What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

** OFFICIAL ** Cleveland Guardians thread - spring training (2 Viewers)

Indians have signed outfielder and career .240 hitter Matt Joyce.

And relief pitcher Alex Wilson, 32 year old 3.23 career ERA.

Last edited by a moderator:
What are the thoughts of Indians homers about Jose Ramirez's awful second-half, and where would you draft him this year?

Was he fatigued, was he hiding an injury? 

After Arenado, Ramirez and Bryant have huge questions about their play. 

Part of me thinks it was just too good to last.  I think he'll fall back to the norm a little bit.  With that said, Jose spent a lot of money building a ball field in his back yard so he can practice all offseason.  He's bound to show he can sustain this growth.

So does Hanley Ramirez make the team and if he does, where does he play?

Utility guy - DH, SS, 3B ?
Have to think it's mainly DH with some spot time as a Utility player.  He only has a couple of seasons as 3B, and it hasn't been recent.  I'd be fine with him filling in at times at SS, especially if Lindor isn't ready to go.  But I see him more as a DH.  The way this team is built right now, I don't see a DH on the team - maybe Bauers?  

Interesting.  My initial thought was Martin in CF, Allen in LF, with Bauers or Naquin in RF.

I think Martin is too good defensively in CF to replace with Allen.

Allen has some defensive talent, and if his bat stays alive like the end of 2018, he should fit right into a corner OF spot. 

I figured RF would be a battle between Naquin, Bauers, and Luplow to see who will take that role full time.  Every time I look at Bauers, I see a younger Jay Bruce.  

Probable Opening Day roster

*Rotation (five): Corey Kluber, Trevor Bauer, Carlos Carrasco, Mike Clevinger and Shane Bieber.

*Bullpen (seven): Brad Hand, Adam Cimber, Dan Otero, Tyler Olson, Neil Ramirez, Oliver Perez and Jon Edwards.

*Catchers (two): Roberto Perez and Kevin Plawecki.

*Infield/DH (six): Max Moroff, Jose Ramirez, Carlos Santana, Eric Stamets, Brad Miller and Ramirez.

*Outfield (five): Greg Allen, Jake Bauers, Jordan Luplow, Leonys Martin and Tyler Naquin.
Players expected to open the season on the injured list include Francisco Lindor (right calf), Jason Kipnis (right calf), outfielder Bradley Zimmer (right shoulder), Danny Salazar (right shoulder).

Why does Naquin have a starting role?  I thought Mercado, Thompson, and Luplow all had good numbers this spring.  I wish they would have traded him over the offseason.  

Kluber pitched well, and Bauer/Clev showed much improvement.  I like that Clev's velocity has increased year over year since he's been on the roster.  Bauer is constantly re-inventing himself.  Cookie always seems to fluctuate, but I think he'll settle in.  Looking forward to seeing what Beiber can provide as the #5 option this year.  Had a good year last year, and hoping to see a little more from him this year.

Jose worries me as I think he'll crash back down to Earth, if he hasn't already.  He is a good player, but I don't see him being that Elite Lg Hitter that he was last year.  I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it yet.

When will they trade/release Salazaar?  I didn't see an option for a 365-day IL.  Or is it up to 545 days already?  :kicksrock:

Why does Naquin have a starting role?  I thought Mercado, Thompson, and Luplow all had good numbers this spring.  I wish they would have traded him over the offseason.  

Kluber pitched well, and Bauer/Clev showed much improvement.  I like that Clev's velocity has increased year over year since he's been on the roster.  Bauer is constantly re-inventing himself.  Cookie always seems to fluctuate, but I think he'll settle in.  Looking forward to seeing what Beiber can provide as the #5 option this year.  Had a good year last year, and hoping to see a little more from him this year.

Jose worries me as I think he'll crash back down to Earth, if he hasn't already.  He is a good player, but I don't see him being that Elite Lg Hitter that he was last year.  I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it yet.

When will they trade/release Salazaar?  I didn't see an option for a 365-day IL.  Or is it up to 545 days already?  :kicksrock:
The fact that Tito was hell-bent on hitting Naquin 3rd was :wall:  to me. He finally wised up yesterday and dropped him to seventh after doing a Rob Deer impersonation all weekend.

Sunshine looked real good yesterday - 12 whiffs with wicked stuff.

That offense as a whole is...offensive. :yucky:

A little bit of good news....

Per Mandy Bell, Francisco Lindor met with the doctor in Green Bay yesterday and with Indians head athletic trainer James Quinlan today. Looks like more information will now be released tomorrow. But the Indians don’t seem too concerned that the ankle will cause a major setback.

Indians manager Terry Francona said Tuesday morning that it will be 6-8 weeks before Mike Clevinger (back) can even pick up a baseball to begin throwing.

WTF

:cry:

Per Terry Francona on the manager's show today, Cookie was just bruised last night and should make his next start on Sunday.

Mandy Bell quotes SlangsOnSports - "Through 34 games, the Indians are hitting a combined .212. That's their lowest team average through their first 34 games since 1910 when they hit .197 in that span."

:wall:  

Doesn't seem like she lives in Ohio.

Looks like she cleaned up all her Twitter blasts.  It's all deleted.  She got a few hundred new followers out of it.  Maybe just wanted some of the makeup secks.

I was surprised Tito let Bieber go the distance yesterday. Glad he did - 15 whiffs and a complete game shutout plus another curb stomping of the O's.

Bauer could do that if he could eliminate the 20+ pitch inning he has to throw every time out.

Time for the young'un's to step up.  Now is there chance.  Hopefully Naquin and Kipnis follow suit soon.  
I get your frustration with Kipnis, but who replaces him?  You traded away Diaz and since coming back from injury Chang has sucked.  So unless you want more of Max Moroff, Erik Stamets, and Mike Freeman you're stuck. 

You may have an out with Naquin (pun intended), but I don't think he's really that bad as a 4th OF.  It isn't his fault Tito put him 3rd in the order opening day.  That's just putting him in position to fail.

I get your frustration with Kipnis, but who replaces him?  You traded away Diaz and since coming back from injury Chang has sucked.  So unless you want more of Max Moroff, Erik Stamets, and Mike Freeman you're stuck. 
I wonder if Chang is still injured?  Kipnis does provide solid defense, it's his roller-coaster of an offense and killer contract that I dislike.  But hey, Tito decided to put Freeman in the OF tonight, so you know, we got that going for us....  :loco:

STO needs to scrap this pre-game prediction segment with Al, Jensen and the fans. 
No matter the year, no matter the format, Jensen finds a way to btich about it.

Two HS kids....not surprised, that seems to be what they've been doing early in the draft the last 10ish years.  Flame thrower with awkward delivery (hello, TJ) and a potential Lindor replacement.

Big series this week against the Twins. I have to believe the Tribe has to take at least 2 of 3 to continue to have a sniff at playoffs.

Cookie out "indefinitely" due to blood disorder.

Indians pitcher Carlos Carrasco has been moved to the injured list after being diagnosed with a blood condition, according to a news release from the team.

Carrasco was diagnosed following several weeks of feeling lethargic, the release states. While in the information-gathering stage, Carrasco is stepping away from baseball to explore optimal treatment and recovery options.

Details will be conveyed at the discretion of Carrasco and his family, team representatives stated.

“We do not know when Carlos will rejoin the club but expect him back at some point this season,” the release states. “At this time, our primary concern is Carlos’s health, and we will respect his wishes to keep this a private matter. We ask everyone to keep Carlos and his family in their thoughts during his challenging time.”

Carrasco was placed on the 10-day injured list, retroactive to June 2. The Indians recalled pitchers Jon Edwards and Nick Goody from AAA Columbus, and also optioned outfielder Greg Allen to AAA Columbus.
:wall:    :wall:    :wall:   for us.

Hope Cookie is feeling better very soon.

even taking 2 out of 3, with all of the injuries to the starting staff and Bauer not pitching well..........

might as well get a look at the kids.........

The interesting thing becomes ... deal Lindor now if you don't think you compete next year or in 2021 OR hold him for one more run??

even taking 2 out of 3, with all of the injuries to the starting staff and Bauer not pitching well..........

might as well get a look at the kids.........

The interesting thing becomes ... deal Lindor now if you don't think you compete next year or in 2021 OR hold him for one more run??
I say hold, because I don't think the haul would be much different now versus one year from now.  

With Sunshine in the forcast for Monday, I'm hoping this ship gets righted over the next three weeks.  I'd rather see a buyer than a seller.  I think the Tribe is closer to being a couple of players from being a contender vs a complete rebuild.  Kipnis' salary is killing us.  I'd like to see Bradley come up to see how he handles big-league pitching.  Bauers could probably use a week or so in AAA to work on a few tweaks of his own.  

I think Bauer is trying to rely too much on his "new" changeup.  His curve/slurve last year was doing just fine.  I'm hoping that with Sunshine back, Bauer has his buddy back with him and they will straighten things out.  Sucks to hear about Cookie, and with Kluber diminishing, I think Sunshine is a well needed shot in the arm.

Users who are viewing this thread