What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Redskins 2011 Off-Season Thread (1 Viewer)

106.7 The Fan reporter Sky Kerstein reports live from Dulles airport that team plane "Redskins One" has landed. Mike Shanahan and a woman emerged from the plane and got into Dan Snyder's Maybach. Shanahan refused comment but was carrying PJ's, a Wii, and several Chuck E. Cheese coupons.
;)
:lmao:And a copy of Madden 2010. "We gotta get to work. First, we find all the players with a 99 rating and wire them money."
:lmao:the mental picture of Snyder and Shanahan sitting down in their PJ's playing Madden and "scouting" is hilarious.

"Just some things that some guys got away with that some other guys - we have 'rules guys' and we have 'guideline guys,'" Cartwright said. "Rules guys have to stick to the rules. Guideline guys, you go by your own guidelines and do what you want to do. When you got a team sport, everybody has to be rules guys and be on the same page."Cartwright said players also noticed that some guys had a direct line with team management and bypassed Zorn when they had concerns. "When you've got guys that feel like they have that power, then of course that's a bad apple in the bunch," Cartwright said. Wynn also acknowledged the problem existed and said he was concerned about how younger players in the locker room were learning from negative influences around them.
Wynn, like Cartwright and Daniels, also said he believed that the head coach needed to have the final word within the locker room - something that didn't happen this season in Washington.
Thanks Vinnie. Thanks Dan.
Being a huge Portis fan, I'm afraid this may be why he has to go. Allen could look at this situation and get rid of Portis just to eliminate that perception from coming up again. Even if they change the culture and get Snyder to buy into the idea that Portis shouldn't be talking to him so often, they might need to get rid of him just change the atmosphere and the locker room.
IIRC, if they release Portis prior to June 1, 2010 they face a cap hit around $14 million so trading seems like the best option. II know there would be takers despite his season ending concussion but it would be interesting to see what 'value' the skins would bet getting for Portis on the trade block.

"Just some things that some guys got away with that some other guys - we have 'rules guys' and we have 'guideline guys,'" Cartwright said. "Rules guys have to stick to the rules. Guideline guys, you go by your own guidelines and do what you want to do. When you got a team sport, everybody has to be rules guys and be on the same page."Cartwright said players also noticed that some guys had a direct line with team management and bypassed Zorn when they had concerns. "When you've got guys that feel like they have that power, then of course that's a bad apple in the bunch," Cartwright said. Wynn also acknowledged the problem existed and said he was concerned about how younger players in the locker room were learning from negative influences around them.
Wynn, like Cartwright and Daniels, also said he believed that the head coach needed to have the final word within the locker room - something that didn't happen this season in Washington.
Thanks Vinnie. Thanks Dan.
Being a huge Portis fan, I'm afraid this may be why he has to go. Allen could look at this situation and get rid of Portis just to eliminate that perception from coming up again. Even if they change the culture and get Snyder to buy into the idea that Portis shouldn't be talking to him so often, they might need to get rid of him just change the atmosphere and the locker room.
IIRC, if they release Portis prior to June 1, 2010 they face a cap hit around $14 million so trading seems like the best option. II know there would be takers despite his season ending concussion but it would be interesting to see what 'value' the skins would bet getting for Portis on the trade block.
I believe the "uncapped" year means you can cut guys without it counting against your cap...since there is no cap. Most have assumed if it's an uncapped year that Portis is gone because he's "done". My personal fandom for him leaves me incapable of seeing him as "done" but I can admit he might need to go for the sake of the locker room.

Portis, like many Redskin players, is untradeable because his contract is too large. Trading Portis would be great for the Redskins because they would no longer be on the hook for the $6-7 M guaranteed in his contract next year.

Regardless of titles, though, Shanahan is expected to have significant input in player-personnel decisions. Allen is an adept football administrator and a salary-cap expert, league sources said, but he is not considered as strong in evaluating talent.
If Allen is not strong at evaluating talent, that doesn't mean Shanahan is strong at evaluating talent.They need a personnel guy.

Regardless of titles, though, Shanahan is expected to have significant input in player-personnel decisions. Allen is an adept football administrator and a salary-cap expert, league sources said, but he is not considered as strong in evaluating talent.
If Allen is not strong at evaluating talent, that doesn't mean Shanahan is strong at evaluating talent.They need a personnel guy.
I thought that Morocco Brown was supposed to be pretty good in this regard. :thumbup:

Agreed, but Shanahan had a lot better drafts than anything the Redskins have done the last several years.

Rotoworld:

The Houston Chronicle reports that the Texans have already lined up four candidates to replace departing offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, one being Titans OL coach Mike Munchak. Others are Broncos OL coach Rick Dennison, Falcons QBs coach Bill Musgrave, and ex-Chiefs OC Chan Gailey.
Looks like Son Shanahan will be our OC.

Rotoworld:

The Houston Chronicle reports that the Texans have already lined up four candidates to replace departing offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, one being Titans OL coach Mike Munchak. Others are Broncos OL coach Rick Dennison, Falcons QBs coach Bill Musgrave, and ex-Chiefs OC Chan Gailey.
Will he start nailing the entire female front office staff like Schotty the Younger did?

Bugel retired. His retirement might delay a Shanny PC.

The team is moving forward with plans to have a news conference for Shanahan sometime this week at Redskins Park, possibly as early as Tuesday, but it could be shifted to as late as Wednesday or Thursday depending on the progress of talks between Shanahan and owner Daniel Snyder and whether the team also does something special this week for Bugel, league source said.

Rotoworld:

Anyone hear anything about Kyle's ability? Obviously Houston has an insane passing attack, but they also have some pretty good players. It's hard for an outsider to know how much credit Kyle deserves.

Rotoworld:

Anyone hear anything about Kyle's ability? Obviously Houston has an insane passing attack, but they also have some pretty good players. It's hard for an outsider to know how much credit Kyle deserves.
great question dgreen - i am interested in this too.

Is there an ongoing Texans thread in the Shark Pool? They'd probably know.

Rotoworld:

Texans offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan confirmed Monday that he will join his father, Mike, if he lands in Washington.The fact that Kyle would come out and say this publicly strongly indicates that Mike Shanahan-to-Washington is a done deal. It's unclear which family member would call plays, something Kyle excelled at with the Texans

Washington gains new leadership. Frankly, the Redskins need one to stop the largest exodus of fans in a generation. Richmond and Norfolk TV stations showed the Dallas-Philadelphia game for the NFC East title rather than the traditional Redskins game. Both towns' papers no longer regularly cover the team. A once die-hard region has slipped away. The fan base has completely disconnected from the glory days of four Super Bowls in nine seasons. Two decades later, the franchise's good will is past spent -- it's bankrupt.

Zorn is likely heading to Cleveland as the Browns quarterback coach. It's a good fit for him.
Rick Snider

Chris Cooley was asked about his future. It's not as funny a question as it sounds considering the way Fred Davis played in his absence. But it's only pertinent if Mike Shanahan (or whomever replaces Zorn) does not want two pass-catching tight ends. Bruce Allen told Sonny Jurgensen that he preferred having one tight end who could catch and one who could block.

"I would hope that what I've done on the field here is enough of an assurance for me," Cooley said. "I don't have much of a concern. I'm sure I'll be here next year."
John Keim Very good article, worth reading.
6. I remember hearing from a key source in September that Zorn already had lost the players. At the time many said, no, he had not lost him. But in hearing them today, they've been frustrated for a while with his reign. Wasn't personal, but just the way some players took advantage and the lack of clout by Zorn to prevent those things from happening.

7. Albert Haynesworth does not have a lot of friends in the locker room.

8. Clinton Portis does not have a lot of friends in the locker room.

Last edited by a moderator:
According the NFL Pick Value Chart, the Redskins should be able to pick up a 2nd and 3rd from Seattle to move down to 14. I'd guess if Seattle (or any other team) is trading up for a QB, the value would go up.
Seattle just took Curry at 4. I doubt they want to spend more money on another 4 and a 6. I bet they are looking to trade down as well.

Is Shanahan worth it for just this?
4. Shanahan is considered a control freak; I'm guessing he would call it paying attention to every detail of the organization. But I talked to someone today who is tight with several people in the Denver organization who absolutely loved him. He created a positive atmosphere in the building, the source said. That's been hard to do under Dan Snyder. Very hard.

4. Shanahan is considered a control freak; I'm guessing he would call it paying attention to every detail of the organization. But I talked to someone today who is tight with several people in the Denver organization who absolutely loved him. He created a positive atmosphere in the building, the source said. That's been hard to do under Dan Snyder. Very hard.
I recall reading some stories from earlier this season about Shanahan visiting other team's practice and/or training camp facilities just to see how things were run. I know the Patriots were one of those teams. Not a huge deal, but it is a good feeling knowing that he's going out how other organizations get it right.

If that was his only asset then no, not worth it. But it's not, and I agree with your point. 10 years of being a disorganized kneejerk mess of a system has taken a toll. Organization starts in the front office and works its way down, makes things easier and more efficient, and he'd go a long way towards accomplishing that. Dan: Mike, Clinton called me earlier today to talk about something that's bothering him.

Mike: Tell him I'll see him at practice. (leaves room)

Discussing Shanahan's strengths, Lynch touched on two main areas: Shanahan's people skills and his understanding of the offense.

"I think he understands guys," Lynch said. "First of all, he's got the credentials, he can win, he's done it before. Mike takes care of his players. He believes in them. He expects and demands a lot from them, but he really cares about them and he knows how to keep them fresh and healthy."

If we're going to discuss strengths, it's only fair we touch on weaknesses, too, and Lynch noted that Shanahan's defenses didn't always resemble the Orange Crush defenses that defined the team three decades ago.

"He's a brilliant play-caller, offensively. He's really great offensively," Lynch said. "I think the challenge - I wouldn't ever call it a weakness - but one thing he struggled with late in Denver was that defensive coordinator job. He tried Jim Bates, he tried Bob

Slowik -- it didn't seem to really click. You've got to go out and find the right guy because [Washington's] is a good defense to work with. You want to maximize and that means going out and getting a top-flight defensive coordinator."
John Lynch

Wonderful article on Joe Bugel, who's expected to retire today.

"Violent, smart, physical are really what his three turn-ons are," Colt Brennan said.

"He gets thoroughly excited by hitting," Chris Cooley added.

"That man's always had a screw loose, always," Mike Sellers said. "You have to be. You've got to deal with 1,500 hundred pounds of linemen, you have to tell them what to do, and he only weighs not even a quarter of what they weigh. It takes a strong man, and he's that man. That man is a tough SOB."

Physically tough, too. Bugel is forever doing push-ups around Redskins Park; "I can say he probably does a thousand a day," Chris Samuels said. ("The only reason he can get a thousand, he only goes like a half-an-inch down and then back up," Samuels added.)

So does this mean he could handle, say, a 60-year old man in a scrap?

"He'd kill 'em," Samuels said, speaking metaphorically. "He'd probably kill a 50-year old guy. He's tough. He's got old-man strength. He's so intense, he's tough and he never lets up."

What is Shannahan's history/relationship with Clinton Portis and how is he likely to handle that situation. It seems most fans feel that Clinton Portis 2009 has lost a step, doesn't practice, is not a good teammate, and runs to Snyder to get what he wants instead of working for it on the field (obviously this is a more recent phenomenon).

What is Clinton Portis' power with Snyder and how will Shannahan deal with this?

#4 is looking like a great place to be to trade down. Assuming both Clausen and Bradford receive high grades and one is available at 4, there should be plenty of teams wanting to move up. Here are picks 5-14:5. Kansas City 6. Seattle7. Cleveland8. Oakland9. Buffalo10. Denver (from Chicago)11. Jacksonville12. Miami13. San Francisco14. Seattle (from Denver)Kansas City is probably the one team that would not look to draft QB. All those other teams probably have some interest in Clausen or Bradford. With Seattle picking 6 and 14, that might be a good partner for Washington. There appear to be several first-round-caliber OT this year. Move down to 14, get your OT there, and pick up some extra picks.
Deja vu. Some other guy wrote an identical post over in the season thread. And it's still a great idea!

According the NFL Pick Value Chart, the Redskins should be able to pick up a 2nd and 3rd from Seattle to move down to 14. I'd guess if Seattle (or any other team) is trading up for a QB, the value would go up.
Seattle just took Curry at 4. I doubt they want to spend more money on another 4 and a 6. I bet they are looking to trade down as well.
Are they hurting for money?If Seattle wants a QB, they might need to get to 4. If they don't want 4 and 6, then they can trade 6 and have 4 and 14.

I wonder if Danny's PJs have little Redskins helmets on them like Matthew Lesko's ? Suits. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Lesko
More like this:http://www.comicsinaflash.com/Richie%20Rich%2065a.jpg

M

Are they hurting for money?If Seattle wants a QB, they might need to get to 4. If they don't want 4 and 6, then they can trade 6 and have 4 and 14.
If the cap issues don't exist, nobody in the NFL has more money to spend than Paul Allen, cofounder of Microsoft.---------------BTW, if anyone is interested in the results of this thread's 2009 FF league, check the sig... :wall:

Keim

One source close to Bill Cowher said the ex-Pittsburgh coach spoke with Allen in the morning, but came away convinced the job was Shanahan's.
:) I would much rather bring in Cowher than Shanahan.

Allen: ""It's real clear that we're going to be aggressive." Translation: "We're going after one guy and one guy only, and we're going after him hard." :rolleyes:

Bringing in Mike Shanahan to fire up our offense is exciting, but unless we have a guy on the sideline leading our defense who is capable of carrying on the stingy and tough-nosed tradition we have established on that side of the ball, it is all for naught.

Mike Zimmer is a guy I am comfortable with as the next defensive coordinator of the Washington Redskins
Worth reading to learn more about Zimmer. Apparently his wife died earlier this year.
In his first season with the Bengals in 2008, they finished 12th in overall yards allowed. If you recall, they lost a ridiculous amount of front-line players over the course of a lost season. But they finished strong, allowing just 19 total points in three straight wins to close out the season (one of which was against our Skins.) In 2009, Zimmer improved on that, fielding the league's 4th best defense in overall yards allowed. They were 6th against the pass, and 7th against the run, sporting top ten interception totals and middle-of-the-pack sack totals.

The organization part of the negotiations is over. Now they're talking money. According to PFT:

After a day of meetings between Redskins owner Daniel Snyder and free-agent coach Mike Shanahan, significant progress is being made toward Shanahan becoming the 27th coach in franchise history.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, Shanahan has summoned agent Sandy Montag to D.C. to meet with G.M. Bruce Allen to hammer out a deal.

We'd previously heard that the document already has been prepared, with Shanahan set to make more than $10 million per year on a five-year deal. But, hey, for that kind of money it makes sense for the agent to at least make a cameo appearance, especially if he's billing by the hour.
Also: link
The Washington Redskins are said to be in the final stages of contract talks with former Denver Broncos coach Mike Shanahan and a deal could be in place as early as Tuesday.

6 Questions Redskin Fans Have For Shanahan

I've snipped some of the answers; they're in the article.

Is Shanahan motivated? – On that note I feel pretty good because Shanahan was fired. The last time Shanahan was fired in Oakland he proceeded to run up scores on people with his Broncos and dominate the league for next three years.

Who is his Defensive Coordinator? – Lost in all of the Elway talk the defensive collapses were the likely cause of his downfall in Denver. I would be genuinely worried if Shanahan brought in anyone from the Denver days.

What is his QB plan? – It appears Kyle Shanahan will be the Redskins Offensive Coordinator so it will essentially be up to him to determine if he can work/win with Jason Campbell. If they determine that they cannot I expect the Skins to use the 1st round pick on a lineman and then select a QB in the second round.

What is his offensive Line Plan? – This is the “duh” question on everyone’s mind as the Redskins offensive line is beyond tragic. Given all of the exotic blitz schemes used by the Cowboys, Eagles and Giants perhaps a smaller more adaptable line might be the way to go.

Can Shanahan adapt his scheme? – Shanahan is a west coast guy but if the team is better suited for something else can he change to win?

What will he do differently than he did in Denver? – Regardless of all the good things we hear about Shanahan this week he got fired in Denver. He failed miserably as both coach and GM so will he be in charge of personnel again here?

6 Questions Redskin Fans Have For Shanahan

I've snipped some of the answers; they're in the article.

Is Shanahan motivated? – On that note I feel pretty good because Shanahan was fired. The last time Shanahan was fired in Oakland he proceeded to run up scores on people with his Broncos and dominate the league for next three years.

Who is his Defensive Coordinator? – Lost in all of the Elway talk the defensive collapses were the likely cause of his downfall in Denver. I would be genuinely worried if Shanahan brought in anyone from the Denver days.

What is his QB plan? – It appears Kyle Shanahan will be the Redskins Offensive Coordinator so it will essentially be up to him to determine if he can work/win with Jason Campbell. If they determine that they cannot I expect the Skins to use the 1st round pick on a lineman and then select a QB in the second round.

What is his offensive Line Plan? – This is the “duh” question on everyone’s mind as the Redskins offensive line is beyond tragic. Given all of the exotic blitz schemes used by the Cowboys, Eagles and Giants perhaps a smaller more adaptable line might be the way to go.

Can Shanahan adapt his scheme? – Shanahan is a west coast guy but if the team is better suited for something else can he change to win?

What will he do differently than he did in Denver? – Regardless of all the good things we hear about Shanahan this week he got fired in Denver. He failed miserably as both coach and GM so will he be in charge of personnel again here?
Depending upon how comprehensive the offensive makeover is, I'd greatly prefer retention of the WCO with Shanny. It's probably nothing to worry about as offensive guys rarely abandon their "school", but still.

Wow. Sounds like Portis, on the John Thompson show, basically said he should have been a team captain instead of Campbell. I only heard a part of it, but it sounded like he was saying he could have helped with the lack of leadership in the locker room better than Campbell can/did.

Don't the players vote on team captains?

Wow. Sounds like Portis, on the John Thompson show, basically said he should have been a team captain instead of Campbell. I only heard a part of it, but it sounded like he was saying he could have helped with the lack of leadership in the locker room better than Campbell can/did.Don't the players vote on team captains?
I really want to keep like Portis. Please, Portis, shut up.

What is Shannahan's history/relationship with Clinton Portis and how is he likely to handle that situation. It seems most fans feel that Clinton Portis 2009 has lost a step, doesn't practice, is not a good teammate, and runs to Snyder to get what he wants instead of working for it on the field (obviously this is a more recent phenomenon).What is Clinton Portis' power with Snyder and how will Shannahan deal with this?
I'd say Clinton's gone for sure. Shanny traded him away in Denver because of his prima dona ways, and nothing has changed. Fortunately, that's just what the team needs anyway, so I'm all for it frankly.

Wow. Sounds like Portis, on the John Thompson show, basically said he should have been a team captain instead of Campbell. I only heard a part of it, but it sounded like he was saying he could have helped with the lack of leadership in the locker room better than Campbell can/did.Don't the players vote on team captains?
I really want to keep like Portis. Please, Portis, shut up.
He totally threw Campbell under the bus. Then when Doc Walker asked him if he's going to be "that guy" (the guy to get in people's faces and tell people to man up, lead by example, etc., etc.) for 2010 Portis said he used to want to do that but now he doesn't want to be that guy anymore. He just wants to go to work, do his job, then go home.I hope he doesn't really wonder why he's not a captain and Campbell is.Lots of tweeting by 'Skins beat guys about Portis' interview. One of the funnier was someone first tweeted "cp needs to stay away from the radio like Arenas needs to stay away from twitter", to which Dan Steinberg retweeted "At least Gilbert shoots teammates in the face instead of stabbing them in the back.":goodposting:

This is sort of like waiting for the College of Cardinals in Rome to elect a new pope. What's taking so long???????????????????? :goodposting:

I heard the beginning of the interview. Portis also said he never broke rules, showed up late, etc. And anyone can go up to Daniel Snyder and talk, joke around, etc. Snyder is open to all of the players.It is impossible to tell, but I thought Portis was a little delusional.

What is Shannahan's history/relationship with Clinton Portis and how is he likely to handle that situation. It seems most fans feel that Clinton Portis 2009 has lost a step, doesn't practice, is not a good teammate, and runs to Snyder to get what he wants instead of working for it on the field (obviously this is a more recent phenomenon).What is Clinton Portis' power with Snyder and how will Shannahan deal with this?
I'd say Clinton's gone for sure. Shanny traded him away in Denver because of his prima dona ways, and nothing has changed. Fortunately, that's just what the team needs anyway, so I'm all for it frankly.
One thought: if Portis really does have an inappropriate relationship with Snyder, Allen and Shanahan will surely get rid of him. Tom Boswell wrote in the Post this morning that the undoing of Jim Zorn was, after a 6-2 start last year, had a confrontration with Portis, and lost.

Users who are viewing this thread