What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

iPad (1 Viewer)

or wait for the iPad to have a front facing camera.
After experiencing my iPad for a week now, I can't imagine I'd want to even try to take a picture with this thing. Would just seem awkward...imagine taking a picture with a picture frame cuz that's what it would be like. Keep the picture taking to the smaller cell phones and digital cameras of the world and then just transfer them to the iPad as needed IMO.
Front-facing camera would be for video calling, not picture taking.
:confused: If I'm going to spend the extra money for an iPad then being able to do video calls like Skype would be huge. I suppose the question will be, will Apple allow you to video chat with someone that isn't also using an Apple device? Would I even be able to video chat with my brother if he was using a Windows PC?

After experiencing my iPad for a week now, I can't imagine I'd want to even try to take a picture with this thing. Would just seem awkward...imagine taking a picture with a picture frame cuz that's what it would be like. Keep the picture taking to the smaller cell phones and digital cameras of the world and then just transfer them to the iPad as needed IMO.
:confused: If I'm going to spend the extra money for an iPad then being able to do video calls like Skype would be huge. I suppose the question will be, will Apple allow you to video chat with someone that isn't also using an Apple device? Would I even be able to video chat with my brother if he was using a Windows PC?
I would assume so - I can video chat on my Imac with other platforms

I would assume so - I can video chat on my Imac with other platforms
What about from the iPhone 4? It seems that would be the basis for video chat on the iPad

Even then, it's hard to see much value in an embedded camera. You'd presumbaly use the thing by sitting it down, so a video camera that connects to the IPad dock makes just as much sense. NOTE: I fully expect the IPad 2.0 to have an embedded camera, but I don't think it will be very useful.

Even then, it's hard to see much value in an embedded camera. You'd presumbaly use the thing by sitting it down, so a video camera that connects to the IPad dock makes just as much sense. NOTE: I fully expect the IPad 2.0 to have an embedded camera, but I don't think it will be very useful.
It depends on the quality of the camera. If it has a high Megapixel count then they could use software to help track the subject like some current webcams do.

What about from the iPhone 4? It seems that would be the basis for video chat on the iPad
Currently FaceTime (the video calling service on the iPhone 4) can only be used with other iPhones. Apple has stated their intention of making FaceTime an open standard so it's clear Apple is hoping developers integrate FaceTime into other devices as well.Video chat on the Mac is run through iChat on OSX, which is built on the AIM platform. This easily works Mac to PC, but I'm fairly certain that FaceTime is strictly currently for mobile devices. Mobile to desktop video may be possible through Skype, but I don't know for sure. Haven't played with Skype.

It depends on the quality of the camera. If it has a high Megapixel count then they could use software to help track the subject like some current webcams do.
The front camera on the iPhone 4 is only VGA quality (640x480), which is less than 0.5 mega pixels. The purpose of it is strictly for video chat / web images, so a high mega-pixel count is counter-productive for bandwidth issues. If the iPad includes a front camera, it would be similarly low res. Apple is moving to make video calling work over 3G networks as well as wifi, so a lower resolution will be necessary.

My point is that the chief virtue of Facetime on an Iphone is portability. You can hold it in one hand. Nobody would want to do that with an IPad. It's too bulky for that. So why embed it? Forget what I said about using the dock. Why not just a bluetooth webcam?

My point is that the chief virtue of Facetime on an Iphone is portability. You can hold it in one hand. Nobody would want to do that with an IPad. It's too bulky for that. So why embed it? Forget what I said about using the dock. Why not just a bluetooth webcam?
Because that starts to lose the portability aspect. Part of the draw for the iPad would be that I could walk around the house anywhere and chat, I wouldn't want to drag a bluetooth webcam around or a bunch of different dongles.

Agency just came in to pitch for our lacrosse business yesterday. Instead of using powerpoint on a projector they handed everyone in the meeting an iPad to go through the presentation. :rant:

Nice touch.

I'm sure most of you already know this trick, but something I was shown the other day that was very helpful for me anyways.

When want to delete an app or move their placement around on your screen (without synching)

Just touch and hold down your finger on one of the apps...eventually they blur a little bit, start to shake and a small "x" appears in the top left hand corner of each indiv. app.

Just hit the "x" for the ones you want to delete. To re-organize placement just move them around with your finger.

Are there any other little tricks like this that I should know?

Is there any way to delete the small handful of apps that come standard when you first purchase the iPad or are those non-deletable?

Last edited by a moderator:
Because Microsoft is actually a better company then people give it credit for. ANd, IMO, they are about 2 years away from earning "underdog" status against Google/Android and APple and becoming "cool" in the consumer space.
Microsoft will never be "cool" in the consumer space. It's not about being underdog, it's about having cutting edge products that appeal to consumers (read: youth). Microsoft has lagged in their entire history. Their corporate model has never been one of innovation, but rather to saturate the market with an inferior product and cling to it as if everything is super.Gates can be given credit for getting them to the point where they were the hated monopoly, but after ceding the reins to Ballmer, the company has been in a slow dive.

Chart doesn't lie: link

Even IBM has outperformed them in the past decade.

Their corporate model has never been one of innovation, but rather to saturate the market with an inferior product and cling to it as if everything is sup
er.I realize you didn't mean it this way, but MS is in the position it is in primarily because Gates/Allen were as visionary and innovative as they were.Re: the Chart you posted. A good point, and a fair one. But there are caveats. For starters, Ballmer took over right as the Anti-trust lawsuit was in full swing. HE also oversaw the failed launch of Vista, which was a product that Gates had a huge hand in. Finally, while MS's stock price has been middling, their cash position has improved substantially (IIRC) in Ballmer's tenure. My point is that the stock price doesn't tell the tale. They sell TEN copies of Win7 every second. Think about that scale....RIDICULOUS. Finally, while you are correct that Apple is "young" and "cool" now as they have been since the iPod came out, I know a lot of young developer types (not graphics guys but application guys) who swear by Windows. The consumer space may stay Apple's domain for a while, but the Enterprise software space is 4x the size of the entire online Ad market (where Google lives), and that is a space that Windows users dominate. I know I said they would move to "underdog" status and I stand by that. It may not translate to winning the consumer space (even though they already do win the consumer space, just not the "Cool" space) in the way of making Dell's and HP's the preferred choice in young people. But the integration of their products is so strong that I think there will be more and more backlash from young users that try new sotware technologies and say, "this sucks, I'll just go back to *name of MS product*..."Good discussion GBMP.

Their corporate model has never been one of innovation, but rather to saturate the market with an inferior product and cling to it as if everything is sup
er.I realize you didn't mean it this way, but MS is in the position it is in primarily because Gates/Allen were as visionary and innovative as they were.Re: the Chart you posted. A good point, and a fair one. But there are caveats. For starters, Ballmer took over right as the Anti-trust lawsuit was in full swing. HE also oversaw the failed launch of Vista, which was a product that Gates had a huge hand in. Finally, while MS's stock price has been middling, their cash position has improved substantially (IIRC) in Ballmer's tenure. My point is that the stock price doesn't tell the tale. They sell TEN copies of Win7 every second. Think about that scale....RIDICULOUS. Finally, while you are correct that Apple is "young" and "cool" now as they have been since the iPod came out, I know a lot of young developer types (not graphics guys but application guys) who swear by Windows. The consumer space may stay Apple's domain for a while, but the Enterprise software space is 4x the size of the entire online Ad market (where Google lives), and that is a space that Windows users dominate. I know I said they would move to "underdog" status and I stand by that. It may not translate to winning the consumer space (even though they already do win the consumer space, just not the "Cool" space) in the way of making Dell's and HP's the preferred choice in young people. But the integration of their products is so strong that I think there will be more and more backlash from young users that try new sotware technologies and say, "this sucks, I'll just go back to *name of MS product*..."Good discussion GBMP.
Ballmer's had a decade to show that he "gets it." We're still waiting.

Because Microsoft is actually a better company then people give it credit for. ANd, IMO, they are about 2 years away from earning "underdog" status against Google/Android and APple and becoming "cool" in the consumer space.
Microsoft will never be "cool" in the consumer space. It's not about being underdog, it's about having cutting edge products that appeal to consumers (read: youth). Microsoft has lagged in their entire history. Their corporate model has never been one of innovation, but rather to saturate the market with an inferior product and cling to it as if everything is super.Gates can be given credit for getting them to the point where they were the hated monopoly, but after ceding the reins to Ballmer, the company has been in a slow dive.

Chart doesn't lie: link

Even IBM has outperformed them in the past decade.
Tech stocks have reacted to coolness factor of the consumer space as opposed to the revenue of the enterprise space. Microsoft blew away expectations in Q4 with over $16 billion in revenue. Profits were up 48% and the market yawned. The earning numbers for Microsoft are through the roof year in and year out. Certainty the evil empire needs to change its strategy to either1) Act more like a consumer tech company like Apple and put out sexy consumer products

2) Stop acting like a tech stock and behave like the blue chip it is

Windows Phone 7 will be a success as will XBox, but it wont be enough to move the stock.

I'll agree with you, Ballmer going would probably be a good thing for MSFT.

Ummmm, No.

Google/Android and Apple are popular because they put out good products. Microsoft puts out garbage.
Lets be real, outside of search, Googles record is mixed at best.

Windows 7 is probably their best offering yet, but it's no OS X.

Bing? :deadbanana:

Just now turing a profit with XBOX? Seriously?

I'll hand it to the guy: he sure knows when he's down. And he can sweat like no other.

I was listening to an analyst recently who was discussing how the market is reacting to Apple. His take was the tech market is looking ahead 10+ years and until Microsoft can show it can play successfully in the phone and tablet markets, there is question to the long term success of MSFT. In fact, he said the MSFT should be valued at $30 (It is currently ~$25) and he said the sole cause is the iPad.

I promise I'm not baiting you. I really am interested in this discussion because I don't deny that APple has all the attnetion right now. That said, I think that people overlook MS, which is working to their advantage. To the quote above, what are your feelings on Win7 and XBox? Regarding the former, I think it has been as strong/successful of a product intro on the heels of a disaster (Vista) as anyone could have hoped for. And regarding the latter, this is absolutely a behemoth, yes? 42 Million units sold with an available subscription service and marketplace is no joke.

Windows 7 is probably their best offering yet, but it's no OS X.Bing? :deadbanana:Just now turing a profit with XBOX? Seriously?I'll hand it to the guy: he sure knows when he's down. And he can sweat like no other.
Bing is adding marketshare and should take over Yahoo in the next 18 months. Plus Google is starting to "steal" Bing ideas, which points to MS being a bit more innovative then given credit for.

I promise I'm not baiting you. I really am interested in this discussion because I don't deny that APple has all the attnetion right now. That said, I think that people overlook MS, which is working to their advantage. To the quote above, what are your feelings on Win7 and XBox? Regarding the former, I think it has been as strong/successful of a product intro on the heels of a disaster (Vista) as anyone could have hoped for. And regarding the latter, this is absolutely a behemoth, yes? 42 Million units sold with an available subscription service and marketplace is no joke.
Why would I think you're baiting me?Apple's had the attention since the advent of the iPod. It's not like this is a six month attention grab. They're playing for keeps.No one with the market penetration of Microsoft will ever be overlooked. The only reason Microsoft has been able to tread water for the last ten years is due to all over the work Gates did to impregnate Microsoft into the fabric of our electronic culture. Most companies couldn't make the missteps that Microsoft has made with Vista, XBOX, Bing, Zune, etc. and still survive. They've not only made bad decisions and misread the market, they've made epically bad decisions.We could have had this discussion ten years ago and I'd be getting the same defenses of Microsoft and how well positioned they are. At what point do we acknowledge that Ballmer has done just about everything in his power to ruin this company? As you say, some of these things he walked into, but ten years is a very long time to assess what he's capable of and judge his vision. It sucks. He's been wrong with his decisions behind the scenes and he's been very wrong publicly bashing technology like the iPhone. He's a weak CEO with no public appeal and comes off looking like a hanger-on and bitter man than any kind of innovator or captain of the ship.Microsoft has about eight dozen lives given what they did in the late 70s through early 90s, but they couldn't have a worse CEO. It's simply not possible.

Why would I think you're baiting me?
:shrug: Some people get touchy when folks want to discuss Apple, even if they are trying to have a legit conversation.I am not sure where I fall on this with regard to Ballmer. On the one hand, I don't think some of the mis-steps you mentioned are as bad as they seem. The XBox has been a very successful platform for consumer penetration and the Win7 launch has been phenomenal on the heels of Vista. But you are right that a case can easily be made that someone else's leadership would have delivered even better results. My bigger concern is missed opportunities they have had. I realize MS isn't in the M/A space but there have been some crazy opportunities they have missed.I was very vocal on my blog (that 2 people read) that MS shouold have bought RIM three weeks ago when it was trading at 49/share. The RIM patents and enterprise user base, if melded correctly with MS's mobile aspirations would have made WinMo7 THE player in the most profitable mobile sector their is overnight. Of course Ballmer didn't do it.Anyway, it will be interesting to see if anyone erodes MS's market share in the next decade. I just don't see it happening, even with things moving to the cloud.

The only reason Microsoft has been able to tread water for the last ten years is due to all over the work Gates did to impregnate Microsoft into the fabric of our electronic culture. Most companies couldn't make the missteps that Microsoft has made with Vista, XBOX, Bing, Zune, etc. and still survive.
:shrug: Microsoft was Gates. Gates is no longer really even involved much in the company.

Ummmm, No.

Google/Android and Apple are popular because they put out good products. Microsoft puts out garbage.
Lets be real, outside of search, Googles record is mixed at best.
This is true of all three though....if we are talking about records, they've all had issues.

Going on 2 weeks of ownership, and still loving the device. In a perfect world this is what I'd change:

- a bigger/ dedicated right hand up/down scrolling bar. The black bezel frame itself being a scrolling bar would be a perfect solution. Too many times while touching the screen trying to scroll I inadvertently hit a picture and it redirects me, or I drag a finger and the "copy" feature pops up.

- believe someone said this is soon coming with a system upgrade, but would love to multi-task....listen to Pandora radio app while surfing the web for example. At this point have to stop one while firing up the other.

- fingerprints on the screen can get pretty annoying.

- drop the weight by a pound or two. Not a huge deal, but when I put it in my daily work bag I do notice a weight difference.

- another minor gripe, but a longer battery life would be nice. I'm recharging daily, but would be great if it could be an every other day occurrence.

Other than these things for me it's pretty flawless.

. Wife is wanting one, and her company would reimburse the expense. I have read a ton of these pages and I still don't see the upside over a laptop. Guess I will have to just try it out.

$$$

HBO to Deliver Streaming Video to iPad

Bloomberg reports on the HBO's reluctance to license their shows to Netflix for online streaming, but reveals that iPad owners will still be able to access HBO content in the near future.

Time Warner Inc.'s pay-television channel, home to shows including the "The Sopranos" and "True Blood," holds cable and Internet rights to films from Warner Bros., Twentieth Century Fox and Universal Pictures and is unlikely to make a deal with Netflix, HBO Co-President Eric Kessler said.

Instead, HBO plans on making its shows and movies available online through its own HBO Go service. HBO Go is presently a streaming web service that offers 800 hours of HBO TV and Movie content to current subscribers at no additional cost. HBO Go will become available in the next 6 months for the Apple iPad and other mobile devices. HBO Go was described by some as a Netflix competitor when it launched in February.

Here's an AWESOME iPad FF drafting app: Fantasy Football Cheet Sheet '10.

This app is pretty handy and the most functional I've seen for the iPad yet:

Here is a screenshot from my iPad

- it's a very fast and snappy app.

- create your own Tiers & Rankings.

- enter your league's scoring.

- cross off players as they're drafted. Assign to either "other team" or "my team"

- flag players as part of your wish list.

- when the player is highlighted you can see info like health, news from Rotowire, full schedule, stats, ADP and some more stuff I can't think of off the top of my head.

- strength of schedule by week.

iPad owners....will there be an app for Sunday ticket?
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/spor...l_online_mobileEvery game, Every Sunday. Anywhere you go.

Just when you thought your football experience couldn't get any better, DIRECTV takes it to another level. Add NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ To-Go to your NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ subscription and you can watch every game every Sunday no matter where you are — on your smartphone, iPad or your computer. You'll never miss a game, even when you're nowhere near a TV^!

iPad owners....will there be an app for Sunday ticket?
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/spor...l_online_mobileEvery game, Every Sunday. Anywhere you go.

Just when you thought your football experience couldn't get any better, DIRECTV takes it to another level. Add NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ To-Go to your NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ subscription and you can watch every game every Sunday no matter where you are — on your smartphone, iPad or your computer. You'll never miss a game, even when you're nowhere near a TV^!
Yeah I realize there is an iPhone app, wanted to know if there was going to be a specific iPad iteration.

So wifey's iPad suddenly stopped receiving Wi-Fi signal unless we're actually in the room with the wireless router. I updated to iOS 3.2.2, but it didn't help. Apple's recommendation is to update the firmware on my router - which I've never done before. It's frustrating b/c my netbook has never had a problem connecting to my wireless network, so I know it's not a router problem. :loco: ;) :thumbdown:

With indian manufacturers pushing into "$50 Android touchscreen tablet" territory I see the iPads to come under tremendous pricing pressure in the next 6 to 12 months... dropping in price by as much as half.

With indian manufacturers pushing into "$50 Android touchscreen tablet" territory I see the iPads to come under tremendous pricing pressure in the next 6 to 12 months... dropping in price by as much as half.
I think the 16g wifi version will drop to within 10% of the galaxy tab.

I think the 16g wifi version will drop to within 10% of the galaxy tab.
Could be. IMO we'll see at least a $50/unit drop across the board by the holidays. Apple has also shown a tendency to scale back offerings down the ladder to maintain price points. EG:Current 499/16 - 599/32 - 699/64iPad 4G/2/2011: 499/32 - 599/64Depending on the pressure they feel from android tablets that are comparably equipped, we could even see $50 or so off those prices. Apple has never shown a desire to degrade thier brand by competing with bottom of the barrel equipment (eg $299 laptops), and most manufacturers (it would seem) would want to take advantage of the cush margins Apple has built for themselves in this segment. We'll see how it shakes out, though.

Users who are viewing this thread