What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Android apps (2 Viewers)

For those of us who just got a new phone (Evo) and aren't very smart phone proficient (basically talk, text, email only), where's a good site/place to go to learn to get the most out of the phone?

BlueDredSo said:
Sorry if you guys already discussed this. Is there any way to prevent these damn thing from randomly deleting all of your text messages? Happens to me probably once every 3 weeks or so. It's not that I really need the old texts, but being able to control that would be nice.Also, TuneIn only saves my preset stations for about 3 days and then they disappear. What's up with that?
Try goSMS just make sure you turn off update notifications

Well, after a couple of days, I finally got through the thread, got rooted, and am generally pretty happy with it. Some things that I have and like:

Dolphin Browser HD- any good? Better than regular browser or Opera?

Dropbox

DX/D2 Overclocker - Got my Droid X to 1.3 Ghz easily and stable

EPL Buddy

Fast Web Installer

Root Explorer

Titanium Backup

Wireless Tether - is this free? Easy to use?

z4root

Next up...........figuring out how to make my own custom boot animation.
Can you explain the ones above a little more please. Cost, what they do, any good, etc.Thanks,

Well, after a couple of days, I finally got through the thread, got rooted, and am generally pretty happy with it. Some things that I have and like:

Dropbox

EPL Buddy

Fast Web Installer

Root Explorer

Titanium Backup

z4root

Can you explain the ones above a little more please. Cost, what they do, any good, etc.Thanks,
I'm not Smoovy, but I use Dolphin and Wireless Tether also. Dolphin is solid, with tabbed browsing, add-ons, gestures and just an all around solid package for a mobile browser. It's free, so no reason not to try it if you're looking for a different browser. The only thing I don't like about it is that the bookmark widget in LauncherPro only works with the native browser. Wireless Tether is also free, very simple to use, but only for rooted phones. This app is probably the primary reason I rooted my phone.

Buddy Ball 2K3 said:
Starting using a new personal finance app called EasyMoney. It has a free 1 month trial and after that its $10.00. Little pricey for an app but I think I might be hooked.

Reviews

Down Load / Bar Code
Have you ever used Mint? Wondering if you like this better, or if this is your first personal finance app.

Buddy Ball 2K3 said:
Starting using a new personal finance app called EasyMoney. It has a free 1 month trial and after that its $10.00. Little pricey for an app but I think I might be hooked.

Reviews

Down Load / Bar Code
Have you ever used Mint? Wondering if you like this better, or if this is your first personal finance app.
I have mint as well. However Mint does not cover a few of my financial institutions like my Credit Union. I still use mint to track all of my spending on my CC in which I pay for almost everything.

BlueDredSo said:
Sorry if you guys already discussed this. Is there any way to prevent these damn thing from randomly deleting all of your text messages? Happens to me probably once every 3 weeks or so. It's not that I really need the old texts, but being able to control that would be nice.

Also, TuneIn only saves my preset stations for about 3 days and then they disappear. What's up with that?
Which phone do you have? Just curious. It seems there's an issue with Motorola Droids randomly deleting all texts. I had it happen a couple of times. Hasn't happened since 1) dropping it down to keeping no more than 100 messages in any thread and 2) since installing sms backup and restore as an insurance in case I needed a restore.http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=5133

I had tunein for a few days but I believe that was the app that caused me to no longer be able to use steering wheel controls to skip songs in the music app and pandora so I removed it.

BlueDredSo said:
Sorry if you guys already discussed this. Is there any way to prevent these damn thing from randomly deleting all of your text messages? Happens to me probably once every 3 weeks or so. It's not that I really need the old texts, but being able to control that would be nice.

Also, TuneIn only saves my preset stations for about 3 days and then they disappear. What's up with that?
Which phone do you have? Just curious. It seems there's an issue with Motorola Droids randomly deleting all texts. I had it happen a couple of times. Hasn't happened since 1) dropping it down to keeping no more than 100 messages in any thread and 2) since installing sms backup and restore as an insurance in case I needed a restore.http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=5133

I had tunein for a few days but I believe that was the app that caused me to no longer be able to use steering wheel controls to skip songs in the music app and pandora so I removed it.
I have the HTC Incredible. I've tried limiting threads to 200 messages. Maybe I'll try 100 messages and see if that works. I thought unchecking 'Delete old messages when limits are reached' would solve the problem, but it hasn't. Also, is the app called 'SMS Backup and Restore' or just SMS Backup that gives you an option to restore? That sentence was a little confusing.I don't use Pandora, TuneIn, etc. in my car, but have thought about getting that Motorola bluetooth to hook that up. I'd be surprised if TuneIn was causing that steering wheel control problem, but I'm no expert.

Reviews

Down Load / Bar Code
-Track income and expenses for multiple accounts

-Support transfers between accounts

I assume this means bank accounts and not as in if i have an app and my wife has one on here phone and they keep track of both together?

I have the HTC Incredible. I've tried limiting threads to 200 messages. Maybe I'll try 100 messages and see if that works. I thought unchecking 'Delete old messages when limits are reached' would solve the problem, but it hasn't. Also, is the app called 'SMS Backup and Restore' or just SMS Backup that gives you an option to restore? That sentence was a little confusing.I don't use Pandora, TuneIn, etc. in my car, but have thought about getting that Motorola bluetooth to hook that up. I'd be surprised if TuneIn was causing that steering wheel control problem, but I'm no expert.
SMS Backup & Restore

Has anyone played the game Zenonia or Zenonia 2? Supposedly very similar to Zelda: a Link to the Past, but with 4 different customizable characters. Looks pretty cool and I might consider it being the first app I'll actually pay for.

How many have rooted their phones? Are you glad you did and did you have any issues?
My Eris has been rooted for almost a year. I've flashed several different Roms in that time. I have occasionally had issues, but I've always either been able to find a fix or just flashed a different Rom. I definitely glad I did it. This is a good place for information. Just find the "Android Development" board specific to your phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many have rooted their phones? Are you glad you did and did you have any issues?
My Eris has been rooted for almost a year. I've flashed several different Roms in that time. I have occasionally had issues, but I've always either been able to find a fix or just flashed a different Rom. I definitely glad I did it. This is a good place for information. Just find the "Android Development" board specific to your phone.
Several people have pointed me to that site... I have it bookmarked for when I finally get around to rooting. (which will be before I go on vacation this summer and want to teather my laptop to the phone)

Dropbox

EPL Buddy

Fast Web Installer

Root Explorer

Titanium Backup

z4root

I'm not Smoovy, but I use Dolphin and Wireless Tether also. Dolphin is solid, with tabbed browsing, add-ons, gestures and just an all around solid package for a mobile browser. It's free, so no reason not to try it if you're looking for a different browser. The only thing I don't like about it is that the bookmark widget in LauncherPro only works with the native browser. Wireless Tether is also free, very simple to use, but only for rooted phones. This app is probably the primary reason I rooted my phone.
Sorry, was on a timeout, but this guy nailed it. Currently using Wireless Tether to post this as we speak.

Gun Bros. is a pretty fun game, and really cool looking. Surprisingly good graphics, smooth, and simple.

Oh yeah, it's also FREE

You can tether your phone without rooting it, right? Also, if you tether your phone, I assume that a laptop will have internet access even while driving in a car?

You can tether your phone without rooting it, right?
yes, but not for free.
Also, if you tether your phone, I assume that a laptop will have internet access even while driving in a car?
yep.
What do you mean not for free? Who do you have to pay since you're using your phone's already paid for internet access?
Verizon charges an extra $20 a month to be able to use tethering.

You can tether your phone without rooting it, right?
yes, but not for free.
Also, if you tether your phone, I assume that a laptop will have internet access even while driving in a car?
yep.
What do you mean not for free? Who do you have to pay since you're using your phone's already paid for internet access?
There are apps that you can use. Easytehter for example. There are other paid apps that you can "bypass" the phone tehtering through verizon

There are apps that you can use. Easytehter for example. There are other paid apps that you can "bypass" the phone tehtering through verizon
I use PDA Net, there is a free one month trial but after that you have to pay something like $20 for the program or you can keep using the trial but you won't be able to access any https sites. I probably only use it once every month or so, but it was worth the $20 for the 1.5 years I've had it. Only problem is it is against your contract with Verizon, but unless you are downloading tons of crap I don't think they would ever know.

Kev4029 said:
I use PDA Net, there is a free one month trial but after that you have to pay something like $20 for the program or you can keep using the trial but you won't be able to access any https sites. I probably only use it once every month or so, but it was worth the $20 for the 1.5 years I've had it. Only problem is it is against your contract with Verizon, but unless you are downloading tons of crap I don't think they would ever know.
I've found PDANet to be extremely useful.

Kev4029 said:
I've found PDANet to be extremely useful.
:pickle: It works great on the Evo.

belljr said:
SmoovySmoov said:
James Daulton said:
Oh, I know. I was just answering his question about whether or not it's normally free. I use Wireless Tether, but I'm rooted.

New Angry Birds level to be released in a Super Bowl commercial for some animated Rio bird movie. A code will be in a single frame of the commercial to download, so have your DVRs ready. Or, just wait a day and ten thousand people will post the link.

belljr said:
SmoovySmoov said:
James Daulton said:
Oh, I know. I was just answering his question about whether or not it's normally free. I use Wireless Tether, but I'm rooted.
My phone has been rooted for a few months now. I don't flash any roms and have never had a problem.I use Barnacle wifi tetherTitanium backup to freeze apps I don't want

I bought a double battery from best buy and installed juicedefender from the app store. My eve battery now lasts two full days with heavy use.

I bought a double battery from best buy and installed juicedefender from the app store. My eve battery now lasts two full days with heavy use.
i installed juice defender a weeks ago and notice longer battery life on my incredible

Any good recs for a podcast manager? I currently use beyondpod, and I'm beginning to hate it. Evo here
I use Google Listen....so no, I can't recommend a good podcast manager :shrug:
Haha, I'm in the same boat. Listen does the job, I guess. Don't expect to find a podcast through Listen. Use Google Reader to set up your podcasts, and then use Listen to well, listen to your podcast. Even with that, I have issues with it. I'll be 15 minutes into a podcast, and it jumps back to the beginning. Also, sometimes it gives me an error and won't play. I'd heard good things about BeyondPod, but didn't want to pay the money for it.

Users who are viewing this thread