What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official National Signing Day thread*** (1 Viewer)

Bump for the 2012 version.

Current team rankings:

http://247sports.com/Team/Ranking

http://rivals.yahoo....nk/2012/all/all

http://recruiting.sc...=9&c=14&yr=2012

http://insider.espn....2fclassrankings

I'm interested to see how the SEC 'hard cap' of 25 works this year...if the JP post of back-counters being eliminated is accurate.

Also interested in USC first class under scholarship limitations.

Also how first year coaches at Ohio State, Penn State, UCLA, and Texas AM do.
Asked before, but Alabama's already at 27...how's that work exactly? I still can't find the SEC rulebook verbiage addressing the new rule. Anyone have a link to an online version of the rulebook?
I'm learning more and more every year...but still confused. I THINK though that one thing that skews the numbers is kids who don't qualify academically, who are counted in the ranking, but obviously don't get scholarships and therefore don't count against the 25 limit. Not sure when they know though that a kid doesn't make his grades and when that 25 has to be 25.There will also be flips where a guy under the current 27 goes elsewhere.

Current team rankings:

I'm interested to see how the SEC 'hard cap' of 25 works this year...if the JP post of back-counters being eliminated is accurate.

Gamecocks moving up the rankings nicely here. They had been barely top 25 in these a couple weeks ago.

Current team rankings:

Asked before, but Alabama's already at 27...how's that work exactly? I still can't find the SEC rulebook verbiage addressing the new rule. Anyone have a link to an online version of the rulebook?
I'm learning more and more every year...but still confused. I THINK though that one thing that skews the numbers is kids who don't qualify academically, who are counted in the ranking, but obviously don't get scholarships and therefore don't count against the 25 limit. Not sure when they know though that a kid doesn't make his grades and when that 25 has to be 25.There will also be flips where a guy under the current 27 goes elsewhere.
I can't find the verbiage, but every article I've read states that SEC schools can only sign 25 players to NLIs or financial aid packages, and the period runs from December 1 of the previous year to May 31 of the current recruiting year (to take into account early entries, which usually count against the previous year's class). After that, you don't "sign," so they can't put limits on that. However, they did say that enrollees during the summer prior to the school year will count for that year's class.But, if the program didn’t sign and enroll a full complement of 25 the previous class, it is allowed under the new rule to back count new early enrollees who begin classes in January.

Alabama only enrolled 22 from last year's class. So, they would have been able to take 28 players this year (assuming they have 25 scholarships to give this year), provided three of them were early enrollees. I've read that, after transfers and the death of Aaron Douglas, Alabama can take 26 total under the new rule. Still, at least one of them must have enrolled early in January.

Why are the conferences allowed to set their own rules regarding recruiting?
They can only set rules that are within the NCAA's rules on recruiting. The NCAA sets no limits on how many players you can sign to NLIs. They only set limits on how many can enroll per year.Why shouldn't the schools be able to agree amongst themselves (via conferences) on limits with regard to recruiting that are still within the NCAA's rules?

I can't find the verbiage, but every article I've read states that SEC schools can only sign 25 players to NLIs or financial aid packages, and the period runs from December 1 of the previous year to May 31 of the current recruiting year (to take into account early entries, which usually count against the previous year's class). After that, you don't "sign," so they can't put limits on that. However, they did say that enrollees during the summer prior to the school year will count for that year's class.But, if the program didn't sign and enroll a full complement of 25 the previous class, it is allowed under the new rule to back count new early enrollees who begin classes in January. Alabama only enrolled 22 from last year's class. So, they would have been able to take 28 players this year (assuming they have 25 scholarships to give this year), provided three of them were early enrollees. I've read that, after transfers and the death of Aaron Douglas, Alabama can take 26 total under the new rule. Still, at least one of them must have enrolled early in January.
Thanks GDogg...but I think this contradicts what jplvr said in the other thread about the 'hard cap' forcing you to count all early enrollees for this year instead of back-counting some of them.Alabama enrolled 8 last week from the '12 signing class....so plenty to count back if allowable. :loco:

Arik Armstead (5 star on Scout, 4 star on Rivals) said to be announcing in the next day or two, down to Auburn and Notre Dame. Word is he's trying to get his brother Armond (USC transfer) into whatever school he chooses so they can play one year together.

I can't find the verbiage, but every article I've read states that SEC schools can only sign 25 players to NLIs or financial aid packages, and the period runs from December 1 of the previous year to May 31 of the current recruiting year (to take into account early entries, which usually count against the previous year's class). After that, you don't "sign," so they can't put limits on that. However, they did say that enrollees during the summer prior to the school year will count for that year's class.But, if the program didn't sign and enroll a full complement of 25 the previous class, it is allowed under the new rule to back count new early enrollees who begin classes in January. Alabama only enrolled 22 from last year's class. So, they would have been able to take 28 players this year (assuming they have 25 scholarships to give this year), provided three of them were early enrollees. I've read that, after transfers and the death of Aaron Douglas, Alabama can take 26 total under the new rule. Still, at least one of them must have enrolled early in January.
Thanks GDogg...but I think this contradicts what jplvr said in the other thread about the 'hard cap' forcing you to count all early enrollees for this year instead of back-counting some of them.Alabama enrolled 8 last week from the '12 signing class....so plenty to count back if allowable. :loco:
I don't think it does contradict it. You must count all early enrollees for the current year with one exception. Keeping in mind the 85 overall scholarship limit, if you didn't sign and enroll a full 25 in the previous year (like Alabama), then you can use the difference in those slots up to last year's 25 for early enrollees.The SEC's new rule isn't really that big a deal. With few exceptions, the SEC schools are the only ones I can recall signing over 25 kids per year. It just protects kids that think they've got a scholarship only to hear over the summer that they no longer have a scholarship (as happened to some LSU kid last year, I think) and need to look elsewhere. Regardless of what the SEC does, no school can actually enroll more than 25 per year anyway, so this rule only affects how many NLIs they will accept during the signing period.

Arik Armstead (5 star on Scout, 4 star on Rivals) said to be announcing in the next day or two, down to Auburn and Notre Dame. Word is he's trying to get his brother Armond (USC transfer) into whatever school he chooses so they can play one year together.
Greg Biggins is saying that each brother favors a different school at the moment, which is causing the delay.

Greg Biggins is saying that each brother favors a different school at the moment, which is causing the delay.
Same thing I'm hearing. Doesn't sound like Armond has petitioned the SEC for a waiver meaning he's planning on Notre Dame, at least so far.

Thanks GDogg...but I think this contradicts what jplvr said in the other thread about the 'hard cap' forcing you to count all early enrollees for this year instead of back-counting some of them.Alabama enrolled 8 last week from the '12 signing class....so plenty to count back if allowable.
I don't think it does contradict it. You must count all early enrollees for the current year with one exception. Keeping in mind the 85 overall scholarship limit, if you didn't sign and enroll a full 25 in the previous year (like Alabama), then you can use the difference in those slots up to last year's 25 for early enrollees.The SEC's new rule isn't really that big a deal. With few exceptions, the SEC schools are the only ones I can recall signing over 25 kids per year. It just protects kids that think they've got a scholarship only to hear over the summer that they no longer have a scholarship (as happened to some LSU kid last year, I think) and need to look elsewhere. Regardless of what the SEC does, no school can actually enroll more than 25 per year anyway, so this rule only affects how many NLIs they will accept during the signing period.
I got it. For some reason I thought the 25 rule had already been in place and jplvr was referring to a new 'hard cap' that affected back-counters differently...but I realize now that the 25 rule begins this year.So Alabama can sign up to 28.I see UCLA has 27 signees now...so they have some spots to fill from Neuhisel's years I'm guessing?

