What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tried this chili recipe for the first time... (2 Viewers)

this Boilermaker tailgate chili is the one

made another batch this weekend. only change i'd make to it is bumping up the chili powder and chili peppers.

Celery? And beans?
yep. i was skeptical at first but it's all really good together.

Celery (and carrots) join onions for the basis of any true Italian bolognese sauce so not a stretch at all for chili.

If Chili was Italian maybe... ;)

Timely. Made chili this weekend. Experimented and did it two ways - same chili but one I simmered on stove and one I smoked for the last ~90 minutes.

Leftover BBQ brisket
Tomatoes
garlic
chilies
tons of spices
onions minced up super small
one can of dry cider

Simple, easy...delicious.

Wife said the smoked one was good but wasn't "chili like I want that reminds me of chili when it's chilly out" LOL

made another batch this weekend. only change i'd make to it is bumping up the chili powder and chili peppers.

Celery? And beans?

Celery (and carrots) join onions for the basis of any true Italian bolognese sauce so not a stretch at all for chili.

by no means is celery a requirement. it doesn't add flavor, just some snap to the bite. i sometimes omit it and don't notice a difference.

This one? https://ericasrecipes.com/smoked-chili-over-the-top/

I have not. The "over the top" part is really just adding all the rendered beef fat to the chili.

There's plenty of flavor there of course, in the fat/grease, but I think you'd want to watch that close to make sure you don't get too much fat. You could have effectively the same thing by just adding all the fat/grease from the pan when you cook the beef and sausage the regular way.

Celery? And beans?

by no means is celery a requirement. it doesn't add flavor, just some snap to the bite. i sometimes omit it and don't notice a difference.

If you're going with celery in Chili, maybe try adding potatoes? Or mushrooms? ;)

And apologies for being a Chili snob here. I think it's growing up in Texas maybe but Chili and BBQ have some "sacredness". I know most don't feel that way.

Celery? And beans?

If you're going with celery in Chili, maybe try adding potatoes? Or mushrooms? ;)
scribblesnotes

this being WIsconsin, i think we just load up on as much food as possible in every meal. the more you can add to a dish the better. might mix in some oatmeal to serve it as a breakfast dish.

This recipe is very similar to how my chili recipe has evolved over the years. A few changes in mine.

- I cut my beef in larger pieces that 1/4 to 1/2 inch. They are more like 1/2 to 1 inch. Some of the beef will shred as it cooks which is fine by me.
- I use a variety of dried chilis for some variety. I do use New Mexico, but also throw in some Ancho or pasillas. I also get one of those cans of chipotles in adobo sauce and throw a couple into the puree. This provides heat and amazing flavor from the sauce.
- I have a spice blend that includes coriander, whole cloves, star anise, oregano, and cumin. The depth these different spices adds is crazy good.
- I'm not sure what the tomato soup adds over a can of crushed tomatoes.
- I'll add a splash of cider vinegar for acidity and some dark brown sugar for sweet notes if needed.

Also I use beans only if I'm feeding a lot of people and it's a cheaper filler than adding more meat. I like using the dry Rancho Gordo beans, soaked in a salt bath overnight. Canned beans are gross.

Celery? And beans?

And apologies for being a Chili snob here. I think it's growing up in Texas maybe but Chili and BBQ have some "sacredness". I know most don't feel that way.

No need to apologize for being chili snobby. Chili is a very polarizing issue. I used to be a strict chili snob until I learned that applying some basic food science just makes it better in some areas. I guess I'm more of a food science snob.

For example with the celery, if you add it at the beginning while cooking your onions, then by the time that pot of chili has cooked for several hours, that celery will have evaporated and you will never notice it was there to begin with. It works in a Bolognese because a Bolognese doesn't have spices or chilis adding so much flavor and you can still taste the aromatics in the final product. If you want the bite that celery can provide, you need to add it in the final hour/half hour of the cooking process and then be prepared for the chili purists to yell at you.

This one? https://ericasrecipes.com/smoked-chili-over-the-top/

I have not. The "over the top" part is really just adding all the rendered beef fat to the chili.

There's plenty of flavor there of course, in the fat/grease, but I think you'd want to watch that close to make sure you don't get too much fat. You could have effectively the same thing by just adding all the fat/grease from the pan when you cook the beef and sausage the regular way.
Smells a bit like a recipe designed for social media.

- I'll add a splash of cider vinegar for acidity and some dark brown sugar for sweet notes if needed.
I usually go with a can of spicy V8 over tomato soup or crushed tomatoes.

I also like to finish with some vinegar in the last 20 minutes.

This recipe is very similar to how my chili recipe has evolved over the years. A few changes in mine.

- I cut my beef in larger pieces that 1/4 to 1/2 inch. They are more like 1/2 to 1 inch. Some of the beef will shred as it cooks which is fine by me.
- I use a variety of dried chilis for some variety. I do use New Mexico, but also throw in some Ancho or pasillas. I also get one of those cans of chipotles in adobo sauce and throw a couple into the puree. This provides heat and amazing flavor from the sauce.
- I have a spice blend that includes coriander, whole cloves, star anise, oregano, and cumin. The depth these different spices adds is crazy good.

Also I use beans only if I'm feeding a lot of people and it's a cheaper filler than adding more meat. I like using the dry Rancho Gordo beans, soaked in a salt bath overnight. Canned beans are gross.

You and I should get together and cook chili some day.

Celery? And beans?

I posted in this thread a couple years ago that I made this recipe while subbing out 100% of the meat for mushrooms.

I was on a heavily restricted diet at the time due to lacerating my esophagus and meat was off limits. It honestly came out phenomenal and was just as tasty as using chuck. I’m obviously not a purist and I like to experiment in the kitchen. At the time I was coming off of a clear liquid diet (broth, gatorade, apple juice), a liquid diet (purées, smoothies) and had moved on to soft foods like soups. By that point I was craving different flavors, and perhaps that skewed my judgement, but the people I shared it with including my mushroom hating kids all loved it.

Celery? And beans?

I posted in this thread a couple years ago that I made this recipe while subbing out 100% of the meat for mushrooms.

I was on a heavily restricted diet at the time due to lacerating my esophagus and meat was off limits. It honestly came out phenomenal and was just as tasty as using chuck. I’m obviously not a purist and I like to experiment in the kitchen. At the time I was coming off of a clear liquid diet (broth, gatorade, apple juice), a liquid diet (purées, smoothies) and had moved on to soft foods like soups. By that point I was craving different flavors, and perhaps that skewed my judgement, but the people I shared it with including my mushroom hating kids all loved it.
Have a nice season, guy. :bye:

Celery? And beans?

IMO it is silly that we call all variations of BBQ by the same term. BBQ is completely different in Texas, KC, Memphis, St. Louis, eastern NC, western NC/SC, etc. I like most of them, but they are different foods, especially when the focus varies from chopped/pulled pork to ribs to brisket, etc., plus the different regions typically also have different sides.

Same for chili IMO. This version of chili is great, but there are many other variations that are different and great.

You and I should get together and cook chili some day.

Chili cookoff cornhole sounds nice to me.

Ain't no ****ing way I am using tomato soup in a chili. This is a thing?

It's no that far fetched. Tomato soup is essentially just tomatoes and salt. I just dont know what using it over canned tomatoes gets you. But the OP recipe says you can substitute.
I learned to make tomato soup this past year. A good tomato soup has much more than just tomatoes and salt. Red bell pepper, onion, garlic, carrot. Depending on what flavor profile you are after, you can put just about anything in it. All you really do is cut up the vegetables into large chunks, coat in a high smoke point oil, and roast in the oven for 45 minutes or so. Take them out of the oven and blend til smooth.

Now, with the above information in mind, think about chili while mentally scanning the vegetable section of your grocery store. What would you use?

Ain't no ****ing way I am using tomato soup in a chili. This is a thing?

It's no that far fetched. Tomato soup is essentially just tomatoes and salt. I just dont know what using it over canned tomatoes gets you. But the OP recipe says you can substitute.
I learned to make tomato soup this past year. A good tomato soup has much more than just tomatoes and salt. Red bell pepper, onion, garlic, carrot. Depending on what flavor profile you are after, you can put just about anything in it. All you really do is cut up the vegetables into large chunks, coat in a high smoke point oil, and roast in the oven for 45 minutes or so. Take them out of the oven and blend til smooth.

