What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (14 Viewers)

Another vote for "Downfall". :thumbup: Really good movie about the last days of Hitler. in his bunker in Berlin The guy who played Hitler did a superb job.
Love this movie. I like movies that do not tell me how I should feel about something. We know Nazis were bad. Duh. But by simply putting these well-written characters on screen without judgment, I can see a shred of humanity in some of them.
Just finished watching Downfall..what a powerful movie. I agree with Jdogg, it was refreshing to see the characters in a non documentary setting where you let the characters and their actions speak for themselves. After watching the movie, I did some research and found a book written by the tall SS Officer that was guarding Hitler's room and was responsible for burning his body (Heinz Linge). Linge was Hitler's chauffeur and wrote a memoir that received very good reviews on Amazon. I bought it and am very looking forward to reading it.This is a great thread with alot of fantastic recommendations...keep i'm coming.
We need more stories about the sensitive and whimsical side of Adolf Hitler. I hear that he loved tulips, which is the real reason he invaded the Netherlands.

Cant remember the last movie I posted in here, but by recent Instant Watches have been

World's Greatest Dad - Never been a Robin Williams fan at all, but Netflix recommended this for me and since it was rated R, I gave it chance. Easily the funniest comedy Ive seen Williams in and defintiely worth a watch.

Ghosts of Mars - Im not sure if this is a guilty pleasure or one of those movies that is so bad its good, but Ive seen this movie a few times now and love it everytime. Natasha Henstridge, Ice Cube, Jason Statham, and Pam Grier make for a nice ensemble cast in this cheesy sci-fi flick.

Hobo With A Shotgun - In the same vein as the recent Tarantino and Rodriguez Grindhouse movies, except even more violent and gore-filled. Rutget Hauer is bad ### as the title character.

The Man Who Knew Too Little - Very underrated Bill Murray comedy. Probably in my top 5 Murray comedies, seriously.

Very Bad Things - One of the few movies that I really didnt like when I first saw it, but after a handful or more viewings, this gets better everytime. Something about it keeps me coming back every couple years to watch it, maybe its because Ive never seen another movie like it. Im still not sure if this is really a dark comedy. More of a movie where things keep going awry or getting worse, but its funny at the same time. Favreau, Piven, Slater, even Cameron Diaz, and a personal favorite Daniel Stern are all great here. Peter Berg is a pretty underrated writer/director (this, Friday Night Lights, The Kingdom, The Rundown, The Losers) and I hope he starts doing more work behind the camera.

Monsters - Very low budget indie sci-fi movie that didnt even have a script for many scenes. Although you do actually see the Monsters a couple times so its technically sci-fi, theyre mostly a backdrop for the story/movie and its much more of a drama than a thriller. I expected more of a thriller/horror type movie, but I like the story enough that it kept me interested.

High Life - indie dark comedy of sorts where a group of morphine addicts in 1983 decide to rob ATM's to support their habit, and things unravel even more from there. Entertaining and has some good dialogue. Worth watching for another very good performance from Timothy Olyphant.

Red - Not the one with Willis/Malkovich/Mirren. This one stars Brian Cox as a guy who lives a quiet life in the country with just his dog, Red, until a group of teens try to rob him when he's fishing and up end murdering his dog. He then tries to figure out how to avenge his dog and make the teens pay. Been a fan of Brian Cox since Braveheart, and he's always struck me as an excellent character actor. He finally got a shot as the lead actor here and puts on a great performance and really carries this slow building revenge thriller.

Not recommended:

Humpday

Good Neighbors

Another vote for "Downfall". :thumbup: Really good movie about the last days of Hitler. in his bunker in Berlin The guy who played Hitler did a superb job.
Love this movie. I like movies that do not tell me how I should feel about something. We know Nazis were bad. Duh. But by simply putting these well-written characters on screen without judgment, I can see a shred of humanity in some of them.
Just finished watching Downfall..what a powerful movie. I agree with Jdogg, it was refreshing to see the characters in a non documentary setting where you let the characters and their actions speak for themselves. After watching the movie, I did some research and found a book written by the tall SS Officer that was guarding Hitler's room and was responsible for burning his body (Heinz Linge). Linge was Hitler's chauffeur and wrote a memoir that received very good reviews on Amazon. I bought it and am very looking forward to reading it.This is a great thread with alot of fantastic recommendations...keep i'm coming.
:thumbup:

We need more stories about the sensitive and whimsical side of Adolf Hitler. I hear that he loved tulips, which is the real reason he invaded the Netherlands.
I hear HItler liked knock knock jokes.

Cant remember the last movie I posted in here, but by recent Instant Watches have been

World's Greatest Dad - Never been a Robin Williams fan at all, but Netflix recommended this for me and since it was rated R, I gave it chance. Easily the funniest comedy Ive seen Williams in and defintiely worth a watch.

Ghosts of Mars - Im not sure if this is a guilty pleasure or one of those movies that is so bad its good, but Ive seen this movie a few times now and love it everytime. Natasha Henstridge, Ice Cube, Jason Statham, and Pam Grier make for a nice ensemble cast in this cheesy sci-fi flick.

Very Bad Things - One of the few movies that I really didnt like when I first saw it, but after a handful or more viewings, this gets better everytime. Something about it keeps me coming back every couple years to watch it, maybe its because Ive never seen another movie like it. Im still not sure if this is really a dark comedy. More of a movie where things keep going awry or getting worse, but its funny at the same time. Favreau, Piven, Slater, even Cameron Diaz, and a personal favorite Daniel Stern are all great here. Peter Berg is a pretty underrated writer/director (this, Friday Night Lights, The Kingdom, The Rundown, The Losers) and I hope he starts doing more work behind the camera.
Ghost of Mars is definitely a guilty pleasure. You get trains, zombies, and MARS!Strange to me that your not sure if Very Bad Things was supposed to be funny but you thought World's Greatest Dad was funny. I didn't think it was possible for a movie to offend me, but World's Greatest Dad made me really uncomfortable. I saw VBT's in theatres as a teen, there were only about a dozen people opening weekend, but 8 of them walked out by the half way point. To this day it's probably my all time favorite dark comedy.

Ghost of Mars is definitely a guilty pleasure. You get trains, zombies, and MARS!
Ghost of Mars is pretty dumb, but I can see why you'd like it as a popcorn flick. I think the little moment that stood out for me as extra ridiculous is when that rag tag group breaks out of their cells, arm themselves, and as they exit the building, they all adopt these highly-trained combat postures with their weapons. What, that post-menopausal housewife was in special forces?

Ghost of Mars is definitely a guilty pleasure. You get trains, zombies, and MARS!
Ghost of Mars is pretty dumb, but I can see why you'd like it as a popcorn flick. I think the little moment that stood out for me as extra ridiculous is when that rag tag group breaks out of their cells, arm themselves, and as they exit the building, they all adopt these highly-trained combat postures with their weapons. What, that post-menopausal housewife was in special forces?
THERE'S SNAKES OUT THERE THIS BIG!??!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!!?

I hear HItler liked knock knock jokes.
And scrapbooking.

Ghost of Mars is definitely a guilty pleasure. You get trains, zombies, and MARS!Strange to me that your not sure if Very Bad Things was supposed to be funny but you thought World's Greatest Dad was funny. I didn't think it was possible for a movie to offend me, but World's Greatest Dad made me really uncomfortable. I saw VBT's in theatres as a teen, there were only about a dozen people opening weekend, but 8 of them walked out by the half way point. To this day it's probably my all time favorite dark comedy.
Yep, plus the miner zombies look so ridiculous it furthers how bad yet awesome this movie is. John Carpenter also somehow makes what is a /creepy/scary concept in Fallen (a violent/evil spirit leaving a body when it dies and possessing another) a laughable one in Ghosts of Mars.As for VBT, I definitely think its a comedy and is very funny, Im just not sure its a dark comedy. The killing of your best friends is presented in such a "no big deal" and lighthearted manner, it doesnt really come across like most dark comedies. Its almost just like the minimal violence makes it a dark comedy, but I wouldnt call Zombieland and Pineapple Express, etc dark comedies because of their violence. I dont know, I think its easy yet at the same time hard to call it a dark comedy.

Maybe this is a good reason/excuse to watch Very Bad Things again tonight though :popcorn:

Yep, plus the miner zombies look so ridiculous it furthers how bad yet awesome this movie is. John Carpenter also somehow makes what is a /creepy/scary concept in Fallen (a violent/evil spirit leaving a body when it dies and possessing another) a laughable one in Ghosts of Mars.As for VBT, I definitely think its a comedy and is very funny, Im just not sure its a dark comedy. The killing of your best friends is presented in such a "no big deal" and lighthearted manner, it doesnt really come across like most dark comedies. Its almost just like the minimal violence makes it a dark comedy, but I wouldnt call Zombieland and Pineapple Express, etc dark comedies because of their violence. I dont know, I think its easy yet at the same time hard to call it a dark comedy.

Maybe this is a good reason/excuse to watch Very Bad Things again tonight though :popcorn:
Someone getting murdered by being stabbed in the heart with a corkscrew and locked in a bathroom until they bleed up and are cut with chainsaws is.....minimal violence?For some reason I've always had a soft spot for the kind of small budget dark comedies that don't always hit their mark. VBT, One Night at McCools, Ice Harvest, Death to Smoochy. VBT is easily the best of the bunch.

Someone getting murdered by being stabbed in the heart with a corkscrew and locked in a bathroom until they bleed up and are cut with chainsaws is.....minimal violence?For some reason I've always had a soft spot for the kind of small budget dark comedies that don't always hit their mark. VBT, One Night at McCools, Ice Harvest, Death to Smoochy. VBT is easily the best of the bunch.
Yeah, Im probably overthinking this. Either way, still love it. Dont remember much from Death to Smoochy, but I do remember liking all 4 of those movies. Ice Harvest might give VBT a run for its money for me.

Yeah, Im probably overthinking this. Either way, still love it. Dont remember much from Death to Smoochy, but I do remember liking all 4 of those movies. Ice Harvest might give VBT a run for its money for me.
As snow falls, so falls Wichita Falls.

If you like spy/action movies I highly recommend Ronin. It's one of my favorite DeNiro movies and just a great movie in general.

I watched House of the Devil last night because a) it was highly recommended in here, and b) it was coming off of streaming today. A solid meh.

The Good: The 70's/80's throwbacks were done really well. It did seem to be taking place in that time. The music was good, and most of the camera work was good.

The Bad: Once the story was set up, the second half of the movie is basically the girl exploring the house. Repeatedly. Like 3 times. For a good long stretch. Also, what was with the camera becoming stationary inside a room, to show the girl walk in and out of the room 3 times while she explores? Groundbreaking. Also, I'm sure there was something to her finding the picture, remembering the Volvo when they pulled up, and then going outside to look, but I didn't get it.

Overall, I would say "Better than a lot of scary movies that come out, and a nice throwback to the movies of another time, but in the end, not much there." (2.5/5)

I watched House of the Devil last night because a) it was highly recommended in here, and b) it was coming off of streaming today. A solid meh.

The Good: The 70's/80's throwbacks were done really well. It did seem to be taking place in that time. The music was good, and most of the camera work was good.

The Bad: Once the story was set up, the second half of the movie is basically the girl exploring the house. Repeatedly. Like 3 times. For a good long stretch. Also, what was with the camera becoming stationary inside a room, to show the girl walk in and out of the room 3 times while she explores? Groundbreaking. Also, I'm sure there was something to her finding the picture, remembering the Volvo when they pulled up, and then going outside to look, but I didn't get it.

Overall, I would say "Better than a lot of scary movies that come out, and a nice throwback to the movies of another time, but in the end, not much there." (2.5/5)
I dont really remember this, but I guess it didnt bother me because of how slow the build up was prior to that point. Id guess the point of it was that as the viewer you didnt know when someone/something was going to happen, so they used that as a tension builder.Id probably go more like 3.4/5

Hello Mr. Bond...and the 3 titles I couldn't find magically appeared today.
Instantwatcher isn't always right.
They were in my que on Netflix but not coming up on my Blu Ray.
Oh, nvm then.If you liked Dead Man you should check out Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai, another Jarmusch film.
Forest Whitaker samurai assassin + Wu Tang soundtrack + Jarmusch = hugest :moneybag: ever

Hello Mr. Bond...and the 3 titles I couldn't find magically appeared today.
Instantwatcher isn't always right.
They were in my que on Netflix but not coming up on my Blu Ray.
Oh, nvm then.If you liked Dead Man you should check out Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai, another Jarmusch film.
Forest Whitaker samurai assassin reading from the Hagakure + Wu Tang soundtrack + Jarmusch = hugest :moneybag: ever
Fixed.

Anyone mention 'The League' yet? Haven't read the whole thread. Hilarious show and i'm sure everyone here would like the premise the show is based on.

Pulling John

Documentary about an arm wrestler who went undefeated for 25 years. Awesome on every level. Like watching a real life Rocky. His Russian competitor is an absolute beast.

5/5

MUST SEE!

Wife loves Justin Timberlake and I dig Mila Kunis so we're watching "Friends With Benefits."

What a piece of ####.

Timberlake is a decent actor. Can't believe he signed up for this. He must have seen "roll around naked with Mila Kunis" in the script and said "IN."

I'm really digging Intelligence :thumbup:

Smartly plotted and smoothly acted, this cops-and-criminals drama is set in Vancouver, where Mary Spalding (Klea Scott) is the regional director of the government's Organized Crime Unit, and cocky Jimmy Spalding (Ian Tracey) heads a successful pot-smuggling ring. When unforeseen events result in unexpected circumstances, the two supposed enemies become unlikely bedfellows to save their distinct but closely linked franchises.
Billed as "Canada's The Wire"
Not sure if anyone's mentioned it, but Davinci's Inquest is a solid show. It mostly depends if you like the lead (Nicholas Campbell), as its pretty much his show. He plays a coroner in Vancouver, but is more like a political/police procedure drama/soap.

OK Halloween weekend is upon us. What are some good horror movies I can stream? I little about horror movies as this is about the only time of the year I have any desire to watch them.
Good idea. Some that I've seen or am interested in seeing...The Exorcist

Night of the Living Dead

The Thing

Let Me In

The Fly ('58 and '86 versions)

Cronos

Requiem

From Dusk Til Dawn

An American Werewolf in London

The Howling

The Crazies

Paranormal Activity 1 & 2

Dead Snow

Them

Nosferatu

Funny Games

Night Watch

The Walking Dead (season 1)
Realize I'm about 2 months late to the party, but had to talk about Funny Games. I've seen the version with Naomi Watts and Tim Roth. Not on Netflix streaming, but easily one of my favorite movies in general, not just the Horror genre, just incredibly well done and scary as s***. I highly recommend seeing the American version. I'm cool with subtitles, but is the Austrian (German language track) version any different? Thinking of giving it a spin, TIA.

OK Halloween weekend is upon us. What are some good horror movies I can stream? I little about horror movies as this is about the only time of the year I have any desire to watch them.
Good idea. Some that I've seen or am interested in seeing...The Exorcist

Night of the Living Dead

The Thing

Let Me In

The Fly ('58 and '86 versions)

Cronos

Requiem

From Dusk Til Dawn

An American Werewolf in London

The Howling

The Crazies

Paranormal Activity 1 & 2

Dead Snow

Them

Nosferatu

Funny Games

Night Watch

The Walking Dead (season 1)
Realize I'm about 2 months late to the party, but had to talk about Funny Games. I've seen the version with Naomi Watts and Tim Roth. Not on Netflix streaming, but easily one of my favorite movies in general, not just the Horror genre, just incredibly well done and scary as s***. I highly recommend seeing the American version. I'm cool with subtitles, but is the Austrian (German language track) version any different? Thinking of giving it a spin, TIA.
I could not disagree with a statement more. I can't find my original post on here, but when I watched it years ago, I spit out something like a 10,000 word essay on just how horrible it is. I've blocked many of the things that were so horrible out of my mind, but I remember not buying the menacing factor of two 120 pound school kids. I remember a lot of the actions, like someone in the family having an opportunity to escape, and running back towards the house. It's bad. It's not scary. It's not well done. It sucks.

Well, alrighty then. Geez, so sue me, I enjoyed a movie that was very dark. Here's why.

I thought Funny Games was from a cinematic perspective excellent and well produced. It was so life-like, that is scared the s*** out of me watching it, submersing me into the lives of the victims and making me think constantly during the movie as things happened to them. I can't remember the last time a Hollywood movie got me mentally involved in the characters like Funny Games did. Whether or not you think that is scary (it is), it is excellent story telling and entertainment, which was what I took away from the American version of Funny Games. In this day and age of mindless crap from Hollywood, a movie that has you walking away going Holy S*** is great value.

You didn't enjoy the experience and I did, OK I get that. Funny Games will affect different people different ways, and from watching it I'd expect it to really affect some people watching it negatively. I enjoy really dark movies, a la Requiem for a Dream, Kids, etc. I think Funny Games is one of those movies where everyone should see it, experience it, and draw their own conclusions after watching it.

The movie is not a "don't watch," it is a "watch because it was excellently done and a high quality cinematic experience, and be prepared for a really, really dark experience before you go ahead and hit the 'Play' button."

Well, alrighty then. Geez, so sue me, I enjoyed a movie that was very dark. Here's why.

I thought Funny Games was from a cinematic perspective excellent and well produced. It was so life-like, that is scared the s*** out of me watching it, submersing me into the lives of the victims and making me think constantly during the movie as things happened to them. I can't remember the last time a Hollywood movie got me mentally involved in the characters like Funny Games did. Whether or not you think that is scary (it is), it is excellent story telling and entertainment, which was what I took away from the American version of Funny Games. In this day and age of mindless crap from Hollywood, a movie that has you walking away going Holy S*** is great value.

You didn't enjoy the experience and I did, OK I get that. Funny Games will affect different people different ways, and from watching it I'd expect it to really affect some people watching it negatively. I enjoy really dark movies, a la Requiem for a Dream, Kids, etc. I think Funny Games is one of those movies where everyone should see it, experience it, and draw their own conclusions after watching it.

The movie is not a "don't watch," it is a "watch because it was excellently done and a high quality cinematic experience, and be prepared for a really, really dark experience before you go ahead and hit the 'Play' button."
After searching through years of posts, finding the general time frame that I made the post, and then reconstructing it due to links not working anymore, I present to you the reasons why I hated that film:
Where to begin? I don't think a film has made me this angry since Jurassic Park III (nothing else was on).

1) You know how when you watch a horror or suspense movie, and the victim's do something really stupid, and it drives you crazy? Well, multiply that by a million, and you have my reaction watching this movie.

2) Okay. First off, let me say that I don't pretend to be the average FBG that can bench press 500 lbs. I'm not a big guy. I have lean muscle. Kinda like Brad Pitt in Fight Club, but nowhere near that cut. Anyway, if I was ever home invaded by two guys, and one looked like Mr. T and the other looked like Lou Ferrigno, I'd be helpless. There'd be nothing I could do. But if two 15-17 year olds came and home invaded me, bringing no weapon at all, that home invasion would last about 2 minutes.

3) If two 15-17 year olds show up and start acting strangely, one of my first questions would be "Why are you both wearing gloves?" Granted, the next victim couple asks one halfway through the movie, and the kid said he had ecsema, but still, nobody questioned that at the beginning in the Naomi Watts - Tim Roth household? Seriously?

4) In several threads I have discussed my love for my dog. Now, if my dog has been barking continuously at these kids, and one of those kids goes outside with a golf club, and suddenly my dog yelps in pain, I'm hauling ### to find out why. I'm not waiting 20 minutes once things get weird, and suddenly saying "Hey, where's the dog?" I would have taken care of that little problem real quick. </div>

<center>*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***</center></div>");document.close();</script>

<script type="text/javascript">mytagid = Math.floor( Math.random() * 100 );document.write("<div style='padding:4px;border:1px solid black;background-color:#FFC9A5;layer-background-color:#FFC9A5;'><div id='"+mytagid+"_closed' style='display:none'>5) Here's part one of the problem I have with Tim Roth's reaction in the movie. Now, after my wife has gotten upset, and ordered these kids to leave (which they aren't doing), the leader kid leans in to Tim Roth and says "You better watch to make sure we don't break YOUR eggs, old man." Tim Roth responds by slapping the kid. My reaction would have been "Okay. Take a swing. Give me a reason." And then after the youth threw his little punch, it would have been over from there.

6) Part II: Okay. Granted. He took a driver to the knee. We don't see the wound, but it's bleeding through his pants. So, I'm figuring a shattered kneecap, or something. Yes. That's serious. That limits the mobility a little bit. But after that, he just gives up for the rest of the movie. No effort whatsoever. It would have taken 5 or 10 minutes for the shock and pain to ease a little bit, and then I'm attempting some sort of bum rush move to protect my family. I mean, Damn!!!! Just turn into a pile of jelly for the rest of the movie?

7) So, they have an electric gate out front. Looks 6 to 7 feet tall. The little kid gets away. Oh, he's not in any hurry or anything. But he goes to climb the gate. Gets to the top and...........................climbs back down. What? Was there an unseen pool of piranha down there that we don't see? How hard is it to swing your leg over? Oh my God I'm really starting to hate this movie at this point.

8) The kid leisurely goes over to the next house, which everyone should have figured out that they had already killed these people, since that's where they came from. But he just strolls around, trying to hide. Not really very hard, either.

9) They kill the kid, and supposedly leave. Naomi Watts gets free, and they're trying to figure out how to get help. They spend a good 10 minutes trying to fix her phone the one kid dropped in the water. She says "Where's your phone?" "It's in the car." Is there a wall of flame surrounding the car at this point? How difficult is it to go out to the car? I mean, your leg is busted, and the magic key to the front door has mysteriously vanished, but your wife went out the window. She can't check it out?</div>

<center>*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***</center></div>");document.close();</script>

<script type="text/javascript">mytagid = Math.floor( Math.random() * 100 );document.write("<div style='padding:4px;border:1px solid black;background-color:#FFC9A5;layer-background-color:#FFC9A5;'><div id='"+mytagid+"_closed' style='display:none'>10) Now, on 99% of the doors that we have in our homes, there's a lock that you turn on the inside of the door, right? Maybe somewhere somebody has a door that you have to lock with a key. But, doesn't that mean that Tim Roth should have those keys? How, in the course of a couple of hours, did the kids get those keys, (in a scene we obviously don't see) and lock them inside, unable to open the door. And the same with the electric gate? Can't open it. Oh, these kids are geniuses.

11) So, Naomi Watts goes out onto a lit street. It's obvious that there are other houses there. But, she only goes to one. And then, they pick her up and bring her back.

12) In probably the worst scene that I have ever seen in a film, Naomi Watts grabs the gun and shoots one of the kids. The other kid says "Where's that remote?" and tears all the cushions off the couch. He presses back, like on a Tivo remote, and the whole movie goes back in reverse to the start of that scene. This time when Naomi Watts goes for the gun, the kid grabs it. Are you ####### kidding me? Horrible. I like trippy and clever #### in movies, but this was just ridiculous. Not to mention the constant look into the camera saying things like "What do you think? Think they'll live?" Why do I care?

13) After killing both the son and the husband, they take Naomi Watts out on the boat. She's all tied up, but can still move her body. We see a shot earlier in the movie (right when the dog gets whacked) of a knife that Tim Roth had sliding into the bottom of the boat, so we know it's there. So, of course, everyone figures she'll get the knife and kill them for the big happy Hollywood ending (which I detest, but I'm just saying that's what we're conditioned to expect. And I know that that's one of the filmmaker's intentions, but it still doesn't make this suckfest good.) Anywho, she grabs the knife and starts trying to cut her ropes. Very obviously. While they're looking at her. So, they grab the knife and throw it in the water. Then, they pick her up and sit her in between them. The leader has just said that the other can't swim. Once again I realize we're supposed to expect her to knock him in, but come on! How hard is that, really? Just a quick bump with your weight to your left, and the kid goes overboard. Nope. They continue they're conversation, and then knock her in the water, obviously killing her. We don't know that, as we never see her again, but that's supposed to be daring filmmaking, I guess.

Anyways, like I said, I can't remember a time that a movie has angered me so much that I just wasted the time that I spent to view it. Do yourself a favor. DON'T watch this movie. :wall:

Last edited by a moderator:

After searching through years of posts, finding the general time frame that I made the post, and then reconstructing it due to links not working anymore, I present to you the reasons why I hated that film:
Where to begin? I don't think a film has made me this angry since Jurassic Park III (nothing else was on).

1) You know how when you watch a horror or suspense movie, and the victim's do something really stupid, and it drives you crazy? Well, multiply that by a million, and you have my reaction watching this movie.

2) Okay. First off, let me say that I don't pretend to be the average FBG that can bench press 500 lbs. I'm not a big guy. I have lean muscle. Kinda like Brad Pitt in Fight Club, but nowhere near that cut. Anyway, if I was ever home invaded by two guys, and one looked like Mr. T and the other looked like Lou Ferrigno, I'd be helpless. There'd be nothing I could do. But if two 15-17 year olds came and home invaded me, bringing no weapon at all, that home invasion would last about 2 minutes.

3) If two 15-17 year olds show up and start acting strangely, one of my first questions would be "Why are you both wearing gloves?" Granted, the next victim couple asks one halfway through the movie, and the kid said he had ecsema, but still, nobody questioned that at the beginning in the Naomi Watts - Tim Roth household? Seriously?

4) In several threads I have discussed my love for my dog. Now, if my dog has been barking continuously at these kids, and one of those kids goes outside with a golf club, and suddenly my dog yelps in pain, I'm hauling ### to find out why. I'm not waiting 20 minutes once things get weird, and suddenly saying "Hey, where's the dog?" I would have taken care of that little problem real quick. </div>

<script type="text/javascript">mytagid = Math.floor( Math.random() * 100 );document.write("<div style='padding:4px;border:1px solid black;background-color:#FFC9A5;layer-background-color:#FFC9A5;'><div id='"+mytagid+"_closed' style='display:none'>5) Here's part one of the problem I have with Tim Roth's reaction in the movie. Now, after my wife has gotten upset, and ordered these kids to leave (which they aren't doing), the leader kid leans in to Tim Roth and says "You better watch to make sure we don't break YOUR eggs, old man." Tim Roth responds by slapping the kid. My reaction would have been "Okay. Take a swing. Give me a reason." And then after the youth threw his little punch, it would have been over from there.

6) Part II: Okay. Granted. He took a driver to the knee. We don't see the wound, but it's bleeding through his pants. So, I'm figuring a shattered kneecap, or something. Yes. That's serious. That limits the mobility a little bit. But after that, he just gives up for the rest of the movie. No effort whatsoever. It would have taken 5 or 10 minutes for the shock and pain to ease a little bit, and then I'm attempting some sort of bum rush move to protect my family. I mean, Damn!!!! Just turn into a pile of jelly for the rest of the movie?

7) So, they have an electric gate out front. Looks 6 to 7 feet tall. The little kid gets away. Oh, he's not in any hurry or anything. But he goes to climb the gate. Gets to the top and...........................climbs back down. What? Was there an unseen pool of piranha down there that we don't see? How hard is it to swing your leg over? Oh my God I'm really starting to hate this movie at this point.

8) The kid leisurely goes over to the next house, which everyone should have figured out that they had already killed these people, since that's where they came from. But he just strolls around, trying to hide. Not really very hard, either.

9) They kill the kid, and supposedly leave. Naomi Watts gets free, and they're trying to figure out how to get help. They spend a good 10 minutes trying to fix her phone the one kid dropped in the water. She says "Where's your phone?" "It's in the car." Is there a wall of flame surrounding the car at this point? How difficult is it to go out to the car? I mean, your leg is busted, and the magic key to the front door has mysteriously vanished, but your wife went out the window. She can't check it out?</div>

<script type="text/javascript">mytagid = Math.floor( Math.random() * 100 );document.write("<div style='padding:4px;border:1px solid black;background-color:#FFC9A5;layer-background-color:#FFC9A5;'><div id='"+mytagid+"_closed' style='display:none'>10) Now, on 99% of the doors that we have in our homes, there's a lock that you turn on the inside of the door, right? Maybe somewhere somebody has a door that you have to lock with a key. But, doesn't that mean that Tim Roth should have those keys? How, in the course of a couple of hours, did the kids get those keys, (in a scene we obviously don't see) and lock them inside, unable to open the door. And the same with the electric gate? Can't open it. Oh, these kids are geniuses.

11) So, Naomi Watts goes out onto a lit street. It's obvious that there are other houses there. But, she only goes to one. And then, they pick her up and bring her back.

12) In probably the worst scene that I have ever seen in a film, Naomi Watts grabs the gun and shoots one of the kids. The other kid says "Where's that remote?" and tears all the cushions off the couch. He presses back, like on a Tivo remote, and the whole movie goes back in reverse to the start of that scene. This time when Naomi Watts goes for the gun, the kid grabs it. Are you ####### kidding me? Horrible. I like trippy and clever #### in movies, but this was just ridiculous. Not to mention the constant look into the camera saying things like "What do you think? Think they'll live?" Why do I care?

13) After killing both the son and the husband, they take Naomi Watts out on the boat. She's all tied up, but can still move her body. We see a shot earlier in the movie (right when the dog gets whacked) of a knife that Tim Roth had sliding into the bottom of the boat, so we know it's there. So, of course, everyone figures she'll get the knife and kill them for the big happy Hollywood ending (which I detest, but I'm just saying that's what we're conditioned to expect. And I know that that's one of the filmmaker's intentions, but it still doesn't make this suckfest good.) Anywho, she grabs the knife and starts trying to cut her ropes. Very obviously. While they're looking at her. So, they grab the knife and throw it in the water. Then, they pick her up and sit her in between them. The leader has just said that the other can't swim. Once again I realize we're supposed to expect her to knock him in, but come on! How hard is that, really? Just a quick bump with your weight to your left, and the kid goes overboard. Nope. They continue they're conversation, and then knock her in the water, obviously killing her. We don't know that, as we never see her again, but that's supposed to be daring filmmaking, I guess.

Anyways, like I said, I can't remember a time that a movie has angered me so much that I just wasted the time that I spent to view it. Do yourself a favor. DON'T watch this movie. :wall:
Dude, you might want to make that whole quote a spoiler. For those that haven't seen the movie, you have just ruined it.

:sadbanana: Well, alrighty then.

Moving the thread along, per a previous recommended list from Kenny Powers, watched High Life last night, solid flick and entertaining. Chipping away at that list slowly but surely posted by Kenny earlier, checking out Hobo With a Shotgun. If it's a Rutger Hauer movie, I'm most likely in.

I'll throw out there Surviving the Game, which is on Netflix streaming, excellent B movie thriller with a surprisingly good cast and entertaining premise.

Delving into Party Down for the second time. Didn't love it the first time around (got through a few episodes), but I'm finding it pretty darn hilarious this time around.

Users who are viewing this thread