What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Californian's Rejoice! Your taxes are going UP UP UP! (1 Viewer)

Why don't we raise taxes so that we can pay teachers market rates and they can contribute to their own retirements, instead of enticing them to accept lower wages now with the generous pension programs?  
Cali has never been shy about raising taxes.  Y'all go right ahead.  It doesn't solve the historic underfunding of pensions, though, that exists currently.

Cali has never been shy about raising taxes.  Y'all go right ahead.  It doesn't solve the historic underfunding of pensions, though, that exists currently.
Liberals in California understand that in order to pay for services, we need to raise revenue.  Conservatives, including much of Southern California, are consistently in favor of lowering taxes.  Those who constantly argue to cut taxes don't also get to whine about the debts/deficits that result from their tax cutting efforts.  Well, technically they can whine, but it's extremely hollow. 

Liberals in California understand that in order to pay for services, we need to raise revenue.  Conservatives, including much of Southern California, are consistently in favor of lowering taxes.  Those who constantly argue to cut taxes don't also get to whine about the debts/deficits that result from their tax cutting efforts.  Well, technically they can whine, but it's extremely hollow. 
Liberals in CA have also dramatically over promised pensions and have run up fantastic debts that need to be plugged to fund those pensions.  These pension obligations have been part and parcel of the state and even the most liberal of localities for a long time.  

It's a spending problem, not a revenue problem.  Problem is that it's spending down the road, so it's easy to promise and ignore.

Love the solar mandate, but I've very disappointed that SB 827 flamed out.  Liberals opposing 827 are wrong on this issue and need to stop the NIMBYISM.   
The state has a very serious housing issue already that is causing major repercussions on a number of levels ranging from the loss of businesses, a decade plus long problem of net emigration patterns and an increase in the homeless population. And now we’re slapping an extra $20k on the cost of a new home. 

But, hey, we’ve got solar!

Why don't we raise taxes so that we can pay teachers market rates and they can contribute to their own retirements, instead of enticing them to accept lower wages now with the generous pension programs?  

Uhhhh..... they do.  My wife is a teacher and contributes a healthy portion of her paycheck towards her pension.  

You’re missing the other half of the equation... fiscal conservatives call for lowering taxes AND cutting services... neither of which have been pursued by the state on any sustained basis in 30+ years. 

I’m for all paying teachers market rates. Let’s disband the teachers union so we can make this happen.  :thumbup:
Because the downfall of unions has been such a success for the average worker.  School districts collude to offer X years of service to new hires, so when a teacher has been working for 10+ years even if they move to a district that offers higher pay they will likely go back to 5 years of service and take a massive pay cut.  In the private sector you are almost encouraged to jump around from job to job taking pay increases along the way.  Teachers get trapped where they are and if not for the union it'd be near impossible to negotiate pay raises.

Teachers aren’t the main pension problem anyhow. It’s prison guards and law enforcement. 

You want to help solve the pension problem in California? Pass a law that you don’t get to collect a pension while still earning the same amount or more from a private company. 

Teachers aren’t the main pension problem anyhow. It’s prison guards and law enforcement. 

You want to help solve the pension problem in California? Pass a law that you don’t get to collect a pension while still earning the same amount or more from a private company. 
And while teachers do contribute to their pensions it is my understanding police and firefighters do not. If I am wrong I hope someone corrects me. Police and firefighters stack OT in their finals years of service to hyperinflate their pensions

The state has a very serious housing issue already that is causing major repercussions on a number of levels ranging from the loss of businesses, a decade plus long problem of net emigration patterns and an increase in the homeless population. And now we’re slapping an extra $20k on the cost of a new home. 

But, hey, we’ve got solar!
I agree - this is a very good thing.  We shouldn't ignore energy and climate issues simply because NIMBYs are blocking housing developments. 

You’re missing the other half of the equation... fiscal conservatives call for lowering taxes AND cutting services... neither of which have been pursued by the state on any sustained basis in 30+ years. 
Yes!  Lets pay our teachers less!  

fiscal conservatives call for lowering taxes AND cutting services... 
What’s so disingenuous about this claim is that if conservatives were suddenly in charge of California they wouldn’t cut any spending. Because conservatives NEVER cut spending when they’re in charge of anything. They always talk about it but in the end they never do it because they have no idea what to cut and they’re terrified of how the public will react. And you know this is true, OC Zed. 

I wonder how much of this is tax versus this being primarily a cash business?  Think about all of the occupations that only accept cash and how much tax they pay.  
the article mentions a big hurdle: local municipalities have been given authority to grant permits to recreational dispensaries. as it stands now, there are only a handful of brick & mortar locations north of the GG Bridge. the reason the tax revenue is short of expectations, besides the black market, is there aren't many places open and selling to collect said revenue. i'd like to revisit 12 months from now to see how many places have opened to recreational cannabis sales. 

Tim,

Your are correct that we have created a political environment where even slowing down the proposed growth (most range in the 5-10% increase per year) is labeled as starving women and children, and all the other shock items the left can find.  So slowing growth is political suicide.

But for those of you that wonder why California is a ticking time bomb worse than anywhere else in the US with unfunded mandates, follow this link and look at these pension amounts the state/cities have to support prior to funding anything else.

https://transparentcalifornia.com/pensions/2017/

OC Zed said:
And then there's this...

Solar mandated on every new California home in 2020

Affordability is already a major issue here.  Adding another $20k (at least) on to the cost of a home is only going to make the problem worse.  Good job, California!
You know what is ironic, real estate is so expensive here and extra $20K really does not matter.  I personally would be indifferent when buying.  I am very conservative but don't mind this.  Our power grid is so stressed as it is why not. 

You know what is ironic, real estate is so expensive here and extra $20K really does not matter.  I personally would be indifferent when buying.  I am very conservative but don't mind this.  Our power grid is so stressed as it is why not. 
We have a massive power glut by day thanks to solar development and a shortage at night because we don't have ways to store it yet. Most of the country runs shortages by day and is fine at night. So we ship very cheap solar to Arizona and Nevada all day long. This new mandate addresses the problem requiring battery storage with the new installations. Huge storage installations are needed to make California's energy policy completely successful. It will happen and be a model for the rest of sunny earth to follow.

Dickies said:
Because the downfall of unions has been such a success for the average worker.  School districts collude to offer X years of service to new hires, so when a teacher has been working for 10+ years even if they move to a district that offers higher pay they will likely go back to 5 years of service and take a massive pay cut.  In the private sector you are almost encouraged to jump around from job to job taking pay increases along the way.  Teachers get trapped where they are and if not for the union it'd be near impossible to negotiate pay raises.
I’m not sure you understand how a free market works. 

And I’m damn sure this state doesn’t. 

timschochet said:
What’s so disingenuous about this claim is that if conservatives were suddenly in charge of California they wouldn’t cut any spending. Because conservatives NEVER cut spending when they’re in charge of anything. They always talk about it but in the end they never do it because they have no idea what to cut and they’re terrified of how the public will react. And you know this is true, OC Zed. 
I disagree with this as a blanket statement. And in the states and countries where this has actually been employed, the long term growth rates have exceeded the growth rates of the welfare states. 

Quint said:
the article mentions a big hurdle: local municipalities have been given authority to grant permits to recreational dispensaries. as it stands now, there are only a handful of brick & mortar locations north of the GG Bridge. the reason the tax revenue is short of expectations, besides the black market, is there aren't many places open and selling to collect said revenue. i'd like to revisit 12 months from now to see how many places have opened to recreational cannabis sales. 
This is also true, but Colorado also suffered the same issue of consumers staying with the black market largely because of taxes. 

Legalizing something for the sake of making money off it is really the ultimate fleecing a government can bestow upon its citizens. 

Users who are viewing this thread