I can't find the verbiage, but every article I've read states that SEC schools can only sign 25 players to NLIs or financial aid packages, and the period runs from December 1 of the previous year to May 31 of the current recruiting year (to take into account early entries, which usually count against the previous year's class). After that, you don't "sign," so they can't put limits on that. However, they did say that enrollees during the summer prior to the school year will count for that year's class.

But, if the program didn't sign and enroll a full complement of 25 the previous class, it is allowed under the new rule to back count new early enrollees who begin classes in January.

Alabama only enrolled 22 from last year's class. So, they would have been able to take 28 players this year (assuming they have 25 scholarships to give this year), provided three of them were early enrollees. I've read that, after transfers and the death of Aaron Douglas, Alabama can take 26 total under the new rule. Still, at least one of them must have enrolled early in January.
Thanks GDogg...but I think this contradicts what jplvr said in the other thread about the 'hard cap' forcing you to count all early enrollees for this year instead of back-counting some of them.Alabama enrolled 8 last week from the '12 signing class....so plenty to count back if allowable.
I got it. For some reason I thought the 25 rule had already been in place and jplvr was referring to a new 'hard cap' that affected back-counters differently...but I realize now that the 25 rule begins this year.So Alabama can sign up to 28.

I see UCLA has 27 signees now...so they have some spots to fill from Neuhisel's years I'm guessing?
They have room from last year's class. Two of the guys, Rios and one other, will be enrolling in the Spring and some of their targets are expected to also enroll early.However, UCLA is still actively recruiting and looks like they'd like to take as many of the guys they are targeting as are willing to come. So, UCLA is most likely having some heart to heart discussions with some of the current commits. The lower rated ones that committed to Neuheisel will most likely be asked to greyshirt or look elsewhere (which will make them look elsewhere). They are also freeing up scholarships due to transfers, academic casualties (from current players) and medical retirements.

UCLA has 27 commitments and will probably add several more (including at least two more this week). But, like I said, several of the guys they have listed as commits will definitely either be EEs, greyshirts, or won't be signing with UCLA.

Here's the latest on the top 12 uncommitted from 247:

DGB - Arkansas prediction by a hair over Texas

Armstead - strong to ND

Stefon Diggs - 5-star WR looks to be down to Auburn and Florida

Kyle Murphy - 5-star OT leaning to Stanford over late-charging USC

Eddie Goldman - was a battle between Alabama and FSU for the 5-star DT, now Auburn vs FSU

Ronald Darby - top corner also down to Auburn and FSU...leaning slightly to FSU

Darius Hamilton - Rutgers over Florida

Nelson Agholor - Florida gets the lean over USC

Josh Harvey-Clemons - UGA vs UF....UGA gets the home-state lean

Devin Fuller - Rutgers all the way

Tracy Howard - Florida over FSU

Thomas Johnson - Texas WR backs out of UT commit...now leaning to Oregon over Cal

Edwards - only thing I see is that Brockers leaving early gives LSU a shot, but he's still a 'strong lean' to FSU.

Winston - the nations top QB still an FSU commit....but Alabama's new OC meets with him today...we'll see if his QB grooming experience means anything.

Updated Rivals Rankings has tOSU jumping UM and UF to #3 after signing OT's Joey O'Connor and Taylor Decker in the last few days. :pickle: :pickle:
Who were the four that supposedly got run off just this past week?
I know of 2 off the top of my head. Jeremy Cash, a ST player, who was kicked off the team for an unspecified team rules violation, and Dominic Clarke. A true freshman last year who definitely contributed at CB, and would have probably been in contention for the nickel back spot next year. Clarke was busted for his 2nd DUI since getting to OSU. It seems UFM really wanted to send a message with that one. Lot's of people shocked at Clarke's dismissal, but time will tell if he made the right choice. :shrug:

