What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

AFFL: FINANCIAL ISSUES AND CONCERNS (3 Viewers)

LATEST EMAIL:

Let us begin by saying thank you for the patience that you have shown throughout this ordeal.

The unfortunate events that have darkened the name of the AFFL have proved too much to overcome. When we started this venture back in March we envisioned a resurrection of the AFFL name. We wanted to come in, make things right, and then move forward. We knew that to keep the AFFL alive would mean paying out all the 2007 prizes as well as pre-securing 2008 prizes. We wanted to prove to the AFFL customers, and the fantasy community, that we would not make the same mistakes that previous ownership did. We wanted to prove to them that we were guys that could be trusted. Unfortunately, mostly due to timing and the economy, we were unable to raise the substantial amount of money it would require to do so. So now what?

There are a lot of people out there that love to play fantasy football and the AFFL provided a great place to do it. In the past few months we have spoken with a lot of customers and have had positive feedback about the structure of the contest. To date, the AFFL has reached almost $60,000 in signups for the upcoming season, all without a resolution to the 2007 problems being announced. People want to play.

We love fantasy football just like you guys. We've been playing for a long time and have wanted to start a contest for a while. We've put a lot of time and money into this and do not want to give up. We're out of ideas, and out of ways to cut costs. This is what we have left.

We are no longer going to try to fix someone else's mistakes and problems. We also do not want to have to pay for someone else's mistakes and problems. We are upfront and honest guys that want to put a great contest out there for the fantasy football community. Therefore, we’re going to take the only option left for us at this time. We are going to start a new contest. We will use the same AFFL software and website, and change the name of the contest in the future. The contest will be run in the exact same fashion as the AFFL. All previously posted prizes and rules will not change. As 2007 prize winners ourselves, we really wanted to make things right and payout 2007 winners. As we stated earlier, we are sad to say that with only a few weeks left until the season starts that’s going to be impossible. We are offering the following three choices for 2007 prize winners:

1. We will be honoring any 2007 AFFL prize credits that you want to roll over. Of the prize winners that we have spoken to, almost 90% were willing to roll over. If you want to put this debacle behind you, move on, and just play fantasy football again, then roll over and play in the same contest you won in last year. We are honest guys and will make timely payouts. Roll over amounts, up to $10,000, will never expire and will be able to be used over multiple years. We will personally contact prizes winners over $10,000 and speak to them personally about their options.

If you choose this option, you will have to agree to absolve International Fantasy Sports and the AFFL of any 2007 prize liability. If you decline this option, please note that Chicago Fantasy Sports will not be assuming any liability for 2007 prize payouts from International Fantasy Sports.

2. Take your chances in court, although, this option will be long and drawn out, and as we understand it, previous ownership has no funds if the lawsuit succeeds. We have also been told that IFS is filing bankruptcy. With option 1 at least you are guaranteed to get something for what is owed to you.

3. Choose not to play with us on principle. Choose not to get involved in a drawn out lawsuit. Just chalk it up to a loss and do nothing. Again, with option 1, at least you are playing fantasy football.

Please follow this link to accept or decline option 1. If you accept, your credits will be available immediately. www.affl.com/prizes

If, prior to February, you had elected to take credit for you prize winnings, that credit is still active. However, you will still need to accept option 1. If that gives you additional credit, your original discount code will be updated.

We hope that you will choose to play with us. Although we cannot prove ourselves to you in advance, as we had hoped, we will certainly do so in the future.

We hope to have the site up and running at 100% in the next few days. Because we never really considered this option until the last few days, there are some things that will need a little time to happen. We will need to have prize winnings placed in your respective accounts soon. Once they are in your accounts, you can choose to use them this year or in future years.

We have also decided to cancel the platinum league for this year only. Although we are reluctant to do so, there is just not enough time to get enough participants in order to make the platinum league competitive. For our platinum players, please consider our gold contest, it costs only $600 to enter, $750 less than the platinum contest and the grand prize is only $15,000 less.

Also, due to time constraints, drafts on August 16th and 17th will be cancelled.

Emails containing further information will be sent out in the future. We know there may be some of you that are unhappy with this resolution and we want you to know that we are as well. We certainly did not envision this when we started, but as I said earlier, this is the only feasible option we have left.

Wade J. Golab 773-908-0246

Robert J. Smolarczyk 773-842-5954
Holy crap. i hadn't even heard of this fiasco since this thread is buried in the looking for leagues forum (?!?!??!?!?) and was just checking in to see what dynasty offers were available...but having spent an hour reading through the whole thing i'm absolutely SHOCKED at how Neil has gotten away with this - or more frankly: how winners LET him get away with this! this latest email is glaring proof that all this new investor BS is precisely that...BULL####! those two options are so blatantly engineered to try and deflect any responsibility or consequences from the thief i can't believe anyone would fall for it. This is just incredible. and moreso that it was buried in this cobwebbed corner of the forums.

I've been a commish since '97 and people often ask me about the big money leagues online. I'm definitely spreading the word to avoid these guys like the plague. Thanks to all of you that keep this thread alive - I just found it today.

Holy crap. i hadn't even heard of this fiasco since this thread is buried in the looking for leagues forum (?!?!??!?!?) and was just checking in to see what dynasty offers were available...but having spent an hour reading through the whole thing i'm absolutely SHOCKED at how Neil has gotten away with this - or more frankly: how winners LET him get away with this! this latest email is glaring proof that all this new investor BS is precisely that...BULL####! those two options are so blatantly engineered to try and deflect any responsibility or consequences from the thief i can't believe anyone would fall for it. This is just incredible. and moreso that it was buried in this cobwebbed corner of the forums.
It's hard to believe that no one has taken those thieves court over this. I know that if I was owed thousands of dollars I would have already contacted an attorney. Since when did it become acceptable to steal from people, then come back and ask for a kiss and some more money? Maybe Neil is no longer running the show, but Jesus people, stay away from that gig. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Niel was still somehow involved, and the new inivestor crap is a cover for some more illegal activity to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
the curiosity is killing me-did anyone take these guys to court?How they hoodwinked(and by they I mean Neil) guys into absolving them of past financial responsibility by giving them "credits" is criminal.Not to mention they are still in business!!!

It is obvious that Neil is "the new owner". He has successfully duped people out of thousands of dollars in the past, and has now pulled another trick out of his sleeve.

Anybody that signs up, knowing about Neil, should have their head checked.

I appreciate all the folks that sent the e-mails, and to those that keep beating the drum of lawsuit. Please just stop, clearly you don't understand whats involved.

I wanted to "go after" Neil, but after discussing it with THREE different VERY accomplished attorneys I was told basically:

"you can't get blood from a stone"

We could: Sue and win, Neil could say "I dont have the money"-then agree to pay us over his lifetime. Big deal, More money lost to pay lawyers.

We could: Band together; create a class action and win! Then all get exactly what we would get above.

We could: Sue and win AND invite regulation from outside sources into the FF business. Sorry, I aont doing that.

Bottom line is thi sucked, and Im owed $16K, but I'm taking the credits available to me and giving Wade and his partner a shot.

Because that's the only thing that involvess me just playing FF and seeing if this new league is legit.

There were a few people I discussed this with that e-mail, it pains me. But I cant see any other way to possibly get some money.

The one thing I think is totally lost here is what is the FSTA and how do they help/advocate? Neil and the AFFL were a part of it. That's a whole additional can of worms, I again wont open.

I appreciate all the folks that sent the e-mails, and to those that keep beating the drum of lawsuit. Please just stop, clearly you don't understand whats involved.I wanted to "go after" Neil, but after discussing it with THREE different VERY accomplished attorneys I was told basically:"you can't get blood from a stone"We could: Sue and win, Neil could say "I dont have the money"-then agree to pay us over his lifetime. Big deal, More money lost to pay lawyers.We could: Band together; create a class action and win! Then all get exactly what we would get above.We could: Sue and win AND invite regulation from outside sources into the FF business. Sorry, I aont doing that.Bottom line is thi sucked, and Im owed $16K, but I'm taking the credits available to me and giving Wade and his partner a shot.Because that's the only thing that involvess me just playing FF and seeing if this new league is legit.There were a few people I discussed this with that e-mail, it pains me. But I cant see any other way to possibly get some money.The one thing I think is totally lost here is what is the FSTA and how do they help/advocate? Neil and the AFFL were a part of it. That's a whole additional can of worms, I again wont open.
So, just want to clarify.... Guy walks off with 500,000.....and you guys all let him???? He pockets half-a mill, plays everyone up and dangles multiple carrots...... :popcorn: I have a great idea. Lets allow this guy do it to more people AGAIN!!!!