Now, with the above information in mind, think about chili while mentally scanning the vegetable section of your grocery store. What would you use?

The recipe says a can of tomato soup. I dont think Campbells is taking the time you do with your recipe which sounds delicious. I think the can is basically pureed tomatoes and sodium.

A lot of people messin’ with perfection. Seriously, I’ve adjusted the meat/sausage ratios at times, and have dabbled adding the chocolate, but that’s about it. This just works.

I do a chili similar to the OPs recipe but I use guajillo and arbol chiles. The guajillo lends the classic chili powder like flavor and the arbols bring the heat.
Making a batch this weekend. Gonna use some guajillo chlies as well. The original recipe calls for 5-6 of the New Mexico ones. Do you cut back on these at all? If so, how many? How many of the guajillo ones do you add?

I do a chili similar to the OPs recipe but I use guajillo and arbol chiles. The guajillo lends the classic chili powder like flavor and the arbols bring the heat.
Making a batch this weekend. Gonna use some guajillo chlies as well. The original recipe calls for 5-6 of the New Mexico ones. Do you cut back on these at all? If so, how many? How many of the guajillo ones do you add?

For a full batch of Chili I use about 10 guajillos and 3 or 4 arbols. You can never have too many guajillos IMO.

For a full batch of Chili I use about 10 guajillos and 3 or 4 arbols. You can never have too many guajillos IMO.
Thanks. Not doing arbol for this batch, but going to incorporate the guajillos.

You can use whatever chilis you prefer the taste/heat of. The only ones I always keep in there are the anchos. They're pretty distinct.

Took first place in a chili contest at a local bar.

I added a couple of the guajillos chilis in place of a 2 of the new mexico chilis. I also browned up the chorizo first, then cooked the onions in 1/3 cup of the grease instead of olive oil. Made the chili much less greasy than the original way.

Congratulations!

And yes, browning the meat first and then removing the meat and only leaving as much of the fat as you want is for sure the best way to do it.

I do the same when using Andouille Sausage for gumbo. Gets a little browning on the meat which is a bonus too.

I do turkey chili which might be very boring to most of you but if you are in the mood and have limited ingredients, this one is easy and it's just me and Mrs most nights
I don't make more than a single batch at a time but we usually have enough for a day or two after

1 lb ground turkey breast
1 large sweet onion, guess you could use almost any kind
several garlic cloves diced up
-1 15 oz can of light kidney and 1 15 oz can of dark kidney beans...tonight we're just going dark
-1 large can of tomatoes, use just about any type you like, I prefer to cut the whole ones up that are peeled right out of the can

-3 to 4 tbsp of chili powder and about 1 tbsp or less of cayenne pepper, in different stages
And yes I use olive oil to start everything but I'm not sure how much I use. La Creuset 5 qt dutch oven...I cover the bottom but not excessive to start cooking the onions and garlic
I add the turkey and that's where I add the chili powder minus maybe a tbsp to add when the rest of the ingredients are put in. I also add the cayenne about this time while I brown turkey
The turkey doesn't really brown up, it just cooks but the seasoning will make it look pretty brown
-I wash my kidney beans so apparently that cuts down on gas, add those and the tomatoes after I brown up the meat and then toss in a little more chili powder and cayenne into the more liquid part of the chili, add some salt and then I get it to a boil and turn it down to about 1-simmer on the oven and I have been cooking it for about 2 hours, gonna try 3 tonight. is there a rhyme or reason for how long to cook chili?

I've heard some folks only cook it about 20-30 minutes and that seems extremely short of what i think it needs.

-I do add some more olive oil usually after I start browning the meat up with the onion and garlic, it usually needs it because turkey don't have much fat in it.
Also i tend to add in about a half can of water from the tomato can I use, it might not seem like it at first but eventually it gets so thick that you need some.

Last edited:
I'm on a couple of 'Soup' groups on FB, and someone posted this. I thought it was interesting and wanted to share here.

I’m not a big AI user but I’ve been having fun on ChatGPT with recipe tweaks. Here’s an example of what I asked and what it suggested.
My question: You are a professional chef and you have won chili contests around the world. Please take a look at this recipe and tell me what we could do to make it have that special extra taste
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
1 pound extra lean ground turkey or chicken (99%)
4 tablespoons chili powder* (I used McCormick chili powder - please read the notes section on this)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes or crushed tomatoes
1 1/4 cups chicken broth
2 (15 oz) cans dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 oz) can sweet corn, rinsed and drained
For topping: cheese, avocado, tortilla chips, cilantro, sour cream
ChatGPT suggestions:
Your chili recipe already sounds delicious! To give it that special extra taste, consider these suggestions:
1. **Roasting Spices and Vegetables**: Before adding them to the pot, lightly roast your spices, onion, and bell pepper. This enhances their flavors and adds a smoky depth.
2. **Meat Preparation**: Brown the ground turkey or chicken well to develop a richer flavor. Consider adding a bit of smoked paprika during the browning process.
3. **Tomato Paste**: Add a tablespoon of tomato paste with the onions and garlic. This will add a rich, concentrated tomato flavor.
4. **Use Fresh Herbs and Spices**: Replace some dried herbs with fresh ones, like oregano, and add them towards the end of cooking.
5. **Beer or Coffee**: Replace a portion of the chicken broth with a dark beer or a bit of strong brewed coffee. Both add a unique depth of flavor.
6. **Chocolate or Cocoa Powder**: Stir in a small amount of dark chocolate or a teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa powder. This adds a complex, earthy note.
7. **Acidic Component**: A splash of apple cider vinegar or lime juice added towards the end can brighten up the flavors.
8. **Varied Beans**: Consider using a mix of beans, like black beans or pinto beans, for variety in texture and taste.
9. **Simmering Time**: Let the chili simmer on low heat for a longer time, if possible. Slow cooking enhances the flavors.
10. **Garnishes**: Fresh garnishes like chopped cilantro, diced avocado, a dollop of sour cream, or a squeeze of lime can add freshness and contrast.
Experimenting with these tweaks can really elevate the flavors in your chili. Enjoy your cooking!
Kinda fun!!!

I don't care about what types of chilis you use or whether or not you use beans, but I will never understand how a chili is better with ground beef over shredded/cubed beef.
well, i'm really shoveling it in pretty quickly so the choking factor is lower with ground beef

Superbowl = chili for us, and this is the first year family and friends are letting me tweak my recipe so I'm finally going to try this one, but also incorporate some of my own additions.

- Chicken broth instead of beef broth. Unless it is homemade beef broth, chicken broth is generally much more flavorful than beef.
- My spice mix is expanded to include cloves, star anise, coriander, dark brown sugar, and cumin. For something like this i will also use whole spices and toast/grind myself.
- Some umami bombs because who doesn't like umami? This will be in the form of soy sauce and marmite.
- Depending how deep the flavors are, I may add some apple cider vinegar.
-

Superbowl = chili for us, and this is the first year family and friends are letting me tweak my recipe so I'm finally going to try this one, but also incorporate some of my own additions.

- Chicken broth instead of beef broth. Unless it is homemade beef broth, chicken broth is generally much more flavorful than beef.
- My spice mix is expanded to include cloves, star anise, coriander, dark brown sugar, and cumin. For something like this i will also use whole spices and toast/grind myself.
- Some umami bombs because who doesn't like umami? This will be in the form of soy sauce and marmite.
- Depending how deep the flavors are, I may add some apple cider vinegar.
-
Agree on chicken broth. I use it 90% of the time and rarely use beef unless it HAS to be beef.

Marmite is interesting. I've been using THIS (shiitake powder) lately for umami lately and really like it.

I'll also add a little molasses sometimes, it adds nice depth and just a touch of sweetness.

Also, does the OP recipe not sear the meat as a first step? That's odd. For slow cooked stuff like this, I feel like it should aways be seared before adding to the chili.

Users who are viewing this thread