Updated Rivals Rankings has tOSU jumping UM and UF to #3 after signing OT's Joey O'Connor and Taylor Decker in the last few days. :pickle: :pickle:
I know of 2 off the top of my head. Jeremy Cash, a ST player, who was kicked off the team for an unspecified team rules violation, and Dominic Clarke. A true freshman last year who definitely contributed at CB, and would have probably been in contention for the nickel back spot next year. Clarke was busted for his 2nd DUI since getting to OSU. It seems UFM really wanted to send a message with that one. Lot's of people shocked at Clarke's dismissal, but time will tell if he made the right choice.
Thats interesting, considering his reputation at Florida.

I know of 2 off the top of my head. Jeremy Cash, a ST player, who was kicked off the team for an unspecified team rules violation, and Dominic Clarke. A true freshman last year who definitely contributed at CB, and would have probably been in contention for the nickel back spot next year. Clarke was busted for his 2nd DUI since getting to OSU. It seems UFM really wanted to send a message with that one. Lot's of people shocked at Clarke's dismissal, but time will tell if he made the right choice.
I'm guessing that factored heavily into his decision.

I know of 2 off the top of my head. Jeremy Cash, a ST player, who was kicked off the team for an unspecified team rules violation, and Dominic Clarke. A true freshman last year who definitely contributed at CB, and would have probably been in contention for the nickel back spot next year. Clarke was busted for his 2nd DUI since getting to OSU. It seems UFM really wanted to send a message with that one. Lot's of people shocked at Clarke's dismissal, but time will tell if he made the right choice. :shrug:
Thanks...maybe it's only two...I had heard four, but am too lazy to go weed through the :hophead: to get the facts. That's why I have you guys :thumbup:

I'm guessing that factored heavily into his decision.
Its a good move...nip that rep in the bud before it blossoms in Cbus.

DGB - Arkansas prediction by a hair over Texas

Armstead - strong to ND

Stefon Diggs - 5-star WR looks to be down to Auburn and Florida

Kyle Murphy - 5-star OT leaning to Stanford over late-charging USC

Eddie Goldman - was a battle between Alabama and FSU for the 5-star DT, now Auburn vs FSU

Ronald Darby - top corner also down to Auburn and FSU...leaning slightly to FSU

Darius Hamilton - Rutgers over Florida

Nelson Agholor - Florida gets the lean over USC

Josh Harvey-Clemons - UGA vs UF....UGA gets the home-state lean

Devin Fuller - Rutgers all the way

Tracy Howard - Florida over FSU

Thomas Johnson - Texas WR backs out of UT commit...now leaning to Oregon over Cal

Edwards - only thing I see is that Brockers leaving early gives LSU a shot, but he's still a 'strong lean' to FSU.

Winston - the nations top QB still an FSU commit....but Alabama's new OC meets with him today...we'll see if his QB grooming experience means anything.
I'm sure you've seen it already, but Armstead will be announcing on signing day and his brother is going back to Southern Cal for the rest of the year and will transfer in the summer. They said they were rushing the decision.

Armstead - strong to ND
I'm sure you've seen it already, but Armstead will be announcing on signing day and his brother is going back to Southern Cal for the rest of the year and will transfer in the summer. They said they were rushing the decision.
So his brother's career is reportedly now over? I know he's looking at some East Coast options in Auburn and Alabama. Saban is rumored to be flying out to have an in-home with him.Oregon, Washington, Cal, USC, ND, Auburn, and Alabama...

A little drama added to the Jameis Winston recruitment with apparent interest from UW's top recruit Cyler Miles in Alabama....since the OC at UW moved to Tuscaloosa this month. Miles is also one of the top QBs in the country...6'4", 215 dual threat.

Interesting story - curious what you guys think about this. This kid is a borderline honor student who has been committed to Ga Tech since his Junior year and never took any visits to any other school. Tech has had all the test scores for months but they just decided this week that his scores dont meet Ga Tech's standards. Do they have an obligation to inform him earlier in the process? Or are they int the right?

Ga Tech Revokes Scholarship to player who was Commited for 11 months - 10 Days before signing day

Georgia Tech’s first commitment for its 2012 recruiting class won’t be signing the Yellow Jackets next week, according to his coach.

Junior Gnonkonde, a 6-foot-5, 225-pound defensive end from Lanier County High School, had his scholarship offer withdrawn by Georgia Tech on Friday. He had been committed to the Yellow Jackets since last February.

“We got a call from Paul Johnson saying they were withdrawing the scholarship offer because his test scores were too low,” said Lanier County athletics director John White, who is also Gnonkonde’s legal guardian.

“Coach Johnson was very nice about it. He said he didn’t want to leave Junior hanging in any way. He said he would call Central Florida on Junior’s behalf, which he did and we appreciated … but this whole thing doesn’t make any sense.

DE Junior Gnonkonde is looking for a new school after being committed to Georgia Tech for 11 months (AJC)

“Georgia Tech’s admissions people had his transcript and test score for awhile. Why didn’t they let us know long before this? We’re finding out just now? This kid has been committed to Georgia Tech for 11 months, we didn’t talk to other schools because he was committed there, and now this happens 10 days before National Signing Day?

“I’m confused, upset and very disappointed,” White said. “I feel like I let the kid down. Maybe I led him in the wrong direction by allowing him to commit so early to Georgia Tech and then shutting it down … Coach Johnson told us that his scholarship was ‘guaranteed’ unless Junior pursued other schools, committed a felony or didn’t make it academically. We cuts ties with all the other schools when he committed 11 months ago – Florida State, Georgia, Kentucky and the others that liked him and wanted to know more. We went to five college football games this year. All five were Georgia Tech home games. That was the only place we went. We didn’t do like other kids, and shop around for a free trip to Florida State, or take visits to Florida and Georgia. We went to Georgia Tech and that was it. And that was my fault.”

Gnonkonde will take an official visit to Central Florida next week, while his coach has also had contact within the last 24 hours with Florida, UGA and Louisiana Tech, among others.

Gnonkone’s coach said he has a 3.235 core GPA. Georgia Tech’s admissions office may have been behind the scholarship withdrawal.

“I’ve always given all of Junior’s academic information to Georgia Tech’s people as soon as I got it,” White said. “For the last four months, they said, ‘Coach, I think we’re going to be OK, I think we’re going to be OK.’ And then Georgia Tech’s admission office came back a couple of weeks ago and said let’s take the test one more time. So we went ahead and signed up for the SAT couple of weeks ago. The next thing I know, Georgia Tech is withdrawing the offer. I’m trying to figure it out because this kid has never made a C in high school. I’ve got the NCAA Clearinghouse’s sliding scale right front of me, and Junior has met the requirements to play Div. I football. Now are Georgia Tech’s standards a little higher? I don’t know. I just know he’s qualified to play Div. I football.”

More with John White, Gnonkonde’s coach and legal guardian:

How did Coach Johnson explain the low test score to you?

“Coach Johnson gave an example. He said ‘You know the average kid coming to Georgia Tech scored 1,400 [math and reading sections only] on the SAT, right?’ I said ‘I kind of understand that, but that most football players coming to Georgia Tech don’t have the same academic requirements as students that aren’t playing football.’ I mean, Junior is an Honor Graduate, and if his ACT test score from last spring was an issue, it should’ve been an issue a long time ago. I’ve been around football for a long time, and we all know academic rocket scientists aren’t signing football scholarships at every D1 school in the country. And I’ve been around football long enough in this state to know that every football player signing with Georgia Tech is a not a straight-A student. I just don’t understand that if there was a red flag, why didn’t they let me know a long time ago?”

What was Paul Johnon’s response to your response?

“I will be honest. He stunned me so bad about withdrawing the offer that I was pretty much speechless at that point. This was kind of devastating. It was like 10 minutes afterwards ‘Did he just call me? And withdraw the scholarship? Did all of that just happen?’ Coach Johnson quickly steered the conversation the other way before I could get too mad. He said was trying to help Junior after withdrawing the scholarship. At that point, my mind went to ‘Hey I got to get busy and find a college for this kid.’ It wasn’t a real long and drawn out conversation with Coach Johnson. Like I said, I didn’t have Junior’s test score or the sliding scale in front of me at the time. If so, I could’ve said ‘He’s qualified. What the heck are you talking about coach? He’s got this, this and this. What do you mean?’ I just think another part of the story is going to come out about all of this eventually.”

Did Paul Johnson leave open any scenario that Junior could still end up at Georgia Tech?

“No sir. He never did that. He said we’re withdrawing his scholarship because his ACT score is too low. Never was that an option. Because that was a comment I made. I said ‘We’ve signed him up to take the test again.’ He immediately jumped into the thing about calling UCF. Never once did he say ‘We’re still interested if he can get his scores up.’ They never mentioned waiting on a new test score, putting him a prep school if he didn’t score high enough, or anything like that. It was ‘Coach, we’re sorry, we’re pulling his offer because of a low test score, we don’t want to leave him hanging and I can call George O’Leary down at Central Florida.’ That’s just weird. You would think Georgia Tech would somehow try to work with a kid who had been committed to them for 11 months. There was no option to work something out there.”

How is Junior taking the news? “He’s handling it pretty good. He’s panicking a little bit, as would any 18-year old. He wants to play college football and get a great degree. That’s why we picked Georgia Tech because you can’t beat the academics of Georgia Tech. To us, academics played as much of a role for the school we picked as the football program. Obviously, we weren’t picking a football program we thought was guaranteed to play for the national championship. We were looking for a place for great academics and where we felt like the coaching staff would take care of him. And I still feel that way about [Georgia Tech assistant Glenn Spencer] . Coach Spencer said that they would recruit Junior better than anyone else, and he did … if we had known last spring’s test score was too low, I would’ve had Junior take it two or three more times. I don’t know why Georgia Tech can’t sign him and explain ‘If you can’t score higher on the test, you can’t enroll next year.’ Georgia and other colleges do that every year, don’t they? We were never told to take the test over until recently and that’s my beef. This whole thing caught us with our paints down. I know I can get his test score up with tutoring. But I was never told by Georgia Tech that we needed to get his test score up. And I will take some responsibility for that. I reckon I put too good of faith into other people.”

What will happen next? “I think he’s going to be fine. I’ve talked to Florida, Ole Miss, Central Florida, Georgia and some others. Coach Bobo is supposed to call me back tomorrow when he gets done with the recruits they have over there this weekend. Coach Bobo said when he calls me back on Sunday, he’ll have a better idea on if a scholarship will be open at those positions of outside linebacker or defensive end.”

Last edited by a moderator:
A little drama added to the Jameis Winston recruitment with apparent interest from UW's top recruit Cyler Miles in Alabama....since the OC at UW moved to Tuscaloosa this month. Miles is also one of the top QBs in the country...6'4", 215 dual threat.
Do you think that Alabama would change things around enough to fully utilize a dual threat QB though?ETA: Wasn't this kid a FSU commit? Missing what the UW OC has to do with this. I don't remember UW wanting him, but I didn't pay close attention given I knew he wasn't coming north.

Interesting story - curious what you guys think about this. This kid is a borderline honor student who has been committed to Ga Tech since his Junior year and never took any visits to any other school. Tech has had all the test scores for months but they just decided this week that his scores dont meet Ga Tech's standards. Do they have an obligation to inform him earlier in the process? Or are they int the right?
Certainly seems like they waited so he wouldn't have time to go to a rival like UGA....but I think there is still enough time to react for the kid and a new school. He's not that highly ranked..so I wonder how much interest GTs rival have in him?