I appreciate all the folks that sent the e-mails, and to those that keep beating the drum of lawsuit. Please just stop, clearly you don't understand whats involved.I wanted to "go after" Neil, but after discussing it with THREE different VERY accomplished attorneys I was told basically:"you can't get blood from a stone"We could: Sue and win, Neil could say "I dont have the money"-then agree to pay us over his lifetime. Big deal, More money lost to pay lawyers.We could: Band together; create a class action and win! Then all get exactly what we would get above.We could: Sue and win AND invite regulation from outside sources into the FF business. Sorry, I aont doing that.Bottom line is thi sucked, and Im owed $16K, but I'm taking the credits available to me and giving Wade and his partner a shot.Because that's the only thing that involvess me just playing FF and seeing if this new league is legit.There were a few people I discussed this with that e-mail, it pains me. But I cant see any other way to possibly get some money.The one thing I think is totally lost here is what is the FSTA and how do they help/advocate? Neil and the AFFL were a part of it. That's a whole additional can of worms, I again wont open.
But you have no interest in pursuing criminal charges which you CAN DO so he doesn't continue his scam?Awful man.

This doesn't sound right. You're willing to let this guy walk because you would have to pay lawyers? On top of that, you're going to play in the league again ( I know, it's with credits). My question is are you going to be rooting for your team(s) to win, so you can get screwed out of the money again, or to lose, so you feel you are even? If I was owed a substantial amount of money, I'm sorry, but I would not "band together" with you. I would get my own lawyer, and not listen to one more word you said, because you are either a) in on the scam, or b)been paid off to shut up the big winners. If this is incorrect, sorry, but it does look that way to me, and if anyone wants to rip me one for saying so, oh well, but the above quoted post sounds like bs.

Question for the guys begging those to pursue legal action. How much legals fees are you willing to pay to help these guys pursue charges against Neil?

Question for the guys begging those to pursue legal action. How much legals fees are you willing to pay to help these guys pursue charges against Neil?
It costs nothing in legal fees to pursue neil in a criminal action. To make sure he is held accountable criminally. A few phone calls and letters to a few places that have already been posted here is all it takes. That's why its so aggravating to watch. Suing neil for damages and helping ensure he is held accountable on a criminal basis are two very different things.The worst part is how the guy string everyone along here for months, then when things don't work out as he stated they would, he doesn't even pay the respect to those he completely bamboozled and stole from by posting any longer.I have no stakes in this but I will volunteer my time and make 5 phone calls a week and write one letter a week to the authorities to pursue Neil. Would any people who participated in the AFFL please PM me any info they have regarding the AFFL. Include anything regarding where AFFL is located, any info you have on Neil personally, etc. I will get the ball rolling here and post updates in the thread here.

It costs nothing in legal fees to pursue neil in a criminal action. To make sure he is held accountable criminally. A few phone calls and letters to a few places that have already been posted here is all it takes. That's why its so aggravating to watch. Suing neil for damages and helping ensure he is held accountable on a criminal basis are two very different things.The worst part is how the guy string everyone along here for months, then when things don't work out as he stated they would, he doesn't even pay the respect to those he completely bamboozled and stole from by posting any longer.I have no stakes in this but I will volunteer my time and make 5 phone calls a week and write one letter a week to the authorities to pursue Neil. Would any people who participated in the AFFL please PM me any info they have regarding the AFFL. Include anything regarding where AFFL is located, any info you have on Neil personally, etc. I will get the ball rolling here and post updates in the thread here.
Zorro is back....... :rolleyes:

HA! HA! You got oVVned. Not once, but twice.Ran into Neil the other day. He bought me a cold one (well technically you bought me the cold one) and we toasted your great 2007 season.

Zorro is back....... :confused:
Honestly guy, if you want to be a condescending toolbag do it elsewhere, you don't need to be in this thread so just stay out.It'll take 20 minutes of my time a week to help out the collective fantasy football community and I'm happy to do it. I'm not here to save the day. I actually have a brain and can very easily figure out the avenues to take to ensure Neil is held accountable on a criminal level. I'm going to lob a few calls in and at least get answers. That's it. If you don't like it or have nothing to contribute, don't waste your time posting here.

Zorro is back....... :shrug:
Honestly guy, if you want to be a condescending toolbag do it elsewhere, you don't need to be in this thread so just stay out.It'll take 20 minutes of my time a week to help out the collective fantasy football community and I'm happy to do it. I'm not here to save the day. I actually have a brain and can very easily figure out the avenues to take to ensure Neil is held accountable on a criminal level. I'm going to lob a few calls in and at least get answers. That's it. If you don't like it or have nothing to contribute, don't waste your time posting here.
Like I said....Zorro is back.... :rolleyes: and your reaction with name calling also proves that not only you are Zorro but you are also Forrest Gump....

