What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Board Games (1 Viewer)

I think the best time I ever had playing board games was playing Battleship. The game is mostly luck tho.

Smoo is spot on with his recommendations of Dust and Dominion. :banned:
:rant: Have you tried Chaos in the Old World yet? Man, that game hits me right where I want it to. It has everything I want in a game.Are you going to any cons this year? I'll probably have more free time to hit one, so let me know if you'll be attending any, I'll see if my schedule allows me to go as well.

Smoo is spot on with his recommendations of Dust and Dominion. :banned:
Also, while I do love Dominion, I've chosen to embrace Thunderstone as my game of choice in this genre. Purely for thematic reasons. I've always been a big D&D nerd at heart, so Thunderstone grabs my attention in a way Dominion never could.But Dominion is still the game I'd always recommend to new gamers.

I'll add yet another vote for Diplomacy. I'm sorry I missed the FFA games.I did use to love those Avalon Hill war games too. Tobruk, Starship Troopers, and Rise and Decline of the Third Reich were probably my favorites.
In case it hasn't already been mentioned, dipbounced.com

Wits and Wagers is a new board game that is a lot of fun. Combines gambling with trivia :tinfoilhat:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wits_and_wagers
I hadn't played board games past Stratego, and hadn't played any for probably 20 years. I got together with some friends from college recently, though, and they introduced me to a bunch of games. Wits and Wagers was a lot of fun. Carcassonne was also. Settlers of Cataan was also very good. There was another where you bid on properties, then got money back... I can't remember what it was called, but it was very interesting.I just played Carcassonne with my 9-year-old daughter for the first two times last night and today. We're having a lot of fun. My 6-year-old son is interested, but we'll see about his attention span.

http://games.asobrain.com/ is a neat site with a Carcassonne clone (Toulouse) and a Cataan clone (Settlers), plus some variants. It's free.

Smoo is spot on with his recommendations of Dust and Dominion. :(
:lmao: Have you tried Chaos in the Old World yet? Man, that game hits me right where I want it to. It has everything I want in a game.Are you going to any cons this year? I'll probably have more free time to hit one, so let me know if you'll be attending any, I'll see if my schedule allows me to go as well.
I traded for Chaos in the Old World about a month ago, but haven't had time to play it yet.I may hit up BGG.con this year, but I'm back to school now(sound familiar? hah) and am thinking of taking 18 credits in the fall which might preclude taking a week off for gaming.

Smoo is spot on with his recommendations of Dust and Dominion. :shrug:
:lmao: Have you tried Chaos in the Old World yet? Man, that game hits me right where I want it to. It has everything I want in a game.Are you going to any cons this year? I'll probably have more free time to hit one, so let me know if you'll be attending any, I'll see if my schedule allows me to go as well.
I traded for Chaos in the Old World about a month ago, but haven't had time to play it yet.I may hit up BGG.con this year, but I'm back to school now(sound familiar? hah) and am thinking of taking 18 credits in the fall which might preclude taking a week off for gaming.
holy :nerd:s batmanwtf is a con?

Wits and Wagers is a new board game that is a lot of fun. Combines gambling with trivia :hophead:

I hadn't played board games past Stratego, and hadn't played any for probably 20 years. I got together with some friends from college recently, though, and they introduced me to a bunch of games. Wits and Wagers was a lot of fun.
We got this in the last 6 months. I like it a lot. Gambling, trivia, and the games go pretty fast -- about 30 mins per game so you're not committing to hours and hours like some games (which isn't always bad, but it's also not always what you want.)

Also, this newish game Dixit is getting a lot of good reviews. I don't think it's for sale in the US yet. I ordered it from some limey seller on ebay and I'm still waiting for it a month later :hophead: -- but I am looking forward to it.

Man, you guys are killing me.

Everyone knows the best game ever is

YAHTZEE.*

(But I do love me some Backgammon, Chess, and that Polynesian game with shells that I can never remember the name of.)

* I understand that technically, there is no "board." Still. It's the game that 4 generations of my family have played together for decades.

I haven't really played games recently...due to lack of people to play with. However, I loved playing Triple Yahtzee, Risk, Pig-out (not a board game), Monopoly, Chess, Konane, and Seega. Probably others but, thats what I can think of now.

1. A.H.'s Advanced Civilization.

2. Shogun

3. Axis and Alllies 1st or second edition

4. Diplomacy*

5. Risk

Ad. Civ is a monster big game that takes a long time but is also pretty easy to learn.

In order to balance A&A players open auction the Germans for additional starting IPC that can be used immediately or kept. i.e I bid 15 ipc ( ineed an additional 15 ipc for me to take Germany and smoke your tommy ####) p2 bids 12, p3 bids 10, no other bids, p3 wins Germany and starts with 10 extra IPC that he can keep or immediately spend.

* Never actually played Dip. but have seen it played. I wish to learn it and play it.

Wits and Wagers is a new board game that is a lot of fun. Combines gambling with trivia :popcorn:

I hadn't played board games past Stratego, and hadn't played any for probably 20 years. I got together with some friends from college recently, though, and they introduced me to a bunch of games. Wits and Wagers was a lot of fun. Carcassonne was also. Settlers of Cataan was also very good. There was another where you bid on properties, then got money back... I can't remember what it was called, but it was very interesting.I just played Carcassonne with my 9-year-old daughter for the first two times last night and today. We're having a lot of fun. My 6-year-old son is interested, but we'll see about his attention span.

http://games.asobrain.com/ is a neat site with a Carcassonne clone (Toulouse) and a Cataan clone (Settlers), plus some variants. It's free.
Carcassone is available on XBOX Live. Played it for the first time over the holidays at a friend's house. Don't know how it stack up against the "real" game, but we had a great time, and not having to count up the scores ourselves was a plus.The one drawback I saw was for multiplayer on one XBox360, you had to have a separate controller for every player.

Been playing some Mr. Jack with my kid. Great strategy game and the most fun 2 player game I have played in quite a while. Really gets good with adult competition.

Settlers of Cataan is great. There is a good I-phone app for it that is a great time waster.

Carcassonne is also both a great game and a good I-phone game (my last name is Carcasson, so I have a particular affinity for that game).

I've heard great things about Puerto Rico, that will probably be the next one I buy.

Here is a link to a top 15 of all time with comments: Link

Sports:

Statis Pro Baseball

Title Bout

Statis Pro Football

Statis Pro Basketball

Non Sports

Risk

Axis and Allies

Stratego

Battleship

Monopoly

Role playing:

Dungeons and Dragons

Anyone have any experience with "SmallWorld"?

And outside of Risk, Stratego, chess, etc...what other BOARD games are good for two people specifically?

Figure 8 Monopoly is the BESTEST game ever. It is played with two Monopoly boards. The figure eight is at FREE parking (where the boards overlap). It's played the same as the first monopoly, but if you own both sets of say Boardwalk and Parkplace, you receive 3X the rent.

Ordered Skittle Bowl on ebay last week - should be here any day now. Not a board game but still family game blast from the past.

Pretty psyched about it.

Never played "Go", but it reminds me of a game I haven't seen mentioned in the thread yet: Blokus

2-4 players, 30 minutes a game, decent strategy involved, great at pool side as everything is plastic. :thumbup:

Pieces remind me of Tetris.

Sports:Statis Pro BaseballTitle BoutStatis Pro FootballStatis Pro BasketballNon SportsRiskAxis and AlliesStrategoBattleshipMonopolyRole playing:Dungeons and Dragons
WOW, Completely agree with these games. Especially love Stratego. Is Connect 4 considered a board game? If so, we played rthe crap out of that one too.

Users who are viewing this thread