What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official National Signing Day thread*** (1 Viewer)

NFLSTROUD Rick Stroud

ESPN's Adam Schefter reporting Rutgers coach Greg Schiano has been offered Bucs HC job, team is finalizing contract
I post this here because I am wondering what impact, if any will be on recruiting for Rutgers. I know there are several schools licking their chops to get some guys who are committed to Rutgers. National signing day may be more eventful then we first thought.
This could impact Devin Fuller, who was thought to be a heavy lean to Rutgers. Arizona could be a big player.
Which would be interesting. Not sure if Michigan's class (who was second on his list) would have room for him.
Some big Olineman is the one UM is gonna steal. He has taken a liking to Kyle Kalis. Cant remember his name.Big day as Joshua Garnett is announcing in 3 hours. If UM misses out on him, they will definitely have room.
I'm guessing he'll commit to Stanford.
I'm hoping his early love with AA holds true and Magnuson (sp?) keeps a voice in his ear.
Maybe this is the battered UCLA guy in me, but in my recollections, with very, very, very few exceptions, Stanford is extremely difficult to beat for recruits. Passing up that degree is something that most kids (with their parents in their ear) have real difficulty doing. That being said, it does happen on rare occasions (UCLA beat Stanford out for 4-star LB Jordan Zumwalt and 5-star RB Malcolm Jones a couple years ago).

NFLSTROUD Rick Stroud

ESPN's Adam Schefter reporting Rutgers coach Greg Schiano has been offered Bucs HC job, team is finalizing contract
I post this here because I am wondering what impact, if any will be on recruiting for Rutgers. I know there are several schools licking their chops to get some guys who are committed to Rutgers. National signing day may be more eventful then we first thought.
This could impact Devin Fuller, who was thought to be a heavy lean to Rutgers. Arizona could be a big player.
Which would be interesting. Not sure if Michigan's class (who was second on his list) would have room for him.
Some big Olineman is the one UM is gonna steal. He has taken a liking to Kyle Kalis. Cant remember his name.Big day as Joshua Garnett is announcing in 3 hours. If UM misses out on him, they will definitely have room.
I'm guessing he'll commit to Stanford.
I'm hoping his early love with AA holds true and Magnuson (sp?) keeps a voice in his ear.
Maybe this is the battered UCLA guy in me, but in my recollections, with very, very, very few exceptions, Stanford is extremely difficult to beat for recruits. Passing up that degree is something that most kids (with their parents in their ear) have real difficulty doing. That being said, it does happen on rare occasions (UCLA beat Stanford out for 4-star LB Jordan Zumwalt and 5-star RB Malcolm Jones a couple years ago).
Garnett to Stanford.

Wow, Todd Graham with a big get. RB from Scottsdale staying home and not going to Cal or SC (that's been a problem with Phx area standouts).

DJ Foster

D.J Foster Commits To Arizona State Over Cal And USC

By Bud Elliott

Arizona State signed an excellent prospect in D.J. Foster.

Jan 27, 2012 - D.J. Foster, one of the top running back recruits in the country, has committed to the Arizona St. Sun Devils. The 5'11", 190-pound prospect plays for Scottsdals (Ariz.) Saguaro. He is a consensus four-star recruit, holding offers from more than 20 schools. Foster narrowed his list to Cal, Arizona State and USC.

Foster had an insane senior season. This update is from late in the year:

He's rushed for 2,391 yards on 158 carries. That's an average of 15.1 yards per carry and 239.1 yards per game. In last week's playoff victory over Peoria Sunrise Mountain, Foster scored 10 touchdowns - seven rushing and three receiving - and ran for 508 yards, crushing the previous single-game record of 477 yards, set by Elfrida Valley Union's Ozzie Anaya in 1985.

Foster has 51 touchdowns, tieing the single-season record set by Tucson Sabino's Nathan Wize in 1997. Unless he misses the team bus, he'll shatter the record Thursday against Queen Creek in the Division III quarterfinals.

Foster is incredibly athletic and some believe he could play corner or even receiver.

How many games will Reverend Richt suspend Sanders Commings for beating up his girlfriend? Just the Buffalo game or will he get tough and sit him against Mizzou too?
Its his first offense so we'll see.BTW what do Tech fans think about pulling the scholarship?
Your story only has half the real story. Player was told several times he needed to get his test scores up. He never took the SAT/ACT again. How do I feel? It's frustrating because he's supposedly a smart kid but with limited English. He's from Ivory Coast. This is the reason Ga. Tech can't compete consistently with Clemson, FSU, and the SEC for recruits. Our administration will never let us be great in football. So "good" is great for us.Hell, we're waiting for a defensive lineman to commit to us after he finds out Alabama can't make room for him in their 25. He'll be our 3rd best recruit. It's just a different playing field.
So, what is the requirement for getting into GT exactly? Straight A's and nothing lower than 1600 on the SAT? I don't know the answer...just wondering. The follow up question is how do the academic standards at GT compare to the rest of the ACC?
Jonathan Dwyer played there if that tells you anything.