All joking aside though, I agree that it's insane IMO to not do anything when you are owed thousands of dollars. I'm not owed anything but if I was, I would probably not do anything for few hundreds but for $16k like that guy stated above, well...I'll probably try to at least press criminal charges against the guy.

Stealing money over the internet is a criminal act by the way so although you might not get a dime back because Neil has no $$$$, at least, make him accountable for his actions by pressing criminal charges.

The Ghost of Common said:
Zorro is back....... :lol:
Just to be clear. You are condescending, and wrong. It wont take 20 minutes and I never said you couldnt hold him accountable or "win".What I said is the end result is nothing. No money, and that's about all I was in it for. Win some money. Bass N Brew-not sure owned is still a "cool" term...thanks for the support and being a true tool.Here are the legal "wins"1.You win, he says "Im bankcrupt and cannot pay judge"2.You win and he goes to jail. Great, but no one gets paid.3.You win and he says "I'll pay $1 per winner per year for the rest of my life judge"4.You win and the judge says"He has no money, we'll garnish his wages and each winner will get .50 per year for the rest of their lives"5.Class action lawsuit and we win! See above (and now every person in the event is due their money back, which actually means no one "wins" money, just a return of cost)Stop me when I get to the good part, this is all wrong. Very wrong, and I'll say again. Im pissed.But other than try to win again, with Wade who seems to really be trying to overcome this. I have no option that makes sense. And Im not waisting time for the sake of being "right".Its a buyer beware market, and this was the ultimate example. I'd still like to know what role the FSTA has, if it's just an association or they do any due diligence on the folks in it. Also would say the positive of this is I started the FFPC because of it and we were the first to place the money in attorney escrow. I believe that will eventually become the standard of any high stakes leagues.I hope I win the Gold event, seriously. I expect them to pay, if they don't. See above, it's the cheapest way to potentially get some money back.ETA: here are the contact numbers: But the bottom line is you would need to go to your local police department to actually file a complaint. They then pass it to the Michigan State Police, they would then investigate. You then have to hire an attorney.Michigan State Police: 517-336-3437Consumer Protection:517-373-1140Criminal Division:517-241-6565

Last edited by a moderator:
The Ghost of Common said:
Zorro is back....... :rolleyes:
Here are the legal "wins"1.You win, he says "Im bankcrupt and cannot pay judge"2.You win and he goes to jail. Great, but no one gets paid.3.You win and he says "I'll pay $1 per winner per year for the rest of my life judge"4.You win and the judge says"He has no money, we'll garnish his wages and each winner will get .50 per year for the rest of their lives"5.Class action lawsuit and we win! See above (and now every person in the event is due their money back, which actually means no one "wins" money, just a return of cost)
1. I haven't done bankruptcy research for a couple of years, but I believe a civil judgment is not a dischargeable debt under the code. It is pecuniary in nature.2. In a criminal action, the state's attorney can seek restitution for the victims. I see this all the time in larceny 1st cases. Again, not a dischargeable debt. Also, there are no legal fees in criminal cases. Neil can be held accountable to ensure this doesn't happen again. With the amount of money he stole, he is also looking at some pretty good jail time.3. No idea where you are getting that from. Doesn't work that way, and I hope a lawyer didn't tell you that.4. Haven't heard a judge say that. There are a ton of ways to get money, wage executions, bank executions, liens . . . etc.5. I will just add some civil action points. Most attorneys will take this on a contingency basis. You win they get 1/3.Last, I just want to say it makes my blood boil thinking about what Neil did to you, and everyone else who was owed money. I hope you get every cent back, and Neil is held accountable for his deplorable actions.

1.You win, he says "Im bankcrupt and cannot pay judge"2.You win and he goes to jail. Great, but no one gets paid.3.You win and he says "I'll pay $1 per winner per year for the rest of my life judge"4.You win and the judge says"He has no money, we'll garnish his wages and each winner will get .50 per year for the rest of their lives"5.Class action lawsuit and we win! See above (and now every person in the event is due their money back, which actually means no one "wins" money, just a return of cost)Stop me when I get to the good part, this is all wrong. Very wrong, and I'll say again. Im pissed.But other than try to win again, with Wade who seems to really be trying to overcome this. I have no option that makes sense. And Im not waisting time for the sake of being "right".Its a buyer beware market, and this was the ultimate example. I'd still like to know what role the FSTA has, if it's just an association or they do any due diligence on the folks in it. Also would say the positive of this is I started the FFPC because of it and we were the first to place the money in attorney escrow. I believe that will eventually become the standard of any high stakes leagues.I hope I win the Gold event, seriously. I expect them to pay, if they don't. See above, it's the cheapest way to potentially get some money back.ETA: here are the contact numbers: But the bottom line is you would need to go to your local police department to actually file a complaint. They then pass it to the Michigan State Police, they would then investigate. You then have to hire an attorney.Michigan State Police: 517-336-3437Consumer Protection:517-373-1140Criminal Division:517-241-6565
6. Let a criminal get off scot-free. (hope you are proud, and when he opens FFSuckers . com in a few years you are the first to sign up! :goodposting:

Zorro is back....... :shrug:
Here are the legal "wins"1.You win, he says "Im bankcrupt and cannot pay judge"2.You win and he goes to jail. Great, but no one gets paid.3.You win and he says "I'll pay $1 per winner per year for the rest of my life judge"4.You win and the judge says"He has no money, we'll garnish his wages and each winner will get .50 per year for the rest of their lives"5.Class action lawsuit and we win! See above (and now every person in the event is due their money back, which actually means no one "wins" money, just a return of cost)
1. I haven't done bankruptcy research for a couple of years, but I believe a civil judgment is not a dischargeable debt under the code. It is pecuniary in nature.2. In a criminal action, the state's attorney can seek restitution for the victims. I see this all the time in larceny 1st cases. Again, not a dischargeable debt. Also, there are no legal fees in criminal cases. Neil can be held accountable to ensure this doesn't happen again. With the amount of money he stole, he is also looking at some pretty good jail time.3. No idea where you are getting that from. Doesn't work that way, and I hope a lawyer didn't tell you that.4. Haven't heard a judge say that. There are a ton of ways to get money, wage executions, bank executions, liens . . . etc.5. I will just add some civil action points. Most attorneys will take this on a contingency basis. You win they get 1/3.Last, I just want to say it makes my blood boil thinking about what Neil did to you, and everyone else who was owed money. I hope you get every cent back, and Neil is held accountable for his deplorable actions.
Balco, you are 100% correct. But thats the ultimate rub.We would get 1/3 of $00000We all understnd what that equals. Non dischargeable etc means nothing if he has no money to pay.I decided to take the credits I would rather play FF then worry about lawsuits.

It costs nothing in legal fees to pursue neil in a criminal action. To make sure he is held accountable criminally. A few phone calls and letters to a few places that have already been posted here is all it takes. That's why its so aggravating to watch. Suing neil for damages and helping ensure he is held accountable on a criminal basis are two very different things.The worst part is how the guy string everyone along here for months, then when things don't work out as he stated they would, he doesn't even pay the respect to those he completely bamboozled and stole from by posting any longer.

I have no stakes in this but I will volunteer my time and make 5 phone calls a week and write one letter a week to the authorities to pursue Neil. Would any people who participated in the AFFL please PM me any info they have regarding the AFFL. Include anything regarding where AFFL is located, any info you have on Neil personally, etc. I will get the ball rolling here and post updates in the thread here.
Zorro is back....... :unsure:
Just to be clear. You are condescending, and wrong. It wont take 20 minutes and I never said you couldnt hold him accountable or "win".What I said is the end result is nothing. No money, and that's about all I was in it for. Win some money.

Bass N Brew-not sure owned is still a "cool" term...thanks for the support and being a true tool.

Here are the legal "wins"

1.You win, he says "Im bankcrupt and cannot pay judge"

2.You win and he goes to jail. Great, but no one gets paid.

3.You win and he says "I'll pay $1 per winner per year for the rest of my life judge"

4.You win and the judge says"He has no money, we'll garnish his wages and each winner will get .50 per year for the rest of their lives"

5.Class action lawsuit and we win! See above (and now every person in the event is due their money back, which actually means no one "wins" money, just a return of cost)

Stop me when I get to the good part, this is all wrong. Very wrong, and I'll say again. Im pissed.

But other than try to win again, with Wade who seems to really be trying to overcome this. I have no option that makes sense. And Im not waisting time for the sake of being "right".

Its a buyer beware market, and this was the ultimate example. I'd still like to know what role the FSTA has, if it's just an association or they do any due diligence on the folks in it. Also would say the positive of this is I started the FFPC because of it and we were the first to place the money in attorney escrow. I believe that will eventually become the standard of any high stakes leagues.

I hope I win the Gold event, seriously. I expect them to pay, if they don't. See above, it's the cheapest way to potentially get some money back.

ETA: here are the contact numbers: But the bottom line is you would need to go to your local police department to actually file a complaint. They then pass it to the Michigan State Police, they would then investigate. You then have to hire an attorney.

