What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is the best mattress? (1 Viewer)

RELATED QUESTION: My kids have bunk beds, but their matresses suck.

They have the board that takes the place of a box spring so I'm assuming about any kind of single bed matress would work.

What kind of matress woul you guys that sell matresses recomend? Suggestions on prices and haggling?

RELATED QUESTION: My kids have bunk beds, but their matresses suck. They have the board that takes the place of a box spring so I'm assuming about any kind of single bed matress would work. What kind of matress woul you guys that sell matresses recomend? Suggestions on prices and haggling?
I would personally recommend a good Sealy, or Simmons. Firm, Plush, whatever you like (or, if they're old enough, whichever they like that your willing to buy, lol). As far as pricing, a good one would probably run about $250 and up. Haggling really varies from retailer to retailer. Some stores (Costco, etc.) it's useless, obviously. Furniture or mattress stores you should be able to get anywhere from a little to whole lot off, depends on how they run their pricing. For example, Britney Spears got a crazy discount on a mattress from Sleepy's, but I can guarantee you you wouldn't get that big from the company I work for. We just don't price our beds really high to start with like that.

Sams club carries night therapy, nature's sleep and aerus memory foam beds.

Are any of these at all comparable to tempurpedic?

Briman said:
Sams club carries night therapy, nature's sleep and aerus memory foam beds. Are any of these at all comparable to tempurpedic?
Costco carries Novaform and that's close to Tempurpedic. I have a few friends that have them and they swear by them. We're going to be picking one up w/i a month as well.

Add me to the supporters for bedinabox.com We bought from them 2 years ago for a fraction of the tempurpedic and love the mattress.

Why would you flip a mattress that doesn't have to be flipped?
Why would you buy a mattress that will wear out twice as fast because it can't be flipped?
I think you're missing the point. You don't have to flip it because it doesn't wear out as fast.
I disagree, but not a big deal. I bought one from OMF because they still make both sides of the mattress.
WOW

Add me to the supporters for bedinabox.com We bought from them 2 years ago for a fraction of the tempurpedic and love the mattress.
:lol:Do these guys have any kind of retail presence anywhere? Carried by any stores? Sounds good but I'd have to try one out first.

We have a Sleep Number 5000 king pillow top (11 inch pillow top). Plus we both use the Select Comfort 4 inch memory foam cervical pillows.

We sleep like babies and the dual firmness control is $$$. I have a bad lower back and this bed is a joy. I do not wake up sore or stiff. Plus the pillows are key for your neck.

This bed is a bed for life. We also looked at the tempurpedic but what we liked was way out of our price range (4K) this bed was $2300 and change.

Great investment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bumping up this thread again as I'm in the market. Interested to know from those with Tempurpedics how they like them know that you've been sleeping on it for a while. I saw the data from Consumer Reports that over 60% of people who bought one would buy again, and that's almost twice as high as the next best rated brand. But, I also question some of that validity....when people spend 2-4 grand on a mattress can they "convince" themselves that it is worth it to justify spending that kind of coin?

:lmao: Still laugh out loud every time I see that alias name. AwesomeTried out a bunch of beds at the mall and am seriously leaning toward the Sleep Number P6 I haven't heard anything negative about those beds and can definitely see how the Tempurpedics would sleep kinda hot in the summer.

Got a "sleep to live" bed. almost $5000 but it has a lifetime guarantee. So i figure, extra money but will never have to buy another bed again.

you lie in a machine, they measure you, and then they tell you what firmness you need. we got the king size and the best model in quality. I think they sell them at mattress firm

I'm going for the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme. Feel likes a lot to spend, but I'm diving in for the 100 day trial anyway. I'll keep you posted.

Getting the king size with ergo base for $2,800.

Where is midwest_kc at?

Costco carries Novaform and that's close to Tempurpedic. I have a few friends that have them and they swear by them. We're going to be picking one up w/i a month as well.
I am a buyer for Sleep Innovations (who makes Costco's Pure Comfort Novaform brand and Sam's Tempsoma brand) and purchase the raw materials that go into the mattresses. After learning about memory foam, I would take our mattresses over Tempurpedics by a landslide. Tempurpedic hasn't changed the formula for their foam in quite a long time; a great portion of their revenue goes toward advertising which helps drive the $2-4K pricetag. Our R & D people are always working on new foam formulations such as CoolMax, gel, and other types of foam that "breathes."The downside is that we're a low cost provider and you really don't have much to go on other than the sample display in the stores that you can feel. These are bed in a box mattresses, and the Costco one is actually $100 off until Sunday in the store. This is a smooth top mattress, and the Sam's one is a really nice quilted cover. These are 12" mattresses, and we have an 11" mattress on Overstock.com under the Serta name that is very similar to Sam's, is a great deal at between $4-500 for a Queen, and is shipped for like $2.95. Awesome deals, just look at the reviews!

With foam though- you have to be patient for a day or two for the foam to recover to its shape as well as deal with the slight smell of the foam. Not a big deal.

Sorry to pimp my employer but I feel it's my duty to save my fellow FBG $1500 to $2000 with a mattress as good or better the Tempurpedic. :lol:

Sam's Tempsoma

Costco Pure Comfort

Overstock 11"

Got a "sleep to live" bed. almost $5000 but it has a lifetime guarantee. So i figure, extra money but will never have to buy another bed again. you lie in a machine, they measure you, and then they tell you what firmness you need. we got the king size and the best model in quality. I think they sell them at mattress firm
I don't remember if I posted this earlier in this thread or in another, but Sleep To Live beds tend to wear out quickly. And they actually only fulfill the warranty if the bed has X amount of inches of sag on all sides. So if you've got a big dent in one specific spot, you might be screwed. We almost got talked into a S2L but found the cost outrageous. My numbers might be off because it was almost a year ago but the opening cost was about $4,000 and we had talked the guy down to $2,500 before leaving for the night. Next day I told him if he came down to $2,000 we would buy. He said best they could do was $2,100 or so. I said thanks, but no thanks. Later found a TON of negative reviews about that brand and also that Sleepy's always pushes that brand since it's their own line. They can sell it for WAY below list price because it's almost all profit for them.If the only thing anyone ever listens to me is in this topic, make it this: HAGGLE LIKE A MADMAN OVER YOUR MATTRESS!Even the one we eventually ended up going with had a list of over $3,000 and we walked out with it for a grand.

I am a buyer for Sleep Innovations (who makes Costco's Pure Comfort Novaform brand and Sam's Tempsoma brand) and purchase the raw materials that go into the mattresses. After learning about memory foam, I would take our mattresses over Tempurpedics by a landslide. Tempurpedic hasn't changed the formula for their foam in quite a long time; a great portion of their revenue goes toward advertising which helps drive the $2-4K pricetag. Our R & D people are always working on new foam formulations such as CoolMax, gel, and other types of foam that "breathes."The downside is that we're a low cost provider and you really don't have much to go on other than the sample display in the stores that you can feel. These are bed in a box mattresses, and the Costco one is actually $100 off until Sunday in the store. This is a smooth top mattress, and the Sam's one is a really nice quilted cover. These are 12" mattresses, and we have an 11" mattress on Overstock.com under the Serta name that is very similar to Sam's, is a great deal at between $4-500 for a Queen, and is shipped for like $2.95. Awesome deals, just look at the reviews!

With foam though- you have to be patient for a day or two for the foam to recover to its shape as well as deal with the slight smell of the foam. Not a big deal.

Sorry to pimp my employer but I feel it's my duty to save my fellow FBG $1500 to $2000 with a mattress as good or better the Tempurpedic. :goodposting:

Sam's Tempsoma

Costco Pure Comfort

Overstock 11"
Good stuff, thanks for this.

FWIW, we ended up buying a 'temporary' bed and went w/ this one from Sam's: Night Therapy Queen. Now, granted we've only had it a week, but thus far, we're loving it. It's very, very firm, but that's what we want/like/need.

We only wanted it for a few months until we can decide on a better one. But, if this thing holds up well, we don't see the need. Memory foam mattress >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Traditional/pillow top mattress, thus far.

Got a "sleep to live" bed. almost $5000 but it has a lifetime guarantee. So i figure, extra money but will never have to buy another bed again. you lie in a machine, they measure you, and then they tell you what firmness you need. we got the king size and the best model in quality. I think they sell them at mattress firm
I don't remember if I posted this earlier in this thread or in another, but Sleep To Live beds tend to wear out quickly. And they actually only fulfill the warranty if the bed has X amount of inches of sag on all sides. So if you've got a big dent in one specific spot, you might be screwed. We almost got talked into a S2L but found the cost outrageous. My numbers might be off because it was almost a year ago but the opening cost was about $4,000 and we had talked the guy down to $2,500 before leaving for the night. Next day I told him if he came down to $2,000 we would buy. He said best they could do was $2,100 or so. I said thanks, but no thanks. Later found a TON of negative reviews about that brand and also that Sleepy's always pushes that brand since it's their own line. They can sell it for WAY below list price because it's almost all profit for them.If the only thing anyone ever listens to me is in this topic, make it this: HAGGLE LIKE A MADMAN OVER YOUR MATTRESS!Even the one we eventually ended up going with had a list of over $3,000 and we walked out with it for a grand.
If it sags more than an 18 year old ill put a bullet in someone

I'm going for the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme. Feel likes a lot to spend, but I'm diving in for the 100 day trial anyway. I'll keep you posted.

Getting the king size with ergo base for $2,800.

Where is midwest_kc at?
I fall alseep a lot faster, but when I wake up for whatever reason it is almost impossible to fall back asleep. I'm sending it back. I'm looking at:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?...924&topnav=

Barryton Plush King Mattress

Sealy Posturepedic Mattress Set

and intriged by this

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?...924&topnav=

King Natural Comfort

Latex Mattress

with Foundation

100% Natural Latex

Says it is flippable with a firm side and a softer side.

Anyone know these? Downside of Costco is that you can't test the beds at the store.

We bought a bed from Bed In A Box several months ago and we could not be happier with it. Here is a review on my purchase of this mattress from another thread. Link
:moneybag:
Are you Bed-in-a-Box fans still happy with your purchase? Thinking about pulling the trigger today. Anyone?
Over a year and we couldn't be happier with our Bed-in-a-Box. It was one of the cheapest beds we have ever bought (we always went high end) and it has held up by far the best. No need to turn it, flip, nothing. Highly recommend getting the largest one you can with the bamboo top.

We bought a bed from Bed In A Box several months ago and we could not be happier with it. Here is a review on my purchase of this mattress from another thread. Link
Are you Bed-in-a-Box fans still happy with your purchase? Thinking about pulling the trigger today. Anyone?
Over a year and we couldn't be happier with our Bed-in-a-Box. It was one of the cheapest beds we have ever bought (we always went high end) and it has held up by far the best. No need to turn it, flip, nothing. Highly recommend getting the largest one you can with the bamboo top.
That's the one we were looking at. I've heard bad things about the foundation (like it creaks) and was thinking about just getting the mattress. Your opinion?Oh, and thanks for the reply.

I say this in all the mattress threads, so I'll repeat it here.Most mattress sellers and their warranties are utter crap. Buying an expensive bed is no guarantee that it will last and they do not honor the warranty if it falls apart. Mattress makers make the same mattress under 50 different names, so using consumer reports or other review sites does not work in finding a decent one, either.So I buy mine at Costco online. I think I pay 6-800, get a great mattress and if it ever fails (been 3 years, no probs), I know I can bring it back for a refund. I think when a place has an iron-clad warranty like Costco odes, they make sure they sell quality items, so there are not many returns.
:moneybag: I did the same thing for my spare bed / bedroom and ANY problems at any time you can simply replace it.

That's the one we were looking at. I've heard bad things about the foundation (like it creaks) and was thinking about just getting the mattress. Your opinion?Oh, and thanks for the reply.
We have the foundation and there is no creaking. Not sure how it would creak since the mattress doesnt even move when you jump on it. If you already have a box spring I would pass on the foundation, there is nothing special about it.

What about laying on them at the store? Is that a good measurment?
Not really--it takes longer than that for any discomfort to set in. Some places have a short term return policy to account for that. Just popped into this thread to give kudos to the Original Mattress Factory selections. My sister first got one, I think Regency, and was so pleased with it despite her back problems that when we were looking we picked up a set for us, and another specially sized mattress for my son's built in loft. He still loves his; ours was actually too firm for me, as it turned out, and we passed down to our daughter (who likes it a lot). Meanwhile after a lengthy testing I picked up one of their foam/latex mattresses--no springs--and have been really happy with it after three years. Prices were all good too, at $1k or less.

Got a Simmons Beautyrest King bed from Sleepy's back in June for $1100 (when we first spoke to the salesman, the price he quoted us was $3600. After about 1.5 hours, we had him down to $1100. Had I waited another day, probably would've gone under a grand but I just wanted the thing at that point). Almost bought a Kingsdown/Sleep to Live model for $2500 a week earlier but thankfully found some bad reviews and backed out of it.Our model is pretty soft, but not so much that we sink into it. It's the best sleep I've ever had, and I have a bad back/neck. I think the biggest difference for me was finally getting good quality pillows, something most people don't factor in quite enough.
You can negotiate them like crazy. I had a similar experience to this.I got a Simmons Beautyrest Black.Entered the store and it was listed at $5500. I walked out with it for $1000.
Please provide some details on how you talked them down.I frequently hear people say they talked the seller down on xxx product and wonder how. I always feel like the other dude is smirking inside when I try to do so.

I'm in furniture and mattress sales in northeast Ohio. I feel i'm pretty knowledgeable.

In my opinion, and the opinion of most that i work with, the best choice for comfort, pressure point relief, longevity of the mattress, etc. is

to purchase a latex mattress. The newest line from Sealy just hit our floor and it is incredible. With latex you get the benefits that you would

from a Tempurpedic, but they sleep like a conventional mattress. In other words, you don't sink into the mattress.

The main complaint i get with the tempurpedics is that they sleep warm and are hard to move around on.

Just my opinion.

I'm in furniture and mattress sales in northeast Ohio. I feel i'm pretty knowledgeable. In my opinion, and the opinion of most that i work with, the best choice for comfort, pressure point relief, longevity of the mattress, etc. isto purchase a latex mattress. The newest line from Sealy just hit our floor and it is incredible. With latex you get the benefits that you wouldfrom a Tempurpedic, but they sleep like a conventional mattress. In other words, you don't sink into the mattress. The main complaint i get with the tempurpedics is that they sleep warm and are hard to move around on.Just my opinion.
What's your opinion on bamboo? Does it sleep warm? The mattress I'm looking at has a 2" cover made of bamboo.

I'm in furniture and mattress sales in northeast Ohio. I feel i'm pretty knowledgeable. In my opinion, and the opinion of most that i work with, the best choice for comfort, pressure point relief, longevity of the mattress, etc. isto purchase a latex mattress. The newest line from Sealy just hit our floor and it is incredible. With latex you get the benefits that you wouldfrom a Tempurpedic, but they sleep like a conventional mattress. In other words, you don't sink into the mattress. The main complaint i get with the tempurpedics is that they sleep warm and are hard to move around on.Just my opinion.
What's your opinion on bamboo? Does it sleep warm? The mattress I'm looking at has a 2" cover made of bamboo.
Bamboo is going to do nothing for your nights sleep. It's mostly a gimmick in my opinion. It's a very renewable resource so the mattress companiestout the bamboo lines as "green", which some people love.

We are in going to soon be replacing our 12 year mattress. We are considering one with latex or memory foam. We both tend to like a moderatly firm mattress.

Spike said:
Got a Simmons Beautyrest King bed from Sleepy's back in June for $1100 (when we first spoke to the salesman, the price he quoted us was $3600. After about 1.5 hours, we had him down to $1100. Had I waited another day, probably would've gone under a grand but I just wanted the thing at that point). Almost bought a Kingsdown/Sleep to Live model for $2500 a week earlier but thankfully found some bad reviews and backed out of it.Our model is pretty soft, but not so much that we sink into it. It's the best sleep I've ever had, and I have a bad back/neck. I think the biggest difference for me was finally getting good quality pillows, something most people don't factor in quite enough.
You can negotiate them like crazy. I had a similar experience to this.I got a Simmons Beautyrest Black.Entered the store and it was listed at $5500. I walked out with it for $1000.
Please provide some details on how you talked them down.I frequently hear people say they talked the seller down on xxx product and wonder how. I always feel like the other dude is smirking inside when I try to do so.
Go to the matress store that will 'match' the price. Ask them if they match 1800mattress. Once youve picked out your mattress, go back to his desk and tell him you are going to call 1800mattress for a quote. Make the call and have them match the price.Note: It used to be with Sterns and Foster than certain companies would have different model names for the same mattress to get around this. The secret for sterns and foster is that the first letter of the model was always the same. When I called for my quote I had to ask for the 'G' model.Good luck and dont bring your wife as she will get embarrassed by this EVEN THOUGH you just saved the family $250.

deadRED said:
In my opinion, and the opinion of most that i work with, the best choice for comfort, pressure point relief, longevity of the mattress, etc. isto purchase a latex mattress. The newest line from Sealy just hit our floor and it is incredible. With latex you get the benefits that you wouldfrom a Tempurpedic, but they sleep like a conventional mattress. In other words, you don't sink into the mattress.
I've read that some shops are trying to pass off mattresses as 100% latex when in fact they are not.True? How could a consumer know they're getting the real deal?

deadRED said:
In my opinion, and the opinion of most that i work with, the best choice for comfort, pressure point relief, longevity of the mattress, etc. isto purchase a latex mattress. The newest line from Sealy just hit our floor and it is incredible. With latex you get the benefits that you wouldfrom a Tempurpedic, but they sleep like a conventional mattress. In other words, you don't sink into the mattress.
I've read that some shops are trying to pass off mattresses as 100% latex when in fact they are not.True? How could a consumer know they're getting the real deal?
If hamsters bounce on it, it's latex.

You Tempurpedic folks. Do you find the bed too warm? We got rid of our memory foam topper because it would get too warm. I'm in the market and not sure what to get.

You Tempurpedic folks. Do you find the bed too warm? We got rid of our memory foam topper because it would get too warm. I'm in the market and not sure what to get.
I just bought one about a week and a half ago. I haven't had any trouble with it getting too warm.

Users who are viewing this thread