How many games will Reverend Richt suspend Sanders Commings for beating up his girlfriend? Just the Buffalo game or will he get tough and sit him against Mizzou too?
Its his first offense so we'll see.BTW what do Tech fans think about pulling the scholarship?
Your story only has half the real story. Player was told several times he needed to get his test scores up. He never took the SAT/ACT again. How do I feel? It's frustrating because he's supposedly a smart kid but with limited English. He's from Ivory Coast. This is the reason Ga. Tech can't compete consistently with Clemson, FSU, and the SEC for recruits. Our administration will never let us be great in football. So "good" is great for us.Hell, we're waiting for a defensive lineman to commit to us after he finds out Alabama can't make room for him in their 25. He'll be our 3rd best recruit. It's just a different playing field.
So, what is the requirement for getting into GT exactly? Straight A's and nothing lower than 1600 on the SAT? I don't know the answer...just wondering. The follow up question is how do the academic standards at GT compare to the rest of the ACC?
Jonathan Dwyer played there if that tells you anything.
What's that supposed to mean?

Today a Top 3 RB from Little Rock, a top 5 ATH from Birmingham, and a top 25 WR from New Orleans all committed to Alabama for 2013.

The #2 player overall, LB Rueben Foster, is already committed to UA...and the #1 player overall, DE Robert Nkemdiche, is leaning to UA.

The '13 should be smaller, but already has 7 commits. I guess this is what it feels like to be a Longhorn fan.

Nice Dogg....I'm glad to see Mora reeling in a good class.

FSU's had a good few days....Jameis Winston is rock solid, and Eddie Goldman eliminated Alabama and seems to be leaning to the Noles over AU.

Interesting stats compiled from another site showing the recruiting rankings of last year's draft class:

1. Cam Newton (Carolina) -- 5 Stars (Rivals/HS and JUCO)

2. Von Miller (Denver) -- 4 Stars (Rivals and Scout)

3. Marcell Dareus (Buffalo) -- 4 Stars (Scout)

4. A.J. Green (Cincinnati) -- 5 Stars (Rivals and Scout)

5. Patrick Peterson (Arizona) -- 5 Stars (Rivals and Scout)

6. Julio Jones (Atlanta) -- 5 Stars (Rivals and Scout)

7. Aldon Smith (San Francisco) -- 3 Stars (Rivals and Scout)

8. Jake Locker (Tennessee) -- 4 Stars (Rivals and Scout)

9. Tyron Smith (Dallas) -- 5 Stars (Rivals and Scout)

10. Blaine Gabbert (Jacksonville) -- 5 Stars (Rivals)

11. J.J. Watt (Houston) -- 2 Stars (Rivals and Scout)

12.Christian Ponder (Minnesota) -- 3 Stars (Rivals and Scout)

13. Nick Fairley (Detroit) -- 4 Stars (Scout JUCO)

14. Robert Quinn (St. Louis) -- 4 Stars (Rivals and Scout)

15. Mike Pouncey (Miami) -- 4 Stars (Rivals and Scout)

16. Ryan Kerrigan (Washington) -- 3 Stars (Rivals and Scout)

17. Nate Solder (New England) -- 3 Stars (Rivals)

18. Corey Liuget (San Diego) -- 4 Stars (Rivals and Scout)

19. Prince Amukamara (NYG) -- 3 Stars (Rivals and Scout)

20. Adrian Clayborn (Rampa Bay) -- 4 Stars (Rivals and Scout)

21. Phil Taylor (Cleveland) -- 4 Stars (Rivals and Scout)

22. Anthony Castonzo (Indianapolis) -- 2 Stars (Rivals and Scout)

23. Danny Watkins (Philadelphia) -- 4 Stars (Rivals JUCO)

24. Cameron Jordan (New Orleans) -- 3 Stars (Rivals and Scout)

25. James Carpenter (Seattle) -- 4 Stars (Rivals and Scout JUCO)

26. Jonathan Baldwin (Kansas City) -- 5 Stars (Rivals and Scout)

27. Jimmy Smith (Colorado) -- 3 Stars (Rivals and Scout)

28. Mark Ingram (New Orleans) -- 4 Stars (Rivals)

29. Gabe Carimi (Chicago) -- 3 Stars (Rivals and Scout)

30. Muhammed Wilkerson (NYJ) -- 3 Stars (Rivals)

31. Cam Heyward (Pittsburgh) -- 4 Stars (Rivals and Scout)

32. Derek Sherrod (Green Bay) -- 4 Stars (Rivals and Scout)

The breakdown:

Five Stars -- 7 players

Four Stars -- 14 players

Three Stars -- 9 players

Two Stars -- 2 players

Pretty interesting....especially considering how few 5 stars there are....and how many 3 stars there are.