Michigan State Police: 517-336-3437

Consumer Protection:517-373-1140

Criminal Division:517-241-6565
Don't be so aloof man. That's now way to go through life.

Edited to accurately portray what I understand the situation to be. They are not reneging. They are delaying. Hoping for the best here for them.J
Thats just wrong.They are not paying. True.They are not paying in accordance to their own guidelines. True.They still hope to pay in the future by getting someone else to foot the bill. True.Until they can fix it, and currently its broken, to call it a delay is a misrepresentation of the truth. The original title was much more accurate.J, don't become to "PC". People come here for some of the best FF info around, including the status of FF organizations - good or bad.
:thumbdown:

I've read a lot of this thread and WOW....

The word FRAUD is the first thing that comes to mind.

If I were owed 7 or 8 hundred bucks from these guys, you can bet your bottom dollar I would find whomever was responsible for screwing me out of the money and personally let them know how I felt.

Good luck to the people that were duped....Hope you get your money or at least the ability to thank the jerk(s) personally that STOLE your money.

DISGUSTING to say the least.

I was the OP of this thread....when the title was correct....and decided to play my $600 winnings from last year in this years contest. They are now running a "one and done" type game, where you draft a team for only the one week, you just draft your starting lineup, play against the other 11 teams in the league for the one week. I won the first "one and done" this past weekend ($50 entry, won $370). I thought it would be interesting to see if i got paid, then everyone would surely know where this all stands.

Today is Wednesday, i havent gotten any news, email, or other contact as to when i might get a check. Will keep you posted. Anyone considering playing in this weeks "one and done" might want to wait and see what happens.

I was the OP of this thread....when the title was correct....and decided to play my $600 winnings from last year in this years contest. They are now running a "one and done" type game, where you draft a team for only the one week, you just draft your starting lineup, play against the other 11 teams in the league for the one week. I won the first "one and done" this past weekend ($50 entry, won $370). I thought it would be interesting to see if i got paid, then everyone would surely know where this all stands.Today is Wednesday, i havent gotten any news, email, or other contact as to when i might get a check. Will keep you posted. Anyone considering playing in this weeks "one and done" might want to wait and see what happens.
You weren't supposed to win. Please roll those winnings over again.yours truly....Neil

I was the OP of this thread....when the title was correct....and decided to play my $600 winnings from last year in this years contest. They are now running a "one and done" type game, where you draft a team for only the one week, you just draft your starting lineup, play against the other 11 teams in the league for the one week. I won the first "one and done" this past weekend ($50 entry, won $370). I thought it would be interesting to see if i got paid, then everyone would surely know where this all stands.Today is Wednesday, i havent gotten any news, email, or other contact as to when i might get a check. Will keep you posted. Anyone considering playing in this weeks "one and done" might want to wait and see what happens.
Do you ever get the feeling that Neil is laughing at you?

update...to be fair....i sent them an email as to when we could expect to get paid, they responded that one and done winners get paid at the end of the month.....i wrote back and said that im sure they would understand, then, if i didnt play any more one and dones until i was paid, and that by the way i had posted on the footballguys message board and they might want to see the 2 responses that i had already gotten.....delaying payment was only going to increase the already high level of cynicism. They wrote back and said a check would be mailed this Saturday morning.....we'll see. Obviously i did not enter this weeks one and done

update...to be fair....i sent them an email as to when we could expect to get paid, they responded that one and done winners get paid at the end of the month.....i wrote back and said that im sure they would understand, then, if i didnt play any more one and dones until i was paid, and that by the way i had posted on the footballguys message board and they might want to see the 2 responses that i had already gotten.....delaying payment was only going to increase the already high level of cynicism. They wrote back and said a check would be mailed this Saturday morning.....we'll see. Obviously i did not enter this weeks one and done
Fingers crossed for you....

:shocked:You mean these jokers are running a 2008 contest???!?!?

That's nothing compared to people that keep sending them money

That's nothing compared to people that keep sending them money
:thumbup: True. I took it as above he used the $600 (he never received) as credits to play this year, but perhaps I got this thread confused with the other scam that has a thread in which people never got paid.

Considering some of the other info that was swept under the rug in this thread, I don't think that charlatan at AFFL is concerned with you threatening to post stuff at a buddy's forum.

phthalatemagic said:
Considering some of the other info that was swept under the rug in this thread, I don't think that charlatan at AFFL is concerned with you threatening to post stuff at a buddy's forum.
received check today, we'll see if it clears!

update?

Does anyone know where one would need to file an action against the AFFL? Does it have to be from the state in which the company is incorporated or can an action be filed in the state from which the plaintiff played?

update?
check did clear, and the new owners seem diligent and concerned. but again, to be fair, it was only $370. The real test will be to see whether the grand prize winners get theirs after this season is over. I did use my $600 winnings as credit to play this year. Being a lawyer myself, i know the time. expense, and aggravation to pursue legal action civilly was a poor choice in comparison to basically wagering the $600 with new owners. So i already have some of it back, and am in good shape to make the championship round in the silver and gold contests. On the other hand, if i was a major winner from last year i dont think i would have been so gracious.In response to the last question, since Neil did business in the state where you are located, im sure you'd be able to sue him where you live, though technically would depend on your own state's view of long arm jurisdiction. I seriously think that a better approach is law enforcement where Neil is located, or the state attorney generals office that deals with consumer fraud. Once i decided to "play" my $600, i basically lost my ability to bring legal action.

update?
check did clear, and the new owners seem diligent and concerned. but again, to be fair, it was only $370. The real test will be to see whether the grand prize winners get theirs after this season is over. I did use my $600 winnings as credit to play this year. Being a lawyer myself, i know the time. expense, and aggravation to pursue legal action civilly was a poor choice in comparison to basically wagering the $600 with new owners. So i already have some of it back, and am in good shape to make the championship round in the silver and gold contests. On the other hand, if i was a major winner from last year i dont think i would have been so gracious.In response to the last question, since Neil did business in the state where you are located, im sure you'd be able to sue him where you live, though technically would depend on your own state's view of long arm jurisdiction. I seriously think that a better approach is law enforcement where Neil is located, or the state attorney generals office that deals with consumer fraud. Once i decided to "play" my $600, i basically lost my ability to bring legal action.
:bs:Did you say this company is under new ownership?

update?
:bye:Did you say this company is under new ownership?
Yes, if you believe what they say in print and over the phone. If they are just an extension of Neil, the old owner, then we have a real "situation"

update?
:goodposting: Did you say this company is under new ownership?
Yes, if you believe what they say in print and over the phone. If they are just an extension of Neil, the old owner, then we have a real "situation"
Are they running a mid season contest? And did they ask that you pay for it with your winnings this month?

update?
:pickle: Did you say this company is under new ownership?
Are they running a mid season contest? And did they ask that you pay for it with your winnings this month?
no, they are running a weekly contest...they sent the prize check right away but it took a little prodding.

I am no lawyer, but this is a bunch of bull#### right here. It does not seem legal to buy a company, and just assume the assets, but none of the liability. I know that one can purchase assets from companies, but they are operating under the same name, using the same software, website, etc. This would be like a company buying AIG and deciding they are going to keep taking payments on policies, but not paying out claims since "they did not write the policy themselves, so they shouldn't be responsible." There is no way that this Neil guy isn't pulling strings. I'm curious if any money changed hands. If so, Neil would presumably have some $$. I doubt it though, same shady scam with a different face to it.

I agree it isn't worth pursuing in civil court, but there is absolutely criminal acitivity.
After speaking with Wade and Robert (owners of Chicago Fantasy Sports) and receiving their emails, my understanding of the situation is that they are leasing the software from the previous owner and using the AFFL name this year in anticipation of changing the contest to "Chicago Fantasy Sports" in 2009

I have no horse in this game. It seems strange to me that a company that is "leasing the software" would require "If you choose this option, you will have to agree to absolve International Fantasy Sports and the AFFL of any 2007 prize liability."

If they are not one in the same, why would a new company ever agree to offer this?

I fear the wool has been pulled over a lot of eyes.

Winston Wolfe said:
I have no horse in this game. It seems strange to me that a company that is "leasing the software" would require "If you choose this option, you will have to agree to absolve International Fantasy Sports and the AFFL of any 2007 prize liability."

If they are not one in the same, why would a new company ever agree to offer this?

I fear the wool has been pulled over a lot of eyes.
According to the new owners that was the cost of lease; in other words, the new owners gave prospective fantasy football contestants the option of using their 2007 "winnings" as entry fees for the new 2008 contest... and in exercising that option such contestants agreed to indemnify the previous owner... that agreement (indemnification) was the price of leasing the software

LATEST EMAIL: Let us begin by saying thank you for the patience that you have shown throughout this ordeal. The unfortunate events that have darkened the name of the AFFL have proved too much to overcome. When we started this venture back in March we envisioned a resurrection of the AFFL name. We wanted to come in, make things right, and then move forward. We knew that to keep the AFFL alive would mean paying out all the 2007 prizes as well as pre-securing 2008 prizes. We wanted to prove to the AFFL customers, and the fantasy community, that we would not make the same mistakes that previous ownership did. We wanted to prove to them that we were guys that could be trusted. Unfortunately, mostly due to timing and the economy, we were unable to raise the substantial amount of money it would require to do so. So now what? There are a lot of people out there that love to play fantasy football and the AFFL provided a great place to do it. In the past few months we have spoken with a lot of customers and have had positive feedback about the structure of the contest. To date, the AFFL has reached almost $60,000 in signups for the upcoming season, all without a resolution to the 2007 problems being announced. People want to play. We love fantasy football just like you guys. We've been playing for a long time and have wanted to start a contest for a while. We've put a lot of time and money into this and do not want to give up. We're out of ideas, and out of ways to cut costs. This is what we have left. We are no longer going to try to fix someone else's mistakes and problems. We also do not want to have to pay for someone else's mistakes and problems. We are upfront and honest guys that want to put a great contest out there for the fantasy football community. Therefore, we’re going to take the only option left for us at this time. We are going to start a new contest. We will use the same AFFL software and website, and change the name of the contest in the future. The contest will be run in the exact same fashion as the AFFL. All previously posted prizes and rules will not change. As 2007 prize winners ourselves, we really wanted to make things right and payout 2007 winners. As we stated earlier, we are sad to say that with only a few weeks left until the season starts that’s going to be impossible. We are offering the following three choices for 2007 prize winners: 1. We will be honoring any 2007 AFFL prize credits that you want to roll over. Of the prize winners that we have spoken to, almost 90% were willing to roll over. If you want to put this debacle behind you, move on, and just play fantasy football again, then roll over and play in the same contest you won in last year. We are honest guys and will make timely payouts. Roll over amounts, up to $10,000, will never expire and will be able to be used over multiple years. We will personally contact prizes winners over $10,000 and speak to them personally about their options. If you choose this option, you will have to agree to absolve International Fantasy Sports and the AFFL of any 2007 prize liability. If you decline this option, please note that Chicago Fantasy Sports will not be assuming any liability for 2007 prize payouts from International Fantasy Sports. 2. Take your chances in court, although, this option will be long and drawn out, and as we understand it, previous ownership has no funds if the lawsuit succeeds. We have also been told that IFS is filing bankruptcy. With option 1 at least you are guaranteed to get something for what is owed to you. 3. Choose not to play with us on principle. Choose not to get involved in a drawn out lawsuit. Just chalk it up to a loss and do nothing. Again, with option 1, at least you are playing fantasy football. Please follow this link to accept or decline option 1. If you accept, your credits will be available immediately. www.affl.com/prizes If, prior to February, you had elected to take credit for you prize winnings, that credit is still active. However, you will still need to accept option 1. If that gives you additional credit, your original discount code will be updated. We hope that you will choose to play with us. Although we cannot prove ourselves to you in advance, as we had hoped, we will certainly do so in the future. We hope to have the site up and running at 100% in the next few days. Because we never really considered this option until the last few days, there are some things that will need a little time to happen. We will need to have prize winnings placed in your respective accounts soon. Once they are in your accounts, you can choose to use them this year or in future years. We have also decided to cancel the platinum league for this year only. Although we are reluctant to do so, there is just not enough time to get enough participants in order to make the platinum league competitive. For our platinum players, please consider our gold contest, it costs only $600 to enter, $750 less than the platinum contest and the grand prize is only $15,000 less. Also, due to time constraints, drafts on August 16th and 17th will be cancelled. Emails containing further information will be sent out in the future. We know there may be some of you that are unhappy with this resolution and we want you to know that we are as well. We certainly did not envision this when we started, but as I said earlier, this is the only feasible option we have left. Wade J. Golab 773-908-0246Robert J. Smolarczyk 773-842-5954
I am no lawyer, but this is a bunch of bull#### right here. It does not seem legal to buy a company, and just assume the assets, but none of the liability. I know that one can purchase assets from companies, but they are operating under the same name, using the same software, website, etc. This would be like a company buying AIG and deciding they are going to keep taking payments on policies, but not paying out claims since "they did not write the policy themselves, so they shouldn't be responsible." There is no way that this Neil guy isn't pulling strings. I'm curious if any money changed hands. If so, Neil would presumably have some $$. I doubt it though, same shady scam with a different face to it.I agree it isn't worth pursuing in civil court, but there is absolutely criminal acitivity.
Asset purchases happen all the time. No liability transfers. Frustrating as heck, yes, but legal.Buying the assets and liabilities is not an "asset purchase".

Users who are viewing this thread