Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
pantherclub

Yet another Pitt Bull attack

On 2/13/2020 at 2:09 PM, parasaurolophus said:

This is just silly. A 5 year old can be left alone with plenty of dogs. 

ETA: Should add that I mean in the context of leaving a 5 year old alone, like going to the bathroom, or to go get your clothes out of the dryer. Not arguing that you can go to the movies and leave little jonny home with fido. That should go without saying but...

Actually not entirely true. Young iggy had to have plastic surgery to repair the extensive damage to my face done by a rat dog chihuahua. Pretty wise to have kids supervised around any animal more often than not. Family was in the house but not in the room when it happened. Pretty sure no one really knows what happened. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, The Iguana said:

Actually not entirely true. Young iggy had to have plastic surgery to repair the extensive damage to my face done by a rat dog chihuahua. Pretty wise to have kids supervised around any animal more often than not. Family was in the house but not in the room when it happened. Pretty sure no one really knows what happened. 

This isn't really a counter argument. You admittedly don't know what happened so the idea that an adult in the room would have necessarily altered what happened is not conclusive. Adults arent ninja masters that would leap through the air matrix style and intercept a dog right before bite. Quick grab and shake could have been all it took. 

All dogs pose a non zero risk for damage. Nobody argues that they don't. Just like a lamp could tip because a kid threw a pillow at his brother,scares the dog and it took off running on the hardwood and slips right into the lamp causing glass to break all over the floor and somebody cuts their foot.  

Somebody in wisconsin died just because their dog licked them.

People get dogs because they provide other benefits that far outweigh these risks. At some point though that risk calculus gets tilted. Peeing your pants instead of going to the bathroom and leaving a 5 year old child alone with a small dog seems unreasonable as a lifestyle choice. As does always hovering over them. That's not healthy for you or them. Locking up the dog all the time isn't a great plan for that either. 

Perhaps you feel the risk is too high no matter what, and I could definitely understand you feeling that way, but then that would be an argument against dogs altogether as I highly doubt anybody argues that owning a dog and always making sure that you are within arms length of your children and the dog at all times is better than just not having one. It is simply not healthy or even realistic. 

But your incident does illustrate one stark difference in results. If that rat/chih was a pit bull and it had the same outburst, your son would likely be dead, adult in the room or not.

just come on and tell us how he hurt you we can try to help brohan take that to the bank 

Edited by SWC

On 2/13/2020 at 12:47 PM, Otis said:

Neat animals. 

yea, they are really special.  [slump]

agree with everything you post regarding this killer.   97 pages of  preventable deaths & maiming.  a grizzly bear is docile also most of the time.   how anyone can defend owning a pit bull is beyond me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, parasaurolophus said:

But your incident does illustrate one stark difference in results. If that rat/chih was a pit bull and it had the same outburst, your son would likely be dead, adult in the room or not.

It was me, not my son and it happened many, many years ago. All I have info on is the selective memories of those that where there and some photos/home movies of me with a bunch of stitches in my face. 

And as I've said in here before, the discussion in here is kind of pointless a lot of times. A lot of talking past each other and making strawman like arguments. I'm neither an advocate for nor a condemner of the breed(s) in question. I have zero desire to own one, am glad none of my neighbors own own, and particularly glad none were around my kids growing up. 

As I've also said, much like a number of other highly controversial topics (gun control/rights for example), there is plenty of room for real, productive conversations around it. But that rarely happens. You get the extremes of the spectrum 'debating' the issue and nothing good comes from the 'discussion'. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, The Iguana said:

It was me, not my son and it happened many, many years ago. All I have info on is the selective memories of those that where there and some photos/home movies of me with a bunch of stitches in my face. 

Basically had the same thing happen to me, except everybody knows what happened because we were all outside together. We had a golden mix that loved to play fetch. She was chewing on a bone. I tried to grab the bone to have her go fetch it. She didn't like that. Bit me right in the face. Still have three scars. 

https://nypost.com/2020/03/03/body-of-woman-who-ran-dog-shelter-in-egypt-found-partially-eaten/

Best part of the article:

"She had also recently taken in a pit bull terrier to save it from being euthanized after it attacked someone, a friend told the paper, fearing it could be the dog who attacked her."

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that she was killed soon after taking in a pit who previously attacked someone.  

2 hours ago, ILUVBEER99 said:

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that she was killed soon after taking in a pit who previously attacked someone.  

How could she possibly have known???!!?!?!?!