Nice Dogg....I'm glad to see Mora reeling in a good class.FSU's had a good few days....Jameis Winston is rock solid, and Eddie Goldman eliminated Alabama and seems to be leaning to the Noles over AU.
Yeah, that's a huge pickup. Fuller's a stud. I'm blown away by what Mora and staff have accomplished in recruiting in only a month and a half on the job.

Interesting stats compiled from another site showing the recruiting rankings of last year's draft class:1. Cam Newton (Carolina) -- 5 Stars (Rivals/HS and JUCO) 2. Von Miller (Denver) -- 4 Stars (Rivals and Scout) 3. Marcell Dareus (Buffalo) -- 4 Stars (Scout) 4. A.J. Green (Cincinnati) -- 5 Stars (Rivals and Scout) 5. Patrick Peterson (Arizona) -- 5 Stars (Rivals and Scout) 6. Julio Jones (Atlanta) -- 5 Stars (Rivals and Scout) 7. Aldon Smith (San Francisco) -- 3 Stars (Rivals and Scout) 8. Jake Locker (Tennessee) -- 4 Stars (Rivals and Scout) 9. Tyron Smith (Dallas) -- 5 Stars (Rivals and Scout) 10. Blaine Gabbert (Jacksonville) -- 5 Stars (Rivals) 11. J.J. Watt (Houston) -- 2 Stars (Rivals and Scout) 12.Christian Ponder (Minnesota) -- 3 Stars (Rivals and Scout) 13. Nick Fairley (Detroit) -- 4 Stars (Scout JUCO) 14. Robert Quinn (St. Louis) -- 4 Stars (Rivals and Scout) 15. Mike Pouncey (Miami) -- 4 Stars (Rivals and Scout) 16. Ryan Kerrigan (Washington) -- 3 Stars (Rivals and Scout) 17. Nate Solder (New England) -- 3 Stars (Rivals) 18. Corey Liuget (San Diego) -- 4 Stars (Rivals and Scout) 19. Prince Amukamara (NYG) -- 3 Stars (Rivals and Scout) 20. Adrian Clayborn (Rampa Bay) -- 4 Stars (Rivals and Scout) 21. Phil Taylor (Cleveland) -- 4 Stars (Rivals and Scout) 22. Anthony Castonzo (Indianapolis) -- 2 Stars (Rivals and Scout) 23. Danny Watkins (Philadelphia) -- 4 Stars (Rivals JUCO) 24. Cameron Jordan (New Orleans) -- 3 Stars (Rivals and Scout) 25. James Carpenter (Seattle) -- 4 Stars (Rivals and Scout JUCO) 26. Jonathan Baldwin (Kansas City) -- 5 Stars (Rivals and Scout) 27. Jimmy Smith (Colorado) -- 3 Stars (Rivals and Scout) 28. Mark Ingram (New Orleans) -- 4 Stars (Rivals) 29. Gabe Carimi (Chicago) -- 3 Stars (Rivals and Scout) 30. Muhammed Wilkerson (NYJ) -- 3 Stars (Rivals) 31. Cam Heyward (Pittsburgh) -- 4 Stars (Rivals and Scout) 32. Derek Sherrod (Green Bay) -- 4 Stars (Rivals and Scout) The breakdown: Five Stars -- 7 players Four Stars -- 14 players Three Stars -- 9 players Two Stars -- 2 players Pretty interesting....especially considering how few 5 stars there are....and how many 3 stars there are.
That's interesting. I'd be more interested (from a HS to NCAA point of view) of the recruiting rankings vs All-Conference/All-America teams.

'gump said:
Nice Dogg....I'm glad to see Mora reeling in a good class.FSU's had a good few days....Jameis Winston is rock solid, and Eddie Goldman eliminated Alabama and seems to be leaning to the Noles over AU.
What's up with the dlineman. Edwards?

'gump said:
What's up with the dlineman. Edwards?
I don't see anything new on him....so I would think thats more good news for your Noles.

