What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I just climbed Kilimanjaro - now with pics (1 Viewer)

kutta

Footballguy
As many of you know, I got a divorce about one year ago after 29 years of marriage. It sucked, and still does, but things are definitely getting better. I've been thinking about something I could do to not only challenge myself, but give myself a real feeling of accomplishment. It's amazing how a divorce can really bring you down...

So I decided on climbing Kilimanjaro. It seems challenging enough for my intent, but not so ridiculously hard that I couldn't do it. And I've been to Africa a few times and absolutely love the people, so that's a big plus too.

I researched a lot of guide companies that do this, and I think I found the best one (and the most expensive...). But I'm OK with the cost. My main concern is being comfortable on the climb, having good food, and having a clean place to take care of business. This place has outstanding reviews and they've been super helpful so far.

I do this at the end of October. I'll be doing the Lemosho route, from October 15 - October 26. The first two days are in a hotel in town, then there's an 8 day climb, and one more night at the hotel. I picked this route because it's a little longer and they say altitude sickness is the primary reason people don't make it. Going slower helps with that.

My vitals: 57 years old. 6'0", 195 lbs. In pretty good shape, and getting better. There's no way in hell I'm going to be the slowest guy in the group (groups are 2-10 people). I'll be going solo, so I had to pay a little extra for a solo tent, but I like my peace and quiet.

I'll keep this thread updated with progress and notes.

Time to go for a hike...

Last edited:
What is rough cost? Looks cool. Is October the best time or is it just convenient for you?

Best of luck to you! Sounds like an amazing experience (I know a couple people who have done it and it was awesome). Keep us updated!!

Can't wait to follow along.

As for training, one thing I would recommend is walking a lot of steep hills and stuff.
I live in Prescott Arizona - which is at 5200 ft. There are a few good hiking mountains around that go to 6500 and one that goes to 7500. I’ve been doing those daily, and it’s amazing the difference from a few months ago.

That’s a far cry from 19,341 feet, but at least it’s something!

What is rough cost? Looks cool. Is October the best time or is it just convenient for you?
My entire trip (not including air fare) is about $6k. That’s all inclusive of shuttles to and from the airport, hotel rooms in town, and the entire climb. It’s the most expensive one I’ve found. Most are in the 2-3k range. This place has gourmet food and doctors that travel along - perfect for an old spoiled dude like me.

October just fit into my schedule. It is the last climb before the “rainy season.” There are a couple times when they don’t do many climbs because of rain. It’s pretty predictable.

Last edited:
I had a colleague at work do the climb a few years ago and she gave a PowerPoint show of the trip at work after she returned. Looked awesome. The guides (maybe not all?) do some sort of traditional dance with you after you make it to the top, so if that happens make sure you have one of them record that for you so you can show us all after you get back.

What’s the highest elevation you’ve ever been? Everyone handles it differently, but most people start to really feel it between 8-10K.

Are you planning on taking Diamox?

CDC guidelines

Good luck!

What’s the highest elevation you’ve ever been? Everyone handles it differently, but most people start to really feel it between 8-10K.

CDC guidelines

Good luck!
I’ve been to about 10k feet, so this is going to be really different. Thanks for the link. I’ll do whatever I need to in order to summit. I’ll be super bummed if altitude sickness kicks my ***.

My entire trip (not including air fare) is about $6k.
That's WAY less than I thought it would cost.
I agree! When I was l was pricing it all out, I ended up just thinking - give me the best guide outfit. It’s just not that much more.

I’ll get gourmet meals from culinary institute of America trained chefs, a private sleep tent, a 4-1 (approx) porter to hiker ratio, a clean toilet tent, and a ton of 5 star reviews.
I’ll pay a little extra for that.

CDC guidelines

Good luck!
I’ve been to about 10k feet, so this is going to be really different. Thanks for the link. I’ll do whatever I need to in order to summit. I’ll be super bummed if altitude sickness kicks my ***.
May want to look into this further https://www.runnersworld.com/training/a20792387/training-in-heat-to-prepare-for-altitude/

And you can short cut the process with a sauna. https://trainright.com/heat-acclimation-when-to-start-and-how-long-it-takes/

CDC guidelines

Good luck!
May want to look into this further https://www.runnersworld.com/training/a20792387/training-in-heat-to-prepare-for-altitude/

And you can short cut the process with a sauna. https://trainright.com/heat-acclimation-when-to-start-and-how-long-it-takes/
Well dang. Good thing I live in Arizona 😎

CDC guidelines

Good luck!
You could drive/fly over to mammoth, or Colorado for a few days and put in some work at 10k plus. The trails in mammoth are starting to open up from all the snow. Plenty of hiking above 10k and you can easily get above 11k just from town.

this is so cool! Can’t wait to hear about it.

Spent 3 weeks in Tanzania at the Rift Valley Children's Village with my daughter a few years ago. We both wanted to go back and climb Kilimanjaro but haven't gotten around to planning it. Our German exchange student from high school that I still keep in contact with, just climbed it with her family last week. Good luck and I'll be following along!

@kutta - my friend, this is so awesome. Good luck with the training and when we have that bourbon in Atlanta maybe I’ll convince you to really rough it out on the AT with me. ;)

Backwoods cornhole! 🥎

From my experience in La Paz and Lake Titicaca (~12,000 feet) on 2 separate occasions when I was in my late 30s early 40s. It's good to acclimate to altitude if possible, so we traveled first to lower altitude cities for a couple of days, Cochabamba (~8,500 ft) and Sucre (~9,000 feet) and took it easy. In Lake Titicaca, we did some hiking in Isla del Sol, but a few in our group, my ex-wife and her aunt, were huffing and puffing so we cut our hike short. I ran 3-5 miles 3 times a week back in Miami to get in better shape and prepare for the altitude, maybe it paid off, as I had no issues at altitude. I found this on the web about hypertension and altitude, from a hospital in Khatmandu:

>>Although there are many risks associated with high blood pressure and ascension to high altitudes, taking the right precautions can help make it safer to travel at higher altitudes.

Here are some of the preventive measures that you can take:

1. The most basic thing you should know is how much to ascend per day.

Generally, it is considered wise to stop under 8000 feet and stay there for at least one night during the first leg of the trip. After that, ascend no more than 2000 feet at a time, with an overnight stay between each ascent.

2. Talk to your doctor before making any plans to go trekking in order to adjust your medications (if necessary), which should include increasing the dose of your usual antihypertensive medication.

3. Always carry emergency supplies of medication in addition to your main supply, just in case you need additional medication while trekking.

4. Stay hydrated as much as possible, as you are likely to experience dehydration while ascending which can cause an increase in blood pressure.

6. Reduce salt in your diet to help maintain blood pressure at a safe level.

7. Travel with a partner, or in group just in case you (or someone else) requires help.<<

Last edited:
This is wonderful! Now I want to get divorced just so I can accomplish something like this. Are you planning any practice hikes at similar altitudes?
lol! Trust me, it’s not worth it…

We have Humphry’s Peak in Arizona which is over 12k that I plan on doing. For now I don’t have any other plans than that.

I'm bored and in my late 50s, what can I do that would be cool...I think I'll climb the 4th highest mountain on earth!

I mean, who says shiz like this? Crazy. Good luck, sounds absolutely terrifying.

I'm bored and in my late 50s, what can I do that would be cool...I think I'll climb the 4th highest mountain on earth!

I mean, who says shiz like this? Crazy. Good luck, sounds absolutely terrifying.
Meh. Used to ride the sled down that little hill all the time growing up.

I haven't done a very good job of updating this thread, but my climb starts October 16. It's a little over four weeks away.

I've been doing my best to train - lots of long hikes at altitude, eating well, and getting in some weight training. I'm most worried about the pooping - they will have a poop tent at camp, but I'm going to have to dig a hole if I have to do my business during climbing. Ugh.

I'm getting my gear all together and lining up my prescriptions (anti-malaria, altitude sickness pills, and a couple others). I've started hiking in the boots I'm taking on the trip to get them broken in.

It's getting real, and I'm getting a tad stressed about it. But super excited.

Users who are viewing this thread