What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

iPad (2 Viewers)

GD I'm getting old. WTF does that even mean?Edit: Oh. I get it now.
It's designed to connect your camera to your ipad to download images via SD card or USB cable (like the one you use to connect your camera to your computer). However, in effect it gives you a USB port on the iPad. Not the best option as it'd be rather flimsy with the adapter then a data stick plugged into it... but it's a solution. Agreed that tethering is the best way to go. I use tether (application) with my blackberry and can connect to any device via USB, wireless, or Bluetooth and use my phone's data plan. Do it with my Macbook Pro all the time.
So using this device you'd be able to do the same thing with the iPad, or no?

Foxconn leaked that it is building b/w 300,000 and 500,000 iPad two units for shipment within the next 100 days. This makes a lot of sense, actually, as it fits the expected window.

My personal, unfounded guess is that the iPad2 is going to include a front facing camera and a 128G HD option (they may even ditch the 16). I also wouldn't be surprised to see a version that has a free amount of data per month (like the Chrome netbook is getting) as ATT tries to pacify Apple.

I had my blackberry tethered but in my office at work my blackberry signal is crappy but a USB key works great, don't know why, VZW doesn't know why but that's how it is. So it looks like I can get this camera connection kit and use the USB key I have to get internet everywhere.

Thanks guys, i'll be picking up an ipad ASAP

I played with an IPAD this past weekend and while is a great device I am not sure what I would do with it considering I have a Droid X and a laptop already. Any ideas on why I would need one of these?

I got the Slingbox app and it gets a thumbs up from me.

Great picture quality. the channel guide is great feature. It's nice having a TV anywhere you go.

check out the splash top remote app. Its very good. Lets you remote to your PC essentially giving me a win7 touchscreen interface and the ability to play flash, access all files or anything else I can do on my pc.

So I just bought this. When I type facebook into the app store, it just comes up with the iphone version.

What gives?

So I just bought this. When I type facebook into the app store, it just comes up with the iphone version. What gives?
They don't have an iPad specific app for facebook. You don't really need one since you have a better view on your web browser. You can still use the iPhone app.There is an interesting way to look at facebook on the iPad though, that is Flipboard (free), which allows you to look at facebook like a magazine, and goes to the website when you dig. You also can hit twitter, as well as a bunch of other magazines.

I played with an IPAD this past weekend and while is a great device I am not sure what I would do with it considering I have a Droid X and a laptop already. Any ideas on why I would need one of these?
:wall: It seems to me its just like having a bigger droid? :thumbup:

So I just bought this. When I type facebook into the app store, it just comes up with the iphone version. What gives?
They don't have an iPad specific app for facebook. You don't really need one since you have a better view on your web browser. You can still use the iPhone app.There is an interesting way to look at facebook on the iPad though, that is Flipboard (free), which allows you to look at facebook like a magazine, and goes to the website when you dig. You also can hit twitter, as well as a bunch of other magazines.
Thanks.Flipboard is niiiiiice.

:lmao: Was putting iPad on my list of things I want this year. Should I reconsider or is iPad2 going to be very similar to the version out now?
I would expect significant improvements in resolution (they can easily get 1080p using retina in 9.7 inches) and probably dual processor, rumors of carbon fiber housing.
I've read they wont do retina display, that the technology isnt there, is that true?Things rumored to improve:

cameras

thickness

facetime

better wifi

lighter casing

might go cdma

more storage

faster processor

make it standard with 3g like the samsung

I don't think ipad2 comes out before april, but thats just my hunch. would love feb, but thats because im holding out for 2.

Yea, I thought about holding out for version two. But I got a gift card, and dammit I just wanted the thing now. Hope I don't get burned.

I got the Slingbox app and it gets a thumbs up from me. Great picture quality. the channel guide is great feature. It's nice having a TV anywhere you go.
yep. I have had a slingbox since the first one came out. I used it with an old Windows mobile phone. The nice thing about Sling is it allows you use your TV/DVR with out limitations. Very nice product.

For my iPhone, I purchased an otter box to protect it from my multiple drops.

What would you guys recommend for the ipad? Do you use one?

With the new software upgrade looks like Safari is now the better web browser over Atomic Web.