Armani Reeves to OSU
Beginning to think UM will be pocketing a scholarship or two this year.
Doubt itDiamond, Grant, and Grant are all coming with the possibility of Muller.Just read they lost out on Kozan last night too.
I haven't paid much attention to the Grant(s). I know one is a TE and it's between UM and Oklahoma. I'm not certain on Diamond either. Would sure ease the loss of Garnett if he does come though. I really would have liked to see Reeves in this class though.

Armani Reeves to OSU
Doubt it

Diamond, Grant, and Grant are all coming with the possibility of Muller.

Just read they lost out on Kozan last night too.
I haven't paid much attention to the Grant(s). I know one is a TE and it's between UM and Oklahoma. I'm not certain on Diamond either. Would sure ease the loss of Garnett if he does come though. I really would have liked to see Reeves in this class though.
TE Sam Grant commits to Oklahoma

January, 30, 2012

By Bob Przybylo

It’s not a signing day shocker, but Oklahoma received a nice surprise on Monday when tight end Sam Grant (Lakewood, Ohio/St. Edward) gave his verbal commitment to the Sooners.

St. Edward athletic director Paul Michalko, who confirmed the news to SoonerNation, needed to know because he was looking to finalize the signing day ceremony for St. Edward. He spoke with St. Edward football coach Rick Finotti on Monday morning and Finotti said Grant chose the Sooners. The signing ceremony is set for 1 p.m. CT on Wednesday.

For the last month, it has seemed like a two-team race between OU and Michigan, but it appeared the Wolverines had the edge because of the distance factor with how much closer Ann Arbor was compared to Norman from Grant' hometown in Ohio.
http://bleacherreport.com/tb/bdGgx?utm_source=&utm_medium=newsletter

Armani Reeves to OSU
Doubt it

January, 30, 2012

By Bob Przybylo

It’s not a signing day shocker, but Oklahoma received a nice surprise on Monday when tight end Sam Grant (Lakewood, Ohio/St. Edward) gave his verbal commitment to the Sooners.

St. Edward athletic director Paul Michalko, who confirmed the news to SoonerNation, needed to know because he was looking to finalize the signing day ceremony for St. Edward. He spoke with St. Edward football coach Rick Finotti on Monday morning and Finotti said Grant chose the Sooners. The signing ceremony is set for 1 p.m. CT on Wednesday.

For the last month, it has seemed like a two-team race between OU and Michigan, but it appeared the Wolverines had the edge because of the distance factor with how much closer Ann Arbor was compared to Norman from Grant' hometown in Ohio.
I'll never understand some of the guys on these other message boards. They are kind of embarrassing. After having months where Michigan got who they wanted, these last three in Reeves, Grant and Garnett have some of them in meltdown mode. :lol:

Armani Reeves to OSU
Doubt it

January, 30, 2012

By Bob Przybylo

I'll never understand some of the guys on these other message boards. They are kind of embarrassing. After having months where Michigan got who they wanted, these last three in Reeves, Grant and Garnett have some of them in meltdown mode. :lol:
It's the same everywhere. OU lost a three star CB to OkSU when Martinez left and you'd think it was Adrian Peterson. All OU did was go out and sign one of the best Juco CBs in the country (Kassiem Everett) to make up for it.

OU has a chance at a very good class with the No. 1 Prep (Metoyer) and Nos. 7, 21 & 40 Jucos (Latu, Everett & Nelson) thrown in.

Last edited by a moderator:
OU has a chance at a very good class with the No. 1 Prep (Metoyer) and Nos. 7, 21 & 40 Jucos (Latu, Everett & Nelson) thrown in.
I like the JUCO market, not sure why they haven't been doing more of this before. These guys can play on day one and Everett will likely start at the nickel when they open on Sept 1st (of course we have no idea who they are playing).

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the JUCO market, not sure why they haven't been doing more of this before. These guys can play on day one and Everett will likely start at the nickel when they open on Sept 1st (of course we have no idea who they are playing).
Hopefully these guys will perform well and they'll keep doing it. But I'm betting a lot of the impetus was losing so many transfers this off-season.

Hopefully these guys will perform well and they'll keep doing it. But I'm betting a lot of the impetus was losing so many transfers this off-season.
Some of it has to do with Whaley as well IMO.

4-star OL Zach Banner chooses Southern Cal over UW and Oklahoma.
Obviously, different publications have varying rankings. He's 5-star, No. 2 OL, No. 16 overall according to Rivals. Guy is 6-foot-9, 310 pounds!
This was a tough loss for Washington. He is a legacy (Lincoln Kennedy's son) and a local. UW is having a terrible year with WA state bluechippers--only got one of 5. The last minute turnover in assistant coaches did not help matters. Hopefully they'll pay off in seasons to come.

