What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

** OFFICIAL ** Cleveland Guardians thread - spring training (4 Viewers)

The team listed its upcoming fan giveaways. Here’s a brief look at some of the highlights:

• April 8: Magnet schedule and car magnet (all fans)
• May 18: José Ramírez bobblehead (12,500 fans)
• June 1: Steven Kwan jersey (15,000 fans)
• June 19: Tote bag (10,000 fans)
• June 22: Josh Naylor bobblehead (15,000 fans)
• July 3: Hawaiian shirt (15,000 fans)
• July 6: Triston McKenzie bobblehead (15,000 fans)
• July 20: Bo Naylor jersey (15,000 fans)
• July 25: Beach towel (10,000 fans)
• Aug. 3: Guardians Hall of Fame bobblehead (15,000 fans)
• Aug. 31: Andrés Giménez jersey (12,500 fans)
• Sept. 14: Lightweight hoodie (10,000 fans)

Who are some new faces fans should know?
The biggest new face will be manager Stephen Vogt, who is replacing Terry Francona. When it comes to players on the 40-man roster, new additions include: right-handers Scott Barlow and Ben Lively, catcher Austin Hedges (although he’s hardly a new face), infielder Deyvison De Los Santos and outfielder Estevan Florial.

Who are some of the top prospects invited to Major League camp?
Those in MLB Pipeline’s Top 30 prospects on the Guardians’ 40-man roster:
No. 1 Brayan Rocchio, SS/2B
No. 3 Daniel Espino, RHP
No. 5 George Valera, OF
No. 6 Juan Brito, INF
No. 10 Angel Martínez, INF
No. 11 Joey Cantillo, LHP
No. 12 Deyvison De Los Santos, 3B/1B
No. 15 José Tena, SS
No. 25 Johnathan Rodriguez, OF
No. 29 Jhonkensy Noel, OF/3B/1B

It’s baseball season! Pitchers and catchers have officially reported to Goodyear, Ariz., and I’ll do my best to give you all the insight from Guardians camp. Let’s get into the good stuff:
For the past seven years, Daniel Espino has told himself the same thing: “I was born with a destiny and nobody can stop that.”

Nobody. Nothing. And certainly, he hopes, no injury.

If you went back to 16-year-old Espino, he couldn’t have predicted the number of bumps he’d experience in his professional career -- all before he’d even reach the big leagues. He was on the fast track to being the next pitching star to come through the Cleveland system after he was selected in the first round of the 2019 MLB Draft. His stuff has always been electric and the longer he was in the Minor League system, the more the hype around him built.

Entering the 2022 season, Espino sat at No. 1 on MLB Pipeline’s Top 30 Guardians prospects list and No. 14 on Pipeline’s overall Top 100 list. At the time, his heater topped out at 103 mph and he had a plus-plus slider that could either work in the mid-80s with depth or could reach 93 mph with more horizontal action (like a sweeper).

He pitched to a combined 3.73 ERA with 152 strikeouts in 91 2/3 innings between Single-A Lynchburg and High-A Lake County in 2021. At the beginning of ’22 with Akron, Espino racked up 35 strikeouts in 18 1/3 frames, including a 14-strikeout performance on April 23. Then, everything came to a crashing halt.

Espino was sidelined shortly after that April 23 outing with patellar tendinitis, which didn’t seem too concerning. But as he was recovering from that, he sustained a right shoulder injury that would nag him for the next year. He spent the following winter building back up, hoping that everything he suffered through in 2022 was behind him, but when he arrived at Spring Training his throwing shoulder continued to flare up. That’s when the team sought surgical answers.

Espino underwent surgery last May and was given a 12- to 14-month recovery window. Knowing just how much he’s gone through since he was last in a game nearly two years ago, the Guardians will be extra careful with his build up. That’s why his goals for 2024 are so simple:
“Get healthy. Pitch one game.”
In order to get back into a regular routine -- one that can allow him to dream about his Major League debut in the near future again -- Espino has to simply start with making one start. From there, he can let his momentum build.

Espino has been able to rely on his family, teammates and those at the Arizona complex to make sure he doesn’t get down on himself through this process. He’s taken extra time to learn about his body and figure out what it needs in order to recover properly moving forward. Although he admitted it’s difficult at times to not get antsy for his return to play, he understands what he needs to do to make this happen. And now, the finish line is in sight.

“I’m trying to enjoy being around these guys, trying to enjoy this opportunity and that’s it,” Espino said. “I’m a believer and I know that God has something prepared for me and He’s not gonna put something in front of me that I’m not gonna be able to handle.”

Shane Bieber discussed how his time spent at Driveline this offseason has increased his velocity and added more break to his curveball.

• No plans for viewing the total solar eclipse on April 8? The Guardians will be opening the gates of Progressive Field at 2 p.m. ET to witness the historic event before they celebrate their home opener at 5:10 p.m. ET.

Carlos Carrasco is home. Now, he’s fighting for a roster spot.

Ah, yes. My favorite category. It’s those little videos or pictures that pop up on social media that prompt my bestie Sarah Langs to post those famous words: Baseball is the Best! This game gives us so many moments away from the action on the field that are heartwarming, uplifting and joyful that prove baseball is, well, the best. We got to see one first hand this week in Guardians camp.

Manager Stephen Vogt had been excited to tell each person he talked to that his family was going to be in town, beginning on Saturday. It’s difficult for three kids in school to take time away to travel with Dad wherever he needs to be, so the distance can be difficult to deal with. But that time apart makes reunions even sweeter. Vogt was on the field on Saturday when his family was ushered in by Guardians security after landing in the desert. He peered over his shoulder, seeing the Vogt contingent making its way toward him, so he walked behind the backstop, out in the open, so his kids could see him.

Then, the sweetest little voices began yelling, “Daddy!” as his youngest son, Bennett , took off to leap into his arms. A big group hug in the middle of the Goodyear Spring Training complex ended with Bennett taking the bat that was in Vogt’s hands and immediately practicing his swing.

Vogt showed his kids and wife, Alyssa, around the complex. The kids were so excited to wave to Craig Albernaz, who has been close to Vogt for the last decade. The boys took turns showing Guardians general manager Mike Chernoff their bats (and their best swings) after Vogt’s daughter, Payton, took her turn with the big leaguer’s bat.

As they left the field, they met outfielders Steven Kwan and Will Brennan, shaking their hands and smiling at their new friends. The family collectively turned, each wearing some form of Guardians gear, and walked in to Dad’s new office.

Deyvison De Los Santos isn’t in an easy position. He’s just 20 years old, has yet to play above Double-A and is now suddenly competing for a spot on the Major League roster. Thankfully for him, there’s a guy on the other side of the clubhouse who has some wisdom to share.

More than a decade ago, fellow Dominican Republic native José Ramírez made the jump from Double-A to the Majors. Sure, he had stints in Triple-A in the following few seasons, but he’s well aware of the trials of handling a transition that drastic. He can easily relate to De Los Santos.

Ramírez and De Los Santos share a home country and play the same position. It makes it natural for De Los Santos to want to gravitate toward Ramírez. Oh, and Ramírez just so happens to be one of the best players in the Majors.

“I’m super excited and I feel very lucky to be around a player that I look up to, to be like him at some point in my career,” De Los Santos said through team interpreter Agustin Rivero. “So it’s really exciting to have him around on my team.”

The difference with De Los Santos is that his situation is a little more complex -- at least for the Guardians’ sake. Because he’s a Rule 5 Draft pick, if he doesn’t make the Opening Day roster, he must be offered back to the D-backs. Cleveland sees something in De Los Santos, especially when it comes to his power potential, so the club is keen on finding a way to keep him in the organization. It’ll be up to him to prove he can handle it.

“It’s been a hustle to compete to get here,” De Los Santos said. “So for me, it’s no pressure. I’m just excited to have the opportunity and to have it so close.”

Third base is taken by Ramírez. First base is taken by Josh Naylor. So, De Los Santos immediately volunteered to practice in the outfield to try to be as versatile and useful as possible. So far, the Guardians have been pleased with the results.

“He carries himself a lot older than 20,” Guardians manager Stephen Vogt said. “He’s mature. He’s confident. Obviously, the power is real. We’ve seen it in batting practice, we’ve also seen it in live BPs. And he’s also working hard at his defense -- I think that’s something I need to give credit to: we’re throwing him all over the diamond.”

No, De Los Santos didn’t make a grand statement in the Cactus League opener on Saturday. He went 0-for-3 with two strikeouts. But this is only the beginning. The Guardians have seen how hard he’s worked behind the scenes. They’ve seen him study Ramírez’s swing and make similar adjustments to his own. They’ve seen one of the best players in the game throw his arm around the team’s No. 12 prospect, as ranked by MLB Pipeline, and try to steer him in the right direction.

There are many hurdles ahead of him to make this dream become a reality, but there are also plenty of reasons to believe it’s possible.

“I feel it’s all about his talent, his desire to play,” Ramírez said through Rivero. “And I feel he’s ready to compete.”

Users who are viewing this thread