What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official National Signing Day thread*** (1 Viewer)

Actually, the rankings also do not reflect Oregon getting Mamba. It shows them only having 1 5* when he would make it 2 - 5*'s, which is a pretty big jump in points. But, let's face it, this is just bragging rights for any given school. It doesn't mean #### and no one knows how these kids will pan out.
wait....people brag about this stuff?
Have you been reading this thread?
Not until the last few weeks or so. Prior to this year, I paid about 5 minutes of attention to the "recruiting" process. With all the crap going on in AA, I decided to follow it this year. I probably still didn't follow it as close as most, but a lot more than I ever have before. Certainly eye opening.

Last edited by a moderator:
It actually started when he left his original HS in Texas for one of the top programs in the nation and after a couple of months, left that one for yet another. He committed to OU and backed out on that and then committed to Arkansas. That he ended up signing with a third school isn't all that surprising. The dude's been a soap opera well before now.
You're right. 17 year old kids should always stick with their first decision, no matter what.
Please point out where I said that. TIA.

Actually, the rankings also do not reflect Oregon getting Mamba. It shows them only having 1 5* when he would make it 2 - 5*'s, which is a pretty big jump in points. But, let's face it, this is just bragging rights for any given school. It doesn't mean #### and no one knows how these kids will pan out.
wait....people brag about this stuff?
Have you been reading this thread?
Not until the last few weeks or so. Prior to this year, I paid about 5 minutes of attention to the "recruiting" process. With all the crap going on in AA, I decided to follow it this year. I probably still didn't follow it as close as most, but a lot more than I ever have before. Certainly eye opening.
It's a lot like watching sausage being made.

honky kong said:
Shtaym Syek said:
honky kong said:
It actually started when he left his original HS in Texas for one of the top programs in the nation and after a couple of months, left that one for yet another. He committed to OU and backed out on that and then committed to Arkansas. That he ended up signing with a third school isn't all that surprising. The dude's been a soap opera well before now.
You're right. 17 year old kids should always stick with their first decision, no matter what.
:goodposting:

honky kong said:
Shtaym Syek said:
honky kong said:
:lmao:
:popcorn:

The incomparable Les Miles had this to say about the class he landed yesterday:

"This class gives us a nice balance of speed, ball skills, strength, ball size."

:popcorn:

The incomparable Les Miles had this to say about the class he landed yesterday:"This class gives us a nice balance of speed, ball skills, strength, ball size." :hophead:
Seems to fit well with his system then. :)While there were no surprises LSU definitely got what they needed in DL and OL studs. Not really a great class for DBs for us, but last year's class exceted already high expectations.

These top players not signing on NSD are rediculous. :goodposting: Ever since Terrell Pryor certain guys think they are bigger than CFB.

Saban yesterday on Oversigning and Greyshirts:

I think that there has been quite a bit written about over-signing so to speak, but we have never gotten rid of a player because of his physical ability. Any player that has left this program prematurely has created his own exit route. He’s created his own conditions for leaving, if that makes sense. Whether they are academic in terms of not doing what he needed to do academically, whether it is some violation of team or school policy, some of those things we are not allowed to talk about. We have so many seniors; we have some guys going out for the draft. Nobody really knows how many guys we had on scholarship last year, but it wasn’t 85. I can tell you that. We have some people that could not finish the season that will probably not be able to continue to play, that will be replaced and we have several players that can graduate and may not come back for their fifth year, who have been redshirted. When you add all those things up, plus guys we have that may not qualify, it is not fair to criticize the numbers. When you look at the numbers without knowing all the facts and internal information, I think that is a little premature and unfair. Then for people to go out and use that against you in recruiting is even more unfair. This is the number of players that we could take and we could add one or so to that if the opportunity presents itself in the future and we do have some guys that may greyshirt.

Let me address that too, because I think there is a lot of criticism in greyshirting that is unfair. First of all, we have never greyshirted a guy here who when he decided to come here didn’t know the circumstances that we were going to take him at The University of Alabama. The reason is sometimes academic, the reason is sometimes physical development and maturity, but never has a player not known (they might be greyshirted.) We have never not done it upfront, so the player comes here with the idea that I’m going to start school in January. Now I don’t think that is a bad thing. If we were not able to do that, those players would never have the opportunity to come here. So we are actually creating an opportunity for a guy to come here, not taking one away. That is why I think there is some disconnect out there and understanding about what greyshirting is all about.

These top players not signing on NSD are rediculous. :) Ever since Terrell Pryor certain guys think they are bigger than CFB.
You realize that nowhere is it required that a player signs on NSD, right?
I think he's talking about the guys who do it just to attract attention. I don't think anyone has issue if the kid is really conflicted and hasn't made up his mind. It's the seeking attention part that gets to everyone....I can't disagree with that. Some of these kids go too far. It started happening before Pryor though.

Kouandjio official signs with Alabama.

Clowney apparently now down to SCar and Clemson.

Clowney announcement tomorrow on ESPN at 10:15.

He says it's still down to 3....Alabama, Clemson, and USCe.

Clowney chooses USC! Go Cocks!(hopefully he pans out)
Congrats...I was hoping he stayed out of the SEC...but at least he's in the East. His HS film is really impressive...I'd bet a lot of money on him panning out, as long as he stays healthy.

Clowney announcement tomorrow on ESPN at 10:15.He says it's still down to 3....Alabama, Clemson, and USCe.
Someone remind me why this kid thinks it's necessary to wait 2 weeks after NSD to hold his press conference?Was there a legitimate reason or did he just need a day all to himself?

Third said:
gump said:
Clowney announcement tomorrow on ESPN at 10:15.He says it's still down to 3....Alabama, Clemson, and USCe.
Someone remind me why this kid thinks it's necessary to wait 2 weeks after NSD to hold his press conference?Was there a legitimate reason or did he just need a day all to himself?
He said he wanted to visit Clemson, which he hadn't done prior to NSD. Not 100% sure if that was the only reason though. It was also his b-day today.

Third said:
gump said:
Because it's his birthday and a huge achievement. I think it's cool that he did it.

Third said:
gump said:
Because it's his birthday and a huge achievement. I think it's cool that he did it.
:pickle: "Huger" than the other thousand kids who signed D1 scholarships two weeks ago?

Third said:
gump said:
:lmao: "Huger" than the other thousand kids who signed D1 scholarships two weeks ago?
Who cares what they did? Nothing says he has to commit that day.

Third said:
gump said:
:yes: "Huger" than the other thousand kids who signed D1 scholarships two weeks ago?
This is a very weird thing to be upset about. He's a kid. He wanted to announce his college on his birthday. Big deal.

Third said:
gump said:
:thumbup: "Huger" than the other thousand kids who signed D1 scholarships two weeks ago?
Who cares what they did? Nothing says he has to commit that day.
:football: Last time I checked, National Signing Day was not the only day to sign...

Classy move by Shane Beamer to leave South Carolina for Va. Tech today after Clowney signs. I'm sure his dad just made him the offer over lunch and it was just a convenience and he wasn't lying to the kid all along. Gotta love the NCAA.

Classy move by Shane Beamer to leave South Carolina for Va. Tech today after Clowney signs. I'm sure his dad just made him the offer over lunch and it was just a convenience and he wasn't lying to the kid all along. Gotta love the NCAA.
Beamer wasn't the coach recruiting Clowney and didn't coach Clowney's position. No big deal.

Beamer wasn't the coach recruiting Clowney and didn't coach Clowney's position. No big deal.
This.Eliis Johnson and especially Lorenzo Ward were the main recruiters for Clowney. Lattimore, Gilmore, and Holloman helped out as well. I've been on cloud 9 since 10:30 this morning and can't wait until football season starts next season.

I got to watch this kid a lot this year. He was always the best athlete on the field and always bigger than everyone else. If I had to guess, he'll take the path of Bowers. I think it takes him time to get used to CFB. We'll see, but if teams could afford to put two guys on him, he was shut down. Went to the game between them and Northwestern in Rock Hill at the beginning of the year and it was a "meh" day since he was double teamed all day. Worely was definitely the star on the field that day.

Yesterday was a coincidence?
maybe his annual contract wasnt up until the recruiting year finished so he had to wait until this guy signed. :dunno:I would think coaching contract would be on a year that begins with spring ball and ends with the end of recruiting season.

I got to watch this kid a lot this year. He was always the best athlete on the field and always bigger than everyone else. If I had to guess, he'll take the path of Bowers. I think it takes him time to get used to CFB. We'll see, but if teams could afford to put two guys on him, he was shut down. Went to the game between them and Northwestern in Rock Hill at the beginning of the year and it was a "meh" day since he was double teamed all day. Worely was definitely the star on the field that day.
If he sees double teams then that is good also. We are pretty stacked on the DL and if Clowney is double teamed then that just creates mismatches for guys like Devin Taylor, Melvin Ingram, Travian Robertson, Kelcy Quarles, Chaz Sutton, Gerald Dixon, Gerald Dixon Jr., and Phillip Dukes. I see this a a huge +

This.

Eliis Johnson and especially Lorenzo Ward were the main recruiters for Clowney. Lattimore, Gilmore, and Holloman helped out as well.

I've been on cloud 9 since 10:30 this morning and can't wait until football season starts next season.
I'm pretty excited about next year too, my biggest concern is still at QB. I just don't think Garcia has the mentality to win a championship, he made costly turnovers in each of our losses and panics far too easily. I hope he can learn from what he went through last year but I can't help feeling he is going to blow it this year, again.

I'm pretty excited about next year too, my biggest concern is still at QB. I just don't think Garcia has the mentality to win a championship, he made costly turnovers in each of our losses and panics far too easily. I hope he can learn from what he went through last year but I can't help feeling he is going to blow it this year, again.
Garcia is a big liability. Maybe he pulls it all together his senior year. One can hope.

If he sees double teams then that is good also. We are pretty stacked on the DL and if Clowney is double teamed then that just creates mismatches for guys like Devin Taylor, Melvin Ingram, Travian Robertson, Kelcy Quarles, Chaz Sutton, Gerald Dixon, Gerald Dixon Jr., and Phillip Dukes. I see this a a huge +
I don't think there is any question he'll help out. He'll be an impact player. I'm not convinced he'll be an impact player day one. I don't think he's going to scare OC at the beginning. He'll learn and become very good to great. I think he'll take the Bowers path if he sticks with it and can stay in school. Academics were a big problem for him, but to his credit he got himself eligible.

I don't think there is any question he'll help out. He'll be an impact player. I'm not convinced he'll be an impact player day one. I don't think he's going to scare OC at the beginning. He'll learn and become very good to great. I think he'll take the Bowers path if he sticks with it and can stay in school. Academics were a big problem for him, but to his credit he got himself eligible.
I can agree with this. I don't know that he will make a huge impact right away either. I wouldn't be shocked if he did but it's rare for a player at his position to do.

Garcia is a big liability. Maybe he pulls it all together his senior year. One can hope.
Garcia showed alot of improvement from his soph. to junior year. I hope he shows the same improvement from JR. to SR. He does have a knack for making a boneheaded play from time to time but he is tough and plays with a warrior's mentality. He also seemed to lock in on Alshon too much. If he can improve on going through his progressions then he should definitely improve his game as well as the entire offense. If things don't go so well for him next year then maybe Connor Shaw will finally get his shot. He should be pretty good once he gets more experience.

The recruiting wars for 2012 have begun and are in full force here in SC. It was tweeted that Marcus Lattimore went to the Lexington playoff game on Wednesday night. He was there with Keycle Quarles and Dylan Thompson. Gotta be good that our guys are showing Shaq Roland some love, lets hope they keep in contact with him and help us recruit him.

The last bigtime prospect from my hometown was Demetrius Summers and well he pretty much busted.

Anyone checking out the new Recruiting Network, 24/7? The Alabama Rivals site (Bamaonline) is jumping ship to this new home...and rolls out tomorrow reportly...under a lot of secrecy.

Here's an article from last Fall about the new network and some info about the battles over the years between Rivals, Scout, and ESPN:

http://bucknuts.com/index.php/Blog/ex-rivals-founder-shannon-terry-looking-to-challenge-rivals-scout-and-espn-with-college-recruiting-network-20-247-sports.html
A lot of the current Scout sites were Rivals sites originally. Then, many of them switched to The Insiders, before that became Scout.com.

Bump for the 2012 version.

Current team rankings:

http://247sports.com/Team/Ranking

http://rivals.yahoo....nk/2012/all/all

http://recruiting.sc...=9&c=14&yr=2012

http://insider.espn....2fclassrankings

I'm interested to see how the SEC 'hard cap' of 25 works this year...if the JP post of back-counters being eliminated is accurate.

Also interested in USC first class under scholarship limitations.

Also how first year coaches at Ohio State, Penn State, UCLA, and Texas AM do.
Asked before, but Alabama's already at 27...how's that work exactly? I still can't find the SEC rulebook verbiage addressing the new rule. Anyone have a link to an online version of the rulebook?ETA: OSU will be fine with recruiting. They lost a couple but have flipped several. There should be no drop off now that the slap on the wrist was handed down.

Current team rankings:

http://insider.espn....2fclassrankings Please remove that laughable pile of trash... :lmao:

I'm interested to see how the SEC 'hard cap' of 25 works this year...if the JP post of back-counters being eliminated is accurate.

As an Ohio State fan, I can really only speak to what Urbs has done so far. So far, he has far exceeded any expectations any fan could have had about if the change would affect recruiting. Quickly moving in and getting off to a fast start, he has a very obvious focus. The Defensive line. It's very apparent that he deems a fast dline to be one of the most important units to compete on a national level. And, I'm not sure he could be doing any better.

Current team rankings:

http://insider.espn....2fclassrankings

UCLA has a lot of momentum right now. Mora came out quickly and hired some recruiting aces in Adrian Klemm (OL coach from SMU), Demetrice Martin (DB coach from UW), Steve Broussard (RB coach from ASU), and Eric Yarber (WR coach from Tampa Bay Bucs, previously at ASU and Oregon St.). Marques Tuiassosopo was hired on as TE coach and is reportedly a very good recruiter. And, they also added OC/QB guru Noel Mazzone from ASU.Since he's been hired, Mora and staff have gotten commitments from 4 star DBs Marcus Rios and Ishmael Adams (Army Bowl MVP), and 5 star DT Ellis McCarthy, in addition to six other 3 star prospects. They've also gotten a commitment from 4 star QB Eddie Printz out of Georgia for the 2013 class. They feel pretty good about securing at least one QB for this class, possibly two, between 3 star TJ Millweard (probable commit today), 3 star Nathan Sudfeld, and 4 star Devin Fuller.

This coming weekend should be packed with talent and many of them will get to meet with UCLA's newest (and one of their richest) booster, Sean Combs, whose committed son will also be on his official visit.

The question, as always, will be whether the new staff can get the current players to win. They've got the talent, based on recruiting rankings.

Users who are viewing this thread