Safari looks to have improved their bookmark feature and also allows to minimize/maximize windows.

Just got a 16GB wifi version for free. What case/stand does everyone recommend? Any must have apps? I am thinking about buying the cable so I can plug into my TV for HD video, does anyone have any experience with that?

Just got a 16GB wifi version for free. What case/stand does everyone recommend? Any must have apps? I am thinking about buying the cable so I can plug into my TV for HD video, does anyone have any experience with that?
I have this case/stand/ I like it, but I paid half that amount for it.Must have apps:

Pandora

Slacker

Pulse

Netflix

CBS Sports Football

I like the Nook book reader software.

Woo hoo! Wife had one under the tree for me. Posting from it now. She even got me the 32 gig when I had hinted all I would need was the 16. Time to go back through this thread and get what needs getting.

Woo hoo! Wife had one under the tree for me. Posting from it now. She even got me the 32 gig when I had hinted all I would need was the 16. Time to go back through this thread and get what needs getting.
Congrats, Abe. My wife, on the other hand, didn't get the hint... :thumbup:

goonsquad said:
Abraham said:
Congrats, Abe. My wife, on the other hand, didn't get the hint... :(
:goodposting:Now I am looking to go buy one....trying to see if there are any local deals, but I am not finding anything.

I am a little surprised that there is no camera on here. For some reason I thought there was a regular camera on here. Not that Im missing it, but it would have been nice to have.

I also wish there were a good gmail app, but I understand why there isn't obviously.

I can type almost as quickly on this as I can on a computer, and much better then on my phone. I understand that I wouldn't want to type a novel in here, but I'm not sure I agree with oat and company that posting here and typing emails and stuff is cumbersome.

I don't have a game system so madden and NBA live are good enought for me. Got both for a dollar.

Really really impressed with the simplicity of use. It didn't eve come with a manual, which I thought was awesome. (same with the iPhone I got my wife)

One thing that I don't like is that I have 40gigs of music on iTunes on my pc so when I hooked it up, the software randomly picked about 4g to move to the iPad. Any idea how I can clear the random stuff off and reload it with songs I like?

I am a little surprised that there is no camera on here. For some reason I thought there was a regular camera on here. Not that Im missing it, but it would have been nice to have.

I also wish there were a good gmail app, but I understand why there isn't obviously.

I can type almost as quickly on this as I can on a computer, and much better then on my phone. I understand that I wouldn't want to type a novel in here, but I'm not sure I agree with oat and company that posting here and typing emails and stuff is cumbersome.

I don't have a game system so madden and NBA live are good enought for me. Got both for a dollar.

Really really impressed with the simplicity of use. It didn't eve come with a manual, which I thought was awesome. (same with the iPhone I got my wife)

One thing that I don't like is that I have 40gigs of music on iTunes on my pc so when I hooked it up, the software randomly picked about 4g to move to the iPad. Any idea how I can clear the random stuff off and reload it with songs I like?
Not sure I know the exact answer to this, but I set up my ipad to only sync with "my top rated" folder. I know you can set the sync to specific folders/playlists/artists/albums, etc. I don't know if that will erase what you already have on your ipad though.

In iTunes, click the iPad from the left column and then select the Music tab. Choose the option for syncing 'Selected playlists, artists... etc', and then unclick 'Automatically Fill Free Space With Music'. Now choose what you want on the iPad from the list below and the rest will be cleared when you sync.

Added gmail to the desktop and the interface is great. Also added weathebug before my road trip to the mountains tomorrow.

Okay, I'm using Perfect browser. Is it possible to get to the home screen and change settings without closing out the browser and the current page I'm on? Example: I'm surfing and I'm on page. I have to do a bit of typing so I decide I want to turn Bluetooth on and connect my keyboard. I hit the button to get to the desktop but when I hit my browser again it opens up fresh. It's very annoying.

Anyone got any tips here?

Waiting to play around with the Galaxy Tab to see how the size is. I want something that can fully replace browsing the web and checking emails... obviously the iPad can't do flash with hampers the former. We already own Macbooks and iPhones so I'm looking for something different and definitely Android based.

My only hangup is price right now, I think Samsung priced themselves out of the market on this device.

