What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I just climbed Kilimanjaro - now with pics (1 Viewer)

I made it! Connection was horrible up on the mountain, so I had 9 days with basically no internet, no shower, and no alcohol. Yeah, that’s right up my alley…

I’ll post pics when I get back to the states. But it was the most incredible experience of my life! Such a great time!!

I made it! Connection was horrible up on the mountain, so I had 9 days with basically no internet, no shower, and no alcohol. Yeah, that’s right up my alley…

I’ll post pics when I get back to the states. But it was the most incredible experience of my life! Such a great time!!
Amazing and congrats, GB.

Awesome GB - congrats!

Congratulations

Who cares if you made it to the top of the mountain...........we want to know if you made it to the top of the "mountains".........

(awesome for you to have that experience)

I took daily notes. Each day isn’t too long, but all together it’s pretty long. But here they are. Pics will have to wait until I get back. Sorry for the extremely long post, but I’m not sure of the best way to do this.

Day -1: 30 hours of travel. Finally landed in Kilimanjaro. Customs and luggage was a breeze. Driver took me to hotel in Moshi, one hour away. It’s 9 AM. Town is a little ways away, and I’m tired. Drinking coffee in the outdoor restaurant at the hotel. Will just spend the day relaxing and get to bed early. AC not working - hoping they fix it…

They fixed the AC.

Met my travel matrons - Heather and Zakiya. They are super cool. From Chicago and the Netherlands.

Day 0: Met our guides Shabaani (head guide) and Gaudence. Really good guys. Shabai had summited over 300 times! Gaudence about 150 times. Stressed the importance of taking it slow and staying hydrated. I feel much better after meeting with them. Gaudence walked us around Moshi for a while - very typical African town, really enjoyed it. Came back and did my best to pack my bag to 32 lbs. It’s close… took a nap and now having a Kilimanjaro beer getting ready for the morning. We leave for the mountain at 8:30 AM.

Dinner with Zakiya and Heather was great. We talked about all kinds of things and it appears we are all on the same page on a lot of things. Should make for a fun climb.

Almost 11 PM - off to bed.

Day 1: breakfast at the restaurant, final packing, and off to the mountain at about 9 AM. 3 hour drive to the base.

Saw a few giraffes just wandering around on the drive.

Met up at the starting point to the Lemosho trail and had lunch. Got out gear together and started climbing. Climb wasn’t terrible, but very steep in places. Total of about 3 hours, from 6k feet to 9150 ft. It was amazing to see the porters passing us with huge backpacks, AND 35 lb packs on their heads. It was incredible. We got rained on pretty good but rain gear held up well.

Camp is great. Lots of campers from other companies. Ours definitely looks top notch. Tent is huge and comfortable. All the staff is so friendly. We have a popcorn and cookie and hot tea snack before dinner.

Maturo set up tent

Peter is waiter

Visuli - good

Jambo- hi

Mambo - what’s up

Poa - good

Karibu- you’re welcome

La La salama - sleep well

Na wewe pia - and you too

Day 2 - got up early - 5 AM. Breakfast was at 7:30. Couldn’t sleep well at all. Heard some crazy monkey noises in the night. It sounded like it was right outside the tent. They also said some of the noises were hares. Hoping sleep gets better as the trip progresses. Used the toilet tent for the first time tor morning business and was presently surprised.

Day was very tough. We left at 8:30 and arrived at camp at 3:30. We stopped halfway for a hot lunch of chicken, rice, potatoes, and some really good leek soup. The climb was almost all uphill and steep. And we got hit with some rain again. We’ve been told this is one of the harder days, so that’s good. Tomorrow is long but relatively flat. The scenery is mind blowing. Views of plant life I’ve never seen, and incredible views of mountains and valleys. My travel peeps continue to be really cool, and they have helped make the trip a lot of fun.

They all say Hakuda Matata, but haven’t even heard of the Lion King. I know that sounds super American, but that phrase is just a huge part of their lingo. The porters continue to amaze us - carrying 40 lbs on their head, along with a heavy pack, and just cruising up the mountain. Insane.

Having tea and popcorn before dinner in the dining tent now.

