What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

** OFFICIAL ** Cleveland Guardians thread - spring training (4 Viewers)

The Tribe is setting records for all time low attendance.. on 2 straight days. I wonder how much lower it can get tomorrow night?

The Tribe is setting records for all time low attendance.. on 2 straight days. I wonder how much lower it can get tomorrow night?
It won't be as bad as Saturday and Sunday, but there will be more Boston fans than Cleveland fans. Consensus around here is that unless the weather is nice no one is going to go watch a farm team for the Yankees and the Phillies.

'MAC_32 said:
'Angry Beavers said:
It won't be as bad as Saturday and Sunday, but there will be more Boston fans than Cleveland fans. Consensus around here is that unless the weather is nice no one is going to go watch a farm team for the Yankees and the Phillies.
Place is like a ghost town.ETA: Suck it Boston!

Last edited by a moderator:
Tribe pitching...First two games: 23 runsLast four games: 6 runs :thumbup: :thumbup:
Really good to see Carmona turn it around after that first outing. Get that ERA down to a reasonable number, and maybe come July we can get another can't miss prospect who also can't hit and can't stay healthy. :thumbup:

And now Carrasco with a nice outing, and Hafner with a bomb off the restaurant glass.Also, saw this little blurb:

Cleveland RHP Fausto Carmona's performance in his second start of the season was quite a change from his outing in the Indians' season opener, when he allowed 11 hits and was charged with 10 runs against the White Sox. In his second game of 2011, Carmona pitched seven innings while allowing only two hits and no runs. He's the first major league pitcher in 106 years to allow 10 or more runs in his first start of a season and then no runs in his next start, without relief appearances between those games. The last pitcher to do that was a guy named **** Harley for the 1905 Boston Beaneaters.

It seems like the fire sale of the 2008 ALCS team is starting to pay dividends. The core young guys are only going to continue to get better. Hard not to get excited about Cabrera, Santana, LaPorta, Brantley, Perez and the rest.

If I had to make a prediction, I'd say this team finishes around .500 this year. The lack of pitching depth will eventually catch up to them. But I expect them to take another step in 2012 and make a strong push for the division.

It seems like the fire sale of the 2008 ALCS team is starting to pay dividends. The core young guys are only going to continue to get better. Hard not to get excited about Cabrera, Santana, LaPorta, Brantley, Perez and the rest.

If I had to make a prediction, I'd say this team finishes around .500 this year. The lack of pitching depth will eventually catch up to them. But I expect them to take another step in 2012 and make a strong push for the division.
agree...had them pegged for around 75 wins

There is still time to adjust this low ### total!

'Bobcat10 said:

So you are confident that they'll win more than 85 or so? Long season, my man. But it has been a lot of fun to watch. Once the weather heats up the Jake is going to be a lot of fun.

'Bobcat10 said:

So you are confident that they'll win more than 85 or so? Long season, my man. But it has been a lot of fun to watch. Once the weather heats up the Jake is going to be a lot of fun.
I'm just razzin' Wade. New around here? Welcome aboard! :banned: Although I won't be suprised to see these guys hang around. Division is gonna be a crapshoot imo.

'Bobcat10 said:

<_< might have to after last night :unsure:

Let's say that the Tribe only plays .500 ball the rest of the way...

The Tigers have to go 74-58 the rest of the way,

Twins 76-57

White Sox 76-54..

Just to tie.

I don't see that happening.

Second time this year Tribe could have taken a series in Anaheim but let it slip away. :kicksrock:

With the pitching they faced, will take that 3-3 road trip though. :thumbup:

Hopefully the weather cooperates this weekend and we take a series from the M's. We miss Felix, but I think Pineda is scheduled Sunday.

A Lazy Sunday talks about players to be "obtained" later this year, among other things.

But, there's also this:

A

nother writer for BP, Jay Jaffe, has his own system for determine who will and won’t make the playoffs in 2011 based on the importance of the 30-game mark. Jaffe’s research has found that 30 games into the season is enough to make some statistically significant judgements about a team's playoff chances. The article is subscriber only, so I’ll just take this snippet for you:

At the 30-game point, the data—at least at the extremes, which is what's most pertinent to our discussion—become truly meaningful. Of the 115 teams that started 20-10 or better, just seven failed to finish with a winning record; of the 113 teams that started 10-20 or worse, only eight finished above .500. Combining the data, just 15 of the 228 teams on the extremes, or 6.6%, changed course by the end of the season. Looking at the 20-game data, 25 of the 215 teams—11.6%—on the extremes (14 or more wins or losses) changed course. And out of the 59 teams that started 22-8 or better, or 8-22 or worse, just one—the 1995 Phillies—made a complete about-face by season's end.

Trust me when I tell you I am saving you a lot of complex math here, and we’ll just skip to the part where Jaffe’s formula predicts a 1st place finish and a final winning percentage of .529 for the Wahoo Warriors this year. The data is based on 70 years’ worth of real, actual baseball, and while it does involve quite a bit of math that I don’t really understand, I’m a lot more comfortable with Jaffe’s numbers than I am with the BP Odds Report.
But, then again, if there's any team that could wreck the formula it's the Indians. :unsure: :scared:

Users who are viewing this thread