What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will Jamal Lewis (1 Viewer)

Stuffing 8 or 9 in the box to stop the run at all cost-- done in every game this season

No passing game -- done in every game

I see no reason given that nobody has been able to stop him so far for him to falter.

@ Cinn -- this guy has torched them since he came into the leage. Sick numbers

DEN -- tough since DEN is great against the run. Average numbers but still should produce

JAC -- sick numbers

@STL -- sick numbers and people won't be talking about Faulk that day

@MIA -- tough game here and won't know for a few weeks especially with Miami so up and down

SEA -- sick numbers

SF -- joke defense, sick numbers

CINN -- again, sick numbers

@Oak -- run run run sick numbers

CLE -- super bowl weekend for me, perfect rematch and watch him try and break his single game record. SICK game.

So, one possibly two games there are possible doubts. The rest, oh oh it's magic!!!!
A couple of those *Sick* games should be re-classified.CIN - 22nd - 121 ypg allowed

DEN - 11th - 96 ypg - GREAT LB's

JAC - 5th - 85 ypg - very stout DL

STL - 13th - 100 ypg

MIA - 2nd - 71 ypg - Good backers can stop the run with no pass threat

SEA - 22nd - is much improved but showing signs of weakening

SF - 6th - 88 ypg - is playing the run quite well. Held Alexander in check on the road

CIN - 22nd - 121 ypg

OAK - 32nd - 165 ypg - WOW - Here's where Jamal makes up some ground

CLE - 21st - 119 ypg

SF & JAX are tougher than you're giving credit. But the OAK game may make up for all the others. 165 ypg allowed rushing? That's sad.

Edit to add: As a fellow Edge-Jamal owner, here's hopin' he makes it. Plus I've never been a big Dickerson fan anyway (either on the field with ther football or the sidelines with a miicrophone).

Last edited by a moderator:
Posted on Oct 18 2003, 12:57 AM--------------------------------------------------------------------------------QUOTE (cracKer @ Oct 17 2003, 10:45 PM) This statement just strikes me as funny...sorry Maybe it's because of the "Ray Lewis is good, therefore they have the best defense".
I absolutely meant that Ray Lewis is the BEST. Their defense as a whole is very good and is capable of playing great because of him. That is no secret. They aren't where they were three years ago, but they have guys stepping up at other positions.I think Jamal Lewis should get alot of credit, but he is the second best player on his team. And if it wasn't for the defense, that pathetic excuse for a passing attack would bury his chances of being a top five running back let alone breaking any records.

Posted on Oct 18 2003, 12:57 AM--------------------------------------------------------------------------------QUOTE (cracKer @ Oct 17 2003, 10:45 PM) This statement just strikes me as funny...sorry  Maybe it's because of the "Ray Lewis is good, therefore they have the best defense".
I absolutely meant that Ray Lewis is the BEST. Their defense as a whole is very good and is capable of playing great because of him. That is no secret. They aren't where they were three years ago, but they have guys stepping up at other positions.I think Jamal Lewis should get alot of credit, but he is the second best player on his team. And if it wasn't for the defense, that pathetic excuse for a passing attack would bury his chances of being a top five running back let alone breaking any records.
On the surface, I can see why you make that statement. The thing that's really impossible to know is how good is Jamal Lewis? Ray Lewis has a number of high quality players around him on defense, there is no question about that. Lewis has a great O line and very good TE, but the other skill position players leave a lot to be desired. This allows teams to stack 8 or 9 players in the box with the sole purpose of stopping Jamal in mind. If Jamal Lewis played for a team like the Vikings, Colts or Rams, I'd say he'd be completely unstoppable. Imagine the yards he’d get on draws like Faulk, James and Bennett have all benefited from. Can you imagine a nickel package on 3rd and 8 three or four times a game for Lewis? Lewis just doesn't get those chances. From a fantasy standpoint, people argue that backs like Clinton Portis and Ahman Green are better players. I really don't believe that at all. I think the best RB in the NFL plays for Baltimore. He's put up great numbers playing for a horrid offense since the day he came into the league. Are they great fantasy numbers? Not really in previous years, but playing for an offense that went 6 straight weeks without an offensive TD will do that to you. Olandis Gary and Mike Anderson looked like stars in Denver, but how would they have looked in Baltimore? How would Clinton Portis look if he was forced to carry a team like Baltimore on his 205 lb frame? Denver has 3 WR's that are better than Baltimore's number one. That creates a huge amount of space for Portis to make things happen. Priest Holmes has stated that the Ravens "let me go for a reason" and that Lewis was the best back in the NFL. All I can say is that I see no reason to disagree from a real football perspective, although he may not be the best fantasy back unless he can get out of Baltimore.

J. Lewis' wear won't totally tear up offense

Mike Preston

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally published Oct 21, 2003

Mike Preston

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE OFFENSIVE identity of the Ravens may have to change again. The smash-mouth style is still in, but the team will have to make some adjustments because star running back Jamal Lewis can no longer shoulder the load alone.

It's no longer just the Jamal Lewis Show, but Jamal Lewis and Friends.

Lewis, who re-injured his sprained right shoulder Sunday against the Cincinnati Bengals, is expected to play against the Denver Broncos on Sunday at M&T Bank Stadium, but he won't be 100 percent on game day, or for the rest of the year. Lewis had to miss a few plays for the second straight week because of a sprained right shoulder.

When asked yesterday if Lewis' shoulder would be completely healthy again for the rest of the season, team trainer Bill Tessendorf said probably not. Coach Brian Billick anticipated that Lewis might wear down by the end of the season, but not show signs after Game 6.

The future has arrived for running backs Chester Taylor, a second-year player, and Musa Smith, a third-round draft pick out of Georgia.

"We had Musa Smith up for the first time [on Sunday], and he did well on special teams," Billick said. "Hopefully, he will have a cumulative effect on the numbers [carries] of Jamal.

"Again, as with any back, there is wear and tear. God forbid something happens to Jamal, it would change us a little bit," he said. "We are who we are in terms of the defense and special teams coverage. We think we have a couple of backs that we think we could continue to play that way. That is not to say they would play at Jamal's level. It's ambitious. It would put more pressure on the quarterback."

Uh-oh, I know what you're thinking. Go ahead, say it. Billick is going to go pass-happy, and now he has a bona fide reason to really show off the strong arm of rookie quarterback Kyle Boller.

It won't happen. There is no reason for concern. They have to get Lewis some relief. Will it have a dramatic impact? No. The Ravens still have the biggest offensive line in the NFL. Will it curtail production? Without question.

Even if it's only in relief, you can't replace the NFL's top rusher (843 yards this season). Of the Ravens' 351 offensive plays in 2003, Lewis has carried the ball 134 times. He has the speed to turn the corner and the power to run inside. He has been so effective that Cincinnati coach Marvin Lewis replaced a safety with a linebacker Sunday to help slow Lewis.

Lewis' total number of carries aren't significantly different from a year ago, but he probably has absorbed double the punishment with teams constantly putting eight or nine players near the line of scrimmage. Three weeks ago, Lewis had problems with his left shoulder. Now, it's his right.

"I anticipate him playing Sunday," Tessendorf said. "We had a similar situation last week, and we held him out, rested it, and it settled down. It held up for most of the game. But Jamal has that style, that Woody Hayes 3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust."

Tessendorf said that Boller also has a sprain of his left (non-throwing) shoulder, and that the team will evaluate his status daily. "Kyle has youth on his side," Tessendorf said.

Asked if Lewis, a fourth-year player, had youth on his side as well, Tessendorf responded: "After a year and a half [in the NFL], youth goes away."

Eventually, the Ravens knew Lewis' tough running style would force them to slow him down. That's why they drafted Smith in April. Back then, the plan was to have Smith ready in two or three years. A little sense of urgency has moved up the timetable.

But it won't be Smith, 6 feet 2 and 232 pounds, alone. Taylor, the team's top passing threat out of the backfield, will also be in the rotation. But if you want to see members of the Ravens' front office smile, ask them about Smith. Or ask running back coach Matt Simon. The kid missed a lot of the preseason with a knee injury and had arthroscopic surgery right before the season opener. He hasn't played an offensive down yet, but the consensus is that he is a poor man's Jamal Lewis without the burst to get around corners.

That's why Billick won't change his game plan much. All the pieces are still in play. The Ravens still have Lewis as the centerpiece and a rugged offensive line that is better at run-blocking than pass-blocking.

Plus, Billick has learned his lessons for the season, the most painful one in the season opener when he had Boller throw more than 40 times and the Ravens were routed by Pittsburgh, 34-15. He also learned from the three interceptions Boller threw against Kansas City (another loss) and the two fumbles and one interception Boller had against the Bengals (another loss).

The less you have to depend on a rookie, the better. You might figure Billick would be a little juiced up from the 302 passing yards Boller threw for against Cincinnati, but he has it in perspective. Boller isn't ready yet to play in the NFL, and the Ravens still don't have consistent receivers or the scheme to form a decent passing attack.

Their best chance of winning was to run Lewis, and now it's to run Lewis, Taylor and Smith. It sounds like a nice little law firm.

Two years ago when Lewis went down for the season with a knee injury in training camp, the Ravens were unprepared. They had to lure Terry Allen out of his retirement rocking chair to play.

The team learned from that experience. A team needs two good running backs to make it through the season, just like most need two good quarterbacks. The Ravens brought in both Taylor and Smith for the future, but the time has come because Lewis needs some help in shouldering the load.
Gotta give myself a pat on the back for nailing this one dead on: 1) Defenses crowd the LOS and will let Boller try to beat them, which he won't.

2) Jamal is already hurt &

3) his carries will continue to decrease as a result

4) my RB curse continues....

So, if I may ask without being condemned to the ACF... Who is the guy to have in case Jamal goes down? Taylor or Smith? As a Lewis owner without any viable alternatives at RB, I would like to be prepared for the seemingly inevitable...

If you stack 8 or 9 guys in the box againist Jamal, you probably develop a decent passing game along the way. I think Boller sucks, but he don't suck that bad.

Jamal's chances for a record don't depend as much on what the opponent's defences do, compared to what Bal's D does. The key will be in keeping other teams from driving up the score early in order to keep him from getting the ball. This last game vs. Cin had me feeling that sinking feeling I get as a Charger fan when LT2 is abandoned to play catchup. Of course Lewis still broke 100... but by just one yard, and we know that won't cut it for the record.Now I'm obviously not comparing these team's Ds, but I'm guessing that future teams will be noting Sunday's results and doing what ever they can to try to get ahead early. I have faith in Bal's D and think that this will actually provide more opportunity for INTs and such, but I think this possible trend will hurt JLew's chances for the record.

Taylor is the #2 behind Lewis, he is also the goal line back now, so I'd go with him.
HK, unless you're kidding, you should be careful making posts that affect your cred. The fact that Taylor got a goalline carry while Jamal was on the sidelines getting his shoulder rubbed so he'd be ready to rock if they got the ball back hardly makes him the "goalline back". I think Taylor has some value, but lets not be so prone to exaggeration.HERD

HK, unless you're kidding, you should be careful making posts that affect your cred. The fact that Taylor got a goalline carry while Jamal was on the sidelines getting his shoulder rubbed so he'd be ready to rock if they got the ball back hardly makes him the "goalline back". I think Taylor has some value, but lets not be so prone to exaggeration.HERD
Read the article I posted earlier. The Ravens are going to try to limit the pounding that Lewis gets. Actions speak louder than words, when they got near the goal line they took out Lewis. Not too hard to read between the lines here...nothing "official" has been announced but after it happens again this week we'll have confirmation that Taylor is the full fledged TD vulture. Most other teams do it, why not Billick, after all he is an offensive genius....

Read the article I posted earlier. The Ravens are going to try to limit the pounding that Lewis gets. Actions speak louder than words, when they got near the goal line they took out Lewis. Not too hard to read between the lines here...nothing "official" has been announced but after it happens again this week we'll have confirmation that Taylor is the full fledged TD vulture. Most other teams do it, why not Billick, after all he is an offensive genius....
Sorry, got to go with Herd on this one. Watched the game and his shoulder was getting rubbed while they threw in Taylor. Taylor is good but let's not go crazy now, JLewis is the man there and unless he gets hurt near the goal line again, they aren't going to take him out. Talk about crappy luck, thank god I won though!

HK, unless you're kidding, you should be careful making posts that affect your cred.  The fact that Taylor got a goalline carry while Jamal was on the sidelines getting his shoulder rubbed so he'd be ready to rock if they got the ball back hardly makes him the "goalline back".  I think Taylor has some value, but lets not be so prone to exaggeration.HERD
Sorry, got to go with Herd on this one. Watched the game and his shoulder was getting rubbed while they threw in Taylor. Taylor is good but let's not go crazy now, JLewis is the man there and unless he gets hurt near the goal line again, they aren't going to take him out. Talk about crappy luck, thank god I won though!
I know, I'm just bitter as hell. Jamal, DDavis & Lamar Gordaon all had TD's vultured from them due to crappy circumstances resulting in a 2 point loss this past weekend and now I am 4-3. However, with my sh*tty luck, I fully expect Taylor to be the goal line back, I am only half kidding when I think he could be pulled.

Looks like HK may end up being correct after all :( ...Ravens: Lewis has sprained shoulder by Fanball Staff - Fanball.comTuesday, October 21, 2003NewsBaltimore running back Jamal Lewis, who has left each of the last two games with a shoulder injury only to return and top 100 rushing yards, has a mild sprain of his right shoulder. Lewis said he will play through the pain, but team officials told the Baltimore Sun that Lewis probably will not be at full strength for the rest of the season.ViewsWhile it sounds like Lewis won’t miss significant time, this news indicates that Chester Taylor will continue to be worked into the Baltimore backfield. Also, with Jamal one solid hit away from the sidelines, those who have been riding Lewis’s success would be well advised to stash Taylor on their roster, just in case.

I'm bitter as well. I needed the Jamal TD (and Ricky getting no love at the goalline wass a problem too) and when it went to Taylor, I pretty much lost my game right then and there.Taylor will get some carries for sure, and he'll probably get another TD or 2 along the way.But to compare Mack, who has a history of being a good goalline option, with Taylor is a bit short-sighted.HERD

Also, with Jamal one solid hit away from the sidelines, those who have been riding Lewis’s success would be well advised to stash Taylor on their roster, just in case.
No joke.I've got Chester Taylor and Musa Smith stashed away in the 'In Case Of Emergency Break Glass' RB cabinet.I am more than willing to sacrifice some production to give JLew a chance to get healthier. These games mean far less now than they will come Week 14.

Furthermore...You say he won't have the health to pull off the record. That's a real tough one to throw out there because it's such an intangible thing to predict. How many people thought Ricky Williams would play all 16 games in 2002? Many didn't, but he did. I'm also encouraged by the fact that Jamal only plays one carpet game all season. For a big back like him, that's a real nice bonus.You question his ability to be consistent over the course of a full season. Fair enough. But as of now, he's proving you wrong.Your notion that he doesn't have enough surrounding talent to pull it off is the one that holds the least amount of merit IMO. What difference does it make? You mean to tell me that last week, or three weeks ago, four weeks ago, defensive coordinators facing the Ravens still weren't quite sure what the Ravens pass/run mix was going to be going into their game? You mean to tell me that defensive coordinators still feel you gotta watch out for that Boller kid? Please. The Ravens are the easiest read in the NFL. From the opening kickoff of the first game of the season, Billick has been outwardly verbal about the Ravens 'old-school' approach to offense. They have basically dared defenses to stack the box. They have. And it's basically been man on man defense versus offense, and kudos to the Ravens for simply out-blocking their competitors week in and week out. There is zero mystery in Baltimore. So, throw out that balance argument. It holds no water.
I'm still sticking with my original prediction that he won't get the record. :lol:

Furthermore...

You say he won't have the health to pull off the record. That's a real tough one to throw out there because it's such an intangible thing to predict. How many people thought Ricky Williams would play all 16 games in 2002? Many didn't, but he did. I'm also encouraged by the fact that Jamal only plays one carpet game all season. For a big back like him, that's a real nice bonus.

You question his ability to be consistent over the course of a full season. Fair enough. But as of now, he's proving you wrong.

Your notion that he doesn't have enough surrounding talent to pull it off is the one that holds the least amount of merit IMO. What difference does it make? You mean to tell me that last week, or three weeks ago, four weeks ago, defensive coordinators facing the Ravens still weren't quite sure what the Ravens pass/run mix was going to be going into their game? You mean to tell me that defensive coordinators still feel you gotta watch out for that Boller kid? Please. The Ravens are the easiest read in the NFL. From the opening kickoff of the first game of the season, Billick has been outwardly verbal about the Ravens 'old-school' approach to offense. They have basically dared defenses to stack the box. They have. And it's basically been man on man defense versus offense, and kudos to the Ravens for simply out-blocking their competitors week in and week out. There is zero mystery in Baltimore. So, throw out that balance argument. It holds no water.
I'm still sticking with my original prediction that he won't get the record. :lol:
Before you get all smug over your call that Lewis won't get the record in lieu of the announcement today that Lewis will not be 100% for the remainder of the season because of his banged-up shoulder. Let me take you back to last season:"Wednesday September 11, 2002

When I'm old, I'm going to be in lots of chronic pain. That's a horrible realization, but it's the truth. Football can mess you up pretty bad. I can look at this two ways.  I can look forward to a life of pain pills until my liver falls out. Or I can be proactive and have the attitude Jerry Rice has,  keep working hard to protect myself against injury by having a body in tip-top condition. You can take care of your body so you can hold up longer and not fall apart. I choose to look at it the positive way but it's not always easy. My shoulder was extremely sore after this weeks game, and it is always going to be. The trainers told me that it's basically going to flare up every time I get hit on it directly because I've got so much junk in my shoulders from the wear and tear of football. I've gotten what seems like hundreds of X-rays, and it's amazing to see how much stuff is in my joints. I've separated both my shoulders before, and I'm going to keep getting hit there because of how hard I run. It's kinda unavoidable. I can get my shoulder scoped after the season, but I'm not doing anything right now except working really hard to strengthen and protect it. I can't let anything take me off the field. It's too important for me to be in there, for me and for the team. I'm going to have to start doing a lot more shoulder work. It feels fine right now because of all the treatment I've gotten on it, but feeling fine is usually temporary in football. I played all last year with a banged up pretty good, so it's not that big a deal. I'll treat it and take care of it, but you better learn to play with pain in this game. You always play a little hurt. The difference between good players, and better players is usually who plays the best when hurtin. It's amazing to me to think about the numbers I could have put up by now if I hadn't chosen to play with so many injuries. I've always had big numbers when I've been healthy, but that's part of playing in the NFL. You rarely feel 100 percent, so most people are trying to do whatever they do when they don't feel 100 percent (especially late in the season). You know how it is when you are young? You always feel bullet-proof, invincible and can play forever. But all I had to do was look at some of my X-rays to know my days are numbered."

Ricky Williams wrote this on his blog following their opening game of 2002 in which he injured his shoulder exactly the same way Lewis has, and it became known he wasn't going to be at 100% for the rest of the year.

He went on to win the rushing title with 1853 yards and 17 TD's. With his injured shoulder. :lol:

He went on to win the rushing title with 1853 yards and 17 TD's. With his injured shoulder. :lol:
What does what Ricky did last year have to do with what Jamal will do this year? First of all, a rushing title is a far cry from breaking the all time rushing record. Second of all, I don't think it's his shoulder that will keep from breaking it. He's just not quite as good as a lot of posters on this thread think him to be. I only see two backs in the NFL that have the POTENTIAL to break the record in the next couple of years, and neither one will probably do it because of the wear and tear that a full season puts on a RB. We'll revisit this next year when Portis and/or Tomlinson is knocking on the door. :D

I was noting the comparisons as I looked them up, some of which are favorable...some not (with a failed attempt at humor along the way). One thing that Jamal Lewis does not have that Dickerson did is the Rams offensive line from back in the day.
Another thing Jamal doesn't have going for him that E.D. did is a grossly diluted NFL to run up #'s against.E.D. ran up the best of his career numbers during an era when a not insignificant percentage of the best football players in the world were playing for a competing football league.

It stands to reason that whoever the best back of that era was -- and E.D. appears to have been it -- would be of an elite caliber comparable the elite calibers of other eras (let's call his rating as a football player 10/10), but that on average he'd be rushing against defenses that weren't as talented as those of other eras. If most years, Rb's get it done against average D's (say, against players who average 5/10), during the USFL era, when lots of the Reggie Whites and others went elsewhere for a couple years, E.D. faced D's full of players that averaged maybe 3/10. Davis's and Sanders's 2000+ seasons were, in my opinion, far better years than E.D.'s.

This hurts any back's chance of catching E.D. -- it's simply not a level playing field.

That's another good point Mordred. Very valid but I don't think that's what would keep a player like Jamal from closing the deal anyway. I honestly think that he doesn't have the break away speed to get it done. He easily has the heart, the muscle, and he has a team that is relying solely on him. I've already spoken about reasons why it will be difficult for him.However, I think a back that will break the all time season rushing record will have to have flat out speed/moves that almost haven't been seen before in this league( B. Sanders like). I love LT2 (and I've always been a Fred Taylor fan - what he could have been romantic) , but I honestly think there is a gear from C. Portis that we haven't seen yet that will put him over the top either next year or the one after that. Being a Raider fan, the thing that will always haunt me is how good Bo Jax could have been had that nobody Bengal not pulled his hip out. ;)

