What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Redskins safety Sean Taylor dies (1 Viewer)

Sharpstein has provided details in various interviews. He said Taylor and his fiancee were asleep with their 18-month-old daughter when they were awakened by noises in the house. Taylor reached for a machete or other form of knife he keeps nearby in case of emergency, Sharpstein said. He told CNN that Taylor then locked the door of the bedroom, but an intruder kicked the door in and fired twice, striking Taylor once in the upper leg.
This part of today's Washington Post article is making me rethink my previous position that this was a botched burglary. If it's true that ST locked the door, and then the killers went out of their way to kick it in and shoot him, that sounds premeditated to me. What an astounding tragedy. I hope they catch these bastards.

Roger Goodell's statement:

The entire NFL is deeply saddened by the death of Sean Taylor. We extend our heartfelt sympathy to Sean's family, friends, teammates, and the Redskins' organization. This is a terrible tragedy involving the loss of a young man who leaves behind many people struggling to understand it. Our office is staying in close contact with the Redskins to provide all appropriate support to the club and Sean's family. We also are working to determine the facts surrounding this tragic event. We will honor the memory of Sean Taylor at all games this weekend.

I had such a horrible/strange feeling when I woke up and heard that he died this morning.

We've become so desensitized to a lot of things these days, but hearing about someone dying senselessly at age 24 with a young family is one of those things that definetly makes you take stock of some things in life and be thankful for what you have.

RIP Sean... you were a great player and will be missed. :thumbup:

So somebody broke into that same house a week ago and left a knife on the bed? Seems like a pretty obvious warning shot to me, not an environment I'd choose for my baby to be sleeping in. Not bashing, RIP Sean, but damn - I don't get it. :lol:

Sharpstein has provided details in various interviews. He said Taylor and his fiancee were asleep with their 18-month-old daughter when they were awakened by noises in the house. Taylor reached for a machete or other form of knife he keeps nearby in case of emergency, Sharpstein said. He told CNN that Taylor then locked the door of the bedroom, but an intruder kicked the door in and fired twice, striking Taylor once in the upper leg.
This part of today's Washington Post article is making me rethink my previous position that this was a botched burglary. If it's true that ST locked the door, and then the killers went out of their way to kick it in and shoot him, that sounds premeditated to me. What an astounding tragedy. I hope they catch these bastards.
Yeah, certainly does not sound like a robbery.

The incident was apparently the second time in nine days that someone broke into Taylor’s house.According to a Miami-Dade Police report, an intruder broke through a front window Nov. 17, entered several rooms, rifled through drawers and a safe, and left a kitchen knife on a bed. No one else was in the house at the time, Taylor told the police.
It sounds like the first breakin was a search for something. Drawers and a safe rifled, and there was a report yesterday that an AC vent was damaged as well.So the second may have been another search for 'something'.

The incident was apparently the second time in nine days that someone broke into Taylor’s house.According to a Miami-Dade Police report, an intruder broke through a front window Nov. 17, entered several rooms, rifled through drawers and a safe, and left a kitchen knife on a bed. No one else was in the house at the time, Taylor told the police.
It sounds like the first breakin was a search for something. Drawers and a safe rifled, and there was a report yesterday that an AC vent was damaged as well.So the second may have been another search for 'something'.
I keep thinking the same thing. There was "something" they were wanting, hence making a couple of trips to the house.

Regardless of the circumstances or his past, this is obviously a tragic situation for his family and the Redskins. I'm sure thoughts and prayers are aplenty and mine are certainly included.

That being said, and I hope I am completely wrong in this, but why has nobody mentioned the possibility of this being a domestic dispute gone awry? How often do we hear about stories that start off as an intruder, burglar, home invasion, etc. -- only to have the facts come out later and see the wife, husband, girlfriend, etc. led away in cuffs?

I guess it doesn't change anything now either way. Let's just hope that justice is served now for the baby's sake if nothing else.

Makes me think of No Country For Old Men, where the protagonist hides all the money in an air vent and the psychotic hit man eventually finds it there. I doubt there's a connection but it's possible that something was hidden in the AC vent, or that the killers thought something was in there. But I can't understand why they would intentionally kick the door in and shoot him if they were just looking for valuables. If I'm a burglar and I discover that the homeowner is unexpectedly at home, I'm getting out of there as quickly as possible. It doesn't make sense. I really hope they catch these scum. I want to see their faces when they're caught and facing the death penalty or life in prison without parole.

Taylor's cousin

Taylor's cousin, Florida State University safety Anthony Leon, said Taylor was trying to shed some troublemaking friends he had grown up with. Leon, who said he spent his morning crying and praying in his dorm room, said Taylor had ``started to calm down.''

''He's been trying to stay away from bad company -- especially for his daughter's sake,'' Leon said. ``Sean wasn't a bad guy at all. He's got his personality on the football field and off it. All he was trying to do was protect his family. And they shot him.''

Makes me think of No Country For Old Men, where the protagonist hides all the money in an air vent and the psychotic hit man eventually finds it there. I doubt there's a connection but it's possible that something was hidden in the AC vent, or that the killers thought something was in there. But I can't understand why they would intentionally kick the door in and shoot him if they were just looking for valuables. If I'm a burglar and I discover that the homeowner is unexpectedly at home, I'm getting out of there as quickly as possible. It doesn't make sense. I really hope they catch these scum. I want to see their faces when they're caught and facing the death penalty or life in prison without parole.
Then again, if it was an intentional hit, why didn't they shoot him in the head, kill any witnesses, etc? Hitting the femoral artery is a thousand-to-one shot. I smell macho stupidity ... "Oh, there's someone home? Let me bust down the door and put a cap in his ### because I'm a brainless thug."

other people who knew Taylor

'It's strange,'' said Joel Rodriguez, who played with Taylor at UM for three seasons and last saw Taylor in February before the Pro Bowl. ``For being as visible and flamboyant a player as he is on the field, he is very reserved and soft-spoken off it. It's not what you'd expect from a guy with that type of talent and mean streak.

``He is very, very quiet and very much one of the guys who blended into the framework of the team. He never tried to dominate the locker room. He was friendly, a good teammate. He never missed practice, showed up on time, went to class.''
''I don't have a clue what happened,'' said Ortega, who packed his bags to go to New Orleans and hurried from his home in Delray Beach to stop at Jackson Memorial before he left. ``He was a great roommate and a great friend. He was respectful, no problems at all. We used to fish together, play video games, ride around and go out to eat. He's a quiet kid, never went around bragging.''
Ralph Ortega, Buck's father, played linebacker six years in the NFL, his last two with the Dolphins. His family had Taylor as a dinner guest often in years past.

''The last time I saw Sean was up in Washington, and he looked absolutely great,'' Ralph Ortega said. ``It was after a preseason game, and I've never seen a pro athlete better with kids.

``Right outside the stadium there's a little parking lot for players and coaches, and all the fans wait outside to try to meet them. Most players ignore the fans and stay in the middle of security. Not Sean. He had stopped to talk to a little girl.

'I could hear him asking her, `How are you doing in school?' Things like that. He was signing autographs for kids, talking with them.

``I've known Sean Taylor since he was 15 or 16 and I've seen him a lot over the years. I can tell you he has a great heart. He's not a thug.''
Richard Sharpstein, a Miami attorney who represented Taylor in a criminal case in which Taylor pleaded no contest and adjudication was withheld, said he also has known Taylor since his days at Gulliver.

''My two daughters were cheerleaders there,'' Sharpstein said. ``Sean was a mild-mannered, soft-spoken, polite, pleasant, wonderful kid. When parents were around and we'd be raising money through bake sales or whatever, Sean was always helpful. He was not what you'd think of as some egocentric athlete. I've represented some athletes with big heads. They think the world owes them everything. This is not Sean.''

Sharpstein said Taylor grew up near Perrine in a lower-middle-class area.

''He picked himself up by the bootstraps,'' he said, ``went to Gulliver and was a good student. I'm totally and thoroughly shocked.''

He sounds like a pretty nice guy who made a few bad decisions when he was young, just like many of us have done as young men and women. This tragedy is made worse by the fact that he had such a bad reputation, and was misunderstood and villified by the media. RIP Sean Taylor.

...That being said, and I hope I am completely wrong in this, but why has nobody mentioned the possibility of this being a domestic dispute gone awry? How often do we hear about stories that start off as an intruder, burglar, home invasion, etc. -- only to have the facts come out later and see the wife, husband, girlfriend, etc. led away in cuffs?...
It hasn't been mentioned because we don't need baseless speculation thrown out there when someone has lost their life. Is it a possibility that it could be domestic dispute gone awry? Of course it is a possibility.But there is no reason that I've heard of to think that is likely the case right now, so what positive purpose could it serve by bringing it up? If there is some evidence that comes up that makes it seem a LIKELY possibility, then it would stand to reason it would be discussed.Until then, engaging in baseless speculation about even worse scenarios is only going to add to the pain of those people who are already hurting. So why do it?

Most burglars believe the most valuable things are in the victim's bedroom. Most likely, that is where the expensive jewelry and important documents are usually at. I know this from too much A & E.

The most rational explanation to me, is that the same burglar came back assuming Taylor was with the team. When they went to go into the bedroom and Taylor was wielding a weapon, they shot and ran. Pure specualtion, but I highly doubt a deliberate hit.

I just want to offer my condolences to all Redskins fans. Not only for losing a great football player but because he was finally starting to put his life together and become a true team leader and better man. :thumbup:

So somebody broke into that same house a week ago and left a knife on the bed? Seems like a pretty obvious warning shot to me, not an environment I'd choose for my baby to be sleeping in. Not bashing, RIP Sean, but damn - I don't get it. :shock:
:thumbup: The circumstances of his death and the events preceding it leave a lot of questions.

So somebody broke into that same house a week ago and left a knife on the bed? Seems like a pretty obvious warning shot to me, not an environment I'd choose for my baby to be sleeping in. Not bashing, RIP Sean, but damn - I don't get it. :goodposting:
:rolleyes: The circumstances of his death and the events preceding it leave a lot of questions.
What is really sad is we will probably never know what happened.

Then again, if it was an intentional hit, why didn't they shoot him in the head, kill any witnesses, etc? Hitting the femoral artery is a thousand-to-one shot. I smell macho stupidity ... "Oh, there's someone home? Let me bust down the door and put a cap in his ### because I'm a brainless thug."
Maybe the killer was planning a cleaner hit and was surprised to see Taylor standing in the room with a machette instead of being in bed so the killer just fired off a couple of shots and bolted. I was originally in the camp of this being a botched robbery but as the story is coming that seems far-fetched.

So somebody broke into that same house a week ago and left a knife on the bed? Seems like a pretty obvious warning shot to me, not an environment I'd choose for my baby to be sleeping in. Not bashing, RIP Sean, but damn - I don't get it. ;)
:no: RIP Mr. Taylor, but I wonder if he didn't have cameras or why not hire some bodygaurds considering the circumstances.

Sean Taylor, you are a credit to the NFL and will always be. RIP.

May the path of your life inspire and touch others who may be in need. I know I will find you someday in the grandest stage of them all.

Until then...

It sucks that he was killed with an 18month old kid left behind. Most people don't think that getting shot in the leg = dead but this just shows how fragile human life really is. It only takes one unlucky incident to end it.

It's been hard to focus on much else these last several hours. It reminds me a lot of June 19, 1986, the day that Len Bias died.

The main difference is that then, the information came from an office radio, TV after work and the paper the next day. Now, I not only have my TV in the office, but I'm streaming Sportstalk 980 and am on this web site - as well as others. I think it helps to be able to commiserate, albeit with folks you don't know. And maybe it's appropriate, given that I never knew Sean.

The tragic similarity is that Bias, like Taylor, was a man among boys as far as athletic ability is concerned. And neither lived long enough to fulfill their enormous potential. Lenny has long left us, and yes, the pain has subsided -as it will with Taylor- but the way I am feeling today reminds me of that day 21 years ago.

LaCanfora's latest:

Two former of Sean's former Miami teammates - tight end Jeremy Shockey and receiver Sinorice Moss (brother of Taylor's good friend and Redskins teammate Santana Moss) - spoke about their loss today. Both play for the NY Giants.

Shockey said: "He was kind of like a wild child, like myself, but life changed for Sean after he had his baby girl. Fatherhood really changed him. He grew up and matured. That baby had transformed his life. Working out with him during the offseason, I witnessed a change. You could see it like night and day. I feel so bad for the family."

Moss said: "It's a tough time for me right now. Sean was really like a brother to me. We were classmates and teammates and UM and he was a guy that just loved football and loved being around his friends. I feel for his family. I know his dad real well, and I feel for his baby girl. He was so proud of his little girls, and it's just so sad that he's no longer here and won't be able to see her grow up. The whole UM family is hurting right now."

Also just got off the phone with former Redskins LB Lemar Marshall, who was here for Taylor's first four years until getting released in training camp and signing with the Bengals. Lemar said he went to bed like so many last night, praying that Sean did not suffer serious brain damage but hoping for the best. When he woke up this morning he had missed calls from his mother, and two former NFL teammates, Ike Reese and Clifton Brown. Immediately he knew why they had called. He caught the scroll on ESPN before calling them back and was crushed.

"He was really maturing," Marshall said. There was like almost a pleasantness about him now. He's a good friend and a good teammate and to know his ability on the football field, I think he was going to be the best ever by the time he finished, and that's what I wanted for him."

Lemar, who played safety in college, said he will go back and study Taylor's game film years from now, marveling at his ability to cover ground and punish opponents. "He'll always be one of my favorite players," Marshall said.

Still waiting on Joe Gibbs and/or Daniel Snyder press conference to begin. Latest word is now sometime between 4 and 5.

Also, got a cool email from Joe, pointing out how fans of other NFL teams are honoring Sean. Joe reports that Eages fans at PE.com have set up threads dedicated to Sean and he says Cowboyszone.com actually changed the colors on their site to burgundy and gold and that heartfelt messages from Cowboys fans have been overflowing.

That's pretty cool to hear.

I have a hard time believing this was anything other than a planned hit.

If the person/s in the Taylor house where there originally to commit a robbery, why kick down the bedroom door, shoot the homeowner and then flee.

If this had been a robbery, I could two possible scenarios that would have made a lot more sense.

1. When you realize the homeowner is home, flee immediately.

2. Incapacitate the homeowner/s and commit the robbery.

Cutting the phone lines, breaking into the house, realizing the homeowner is there and barricaded in the bedroom, kicking in the bedroom door, shooting at Taylor, then fleeing, just makes zero sense as a robbery scenario.

It's been hard to focus on much else these last several hours. It reminds me a lot of June 19, 1986, the day that Len Bias died.
I was only 10 then so I don't remember much, but I do remember it was a HUGE story in the DC area.

Cutting the phone lines, breaking into the house, realizing the homeowner is there and barricaded in the bedroom, kicking in the bedroom door, shooting at Taylor, then fleeing, just makes zero sense as a robbery scenario.
A couple more things I heard from a former cop and federal investigator on the radio:1) Home robbers don't tend to carry guns.2) When a criminal fires a gun, there's usually many more than two shots. They are usually very wild and erratic and fire off a ton of shots in their panic.

I remember reading a story a while back that the "Hollywood" burglar has really distorted the public's perception relative to the actual profile.

- Most don't carry weapons (like you said).

- Most burglars attempt to avoid confrontation, and are rarely equipped/prepared to handle it if it does occur.

- Most burglaries occur during the day when no one is home.

- Expensive areas are less often targets due to the increased risk.

The person that robs a home is a different beast than say the guy who walks into the 7-11 with a ski-mask and gun. I also remember reading that is is very rare for someone to be injured/killed during a home burglarly. Those are the stories that will make the news, while the other 99 out of 100 times, no one is even home

Players and coaches around the league talking about Sean Taylor

Pete Kendall

"The thing that stood out to me about Sean was after our first game here, the home opener against the Dolphins, we were in the player's parking lot afterwards and I have three young kids and my two boys are big football fans and they were really struck and impressed with Sean Taylor and to actually meet him. Sean actually spent some time [with them]. He didn't just sign a book and send them on their way, but talked to them. As a father that stood out to me. That made probably the biggest impact on me. "
Jason Campbell

"If you just look at him from the way that he's changed in the last year, it's just been outstanding to have the opportunity to spend time with him because he's just a special person.
Jeremy Shockey

"He was kind of a wild child, like myself, but life changed for Sean after he had his baby girl. Fatherhood really changed him. He grew up and matured. That baby (daughter Jackie) had transformed his life. Working out with him during the offseason, I witnessed a change. You could see it like night and day. I feel so bad for the family."

Gibbs and Snyder talking now.

21 patch on jersey and 21 will be on every helmet in the NFL.

Asked about whether they'll try to get next Thursday night's game delayed to Sunday or whether they've considered asking that this Sunday's game be moved, Snyder just said that he's only been back in DC for 1.5 hours and hasn't had a chance to think about any of that stuff.

Gibbs: God made him to play football...Sean felt like the football field is where he belonged...Always asked to do more, play WR, etc.

sorry if this is a repeat -- didn't get through 12 pages -- but dan snyder said he believes his number will be worn on the helmet of every team in the nfl.

Interesting note about the current PC.

The background isn't full of Redskins logos and Fed Ex logos. There's a black curtain behind Snyder and Gibbs.

Football question:

I asked before but maybe nobody knows, but what happens to a contract of a deceased player after the year? Does the signing bonus still count next year, whatever amount it may be? Is it like a retired player... how does that work as well? Does the contract simply disappear off the record books now?

Interesting note about the current PC.The background isn't full of Redskins logos and Fed Ex logos. There's a black curtain behind Snyder and Gibbs.
For a team very attuned to marketing considerations, that's a nice gesture. It'll be lost on most, but whatever. Classy.

Gibbs and Snyder talking now.

21 patch on jersey and 21 will be on every helmet in the NFL.

Asked about whether they'll try to get next Thursday night's game delayed to Sunday or whether they've considered asking that this Sunday's game be moved, Snyder just said that he's only been back in DC for 1.5 hours and hasn't had a chance to think about any of that stuff.

Gibbs: God made him to play football...Sean felt like the football field is where he belonged...Always asked to do more, play WR, etc.
Honest question.Was this done for Darrent Williams or Damian Nash?

Users who are viewing this thread