple replaced it for free once, charged me $29 the second time.

Anyone manage to find any quality chargers/car chargers yet? Non-Apple? (Not crazy about spending $30 bucks each to get extras for work, car, girlfriend's house)

oh and facetime over cellular is wonderful for this dad :thumbup:
This was an easy jailbreak since Day 1. Not sure why people that needed it didn't go that way early on?
b/c lots of people don't jailbreak. Not sure why the jailbreak crew find that hard to believe
No kidding.F'n culdeus.
I pity people on stock os. alot.
That's nice.

On my 5th iPhone and I've yet to use a case. They all make the phone seem so bulky to me.The downside is that I've had to replace the back glass on the 4s twice. Apple replaced it for free once, charged me $29 the second time.
Yep. The phone is pretty sturdy as it is... and repair is minor. Only case I use is a battery case for extra juice just because I'm so hard on mine.

Got my wife a white 64 today but she wants to switch to Verizon so unless I take it, it's going back to Best Buy--it's an AT&T phone.

Users who are viewing this thread