That's another good point Mordred. Very valid but I don't think that's what would keep a player like Jamal from closing the deal anyway. I honestly think that he doesn't have the break away speed to get it done. He easily has the heart, the muscle, and he has a team that is relying solely on him. I've already spoken about reasons why it will be difficult for him.However, I think a back that will break the all time season rushing record will have to have flat out speed/moves that almost haven't been seen before in this league( B. Sanders like). I love LT2 (and I've always been a Fred Taylor fan - what he could have been romantic) , but I honestly think there is a gear from C. Portis that we haven't seen yet that will put him over the top either next year or the one after that. Being a Raider fan, the thing that will always haunt me is how good Bo Jax could have been had that nobody Bengal not pulled his hip out. ;)
Jamal Lewis has insane speed for his size. To say that he doesn't have break away speed is just flat out wrong. First of all, you can watch film of him gaining steps on the Brown's DB's as he's ripping off 60 yard TD's. They couldn't catch him with angles. Second of all, you can look at his 40 times at the combine and others and see that he's got a ton of speed.Tennessee RB Jamal Lewis ran a draw dropping 4.37 in the 40 yard dash. Lewis later said, "I just wanted to run like a 4.38 or a 4.39. A lot of teams thought I was running like a 4.5 or 4.6, so I just had to prove them wrong." Just to add some perspective, that's as fast as any WR ran at the combine:Wide receivers: This is the deepest area of the draft with 12 listed in the top 40 of Kiper’s ratings. The first-round candidates include Florida State’s Peter Warrick, Michigan State’s Plaxico Burress, Georgia Tech’s Dez White, West Virginia’s Jerry Porter, Arizona’s Dennis Northcutt, Florida’s Travis Taylor and USC’s R. Jay Soward. Soward recorded the fastest 40-yard dash time for receivers at 4.37.According the Ravens this year, he's actually faster than he was when he came out of Tennessee.Maybe he won't break the record, but it won't be because he lacks break away speed.

if you believe the Ravens have a shot at the playoffs, then you have to believe JLew has a shot at the recordand vice versathe Ravens will likely 'be in' any game they are controlling the ball--ie, Lewis chewing up yardage--this is CLEARLY the game plan every week, as Boller gets NFL QB 101 under his beltif Baltimore falls behind badly in a game (ie, CINN game), then the plan for handing it to Jamal 25-30 times goes out the door....while he had decent #'s vs CINN, these type games will hurt him...StL,SF,SEA can all put up points in a hurry, early and take Ravens out of the planLewis will need ~450 carries to get there--and at least 2 more 'big' games...possible, but not probablewhile I am obviously a fan, and am rooting for him to do it, I see this as a most difficult taskand that playoff spot I mentioned earlier...freakin' Spittsburg beats us week 17 for it :hot: :rant:

DD, et al.It appears that there is no rationalizing with fools!!!!For the record, I firmly believe Jamal will lead the league in rushing, and if he can (a) play all 16 games in a playoff race and (b) have one more "monster game" - 175+ on the ground, he's got a chance at th record.HERD

Jamal likely won't make it through the season. If he had a 3rd knee maybe he could have surgery on that one too. :football:

Jamal likely won't make it through the season. If he had a 3rd knee maybe he could have surgery on that one too. :football:
What a GREAT post that was!! Very insightful of all your wisdom on this subject. Thanks for taking the time. :confused:

Statistically, Priest Holmes has a greater probability of blowing his non-surgical knee than does Lewis reinjuring one that he's already blown.

Looks like HK may end up being correct after all :( ...Ravens: Lewis has sprained shoulder by Fanball Staff - Fanball.comTuesday, October 21, 2003NewsBaltimore running back Jamal Lewis, who has left each of the last two games with a shoulder injury only to return and top 100 rushing yards, has a mild sprain of his right shoulder. Lewis said he will play through the pain, but team officials told the Baltimore Sun that Lewis probably will not be at full strength for the rest of the season.ViewsWhile it sounds like Lewis won’t miss significant time, this news indicates that Chester Taylor will continue to be worked into the Baltimore backfield. Also, with Jamal one solid hit away from the sidelines, those who have been riding Lewis’s success would be well advised to stash Taylor on their roster, just in case.
3rd straight game now with the sore shoulder, all over 100 yards.Not to mention the first RB to rush for 100 against Denver this season. LT2 couldn't do it, Holmes couldn't do it, Lewis and the shoulder pulled through. Needs to pick up the pace to get to the record, but a solid game nonetheless.

DD, et al.It appears that there is no rationalizing with fools!!!!For the record, I firmly believe Jamal will lead the league in rushing, and if he can (a) play all 16 games in a playoff race and (b) have one more "monster game" - 175+ on the ground, he's got a chance at th record.HERD
I wouldn't go so far as to say fools. This thread was started as, "Will Jamal Lewis break the record?" Not, "Who thinks Jamal is a good back?" If it was an even money bet that I had to take, I would definitely say NO to the first question. Of course, he's a good back having a great season on a crappy team, but I still think his chances of breaking the all time rushing record are far below 50%. Just the fact that you have to qualify your response with points (a) and (b) illustrates that both of these things are necessary for him to have a "chance" at the record. Maybe, you really do think he's got a better chance than 50-50 at breaking it, but I'd like to see all of the Jamal supporters reaching for their wallets to make that bet first.

Oct 28, 2003, 13:47Ravens - Ravens Unconcerned With RB Lewis' WorkloadAaron Wilson, Ravens.com - [Full Article]Ravens running back Jamal Lewis is coming off a career-high 32 carry performance and his sixth straight 100 yard game. "Even at the pace he's on now, he's under a 400 carry year," began Head Coach Billick. "I would like to keep him under 400. If he has to go over 400, he has to go over 400. He's certainly not going to argue with that."
Where are all the pro-record setter people to spin this one?For the record, I say he still has NO chance. 1800 yards tops.

Oct 28, 2003, 13:47Ravens - Ravens Unconcerned With RB Lewis' WorkloadAaron Wilson, Ravens.com - [Full Article]Ravens running back Jamal Lewis is coming off a career-high 32 carry performance and his sixth straight 100 yard game. "Even at the pace he's on now, he's under a 400 carry year," began Head Coach Billick. "I would like to keep him under 400. If he has to go over 400, he has to go over 400. He's certainly not going to argue with that."
Where are all the pro-record setter people to spin this one?For the record, I say he still has NO chance. 1800 yards tops.
OK, I say 1800 as the floor H.K.... loser buys?

Jamal is a monster from what I have seen of him. He is very capable of doing it. You don't think Cleveland was trying to stop him after his prediction? Those are the kind of things that fire up a team to stop him? I could very easily see him having 1 or 2 more monster games to help him on the few mediocre games. As for injuries, what back isn't dinged up? He knows he has to play through that and seems willing to do it. The ACLs (knees) are very low risk as the replacement is stronger than the original and if you look at athletes who do have 2 done, I can't think of any that had it done to the same knee so if both have been repared.......... Robert Smith was supposed to be injury prone and was until he had his 2 knee done, after that he was a reliable very good fantasy back if not a stud. I know I wish I would have had him back in the day.

nope, he won't... Balt is too one dimensional.. Not like the days of TD when they had to respect the pass...

For the record, I say he still has NO chance. 1800 yards tops.
Jamal has 977 yards through 7 games which is a 139.6 yards per game average. That calculates out to 2,233 for the season, which would surpass the record.So he is well on pace to break it, yet you say he has "NO" chance? You anti-record setter's only argument is to debate what the future holds, which none of us know. All you can base his chances on is what he has done so far, but you willingly choose to ignore that.

Jamal has 977 yards through 7 games which is a 139.6 yards per game average. That calculates out to 2,233 for the season, which would surpass the record.So he is well on pace to break it, yet you say he has "NO" chance? You anti-record setter's only argument is to debate what the future holds, which none of us know. All you can base his chances on is what he has done so far, but you willingly choose to ignore that.
I stand by my initial post on this topic. Reasons Jamal has no shot at the record (drum roll please):1) Kyle Boller - No threat of a passing game will make every rushing yard that much tougher to get.2) Injury risk - Lewis has an injury history. He takes (and gives) a lot of punishment, but he gets hurt as a result. Exhibit A is this week's injury report.3) Opportunity - Billick is giving a lot of carries to Taylor to spell Lewis. Watching this happen is like watching stats go down a drain.4) Karma - I have Jamal on my fantasy team and I am like the kiss of death for whoever I draft. I had Priest last year and as soon as he got within a whisker of the TD record, everything went kablooey. Check out Edge this year if you need more proof.There you have it, so it is, so it shall be!

OK, I say 1800 as the floor H.K.... loser buys?
You, my friend, are on!!!.....buys what? :confused:

I stand by my initial post on this topic. Reasons Jamal has no shot at the record (drum roll please):1) Kyle Boller - No threat of a passing game will make every rushing yard that much tougher to get.2) Injury risk - Lewis has an injury history. He takes (and gives) a lot of punishment, but he gets hurt as a result. Exhibit A is this week's injury report.3) Opportunity - Billick is giving a lot of carries to Taylor to spell Lewis. Watching this happen is like watching stats go down a drain.4) Karma - I have Jamal on my fantasy team and I am like the kiss of death for whoever I draft. I had Priest last year and as soon as he got within a whisker of the TD record, everything went kablooey. Check out Edge this year if you need more proof.There you have it, so it is, so it shall be!
You're say 1800 as a floor? You realize that to reach that he only needs to average 91 yards per game for the rest of the season?To address your concerns:1. Boller's been QB all season and it hasn't stopped Jamal from picking up 977 yards in 7 games. And, he's getting better, with a QB rating of 85 for the three games he's played in Oct., so there's a chance that opponents will actually have to start respecting the pass more than they have to date this season.2. Jamal's injuries are of the catastrophic, unpredictable kind. There are not of the nagging, game time decision kind. In his rookie season, he started the final 17 games the Ravens played (including post-season) and played all 16 last year.3. Billick is NOT giving a lot of carries to Taylor. Lewis had 32 this week - his career high! How many more carries do you want him to get?4. Maybe your relentless negativity about players on your own team contributes to your bad karma. It's time to embrace happiness, cast away resentment, and reap the rewards.

4. Maybe your relentless negativity about players on your own team contributes to your bad karma. It's time to embrace happiness, cast away resentment, and reap the rewards.
Never! All I have to do is let the inkling of a positive thought creep into my brain about my FF team and all goes to hell. I would prove it to you and type something nice about one of my players, but I am not willing to throw away my FF season to prove a point. Besides, at this point in the season I have nothing positive to say about any of those losers on my squad anyway :rant: :hot: ;) I save my happiness for my family and loved ones. FF's purpose is to balance out my life and make me miserable about something :cool:

Never! All I have to do is let the inkling of a positive thought creep into my brain about my FF team and all goes to hell. I would prove it to you and type something nice about one of my players, but I am not willing to throw away my FF season to prove a point. Besides, at this point in the season I have nothing positive to say about any of those losers on my squad anyway :rant: :hot: ;) I save my happiness for my family and loved ones. FF's purpose is to balance out my life and make me miserable about something :cool:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

To further expand on #3, Lewis is currently averaging 23.7 carries and 139 ypg (5.8 ypc....sick!)C Taylor is averaging 4.4 carries and 18.1 ypg (4.1 ypc), has only had 7 carries in the last 2 gamesLewis would need to have 3 more carries a game on average (26 carries per game) for the rest of the season to reach the 400 carry mark Billick referenced, so his carries would actually have to increse to get to that markAnother point, this season Baltimore is 4-1 when Lewis gets 20+ carries, 0-2 when he gets less than 20, the coaches have to see a cooralation

To further expand on #3, Lewis is currently averaging 23.7 carries and 139 ypg (5.8 ypc....sick!)C Taylor is averaging 4.4 carries and 18.1 ypg (4.1 ypc), has only had 7 carries in the last 2 gamesLewis would need to have 3 more carries a game on average (26 carries per game) for the rest of the season to reach the 400 carry mark Billick referenced, so his carries would actually have to increse to get to that markAnother point, this season Baltimore is 4-1 when Lewis gets 20+ carries, 0-2 when he gets less than 20, the coaches have to see a cooralation
Ding Ding... This round goes to Bushead

Good analysis on the number of carries increasing :thumbup: However, the 4-0 record on the 20+ carry mark is a bit deceiving. If Baltimore gets behind early, they don't have the offense to come from behind (mostly due to personnel and offensive scheme), so they must rely on their defense to keep them close for Lewis to get his workload. The play of the defense has more to do with Lewis getting his carries than any other factor.Just to end on a negative note, last week Lewis' YPC fell from 6.2 to 5.9 on the season, a trend I see continuing. He'll be lucky to finish at 4.6.

Last edited by a moderator:
I DO think he's got a chance at the record, since his team appears that they'll be in the playoff positional hunt till the end, and he's the entire offense. In short: they'll have to ride their horse.But to play Devil's advocate:The talk of his being on pace for 2200+, due to his current 140/game, is a sketchy argument. One of those games is a statistical outlier. Not only an outlier, but so far outlying that no rushing day in NFL history outlies quite as far. YES, he still gets credit for the yards, but to figure them into what he's "on pace" to do is statistically daft. Simply put, you can't expect another 300 yard game for him, ever.Throwing out his high and low, the remainder of his games suggest a "pace" of about 123/game. If he keeps that pace up, he'll surpass 2000, but not E.D.(As an aside, I wouldn't put too much weight behind his being the first back to put up 100+ on DEN, either, since he's also the only back who got to benefit from a Kannell-led opposition, and a grossly depleted LB corps. A good game, still, but not really a fair comparison to the DEN squad those other backs faced.)

Yep, I will admit I just happened to notice that winning trend while looking at the numbers and figured I would throw it in there. I agree those stats are usually meaningless because they are isolated from anything else that might have happened in a particular game.

I think it is reasonable for all of us to agree it could get very close to the record barring injuryAs Modred pointed out, it may be more reasonable to throw out the high (295) and low (69) to get a more realistic average yards per game to predict the rest of the season on, which ends up being 123.After 7 games he is at 977 + the remaining 9 games x 123 yards = 2084That is only 21 yards short of the record...or 2.3 yards more per game than the 123 average used aboveI think it is hard to say it is not a real possibility, still a long shot this early in the season, but would not require any more than what has been done so far by Lewis this season

Users who are viewing this thread