What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Californian's Rejoice! Your taxes are going UP UP UP! (1 Viewer)

StrikeS2k said:
jonessed said:
The tax increaes per family on this is supposed to be around $1500/year. That's quite a hit for a state that's mired in a recession.
Did you use the calculator I posted a link to above to calculate how this will affect you? I heard people calling in to a radio station who used it and some were getting 4-6k. And that's per year. Remember, this will be for five years, assuming they let these taxes expire which I doubt.
Playing with the calculator a bit, the taxes seem to penalize you for having more kids, which seems backwards, especially during a recession. Still, to be getting taxed $4-6k, you'd have to be making a huge amount of income and/or using a huge amount of gasoline. That seems pretty exceptional.

T Bell said:
Shadowfax said:
StrikeS2k said:
Shadowfax said:
Can't much of this mess be blamed on Prop 13? I'm assuming other states levy property tax based upon "current" value of home and not based upon value upon acquisition. The fact that many people are still paying taxes based on 1975 values is ridiculous.
No, it can't be blamed on prop. 13.
Why not? Seems like the states is losing a lot of tax revenue. :shrug:
And all of that's traceable to Prop 13? Let's test your understanding here and see you discuss Prop 13's upside. :goodposting:
Better yet. Let's see you discuss Prop 13's upside regarding commercial property.

StrikeS2k said:
jonessed said:
The tax increaes per family on this is supposed to be around $1500/year. That's quite a hit for a state that's mired in a recession.
Did you use the calculator I posted a link to above to calculate how this will affect you? I heard people calling in to a radio station who used it and some were getting 4-6k. And that's per year. Remember, this will be for five years, assuming they let these taxes expire which I doubt.
Mine will be around $2500. Families with kids get hit for about $200 each which seems rather stupid. How anyone can think it's a good idea to jack up taxes like this in a recession is mind-boggling. My wife and I will just have to cut spending, but this is going to put others in a serious bind.

I keep seeing people wanting to blame immigrants or the legislators for what's going on here. They play a small part. The biggest problem is that the residents can't stop voting for more spending through ballot measures. I'll admit, I'm as guilty as everyone - I think the rail programs are needed and I voted for them (it's the only spending I voted for). I still think we need that infrastructure, and that it will pay for itself in the long run. But overall the citizens vote for a ton of spending without thinking about how it'll be paid for or what the long term effects may be. That's how we end up with programs and projects that we can't pay for. I know it's more fun to race bait and play partisan politics, but the reality is that everybody is culpable for this situation. Passing the buck and playing the blame game isn't really going to help fix things either - in fact it'll make things worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep seeing people wanting to blame immigrants or the legislators for what's going on here. They play a small part. The biggest problem is that the residents can't stop voting for more spending through ballot measures. I'll admit, I'm as guilty as everyone - I think the rail programs are needed and I voted for them (it's the only spending I voted for). I still think we need that infrastructure, and that it will pay for itself in the long run. But overall the citizens vote for a ton of spending without thinking about how it'll be paid for or what the long term effects may be. That's how we end up with programs and projects that we can't pay for. I know it's more fun to race bait and play partisan politics, but the reality is that everybody is culpable for this situation. Passing the buck and playing the blame game isn't really going to help fix things either - in fact it'll make things worse.
You're wrong. The state spends ~ 13 BILLION a year on Illegals. So, if there hadn't been any illegals for the last three years in CA you'd almost have the shortage covered already. It costs 3 times as much to house an inmate in a CA prison than it does in Federal prison due to ungodly high salaries paid to the prison guards due to their union. The list goes on and on. Certainly people being stupid and voting for dumb spending measures is part of the problem. Oh, and if the rail you voted for was the one from So. Cal. to San Francisco you were one of those people. That's one of the dumbest ideas ever. But those measures are NOT the main problem.

How anyone can think it's a good idea to jack up taxes like this in a recession is mind-boggling. My wife and I will just have to cut spending, but this is going to put others in a serious bind.
You can easily say the same for the alternative : How anyone can think it's a good idea for a state to cut spending by $140 Billion in a recession is mind-boggling.
I keep seeing people wanting to blame immigrants or the legislators for what's going on here. They play a small part. The biggest problem is that the residents can't stop voting for more spending through ballot measures. I'll admit, I'm as guilty as everyone - I think the rail programs are needed and I voted for them (it's the only spending I voted for). I still think we need that infrastructure, and that it will pay for itself in the long run.
No. Rail lines NEVER pay for themselves. They are gigantic sinkholes of gov't money, because public transportation has to be available for low salaried citizens to effectively use to get to and from work. Thus they never recoup their huge initial fixed costs.There's no good solution to this problem. Everyone involved is to blame, and in California that means every resident.

