What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Patriots at Colts AFC Championship Game Thread *** (1 Viewer)

Just wanted to say congratulations to the Colts and their fans.

As a Pats fan, it's always hard to see your team loose, but for the talent they had this year, I thought the Pats had a great season. I'm really looking forward to two 1st round draft picks next season. :banned:

Last year, after the Pats were out of it, I pulled for the Steelers because I really wanted to see Bettis, and some of the other veterans get a ring. This year I have no problem rooting for Peyton, Harrison, Wayne, and Dungy. They've been an awesome combo for several years, and they deserve that extra recognition that you only get with a Super bowl title.

Just wanted to say congratulations to the Colts and their fans.As a Pats fan, it's always hard to see your team loose, but for the talent they had this year, I thought the Pats had a great season. I'm really looking forward to two 1st round draft picks next season. :yes:Last year, after the Pats were out of it, I pulled for the Steelers because I really wanted to see Bettis, and some of the other veterans get a ring. This year I have no problem rooting for Peyton, Harrison, Wayne, and Dungy. They've been an awesome combo for several years, and they deserve that extra recognition that you only get with a Super bowl title.
:banned: My sentiments exactly.Besides Peyton has won me a few Super Bowl Titles...deserves one himself! :pics:

Well, I didn't read this entire thread. I got home from the game at 2am. It was an amazing game and experience.

Congrats to the Patriots and their fans. Pure class before, during, and after the game.

I have so many memories to take away I don't know where to start.

As expected, we got the best(and then some) from the Patriots. Brady is just awesome. Same for Bruschi and Belichick.

You couldn't imagine how loud the dome was. Zero false starts by the Patriots points to their coaching and discipline.

The 300 or so photos I took on Sunday will document my experiance.

I am humbled and grateful for being able to take that game in.

Go Colts!

Belichick has to be the biggest whining baby of a HC in the league. Excellent game manager, no doubt. Prepares his teams very well. But, damn he's ****.Anyone else see this?
I missed it. Please recap. Seriously. TIA
I didn't see the presser, but his interview with Soloman Wilcots was an abomination. Real short, passionless answers. One question referred to how hard they fought to win last week, asking if fatigue played a part today. Belichick's answer was something like "Oh, I think both teams fought hard." I give credit to Soloman for cutting the interview off after only like 2 questions realizing he was being an ###. If you don't want to talk to a reporter don't agree to an interview.I did think it was pretty funny when they abruptly went back to the set and Boomer had his arms up saying "What the heck was that?"

What's wrong with calling him out on it?
What's right about it?
if you would like we can go straight to "I know you are, but what am I?"
:rolleyes: Exactly. He knows his coach is putting a bad face on the team, but can't quite get over the dissonance of accepting that his head coach acts like a 4-year-old little girl when he loses.
First off, great win by the Colts. Never in all my years of watching football, would I have ever expected that type of win for the Colts. It hurts to say that the played better patriot football at the half than the Patriots did. Secondly, bad calls happen in every game for both sides...pointless to agrue either way...you've got a lot more in life to get whiney about than the calls. Also for all those who can't stand Belichick...tune into WEEI.com and listen to what the coach sounds like when he is away from game. It would seem like that he is pissy after games and not a persona...but give him a day off and he really is pretty real...FWIW. Finally, enjoy the superbowl for the fans that are in it and where is the Patriots off season thread???

Congrats to the Colts and their fans. Peyton Manning removed all doubts last night, putting up a second half for the ages in Uber-clutch fashion.

Bring it home, Peyton. Get that ring! Cut that meat!

Question on that passing play in the 4th quarter that went to Reggie Wayne where he caught it, ran and briefly lost control, only to regain possession again...

There was a roughing the passer call on that play. If Wayne did lose the ball on that play, would the penalty negate the turnover and it would be Colts ball regardless?

Question on that passing play in the 4th quarter that went to Reggie Wayne where he caught it, ran and briefly lost control, only to regain possession again...There was a roughing the passer call on that play. If Wayne did lose the ball on that play, would the penalty negate the turnover and it would be Colts ball regardless?
Yes, the Colts would have kept the ball, but the penalty would have been 15 yards from the original LOS, but since he recovered his own fumble, it was 15 yds from the end of the run. It amounted to about an additional 15 yards or so.

The biggest reason the Pats lost this game was their inability to run the ball especially in the 2nd half. What happened to them? Dillon had 7-48 but 35 yards was a 4th and 1 where he broke through the line and Maroney had a 8-13 :yucky:

Facing one of the worst rushing defenses in the NFL with a lead going into halftime they run the ball 4 times in the 2nd half. Faulk gets 8 yards on a draw, Maroney goes for -1 and -2 and Dillon goes for -1. That's it, the entire 2nd half. Your defense is out of gas and you have the lead I don't know how they don't try and run the ball more than a handful of times. Their inability to run the ball at all lost the game for them.

When Indy had the ball 2nd and 5 at the New England 6, Belichick allowed 40 seconds to run off the clock. As an Indy fan I was quite happy to see this. I don't really know what he was thinking.For a Hall-of-Fame coach, I thought this was really surprising. Brady could have started the last drive with 1:34 and one time-out instead of :54 and 2 time-outs. A big difference.
My wife and I were commenting on that at the time. It seemed like a strange decision to say the least.

2. The non-call on a blatant pass interference call on Reche Caldwell in the end zone. Overall I thought the officiating of this game was good - I had no problem with the huge PI call on Ellis Hobbs that put the Colts on the 1 yard line. But this play was a much more blatant PI than that one - I still can't figure out how it was missed. I forget which DB it was, but he was not looking for the ball (faceguarding) and literally grappling with Caldwell. It didn't cross my mind for a second that it WOULDN'T be a PI call - and there was no call. I'll try and find a YouTube link to it at some point if there is one, because I'm quite certain I'm not looking through homer glasses on this one. I'm not blaming the entire game on this call mind you - Patriots didn't do enough to win - but this was a huge play and made the Pats kick a FG instead of having 1st and goal on the 1 in great position to get the 4 points that would've won them the game.
That was a terrible no call. Definite PI.But after all the lucky breaks that have gone their way the pass 5 years, I can't get a tear out.
Yeah, I don't blame you. And I think the reason why there aren't 3-4 threads started by Pats fans #####ing about this terrible non-call is that we understand that we've gotten a lot of the breaks. And like I said, this non-call, while huge, certainly did not cost them the game. They still had plenty of chances to overcome it and they couldn't do it. Tough break. But it happens.

good for you JohnnyU
My first post since this thing was over, and all I can say right now is wow!! The Pats are a great team and a great organization. I never thought Brady was out of it with a minute to go and 2 time outs. Hell, I was so nervous over this game I couldn't even eat dinner.
Agreed. Great games require great opponents battling it out, and you had that here. The Colts didn't collapse when they were down 21-3 early, and the Patriots didn't collapse when the Colts had tied it up. That was just a great, great game.

Congrats to the Colts from this Pats fan - that was one hell of a Super Bowl last night.

A few parting thoughts:

Very well officiated game, just two minor beefs. Caldwell was interfered with on the third down play in the corner of the end zone, just before the pats had to settle for the FG. Huge no-call, should have been 1st and goal on the 1. I also thought the roughing call on Banta-Cain on the final drive was questionable. overall though well-officiated and I certainly can't say they cost the Pats the game. When you score 34 pts you should win the game.

I can't help but wonder how this game goes w/ harrison and Seau healthy and playing. I'm pretty sure some of those big plays to the Colts TEs wouldn't have happened.

I thought BB should have burned another TO in the Colts final drive. They could have had another 35 seconds or so to play with after getting the ball back. The time would have been much more valuable than the TO.

Why they went to Maroney in the second half with those runs up the middle baffles me. He danced around and lost yards on every one of them. At least Dillon would have hit the hole and avoided negative yards.

I can't believe Brady didn't se Caldwell sooner and snap the ball quickly when he was all alone on the right side. And why did Reche sit down in the flat instead of running a post pattern down the wide open sideline?

I'm very happy for manning, I've always been a fan and thought the plyoff-choke rap was unwarrented. The Colts finally have a defense, that's the difference. Congrats to the Colts and to all their fans, good luck in two weeks. :lmao:

I can't believe Brady didn't se Caldwell sooner and snap the ball quickly when he was all alone on the right side. And why did Reche sit down in the flat instead of running a post pattern down the wide open sideline?
I was going nuts on that play! Caldwell was right in front of us. I was screaming, along with 57,000 other fans to get a T.O.Absolutely amazing that he was:A) uncoveredB) sat down in the flatC) dropped the ball!Colts were very fortunate there.That was a terrible non-call on the 3rd down PI. The hands to the face was ticky tack, but they've called it all year.Great game!

The biggest reason the Pats lost this game was their inability to run the ball especially in the 2nd half. What happened to them? Dillon had 7-48 but 35 yards was a 4th and 1 where he broke through the line and Maroney had a 8-13 :lmao: Facing one of the worst rushing defenses in the NFL with a lead going into halftime they run the ball 4 times in the 2nd half. Faulk gets 8 yards on a draw, Maroney goes for -1 and -2 and Dillon goes for -1. That's it, the entire 2nd half. Your defense is out of gas and you have the lead I don't know how they don't try and run the ball more than a handful of times. Their inability to run the ball at all lost the game for them.
I would have to disagree on this one. What I noticed is that unlike during their other Super Bowl runs they didn't have the big plays on the D side of the ball late in the game. Yeah, Samuel had the int, and they had a couple sacks at the end of the 2nd quarter. However in years past they might've let the Colts go down the field a bit, but would've come up with a big play to stop them/turn the ball over. I think that the age of the D is starting to show up a bit in games like this. Also would like to give a word of congrats to the Colts. To be able to keep their heads and come back after being down 18 so quickly. The Colts wanted it more than the Pats yesterday. I just hope that doesn't mean that Peyton will be in 20 commercials every 1/2 hour instead of his usual 10.

The biggest reason the Pats lost this game was their inability to run the ball especially in the 2nd half. What happened to them? Dillon had 7-48 but 35 yards was a 4th and 1 where he broke through the line and Maroney had a 8-13 :goodposting:

Facing one of the worst rushing defenses in the NFL with a lead going into halftime they run the ball 4 times in the 2nd half. Faulk gets 8 yards on a draw, Maroney goes for -1 and -2 and Dillon goes for -1. That's it, the entire 2nd half. Your defense is out of gas and you have the lead I don't know how they don't try and run the ball more than a handful of times. Their inability to run the ball at all lost the game for them.
I would have to disagree on this one. What I noticed is that unlike during their other Super Bowl runs they didn't have the big plays on the D side of the ball late in the game. Yeah, Samuel had the int, and they had a couple sacks at the end of the 2nd quarter. However in years past they might've let the Colts go down the field a bit, but would've come up with a big play to stop them/turn the ball over. I think that the age of the D is starting to show up a bit in games like this. Also would like to give a word of congrats to the Colts. To be able to keep their heads and come back after being down 18 so quickly. The Colts wanted it more than the Pats yesterday. I just hope that doesn't mean that Peyton will be in 20 commercials every 1/2 hour instead of his usual 10.
What an overused, nonsense cliche. Colts made more plays, but I'm pretty sure the Pats "wanted it" just as much.

The biggest reason the Pats lost this game was their inability to run the ball especially in the 2nd half. What happened to them? Dillon had 7-48 but 35 yards was a 4th and 1 where he broke through the line and Maroney had a 8-13 :eek:

What an overused, nonsense cliche. Colts made more plays, but I'm pretty sure the Pats "wanted it" just as much.
:goodposting: So sorry. The colts played like they wanted it more, how about that? They seemed to have more "fire" towards the end of the game.

The biggest reason the Pats lost this game was their inability to run the ball especially in the 2nd half. What happened to them? Dillon had 7-48 but 35 yards was a 4th and 1 where he broke through the line and Maroney had a 8-13 :goodposting: Facing one of the worst rushing defenses in the NFL with a lead going into halftime they run the ball 4 times in the 2nd half. Faulk gets 8 yards on a draw, Maroney goes for -1 and -2 and Dillon goes for -1. That's it, the entire 2nd half. Your defense is out of gas and you have the lead I don't know how they don't try and run the ball more than a handful of times. Their inability to run the ball at all lost the game for them.
They had a return for a TD and an 80 yard kick return that setup their 2nd half TD. I don't know how many big plays you can count on in a game but those were two good ones. A big reason they may not have made more is that Manning kept them on the field and their offense couldn't run/get 1st downs so they were completely gassed in the 2nd half.

