Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
KCC

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread)

14 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

Anybody try "October Faction" or "Rise of Empires:  Ottoman" ??

Haven’t watched the Rise of Empires yet but they look awesome.  Love that time frame in history.  

On 1/25/2020 at 1:41 PM, shadyridr said:

Im watching Altered Carbon

Still can't figure out if I hate it or like it. The female cop is a smokeshow though. 

I dug it.  Season 2 is coming soon I think.  

7 hours ago, cockroach said:

This is Clem Fandango.... can you hear me?

I'm seriously trying to figure out something I can name "I can hear you Clem Fandango".  May need another FF league next year just for that.

4 hours ago, dkp993 said:

I dug it.  Season 2 is coming soon I think.  

Yeah it's growing on me

7 hours ago, TripItUp said:

Anybody try "October Faction" or "Rise of Empires:  Ottoman" ??

Watched both.

October is entertainment with monsters, and a monster killers organization. Lead monster killer guy seems unlikely, but it's fiction so... I enjoyed it.

Ottoman is a history lesson with dramatization. Both the drama and expert commentary presented well imo. I liked it. Want to visit Istanbul now.

Edited by brun

Finished The Witcher last night. 

The video games were far better at story telling than this series. Wife and I discussed the series and both concluded we didn't know what any of it was about other than...

Cripple Yennifer was crippled.

Became a mage and slut - Her BF was like no thanks hoe.

Witcher killed things and wants to save his daughter, maybe?

There are some other mages from Nelfgarden or whatever it was called. 

Yennifer blowed em up real good and disappeared.

Geralt found his little girl. 

A queen died. 

:shrug: 

Edited by fissure man

36 minutes ago, fissure man said:

Finished The Witcher last night. 

The video games were far better at story telling than this series. Wife and I discussed the series and both concluded we didn't know what any of it was about other than...

:shrug: 

Spoilers bro.  

But have to agree this show is horrible. 

There is no reason at all for the timeline jumping.  I have to think that all those choices were made in the editing room because they do not embrace the time gaps in makeup, costume or cinematography.

The whole thing is just a mess.  Makes Altered Carbon look like Shakespeare.  

Edited by Nick Vermeil
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nick Vermeil said:

Spoilers bro.  

Crap! Thanks, fixed mine, please fix yours. 

Yeah, the show was a mess. The characters were all good. I’m not sure they could have found a better Geralt and Yennifer was smoking but it’s just a complete mess. 

Edited by fissure man

Dracula... wow... can't believe a show that started that strong ended that bad, and over the course of only three episodes. 

4 hours ago, brun said:

Watched both.

October is entertainment with monsters, and a monster killers organization. Lead monster killer guy seems unlikely, but it's fiction so... I enjoyed it.

Ottoman is a history lesson with dramatization. Both the drama and expert commentary presented well imo. I liked it. Want to visit Istanbul now.

I loved Istanbul so that's one reason it caught my eye.  Top 5 city in the world(when peaceful)

• Like 2

Finished S2 of "Shrill" and liked it. Bryant does some good work as an actor here in the series. It's all low-stakes comedy and drama but it has something to say worth listening too. As a series, it's not perfect but, at less than 30 minutes an episode, it's not asking much of viewers. Also, if seeing Bryant in "adult" situations makes you act weird then best stay away.

Anybody watch "I Lost My Body"? Had it show up in my recommended titles and saw it was nominated for best animated feature.  Thinking about making that next one up for me.

I dont know if Prime just added it or always had it & i didnt notice, but i am digging the HELL out of 30Rock reruns lately. Actually giggling to the point that the peeps ask me what i been laughing at when i come in to chore em up

• Like 2

6 hours ago, brun said:

Just came in here to ask about this. Thanks :thumbup:

• Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 10:51 PM, Yo Mama said:

My wife and I just watched the whole season of Messiah this week. We really enjoyed it. 

just heard about this from a co-worker sounds intriguing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JoeSteeler said:

we knocked out Messiah last week and really enjoyed it.  Recommended.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JoeSteeler said:

33 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

we knocked out Messiah last week and really enjoyed it.  Recommended.

Recommend it whole-heartedly.  Fun show.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2020 at 7:36 PM, shuke said:

5 episodes into Fleabag.  Pretty good. 

Personally, I thought season 1 of Fleabag was pretty good. Entertaining, good TV. 

Season 2 was transcendent. It amazed me. Just crazy. The comedy was hilarious, the sexual tension ran high, and then the outright deep human drama it's all revolving around... it was just pure pathos. Loved it.

• Like 3

i watched me a couple o those october faction things and they are so so what can you say it passed the time i guess take that to the bank brohans 

• Like 1

Finally pushed myself to watch Chernobyl (HBO) . I realize I'm late to the party on this one but for anyone who has not seen it yet, you should do yourself a favour. Simply fantastic.  The final episode in the courtroom was very well done and dumbed down enough for a guy like me to understand the details of what happened a little too.  Amazing heroism on display throughout the tragedy.  The show was very deserving of all the awards it won last year.  :clap: 

Also listening to the podcast on Spotify as it provides some additional context not included in the show. 

Gave up on The Witcher to watch this show instead.   :thumbup:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SWC said:

i watched me a couple o those october faction things and they are so so what can you say it passed the time i guess take that to the bank brohans 

We started it too. You nailed it...so-so. And yeah- it didn't stop time, so time kept passing while we watched. 

Watched the first episode of "The Circle" last night. :bag:  Wasn't great. Wasn't horrible. Will probably continue.

Also watched the first episode of "The Goop Lab". Im interested in the subject of psychedelic therapy, so I enjoyed it. The people are pretty annoying though, so I doubt Ill keep watching. Especially episodes on subjects that dont interest me as much. 

"Shot in the Dark" was pretty good. Reality show about "stringers" (people who film accidents/bad stuff and sell it to the news stations). The content was interesting but the characters make the show. Some crazy, despicable stuff. What a way to make a living.

Also really like "Explained" - a series of mini-documentaries on interesting subjects. Originally a YouTube thing.

Loved "Its the End of the ####ing World". Just a great show.

Watching "Ozark" now. Its kinda meh. Interesting story, but nowhere near the intensity of a show like Breaking Bad. 

Finished season 3 of Glow last night. I really liked it. I think it was the best season of the show so far. They've almost completely given up on the comedic elements of the show, but it still works. Many of the punches were telegraphed, but they still landed. Probably the thing that put it ahead of other seasons for me is it felt like this one converted most of the characters from caricatures (much like the wrestling alter egos they took on in the ring) to more fully formed people. 

2 hours ago, E-Z Glider said:

Loved "Its the End of the ####ing World". Just a great show

cosign x infinity ... remarkable lil' mind#### - loved the pace and ambiance of the whole production - and the economic largesse of the half hr episodes, which zip by like comets, though it feels like you sat for 3 hours - fantastic series.

oh, and ... Jessica Barden nailed it!  :wub:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, otb_lifer said:

cosign x infinity ... remarkable lil' mind#### - loved the pace and ambiance of the whole production - and the economic largesse of the half hr episodes, which zip by like comets, though it feels like you sat for 3 hours - fantastic series.

Whuuuuh? (in my best Alyssa impersonation - I do this pretty much every time I see her)

• Love 1

17 minutes ago, otb_lifer said:
2 hours ago, E-Z Glider said:

Loved "Its the End of the ####ing World". Just a great show

Loved it.

First season was incredible...not to diminish the second which was very good- just loved the arc of the first.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Loved it.

First season was incredible...not to diminish the second which was very good- just loved the arc of the first.

Yea I was going to skip season 2 because I thought 1 told a perfect arc and 2 wasn’t necessary. But I guess I should go for it? 

1 minute ago, El Floppo said:

Loved it.

i haven't delved into season 2 yet ... i have a feeling it's gonna be a letdown, seeing as how s1 was so dynamic (kinda like how "Stranger Things" cliffed in s2 as compared to s1).

judging from your perspective, i can see that there's a modicum (if not a smidge) of verification to my misgivings ... no?

9 minutes ago, otb_lifer said:

i haven't delved into season 2 yet ... i have a feeling it's gonna be a letdown, seeing as how s1 was so dynamic (kinda like how "Stranger Things" cliffed in s2 as compared to s1).

judging from your perspective, i can see that there's a modicum (if not a smidge) of verification to my misgivings ... no?

Most def. It's worthwhile to keep going with the characters, but it doesn't match the first. Stranger things is a perfect analogy...

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Most def. It's worthwhile to keep going with the characters, but it doesn't match the first. Stranger things is a perfect analogy...

:thumbup:

yeah, just had no idea where they were gonna take the arc of ST ... that s1 e1 hooked me as hard as GoT initial episode did - and it really ramped up when 11 hit the scene ... gotDAMN was it riveting!

but, eh ... it's been ok, i guess - but nothing they summarily did touches s1 - everyone was so on point and brilliant ... the writing, the art direction, the cast, cinematography, soundtrack (Joy Division!) - it clicked.  man, did it really click.  

just about to wrap up s3 .... let's just say the urgency is not quite there ...

whereas i binged all of s1 on a rainy Saturday with my girls outta town ... MF'ng blast. 

btw, not for nuttin' ... but i think that MillieBB is gonna be the most bankable film commodity of this upcoming decade ... that girl is so damn talented and expressive. she gripped me the second she appeared - ST has been her superstar vehicle, no question.

anyways ... going back to "END" ... where can they take those two that's gonna top where they've been?

gonna find out starting tonight, i reckon.

• Like 1

Went fishing for suggestions on Facebook and came up with the following, in no particular order:

Bosch

The Expanse (multiple recommendations)

Altered Carbon (multiple recommendations)

Jack Ryan

Ozark (multiple recommendations)

Longmire

Russian Doll

Umbrella Academy (multiple recommendations)

Banshee

Peaky Blinders (multiple recommendations)

Good Omens (multiple recommendations)

Messiah (multiple recommendations)

The Outsider

68 Whiskey

Yellowstone

Billions

Ray Donovan

The Magicians

Patriot

I think I'm going to give Altered Carbon a go first.

11 minutes ago, nirad3 said:

Big list with great stuff...that one, not so much.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

12 minutes ago, nirad3 said:

Went fishing for suggestions on Facebook and came up with the following, in no particular order:

The Expanse (multiple recommendations)

Ozark (multiple recommendations)

Russian Doll

Peaky Blinders (multiple recommendations)

Good Omens (multiple recommendations)

Messiah (multiple recommendations)

The Magicians

Patriot

These are the ones I'd recommend. Haven't seen a few of the ones I deleted.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, nirad3 said:

I remember enjoying that in a kind of dumb action movie way, but if you thought Witcher was a mess, good luck with that one. 

8 minutes ago, thecatch said:

I remember enjoying that in a kind of dumb action movie way, but if you thought Witcher was a mess, good luck with that one. 

Ouch, maybe I'll try The Expanse first.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nirad3 said:

Not sure if this thread has expanded to all streaming services, but I don’t think the Expanse is on Netflix. 

Edited by Cjw_55106

15 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

Not sure if this thread has expanded to all streaming services, but I don’t think the Expanse is on Netflix. 

Yeah I asked a couple pages back if we were talking just Netflix or all streaming outlets and the response was that it had become all-encompassing.  My apologies if that's not actually the case.

• Like 1

I think the thread has expanded to all streaming services...I also think there is confusion with the new movies thread since now many "new movies" are of the streaming variety.

I blame Maurile Tremblay.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Capella said:

Yea I was going to skip season 2 because I thought 1 told a perfect arc and 2 wasn’t necessary. But I guess I should go for it? 

Season 2 is very good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nirad3 said:
1 hour ago, thecatch said:

Good choice.

Fwiw, peaky blinders is probably the easiest to appreciate from the giddy-up. Expanse took me a couple tries before I found the groove with it.

7 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Good choice.

Fwiw, peaky blinders is probably the easiest to appreciate from the giddy-up. Expanse took me a couple tries before I found the groove with it.

Tonight will be my third evening trying to get through the first episode of the Expanse, but I hear good things so I’ll keep plugging away. 

19 minutes ago, thecatch said:

Tonight will be my third evening trying to get through the first episode of the Expanse, but I hear good things so I’ll keep plugging away. 

I'd almost say to just power through the first couple and not worry too much about following exactly what's going on. They throw everything out there immediately and then circle back and around through the season so it all makes sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nirad3 said:

Yeah I asked a couple pages back if we were talking just Netflix or all streaming outlets and the response was that it had become all-encompassing.  My apologies if that's not actually the case.

All encompassing.

We haven't talked about how brilliant Bojack horseman is in a few days...it's brilliant. And should go on your list at the tippy top.

The Departed - I hadn't watched this in years, what a great flick. 

Criminal Minds - We're on Season 5 and just love the show.  Certainly, a recurring theme every week, but quite entertaining. 

Edited by Jobber

58 minutes ago, Jobber said:

The Departed - I hadn't watched this in years, what a great flick. 

Holy ####- people watch movies in this thread?  ;)

51 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

I gave up 5 minutes into the expanse lol

You people are odd.  

• Like 2

I hardly ever bother with Hulu for whatever reason, but added a couple things to try.  

Got through a couple episodes of Killing Eve, and I am really liking this so far.   Interesting premise, and I am oddly drawn to the psycho assassin.