You're wrong. The state spends ~ 13 BILLION a year on Illegals. So, if there hadn't been any illegals for the last three years in CA you'd almost have the shortage covered already. It costs 3 times as much to house an inmate in a CA prison than it does in Federal prison due to ungodly high salaries paid to the prison guards due to their union. The list goes on and on. Certainly people being stupid and voting for dumb spending measures is part of the problem. Oh, and if the rail you voted for was the one from So. Cal. to San Francisco you were one of those people. That's one of the dumbest ideas ever. But those measures are NOT the main problem.
We've been through this before, and I've presented you with as much information to show I'm correct in my thinking as you have supporting yours in past threads. We're not going to agree on it. And couching things in phrases like "dumbest ideas ever" makes taking you seriously an even tougher sell. :thumbdown:

How anyone can think it's a good idea to jack up taxes like this in a recession is mind-boggling. My wife and I will just have to cut spending, but this is going to put others in a serious bind.
You can easily say the same for the alternative : How anyone can think it's a good idea for a state to cut spending by $140 Billion in a recession is mind-boggling.
I keep seeing people wanting to blame immigrants or the legislators for what's going on here. They play a small part. The biggest problem is that the residents can't stop voting for more spending through ballot measures. I'll admit, I'm as guilty as everyone - I think the rail programs are needed and I voted for them (it's the only spending I voted for). I still think we need that infrastructure, and that it will pay for itself in the long run.
No. Rail lines NEVER pay for themselves. They are gigantic sinkholes of gov't money, because public transportation has to be available for low salaried citizens to effectively use to get to and from work. Thus they never recoup their huge initial fixed costs.There's no good solution to this problem. Everyone involved is to blame, and in California that means every resident.
Don't blame me. I've never voted for any of this dreck.

We've been through this before, and I've presented you with as much information to show I'm correct in my thinking as you have supporting yours in past threads. We're not going to agree on it. And couching things in phrases like "dumbest ideas ever" makes taking you seriously an even tougher sell. :thumbup:
Can I take this as a YES; that you did in fact vote for the high speed rail line between So. Cal. and San Francisco?

We've been through this before, and I've presented you with as much information to show I'm correct in my thinking as you have supporting yours in past threads. We're not going to agree on it. And couching things in phrases like "dumbest ideas ever" makes taking you seriously an even tougher sell. :blackdot:
Can I take this as a YES; that you did in fact vote for the high speed rail line between So. Cal. and San Francisco?
Absolutely. Go ahead and read this and this for starters and get back to me with your discussion of how their conclusions are incorrect.

We've been through this before, and I've presented you with as much information to show I'm correct in my thinking as you have supporting yours in past threads. We're not going to agree on it. And couching things in phrases like "dumbest ideas ever" makes taking you seriously an even tougher sell. :banned:
Absolutely. Go ahead and read this and this for starters and get back to me with your discussion of how their conclusions are incorrect.
I took a glance. I'd rather read this, from someone who has is a huge proponent of rail in CA but is vehemently opposed to this particular line:http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?.../EDB913D4MU.DTL

Note the credentials of the author. He is more qualified to offer an opinion on this rail line than ANYONE on the planet.

We've been through this before, and I've presented you with as much information to show I'm correct in my thinking as you have supporting yours in past threads. We're not going to agree on it. And couching things in phrases like "dumbest ideas ever" makes taking you seriously an even tougher sell. :banned:
We don't have a problem of transporting people between LA and SF. People have a problem commuting into each of these cities. The most recent bond measure is throwing hundreds of billions of dollars at a problem that we don't have.Moreover, this country has an incorrect belief that mass transit can only be made possible through the government. Our initial subway and rail lines were all developed by the private sector. Not surprisingly, very few of these lines have progressed much further since the government took them over.

Yet we include billions in the stimulus package for a potential rail line to Vegas :goodposting:

They aren't deficit spending because their credit is so bad. They are just pulling money out of the economy and then putting it back in. Except they don't put in as much as they took out due to the beuorocracy. How is that good for the economy?

I'm as big a proponent as any of mass transit, but the high speed line between LA and SF is a money pit. It should be a non-starter in a recession. It would be much better to focus on developing true mass transit within the cities/suburbs. That's a bigger issue.

If Madrid can have 200+ subway stations, Paris have 300+ stations, and London have 250 miles of track serving a billion rides per annum, then LA can do something half as expansive, and SF should have a system with 100+ stations.

We've been through this before, and I've presented you with as much information to show I'm correct in my thinking as you have supporting yours in past threads. We're not going to agree on it. And couching things in phrases like "dumbest ideas ever" makes taking you seriously an even tougher sell. :lmao:
I took a glance. I'd rather read this, from someone who has is a huge proponent of rail in CA but is vehemently opposed to this particular line:http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?.../EDB913D4MU.DTL

Note the credentials of the author. He is more qualified to offer an opinion on this rail line than ANYONE on the planet.
Not much substance in the article. He also engages in misconstruing information presented in the study (the second link I provided) - for instance the ridership estimates he quotes are projections for 2030 in the study and include transit systems connecting to the high speed rail, but he doesn't bother to mention those distinctions in his article. There are more problems like that in the article you've linked. I hope you're not basing your opinion regarding this on that article.

Not much substance in the article. He also engages in misconstruing information presented in the study (the second link I provided) - for instance the ridership estimates he quotes are projections for 2030 in the study and include transit systems connecting to the high speed rail, but he doesn't bother to mention those distinctions in his article. There are more problems like that in the article you've linked. I hope you're not basing your opinion regarding this on that article.
So you actually believe this line will get used by 117 MILLION people annually in 2030? He gave pretty good context in noting that only 29 MILLION use AMTRAK today, NATIONWIDE. So I ask again. You actually believe 117 MILLION people will use this annually in 2030?And please, point out the other inaccuracies. I'd love to pick holes in those as well. not to mention that you aren't addressing the more serious points such as the fact that a business plan was supposed to be done by Sept. 1 of last year so people could actually be truly informed. And that plan wasn't done even by the election. Has that plan even been done by now?

I'm as big a proponent as any of mass transit, but the high speed line between LA and SF is a money pit. It should be a non-starter in a recession. It would be much better to focus on developing true mass transit within the cities/suburbs. That's a bigger issue.
Part of the money in that proposal is targeted at improving the mass transit infrastructure "locally," particularly where it integrates with the high speed train. There were separate proposals for local mass transit as well. Los Angeles passed measure R to address this for instance. As others have mentioned, you pay a price for cutting spending in a recession as well - will it be less in the long run than the money saved short term?

