What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official National Signing Day thread*** (1 Viewer)

Currently here are the avg rankings per recruit standings:

Scout:

1. Texas 3.86 stars per recruit

2. Auburn 3.74

3. Alabama 3.74

4. OU 3.71

5. FSU 3.67

Rivals:

1. Alabama 3.83

2. Texas 3.77

3. OU 3.69

4. FSU 3.65

5. LSU 3.64

Texas Tech also owned TCU in the state of Texas this year, I think their move to the Big East is going to actually hurt not help their recruiting. No one from Texas wants to play games in Vermont in November.

Cyrus K to Auburn.
Surprising, since he only visited for the first time last weekend...and who's parents never visited. Especially considering his brother is at UA and reportedly loves it there (as do his parents).But it happens!Not sure where the Rivals rankings stand at this point...too many surprises so far.

Auburn was supposedly "full" all the way back to the Army All American game....all these "flip" and "surprise" signings really aren't that or they don't have room, right?

I really don't understand how Clemson continues to get top recruits. People like going 6-6 every year?

Pretty good report by Outside the Lines on over-signing that highlights players that are essentially just cut to make room for oversignees so it's not just a game of recruiting extra players because you know some won't qualify. It notes that SEC schools, for instance, signed an average of 103 players over a 4-year period compared to an average of 91 for the other BCS conferences.

Over the Limit

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty good report by Outside the Lines on over-signing.

Over the Limit
I haven't watched it, but I understand that Chris Garret was the main guy complaining about LSU. I am going to find some pics someone posted of the guy when he came to LSU and when he went to Northwestern, LA. The story was he didnt live up to his end of the scholarship buy doing nothing but gaining weight by being a lazy sob. True Freshman pic

Pic the next fall after being "cut"

The response includes a nice bit about Elliot Porter. He is back at LSU and wishes he would have taken the greyshirt offer and would now be on scholarship rather than a walk-on.

Over the Limit
I haven't watched it, but I understand that Chris Garret was the main guy complaining about LSU. I am going to find some pics someone posted of the guy when he came to LSU and when he went to Northwestern, LA. The story was he didnt live up to his end of the scholarship buy doing nothing but gaining weight by being a lazy sob. True Freshman pic

The response includes a nice bit about Elliot Porter. He is back at LSU and wishes he would have taken the greyshirt offer and would now be on scholarship rather than a walk-on.
I don't doubt that Garret was cut due to performance. In fact, the point of the piece is that schools over-recruit and then essentially just cut players off the bottom of their roster. If that's the case, then there's little point in having a roster limit. It's also one-sided in that schools can cut players, but if a player wants to go to a different school they have to sit out a year. Seems like they should have the same restriction on the school--if you cut a player from scholarship you should lose that scholarship for the next year or something.

I really don't understand how Clemson continues to get top recruits. People like going 6-6 every year?
Supposedly Dabo is a great recruiter despite being a terrible coach; they have classes that are highly ranked almost every year. Growing up in SC, I can tell you that the mismatch between reputation and reality at Clemson isn't unique to athletics. The university is extremely well marketed and it doesn't surprise me that a good recruiter would be able to build on that to attract top recruiting classes.

Pretty good report by Outside the Lines on over-signing that highlights players that are essentially just cut to make room for oversignees so it's not just a game of recruiting extra players because you know some won't qualify. It notes that SEC schools, for instance, signed an average of 103 players over a 4-year period compared to an average of 91 for the other BCS conferences.

Over the Limit
That's pretty awful. I read this was a problem, but didn't know it was this prevalent. Two observations: Les Miles comes off like a scumbag and Terry Bowden has gained 200 pounds

I know Michigan doesn't do this but OU may have done it in the past. They aren't doing it anymore though, OU will be at 86 scholarships come spring and they have already asked for a waiver for that 86th guy so they don't have to greyshirt anyone.

Regarding greyshirts...Alabama has 1 potential this year...WR Daryl Collins, who is listed as a commit.

He was told prior to today that his only option was greyshirting, so he will not sign a LOI today with Alabama.

It was certainly no surprise and he's had plenty of time to pursue other options.

Over the Limit
That's pretty awful. I read this was a problem, but didn't know it was this prevalent. Two observations: Les Miles comes off like a scumbag and Terry Bowden has gained 200 pounds

I know Michigan doesn't do this but OU may have done it in the past. They aren't doing it anymore though, OU will be at 86 scholarships come spring and they have already asked for a waiver for that 86th guy so they don't have to greyshirt anyone.
The link to oversigning.com that someone put up also has a link to the average number of recruits signed by each team by conference over the last 9 years. Link According to that, OU has an average of 23.89 which would total 96 over 4 years--that seems reasonable with non-qualifiers and transfers.

Cyrus K to Auburn.
Surprising, since he only visited for the first time last weekend...and who's parents never visited. Especially considering his brother is at UA and reportedly loves it there (as do his parents).But it happens!
Adding to the drama...it's being tweeted by several recruiting people that Cyrus has not faxed his LOI to Auburn yet, and is having a 'family meeting'. :thumbup: I love this day.

Kevin McReynolds, DT from DC, to UCLA. Hooray for UCLA, who also apparently screwed up the DC hire choosing Rocky Seto over Randy Shannon.

I didn't see it posted, but Jalen Grimble (DT out of Nevada) flipped from USC to Miami (over UCLA).

UCLA, which is in the midst of a small, but terrible, recruiting class is now only waiting on:

Devin Lucien (4-star WR out of SoCal),

Torian White (3-star OL verbal out of Lakewood HS in SoCal),

Marqise Lee (4-star, #3 ranked S out Serra HS in Garden, who is pretty much an SC lock), and

Fou Funoti (3-star JC OL recruit)

Over the Limit

I don't doubt that Garret was cut due to performance. In fact, the point of the piece is that schools over-recruit and then essentially just cut players off the bottom of their roster. If that's the case, then there's little point in having a roster limit. It's also one-sided in that schools can cut players, but if a player wants to go to a different school they have to sit out a year. Seems like they should have the same restriction on the school--if you cut a player from scholarship you should lose that scholarship for the next year or something.
If i understand your concerns, you think that a yearly scholarship should be given to a guy for four years regardless of whether the guy decides to not try to hold up his end? I do agree that if a guy's scholarship is not renewed, he should not have to sit out a year. I disagree about the school having to lose the scholarship. Your school is free because you play football. Part of playing football is to stay in shape and give a great effort to improve at football, not get fat and chase chicks.LSU was down to two scholarship Qbs last season because it relied on Garret, and he failed LSU and himself.

In fact, Miles has recently signed releases for players that want to leave the program so they dont have to sit out.

Over the Limit

If i understand your concerns, you think that a yearly scholarship should be given to a guy for four years regardless of whether the guy decides to not try to hold up his end? I do agree that if a guy's scholarship is not renewed, he should not have to sit out a year. I disagree about the school having to lose the scholarship. Your school is free because you play football. Part of playing football is to stay in shape and give a great effort to improve at football, not get fat and chase chicks.LSU was down to two scholarship Qbs last season because it relied on Garret, and he failed LSU and himself.

In fact, Miles has recently signed releases for players that want to leave the program so they dont have to sit out.
The problem that I have is where do you draw the line between "fat slob" and just being the 86th guy on the depth chart. As far as signing waivers that smacks of "leave and we'll give you a waiver or we'll just cut you." And no, I don't necessarily think that a guy should get a lock on a scholarship, I just think the school should face some penalty for cutting the player because, like I said, otherwise there's no sense in having a roster limit--just recruit 30+ players a year and cut the weakest performers. At some point you have to draw a line that establishes whether you want these programs to be part of a university or just a semi-pro football team that shares the name and logo.According to that oversigning link Auburn signed 119 recruits over the last 4 years so they had 34 transfers, non-qualifiers and fat slobs?

If i understand your concerns, you think that a yearly scholarship should be given to a guy for four years regardless of whether the guy decides to not try to hold up his end? I do agree that if a guy's scholarship is not renewed, he should not have to sit out a year. I disagree about the school having to lose the scholarship. Your school is free because you play football. Part of playing football is to stay in shape and give a great effort to improve at football, not get fat and chase chicks.LSU was down to two scholarship Qbs last season because it relied on Garret, and he failed LSU and himself.In fact, Miles has recently signed releases for players that want to leave the program so they dont have to sit out.
That's the thing, it goes both ways. You're going to see what on their face appear to be outrageous stories of players getting screwed. But players don't live up to their end as well. I have a feeling more players let schools down than the other way around. With the pressure on head coaches to win, they have to be given some discretion to do what they feel is best for the program.

Cyrus K to Auburn.
Surprising, since he only visited for the first time last weekend...and who's parents never visited. Especially considering his brother is at UA and reportedly loves it there (as do his parents).But it happens!
Adding to the drama...it's being tweeted by several recruiting people that Cyrus has not faxed his LOI to Auburn yet, and is having a 'family meeting'. :goodposting: I love this day.
He was on the phone with Chizik as of 5 - 10 minutes ago.

madhatter said:
gump said:
Gambino said:
Crowell to UGA.
There's another first...IC pulls a live bulldog puppy out when he commits to UGA.
Really hoping a UF recruit steps up next year and rides in to his PC on a live gator. That would be awesome.
Or an FSU recruit can walk in with a blood thirsty savage. :bag:

gump said:
Gambino said:
Crowell to UGA.
There's another first...IC pulls a live bulldog puppy out when he commits to UGA.
and it looked like "Nick who" on his hat...oof
That was Gabe Wright, who signed with Auburn. That's way down the scale from IC's puppy!
Still uncalled for.....who tells these kids that kind of crap is a good idea?
I agree...never a classy thing to call out another program today.

gump said:
gump said:
Gambino said:
Cyrus K to Auburn.
Adding to the drama...it's being tweeted by several recruiting people that Cyrus has not faxed his LOI to Auburn yet, and is having a 'family meeting'. :unsure: I love this day.
Latest word is that Cyrus is going to apparently "take a few days to think about what he wants to do..."

That was Gabe Wright, who signed with Auburn. That's way down the scale from IC's puppy!
I agree...never a classy thing to call out another program today.
Uh, it had nothing to do with Saban. It was directed towards Fairley, who thought it was "clever" per his twitter.

gump said:
gump said:
Gambino said:
Cyrus K to Auburn.
Adding to the drama...it's being tweeted by several recruiting people that Cyrus has not faxed his LOI to Auburn yet, and is having a 'family meeting'. :unsure: I love this day.
Latest word is that Cyrus is going to apparently "take a few days to think about what he wants to do..."
Yeah, I was just told it's unlikely he sends in a LOI today.

gump said:
gump said:
Gambino said:
Cyrus K to Auburn.
Yeah, I was just told it's unlikely he sends in a LOI today.
So, coaches can't contact him right now, right? But he can call coaches?

gump said:
gump said:
Gambino said:
Cyrus K to Auburn.
Well...it'll be memorable either way. And we're still alive. Otherwise I think we're done for the day.

Andrew Bone from Scout chat, fwiw:

"Well guys I just spoke with Kristen. She said she does not expect Cyrus to sign his letter of intent today. He told her after the announcement he has "big doubts" about his decision and feels like he made the wrong choice.

She said Cyrus told her Auburn was the first school that came to mind when he was announcing his decision. He had not talked to his parents are to his brother, Arie, prior to the announcement. "

Andrew Bone from Scout chat, fwiw:"Well guys I just spoke with Kristen. She said she does not expect Cyrus to sign his letter of intent today. He told her after the announcement he has "big doubts" about his decision and feels like he made the wrong choice.She said Cyrus told her Auburn was the first school that came to mind when he was announcing his decision. He had not talked to his parents are to his brother, Arie, prior to the announcement. "
Crazy...but I've read this is a unique family from most we see today. Very little involvement from Mom or Dad on the football side.

gump said:
Gambino said:
Crowell to UGA.
The same sort of people who defend this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWfz-mG0myM

Updated Rivals rankings, with Kouandjio included under Auburn's number:

#1 Alabama 22 2 14 6 3.82 2,445

#2 Auburn 25 2 13 10 3.68 2,381

#3 Florida State 27 2 13 12 3.63 2,372

#4 USC 28 2 12 12 3.50 2,358

#5 Texas 22 1 15 6 3.77 2,322

#6 Georgia 25 2 11 11 3.56 2,243

#7 LSU 22 3 9 9 3.64 2,224

#8 Clemson 28 4 6 14 3.36 2,174

#9 Notre Dame 23 2 8 12 3.48 1,976

#10 Ohio State 24 1 9 13 3.42 1,934

#11 Oregon 23 1 10 12 3.52 1,912

#12 Tennessee 27 0 12 14 3.41 1,811

#13 Florida 18 0 10 8 3.56 1,710

#14 Nebraska 19 0 11 7 3.53 1,698

#15 North Carolina 26 0 9 15 3.27 1,674

#16 Oklahoma 16 2 7 7 3.69 1,665

#17 California 22 0 10 12 3.45 1,646

#18 Mississippi 28 1 6 21 3.29 1,645

#19 Texas Tech 28 0 7 20 3.21 1,521

#20 South Carolina 33 0 6 27 3.18 1,411

#21 Stanford 19 0 7 11 3.32 1,311

#22 Washington 24 0 5 16 3.08 1,299

#23 Arkansas 31 0 5 24 3.10 1,275

#24 Michigan 19 0 5 13 3.21 1,175

#25 Virginia 26 0 5 17 3.04 1,144

South Carolina should jump up quite a bit if they get Clowney.

While this is still going to be the best class in Oregon history, I'm sorely disappointed that the Ducks missed out on almost all of the big DT's they were targeting. Granted, they did get DE Ebert (JUCO), but missing on Byers, Simmons, and Heyward stings like a mofo.

While, obviously, getting Thomas tonight would be a huge coup and put Oregon squarely in the Top 6-10 range, I can't help but feel disappointed on the D-Line part.

Users who are viewing this thread