The home field advantage was huge in this game. With a sound team in all facets, and the home crowd, it gave the Colts the energy necessary to pull it out. In years past, playing @ NE, their solid teams and home crowd did the same for them.

My ears are still ringing from the noise level!

The biggest reason the Pats lost this game was their inability to run the ball especially in the 2nd half. What happened to them?
The announcers flu info wasn't very good. I think Dillon and Faulk had the flu. Just answerring a Q, not making excuses, Pats lost.

I think the decline of Tedi Bruschi made a huge difference in both the SD and Indy games. He's not a factor in the middle anymore in run-stopping or covering TE/Zone floating. Those were the two areas that gouged the Pats in the second half.

Tedi's been a warrior and will always be fondly remembered by Pats fans. But it's clearly time to hang 'em up.

Workhorse said:
I think the decline of Tedi Bruschi made a huge difference in both the SD and Indy games. He's not a factor in the middle anymore in run-stopping or covering TE/Zone floating. Those were the two areas that gouged the Pats in the second half.Tedi's been a warrior and will always be fondly remembered by Pats fans. But it's clearly time to hang 'em up.
I got blasted by some of my friends for saying this exact same thing. I mean, friggin' Dominic Rhodes was having success running the ball. Ugh.

MrPhoenix said:
It's hard to throw a pass when you're choking.
bryhamm said:
... and the unravelling has begun
RBM said:
See ya in 2 weeks Patriot fans
Bob_Magaw said:
checkmate
bryhamm said:
If IND does not get a TD before the half, game over.
ICON211 said:
Ha he couldn't dive to the ground quick enough. What a gutless player.
Hammered Finz said:
So what does this year's playoffs do for Manning's legacy? :lmao:
:own3d:

Finless said:
It's deer in the headlights from here on out...Brady rents office space in Manning's head.
cobalt_27 said:
It's over, kids. Time to go plug in Guitar Hero.
Thunderlips said:
:D :D :own3d: :lmao: :lmao: I guess my hatred for Peyton Manning overshadows my disdain for Patriot fans...because I sure am enjoying this game!!!! :clap:
Doo said:
Where are all the people who were spouting off how the Colts would win by 20 + points.WHERE ARE YOU PEOPLE?

MrPhoenix said:
bryhamm said:
RBM said:
Bob_Magaw said:
checkmate
bryhamm said:
ICON211 said:
Hammered Finz said:
So what does this year's playoffs do for Manning's legacy? :hophead:
:mellow:
C'mon. It's not fair to make fun of arrogant Pats fans and Manning haters for posts they made before 8 p.m.Can't you imagine how badly they feel now? Have a heart. :X

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job by the Colts. I'm rooting for them in SB41 (an AFC guy all the way). Up 21-3, I was nervous because I remembered the game in 2003 that coincidentally ended 38-34 in which the Pats lead 31-10 in the third quarter. Turns out my nervousness was well-founded as this time there was no heroic goal-line stand to save the day.

I find it amazing that the heat inside the dome and players cramping up likely due to dehydration caught this team off guard, considering the *exact same thing* happened in the 4th quarter of SB38 (remember that shootout?). Those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it and yada yada.

Workhorse said:
I think the decline of Tedi Bruschi made a huge difference in both the SD and Indy games. He's not a factor in the middle anymore in run-stopping or covering TE/Zone floating. Those were the two areas that gouged the Pats in the second half.Tedi's been a warrior and will always be fondly remembered by Pats fans. But it's clearly time to hang 'em up.
I disagree. Seymour is a probowl player and at the rate he's been getting to the probowl he could be a future HOFer for all we know. I was completely unimpressed with him the last few weeks. Wilfork had good and bad moments. That sneak and one particular run TD he was moved. He's so big, how is that possible? It is extremely difficult to play LBer in the NFL if the DL is porous(lack of a better word).There were a number of times the last two weeks that Seau not being there really hurt the Pats. I know he's ancient but he sure played well for them this year. Wayyyyyyyy better than I ever expected. With a shakey DL, I'd be more comfy with two guys like Bruschi and Seau plugging in those holes but Bruschi had to feel all alone out there on some run plays.That LB, Alexander?, was a horrible substitution by BB. He didn't play stout when he needed to and he was so oWned by Fletcher. The LBers are the heart of any BB D, I'm sorry he put that guy in.

MrPhoenix said:
bryhamm said:
RBM said:
Bob_Magaw said:
checkmate
bryhamm said:
ICON211 said:
Hammered Finz said:
So what does this year's playoffs do for Manning's legacy? :lmao:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Classic. Thanks for the recap.

C'mon. It's not fair to make fun of arrogant Pats fans
All in all I think Pats fans have handled things very well.
The ones who came back after the game and offered congratulations were fine.I was referring to the ones who spouted off before the game or during the early stages of the game. Some of them disappeared.I'm just having a little fun because I've read the Indy Star's Colts message board for years and there have been plenty (not all, but plenty) of arrogant New England fans there. They weren't exactly gracious after the Patriots defeated the Colts in previous playoff games.My honest opinion is that this game was an all-time classic and fans of both teams should be proud. And I'm so glad I was there to see it in person.

Sometimes it is better not to know... :hot:

Patriots | NFL admits to making mistake on Hobbs' pass interference flag :banned:

Fri, 26 Jan 2007 18:48:13 -0800

Shalise Manza Young, of the Providence Journal, reports the NFL has admitted it was wrong to flag New England Patriots CB Ellis Hobbs for defensive pass interference during the Patriots' AFC Championship Game loss. Hobbs was face-guarding Indianapolis Colts WR Reggie Wayne in the corner of the endzone on the play. The pass hit Hobbs in the left arm and Hobbs said he never touched Wayne on the play. League official Dean Blandino confirmed to Jaguars.com's Vic Ketchman that it was a bad call. Blandino said Hobbs did nothing to impede Wayne from catching the ball, and he did not make contact with the receiver.

Sometimes it is better not to know... :yes:

Patriots | NFL admits to making mistake on Hobbs' pass interference flag :shock:

Shalise Manza Young, of the Providence Journal, reports the NFL has admitted it was wrong to flag New England Patriots CB Ellis Hobbs for defensive pass interference during the Patriots' AFC Championship Game loss. Hobbs was face-guarding Indianapolis Colts WR Reggie Wayne in the corner of the endzone on the play. The pass hit Hobbs in the left arm and Hobbs said he never touched Wayne on the play. League official Dean Blandino confirmed to Jaguars.com's Vic Ketchman that it was a bad call. Blandino said Hobbs did nothing to impede Wayne from catching the ball, and he did not make contact with the receiver.
But now, we will never know what would have happened on that drive. The Colts might have scored a touchdown, anyway, as I am pretty sure that was a 2nd down play. So, while a bad call, you (in the general sense, not anyone in particular) cannot say it cost the Patriots the game.

Sometimes it is better not to know... :banned:

Patriots | NFL admits to making mistake on Hobbs' pass interference flag :wub:

But now, we will never know what would have happened on that drive. The Colts might have scored a touchdown, anyway, as I am pretty sure that was a 2nd down play. So, while a bad call, you (in the general sense, not anyone in particular) cannot say it cost the Patriots the game.
Agreed...the Pats own penalties cost them. This play was on a 2-7 from the Pats 19, and the penalty made it a first and goal from the one. A stop here and a field goal give the Pats hope. The TD here and the 2 pt conversion totally deflates the team and momentum is totally shifted. :cry: Third Quarter

2-7-NE19 (4:12) (Shotgun) P.Manning pass incomplete deep left to R.Wayne.

PENALTY on NE-E.Hobbs, Defensive Pass Interference, 18 yards, enforced at NE 19 - No Play.

1-1-NE1 (4:06) P.Manning pass short right to D.Klecko for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN.

TWO-POINT CONVERSION ATTEMPT. P.Manning pass to M.Harrison is complete. ATTEMPT SUCCEEDS.

NE 21 IND 21, Plays: 6 Yards: 76 Possession: 2:50.

Sometimes it is better not to know... :hophead:

Patriots | NFL admits to making mistake on Hobbs' pass interference flag :confused:

that's good to know.It's not :hophead: football's a rough sport, they can't call everything. There's probably a bunch of stuff both teams did that we don't know about

Users who are viewing this thread