What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tokyo (1 Viewer)

Fennis

Footballguy
It is a long way to travel for that short of a time, but my wife is suggesting we go to Tokyo from Seattle, for what will amount to 4 full days and 4 nights. Can you "do" Tokyo in that short of time?

For those that have been, what would be on the list of things to do for a quick trip like that? Neither of us have been to Japan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shimjuku -- fun nighttime area with lots of bars/pubs/restaurants;

Tsukiji fish market -- Early morning place to check out all the weird things fishermen catch in Japan;

Imperial Palace Garden -- I don't think you can go in, but it still looks impressive;

Meiji Shrine;

Shamuya Crossing -- busiest intersection in world? lots of neon -- many movie scenes, etc. filmed there;

Beisbol game if possible.

If I had 4 days in Japan, I'd prefer to spend two days in Tokyo, and take the bullet train to places like Kyoto, Himeji or Hiroshima the remaining two days.

Shimjuku -- fun nighttime area with lots of bars/pubs/restaurants;Tsukiji fish market -- Early morning place to check out all the weird things fishermen catch in Japan;Imperial Palace Garden -- I don't think you can go in, but it still looks impressive;Meiji Shrine;Shamuya Crossing -- busiest intersection in world? lots of neon -- many movie scenes, etc. filmed there;Beisbol game if possible.If I had 4 days in Japan, I'd prefer to spend two days in Tokyo, and take the bullet train to places like Kyoto, Himeji or Hiroshima the remaining two days.
Are any of the cities you mentioned close enough to do day trips? The hotel will be in Tokyo.

Shimjuku -- fun nighttime area with lots of bars/pubs/restaurants;Tsukiji fish market -- Early morning place to check out all the weird things fishermen catch in Japan;Imperial Palace Garden -- I don't think you can go in, but it still looks impressive;Meiji Shrine;Shamuya Crossing -- busiest intersection in world? lots of neon -- many movie scenes, etc. filmed there;Beisbol game if possible.If I had 4 days in Japan, I'd prefer to spend two days in Tokyo, and take the bullet train to places like Kyoto, Himeji or Hiroshima the remaining two days.
Are any of the cities you mentioned close enough to do day trips? The hotel will be in Tokyo.
All of them are possible, but Kyoto would be the easiest -- others would necessitate getting up really early.Now that I think about it, the add'l problem with the other two would be:Hiroshima -- 4 days in Japan, and you may not want to depress yourself for one;Himeji -- this is where the old TV movie 'Shogun' was filmed, so it is impressive, but would the wife want to take a longer trip for that?Definitely go to Kyoto, however.

All of them are possible, but Kyoto would be the easiest -- others would necessitate getting up really early.Now that I think about it, the add'l problem with the other two would be:Hiroshima -- 4 days in Japan, and you may not want to depress yourself for one;Himeji -- this is where the old TV movie 'Shogun' was filmed, so it is impressive, but would the wife want to take a longer trip for that?Definitely go to Kyoto, however.
Kyoto is a must and an easy day trip. That bullet train is pretty effing sweet. I'd spend the rest of your time in Tokyo. Don't spread yourself too thin.

Kyoto is a must and an easy day trip. That bullet train is pretty effing sweet. I'd spend the rest of your time in Tokyo. Don't spread yourself too thin.
That makes sense. Looks like it is only 3000 yen to kyoto for ordinary reserved. Seems cheap, maybe I am looking at regular rail.

That makes sense. Looks like it is only 3000 yen to kyoto for ordinary reserved. Seems cheap, maybe I am looking at regular rail.

It takes about 2.5 hours by Bullet train to Kyoto and costs around $120 (one way). I do recommend going there if possible . As for some other ideas, it really depends on what you want to experience.

going to an onsen (hot spring) would be a nice relaxing and very Japanese thing to do.

right now its the rainy season...when are you taking the trip?

Himeji is an easy day trip from Kyoto if you want to split those two out-of-Tokyo days up.I ate excellent restaurant meals (including Indian and Mexican) in Tokyo and Kyoto for no more than $25-30 each, and you can eat for much, much cheaper.

I guess I'm the lone voice in here that thinks that a 4-day trip to Japan might be too short of time. When you travel all that way, you might as well take 5 - 7 days (preferably 10 days by wrapping two weekends). If you are insisting on doing a 4-day trip though, think long and hard about doing the Kyoto day trip as you will be spending a decent amount of your day on the train in addition to dealing with possible fatigue from jet lag.

If you do end up in Kyoto, I would recommend taking one of the Sunrise bus tours around town. It's a quick and convenient way getting to all of the major sites with an English guide. And the tours aren't so structured that you have to follow the guide around the attractions... you are basically left to wander on your own and only hear/see the guide on the bus.

The Kyoto public bus system is inexpensive and does have recorded English announcements for each stop, but will take you 2 or 3 times as long to get to everywhere you want to go as the sites are not necessarily laid out all along one route.

how much does the japanese mcdonald's, burger king, etc cost compated to the american dollar??

and can anyone verify this little tidbit is true....because it is so crowded...males are legally allowed to urinate in public in a discrete manner????

TIA

I guess I'm the lone voice in here that thinks that a 4-day trip to Japan might be too short of time. When you travel all that way, you might as well take 5 - 7 days (preferably 10 days by wrapping two weekends). If you are insisting on doing a 4-day trip though, think long and hard about doing the Kyoto day trip as you will be spending a decent amount of your day on the train in addition to dealing with possible fatigue from jet lag.

If you do end up in Kyoto, I would recommend taking one of the Sunrise bus tours around town. It's a quick and convenient way getting to all of the major sites with an English guide. And the tours aren't so structured that you have to follow the guide around the attractions... you are basically left to wander on your own and only hear/see the guide on the bus.

The Kyoto public bus system is inexpensive and does have recorded English announcements for each stop, but will take you 2 or 3 times as long to get to everywhere you want to go as the sites are not necessarily laid out all along one route.
:thumbup: You're not the only one who thinks it's too short a time; why not go somewhere closer for this trip and take in Japan when you have more time? It is possibly do-able in four days, but if so I'd just stay in Tokyo and hit the other places another time. Plenty to keep you busy in Tokyo alone.

:( You're not the only one who thinks it's too short a time; why not go somewhere closer for this trip and take in Japan when you have more time? It is possibly do-able in four days, but if so I'd just stay in Tokyo and hit the other places another time. Plenty to keep you busy in Tokyo alone.
I think you both have a good point. That is the part that we are struggling with about doing this trip. We may wait until we can stay for longer, as chances are once we make a trip to Japan that will be it for a long while. We try to travel abroad once (once in a while twice) a year, but with the list of places we want to go, repeating places isn't likely to happen for many, many years.

going to an onsen (hot spring) would be a nice relaxing and very Japanese thing to do. right now its the rainy season...when are you taking the trip?
If we go, it will be September/October. It is still not 100%.
This is the best time of the year to go, IMO... you avoid the rain and mugginess of summer, the winter cold and the jacked up rates in spring for the cherry blossoms.

going to an onsen (hot spring) would be a nice relaxing and very Japanese thing to do. right now its the rainy season...when are you taking the trip?
the rain won't be as much of a problem, though September can still be pretty humid.I agree that there is enough to do around Tokyo and 4 days is way too little time to explore all the way to Kyoto. Some other common tourist areas not mentioned closer to Tokyo are...Mt. Fuji (september is a decent time to climb) and Kamakura (see the big buddha)Food will not be a problem....tons of variety to choose from.The Autumn Basho will be in September (see some real sumo)

Weather-wise, you're choosing an excellent time to go. But, I strongly urge you to consider spending more time if at all possible.

4 Days/Nights in Tokyo from Seattle equates to something different if you or your wife suffer badly from jetlag. Typically, flights from the States leave for Japan in the morning or early afternoon, which puts you in Tokyo in the afternoon of the next day. But if it must be 4 days/nights, here's how I would do it:

Day 1 (afternoon):

Sleep on the plane, if possible. You need to hit the ground runnin'--it's the only way to outrun jetlag. Get to the hotel, clean up, eat dinner, go drinking all night (I recommend The Moscow Mule--everyone knows how to make 'em over there), go to Tsukiji Fish Market at 4:30 in the morning, eat the best and freshest sushi you've ever had for breakfast while you're there, go back to the hotel and sleep for a few hours until you wake up to . . .

Day 2

Around Noon or 1pm, take a train (they're easy to follow) to any one or two of the the following Tokyo-based locales:

- Asakusa Shrine (nice shrine/temple district with good sukiyaki/ramen/soba joints).

- Meiji Shrine (the main shrine in Japan, next to the Harajuku train stop, Take####a street; you'll wanna come back to this stop on a Sunday if possible, because that's when the kids dress up all goth/nurse/clown/etc. and weird-like to hang in the park and parade down Take####a street. You'll wanna see this.)

- Shinjuku (lots of shopping, pachinko parlors, restaurants, bars. This place is electric with activity; Also, there's an EXCELLENT tempura restaurant called Tsunahachi that I recommend highly. I can't recall all the recommended bars in the area, but for late night karaoke (gaijin-style (open-air, no small private room)), I recommend a place called Bar Champion.)

- Shibuya Crossing (the busiest intersection in the world, lots of small electronics stores, bars, arcades, etc.)

- Roppongi (massive bar & club-centric neighborhood for late night carousing. There are a lot of foreigners, and quite a few hookers and Nigerians trying to get you into their strip clubs. I'd advise against talking to this people. I will, however, highly recommend you check out an Aussie bar called Geronimo!, at Roppongi crossing, on the second floor of the corner building.)

Day 3:

Wake up as early as possible (5 or 6 am), haul a## to Tokyo Station, catch a shinkansen (bullet train) to Kyoto. In Kyoto, visit:

- Sanjusangendo Temple

- Kinkaku-ji Temple (golden temple)

- Kiyomizu Shrine

- Ginkaku-ji Temple

If you have time, take the shinkansen further west to Himeji. Eat a light lunch on the train. You can get decent sushi/noodles/etc. at any convenience store. A short walk from Himeji station, you'll see Himeji Castle. Higgins was right, they filmed Shogun, You Only Live Twice, and all sorts of other Japan-based movies here. See the castle, the garden next to it (if there's time, which I doubt you'll have), get back to the train and either head back to Tokyo, or stop for a steak dinner in Kobe (pm me for good Kobe Beef steak houses--I lived there and know it very well). Then, go back to Tokyo, get a good night sleep.

Day 4:

Sleep in, check out all the places you missed on Day Two, get some shopping in at Ginza, some casual meals, etc.

If you're gonna use the bullet train to go to Kyoto, I'd ordinarily recommend you and your wife each get a Japan Rail Pass. Unfortunately, the smallest one is a 7-day pass, so you'll need to calculate whether you'll save loot when it comes to taking bullet trains and local subways (one-way Tokyo-Kyoto is about $125). If you're not gonna use a bullet train, however, you're better off paying as you go.

Again, I strongly urge you to consider staying longer so you can take in Nara, Kobe, Tokyo, Hiroshima, Kyoto, stay at a ryokan, etc. I recently moved back from Japan after 3+ years and can give you recs for restaurants/things to see & do in most of these places. I haven't been on the boards much since I moved back, but feel free to PM me for details/questions/etc and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Some good info in here. I just booked a trip to Tokyo for June. Will be there for 7 days 6 nights. I know its not a ton of time, but it will have to do. Any suggestions are welcomed!! Looking for nightlife tips, food tips and sightseeing.

we didn't go. :goodposting: After going to Asia (Thailand) last month, the next international trip will likely be Italy in 2012. Tokyo has moved down the list. Sorry Japan!

Rocky Dennis said:
be prepared to spend $300-400 on a decent meal for 2. It's so fcuking expensive and this comes from someone that lives in Manhattan. Best bet is to get your fill at the little noodle shops. Any decent restaurant will cost you some major coin.
I passed up tickets from LAX for $632 because the exchange rate so horrible. I really want to go to Japan but not with the exchange rate. I may be waiting awhile but I'll wait until it's at least 100 Yen/$.

cstu said:
Rocky Dennis said:
be prepared to spend $300-400 on a decent meal for 2. It's so fcuking expensive and this comes from someone that lives in Manhattan. Best bet is to get your fill at the little noodle shops. Any decent restaurant will cost you some major coin.
I passed up tickets from LAX for $632 because the exchange rate so horrible. I really want to go to Japan but not with the exchange rate. I may be waiting awhile but I'll wait until it's at least 100 Yen/$.
thats a very good price. we paid $1200 for our non stop via EWR.

Question about Kyoto. We will be in Tokyo for 6 days 7 nights. We are planning on going to Kyoto, but im debating on doing a day trip or staying overnight in Kyoto for a night. Thoughts? Could we do a day trip to Kyoto and get in the sunrise tour to all the major sites?

Also, are there any other cool places we should consider doing day trips to?

Thanks.

Question about Kyoto. We will be in Tokyo for 6 days 7 nights. We are planning on going to Kyoto, but im debating on doing a day trip or staying overnight in Kyoto for a night. Thoughts? Could we do a day trip to Kyoto and get in the sunrise tour to all the major sites?

Thanks.
You could make a day trip to Kyoto, but if you'll be in Tokyo for 7 nights anyway, I'd definitely spend 1 night in Kyoto (though I couldn't help with hotel recommendations). While I'm no expert on Kyoto, I saw the following 3 things,and would highly recommend them:
[*]Kinkakuji Temple of the Golden Pavillion

[*]Sanjusangendo Temple

[*]Kiyomizu Temple

Thanks.
You could make a day trip to Kyoto, but if you'll be in Tokyo for 7 nights anyway, I'd definitely spend 1 night in Kyoto (though I couldn't help with hotel recommendations). While I'm no expert on Kyoto, I saw the following 3 things,and would highly recommend them:
[*]Kinkakuji Temple of the Golden Pavillion

[*]Sanjusangendo Temple

[*]Kiyomizu Temple
Thanks. Did you stay at a Ryokan when you went? Can you recommend any that are in town but authentic?

- Roppongi (massive bar & club-centric neighborhood for late night carousing. There are a lot of foreigners, and quite a few hookers and Nigerians trying to get you into their strip clubs. I'd advise against talking to this people. I will, however, highly recommend you check out an Aussie bar called Geronimo!, at Roppongi crossing, on the second floor of the corner building.)
:thumbup: This place is crazy

Been to Tokyo twice for work. Awesome place, I'm a huge fan. My favorites are the following:

- Tokyo Dome (I stayed at the Tokyo Dome Hotel, small ### rooms but location is fantastic) - Go see a baseball game if you can. Great time. Players have 3 numbers on their jerseys, they don't announce pitching changes (It would be considered embarassing to the pitcher who had to be relieved), sushi and beer at the game, cheap tickets and good seats.

- Do a city bus tour. Great time, and very cost efficient way to see the highlights and not pay for the subway/taxis (which are ridiculously expensive) all day. On mine I was able to see the Imperial Palace, the Asakusa temples, Tokyo Tower (which is great, hope you get to see the acrobatic monkey outside), and drops you off at Ginza, which is the high end shopping district. See the Sony store there, it's incredible and they have stuff out that's not on sale to the general public yet. Tour guides are great too, so you'll learn something along the way.

- Shibuya is pretty cool, the intersection is a must see/experience.

- If you're into electronics, do not miss the Akihabara district. I've never seen anything like it in my life, amazing, just endless array of electronics shops.

- Roppongi to get drinks/dinner/party. Great time, endless good bars and restaurants there. As common sense would dictate, avoid anyone who approaches you to go to their bar. It's a scam.

- If you have time, get the high speed train to Osaka (the "Shinkansen"). Just the shinkansen experience itself is pretty cool, and Osaka is the second biggest city in Japan, and is just as good of a time as Tokyo is.

- As far as meals, I had a 25/35/65 USD breakfast, lunch, and dinner upper limits. In the two times I went, I can only remember hitting the limit once with a group of people, and we ate and drank well. So I think you'll be OK on meals.

You have to let me know if they still have Pachinko arcades everywhere. That made me laugh, the Japanese love their Pachinko and it seems like it's literally everywhere.

Have a great time and enjoy!

P.S. - If you're near the Tokyo Dome, they have simulcast horse racing on the big screen as you walk across the bridge to the Tokyo Dome. It looks like 40 horses go off on every race, makes me laugh every time.

'kupcho1 said:
tell me more about this place? is it good for happy hour? or abetter late night?

'mquinnjr said:
Been to Tokyo twice for work. Awesome place, I'm a huge fan. My favorites are the following:- Tokyo Dome (I stayed at the Tokyo Dome Hotel, small ### rooms but location is fantastic) - Go see a baseball game if you can. Great time. Players have 3 numbers on their jerseys, they don't announce pitching changes (It would be considered embarassing to the pitcher who had to be relieved), sushi and beer at the game, cheap tickets and good seats.- Do a city bus tour. Great time, and very cost efficient way to see the highlights and not pay for the subway/taxis (which are ridiculously expensive) all day. On mine I was able to see the Imperial Palace, the Asakusa temples, Tokyo Tower (which is great, hope you get to see the acrobatic monkey outside), and drops you off at Ginza, which is the high end shopping district. See the Sony store there, it's incredible and they have stuff out that's not on sale to the general public yet. Tour guides are great too, so you'll learn something along the way.- Shibuya is pretty cool, the intersection is a must see/experience.- If you're into electronics, do not miss the Akihabara district. I've never seen anything like it in my life, amazing, just endless array of electronics shops.- Roppongi to get drinks/dinner/party. Great time, endless good bars and restaurants there. As common sense would dictate, avoid anyone who approaches you to go to their bar. It's a scam.- If you have time, get the high speed train to Osaka (the "Shinkansen"). Just the shinkansen experience itself is pretty cool, and Osaka is the second biggest city in Japan, and is just as good of a time as Tokyo is.- As far as meals, I had a 25/35/65 USD breakfast, lunch, and dinner upper limits. In the two times I went, I can only remember hitting the limit once with a group of people, and we ate and drank well. So I think you'll be OK on meals.You have to let me know if they still have Pachinko arcades everywhere. That made me laugh, the Japanese love their Pachinko and it seems like it's literally everywhere.Have a great time and enjoy! P.S. - If you're near the Tokyo Dome, they have simulcast horse racing on the big screen as you walk across the bridge to the Tokyo Dome. It looks like 40 horses go off on every race, makes me laugh every time.
Thanks. GOod info. We are debating about doing a bus tour or going at it ourselves. THere is a package where you can get the limo bus from the airport to your hotel and you get 2 unlimited subway day passes which would be helpful when touring. Just we would have to do some serious planning prior to it, where the bus tour would already be done. Which tour did you use?

'kupcho1 said:
Double :thumbup: . WE had a group of about 20 in that tiny place last year. My first round cost something like 12,000 yen! Great times, love Tokyo!

'kupcho1 said:
tell me more about this place? is it good for happy hour? or abetter late night?
Late night. It's a shot bar. There's a drum they bang when someone buys a round of shots for the house (which isn't that big, but still ...). There was a lot of drum banging that night. And a lot of shots. Good times.

'kupcho1 said:
Late night. It's a shot bar. There's a drum they bang when someone buys a round of shots for the house (which isn't that big, but still ...). There was a lot of drum banging that night. And a lot of shots. Good times.
so they only serve shots? will there be lots of wimmins in there?

'mquinnjr said:
Been to Tokyo twice for work. Awesome place, I'm a huge fan. My favorites are the following:

- Tokyo Dome (I stayed at the Tokyo Dome Hotel, small ### rooms but location is fantastic) - Go see a baseball game if you can. Great time. Players have 3 numbers on their jerseys, they don't announce pitching changes (It would be considered embarassing to the pitcher who had to be relieved), sushi and beer at the game, cheap tickets and good seats.

- Do a city bus tour. Great time, and very cost efficient way to see the highlights and not pay for the subway/taxis (which are ridiculously expensive) all day. On mine I was able to see the Imperial Palace, the Asakusa temples, Tokyo Tower (which is great, hope you get to see the acrobatic monkey outside), and drops you off at Ginza, which is the high end shopping district. See the Sony store there, it's incredible and they have stuff out that's not on sale to the general public yet. Tour guides are great too, so you'll learn something along the way.

- Shibuya is pretty cool, the intersection is a must see/experience.

- If you're into electronics, do not miss the Akihabara district. I've never seen anything like it in my life, amazing, just endless array of electronics shops.

- Roppongi to get drinks/dinner/party. Great time, endless good bars and restaurants there. As common sense would dictate, avoid anyone who approaches you to go to their bar. It's a scam.

- If you have time, get the high speed train to Osaka (the "Shinkansen"). Just the shinkansen experience itself is pretty cool, and Osaka is the second biggest city in Japan, and is just as good of a time as Tokyo is.

- As far as meals, I had a 25/35/65 USD breakfast, lunch, and dinner upper limits. In the two times I went, I can only remember hitting the limit once with a group of people, and we ate and drank well. So I think you'll be OK on meals.

You have to let me know if they still have Pachinko arcades everywhere. That made me laugh, the Japanese love their Pachinko and it seems like it's literally everywhere.

Have a great time and enjoy!

P.S. - If you're near the Tokyo Dome, they have simulcast horse racing on the big screen as you walk across the bridge to the Tokyo Dome. It looks like 40 horses go off on every race, makes me laugh every time.
Excellent post! Baseball games are a tremendous experience...although the thing I remember the most is walking out of the game and seeing all kinds of crazy electronics that people had forgotten as they left their seats after the game. Tiny cell phones and all sorts of other gear that made what we all have here look like we are holding rotary phones up to our ears. :) About the only thing I might add would be Fuji-san...how does that old saying go? "A wise man climbs Mt. Fuji once. Only a fool climbs it twice." (?) I also enjoyed my time in Zushi, about 50 minutes outside Tokyo. Though I don't remember it having much night life to speak of. Just a nice, slower-pace (if that is possible that close to Tokyo) community with views of Fuji out over the water.

Thanks. GOod info. We are debating about doing a bus tour or going at it ourselves. THere is a package where you can get the limo bus from the airport to your hotel and you get 2 unlimited subway day passes which would be helpful when touring. Just we would have to do some serious planning prior to it, where the bus tour would already be done. Which tour did you use?
I would take the package with the airport ride and subway passes. Getting to your hotel from the airport with your luggage can be a major headache, so door-to-door service is great. And the subway system is reasonably priced and easy to get around on - all of the stops are announced in English and you should be able to find an English map. The one caveat is that you need to verify that the subway pass is good for all of the subway lines (or at least the ones you want). Tokyo has multiple subway lines that are run independently. You can still transfer lines at various stations, but they'll charge separate fares.

'mquinnjr said:
Been to Tokyo twice for work. Awesome place, I'm a huge fan. My favorites are the following:- Tokyo Dome (I stayed at the Tokyo Dome Hotel, small ### rooms but location is fantastic) - Go see a baseball game if you can. Great time. Players have 3 numbers on their jerseys, they don't announce pitching changes (It would be considered embarassing to the pitcher who had to be relieved), sushi and beer at the game, cheap tickets and good seats.- Do a city bus tour. Great time, and very cost efficient way to see the highlights and not pay for the subway/taxis (which are ridiculously expensive) all day. On mine I was able to see the Imperial Palace, the Asakusa temples, Tokyo Tower (which is great, hope you get to see the acrobatic monkey outside), and drops you off at Ginza, which is the high end shopping district. See the Sony store there, it's incredible and they have stuff out that's not on sale to the general public yet. Tour guides are great too, so you'll learn something along the way.- Shibuya is pretty cool, the intersection is a must see/experience.- If you're into electronics, do not miss the Akihabara district. I've never seen anything like it in my life, amazing, just endless array of electronics shops.- Roppongi to get drinks/dinner/party. Great time, endless good bars and restaurants there. As common sense would dictate, avoid anyone who approaches you to go to their bar. It's a scam.- If you have time, get the high speed train to Osaka (the "Shinkansen"). Just the shinkansen experience itself is pretty cool, and Osaka is the second biggest city in Japan, and is just as good of a time as Tokyo is.- As far as meals, I had a 25/35/65 USD breakfast, lunch, and dinner upper limits. In the two times I went, I can only remember hitting the limit once with a group of people, and we ate and drank well. So I think you'll be OK on meals.You have to let me know if they still have Pachinko arcades everywhere. That made me laugh, the Japanese love their Pachinko and it seems like it's literally everywhere.Have a great time and enjoy! P.S. - If you're near the Tokyo Dome, they have simulcast horse racing on the big screen as you walk across the bridge to the Tokyo Dome. It looks like 40 horses go off on every race, makes me laugh every time.
To be honest I forget the name of it, but I got it through my hotel. If you ask the front desk at your hotel they should be able to help you out. Even though I was there once for 3 weeks and another time for 2 weeks, I really only had the weekends to myself to sight see. The tour is an awesome way to hit all the highlights, have them transport you around, and learn from the guide. I'd highly recommend given your timeframe, which is similar to what mine was. Good luck and enjoy!

'mquinnjr said:
To be honest I forget the name of it, but I got it through my hotel. If you ask the front desk at your hotel they should be able to help you out. Even though I was there once for 3 weeks and another time for 2 weeks, I really only had the weekends to myself to sight see. The tour is an awesome way to hit all the highlights, have them transport you around, and learn from the guide. I'd highly recommend given your timeframe, which is similar to what mine was. Good luck and enjoy!
Yea i think this is the route we are going to take. we will do this on our first full day and double back to places we want to see more of, or add on stuff the tour missed.

:goodposting:

Bumping this as im headed back to Tokyo. Anyone been to the top Sushi places such as Sushi Saito or Jiro's?
I would love to try Jiro's sometimes. Seems crazy to drop $300 on twenty pieces of fish, but that guy is an obsessed perfectionist who will give you the best possible sushi experience.

Bumping this as im headed back to Tokyo. Anyone been to the top Sushi places such as Sushi Saito or Jiro's?
I would love to try Jiro's sometimes. Seems crazy to drop $300 on twenty pieces of fish, but that guy is an obsessed perfectionist who will give you the best possible sushi experience.
Indeed. Plus, he is pretty old, so its now or never. I've been debating between the two. Both are supposed to be outstanding. I hear Jiro's sons place is very good as well.

Timely bump, my wife and I never made it there. However, looks like I am going to Japan for work for about a week. What's the best way to get around Osaka and Tokyo? Can I just do taxis from my hotel to my meetings and back? Do taxis take AmEx or do I need to get Yen?

How about travelling from Tokyo to Osaka... bullet train or fly?

Indeed. Plus, he is pretty old, so its now or never. I've been debating between the two. Both are supposed to be outstanding. I hear Jiro's sons place is very good as well.
I can't imagine anyone could tell the difference between the son's place or the fathers, he trained under him for decades.

Timely bump, my wife and I never made it there. However, looks like I am going to Japan for work for about a week. What's the best way to get around Osaka and Tokyo? Can I just do taxis from my hotel to my meetings and back? Do taxis take AmEx or do I need to get Yen?

How about travelling from Tokyo to Osaka... bullet train or fly?
I would get JR's weeks pass. That would give you access to bullet train to Osaka plus all JR's local network of trains and buses which is quite extensive. JR is the most English friendly of the train companies. Taxi's will be expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread