What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Al Sharpton is at it again.... (1 Viewer)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/deadlineus...inistration-usa

Sharpton cries foul over NY Post's cartoon monkey businessNew York African-American leader has often been accused of stoking racial grievances. Is his criticism of a NY Post cartoon off the mark, or is the cartoon a racist shot at Obama?

This cartoon in the New York Post provoked some outrage from New York outrage-monger Al Sharpton today.

The cartoon by Sean Delonas is a reference to the police shooting Monday of Travis, a celebrity chimpanzee who had gone berserk and seriously injured a woman.

In a statement, Sharpton said:

The cartoon in today's New York Post is troubling at best given the historic racist attacks of African-Americans as being synonymous with monkeys. One has to question whether the cartoonist is making a less than casual reference to this when in the cartoon they have police saying after shooting a chimpanzee that "Now they will have to find someone else to write the stimulus bill."

Being that the stimulus bill has been the first legislative victory of President Barack Obama (the first African American president) and has become synonymous with him it is not a reach to wonder are they inferring that a monkey wrote the last bill?

We at the Guardian America office in Washington don't get the humor, and I find the cartoon rather inane. It is worth noting that congressional Democrats wrote the bill, not Obama or anyone in the White House. If the conservative New York Post is calling Harry Reid, Max Baucus and Nancy Pelosi a bunch of monkeys, is that worth Sharpton getting worked up about?

Meanwhile, Sharpton has a long history of stoking racial grievances (The Guardian's Oliver Burkeman described him in 2002 as "Despised by many, accused of exploiting every whisper of police brutality, of rubbing salt into racial wounds and inciting protesters to violence".) Check out this history of the Tawana Braley case.

What do you think? Is the cartoon a racist shot at Obama? A crack at congressional Democrats? Is Sharpton over the line? Is it funny? Does it make any sense at all?

I was all prepared to trash Rev Al here, a favorite past time of mine, but I kind of see his point. You have to admit with that caption they were begging for this.

This is why there is still "racism." Slime like Al Sharpton who push something like this as a racist jab at Obama. What a waste.

I don't know if this is racist because I don't get it. What does the stimulus bill have to do with the cops shooting that chimp? Is he calling Congress chimps? Maybe he is calling Obama a monkey. He combined two completely different events and I'm not sure how they tie in together.

Its a bad, unfunny cartoon and it may be racist.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if this is racist because I don't get it. What does the stimulus bill have to do with the cops shooting that chimp? Is he calling Congress chimps? Maybe he is calling Obama a monkey. He combined two completely different events and I'm not sure how they tie in together.Its a bad, unfunny cartoon and it may be racist.
Obama passed the stimulus bill and hes black. What dont you get?

I don't know if this is racist because I don't get it. What does the stimulus bill have to do with the cops shooting that chimp? Is he calling Congress chimps? Maybe he is calling Obama a monkey. He combined two completely different events and I'm not sure how they tie in together.Its a bad, unfunny cartoon and it may be racist.
Even if that wasn't the intent there was no way they couldn't see it being taken that way.

This cartoon obviously isn't racist, but it's also obviously the sort of thing that people like Al Sharpton are going to deliberately miscontrue. If I was an editor at the Post, I would have spiked this on the grounds that there's no reason to get stupid people all riled up.

You guys don't get it.

This joke is as about as politically PERFECT as you can get.

On one hand, the joke implies the old adage that if you put enough chimps in a room with typewriters they would be able to write War and Peace. Obviously insinuating the Stimulus Bill is novel-esque in it's size and depth. FWIW...this is what I believe they were insinuating.

On the other, the joke could imply that Obama is a Monkey.

I guess I'm just surprised if this dude really intended to be that overtly racist.

This cartoon obviously isn't racist, but it's also obviously the sort of thing that people like Al Sharpton are going to deliberately miscontrue. If I was an editor at the Post, I would have spiked this on the grounds that there's no reason to get stupid people all riled up.
Obviously? I don't think it's at all obvious. I would like to think that wasn't the intent but I am pretty smart and it sure smells bad to me.

I saw the link to the cartoon in the chimp thread.

I thought the cartoon was horribly stupid.

But race never entered my mind.

Obviously? I don't think it's at all obvious. I would like to think that wasn't the intent but I am pretty smart and it sure smells bad to me.
I actually sort of agree with your position on this that somebody at the Post should have recognized that this cartoon is subject to misinterpretation. That said, it seems clear to me that this cartoon is just saying "The stimulus bill was written by a bunch of monkeys." That's not racist. If anything, it sucks because it's a cliche.

I guess I'm just surprised if this dude really intended to be that overtly racist.
And I'm not surprised that certain people intended to deliberately misconstrue this because they are attention whores.

I actually sort of agree with your position on this that somebody at the Post should have recognized that this cartoon is subject to misinterpretation. That said, it seems clear to me that this cartoon is just saying "The stimulus bill was written by a bunch of monkeys." That's not racist. If anything, it sucks because it's a cliche.
Absolutely. And I can certainly see the other view but this was inflammatory and the editor had to recognize that. In fact my guess is they counted on it. All press is good press after all.

This is why there is still "racism." Slime like Al Sharpton who push something like this as a racist jab at Obama. What a waste.
yes, this is exactly why there is still racism:lmao:
Actually I believe Mooky is 100% correct.Until people are looked at as individuals, and not collectively put into groups (blacks, whites, gays, etc) there will always be racism.When people can look past collectivism we will finally be able to say "I hung out with this buddy of mine last night and...." instead of "I hung out with this white guy who I know from work last night and....". What's the difference? Nothing...but collectivism.People who 'fight' for one's "group" actually perpetuate racism.The lines between races can only be erased when individuality is king and people are judged by their character and not the color of their skin. Where have I heard that before???

So freedom of the press does not come into play anymore if a jagoff like Al Sharpton deems a political cartoon to throw a racist jab at his homeboy?

yes, this is exactly why there is still racism :rolleyes:
Actually I believe Mooky is 100% correct.Until people are looked at as individuals, and not collectively put into groups (blacks, whites, gays, etc) there will always be racism.

When people can look past collectivism we will finally be able to say "I hung out with this buddy of mine last night and...." instead of "I hung out with this white guy who I know from work last night and....". What's the difference? Nothing...but collectivism.

People who 'fight' for one's "group" actually perpetuate racism.

The lines between races can only be erased when individuality is king and people are judged by their character and not the color of their skin.

Where have I heard that before???
This.

That was my initial thought too.Prety much :rolleyes: on the whole thing. Then I remembered the monkey shooting incident. Just doesn't really seem to go together. I guess they are trying to say monkeys are in charge of government. How you take that will depend on the person.

So freedom of the press does not come into play anymore if a jagoff like Al Sharpton deems a political cartoon to throw a racist jab at his homeboy?
It got printed didn't it? And for the cheap seats Freedom of the Press is about freedom from governmental interference not Rev Al interference. There is also a freedom of speech that the Rev is exercising or doesn't that one matter?

While I'm far from a Bush fan, it's only fair to point out that he was portrayed as a monkey on many occasions.

Still, a little judgement would have been a good idea. And, more importantly, I agree, I think most of us could have written a funnier cartoon than that.

I don't know if this is racist because I don't get it. What does the stimulus bill have to do with the cops shooting that chimp? Is he calling Congress chimps? Maybe he is calling Obama a monkey. He combined two completely different events and I'm not sure how they tie in together.

Its a bad, unfunny cartoon and it may be racist.
That was my initial thought too.Prety much :rolleyes: on the whole thing. Then I remembered the monkey shooting incident. Just doesn't really seem to go together. I guess they are trying to say monkeys are in charge of government. How you take that will depend on the person.
The answer is HERE.

"Now they will have to find someone else to write the stimulus bill."

They are suggesting that a monkey wrote the stimulus bill. Did Obama write the stimulus bill? No, I didn't think so. Anyone who gets their dander up over this is incredibly hypersensitive. Had they said "now they will have to find someone else to SIGN the stimulus bill" I could see the issue. Otherwise it's simply a bunch of nimrods playing the "I'm offended" card.

It got printed didn't it? And for the cheap seats Freedom of the Press is about freedom from governmental interference not Rev Al interference. There is also a freedom of speech that the Rev is exercising or doesn't that one matter?
Personally, I'd be willing to sacrifice the occasional day of freedom of expression if it'd shut Al up. - Just sayin'.

I like the way you think NC. I just wish you weren't a leftie. :sad banana:

:lmao:

Obama didn't write the stimulus bill, Congress did. He's saying Congress is a bunch of monkeys, which isn't all that uncommon a moniker.

And people wonder why Al Sharpton gets the attention he does :lmao: .

yes, this is exactly why there is still racism :lmao:
Actually I believe Mooky is 100% correct.Until people are looked at as individuals, and not collectively put into groups (blacks, whites, gays, etc) there will always be racism.

When people can look past collectivism we will finally be able to say "I hung out with this buddy of mine last night and...." instead of "I hung out with this white guy who I know from work last night and....". What's the difference? Nothing...but collectivism.

The lines between races can only be erased when individuality is king and people are judged by their character and not the color of their skin.

This.
Damn civil rights leaders with their perpetuation of racism

Even if that wasn't the intent there was no way they couldn't see it being taken that way.
"Now they will have to find someone else to write the stimulus bill." They are suggesting that a monkey wrote the stimulus bill. Did Obama write the stimulus bill? No, I didn't think so. Anyone who gets their dander up over this is incredibly hypersensitive. Had they said "now they will have to find someone else to SIGN the stimulus bill" I could see the issue. Otherwise it's simply a bunch of nimrods playing the "I'm offended" card.
That's the crucial distinction. Nevertheless, I think the editor should have spiked it, because it was liable to misinterpretation.

"Now they will have to find someone else to write the stimulus bill." They are suggesting that a monkey wrote the stimulus bill. Did Obama write the stimulus bill? No, I didn't think not. Anyone who gets their dander up over this is incredibly hypersensitive. Had they said "now they will have to find someone else to SIGN the stimulus bill" I could see the issue. Otherwise it's simply a bunch of nimrods playing the "I'm offended" card.
Right. And Sharpton of all people knows this. But he's supposed to stand up for the rights of the black community. So, by and large, if he takes issue with something like this and causes enough of a stir there will be uproar from certain pockets of the black community (and just from the left in general). That doesn't make it legitimate or relevant or right or otherwise. It certainly doesn't make it newsworthy. It gets Sharpton attention - all he wants. Again, what a waste. Hey, we have a black president = a whole new set of material for Al Sharpton.

I posted a poll on this this morning before Al got involved.

While racism may or may not be the intention, can you blame people for being pissed? The Post deserves their just desserts here.

I found it racist and I hated the stimulus bill and am as right leaning as it gets. Not to mention, it's not even funny.

Black Label Society said "On one hand, the joke implies the old adage that if you put enough chimps in a room with typewriters they would be able to write War and Peace. Obviously insinuating the Stimulus Bill is novel-esque in it's size and depth." This may be true, but how many regular people have this level of sophistication to interpret this?

What was the joke or comic last year that had the R's all upset, and the Dems just said "the joke went over your head"? :thumbup:

yes, this is exactly why there is still racism :thumbup:

This.
Damn civil blacks' rights leaders with their perpetuation of racism
Fixed for truth.

I posted a poll on this this morning before Al got involved.While racism may or may not be the intention, can you blame people for being pissed? The Post deserves their just desserts here. I found it racist and I hated the stimulus bill and am as right leaning as it gets. Not to mention, it's not even funny. Black Label Society said "On one hand, the joke implies the old adage that if you put enough chimps in a room with typewriters they would be able to write War and Peace. Obviously insinuating the Stimulus Bill is novel-esque in it's size and depth." This may be true, but how many regular people have this level of sophistication to interpret this?
You found it racist, but that does not make it racist. And so what if it's a bad political cartoon?? The author made his point...you don't have to like it and you certainly don't have to read it. If you think this is racist, a- you don't get it and b- you are part of the problem.

I posted a poll on this this morning before Al got involved.While racism may or may not be the intention, can you blame people for being pissed? The Post deserves their just desserts here. I found it racist and I hated the stimulus bill and am as right leaning as it gets. Not to mention, it's not even funny. Black Label Society said "On one hand, the joke implies the old adage that if you put enough chimps in a room with typewriters they would be able to write War and Peace. Obviously insinuating the Stimulus Bill is novel-esque in it's size and depth." This may be true, but how many regular people have this level of sophistication to interpret this?
I see what you're saying, but do we have to 'dumb' down jokes so everybody gets it?

I love Al Sharpton because he riles up the simpletons. The simpletons unknowingly love him because he gives them someone to hate and allows them to take out their frustrations on (indirectly) for the shortcomings in their lives. Should be a 1st round pick in the greatest Americans draft. Go get'em Rev.

I was all prepared to trash Rev Al here, a favorite past time of mine, but I kind of see his point. You have to admit with that caption they were begging for this.
Agreed! Turn this into a poll and take everybodys pulse.

"Now they will have to find someone else to write the stimulus bill." They are suggesting that a monkey wrote the stimulus bill. Did Obama write the stimulus bill? No, I didn't think so. Anyone who gets their dander up over this is incredibly hypersensitive. Had they said "now they will have to find someone else to SIGN the stimulus bill" I could see the issue. Otherwise it's simply a bunch of nimrods playing the "I'm offended" card.
Winner.Too bad everybody else refuses to see it this way.

Users who are viewing this thread