What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dark Tower Series - The Movie(s) / Series (2 Viewers)

Would LOVE to see Aaron Paul as Eddie.

Between Justified and Deadwood, I could see Tomothy Olyphant as Roland.

Still can't figure where they're gonna get a legless black chick though.
When I started reading this series, I always pictured her as Holly Robinson. She's past the correct age for the character nowadays (but probably still gorgeous? :pray:), but that's Susannah in my mind until some casting director ####s it all up.To me, Jake will be the toughest to cast.
I imagined zoe saldana
She's the chick in the new Star Trek, right? Yeah, she'd be good. CGI and camera tricks could take care of the legless thing.

King kind of screwed it up for showrunners/producers by saying how much he modeled Roland on Clint Eastwood. He wasn't doing it deliberately, I don't think, but there it is - time flies. I thought Chigurz (sp?) was a quirky, inspired choice. Someone above mentioned Olyphant (who I didn't like in Deadwood but did in Justified) - he may work too.

When I started reading this series, I always pictured her as Holly Robinson. She's past the correct age for the character nowadays (but probably still gorgeous? :pray:), but that's Susannah in my mind until some casting director ####s it all up.To me, Jake will be the toughest to cast.
I imagined zoe saldana
I was thinking younger, and male.

I imagined zoe saldana
She's the chick in the new Star Trek, right? Yeah, she'd be good. CGI and camera tricks could take care of the legless thing.King kind of screwed it up for showrunners/producers by saying how much he modeled Roland on Clint Eastwood. He wasn't doing it deliberately, I don't think, but there it is - time flies. I thought Chigurz (sp?) was a quirky, inspired choice. Someone above mentioned Olyphant (who I didn't like in Deadwood but did in Justified) - he may work too.
Schwarzenegger.

"Get to da towah! Come ahn! Do it, do it now!"

I imagined zoe saldana
She's the chick in the new Star Trek, right? Yeah, she'd be good. CGI and camera tricks could take care of the legless thing.King kind of screwed it up for showrunners/producers by saying how much he modeled Roland on Clint Eastwood. He wasn't doing it deliberately, I don't think, but there it is - time flies. I thought Chigurz (sp?) was a quirky, inspired choice. Someone above mentioned Olyphant (who I didn't like in Deadwood but did in Justified) - he may work too.
Schwarzenegger. "Get to da towah! Come ahn! Do it, do it now!"
:lmao: perfect.

I have waited so long, I can wait until they get it perfect. King rushed ( after the accident the books then ruined them). Pushed them out to be done. Ruined 20 years of book making magic for me. Still my fav, over SOIAF.What can I say, I`m a sucked for a pair of 45`s.. Wait, until Ice and Fire is done then blow us away.. My Not SHO.

I hope you're right. I still think this would be better off as a TV series - it's perfect for the Game Of Thrones treatment.

Kind of hope it never happens. To me it will never live up to the hype.
Despite The Stand series not being as good as the book, I thought it was still alot better than most stuff on TV. I would like to see the series on TV because there is no way I want to read that long of a series for a second time, but I wouldn't mind watching it for a season or 3 and a couple movies..

I think they're still trying to do multiple movies w/ a tv series tie in between some of them. That was the original plan. I agree though, HBO/Showtime show would be perfect.

Same thing w/ the Stand. That should get the single seasn, True Detective, type treatment. Just do 8-10 episodes, give the first half the book the time it deserves. Could be awesome.

Idris Elba is being primed to star as the lead in the much-anticipated adaptation of Stephen King’s The Dark Tower.According to Deadline, the actor, who gained fame with a role in The Wire, is in talks to take the role of Roland Deschain, the gunslinger who squares off against villain Walter Padick, AKA the Man in Black, who will be played by Matthew McConaughey.

Last month it was revealed that McConaughey had been offered both roles and was interested in playing the bad guy.
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/dec/10/idris-elba-stephen-king-the-dark-tower-matthew-mcconaughey

Great great actor, but not at all what Roland looks like, at least in my mind's eye. First off, he's black. Secondly, he's too young, or at least too young-looking. I could see McConaughey, but they'd have to age him a bit too. Flagg, I would think someone like Benedict Cumberbatch. Then again, they don't give a #### what I think.

Having a black guy play roland will totally change the dynamic between Roland and Susannah/Odetta.
Hopefully they'll get rid of King's awful attempts at black patois. I was embarassing when he was writing that stuff in the 80s and he STILL does it. In fact, just ditch all of the "honky mafah" stuff.

Having a black guy play roland will totally change the dynamic between Roland and Susannah/Odetta.
Hopefully they'll get rid of King's awful attempts at black patois. I was embarassing when he was writing that stuff in the 80s and he STILL does it. In fact, just ditch all of the "honky mafah" stuff.
King has always made me cringe when writing black characters. Mr. Mercedes was painful to read in certain parts because of this. He needs to hire someone else to write those parts.

Great great actor, but not at all what Roland looks like, at least in my mind's eye. First off, he's black. Secondly, he's too young, or at least too young-looking. I could see McConaughey, but they'd have to age him a bit too. Flagg, I would think someone like Benedict Cumberbatch. Then again, they don't give a #### what I think.
Doesn't bother me at all. Red from Shawshank was supposed to be an Irish guy, but Morgan Freeman knocked it out of the park. Pretty easy to age an actor on screen.

He's about the 10th Roland I've heard, we'll see when it actually starts shooting.

I always thought it would be great with McConaughey and Bardem. I don't even care which one is Roland and which one is the man in black. WOuld love to see that.

King has always made me cringe when writing black characters. Mr. Mercedes was painful to read in certain parts because of this. He needs to hire someone else to write those parts.
In the last book (the Mr Mercedes sequel), King seemed to recognize the problem by having one of the characters tell the kid doing pickaninny to stop, but HE STILL DID IT.

Looking at the picture he is older looking than I thought. He might make a good Roland. The only problem is that when I think of Roland I always think of the eyes first, the blue eyes. Interesting choice though, could work out really well.

The Odetta dynamic does get screwed up a bit.

Looking at the picture he is older looking than I thought. He might make a good Roland. The only problem is that when I think of Roland I always think of the eyes first, the blue eyes. Interesting choice though, could work out really well.

The Odetta dynamic does get screwed up a bit.
I don't really care what color his eyes are myself, but they can make any actor's eyes appear blue.

Doesn't bother me at all. Red from Shawshank was supposed to be an Irish guy, but Morgan Freeman knocked it out of the park. Pretty easy to age an actor on screen.
I'm sure once it comes out, I won't care. Besides which, Idris Elba is in my top 2-3 favorite actors on Earth. Guy is incredible.

January release date is only a year from now. No way is that possible if they haven't even started filming yet.

From birthmoviesdeath.com:

From where I'm standing, everything worth being excited about here - the pitch-perfect casting, the fact that shooting will begin in a matter of weeks, the firm release date that's less than a year away (which, depending on how you're looking at it, may not be a great thing at all) - is more than balanced out by the reveal that the first Dark Tower movie will not adapt the first book in the series, that "a lot of it" takes place in our own world, that they're rolling with a version of the Goldsman draft, and that the entire shape of the franchise has yet to be determined. Speaking as a hardcore Tower fan: I am deeply conflicted about all of this.

This doesn't make me optimistic.

A lot of the book series does take place in our own world.  I also don't think they need to faithfully adapt the first book as a standalone movie, I think they could get through the first two in one film as I don't believe very much action takes place in book one (IIRC, I read that a LONG LONG time ago.)

Users who are viewing this thread