We've been through this before, and I've presented you with as much information to show I'm correct in my thinking as you have supporting yours in past threads. We're not going to agree on it. And couching things in phrases like "dumbest ideas ever" makes taking you seriously an even tougher sell. :lmao:

People need better commute options, not better inter-city travel options.

So you actually believe this line will get used by 117 MILLION people annually in 2030? He gave pretty good context in noting that only 29 MILLION use AMTRAK today, NATIONWIDE. So I ask again. You actually believe 117 MILLION people will use this annually in 2030?
AMTRAK != local transit. Thanks for highlighting another problem with the article you posted.

We've been through this before, and I've presented you with as much information to show I'm correct in my thinking as you have supporting yours in past threads. We're not going to agree on it. And couching things in phrases like "dumbest ideas ever" makes taking you seriously an even tougher sell. :thumbup:

See my previous post.

So you actually believe this line will get used by 117 MILLION people annually in 2030? He gave pretty good context in noting that only 29 MILLION use AMTRAK today, NATIONWIDE. So I ask again. You actually believe 117 MILLION people will use this annually in 2030?
AMTRAK != local transit. Thanks for highlighting another problem with the article you posted.
ROFLMAO. You didn't answer the question. THis is about usage, not how far the train goes. And, to your point, do you consider traveling from LA to SF local? Again, Amtrak's Acela line is pretty much comparable to this line in terms of distance and it ONLY carries 3 million a year. You're not helping your case!!!!So, answer my specific question. Do you think this line will carry 117 million people by 2030? It's a simple yes/no question.

My wife and I are trying to get out. I've lived my whole life here but we pay out the wazoo and get nothing back for it. Our schools suck, we have high crime, high taxes. You can only pay so much for the weather. Unfortunately, we will have to wait until the job market comes back. We are looking at Seattle, Austin, or perhaps Minneapolis.
Why Austin? I would be more inclinded to move to Dallas-Fort Worth...more opportunity.

ROFLMAO. You didn't answer the question. THis is about usage, not how far the train goes. And, to your point, do you consider traveling from LA to SF local? Again, Amtrak's Acela line is pretty much comparable to this line in terms of distance and it ONLY carries 3 million a year. You're not helping your case!!!!So, answer my specific question. Do you think this line will carry 117 million people by 2030? It's a simple yes/no question.
Firstly, you realize the high speed trains make intra-city stops right? That it's not just L.A. to S.F. the project is covering, right? More importantly your question isn't applicable as the study doesn't talk about one particular line carrying 117 million people - it talks about the overall rail system carrying 117 million people. Do I think the entire rail system will handle 117 million people by then? Maybe, it depends on whether demographic projections are accurate and how far they get with the project. But that's what I'm talking about, the article you presented misstates things purposefully to try and make points. Read the actual study, then get back to me. It's pointless to continue this discussion until you are familiar with the source material.

You're right the propositions are a mess, and they cause a lot of the problems.Thing is, even the good idea ones never happen.

We approved something like $50 million for battered women's shelters, most of that money went to renovation and beautification projects on Figeuroa by Staples Center. We approve billions for children's hospitals and very little of it goes to kids, most goes to private hospital companies that don't have to provide any children's services. The rail line might sound like a good idea, but most of the money will be given to land developers that are friends of state legislators. The propositions include so many loopholes, the money can be used for anything.

http://www.laweekly.com/2008-10-23/news/re...ot-initiatives/

Reading the Fine Print: How to Spot the Loopholes, Legal Doozies and Loose Phrasing in California's Ballot Initiatives

Voter beware the phrases "associated with," "other uses" and "related issues"

By Jill Stewart

Published on October 22, 2008 at 7:54pm

Inside Sacramento’s domed Capitol building, where 120 senators and Assembly members tussle over budgets, a bill rumbled through the gummed-up system one night last fall like a freight train. Assembly Bill 1053 passed the usual hurdles so fast the Sacramento press corps barely caught it.

The bill, approved long after midnight on September 12, 2007, was tailored to please wealthy developers in cities like Oakland and Los Angeles. In Los Angeles, it complemented the needs of reclusive Denver billionaire Philip Anschutz, owner of Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG) and Staples Center.

Quickly signed by Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger after a short flurry of negative media stories, the law was written by then–Assembly Speaker Fabian Núñez and presented by state Senator Mark Ridley-Thomas, a recipient, California newspapers reported at the time, of more than $8,000 in campaign contributions from Anschutz and AEG. The law, for which AEG lobbied, aimed to allow AEG to benefit from $50 million from the Housing and Emergency Shelter Trust Fund Act of 2006 — approved by California voters to help shelter the homeless, battered women and the working poor.

The Núñez–Ridley-Thomas bill relaxed the rules on who could tap the Housing Trust Fund authored by fellow Democrat Don Perata. The change allowed Business Improvement Districts to also use the money. The Community Redevelopment Agency, which will actually disburse the money, acted as Anschutz’s cheerleader, describing the glitzy sidewalk upgrades and other fixes to the Figueroa Corridor — which feeds Staples Center — as a good use of $50 million in public funds.

Although the state so far has awarded only $30 million, and $8 million is being promised for a community center, job center and playing fields in the Corridor, the episode is still sending waves of disgust and irritation through the affordable housing community.