Waiting to get more details on Motorola's offering as well... Stingray/Motopad.
Xoom announced at CES.Motorola Xoom

Engadget

Finally broke down and bought an IPad this weekend. I really like it but have a baby coming very soon and a dog that likes to jump so I dont want it to get damaged.

I was looking at the Otterbox Defender (this guy here) and it seems like a pretty sturdy unit, anyone used this or anything similar?

Looking for something thats durable in case it gets knocked out of my hand, but dont want something that makes it weigh more than my laptop either.

Last edited by a moderator:
follow up on the resolution from Tom's Hardware 1.24.11

A separate report released on Friday claimed that the iPad 2 will feature a resolution of 2048 x 1536. The news was quickly shot down by IDC research manager Tom Mainelli who said the report was a bit premature. "Our sources say Apple has requested that manufacturers begin work on displays with that resolution for the iPad 3," he told PC World in an email. "I don't believe anybody is ready to produce that resolution in volumes at this point. And Apple is going to require huge volumes for the iPad 2."IDC predicts that tablet shipments will grow from around 17 million units in 2010 to 44.6 million units in 2011. Apple's current iPad tablet made up 90-percent of the tablet volume in Q3 2010 alone. "We expect Apple to continue to own the lion's share of that market in 2011," Mainelli wrote.In addition to the iPad 2 news, the Commercial Times said that Apple partners are expected to enter "volume production" of the 5th-generation iPhone this May. This backs up speculation that Apple plans to announce and make available the next iPhone model in June, the month Apple typically refreshes the device each year.

dumb question

can you DL photos from a digital camera and videos from a flip cam to the iPad?

going on vacation and usually bring the laptop to back up the photos and clear up space on the flip. I don't feel like dragging that around this time and thought the iPad was a better, lighter option.

Was planing on buying the ipad anyway, but was wondering if this was something I could do?

dumb question

can you DL photos from a digital camera and videos from a flip cam to the iPad?

going on vacation and usually bring the laptop to back up the photos and clear up space on the flip. I don't feel like dragging that around this time and thought the iPad was a better, lighter option.

Was planing on buying the ipad anyway, but was wondering if this was something I could do?
Yes, but you'll need to pick up an iPad connection kit. I use mine for the same thing and it works great. I'd wait for the iPad 2 though. The flash connection might be built in.

iPad 2 Coming next week?

Will the iPad 2 be presented next week? Our sources from the accessories business told us Apple is planning an event next week where they're going to showcase the iPad 2 as well.

A release date between 2nd and 9th April seems quite likely, sources - not only ours - pointed to a release in early April. The only question is: When will the iPad 2 be presented? One manufacturer of iPad accessoires now told us Apple is planning on holding an event next week.

They weren't sure about the circumstances, but were already able to tell us more about their knowledge of the features: The iPad 2 is going to be based on the Apple A5 processor, a completely new processor that is going to to replace the Apple A4 soon. The form factor of the case will change, to a more iPod touch 4G-ish look, comparable to the first mockups we've seen already.

Even the speaker grill on the back of the device is going to become true (we still hope this is not the case, but who knows…). Instead of a micro USB port the iPad 2 will be equipped with a Mini DisplayPort, something that's possible in case Apple will go for a new processor basis in the iPad 2.

Our guess is Apple will present the iPad 2 as a "One more thing" during a special iOS 4.3 developer event next week. iOS 4.3 is still a beta, Apple released the third beta on Tuesday. It still contains critical bugs, but might be released soon as soon as all the bugs are fixed. In his review of the Verizon iPhone 4 David Pogue mentioned 13th February as a likely release date of iOS 4.3 for AT&T iPhones, which will contain the touted Personal Hotspot feature. 13th February is a Sunday - how likely is it that this date is true? Pogues statement was corrected to "soon" at some point, but it's not completely unlikely that iOS 4.3 is being released soon.

This is somewhat confirmed by the statements Eddy Cue gave during the presentation of "The Daily" yesterday: He mentioned that the in-app subscription feature is going to be available to other developers/magazines soon, Apple is planning on their own event to show off the feature. How about having the iPad 2 as a little add-on during that event?

Reuters mentioned that the first prototypes already circulated yesterday during the press showcase of "The Daily" - they only weren't clever enough to take pictures of the mentioned prototype.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread