What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Yet another Pitt Bull attack (1 Viewer)

nothing better to do on Friday and Saturday nights than google dogs :lmao:
Presumably most would, I think, support the lawsuit posted earlier this morning.  Not necessarily the veracity of the claims, as that will be litigated in court, but rather the resolution of the dispute through legal action designed to hold allegedly irresponsible owners accountable for their actions, as opposed to punishing the breed.  Thoughts?

It wasn’t even bad aim. It’s like the Seinfeld episode with Keith Hernandez. How does a crossbow bolt hit one of the dogs, go through the door and then still fatally wound the guy behind the door? That’s a magic bolt, not to make light of the tragedy. I just can’t picture the ricochets and the power.
I'm guessing it wasn't a metal door.  Maybe it was a screen door?

From the article:

”It's unclear what prompted the attack.

Investigators found that the dog started attacking the child when the adult stepped out of the room.”

Another preventable tragedy.  Awful.  Sad.  
To the extent that the suggestion is that the attack could have been prevented if only the adult hadn’t left the room, that just seems logistically impractical to me. If you have a five year old and a family pet (who happens to be a pit bull), you can never leave the room?  Do you bring the dog with you every time you have to go to the bathroom?  Or the kid?  If you need to start the dishwasher in the kitchen, you pull the kid away from his coloring in the family room to bring him with you?  If your cell phone rings and it’s in the bedroom, you go find the dog to take him with you to answer the phone?  And you do this countless times a day. Every day. Without exception. It does seem prudent, though not really practical. 

Also, what’s to say that the dog wouldn’t have attacked the child with the adult in the room? It doesn’t sound like the adult was able to stop the attack once it started. 

Last edited by a moderator:
To the extent that the suggestion is that the attack could have been prevented if only the adult hadn’t left the room, that just seems logistically impractical to me. If you have a five year old and a family pet (who happens to be a pit bull), you can never leave the room?  Do you bring the dog with you every time you have to go to the bathroom?  Or the kid?  If you need to start the dishwasher in the kitchen, you pull the kid away from his coloring in the family room to bring him with you?  If your cell phone rings and it’s in the bedroom, you go find the dog to take him with you to answer the phone?  And you do this countless times a day. Every day. Without exception. It does seem prudent, though not really practical. 

Also, what’s to say that the dog wouldn’t have attacked the child with the adult in the room? It doesn’t sound like the adult was able to stop the attack once it started. 
All this. It was a preventable tragedy for sure, not by the adult hovering over the stupid dog every moment of the day, but by not having the stupid dog in the first place. 

But I guess the life of a five year old is a small price to pay for the sweet, sweet, bad-### companionship that only a pit bull can provide. 

All this. It was a preventable tragedy for sure, not by the adult hovering over the stupid dog every moment of the day, but by not having the stupid dog in the first place. 

But I guess the life of a five year old is a small price to pay for the sweet, sweet, bad-### companionship that only a pit bull can provide. 
Yeah, it’s insane.   We have a family friend with a pit bull.  We don’t go to their house. Some people think we are paranoid, but whatevs.

You simply don't own a pitbull with a young child if you plan to leave then alone with a dog that strong/powerful. 

Would you leave a child alone in a room with a knife?

You simply don't own a pitbull with a young child if you plan to leave then alone with a dog that strong/powerful. 

Would you leave a child alone in a room with a knife?
No. And I wouldn’t have a pit bull living in the house with my five year old. Again, if the adult here was not able to stop the attack, why is it that there’s zero risk of a fatal attack if the adult is in the room?  We’ve already heard numerous stories of attacks when adults were present. 

No. And I wouldn’t have a pit bull living in the house with my five year old. Again, if the adult here was not able to stop the attack, why is it that there’s zero risk of a fatal attack if the adult is in the room?  We’ve already heard numerous stories of attacks when adults were present. 
I was just answering your question.

Regarding the bolded and if you directing that towards me to answer, I agree that you're not entirely eliminating the risk even if an adult is in the room....but it certainly helps (much like my knife example).  Do what you can to minimize the risk (don't own a pitbull with a young kid) and go from there.

You should research how many stupid parents get their kids killed from owning a gun in their home.  

I had a pit bull sleep in our bed last night. I nudged her because she was taking up too much room, and she farted. Scared her and she jumped off the bed and laid in the corner for a few seconds.

Crises averted :hifive:

Our 2 year old sleeps in our bed a bunch too, and my pit bull one time did have a low growl once when the kid woke her up from a deep sleep by falling on her. I let the dog know this was unacceptable, and haven't heard a peep or anything since

What was hard for me to believe, is that the man apparently called 911 during the attack.  At least that's what the article implies.  Could he not get the pit bull off?  I mean, I can't imagine not trying harder to thwart the attack and/or thinking that the cops would somehow be there in time to prevent that poor child from being ripped to pieces already.  WTF?

And in video footage of the aftermath there, when they show the dog being taken away, there is a HUGE man following them to the van, who is the only person in civilian clothing.  He is at least 300 pounds, easy.  If he was the guy in the home, can't believe he couldn't stop it and called 911 instead.  He literally could've sat on the dog he was so big.  Jump on it, smother it.....something, anything.  Get a bat, knife, whatever, not a ####### phone to make a call.

It's hard to see everything but he had no visible wounds that would indicate he tried to get in the middle of it and save the child.  I wonder if it was over before he even got back to the room.

I had a pit bull sleep in our bed last night. I nudged her because she was taking up too much room, and she farted. Scared her and she jumped off the bed and laid in the corner for a few seconds.

Our 2 year old sleeps in our bed a bunch too, and my pit bull one time did have a low growl once when the kid woke her up from a deep sleep by falling on her. I let the dog know this was unacceptable, and haven't heard a peep or anything since
...glad to hear that your 2 year old hasn't been maimed yet.

Could he not get the pit bull off?  
I've been around catch dogs (which is the hereditary problem, btw) for 20 years. I've been to a couple pitbull fights as a teen (run by the then local sheriff, btw). I am not for breed bans, and I understand this "mostly" as a population/idiot owner problem with pitties. They are everywhere in big big numbers -- the dogs and the idiots.

I didn't want to tell this story here, but about 5 months ago, I was walking to the convenience store and heard loud terrified screaming up the street. I started to run and two much younger men closer to the scene came out of a backyard running ahead of me. One had a two by four. The other a large screw driver. A pit who was a friend to all in the neighborhood had latched onto a poodle's throat and was rag dolling it as the owner tried to help her dog. One guy is beating the pit with two by four hammer swings, the other is stabbing it with his screwdriver. The dog does not let go. So knowing a little about handling catch dogs, I tried to use the screw driver as a break stick. He released once and latched back on. So idiot that I am, I drove the screw driver into the pit's upper mouth with all my strength, lifting the dog by the roof of his mouth and broke free without attacking, thank god. 

The poodle died later that day. Her owner had a bad injury to her arm. The pit was not aggressive after releasing, actually seemed quite proud of himself. So yes, it can be incredibly hard to get a catch dog to release if it is doing his terrible thing and the owner is not present.

SMH 

I've been around catch dogs (which is the hereditary problem, btw) for 20 years. I've been to a couple pitbull fights as a teen (run by the then local sheriff, btw). I am not for breed bans, and I understand this "mostly" as a population/idiot owner problem with pitties. They are everywhere in big big numbers -- the dogs and the idiots.

I didn't want to tell this story here, but about 5 months ago, I was walking to the convenience store and heard loud terrified screaming up the street. I started to run and two much younger men closer to the scene came out of a backyard running ahead of me. One had a two by four. The other a large screw driver. A pit who was a friend to all in the neighborhood had latched onto a poodle's throat and was rag dolling it as the owner tried to help her dog. One guy is beating the pit with two by four hammer swings, the other is stabbing it with his screwdriver. The dog does not let go. So knowing a little about handling catch dogs, I tried to use the screw driver as a break stick. He released once and latched back on. So idiot that I am, I drove the screw driver into the pit's upper mouth with all my strength, lifting the dog by the roof of his mouth and broke free without attacking, thank god. 

The poodle died later that day. Her owner had a bad injury to her arm. The pit was not aggressive after releasing, actually seemed quite proud of himself. So yes, it can be incredibly hard to get a catch dog to release if it is doing his terrible thing and the owner is not present.
Good news, I think I spotted your problem. 

Good news, I think I spotted your problem. 
A pit who was a friend to all in the neighborhood
100% agree with you here. Fwiw, it wasn't my neighborhood. But neighbors at the scene were talking about what a sweet dog the pit was. The cops who arrived were petting the thing. This has been the most troubling part of the news cycle for several years. Apparently good dogs with apparently good owners seem to have led the headlines. I think we need oppressive regulations for all catch dog owners, myself included, and I won't own another. I agree to outlawing backyard breeding. But the over-population makes enforcement a problem. 

Yup. funny enough i say that most of the time i am in this thread too when i see all the posts regarding illogical fear.

Reminds me of people scared of Coronavirus and SARS, yet refuse to get a flu shot because the flu is nothing to worry about

Yup. funny enough i say that most of the time i am in this thread too when i see all the posts regarding illogical fear.

Reminds me of people scared of Coronavirus and SARS, yet refuse to get a flu shot because the flu is nothing to worry about
Uh, yeah.  That’s exactly what’s happening in here.

If only the adults had kept an eye on the d...oh wait. 

“A 25-year-old man has died from dog bites following a weekend pit bull attack that injured four of the dog’s owners and prompted police to kill the dog inside their home in southwest suburban Plainfield.

Devin J. White, of Plainfield, died Monday from severe dog bites to his arms, Plainfield police said in a statement.“

"sorry family, I can't hang out with you again tonight.  I need to google and cry on the internet about a dog for the 1000th time" 

That's the great thing about spending an exorbitant amount of time on the internet though.  Can't get bit by a dog if you never do anything except sit in an office chair.

:no:  

I just can’t figure people out. There’s not a chance in hell my wife and I ever leave our 5 year old at someone’s house with a pit bull. Never ever. 

So sad, people are such a mess, they can’t stay out of their own damn way. 
No young child should be left unattended with any type of dog.   Even though they may be friendly they are animals. Problem today is many pet owners treat their dogs like humans and believe the dog has the same though process and that could not be farther from the truth.

tjnc09 said:
"sorry family, I can't hang out with you again tonight.  I need to google and cry on the internet about a dog for the 1000th time" 
“Sorry family, I can’t hang out with you again tonight.  I have to google and cry on the internet about people picking on killer dogs for the 1000th time.”

I'm only responding because I recently learned this from when I was taking my two dogs to training, and it was something I was pretty ignorant of, even having grown up with dogs my entire life, and am making no assumptions about your knowledge/ability of working with dogs.  The trainer emphasized how it's important not to yell/scold the dog for growling, it's their way of communicating that they're unhappy/angry at the situation.  By scolding a dog for growling, instead of treating the underlying issue, you repress the only warning that the dog may be giving that it's about to take matters into its own hands (mouth?), and is what actually leads to these reports that "the dog was so nice, it hasn't growled or barked at anyone before it attacked so and so".  

No young child should be left unattended with any type of dog.   Even though they may be friendly they are animals. Problem today is many pet owners treat their dogs like humans and believe the dog has the same though process and that could not be farther from the truth.
This is just silly. A 5 year old can be left alone with plenty of dogs. 

ETA: Should add that I mean in the context of leaving a 5 year old alone, like going to the bathroom, or to go get your clothes out of the dryer. Not arguing that you can go to the movies and leave little jonny home with fido. That should go without saying but...

I'm only responding because I recently learned this from when I was taking my two dogs to training, and it was something I was pretty ignorant of, even having grown up with dogs my entire life, and am making no assumptions about your knowledge/ability of working with dogs.  The trainer emphasized how it's important not to yell/scold the dog for growling, it's their way of communicating that they're unhappy/angry at the situation.  By scolding a dog for growling, instead of treating the underlying issue, you repress the only warning that the dog may be giving that it's about to take matters into its own hands (mouth?), and is what actually leads to these reports that "the dog was so nice, it hasn't growled or barked at anyone before it attacked so and so".  
hmm, interesting and thanks. it was one of those 2 or 3 AM things when they woke me out of my sleep so it was reflexive and non-thought out. good to know this though. luckily my dog is 11 years old and we trained her well when we got her as a pup. but good to hear that from a trainer

hmm, interesting and thanks. it was one of those 2 or 3 AM things when they woke me out of my sleep so it was reflexive and non-thought out. good to know this though. luckily my dog is 11 years old and we trained her well when we got her as a pup. but good to hear that from a trainer
Yup, I was in the same boat.  Growing up my parents had always yelled at the dogs for growling, especially if someone new came over the dogs didn't know, etc.  And so I had just assumed that to be the case until recently with this particular trainer.  Anyhow, found it interesting and figured I'd share.

"sorry family, I can't hang out with you again tonight or any other night because I am dead from a pit bull attack."
that will most likely be a heart attack from how I see these people live their life

"sorry family, I can't hang out with you again tonight or any other night because I am dead from a pit bull attack."
that will most likely be a heart attack from how I see the same people live their life

Edited just now by tjnc09
the only thing i can conclude is that anyone who would take this topic so seriously and get so personal so fast is in fact a pitbull so i salute you for learning to type and being articulate even if you are really mean most of the time take that to the bank dogmigo 

Users who are viewing this thread