Paul Zimmerman, executive director of the Southern California Association of Non-profit Housing, says, “AEG rubs me rawer” than a recent move in City Hall to again tap the Housing Trust Fund, this time to use $30 million in a proposed Civic Center Park for a decorative bridge, a canopy of man-made shade, and other pricey features. The park would be sited next to the still-unbuilt Grand Avenue luxury hotel-and-condo complex.

But the fake shade and park decorations city leaders want to finance with housing bond money don’t bother Zimmerman as much as the Staples deal. “The fact that they used monies, hard-fought monies for low-income housing, essentially for ‘street-scaping’ and making Figueroa nicer, is a little hard to swallow,” he tells L.A. Weekly.

Yet both expenditures are perfectly legal, local twists in California’s high-stakes bond-measure game. Fred Silva, an expert on bond measures and a senior fellow at California Forward, a nonpartisan group trying to improve state governance, says the loopholes are always spelled out in the fine print — 61 pages of which are jammed in back of California’s November 4, 2008, Official Voter Information Guide. “It’s really a buyer-beware situation,” Silva says.

Proposition 6, involving criminal justice, for example, contains 14 pages of fine print, including an easily missed clause that expands the use of hearsay in criminal trials. Proposition 10, focused on alternative energy, provides a cool $50 million for such vague items as “grants for reasonable costs associated with test and certification.” Voters beware, because that sentence uses a long-abused loophole phrase: “associated with.”

Proposition 7, involving solar energy, contains unfathomable language, including this: “After construction has commenced, the corporation may apply to the commission for authorization to discontinue construction.” Prop. 7 also claims that California utilities now use 10 percent solar and clean energy, but requires utilities to use 20 percent — by 2010. That’s a doubling, in just a year, that USC media professor Jonathan Wilcox, who has worked on several bond measures, notes is “physically, technically and economically impossible.”

Wilcox calls the vast sums approved by voters in recent years, plus the measures on Nov. 4, “the subprime-ization of California government.” Californians have approved about 60 percent of all bond measures in the past decade. In the blowout year of 2005, voters passed 75 percent of the 75 bond measures — trillions in public spending.

Voters have piled up a mountain of long-term debt that will be paid off by their kids, and, increasingly, by voters’ grandkids. Several bond measures on Nov. 4 come with debt that won’t be paid off until 2038 — 30 years down the road. But in many cases, you must read the fine print to learn that.

Tim Hodson, executive director of the nonpartisan Center for California Studies at Sacramento State University, and a member of the California Fair Political Practices Commission, has developed Hodson’s Rules, including: “If it mandates legislative funding and gives no funding source, that’s a no.” (Prop. 6, for instance, mandates that the Legislature find another $365 million in its deficit-ridden budget, providing no other way to fund it.)

“Several of these things will be in court,” Hodson says, “I have no doubt.”

CALIFORNIA Voters who don’t read the fat Voter Information Guide to its end — and such voters are believed to number in the millions — can be sitting ducks for the specialty ghostwriters who come up with dense pages of wording that no layman wants to read.

That’s hardly an accident, says veteran ballot-measure warrior Ted Costa, of People’s Advocate in Sacramento. California ballot measures, Costa says, stop just short of lying. Instead, voters should be extremely wary of easily corruptible phrases that allow expenditures on “other projects” or “similar improvements” or “related issues.”

“My favorite is the ‘clean water’ bonds to ‘study’ the Bay Delta — and they are still studying,” Costa says. “A lot of these measures start out as worthy, and then a couple of state assemblymen get invited to attach crap, crap, crap — crap that’s counter to the intent.” Recalling Schwarzenegger’s 2005 promise to voters that $15 billion in bonds that year would end California’s chronic budget deficits, Costa says, “Arnold called it the ‘bond to end all bonds.’ Arnold lied — and you can quote me. I’m really pissed at him.”

This time, Costa points to Proposition 1A, the high-speed train measure, as one “doozy” that might even out-loophole the Housing Trust Fund. Predicts Costa: “Voters will never see a shovel of dirt turned.”

To be fair, the Housing Trust Fund is being used to finance several thousand affordable-housing apartment units and shelters in California. “We would not be building much of any affordable housing in California without these bond proceeds,” says the housing advocate.

But, as with other measures on the Nov. 4 ballot, the Housing Trust Fund’s quieter purpose was not to build the housing that dominates its ballot title. Before it became an omnibus package of purported social good, it was a classic Sacramento scheme to help enhance large private projects Senator Perata wanted — particularly in his own Oakland.

Perata had in mind a $1 billion bond measure to help developers defray the costs of big “in-fill” projects. It was made palatable by transforming it into a $2.85 billion trust fund jammed with capital help for low-income housing. Its fine print still contained hundreds of millions of dollars for “in fill,” $300 million for “transit-oriented development” including vague “other uses,” and $200 million for parks near “residential” — a line L.A. leaders are using to justify $30 million for that downtown park with fake shade.

One November 4 measure that sounds altruistic is Proposition 3. But it mostly benefits private, for-profit children’s hospitals that won a nearly identical modernization bond but spent the funds more quickly than promised. Prop. 3 is near the top of the ballot. Wilcox says that once voter sticker shock sets in, measures farther down the list get more scrutiny.

That could hurt Proposition 12, which is ironic. Providing for veteran’s home loans, it is the sole bond measure that will be paid back by its recipients, the veterans, not taxpayers.

With a probable recession unfolding, critics of ballot-box financing hope for a replay of the early 1990s — when voters rejected most measures. “California is mortgaging the grandkids otherwise,” says Wilcox, “apparently with no end in sight.”

Firstly, you realize the high speed trains make intra-city stops right? That it's not just L.A. to S.F. the project is covering, right? More importantly your question isn't applicable as the study doesn't talk about one particular line carrying 117 million people - it talks about the overall rail system carrying 117 million people. Do I think the entire rail system will handle 117 million people by then? Maybe, it depends on whether demographic projections are accurate and how far they get with the project. But that's what I'm talking about, the article you presented misstates things purposefully to try and make points. Read the actual study, then get back to me. It's pointless to continue this discussion until you are familiar with the source material.
WTF are you talking about? Which study? I just looked at both of the articles you posted and I don't see any specifics about this project in either one that would change my mind. That's the difference between you and I. I deal with specifics, not generalities and platitudes. So I'm done discussing this with you until if/when you can give some specifics from, say, the non-existent business plan for this project you helped provide funding for. And if you think 117 million people will EVER use this thing annually you're high and have lost all credibility.

Everything in that article is of interest and probably valid. How do you fix broken political processes to address those problems? And that is not just a California problem. It's exacerbated here because we have so many more people than most states, with a greater diversity of interests than most states, but its a problem that all states, and all representative governments have. Nobody has time to become truly conversant on every measure, proposition, bill, etc. - not even the legislators. And even if someone did, and was committed to ferreting out every loophole, chances are nothing would get done except paperwork revisions. There's a fine line between flawed but workable and totally corrupt and un-manageable. We've crossed it nationwide. I have no idea how to un-cross it, the separation between citizens and their representatives is too great in a majority of cases to have voting be effective, and direct vote propositions have opened up a back door where everyone is happy to vote themselves the candy store and then wonder why their taxes have to go up.

Everything in that article is of interest and probably valid. How do you fix broken political processes to address those problems? And that is not just a California problem. It's exacerbated here because we have so many more people than most states, with a greater diversity of interests than most states, but its a problem that all states, and all representative governments have. Nobody has time to become truly conversant on every measure, proposition, bill, etc. - not even the legislators. And even if someone did, and was committed to ferreting out every loophole, chances are nothing would get done except paperwork revisions. There's a fine line between flawed but workable and totally corrupt and un-manageable. We've crossed it nationwide. I have no idea how to un-cross it, the separation between citizens and their representatives is too great in a majority of cases to have voting be effective, and direct vote propositions have opened up a back door where everyone is happy to vote themselves the candy store and then wonder why their taxes have to go up.
You're right, the vast majority of voters cannot be thought of as "educated voters" with enough information to make the decisions they're asked to. That's why we have a representative democracy. We vote in someone else who's full-time job is to understand this stuff and make the best decision. If he or she doesn't, we vote him out.Right now, our only recourse is to unify as a group of taxpayers and sue the hell out of Sacramento. Then vote in a measure to completely eliminate proposition balloting for all these pet pork projects."The People" just can't be trusted.

We've been through this before, and I've presented you with as much information to show I'm correct in my thinking as you have supporting yours in past threads. We're not going to agree on it. And couching things in phrases like "dumbest ideas ever" makes taking you seriously an even tougher sell. :shrug:

See my previous post.
There isn't enough money to build the inter-city portion, much less additional intra-city add-ons.

WTF are you talking about? Which study? I just looked at both of the articles you posted and I don't see any specifics about this project in either one that would change my mind. That's the difference between you and I. I deal with specifics, not generalities and platitudes. So I'm done discussing this with you until if/when you can give some specifics from, say, the non-existent business plan for this project you helped provide funding for. And if you think 117 million people will EVER use this thing annually you're high and have lost all credibility.
So you didn't read the second link? It's all right there. For instance:
If approved, the Act would enable the state to issue

$9.95 billion in general obligation bonds to develop high-speed rail (HSR) in California.

Nine billion dollars would be used to fund the planning and construction of the high-

speed rail system, while the remaining $950 million dollars of the bond revenue would be

used for capital improvements to other passenger rail lines that would connect to the HSR

system. Heavy rail systems (e.g., the Los Angeles County Metro Rail and the Bay Area

Rapid Transit), commuter rail lines (e.g., Metrolink in the Los Angeles area and Caltrain

in the Bay Area), light rail systems (e.g., the San Diego Trolley and the San Francisco

Muni), and intercity rail would all benefit from capital improvements funded by the bond

measure
Or this:
Cambridge Systematics

calculated the benefits accruing in the Central Valley from reduced automobile delays to

be nearly $2 billion, while the reduction in air delays specific to the region would be a

relatively modest $2.6 million.
Those are specifics, not platitudes or generalities. There are plenty more facts, calculations and tables in that study as well you could discuss. If that's not good enough here's another study and another one and another one . I can see you're getting overly emotional about this, so I'll drop it.

In regard to rail, as I discussed in another thread, it is about building a rail SYSTEM. What is most needed in this nation is to reverse the suburban trends of endless sprawl and miles upon miles of congested roads because there is no viable, convenient alternative.

For rail to work, you need a comprehensive system that is designed holisitically. Building two or three lines in Los Angeles and expecting ridership to be robust is stupid. Build a system like New York which literally enables millions to not use (and many to not own) a car within the City (including the boroughs which would equate to more urban suburbs in other big cities) and provides a means not to use the car for commuting (and pleasure) to tens if not hundreds of thousands of others who live in the farther reaching suburbs. I can walk from my house 6 minutes to a train - that train takes me to Penn station. From there, not only is NY my oyster, but heck, I can go from almost my front door to washington DC or Boston without need of a car.

But back to local transit options - the idea is to create a network that has enough critical mass to encourage true ridership of the rails. If it becomes both cheaper AND more convenient to take the train to work or play in the city - or to another city within the suburbs - people will do so. While Americans wont give their cars up for good, we will gladly let them sit in the driveway if given a true viable alternative.

People time and time again point to how rail fails - it fails because of a piecemeal approach. A light rail. Maybe two. Two or three major lines in the nations second largest city. Rail lines without pockets of density at their suburban stops from which, people can walk from residential buildings to the train. If you attack the problem correctly - that is holistically and comprehensively - THEN, and ONLY then, can you foster positive change.

But to point to poor execution of a good idea in the past (ie LA's transit "system" that cant even get you to the freakin' airport. Brilliant) as reason not to pursue the only solution to many cities economic viability over the next century is utterly short sighted and sadly, fatalistic.

But to point to poor execution of a good idea in the past (ie LA's transit "system" that cant even get you to the freakin' airport. Brilliant) as reason not to pursue the only solution to many cities economic viability over the next century is utterly short sighted and sadly, fatalistic.
:shrug:

I can say this... there is talk about high speed rail for upstate NY. THIS is a perfect place for such an endeavor. Albany, Syracuse, Rochester especially, could be an hour to two hours from NYC. That includes Syracuse and rochester in the economy of the rest of the world as has not been the case before.

For example, I have a meeting in March up in 'cuse - do I fly in? such a pain. Drive? its 5 hours. Train? Still 5 hours. If it were 2 hours, that is an easy day trip, even less than a day's trip to go there, have a meeting, come back and still make it to the office for a couple hours if need be. Such a connection would have a multiplier economic effect for cities and regions that have lost their manufacturing base, yet are located too far from major tier cities to have much of an economic drawo outside of their regional significance.

LA to LV on the otherhand, Im not so convinced about... SF to LA would be nice, and there is an obvious connection there, but that would be money better spent on making LA less auto dependent and reducing traffic and sprawl in the bay area, rather than just connecting the two cities more effeciently. Make the cities themselves, more effecient first.

I can say this... there is talk about high speed rail for upstate NY. THIS is a perfect place for such an endeavor. Albany, Syracuse, Rochester especially, could be an hour to two hours from NYC. That includes Syracuse and rochester in the economy of the rest of the world as has not been the case before. For example, I have a meeting in March up in 'cuse - do I fly in? such a pain. Drive? its 5 hours. Train? Still 5 hours. If it were 2 hours, that is an easy day trip, even less than a day's trip to go there, have a meeting, come back and still make it to the office for a couple hours if need be. Such a connection would have a multiplier economic effect for cities and regions that have lost their manufacturing base, yet are located too far from major tier cities to have much of an economic drawo outside of their regional significance.LA to LV on the otherhand, Im not so convinced about... SF to LA would be nice, and there is an obvious connection there, but that would be money better spent on making LA less auto dependent and reducing traffic and sprawl in the bay area, rather than just connecting the two cities more effeciently. Make the cities themselves, more effecient first.
Seems like the money would be much better spent in creating a mass transit system for LA and a mass transit system for the Bay Area and make sure they have easy access to the airports. At some point down the road they can connect the two, but there aren't a lot of people that travel from SF to LA on a regular basis.Millions of people commute every day and noone likes sitting in traffic. Commuter rails is a no-brainer. SF has Bart which isn't bad but really should be extended to Marin and the Peninsula, but I don't think LA or San Diego has anything but a bus and a very limited light rail system.

So you didn't read the second link? It's all right there. For instance:
If approved, the Act would enable the state to issue

$9.95 billion in general obligation bonds to develop high-speed rail (HSR) in California.

Nine billion dollars would be used to fund the planning and construction of the high-

speed rail system, while the remaining $950 million dollars of the bond revenue would be

used for capital improvements to other passenger rail lines that would connect to the HSR

system. Heavy rail systems (e.g., the Los Angeles County Metro Rail and the Bay Area

Rapid Transit), commuter rail lines (e.g., Metrolink in the Los Angeles area and Caltrain

in the Bay Area), light rail systems (e.g., the San Diego Trolley and the San Francisco

Muni), and intercity rail would all benefit from capital improvements funded by the bond

measure
Or this:
Cambridge Systematics

calculated the benefits accruing in the Central Valley from reduced automobile delays to

be nearly $2 billion, while the reduction in air delays specific to the region would be a

relatively modest $2.6 million.
Those are specifics, not platitudes or generalities. There are plenty more facts, calculations and tables in that study as well you could discuss. If that's not good enough here's another study and another one and another one . I can see you're getting overly emotional about this, so I'll drop it.
If I'm getting emotional it's because you're wasting my time. There are no specifics. They say other systems would benefit. They don't say how or by how much. That's why it's a GENERALITY. I want to know what rail lines would connect to it, where (specifically) it will stop, how long it will take to get to those places. You know, specifics. The only specifics in anything I've read that you've posted is that it will cost 10 billion just as a start up figure. Saying it will go and will help is not specifics. BTW, I clicked on the last of your new links and the site doesn't exist. Please quit wasting my time.BTW, I take issue with your assertion that this is not just a long distance line. All the major metropolitan areas in CA already have regional rail. I took Metrolink and Amtrak daily for 2 years when I worked in downtown LA. We had people in my office that commuted via Amtrak from San Diego. San Francisco has BART. And I'm not sure what you're saying earlier where you say the 117 million is for the "entire system". According to the official California High Speed Train website,

The most recent ridership forecasts for the California High-Speed Train Project estimate between 88 – 117 million passengers annually by 2030 for the entire 800-mile high-speed train network connecting Sacramento, the San Francisco Bay Area, Central Valley, Los Angeles, Orange County, the Inland Empire, and San Diego.
I don't consider LA's redline or the other rail that already exists to be part of any high speed network so I have to assume they're talking only about the new portion they're building. This line will only benefit people going from So. Cal. to No. Cal., and that's if you can get them out of their cars and/or planes. And again, if you think 117 million people are going to ride the high speed rail network by 2030 you're high.

If I'm getting emotional it's because you're wasting my time. There are no specifics. They say other systems would benefit. They don't say how or by how much. That's why it's a GENERALITY. I want to know what rail lines would connect to it, where (specifically) it will stop, how long it will take to get to those places. You know, specifics. The only specifics in anything I've read that you've posted is that it will cost 10 billion just as a start up figure. Saying it will go and will help is not specifics. BTW, I clicked on the last of your new links and the site doesn't exist. Please quit wasting my time.
There are specifics in that study (I pointed out a couple, but you really should do your own reading at some point - it's silly to expect me to repost the content of entire studies), in the other studies I posted, and in all the documents and studies they list as references that actually do address what you're asking. I can't make you read the stuff though, and it seems that you consider that a waste of your time, you'd rather base your opinion off a brief article along with your anecdotal observations and yell at people about it. That's your prerogative, but it doesn't provide a compelling reason to take your viewpoint to heart. :shrug:

For rail to work, you need a comprehensive system that is designed holisitically. Building two or three lines in Los Angeles and expecting ridership to be robust is stupid. Build a system like New York which literally enables millions to not use (and many to not own) a car within the City (including the boroughs which would equate to more urban suburbs in other big cities) and provides a means not to use the car for commuting (and pleasure) to tens if not hundreds of thousands of others who live in the farther reaching suburbs. I can walk from my house 6 minutes to a train - that train takes me to Penn station. From there, not only is NY my oyster, but heck, I can go from almost my front door to washington DC or Boston without need of a car.
I agree with this completely. As a person who used to live where the Red Line (LA's POS subway) was supposed to terminate I was waiting patiently for the day I could get away from my car. It would have been beautiful but the idiots terminated it in Universal City and now because of demand, instead of finishing it up to where it was supposed to go, they built a Bus line to get you from where I lived to where they terminated the subway. Totally idiocy. And when I moved to Denver I purposely bought a house within walking distance of the local light rail. I can take light rail anywhere downtown including stops in front of all the major entertainment venues in Denver. It's awesome. And, as I already indicated, I took regional train to work in downtown LA for a couple of years. I'm a huge proponent. Building high speed rail from LA to San Francisco at a huge cost is doing it backwards. We need to develop the regional systems and then we can look in to something like that. And this particular bill is heavily flawed even if you favor a high speed rail line throughout California. As someone previously mentioned, how asinine is it that in LA you can't even take a rail line to the airport? Instead of this POS they should be building a subway or light rail to the airport. Some people don't focus on the issues; they focus on keywords like "hope" and "change", or in this case "rail". And that's Groovus. Not worrying about the details just the keywords.

If I'm getting emotional it's because you're wasting my time. There are no specifics. They say other systems would benefit. They don't say how or by how much. That's why it's a GENERALITY. I want to know what rail lines would connect to it, where (specifically) it will stop, how long it will take to get to those places. You know, specifics. The only specifics in anything I've read that you've posted is that it will cost 10 billion just as a start up figure. Saying it will go and will help is not specifics. BTW, I clicked on the last of your new links and the site doesn't exist. Please quit wasting my time.
There are specifics in that study (I pointed out a couple, but you really should do your own reading at some point - it's silly to expect me to repost the content of entire studies), in the other studies I posted, and in all the documents and studies they list as references that actually do address what you're asking. I can't make you read the stuff though, and it seems that you consider that a waste of your time, you'd rather base your opinion off a brief article along with your anecdotal observations and yell at people about it. That's your prerogative, but it doesn't provide a compelling reason to take your viewpoint to heart. :shrug:
Feel free to post the specifics I've requested. I'm not going to read those reports cover to cover because I skimmed them and don't see anywhere they talk about specific stops or specifically how this will help the existing local and regional rail systems. If it exists post it. I doubt you will though, not because you don't want to but because it doesn't exist.

I'll start getting scared when the venture capital and innovation centers move away from CA. Until then, the state will still be a leading (if not THE leading) economic player in the US.
:) Except that I feel like I must qualify this a little bit. By the time you start seeing the venture capital and innovation centers move away from CA, it's too late. Each time we raise taxes, we flirt with the line where moving makes sense and once we step over that line we can't just lower taxes a tad to get the people we lost back.

I can say this... there is talk about high speed rail for upstate NY. THIS is a perfect place for such an endeavor. Albany, Syracuse, Rochester especially, could be an hour to two hours from NYC. That includes Syracuse and rochester in the economy of the rest of the world as has not been the case before. For example, I have a meeting in March up in 'cuse - do I fly in? such a pain. Drive? its 5 hours. Train? Still 5 hours. If it were 2 hours, that is an easy day trip, even less than a day's trip to go there, have a meeting, come back and still make it to the office for a couple hours if need be. Such a connection would have a multiplier economic effect for cities and regions that have lost their manufacturing base, yet are located too far from major tier cities to have much of an economic drawo outside of their regional significance.LA to LV on the otherhand, Im not so convinced about... SF to LA would be nice, and there is an obvious connection there, but that would be money better spent on making LA less auto dependent and reducing traffic and sprawl in the bay area, rather than just connecting the two cities more effeciently. Make the cities themselves, more effecient first.
Seems like the money would be much better spent in creating a mass transit system for LA and a mass transit system for the Bay Area and make sure they have easy access to the airports. At some point down the road they can connect the two, but there aren't a lot of people that travel from SF to LA on a regular basis.Millions of people commute every day and noone likes sitting in traffic. Commuter rails is a no-brainer. SF has Bart which isn't bad but really should be extended to Marin and the Peninsula, but I don't think LA or San Diego has anything but a bus and a very limited light rail system.
Bingo. Use high speed rail to connect cities that are "out of the economy" due to their geographic location. i.e. upstate NY (and I am sure a number of other regions that have infrastructure internally to handle many more people, but due to structural changes in the economy such as loss of manufacturing, are underpopulated) - this becomes a tremendous national economic stimulus. But LA and SF are already connected pretty well. The juice is not worth the squeeze to make it easier to get from SF to LA - the juice IS worth the squeeze to make it easier to get from Claremont CA to Downtown LA to Santa Monica to the Airport to Century City. You have all these urban hubs - and no network other than roads to connect them. It's near criminal.

SF to LA would be nice, and there is an obvious connection there, but that would be money better spent on making LA less auto dependent and reducing traffic and sprawl in the bay area
:rant: I made a ####load of cash running a LA to SF line in Railroad Tycoon II

I agree with this completely. As a person who used to live where the Red Line (LA's POS subway) was supposed to terminate I was waiting patiently for the day I could get away from my car. It would have been beautiful but the idiots terminated it in Universal City and now because of demand, instead of finishing it up to where it was supposed to go, they built a Bus line to get you from where I lived to where they terminated the subway. Totally idiocy. And when I moved to Denver I purposely bought a house within walking distance of the local light rail. I can take light rail anywhere downtown including stops in front of all the major entertainment venues in Denver. It's awesome. And, as I already indicated, I took regional train to work in downtown LA for a couple of years. I'm a huge proponent. Building high speed rail from LA to San Francisco at a huge cost is doing it backwards. We need to develop the regional systems and then we can look in to something like that. And this particular bill is heavily flawed even if you favor a high speed rail line throughout California. As someone previously mentioned, how asinine is it that in LA you can't even take a rail line to the airport? Instead of this POS they should be building a subway or light rail to the airport. Some people don't focus on the issues; they focus on keywords like "hope" and "change", or in this case "rail". And that's Groovus. Not worrying about the details just the keywords.
i also purposefully chose my address due to its proximity with light rail. the light rail system is good but they really need to get it expanded west and northwest and all the way to DIA. it's perfect for people who work in the tech center or downtown as long as they live on the i-25 corridor or littleton. it's also perfect for people who like to go downtown and live down south. but they've got to get it expanded.

Good, maybe it'll force people to move out, head to Phoenix, and then buy my house! :pickle:
Home of the Mexican Drug War...no thanks.
Napolitano isn't governor anymore, so the new gov can close the border like her constituents want! Then again, Napolitano is now the head of Homeland (in)Security, so now we'll have open borders, and then the MDW can spread into every state evenly and it won't be as concentrated in AZ. So...buy my house! :excited:
And if you think 117 million people will EVER use this thing annually you're high and have lost all credibility.
They don't need 117 million people to ride it. All it'll take is one person riding it 117 million times. HTH :thumbup: * Phoenix got their own boondoggle light rail system (went live this past December, I believe), and it was already projected to lose money before the ground was broken.

BART is has seen an expansion to the airport and all the way down to Milbrae. Yet getting to the airport STILL takes me like an hour from North Oakland. Oh and whose bright idea was it to have a separate bus line connect from the Coliseum to Oakland Airport? It's OK as a commuter rail system, but the connections from the BART to other systems is really dumb.

What I'd love to see is SF develop a true subway system that makes neighborhoods more accessible... and have it link up with BART.

If you're riding BART, how do you get to Japantown? How do you get to Crissy Fields? Let me tell you, it's not that easy. The best way right now is to bring a bike. Plus there's the whole Sunset and Richmond districts that are totally inaccessible.

You're right, the vast majority of voters cannot be thought of as "educated voters" with enough information to make the decisions they're asked to. That's why we have a representative democracy. We vote in someone else who's full-time job is to understand this stuff and make the best decision. If he or she doesn't, we vote him out.Right now, our only recourse is to unify as a group of taxpayers and sue the hell out of Sacramento. Then vote in a measure to completely eliminate proposition balloting for all these pet pork projects."The People" just can't be trusted.
:bag: Finally someone gets it. I've been on a crusade the last 5-10 years with all my friends and family to vote NO on propositions. I'd love to eliminate proposition balloting -- complete BS.

I don't think you understand the geography of Upstate NY very well. Having a 2-hour train trip from Rochester to New York even under the most advanced rail system is highly unrealistic. And even if it were remotely possible, to achieve that time you would need individual rail lines built in straight lines from New York to each individual city in Upstate New York (instead of running through each city). Of course, in doing so you would have to traverse the very hilly Southern Tier which would make for astronomical costs on top of what is already a pie in the sky idea.Oh, and you also discount the fact that there is only a minimal economic or demographic connection between Upstate New York and New York City and thereby simply is so little demand or need for such a rail line.But, ya, it's still a fantastic idea.

Users who are viewing this thread