Day 3 - slept great last night! Stayed warm and slept for six straight hours, then dozed on and off for a bit. Much better than the first night. It’s amazing what a hot water bottle in your sleeping bag does. Woke at about 5:30 am. Very cold this morning. We have an amazing view of the summit - it’s stunning! Warming up with some coffee and admiring the view. Today is supposed to be much easier than yesterday, so we are all looking forward to it.

Day started out pretty easy, but all of us were sluggish from yesterday. We were thankful the morning was relatively flat. We had lunch, and things changed. There were some pretty long, steep climbs, but still not as bad as day 2. And we all got second winds after lunch so we were OK. But I’m not gonna like, I’m damn tired. The good is that we are at almost 14k feet and I’m feeling no ill effects from the altitude.

The scenery was the prettiest we’ve seen yet. Soaring cliffs on the right and sand dunes on the left, all while we walked along the edge of a cliff (not really dangerous, but just amazing). Today’s camp is beautiful with incredible rock formations all around. And it’s our second straight day with no rain, so that was great.

I have come to realize that I am really enjoying having none of the creature comforts I’m used to, and not having cell connections is more of a blessing than I realized. It’s really nice to just get back to being a human again, interacting with others like we are supposed to do. It’s been a lot of fun getting to know Zakiya and Heather, as well as the guides and all the porters. Everyone has been absolutely wonderful. We have just finished day 3, but this trip has already surpassed my expectations.

Day 4 - up at 6 Am after an OK night of sleep. Got a runny nose halfway through the night and spent a good deal of time agonizing over it. Had to use the bathroom at 4 AM, and was just amazed at the stars! I stood outside for 10 minutes in the cold just staring at the sky. It was the brightest stars I’ve ever seen.

Breakfast is at 7:30, so I did my normal walk about around camp with a cup of coffee. It’s just so peaceful and beautiful. The porters are all preparing breakfast for the various groups, and they are are very friendly and kind.

We are at almost 14k feet now. We’ll spend the next two days at about this altitude, hiking up and down in the meantime. It will help acclimate us to the altitude. I’m still feeling good about summiting, which will be day 7. On that day we go from 15k feet to 19k feet, so it ain’t easy…

Breakfast soon, then hitting the trail again.

Back from the hike today. Ugh. We left at 8:45 and back at 5:00. We climbed to 15k feet, stayed for an hour for lunch, then went back down to about 13k. The climb up wasn’t super difficult, but it was long and there were no respites with level surfaces. And the climb back down was a bit treacherous, and we got caught in a hail storm along the way, so, yeah, that was great.

The scenery was once again spectacular, with soaring cliffs all around, and new plant life we haven’t seen yet. The porters continue to amaze us all with how they traverse the mountain, up and down.

My runny nose seem to be just that. I’m grateful it hasn’t turned into worse yet. We’ll see how tonight goes.

We are all exhausted and hoping for an easier day tomorrow. These days are crazy. Get up, eat, hike, eat, sleep. It’s fun, but damn tiring.

3 more days until we summit!

Second part of notes:

Day 5 - Well, so much for an easier day….

Hello there there, Baranco Wall! When they say wall, they mean wall. This is basically a cliff where we “walk” up switchbacks hugging the wall as we go. For over 2 hours. Straight up. Then there’s more up. And a very steep down. And then another steep up. All in all it was little less than 6 hours, but man, it was tough. All at around 14k feet. But, I did think the Baranco Wall was fun. It was definitely different. And the porters going up that wall with huge packs on their heads and full packs on their backs is probably one of the most impressive things I have ever seen.

We got back to camp at about 1 PM - our earliest yet. So it’s been nice having lunch and just relaxing. We even got a shower today, thank God! It felt great! And the pizza for lunch was really good.

Tomorrow we climb to base camp at 15,700 feet. We are at 13,200 right now at Karanga Valley. It’s a pretty steep climb, but it’s probably a 5 hour day max, so that’s good. We should get back to camp in time to rest up for summit day Monday.

We had a truly wonderful surprise after dinner. It is Heather’s birthday today and the chef baked her a cake and the entire crew came into the mess tent and sang their traditional birthday songs for her. It was very moving and special, and just shows how great this group really is.

Day 6 - Up early once again. For some reason I’m sleeping great from 9-12 pm, then just on and off the rest of the night. But I feel great each morning. I discovered that I had been leaving a zipper on my tent door open which allowed a small crack at the bottom and was making my tent very cold at night. Last night was the warmest I’ve been now that I fixed that. Somehow I’m not sore after yesterday, so that’s good. Today we get to base camp, then onto the summit. Zakiya pointed out that we only have three more nights left, which is kind of crazy.

Made it to base camp! Only four hours which was nice, but the final 2 hours or so were very steep and difficult. Base camp is interesting because there is no water source, which means porters have to go all the way back to Karanga camp to fetch water and bring it here. Which is insane!!!

Day 7 - Summit day!! It’s finally here. We are preparing for an extremely long day, about 12 hours total up and down back to base camp. Up at 2:30 AM, breakfast at 3 AM, leave at 4 AM. It’s dark so we have our headlamps on, and navigating some of the rock structure is a bit harrowing, but we get through. Then we start the long haul up, from 15,200 feet to 19,341 feet. Our saintly guide Shabani arranged for himself and two porters to carry our packs for us. Wow! What a difference, but we all definitely needed the help. This was a long journey - pretty much just straight uphill for 9 hours.

We finally come upon a sign that looks similar to the well-known Summit sign, but it wasn’t it - we were still an hour away. And then, there it was! The sign! We made it! We all rejoiced, and got down to picture business. What a relief and a feeling of accomplishment!

After hanging out a bit we head down. And… that was a LOT tougher than expected. Very steep, loose, slippery rocks almost the entire way. We had 4 hours of this. By the time we got back to the camp at 5 PM we were exhausted and very dusty. When we arrived at camp, the entire crew sang us a congratulatory song - it was so cool!

Needless to say, this day was truly spectacular. While it’s still sinking in, it’s one of the high points of my life.

Day 8 - The perfect day after yesterday. Relatively easy, all downhill, and 5 hours. In camp for a late lunch. We are now at 10K feet and have one more 4 hour day to go! The end is in sight!!

Day 9 - The final day. I’m tired of writing notes. I’m tired of climbing up and down. I’m just tired.

We walked down for 5 hours and got to the end. The end! 🙂

You sure you weren't actually climbing down instead of up?

I mean, reading that, you make want to go and try to climb Kilimanjaro one time in my life.

I won't, but you're making me want to.

So freaking cool.
It's now officially on my bucket list. I really want to walk up to 20,000ft, but this will do. And I've never been to Africa - want to get to all 8 continents before I croak. Perfect chance to do this.

I mean, reading that, you make want to go and try to climb Kilimanjaro one time in my life.

So freaking cool.
It's now officially on my bucket list. I really want to walk up to 20,000ft, but this will do. And I've never been to Africa - want to get to all 8 continents before I croak. Perfect chance to do this.
Well, there are only 7 so that’s gonna be tough!

This was my third time in Africa. It’s a beautiful place with truly amazing people. You should really try to visit some time.

Great recap. I was thinking you’d subsist on protein bars and jerky and stuff, so the part about pizza and baking a cake cracked me up for some reason. So cool to say you’ve done the climb…

Pretty bad ###. Sounds like a trip of a lifetime. My BIL is doing this next year for his 60th birthday. Congrats!

So freaking cool.

This was my third time in Africa. It’s a beautiful place with truly amazing people. You should really try to visit some time.
Zealandia is the newly proclaimed 8th continent. And, let's face it, not like I needed an excuse to get to New Zealand, but I'll add it on just because. :p I've only made it to 3 (South America, Europe), so long way to go. Kilimanjaro would be a perfect way to hit Africa.

Love reading this and just added doing something this epic to my list of "awesome things to do". Congrats man. Loved reading all the notes. Please do share pictures

My entire trip (not including air fare) is about $6k. That’s all inclusive of shuttles to and from the airport, hotel rooms in town, and the entire climb. It’s the most expensive one I’ve found. Most are in the 2-3k range. This place has gourmet food and doctors that travel along - perfect for an old spoiled dude like me

Sorry if this has been asked - but how much money do you think you put out for this awesome adventure?

Who cares if you made it to the top of the mountain...........we want to know if you made it to the top of the "mountains".........

(awesome for you to have that experience)
I could tell day 1 that wasn’t in the cards, and honestly, I had no energy or desire for anything except getting up and down that damn mountain. I didn’t even miss my whiskey at all. The whole thing was surreal.

My entire trip (not including air fare) is about $6k. That’s all inclusive of shuttles to and from the airport, hotel rooms in town, and the entire climb. It’s the most expensive one I’ve found. Most are in the 2-3k range. This place has gourmet food and doctors that travel along - perfect for an old spoiled dude like me

Sorry if this has been asked - but how much money do you think you put out for this awesome adventure?
The base price for the trip was right about $6k (for 9 days on the mountain) and that included just about everything. It was one of the pricier options, but well well worth it. I added $500 or so on for various rental items that I didn’t want to purchase - sleeping bag, poles, heavy snow jacket, really good rain jacket, stuff like that. I over tipped in the end (they suggest about 10 percent - I did that and also left extra for the crew, so that was a little over $1k). I flew business class round trip from Phoenix to Tanzania and that was about $6k. There were no “hidden” fees or expenses at all, and the price included 3 nights (2 before and 1 after) at a local hotel.

So all said, I was probably at $15k. And that’s with a truly first class experience all the way around.

So freaking cool.

Zealandia is the newly proclaimed 8th continent. And, let's face it, not like I needed an excuse to get to New Zealand, but I'll add it on just because. :p I've only made it to 3 (South America, Europe), so long way to go. Kilimanjaro would be a perfect way to hit Africa.

Interesting! I figured you were baiting me… 🙂

I have four under my belt (NA, Aus, Europe, Africa), five of we use your continent definition (NZ).

I highly recommend Kilimanjaro as your Africa intro. It’s a hop skip and jump for Zanzibar too so you could chill there before or after (I didn’t have time). They also are supposed to have good safaris nearby.

I spent some time in South Africa and did a safari there about 8 years ago. And I was in Gulu, Uganda this past March. Kilimanjaro is the way to go for a great trip.

I
How much weight did you lose? Did you ever check oxygen saturations?
I’m not sure on the weight. They fed us like horses, and I ate like one. I ate a full breakfast lunch and dinner every day, and still snacked on protein bars throughout the day. I know I lost some because my pants were getting a bit loose near the end, but I don’t think it was significant.

They checked oxygen saturation levels twice daily. Mine was always great. The lowest I had was 87 percent at the peak. I was mostly in the 90’s. We took a slow, 9 day route which makes acclimatization much easier, so that may have helped. I was really surprised at how little difficulty I had with the altitude. Besides some difficulty catching my breath on some steep inclines, I was fine.

Great recap. I was thinking you’d subsist on protein bars and jerky and stuff, so the part about pizza and baking a cake cracked me up for some reason. So cool to say you’ve done the climb…
Oh yeah - they do it up right. The chef cooked 3 squares a day. And for eating at 15k feet and lugging all the food and gear up a mountain, it was pretty good!

Between all the support staff (guides, cook, porters, everyone), there were 21 people supporting the three of us. That seems excessive, but there is so much gear to haul, they need the bodies.

The base price for the trip was right about $6k (for 9 days on the mountain) and that included just about everything. It was one of the pricier options, but well well worth it. I added $500 or so on for various rental items that I didn’t want to purchase - sleeping bag, poles, heavy snow jacket, really good rain jacket, stuff like that. I over tipped in the end (they suggest about 10 percent - I did that and also left extra for the crew, so that was a little over $1k). I flew business class round trip from Phoenix to Tanzania and that was about $6k. There were no “hidden” fees or expenses at all, and the price included 3 nights (2 before and 1 after) at a local hotel.

So all said, I was probably at $15k. And that’s with a truly first class experience all the way around.
I could swing that. Now I just got to figure out how to get divorced and climb really large mountains.

That's not horrible for that type of experience. :ponder:

I agree. I was surprised how affordable the actual climb is.

The funniest thing just happened. My driver got pulled over for speeding right by the airport by a cop standing on the side of the road. My driver tells me the fine is $15, but he can bribe the guy $5. He gets out, he talks to the cop for a minute and gets back in the car. The cop told him to drop me off first then come back and pay him so I wouldn’t see 😂

Plus, if you don't fly business class, probably looking at $10K total. That's pretty reasonable for sure for that experience.

Thanks for sharing and bringing us along on your journey. Can't wait to see pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread