What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tokyo (1 Viewer)

gruecd

Footballguy
Hey guys, headed to Tokyo in a couple of months to run the marathon. Already found a lot of helpful information online, but I thought I'd check in here, too, and see if I could pick up any additional pointers. We're flying into Haneda and spending 5 nights at Cerulean Tower Tokyu Hotel in Shibuya, and then we'll catch a train to Kyoto and spend 3 nights at Cross Hotel Kyoto before heading back to Tokyo and flying home from Narita. Right now the only change I'm contemplating is leaving Kyoto a day earlier and spending a night in Osaka, but otherwise the travel schedule is pretty much set.

Now I'm just looking to can't miss things to do and stuff along those lines. I do know I'm super excited to bring back a bunch of bourbon that's unavailable in the US and can literally be delivered to my Tokyo hotel on Amazon.

I do know I'm super excited to bring back a bunch of bourbon that's unavailable in the US and can literally be delivered to my Tokyo hotel on Amazon.
Just remember you'll need to bring those bottles back in your luggage since you won't be able to carry them on. So steal a hotel towel to wrap them in. :D

Also, if you aren't a frequent international traveler, don't use the currency exchange places, just use the ATM. Any fees you may be charged will be much less than the baked-in fees in the exchange rate you get.

I do know I'm super excited to bring back a bunch of bourbon that's unavailable in the US and can literally be delivered to my Tokyo hotel on Amazon.
Just remember you'll need to bring those bottles back in your luggage since you won't be able to carry them on. So steal a hotel towel to wrap them in. :D

Also, if you aren't a frequent international traveler, don't use the currency exchange places, just use the ATM. Any fees you may be charged will be much less than the baked-in fees in the exchange rate you get.
Yeah, my wife is from Poland, so I'm no stranger to international travel. We get two free checked bags each with the airfare we purchased on ANA, so one will be all towels and bubble wrap. :)

Just finishing up a 7-day trip to Tokyo (we fly back today). Will update this thread later with the stuff we did and our thoughts. It will be pretty much limited to Tokyo, though, as we spent all our time here except for a one day tour to Mt. Fuji and the Shrine in Hakone. What are the ages of the folks who will be with you?

I'd definitely hit Osaka as you can easily knock out Kyoto in a day or two....Still amazed by the subways that are quieter than your local public library. If only NYC could implement such a system.

Last edited:
Waiting until there’s a response with ages of your travelers before listing everything, but if everyone is of driving age, the MarioKart tour is an absolute must. So so fun, but also not for the faint of heart as you are driving go carts in Tokyo traffic with cars and taxis and such. I’d strongly recommend doing it after dark so you can see the city lights (that’s what we did). Our tour was in and around Tokyo Skytree in the Sumida area, though the company we used (Monkey Kart) has one in Shinjuku as well. An absolute blast and a pretty darn exhilarating sight seeing tour. Did I mention you dress up in costume?

IMPORTANT NOTE: All participants must have an International Driving Permit (IDP) which you can get at a local AAA branch for around $20. They won’t let you participate if you don’t have an IDP.

Just finishing up a 7-day trip to Tokyo (we fly back today). Will update this thread later with the stuff we did and our thoughts. It will be pretty much limited to Tokyo, though, as we spent all our time here except for a one day tour to Mt. Fuji and the Shrine in Hakone. What are the ages of the folks who will be with you?
Just my wife and me (47 & 41). Leaving our kid at home with the grandparents.

I have a work trip to China planned for just after Chinese New Year. Thinking about extending my trip to take a long weekend in Japan or Korea (or even some place else). I've never been to either country.

I went for just over a couple of weeks in October. A couple of notes -

- I would highly recommend at least a night in Osaka. It is quite a bit more modern than Kyoto and a blast!

- The majority of good whiskey now goes straight to China. Good luck finding anything decent. I talked to a couple different locals that confirmed this. Alcohol is crazy cheap there. If you like sake, I would recommend loading up in Kyoto.

Waiting until there’s a response with ages of your travelers before listing everything, but if everyone is of driving age, the MarioKart tour is an absolute must. So so fun, but also not for the faint of heart as you are driving go carts in Tokyo traffic with cars and taxis and such. I’d strongly recommend doing it after dark so you can see the city lights (that’s what we did). Our tour was in and around Tokyo Skytree in the Sumida area, though the company we used (Monkey Kart) has one in Shinjuku as well. An absolute blast and a pretty darn exhilarating sight seeing tour. Did I mention you dress up in costume?

IMPORTANT NOTE: All participants must have an International Driving Permit (IDP) which you can get at a local AAA branch for around $20. They won’t let you participate if you don’t have an IDP.
That's hilarious. I'd go just for that.

I'd been planning on this (heard the same from others), but your post was a good reminder. Booked a spot this morning.

- I would highly recommend at least a night in Osaka. It is quite a bit more modern than Kyoto and a blast!

- The majority of good whiskey now goes straight to China. Good luck finding anything decent. I talked to a couple different locals that confirmed this. Alcohol is crazy cheap there. If you like sake, I would recommend loading up in Kyoto.
Last I checked, you could still get Blanton's Red (for example) on Japanese Amazon.

Just my wife and me (47 & 41). Leaving our kid at home
congratulations on the kid :thumbup:

Last I checked, you could still get Blanton's Red (for example) on Japanese Amazon.
If you can do that, make it happen! I tried Blanton's black and decided not to buy as it's a bit weaker than the US version. I saw a bottle of Blanton's Gold, but didn't want to pony up the $180.

I'd been planning on this (heard the same from others), but your post was a good reminder. Booked a spot this morning.

Awesome! You’ll have fun!!

Just my wife and me (47 & 41). Leaving our kid at home with the grandparents.

Okay, some of this stuff may not be for you as we had a 21-year-old in tow with some different interests, but here’s what we did with very quick feedback. If there is something that intrigues you, let me know and I can provide more detail. The cool thing about Tokyo is that even with the most touristy stuff, most of the tourists are Japanese nationals, so it still feels like a uniquely Japanese experience.

Mt. Fuji/Hakone Tour - a well-organized guided bus tour to see Mt. Fuji, the shrine in Hakone and a few other sights. Definitely felt rushed, but it’s a good way to fit it all into one day.

MarioKart Tour - a total blast and you’ve already booked it.

Tokyo Skytree - pretty cool if you enjoy observation decks in big cities. These types of things are pretty ho hum to me, but I guess it was cool to see the sheer size and scope of Tokyo.

Skytree mall - good place for shopping. My wife bought three beautiful obis for cheap, cheap, cheap, and there are lots of other cool shops. Snacks galore as well.

Ramen Alley - if you find yourself in Tokyo station for anything and you like ramen, grab a ramen at one of the 8 ramen shops in “Ramen Alley” with all the commuters. Great food and a cool local experience.

Sunshine City Mall - You can probably skip this one. We went because it has huge Pokémon and anime stores. That said, the tonkatsu restaurant there is the bomb.

TeamLab Planets is a multi-sensory art installation that is super cool. Best not to explain it, but definitely worth going if you like cool artsy stuff.

Shinjuku at Night - This is where we stayed for the week. Shinjuku is the cool scene for bars, restaurants and other entertainment - it’s the district with all the neon lights. Great for people-watching, eating and drinking. If you are inclined, you can hit some pachinko halls and Game Panic (a big arcade with tons of claw games for everything from toys, to food, to electronics).

Shibuya - Shibuya crossing is a pretty famous intersection - think Times Square. I was a little underwhelmed. That said, when we walked out of the adjacent station, I immediately recognized that I was standing where they filmed one of the opening sequences in Alice in Borderland, which is one of my favorite all time series, so that was cool to me.

Pet Cafes - If you or the Ms. are into animals, these are fun. We went to a hedgehog cafe and spent an hour playing with and feeding hedgehogs. They have them for all sorts of animals - otters, cats, puppies, etc.

Tokyo DisneySea - wasn’t high on my list, but we had a lot of days in Tokyo and a friend of a friend is an executive with Disney. When I saw that DisneySea (different than Tokyo Disney) was consistently ranked as the best Disney park in the world, we figured it was worth a stop. We really enjoyed it. The park is extremely well designed (nautical themes) with cool food options throughout. And the Japanese love their Disney - again, great people watching.

Gonpachi Nishiazabu - we went to a lot of different restaurants but this one is worth mentioning. Great meal, but the kicker for this Kill Bill fanatic is that it’s the restaurant where they filmed the House of Blue Leaves fight with O-Ren. I was totally geeking out the whole time I was there.

In addition to the above, we just did a lot of exploring, walking around and stopping by little shops, food stands, bars, etc. Shinjuku in particular is a great area for this.

The above itinerary was largely curated for a twenty-something with a love for all things anime, so maybe others may have some better suggestions.

Last edited:
BUT HERE IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PIECE OF VALUABLE INFORMATION I CAN PROVIDE - IF YOU HAVEN’T ALREADY, DOWNLOAD THE JAPAN TRAVEL APP.

Getting around Tokyo (and Japan generally) involves a combination of trains, subways, rail, taxis and walking. This app helps route everything for you telling you where to be and when. The mass transit system is confusing at first, but using this app, you will get the hang of it in no time. We would have been lost without this app and it would have taken us twice as long to get anywhere.

^ ….on the commute/travel subject: you need to purchase the bullet train passes online in advance of your trip (at least that used to be the case) so don’t forget to get on that.

If you are there during baseball season (starts in March I believe) I can't recommend getting to a game enough. I was there several years ago with my wife and small kids (5 and 7 I think?). I got a day pass from the wife to hop on a train down to Osaka for the day and return later that night. Holy hell that was an experience. We were down in Kyoto, so it was just a 20 minute train ride. So fun. I want to do it again (and I am hardly a baseball fan these days)

If you can catch a sumo match while you are there, that is a must (went to a bunch as a kid). That was the one major disappointment regarding the timing of our trip (that and the lack of cherry blossoms).

Users who are viewing this thread