What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (12 Viewers)

after struggling with Baldur's Gate 2 I decided to put it aside and started up Legend of Grimrock.  This is a fun, old school looking dungeon crawler.  Very easy to pick up and just start playing.

Looking for a single player first person shooter along the lines of "The Last of Us" for my PS4.  Any suggestions?  I only have Uncharted 4 and TLOU (liked both) and I'm looking to upgrade my PS4 library.  
Side note: not into the "solve this puzzle to advance" kind of games.

Fired up the XBOX One for the first time in months Monday night since I was off work for the holiday. Spent the next hour waiting for it to download updates, and then the next hour waiting for it to download a Fallout 4 update. Then Fallout kept freezing at the startup screen and wouldn't start. Ended up installing Skyrim SE which took nearly another hour before I could play.

So damn annoying. Must have been the holiday purchasers, in the past those updates barely took any time at all with my high speed connection.

Looking for a single player first person shooter along the lines of "The Last of Us" for my PS4.  Any suggestions?  I only have Uncharted 4 and TLOU (liked both) and I'm looking to upgrade my PS4 library.  
Neither game you mention is a FPS.  I'd say Metal Gear.

I don't know if it is just because this is the first graphics heavy game I have played on my new computer but Witcher 3 is jaw droppingly beautiful.   Even my wife and daughter who could care less about games and/or graphics were impressed.

Fired up the XBOX One for the first time in months Monday night since I was off work for the holiday. Spent the next hour waiting for it to download updates, and then the next hour waiting for it to download a Fallout 4 update. Then Fallout kept freezing at the startup screen and wouldn't start. Ended up installing Skyrim SE which took nearly another hour before I could play.

So damn annoying. Must have been the holiday purchasers, in the past those updates barely took any time at all with my high speed connection.
They have the auto update feature fyi. It saves so much time for people who log on now and agin. The normal update sizes have grown to 5-20GB, so they take time.

Keep playing and get both expansions. One of the best games of the past few years
I have the GOTY edition so I think that has both expansions.  I just started it up today to take a peek at it to make sure it ran ok with my specs and I was blown away.

I will not dig into this for a while as it is deep the the queue but I am really looking forward to it.

Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid, Grand Theft Auto, Watch Dogs 2

Tomb Raider is probably the most like a Naughty Dog (the people who make Uncharted and the Last of Us) game. 

*** As noted above these games are "third person" shooters, not "first person" shooters or FPS. The difference, and what is being referenced, is the viewing/camera angle. Third person games you see the character and first person games you only see hands and guns, like Call of Duty and Doom. 

I have the GOTY edition so I think that has both expansions.  I just started it up today to take a peek at it to make sure it ran ok with my specs and I was blown away.

I will not dig into this for a while as it is deep the the queue but I am really looking forward to it.
It's a looooooonnnggg game

Played through the first 2 chapters of FFXV. Took me 6 hours because sometimes I wander off. 

Pros: Huge world, lots to do, decent combat. Interesting overall story with some pretty good moments.

Cons: Story feels all over the map and has very weak points, overwhelming amount of stuff to learn, combat doesn't always feel fluid. Some really bad voice acting at times (but I personally don't care much about that). 

Recommendation: I heard that they are making story patches so this game gets a very strong "WAIT to play". 

Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid, Grand Theft Auto, Watch Dogs 2

Tomb Raider is probably the most like a Naughty Dog (the people who make Uncharted and the Last of Us) game. 

*** As noted above these games are "third person" shooters, not "first person" shooters or FPS. The difference, and what is being referenced, is the viewing/camera angle. Third person games you see the character and first person games you only see hands and guns, like Call of Duty and Doom. 
Thanks for the clarification guys.  GTA is my fave PS3 game, and I'll give Tomb Raider a try.

For now I'm giving Fallout 4 a try.  Just left vault 111 and heading toward the old hood

Statorama said:
Thanks for the clarification guys.  GTA is my fave PS3 game, and I'll give Tomb Raider a try.

For now I'm giving Fallout 4 a try.  Just left vault 111 and heading toward the old hood
There's a few of us playing FO4 right now. The official thread gets bumped from time to time. 

I had to give up on it. It had everything I enjoyed in gaming but I can not get a hang of using the key board to move.  I seem to be more functional with a point and click movement via mouse.

When getting PC games in the future I need to look for point+click or ones that support controllers I think.
I am struggling with the controls.  I can't get used to the keyboard movement controls at all.  I must look drunk to the other players.

Graphics seem very old now obviously, but the core game mechanics, skills etc look pretty good.  I don't like that there appears to be nothing to do when leveling (I could be missing it).
I am telling you bruv, if you're PC gaming stick with mouse & keyboard.  It will take some adjustment time but the payoff is worth it.  There is a reason console controller players don't like playing against mouse/keyboard guys.  M/K has allows for much faster reaction time and is far more accurate.

I moved from M/K PC gaming to an XBox earlier this year and while I enjoy the controller it doesn't hold a candle to what I can do with M/K and I don't think it ever will.

I am telling you bruv, if you're PC gaming stick with mouse & keyboard.  It will take some adjustment time but the payoff is worth it.  There is a reason console controller players don't like playing against mouse/keyboard guys.  M/K has allows for much faster reaction time and is far more accurate.

I moved from M/K PC gaming to an XBox earlier this year and while I enjoy the controller it doesn't hold a candle to what I can do with M/K and I don't think it ever will.
I will try to do as you recommend but I have to admit it felt like heaven using a controller today when testing out Dark Souls 3 and Witcher 3 on my PC.  I can certainly handle the simpler games with M/K though.  

I think this is just an old dog new tricks thing.  After decades of controller play, it just feels like an extension of my hand.

I will try to do as you recommend but I have to admit it felt like heaven using a controller today when testing out Dark Souls 3 and Witcher 3 on my PC.  I can certainly handle the simpler games with M/K though.  

I think this is just an old dog new tricks thing.  After decades of controller play, it just feels like an extension of my hand.
I totally get that.  I am still getting used to the controller but have run through Halo: Master Chief to completion and feel pretty comfortable with the controller.  But the bottom line for me is that the controller will always be twitchier and more difficult to lock onto targets while running around (or being stationary).  With M/K I can do full sprinting/diving/jumping etc. while looking down the scope and landing consistent head-shots.  That kind of accuracy cannot be matched by a controller.  Plus hot keys for weapon switching, inventory, using items etc is also much faster than anything you can get from a controller.  A controller will always be closer to "spray'n'pray" when it comes to combat. In some ways M/K can be a little bit of a game breaker once you lock into it, which may not be your thing. 

When I was transitioning ( :unsure: ) to a controller I didn't really embrace it until someone in here, I forget who, told me to look at the "spray'n'pray" aspect of combat as being more realistic than the super-ninja bad-###ery I was used to with M/K.  After that I sort of changed my mindset when playing on my console and it became more fun/less frustrating.

Count me as a guy that uses mouse keyboard and will never switch to controller. I have tried a few different times and always go back to m/KB.  I just map the controls to keys I like.  

Count me as a guy that uses mouse keyboard and will never switch to controller. I have tried a few different times and always go back to m/KB.  I just map the controls to keys I like.  
Certain games just require mouse/keyboard.  I'm not very good at shooters on controller, but for platformers, I have to have a controller.

I'm in the same boat for most every pc game, but there's a couple games like Dark Souls 3 and Hyper Light Drifter that were unpossible without a controller 

Took advantage of a few Black Friday deals and finally broke down and bought an HTC Vive that's arriving tomorrow. For those that don't know, it's one of the real VR Headsets. Also bought a bunch of games for it. Steam has a 2 hour trial on their games which I'll use to determine which games I want to keep/refund. There were a lot of games that had equivalents that isn't clear which is the 'better' option, so I bought both and will try both for 90 min while refunding the other. For example Audioshield vs Holodance and Project Cars vs Assetto Corsa. There's also a ton of free smaller games I'm going to try out. Luckily most of the games I got were also on sale during the Steam Autumn sale. 

If people are interested in what VR is like right now, whether I think it's worth the price, or if it's simply a gimmick, I'll leave a comprehensive review after I've tried it out for a bit to let you know what I think.

My initial concerns:

All the games that I've see right now available for it are by indie developers and seem to have very little content. They look more like glorified tech demos which explains the usual $10-30 price tag on these games. However, if the experience is just 5 hours, is it really worth it? I'll find out.

There is a HUGE divide in the VR community on the preferred type of locomotion used by a game. Read: How the hell do you walk around? The three main options are 1) Using the touch pad on the Vive controller similar to Steam Controller. 2) D-Pad on XBox (or similar) controller. 3) Teleportation where you aim on the ground and teleport a short distance like a click-to-move adventure game.

The last option seems like a horrible option from an immersion perspective (I mean, you've got a VR headset and you're clicking to move? How crappy does that sound?!) However it also seems to unfortunately be the preferred movement type for a lot of players because the other options make them feel a bit seasick since their body movement is disconnected from their perspective. For some reason moving with a dpad while in VR makes some people feel ill, enough so that many games don't even offer other locomotion options other than teleport. I'm particularly interested in my findings on all 3 locomotion types.

The vast majority of AAA developers may not produce actual content for VR for quite some time due to there only being a few hundred thousand units in circulation and it's difficult to turn a profit even if EVERY VR user buys their game. People are waiting for great games before they plunge into VR and great game developers are waiting for people to buy VR units before they invest in great games. Bethesda is working on Fallout 4 VR sometime in 2017, but it looks to be a teleport locomotion... Ugh.
It's been a while since I revisited this mostly because I've been busy as hell during the Holidays. Frankly I don't have quite the expertise on this yet that I thought I would by now, but I'll share my experiences so far.

The HTC Vive tracking is phenomenal, and VR itself it amazing. Seriously, VR can be THE medium of the future, the only thing holding it back is reliable, quality content.

First I'll address my initial concerns.

In my opinion, it's important to keep price per amount of content regardless of medium. That means if the price is $30 and you only get 2-3 hours of content, it's not worth it the vast majority of the time. While there are a lot of games for VR like this, there are also a lot that are either cheaper or offer more content, just read some reviews before buying. Frankly, some of the best experiences are free games like The Lab and Rec Room and there are a ton of other great free or very cheap VR content out there. 

As far as locomotion, I have no problem with track locomotion and highly prefer it over teleport. Teleport isn't horrible, it's passable, and if you get sick with other forms it's good to have. However, I personally will think twice before buying any game that doesn't offer trackpad locomotion unless you're not to be meant to move around much.

Top Free games/experiences I've found so far:  Accounting, Allumette, Bigscreen, Google Earth VR, The Lab, NVIDIA Funhouse, Quanero, Rec Room, Trials of Tatooine

I've bought about $120 worth of games and have about 40 VR games now. I haven't played at least half of them yet. Thanks Steam sales! However, of the ones I have bought and tried, I'll say some very quick thoughts on them so far.

Audioshield: Fun pick up and play rhythm game. Nephew and niece loved it. You punch balls to the beat of any song you want (youtube/playlist). Very active game and can double as Aerobics. Major con is that the algorithm creating the balls is pretty bad, often doesn't go along with the beat at all and you can feel like you're punching balls while a song is running rather than punching the song itself.

Holodance: Fixes the problem Audioshield has because by limiting it's versatility to only songs it comes with and Osu! integration (Osu! Is a different game, look it up. Unless you have it, ignore this feature). The beats and pattern are on point and it really feels like you're moving to the song, however it only has one genre of music meaning you'll either love it or pass on it for that fact. Ultimatelt if you don't like the music, go Audioshield. If you do, this is probably better. Or get both.

Project Cars vs Asetto Corsa: Both are very good FULL racing games that put you in the drivers seat of your car. Neither are very arcadey or easy, but Project Cars is a bit less realistic but easier to play/get into. Asetto Corsa is much more for the realism/simulation fans. Depending on which scratches your itch, you can't go wrong with either. I chose Project Cars because I didn't need the full-blown realism of Asetto Corsa but it still provides a challenge and feels like a racing sim instead of an arcade racer. 

Vertigo: Fantastic single player experience I've only scratched the surface of. It's only 5 hours long approximately, but it's also only $15. Decent story, immersive environments, and varying gameplay so far. Also polished. This combination is pretty damn rare to find in most titles. 

Raw Data: Got this on a pricing error on Amazon as the current SALE price tag of $31 was too much for me otherwise. Wave shooter but a pretty damn good one from what I have experienced so far. You can choose between multiple characters which have different weapons/abilities that you can even level up but it still boils down to being a wave shooter at heart. Coop multiplayer, different missions, and varying unique and sometimes scary enemies keep it fresh. Probably at least 10 hours of replay value here. I still feel the price is a bit steep, but it's very polished and if you enjoy rail shooters or don't have a good one this is a great one to get.

Elite Dangerous: Beautiful FULL Space sim that's very complicated. This is not for the casual gamer, but if you want something akin to Eve Online in VR, this is your ticket. Probably the most content out of any other VR ready game, but also the steepest learning curve. If you're smart enough, patient enough, and willing to grind a little then this is a must buy. If you're looking for quick fun experiences only then stay away.

Eleven Table Tennis: Very Realistic Ping Pong on sale for $5. AI is brutal, people suck just as much as you do however. Great graphics and physics. If you want a ping pong table in your room for $5, get it.

Hoops VR: Got this for $3, and everyone I invited over enjoyed playing it. Not a lot of content, but fun basketball minigames and definitely worth $3. 

Zombie Training Simulator: Got it free with my Vive. Pretty fun little game but gets boring quick and not worth anywhere near $20. Don't get it unless it came free or heavily on sale.

I'll consider more updates as I get more time to try out more of my games. Hope this very brief preview was informational for anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
but there's a couple games like Dark Souls 3 and Hyper Light Drifter that were unpossible without a controller 
When I started played DS3 yesterday this was the first thing that came to mind.  

Instinctively I knew 20+ controls on the controller for the game with out having to think.  I imagine I would have died 100 times in the opening area trying to remember which key to press on the keyboard, much less having the dexterity to do so in a timely manner for a game of this difficulty.

My entire modern gaming experience has been the following:

* Buy a game

* Play the living hell out of the game

* Sell the game

* repeat the cycle

Now, for the first time, I am staring at my Steam screen which has 15 games loaded into it (some old, some new, some deep like Dark Souls 3 and Witcher 3) and I have a kid in the candy store feeling in a bad way.  I can't seem to stay focused on any one game these past few days because I keep wanting to see how the others run and look.....

Now, for the first time, I am staring at my Steam screen which has 15 games loaded into it (some old, some new, some deep like Dark Souls 3 and Witcher 3) and I have a kid in the candy store feeling in a bad way.  I can't seem to stay focused on any one game these past few days because I keep wanting to see how the others run and look.....
It gets worse.  In a good way for sure, but it gets worse.

madshot31 said:
They have the auto update feature fyi. It saves so much time for people who log on now and agin. The normal update sizes have grown to 5-20GB, so they take time.
Thanks, not sure why that isn't auto-enabled for the Xbox Updates. Game updates I understand. Weird thing was that one of the updates was only around 500MB's and it still took forever. Checked my connection speed and everything else and no problems there, hence my comment that maybe their home servers were overtasked with all the new xmas users.

Bought the Crusader Kings II bundle, Victoria II bundle and Hearts of Iron III bundle because I found out you can play a single kingdom/nation from CK2 to Europa Universalis 4 to Vic2 to HoI3 (already have EU4). By the time I finish that the next Steam Xmas sale should be here.

I bought the Google VR on sale this month ($60), while it is significantly more limited than the Vive (really one shouldn't compare the two) I must say that it clearly demonstrates that VR has a ton of potential going forward.  One aspect I particularly enjoy is the photo spheres, where you can use your camera to take 360 photos (X,Y & Z axes) which it stitches together and can then be viewed in the VR headset.  It opens up a new dimension of photo sharing.  There is also a 360 degree (X axis only) panorama option with the Google Cardboard app that also records sound while you take the photo, which makes viewing them surprisingly immersive.

There is very little content, maybe 50 apps or so but some of them are actually quite fun like PolyRunner and Twilight Pioneers and Keep Talking & Nobody Explodes was absolutely made for the VR experience. 

Again the Google VR is no Vive or Samsung whatever but at the price point it is completely worth exploring.

Bought the Crusader Kings II bundle, Victoria II bundle and Hearts of Iron III bundle because I found out you can play a single kingdom/nation from CK2 to Europa Universalis 4 to Vic2 to HoI3 (already have EU4). By the time I finish that the next Steam Xmas sale should be here.
I have all of those games. I have over a 1000 hours in CK2, 3 hours in EU4. Haven't even fired up Vicky or HoI. CK2 is that good.

I had over 300 hours in EU3.

Titanfall 2 is a really fun and gorgeous game.   I play on a 43" 4k TV with my PC and I'll admit that I just grabbed a GTX 1080 to get it in all its glory. :nerd: :excited: :bag:

Just built a new computer (6700k, RX 480 8GB OC) and I must say, Battlefield 1 and Battlefront (it was on sale recently) both look pretty nice on Ultra. Been a while since I've been able to crank the graphics up, it's pretty nice.

Again the Google VR is no Vive or Samsung whatever but at the price point it is completely worth exploring.
I'm holding off on VR because I know it will be awesome.  Maybe a little too awesome.  Like life as I know it is over awesome.  

The developer of Onward recently partnered with Valve to develop his multiplayer VR shooter.  The potential with that (and of course, pr0n) is off the charts 

You like it?  I bought it but yet to play.  Wondering if I should play through the first one again. Hardly remember the game
I love spending hours searching every nook and cranny for every rune, bone charm, blueprint, painting, etc. Keep in mind I try playing low chaos but without constantly loading it's too hard for me so I just play the way I wanna play and enjoy myself. 12 hours in and just finished chapter 4. There are 10 chapters I believe. 

And this coming from someone who thought the first was just ok.

All this witcher 3 chat has me itching to play again. I put in prob 60 hours and made it to:

where you go back to Kaer Mohren with Yennifer after Skellige and start recruiting people

How much is left?  Is it worth starting over?  I enjoyed the time I played but it's hard for me to keep going when games get super long.  

bigmarc27 said:
All this witcher 3 chat has me itching to play again. I put in prob 60 hours and made it to:

where you go back to Kaer Mohren with Yennifer after Skellige and start recruiting people

How much is left?  Is it worth starting over?  I enjoyed the time I played but it's hard for me to keep going when games get super long.  
I haven't really played since it came out, so my memory might be foggy but I believe you have quite a way to go still. If you have played 60 hours up to there, I'd say maybe another 40-60 hours, depending on how you play.

I would strongly recommend against starting again. Especially since you put the game down once already. I would suggest main lining the story. It will probably hold your attention a bit more and it will leave a lot of you decide to do a New Game +. And there's good DLC too. 

I haven't really played since it came out, so my memory might be foggy but I believe you have quite a way to go still. If you have played 60 hours up to there, I'd say maybe another 40-60 hours, depending on how you play.

I would strongly recommend against starting again. Especially since you put the game down once already. I would suggest main lining the story. It will probably hold your attention a bit more and it will leave a lot of you decide to do a New Game +. And there's good DLC too. 
Yeah I might just spend an hour reading through the quest logs and remembering what happened and maybe do a monster hunt to get my attacking mojo back. 

I was really loving the game and doing everything I could. Eventually I just got a little burned out.  It happens in most long games for me. I go from watching every cutscene and letting every conversation go, then I start skipping the conversations and fast traveling. That's when I know it's time to step away. 

bigmarc27 said:

You're about halfway done with the main quest. 

I just picked this back up to do a second playthrough, with the intention of just speeding through the plot, but the game totally sucked me back in again. I missed tons of content the first time around, and it's been about 18 months, so even the repeated content feels fresh. Definitely a top 5-7 all time RPG for me. 

Yeah I might just spend an hour reading through the quest logs and remembering what happened and maybe do a monster hunt to get my attacking mojo back. 

I was really loving the game and doing everything I could. Eventually I just got a little burned out.  It happens in most long games for me. I go from watching every cutscene and letting every conversation go, then I start skipping the conversations and fast traveling. That's when I know it's time to step away. 
I would start again

how do the dlc's tie into the game?  is it content that is not available until after main quest is complete or is it more level based on when you can access it?

how do the dlc's tie into the game?  is it content that is not available until after main quest is complete or is it more level based on when you can access it?
Witcher 3?  

If I remember correctly you start the dlc stuff for one by looking at a billboard in a town for a mission.  They both add a bunch more stuff to the map.

You want to finish main quest before doing these.  

Users who are viewing this thread