What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Redskins 2011 Off-Season Thread (1 Viewer)

Hopefully Baltimore loses to New England this weekend so we can go ahead and get that personnel guy from them.

Rick Maese tweets: "Plane with Snyder's tail number has left Denver and is headed back east... Colorado visit lasted just a couple of hours."

Good thing there's no timetable for hiring the new coach.
Well, you know, there's headwinds and stuff sometimes...hard to gauge the flying time back...
Especially when you have a strong headwind consisting of hot air that you're fighting...

From Darth Snyder;

"This has been an extremely difficult season for our organization and for the fans. Bruce Allen spent many hours examining the football operations, and we are both determined to do whatever it takes to build a championship team. That process begins today.

"No one in the organization is satisfied with our record over the last two years, and I am sure that Jim would concur with that statement. It has been painful for him too. I certainly accept responsibility for mistakes that I have made. I am hopeful that our fans will accept my commitment and pledge to deliver a franchise that can compete in the NFC East every season.

"Finally, I am mindful that this is a tough day for Jim and his family, and I do want to wish him success in his next endeavor."
Italics to show lower, more reasonable expectations.
This is a very empty statement of contrition given that there's absolutely no details given as to what mistakes he's made or what he's doing to correct them. This was said because it was "proper" and expected to do so. It's like your seven-year old mumbling "sorry" with his head down when caught doing something.
Sounds even more empty, at least to me, when Allen, after saying the status quo is unacceptable and that "we have to change the way we do business", says this isn't a rebuilding project. His presser sounded very much to me like he was pushing a party line of "we can and will be successful immediately".
If you have the proper people in place to make certain decisions are perform certain duties, I don't think they are that far away from being a decent team that you can call successful next year. I don't think any franchise is. The trick is to then continue that success. That's requires constant retooling of certain parts of the roster. It requires acquiring another RB the year before your top RB slows down rather than the year after. It requires drafting future OL to take over for your soon-to-be over the hill OL. They missed on those chances the last couple years. So, they have to deal with those issues along with the future at LB and DB and WR and QB and well, most positions.I have no problem with a "the future is now" attitude and approach as long as they simultaneously prepare for the future that is in the future. They need to focus on getting some guys that can help bridge the gap and make this team respectable in the short term while drafting guys that will help this team be successful in the future. Just don't give those bridges 6 years and $40 million. Don't make them the future. Make them the "future is now" guys while also focusing on the future-future guys.

And, while I think having great players is extremely important, I think coaching is more important in the NFL than any other league. A good coaching staff can work with average talent. A good coaching staff could take next year's roster (assuming they make some good moves on the OL) and be "successful".

This may have been posted in the other thread, but here's the home and away opponents for 2010:

Home: Dallas, New York, Philadelphia, Green Bay, Minnesota, Houston, Indianapolis, NFC South

Away: Dallas, New York, Philadelphia, Chicago, Detroit, Jacksonville, Tennessee, NFC West

The NFC South team should be Tampa Bay (worst record in that group) and the NFC West is probably St. Louis or Seattle. We could be looking at another 8-8 or 7-9 type season again. :football:

This may have been posted in the other thread, but here's the home and away opponents for 2010:Home: Dallas, New York, Philadelphia, Green Bay, Minnesota, Houston, Indianapolis, NFC SouthAway: Dallas, New York, Philadelphia, Chicago, Detroit, Jacksonville, Tennessee, NFC WestThe NFC South team should be Tampa Bay (worst record in that group) and the NFC West is probably St. Louis or Seattle. We could be looking at another 8-8 or 7-9 type season again. :moneybag:
Yep, it will be TB and STL.AFC South and NFC North should be tough.

This may have been posted in the other thread, but here's the home and away opponents for 2010:Home: Dallas, New York, Philadelphia, Green Bay, Minnesota, Houston, Indianapolis, NFC SouthAway: Dallas, New York, Philadelphia, Chicago, Detroit, Jacksonville, Tennessee, NFC WestThe NFC South team should be Tampa Bay (worst record in that group) and the NFC West is probably St. Louis or Seattle. We could be looking at another 8-8 or 7-9 type season again. :goodposting:
Very odd schedule as far as the NFC North and AFC South games go. We catch the top two teams in each of those divisions at home, and the worst two teams in each of those divisions on the road. That effect will be enhanced by the fact that the good teams in the NFC North are very very good (at least this year) and the bad teams are very very bad.This could break one of two ways. If the Skins are better than expected and perform around league average or better, that schedule could work to their advantage big-time, making games in which they would be underdogs (like MIN, GB and IND) into possible home upsets and giving them the chance to get a few always-elusive road wins against inferior competition like DET and CHI.However, it's more likely to work against the Skins in my opinion. Assuming the Skins are not among the better teams in the league next year, this schedule kills them twice over- first by giving them home games in which they're still the underdog, even though they are at home, and second by making the potential wins in the schedule more difficult because they're road games. In my opinion, the potential a scrappy underdog run or, on the other hand, for a total and complete disaster, is magnified by this schedule.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Broncos weren't any good in Shanahan's last couple of seasons. There were big personnel mistakes, the team didn't make the playoffs. Bruce Allen didn't put together any kind of winner down in Tampa. The Bucs won with a roster that was in place before he got there. Seems, to be, quite possible Dan Snyder is simply writing another chapter of Celebrity Football, which we have seen doesn't work.
Allen doesn't have any long history of doing anything with draft picks. I'm reminded that he didn't run the draft in Oakland...didn't have anything to do with the draft in Oakland, according to a Raiders official I talked to last week...
Wilbon chatfor the record, hiring Allen and Shanny will do nothing to return this team to glory. Wilbon says it best: Celebrity Football. these two guys are nothing but retreads, and Snyder thinks he can mine gold from the scrap heap. It ain't happenin' fellas. and you can continue to assail me as always negative, but ask yourself this: have I been wrong on this stuff? Humbly, I predicted all of this in last season's thread (minus the in-season dumping of Vinny). Specifically, my prediction was that this year would end as the Spurrier years ended - after year 2.

dgreen said:
Ravens said:
dgreen said:
Hopefully Baltimore loses to New England this weekend so we can go ahead and get that personnel guy from them.
Who?Ozzie N.?
No. Some rumors recently were that Washington would be interested in some guy named DeCosta (or something like that). Ozzie's right-hand man, I think.
Why would Decosta work for Snyder?The guy is a fool!

#4 is looking like a great place to be to trade down. Assuming both Clausen and Bradford receive high grades and one is available at 4, there should be plenty of teams wanting to move up. Here are picks 5-14:

5. Kansas City

6. Seattle

7. Cleveland

8. Oakland

9. Buffalo

10. Denver (from Chicago)

11. Jacksonville

12. Miami

13. San Francisco

14. Seattle (from Denver)

Kansas City is probably the one team that would not look to draft QB. All those other teams probably have some interest in Clausen or Bradford. With Seattle picking 6 and 14, that might be a good partner for Washington. There appear to be several first-round-caliber OT this year. Move down to 14, get your OT there, and pick up some extra picks.

#4 is looking like a great place to be to trade down. Assuming both Clausen and Bradford receive high grades and one is available at 4, there should be plenty of teams wanting to move up. Here are picks 5-14:5. Kansas City 6. Seattle7. Cleveland8. Oakland9. Buffalo10. Denver (from Chicago)11. Jacksonville12. Miami13. San Francisco14. Seattle (from Denver)Kansas City is probably the one team that would not look to draft QB. All those other teams probably have some interest in Clausen or Bradford. With Seattle picking 6 and 14, that might be a good partner for Washington. There appear to be several first-round-caliber OT this year. Move down to 14, get your OT there, and pick up some extra picks.
Personally, I think they should just find the next great player and pick him at #4. If they are truly convinced that there is no great player there, then trade down. Like they did in 2008. Although it is not clear there were great players with the 2nd round picks.

dgreen said:
Ravens said:
dgreen said:
Who?Ozzie N.?
No. Some rumors recently were that Washington would be interested in some guy named DeCosta (or something like that). Ozzie's right-hand man, I think.
Keep whistling past the graveyard, kid. :blackdot: talks.

dgreen said:
And the Bengals lose so we can get the defensive coach from them --- Zimmer.

#4 is looking like a great place to be to trade down. Assuming both Clausen and Bradford receive high grades and one is available at 4, there should be plenty of teams wanting to move up. Here are picks 5-14:5. Kansas City 6. Seattle7. Cleveland8. Oakland9. Buffalo10. Denver (from Chicago)11. Jacksonville12. Miami13. San Francisco14. Seattle (from Denver)Kansas City is probably the one team that would not look to draft QB. All those other teams probably have some interest in Clausen or Bradford. With Seattle picking 6 and 14, that might be a good partner for Washington. There appear to be several first-round-caliber OT this year. Move down to 14, get your OT there, and pick up some extra picks.
Personally, I think they should just find the next great player and pick him at #4. If they are truly convinced that there is no great player there, then trade down. Like they did in 2008. Although it is not clear there were great players with the 2nd round picks.
Well, sure. If Okung (or whoever) is there and they think he's the next Ogden, you take him. You likely won't get enough offered in return to justify trading down. But, if he's not that highly rated and you see that there will likely be a highly rated tackle at, say, 14 and you can also pick up a 1st next year and a 3rd this year, then you do that. (I totally made up that trade. I have no idea if it makes sense or not.)

I think you guys are missing the most important part of Snyder's press release (which is not whether his apology was adequate or not).

I am hopeful that our fans will accept my commitment and pledge to deliver a franchise that can compete in the NFC East every season
He's talking about "a franchise that can compete in the NFC East every year." Not talking playoffs and Super Bowls and other la-la land stuff.

In the locker room, players said they were voicing support for assistants to keep their jobs in D.C., however. Cornerback DeAngelo Hall said "a lot of guys are putting votes in for their position coaches and guys they've grown close to." Hall said that guys would "be up there screaming for" coaches Jerry Gray and Steve Jackson, and tight end Chris Cooley shouted across the locker room to fellow tight end Todd Yoder that he had gone in to speak with Allen regarding tight ends coach Scott Wachenheim.

The future of at least one assistant, however, may already be decided. Hall indicated that defensive coordinator Greg Blache likely won't be back with the Redskins. "I think the writing's on the wall for G.B.," Hall said. "I think he feels like he's done. I don't think he wants to coach any more. So I don't know if he'll come back as the coordinator or not."
Jason Reid

"Just some things that some guys got away with that some other guys - we have 'rules guys' and we have 'guideline guys,'" Cartwright said. "Rules guys have to stick to the rules. Guideline guys, you go by your own guidelines and do what you want to do. When you got a team sport, everybody has to be rules guys and be on the same page."Cartwright said players also noticed that some guys had a direct line with team management and bypassed Zorn when they had concerns. "When you've got guys that feel like they have that power, then of course that's a bad apple in the bunch," Cartwright said. Wynn also acknowledged the problem existed and said he was concerned about how younger players in the locker room were learning from negative influences around them.
Wynn, like Cartwright and Daniels, also said he believed that the head coach needed to have the final word within the locker room - something that didn't happen this season in Washington.
Thanks Vinnie. Thanks Dan.

In the locker room, players said they were voicing support for assistants to keep their jobs in D.C., however. Cornerback DeAngelo Hall said "a lot of guys are putting votes in for their position coaches and guys they've grown close to." Hall said that guys would "be up there screaming for" coaches Jerry Gray and Steve Jackson, and tight end Chris Cooley shouted across the locker room to fellow tight end Todd Yoder that he had gone in to speak with Allen regarding tight ends coach Scott Wachenheim.

The future of at least one assistant, however, may already be decided. Hall indicated that defensive coordinator Greg Blache likely won't be back with the Redskins. "I think the writing's on the wall for G.B.," Hall said. "I think he feels like he's done. I don't think he wants to coach any more. So I don't know if he'll come back as the coordinator or not."
Jason Reid
Well of course MeAngelo would to keep coaches who would let him miss tackles and drop picks with no repercussions. You got to flush ALL these guys and let Shanny (or whoever) start over with their guys. Then, if buster c's right, we can flush them all in two years and start over AGAIN.

dgreen said:
Sidewinder16 said:
Shaolin Hangman said:
fatness said:
From Darth Snyder;

"This has been an extremely difficult season for our organization and for the fans. Bruce Allen spent many hours examining the football operations, and we are both determined to do whatever it takes to build a championship team. That process begins today.

"No one in the organization is satisfied with our record over the last two years, and I am sure that Jim would concur with that statement. It has been painful for him too. I certainly accept responsibility for mistakes that I have made. I am hopeful that our fans will accept my commitment and pledge to deliver a franchise that can compete in the NFC East every season.

"Finally, I am mindful that this is a tough day for Jim and his family, and I do want to wish him success in his next endeavor."
Italics to show lower, more reasonable expectations.
This is a very empty statement of contrition given that there's absolutely no details given as to what mistakes he's made or what he's doing to correct them. This was said because it was "proper" and expected to do so. It's like your seven-year old mumbling "sorry" with his head down when caught doing something.
Sounds even more empty, at least to me, when Allen, after saying the status quo is unacceptable and that "we have to change the way we do business", says this isn't a rebuilding project. His presser sounded very much to me like he was pushing a party line of "we can and will be successful immediately".
If you have the proper people in place to make certain decisions are perform certain duties, I don't think they are that far away from being a decent team that you can call successful next year. I don't think any franchise is. The trick is to then continue that success. That's requires constant retooling of certain parts of the roster. It requires acquiring another RB the year before your top RB slows down rather than the year after. It requires drafting future OL to take over for your soon-to-be over the hill OL. They missed on those chances the last couple years. So, they have to deal with those issues along with the future at LB and DB and WR and QB and well, most positions.I have no problem with a "the future is now" attitude and approach as long as they simultaneously prepare for the future that is in the future. They need to focus on getting some guys that can help bridge the gap and make this team respectable in the short term while drafting guys that will help this team be successful in the future. Just don't give those bridges 6 years and $40 million. Don't make them the future. Make them the "future is now" guys while also focusing on the future-future guys.

And, while I think having great players is extremely important, I think coaching is more important in the NFL than any other league. A good coaching staff can work with average talent. A good coaching staff could take next year's roster (assuming they make some good moves on the OL) and be "successful".
The truth is that with the right coaching staff and personnel decisions, a turnaround can happen very fast. Atlanta is one example. New Orleans is another. There are many more. I'm hopeful that an Allen-Shanny combo would be able to bring that about. The mentality, however, should still be one of "rebuilding". The organization needs to stop kidding itself about how bad it's been.

"Just some things that some guys got away with that some other guys - we have 'rules guys' and we have 'guideline guys,'" Cartwright said. "Rules guys have to stick to the rules. Guideline guys, you go by your own guidelines and do what you want to do. When you got a team sport, everybody has to be rules guys and be on the same page."Cartwright said players also noticed that some guys had a direct line with team management and bypassed Zorn when they had concerns. "When you've got guys that feel like they have that power, then of course that's a bad apple in the bunch," Cartwright said. Wynn also acknowledged the problem existed and said he was concerned about how younger players in the locker room were learning from negative influences around them.
Wynn, like Cartwright and Daniels, also said he believed that the head coach needed to have the final word within the locker room - something that didn't happen this season in Washington.
Being a huge Portis fan, I'm afraid this may be why he has to go. Allen could look at this situation and get rid of Portis just to eliminate that perception from coming up again. Even if they change the culture and get Snyder to buy into the idea that Portis shouldn't be talking to him so often, they might need to get rid of him just change the atmosphere and the locker room.

DCThunder said:
This may have been posted in the other thread, but here's the home and away opponents for 2010:

Home: Dallas, New York, Philadelphia, Green Bay, Minnesota, Houston, Indianapolis, NFC South

Away: Dallas, New York, Philadelphia, Chicago, Detroit, Jacksonville, Tennessee, NFC West

The NFC South team should be Tampa Bay (worst record in that group) and the NFC West is probably St. Louis or Seattle. We could be looking at another 8-8 or 7-9 type season again. :thumbup:
Any NFC East team is looking at 7-9 or 8-8 if they don't win most of their divisional games. Observe the Giants this year, the 'Skins last year, the Eagles the year before, etc., etc.

The Broncos weren't any good in Shanahan's last couple of seasons. There were big personnel mistakes, the team didn't make the playoffs. Bruce Allen didn't put together any kind of winner down in Tampa. The Bucs won with a roster that was in place before he got there. Seems, to be, quite possible Dan Snyder is simply writing another chapter of Celebrity Football, which we have seen doesn't work.
Allen doesn't have any long history of doing anything with draft picks. I'm reminded that he didn't run the draft in Oakland...didn't have anything to do with the draft in Oakland, according to a Raiders official I talked to last week...
Wilbon chatfor the record, hiring Allen and Shanny will do nothing to return this team to glory. Wilbon says it best: Celebrity Football. these two guys are nothing but retreads, and Snyder thinks he can mine gold from the scrap heap. It ain't happenin' fellas. and you can continue to assail me as always negative, but ask yourself this: have I been wrong on this stuff? Humbly, I predicted all of this in last season's thread (minus the in-season dumping of Vinny). Specifically, my prediction was that this year would end as the Spurrier years ended - after year 2.
What a surprise . . . :thumbup:

dgreen said:
Ravens said:
dgreen said:
Who?Ozzie N.?
Keep whistling past the graveyard, kid. :bow: talks.
:thumbup: This shouldn't be a foreign concept to Ravens fans. After all, that's how they got their team. :lmao:

Being a huge Portis fan, I'm afraid this may be why he has to go. Allen could look at this situation and get rid of Portis just to eliminate that perception from coming up again. Even if they change the culture and get Snyder to buy into the idea that Portis shouldn't be talking to him so often, they might need to get rid of him just change the atmosphere and the locker room.
I love Portis on the field, but this is the best way to make a statement about changing the team culture by far. The truth is that you don't need to have a superstar RB to compete, and Portis isn't that anymore anyway.

According the NFL Pick Value Chart, the Redskins should be able to pick up a 2nd and 3rd from Seattle to move down to 14. I'd guess if Seattle (or any other team) is trading up for a QB, the value would go up.

From John Keim's (Washington Examiner) Twitter:

"FWIW: source close to cowher says ex #Steelers coach spoke with B. Allen this AM. But Cowher felt Shanahan deal was already done."

http://twitter.com/John_keim
:lmao: Both Shanny and Danny are trying to play the "other options" card. Someone needs to tell them to "get a room".
It's all part of The Process.
Sleepover?
:bag: :lmao:

Rotoworld

A league official confirmed to the AP that the Redskins formally interviewed Mike Shanahan regarding their head coaching vacancy on Monday.GM Bruce Allen spoke to Shanahan by phone, though it's unclear if Allen was on owner Dan Snyder's plane to Colorado early Monday. It's been confirmed that Shanahan was aboard the flight, which landed in D.C. on Monday afternoon. His hiring appears imminent, and probably will come by Tuesday

Shanahan flies into DC

106.7 The Fan reporter Sky Kerstein reports live from Dulles airport that team plane "Redskins One" has landed. Mike Shanahan and a woman emerged from the plane and got into Dan Snyder's Maybach. Shanahan refused comment.
Never heard of the Maybach. Looks pretty sweet. I wonder if Vinny was the chauffeur.I wonder what Zorn was picked up in? "Hey, Pizza Hut, on your way here to deliver the pizza can you swing by Zorn's hotel room and pick him up? We're going to make him the head coach. I know, crazy. But, you know, he's been so impressive and we've really always seen him as a head coach. No, really. Honestly. This is our top choice. Just pick him up please."

106.7 The Fan reporter Sky Kerstein reports live from Dulles airport that team plane "Redskins One" has landed. Mike Shanahan and a woman emerged from the plane and got into Dan Snyder's Maybach. Shanahan refused comment but was carrying PJ's, a Wii, and several Chuck E. Cheese coupons.
:confused:

Rotoworld

A league official confirmed to the AP that the Redskins formally interviewed Mike Shanahan regarding their head coaching vacancy on Monday.GM Bruce Allen spoke to Shanahan by phone, though it's unclear if Allen was on owner Dan Snyder's plane to Colorado early Monday. It's been confirmed that Shanahan was aboard the flight, which landed in D.C. on Monday afternoon. His hiring appears imminent, and probably will come by Tuesday
Pretty sure since Allen was at Redskins Park for the press conference today, it's safe to assume he wasn't on a plane flying from Colorado at the same time.

Rotoworld

Pretty sure since Allen was at Redskins Park for the press conference today, it's safe to assume he wasn't on a plane flying from Colorado at the same time.
Don't tell Shanny that. :confused:

106.7 The Fan reporter Sky Kerstein reports live from Dulles airport that team plane "Redskins One" has landed. Mike Shanahan and a woman emerged from the plane and got into Dan Snyder's Maybach. Shanahan refused comment but was carrying PJ's, a Wii, and several Chuck E. Cheese coupons.
:goodposting:
:confused:And a copy of Madden 2010. "We gotta get to work. First, we find all the players with a 99 rating and wire them money."

Mike Shanahan is expected to be named head coach of the Redskins, according to sources in the organization, and, barring unforeseen glitches, will likely be introduced in a news conference Tuesday.
Several of Zorn's assistants are under contract for the 2010 season, but the staff will undergo sweeping change, according to a league source familiar with Shanahan's plans. What remains unclear is whether Shanahan will have the dual title of team president and coach, as Joe Gibbs did in his second stint with the Redskins under owner Daniel Snyder.Regardless of titles, though, Shanahan is expected to have significant input in player-personnel decisions. Allen is an adept football administrator and a salary-cap expert, league sources said, but he is not considered as strong in evaluating talent.

Rotoworld

:stillers:

Shanahan flies into DC

106.7 The Fan reporter Sky Kerstein reports live from Dulles airport that team plane "Redskins One" has landed. Mike Shanahan and a woman emerged from the plane and got into Dan Snyder's Maybach. Shanahan refused comment.
Never heard of the Maybach. Looks pretty sweet. I wonder if Vinny was the chauffeur.I wonder what Zorn was picked up in? "Hey, Pizza Hut, on your way here to deliver the pizza can you swing by Zorn's hotel room and pick him up? We're going to make him the head coach. I know, crazy. But, you know, he's been so impressive and we've really always seen him as a head coach. No, really. Honestly. This is our top choice. Just pick him up please."

Users who are viewing this thread