How many games will Reverend Richt suspend Sanders Commings for beating up his girlfriend? Just the Buffalo game or will he get tough and sit him against Mizzou too?

Do you think that Alabama would change things around enough to fully utilize a dual threat QB though?ETA: Wasn't this kid a FSU commit? Missing what the UW OC has to do with this. I don't remember UW wanting him, but I didn't pay close attention given I knew he wasn't coming north.
Winston is committed to FSU, but inet rumors have him still considering Alabama (he visits next weekend). The Miles kid is the one suddenly opening his recruitment up...he's at USC this weekend...may visit Alabama also. I just think if he does visit Alabama, either UA knows Winston is solid to FSU or the spot they have been holding for him may not be there anymore.Good question about the dual threat...but apparently he does have a nice arm and quick release...and wants to play pro-style (which the ex UW OC runs).There is also a question of recruiting ethics...coaches aren't supposed to go after kids they recruited to their previous school....but if the kid and his family pursue it, then I have to believe its ok.

How many games will Reverend Richt suspend Sanders Commings for beating up his girlfriend? Just the Buffalo game or will he get tough and sit him against Mizzou too?
Its his first offense so we'll see.BTW what do Tech fans think about pulling the scholarship?

Its his first offense so we'll see.BTW what do Tech fans think about pulling the scholarship?
Your story only has half the real story. Player was told several times he needed to get his test scores up. He never took the SAT/ACT again. How do I feel? It's frustrating because he's supposedly a smart kid but with limited English. He's from Ivory Coast. This is the reason Ga. Tech can't compete consistently with Clemson, FSU, and the SEC for recruits. Our administration will never let us be great in football. So "good" is great for us.Hell, we're waiting for a defensive lineman to commit to us after he finds out Alabama can't make room for him in their 25. He'll be our 3rd best recruit. It's just a different playing field.

Your story only has half the real story. Player was told several times he needed to get his test scores up. He never took the SAT/ACT again. How do I feel? It's frustrating because he's supposedly a smart kid but with limited English. He's from Ivory Coast. This is the reason Ga. Tech can't compete consistently with Clemson, FSU, and the SEC for recruits. Our administration will never let us be great in football. So "good" is great for us.Hell, we're waiting for a defensive lineman to commit to us after he finds out Alabama can't make room for him in their 25. He'll be our 3rd best recruit. It's just a different playing field.
OK should have figured the AJC was butchering the story.

So, what is the requirement for getting into GT exactly? Straight A's and nothing lower than 1600 on the SAT? I don't know the answer...just wondering. The follow up question is how do the academic standards at GT compare to the rest of the ACC?

So, what is the requirement for getting into GT exactly? Straight A's and nothing lower than 1600 on the SAT? I don't know the answer...just wondering. The follow up question is how do the academic standards at GT compare to the rest of the ACC?
I don't know what the administration requires but they must approve every kid individually. Football team doesn't get any free passes anymore. O'Leary got a couple when he was here but Gailey and Johnson don't get any. Only other ACC school I've heard of rejecting fully qualified kids is Virginia. I'm guessing it's happened at Duke or Wake or even UNC before though.

I don't know what the administration requires but they must approve every kid individually. Football team doesn't get any free passes anymore. O'Leary got a couple when he was here but Gailey and Johnson don't get any. Only other ACC school I've heard of rejecting fully qualified kids is Virginia. I'm guessing it's happened at Duke or Wake or even UNC before though.
So they reject them for other reasons? Trying to understand what "rejecting fully qualified kids" means. If they meet the school standards, why reject them?

So they reject them for other reasons? Trying to understand what "rejecting fully qualified kids" means. If they meet the school standards, why reject them?
Fully qualified by NCAA standards. School rejects them because they don't meet GT's standards.

Users who are viewing this thread