What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tried this chili recipe for the first time... (3 Viewers)

Yeah, I don't mess much with this recipe.

I add an ounce of Baker's Chocolate and that's it. :shrug:

And I make this at least once a month these days.

The shot of Jack Daniels is so key. Such a great "secret" ingredient.

I will say, I can no longer find the dried chili peppers so I'm always substituting with a half cup of chili powder and as long as the chili powder is fresh and hasn't been in your cabinet for months, it turns out just as good (if not better).

Yeah, I don't mess much with this recipe.

I add an ounce of Baker's Chocolate and that's it. :shrug:

And I make this at least once a month these days.

The shot of Jack Daniels is so key. Such a great "secret" ingredient.

I will say, I can no longer find the dried chili peppers so I'm always substituting with a half cup of chili powder and as long as the chili powder is fresh and hasn't been in your cabinet for months, it turns out just as good (if not better).
I also go the fresh chili powder route anymore, mainly because it's easier and I have a hard time noticing any difference.

I also have trouble finding the dried New Mexico Chilies
I don't know anything about the grocery stores in DC, but I've generally noticed you are better off finding the places poor people or Hispanics are most likely to go.

Latino food shops are obviously fantastic, but a regional lowbrow chain around here (Food Lion) is the only grocery store with a decent selection.

Even Wal-Mart around here has a terrible selection. Only Ancho chiles, which I really don't like.

The whiter, more suburban the clientele, the less likely to find any dried chile, and if you do, there won't be any selection and it'll be insanely overpriced (though over priced dried chile is still pretty cheap).

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know anything about the grocery stores in DC, but I've generally noticed you are better off finding the places poor people or Hispanics are most likely to go.

Latino food shops are obviously fantastic, but a regional lowbrow chain around here (Food Lion) is the only grocery store with a decent selection.

Even Wal-Mart around here has a terrible selection. Only Ancho chiles, which I really don't like.
going to check the international market today

The whiter, more suburban the clientele, the less likely to find any dried chile, and if you do, there won't be any selection and it'll be insanely overpriced (though over priced dried chile is still pretty cheap).
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Badia-New-Mexico-Chili-Peppers-6-oz/10311798

I do get that exact package in a pinch at Food Lion, but I haven't seen them at the local Wal-Mart. Odd because they do have a decent selection of Latino sundries, but not dried chiles for some reason.

Noticing more and more Badia products popping up around here. I keep meaning to pick up a bottle of the Badia sriracha sauce.

I do get that exact package in a pinch at Food Lion, but I haven't seen them at the local Wal-Mart. Odd because they do have a decent selection of Latino sundries, but not dried chiles for some reason.

Noticing more and more Badia products popping up around here. I keep meaning to pick up a bottle of the Badia sriracha sauce.
I often find them in the fresh procuce section if not in the ethnic food section.

I've made it the past two Sundays to kick off the football season.

Still use the basic recipe, but adjust a few things.

I use whole canned tomatoes and start everything by simmering the chiles with the tomatoes and juices. Then blend/strain enchilada sauce style.

That ends up being the only tomato product I use (2 big cans in a batch with a 2.5-3 lb. chuck roast and 1 pound of ground pork).

For simmering time, 3-4 hours works better for me. I dice the chuck up pretty small, but still, at the 1.5-2 hour mark it's not tender enough for my liking (and certainly not showcasing the magic that chuck can be). I'm still dicing it a little larger than the pre-packaged "stew beef", so maybe that's it.

This is terrible, but I actually use Busch Light or PBR. I only like piss beer or really hoppy beer. I can't stand buying a 6-pack of Fat Tire or Amber/Brown Ale that I'll have no interest in drinking to make chili. Anybody tried an APA or IPA in chili? I've been too scared to try.
I use a couple of porters instead.

I've made it the past two Sundays to kick off the football season.

Still use the basic recipe, but adjust a few things.

I use whole canned tomatoes and start everything by simmering the chiles with the tomatoes and juices. Then blend/strain enchilada sauce style.

That ends up being the only tomato product I use (2 big cans in a batch with a 2.5-3 lb. chuck roast and 1 pound of ground pork).

For simmering time, 3-4 hours works better for me. I dice the chuck up pretty small, but still, at the 1.5-2 hour mark it's not tender enough for my liking (and certainly not showcasing the magic that chuck can be). I'm still dicing it a little larger than the pre-packaged "stew beef", so maybe that's it.

This is terrible, but I actually use Busch Light or PBR. I only like piss beer or really hoppy beer. I can't stand buying a 6-pack of Fat Tire or Amber/Brown Ale that I'll have no interest in drinking to make chili. Anybody tried an APA or IPA in chili? I've been too scared to try.
I've used Dos Equis (sp) before and liked the results.

What if I don't want to use 5lbs of the stew meat? If I say I only use 2 pounds, just cut everything in half?
I think the mix of stew meat, pork sausage and chili beans are a matter of personal preference. I've gone to a 4lbs stew meat and 2 pounds sausage ration.

Just don't tweak the base much.

There's a lot of Mexican's that live near me, so I don't have issues finding the dried peppers at the store. However, it's really easy to dry your own this time of year and use throughout the winter if you are having trouble. I grow my own peppers, and I like throwing a different combination of dried peppers in each time. Throwing in a couple of Ghost Peppers with dried sweet peppers gives an awesome flavor, but it's still not too hot. Another thing I've tried in early fall is to roast fresh peppers on the grill and add them to the mix.

What if I don't want to use 5lbs of the stew meat? If I say I only use 2 pounds, just cut everything in half?
I think the mix of stew meat, pork sausage and chili beans are a matter of personal preference. I've gone to a 4lbs stew meat and 2 pounds sausage ration.

Ok cool. Usually when I make chili, I use about 2lbs ground beef, 1lb sausage and 1lb of bacon. That usually gets me about 7 or 8 servings. Definitely going to try your recipe. Chili is a staple in our house around this time of the year, especially on Sundays.

Ok cool. Usually when I make chili, I use about 2lbs ground beef, 1lb sausage and 1lb of bacon. That usually gets me about 7 or 8 servings. Definitely going to try your recipe. Chili is a staple in our house around this time of the year, especially on Sundays.
I wouldn't put those meats in this chili. I similarly use 4 lbs of chuck with 2 pounds of sausage and really like it. But please, please, please don't put ground beef or bacon in this.

I wouldn't put those meats in this chili. I similarly use 4 lbs of chuck with 2 pounds of sausage and really like it. But please, please, please don't put ground beef or bacon in this.
Will do! Seems like everyone loves this recipe, so I'm going to follow it to a T, minus the 5lbs of meat. Since I'll just be making a small batch for the wife and I.

first time I tried the recipe it was almost a stew, liquidy.. maybe I should have let it simmer longer I suppose?

Will do! Seems like everyone loves this recipe, so I'm going to follow it to a T, minus the 5lbs of meat. Since I'll just be making a small batch for the wife and I.
If you do make more, you could freeze it. Nice leftovers!!!

I've made this countless times. Changed it up today. Used chili powder instead of rehydrated chilies. Used amber beer but it was older Abita amber and must have been bitter. Had to add some chocolate and extra tomatoes to balance out the bitterness.

It wasn't the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I missed it somewhere, but how many servings does that make? Gonna give it a try Friday.

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but how many servings does that make? Gonna give it a try Friday.
plenty..... start by figuring 6 pounds of meat - how many people do you want to feed?

I made this once already this year... I am thinking time #2 is just around the corner.........

plenty..... start by figuring 6 pounds of meat - how many people do you want to feed?

I made this once already this year... I am thinking time #2 is just around the corner.........
Do you mean 6 servings per pound of meat?
No. The recipe calls for 6 pounds of meat plus onion and other stuff. How much do you plan on eating? ie If you figure you have big eaters they may eat close to a pound of meat each, therefore you get call it 8 really large servings. If you are serving chili along with a bunch of other stuff, you may get 25 servings out of this....

add more vareties of dried chilis: ancho, guajillo, cacabel for example

add some fish sauce or anchovies to ramp up the umami

add liquid maggi or maybe a maggi boullion cube or two

add unsweetened chocolate. or mexican chocolate

add a bit of finely ground coffee

use masa to thicken if necessary

Going to try this today with my boys. They love to cook. Also, finding the ingredients at the store is a big thrill for them? Why? I dunno. Also, it is 30 degrees here so perfect weather for chili.

Making a batch of this, adding a 22 of Rogue Double Chocolate Stout, Aneheim Chilis (in addition to rehydrated chilis). Bought two pounds of stew meat from New Seasons, one pound of ribeye, and one pound of hot italian sausage.

In a couple hours, we'll see how it turns out...Not sure if I want to add the bakers chocolate with using the Rogue, might be a little heavy.

We still like this thing? I need to make Chili for about 20 adults. How much should I scale this up to?

Going to fire up a batch (my second run at it) this weekend, two questions:

1. Last time I made this I borrowed an old stock pot, want to buy my own now. 12 Quarts enough? 16?

Do you think one of these would do the trick or another recommendation?

T-fal A92280 Specialty Nonstick Dishwasher Safe PFOA Free Stockpot Stock Pot Cookware, 12-Quart, Black

http://www.amazon.com/T-fal-Specialty-Nonstick-Dishwasher-Stockpot/dp/B000GWK34K/ref=sr_1_14?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1415826662&sr=1-14&keywords=stock+pot

Excelsteel 16 Quart Stainless Steel Stockpot With Encapsulated Base

http://www.amazon.com/Excelsteel-Quart-Stainless-Stockpot-Encapsulated/dp/B0030T1KR0/ref=sr_1_40?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1415826803&sr=1-40&keywords=stock+pot

2. My wife wants me to put beans in the chili so I'm willing to try it that way once.

What kind of beans and how many for the standard recipe mentioned? Pinto? Red? Black? Kindney?

TIA!

Lehigh98 said:

1. Last time I made this I borrowed an old stock pot, want to buy my own now. 12 Quarts enough? 16?

T-fal A92280 Specialty Nonstick Dishwasher Safe PFOA Free Stockpot Stock Pot Cookware, 12-Quart, Black

http://www.amazon.com/T-fal-Specialty-Nonstick-Dishwasher-Stockpot/dp/B000GWK34K/ref=sr_1_14?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1415826662&sr=1-14&keywords=stock+pot

http://www.amazon.com/Excelsteel-Quart-Stainless-Stockpot-Encapsulated/dp/B0030T1KR0/ref=sr_1_40?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1415826803&sr=1-40&keywords=stock+pot

2. My wife wants me to put beans in the chili so I'm willing to try it that way once.

What kind of beans and how many for the standard recipe mentioned? Pinto? Red? Black? Kindney?

TIA!
Re: #2, I frequently use this recipe which uses red kidney beans, white kidney beans, and black beans. If I had to use just one for chili, it would be red kidney beans.

Lehigh98 said:

TIA!
Re: #2, I frequently use this recipe which uses red kidney beans, white kidney beans, and black beans. If I had to use just one for chili, it would be red kidney beans.
Exactly. I use red kidney beans as well.

Lehigh98 said:

TIA!
Do you use cans, drain and add for last half hour of simmering?

How many beans do you add for the standard recipe?

Lehigh98 said:

TIA!

I drain, add at the end, and use two of the big cans (32oz each I think). The family just got done finishing a batch of this ambrosia and I'm already thinking about when I can make it again.

Buddy of mine kept bragging about his award winning chili. I was skeptical because I like to think I know how to brew up a batch. Stuff kicks ###. I paid him for his recipe and I'm providing it here for you free:

2lbs beef chuck roast coarsely diced

2lbs pour shoulder coarsely diced

1 large onion

3 minced garlic cloves

24oz beer or beef stock

28oz ROTEL tomatoes with green chilies

8oz tomato sauce

2T chili powder

1T salt

1T cumin

1.5t paprika

2 diced and seeded serrano peppers

1 diced and seeded pasillo pepper

3T masa mix with 6T warm water

Cook meat onion and garlic in saucepan over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. (best if you can do this over an open fire) Add all other ingredients except the mesa and simmer for 3 hours. Cool and degrease. Warm and add dissolved mesa and simmer another 30 minutes.

:moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag: :porked:

TIA!

I drain and put in at the beginning.

Buddy of mine kept bragging about his award winning chili. I was skeptical because I like to think I know how to brew up a batch. Stuff kicks ###. I paid him for his recipe and I'm providing it here for you free:

1 large onion

3 minced garlic cloves

24oz beer or beef stock

8oz tomato sauce

2T chili powder

1T salt

1T cumin

1.5t paprika

Cook meat onion and garlic in saucepan over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. (best if you can do this over an open fire) Add all other ingredients except the mesa and simmer for 3 hours. Cool and degrease. Warm and add dissolved mesa and simmer another 30 minutes.

that looks really, really good.

Running a modified version of this at the restaurant. Even my culinary snobs have liked it. 5# Rib Meat....the onions are smoked....3 different peppers.....and 4 beans. pics on face book. I ate two huge bowls yesterday.

Subsequently I have had 3 poops since 3 am.

Running a modified version of this at the restaurant. Even my culinary snobs have liked it. 5# Rib Meat....the onions are smoked....3 different peppers.....and 4 beans. pics on face book. I ate two huge bowls yesterday.

Subsequently I have had 3 poops since 3 am.
How do you manage 4 beans? I've never had success with more than one without one just turning to mush before the others are cooked. Unless you use cans I guess.

1 large onion

3 minced garlic cloves

24oz beer or beef stock

8oz tomato sauce

2T chili powder

1T salt

1T cumin

1.5t paprika

that looks really, really good.
Looks like another Chili recipe to try.. I'll have to try to find these peppers in Cleveland.. no small feat.

Users who are viewing this thread