Obviously, different publications have varying rankings. He's 5-star, No. 2 OL, No. 16 overall according to Rivals. Guy is 6-foot-9, 310 pounds!
This was a tough loss for Washington. He is a legacy (Lincoln Kennedy's son) and a local. UW is having a terrible year with WA state bluechippers--only got one of 5. The last minute turnover in assistant coaches did not help matters. Hopefully they'll pay off in seasons to come.
I'll respectfully disagree. UW seemed to be struggling with in state recruits even prior to the turnover. With Tosh Lupoi (and Josh Wilcox) on board, UW now looks like the leader for the #1 safety in the country, Shaq Thompson, and is going to pluck a very good ATH/WR prospect out of the Bay Area in Kenny Walker. Also, assuming he doesn't go to UCLA, I've seen 4-star WR Jordan Payton listed as a likely flip to Washington.I would take any Shaq Thompson over Banner any day of the week. That kid is going to be awesome.

UW will make out fine after the coaching changes.

I'll respectfully disagree. UW seemed to be struggling with in state recruits even prior to the turnover. With Tosh Lupoi (and Josh Wilcox) on board, UW now looks like the leader for the #1 safety in the country, Shaq Thompson, and is going to pluck a very good ATH/WR prospect out of the Bay Area in Kenny Walker. Also, assuming he doesn't go to UCLA, I've seen 4-star WR Jordan Payton listed as a likely flip to Washington.I would take any Shaq Thompson over Banner any day of the week. That kid is going to be awesome.

I wholeheartedly supported the coaching changes, but a major overhauling of the coaching staff one month prior to LOI day is likely a red flag to players and their parents. I think the coaching changes will almost certainly be an upgrade (save for losing Nussmeier to Bama) and will be beneficial from a recruiting standpoint in the years to come. If the UW can sign Thompson, Walker, Payton, Brostek and Beaver (all now apparently UW leans) then that will round out this class nicely. That's a big IF.

When all is said and done, though, it comes down to coaching up these players. And I have confidence in this new staff at UW. They are 3 years removed from an 0-12 season so us Husky fans are :excited:

I wholeheartedly supported the coaching changes, but a major overhauling of the coaching staff one month prior to LOI day is likely a red flag to players and their parents. I think the coaching changes will almost certainly be an upgrade (save for losing Nussmeier to Bama) and will be beneficial from a recruiting standpoint in the years to come. If the UW can sign Thompson, Walker, Payton, Brostek and Beaver (all now apparently UW leans) then that will round out this class nicely. That's a big IF.

When all is said and done, though, it comes down to coaching up these players. And I have confidence in this new staff at UW. They are 3 years removed from an 0-12 season so us Husky fans are :excited:
Shaq Thompson to Washington. Fantastic pick up.

Shaq Thompson to Washington. Fantastic pick up.
Yeah, that's huge. And Cyler Miles re-confirmed his committment with UW after flirting with USC this week. Despite losing out on Banner this wound up being a pretty good day for the Dawgs.

Jan. 30, 2012 11:22 p.m. - by Brian London - Report: 'Canes make DE Hamilton's final twoDE Darius Hamilton of Ramsey, N.J., rated by Rivals.com as the nation's second-best player at his position and the best player in New Jersey, will reportedly attend Miami or Rutgers, according to The Star-Ledger of Newark. Hamilton, a consensus five-star prospect, had also been considering Florida. Hamilton, 6-4, 245, will announce his school choice Tuesday night.

Something I read yesterday....may have already been mentioned:

The NCAA will adopt the SEC's 25 Limit Rule next year. So all schools will be restricted to that number beginning with the '13 class.

Back-counters will still be available to allow slightly higher classes.

Something I read yesterday....may have already been mentioned:The NCAA will adopt the SEC's 25 Limit Rule next year. So all schools will be restricted to that number beginning with the '13 class.Back-counters will still be available to allow slightly higher classes.
should be interesting to see them manage this one.

'Native said:
'GDogg said:
Devin Fuller to UCLA.
Tough loss for Rutgers. FWIW, noone has defected just yet post Schiano but it sure seems likely theyre going to lose Hamilton in addition to Fuller.
Five Star DE Darius Hamilton stays in-state to play for Kyle Flood and Rutgers. Huge get for Rutgers as they not only keep their entire class in tact after the Schiano departure but also land the State's top prospect for the second year in a row.

Users who are viewing this thread