What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tim Tebow - 8.17.21 Waived By Jacksonville (3 Viewers)

Sure. Without The Tebow winning those games, Fox would have had a disasterous year. One foot closer out the door. Most everyone knows Fox sucks. Via the 'tebow magic', The Tebow has helped keep the same guy that ConfusedRealist ( a Broncos fan from what I gather) would like removed.Your lesson is complete. No charge.
Let me get this straight. You are criticizing a guy/coach who took over a CRAPY team, that was predicted to win maybe 4 or 5 games and takes them to the playoffs, wins the division and wins a playoff game (and the season isn't over yet)?Keep those excellent analytical posts rolling guy. :thumbup:

Fox's coaching career to date...

Career record 73-71-0 (Regular Season)

6-3 (Postseason)

79-74-0 (Overall)

I really am not a huge fan of Fox as an overall coach because of how conservative he can be. I think he does get a lot out of his players and is able to put together pretty good game plans for the most part. I think he has done an admirable job of the situation he inherited this year and how he has adapted to everything this season. He has made an effort to utilize Tebow's strenghts although a little too conservatively at times.

Tebow played poorly through that 3 game losing skid but the play calling and game plan did not help him out. That is the Fox I don't like when he goes ultra conservative. He needs to find a more consitent balance.

Mcdaniels (who made a mess in Denver) before Fox arrived forced Elway to hire a conservative coach. I stil think Mcdaniels is going to be a good coach down the road and part of his left over picks in Tebow/Thomas are looking promising. What Fox has done this year (even coming from someone like me who does not like him)has to be at least in the running for coach of the year.

(blows out) Screen passes work to counter blitzes and overly agressive D-lines. When teams rush the QB hard, that's when you hit them with draws and screens.

No one is rushing Tebow hard... They rush to keep him from scrambling up field, they rush to force him to run around, they don't pin their ears back and get after it. It's all been a 'mush-rush', since the SD game or so. Screen passes woild be eaten alive by DL who are not penetrating.

Fox has talked about this in the past when qurstioned.

Sure. Without The Tebow winning those games, Fox would have had a disasterous year. One foot closer out the door. Most everyone knows Fox sucks. Via the 'tebow magic', The Tebow has helped keep the same guy that ConfusedRealist ( a Broncos fan from what I gather) would like removed.Your lesson is complete. No charge.
Let me get this straight. You are criticizing a guy/coach who took over a CRAPY team, that was predicted to win maybe 4 or 5 games and takes them to the playoffs, wins the division and wins a playoff game (and the season isn't over yet)?Keep those excellent analytical posts rolling guy. :thumbup:
Dude, he sucks. 8-8 division winner, still crappy team, fluke wins.Now let me refresh your memory on the alternatives:Rick Dennison, offensive coordinator, Houston Texans Perry Fewell, New York Giants, defensive coordinator Dirk Koetter, Jacksonville Jaguars, offensive coordinator Eric Studesville, Denver Broncos interim head coach Lots of options there. The best they could get was Fox after the McDaniels disaster.

Last edited by a moderator:
'werdnoynek said:
'FavreCo said:
'ConfusedRealist said:
The people arguing about screen passes realize that is a non issue because it goes against John Fox's "tough guy" football mentality right? If you'd watched the games with Orton at QB, you would have noticed he simply does not like calling screen passes because he feels like they're "cheap and cheesy," despite the fact that was Moreno's best strength, Fox refused to utilize it no matter how many times Orton would get sacked.Also this forum should install some sort of ignore feature.
WTF! That's equivalent to Martz and TE use. Look where he is. No NFL coach that is worth a #### says we don't do that because it's not 'tough football'. I would love to see a link of Fox saying that.
i'm not sure why i'm doing this but... :goodposting: :lmao:
I'm glad we all agree Fox is a jackass at least. :thumbup:
Well, not all of us.

(blows out) Screen passes work to counter blitzes and overly agressive D-lines. When teams rush the QB hard, that's when you hit them with draws and screens.No one is rushing Tebow hard... They rush to keep him from scrambling up field, they rush to force him to run around, they don't pin their ears back and get after it. It's all been a 'mush-rush', since the SD game or so. Screen passes woild be eaten alive by DL who are not penetrating. Fox has talked about this in the past when qurstioned.
Why did he let Kyle Orton get destroyed for 4 games without running any screens? Why even have Knowshon Moreno on your team (and in the game for some stupid reason) if you're not going to run screens at all?

Fox's coaching career to date...Career record 73-71-0 (Regular Season)6-3 (Postseason)79-74-0 (Overall) I really am not a huge fan of Fox as an overall coach because of how conservative he can be. I think he does get a lot out of his players and is able to put together pretty good game plans for the most part. I think he has done an admirable job of the situation he inherited this year and how he has adapted to everything this season. He has made an effort to utilize Tebow's strenghts although a little too conservatively at times. Tebow played poorly through that 3 game losing skid but the play calling and game plan did not help him out. That is the Fox I don't like when he goes ultra conservative. He needs to find a more consitent balance. Mcdaniels (who made a mess in Denver) before Fox arrived forced Elway to hire a conservative coach. I stil think Mcdaniels is going to be a good coach down the road and part of his left over picks in Tebow/Thomas are looking promising. What Fox has done this year (even coming from someone like me who does not like him)has to be at least in the running for coach of the year.
The fascinating thing is Fox did this without ever having a better than middle of the road QB. Tebow might be better than middle of the road in 5 years if he's still a starter but the only games in that record are the 12 so far this year so 2011-2012 Tebow.Before the Tebow haters go crazy I don't care about what you read on an ESPN message board or what analyst X said that you find ridiculous, let's keep to the discussion in this thread instead of jumping to hyperbole.

(blows out) Screen passes work to counter blitzes and overly agressive D-lines. When teams rush the QB hard, that's when you hit them with draws and screens.No one is rushing Tebow hard... They rush to keep him from scrambling up field, they rush to force him to run around, they don't pin their ears back and get after it. It's all been a 'mush-rush', since the SD game or so. Screen passes woild be eaten alive by DL who are not penetrating. Fox has talked about this in the past when qurstioned.
Why did he let Kyle Orton get destroyed for 4 games without running any screens? Why even have Knowshon Moreno on your team (and in the game for some stupid reason) if you're not going to run screens at all?
pretty sure he did run screens w/ Knowshon and KO. I have no way to back that up though.ETA: one screen play that sticks in my mind was the tying TD vs MIA...that was a screen pass to the TE. Tebow rolled left and threw it back to Fells who was left alone with protection in front of him.

I know it's not a perfect metric but I can't find screen pass %.In 2010 the Broncos completed 77 of their 334 passes to RBs or about 23%. And in 2011 they completed 55 of their 217 passes to RBs or about 25%. So my guess is they're probably running as many screens per attempt as the previous regime. At least they're targeting RBs the same amount.

Don't have time to read 60 pages. --I doubt that

Are people in this thread actually arguing that Tim Tebow is an elite NFL QB? --No

Not that it would surprise me at all around here. --Who cares?

The Broncos will get destroyed this weekend. --Same as last weekend, right?

The people arguing about screen passes realize that is a non issue because it goes against John Fox's "tough guy" football mentality right? If you'd watched the games with Orton at QB, you would have noticed he simply does not like calling screen passes because he feels like they're "cheap and cheesy," despite the fact that was Moreno's best strength, Fox refused to utilize it no matter how many times Orton would get sacked.Also this forum should install some sort of ignore feature.
WTF! That's equivalent to Martz and TE use. Look where he is. No NFL coach that is worth a #### says we don't do that because it's not 'tough football'. I would love to see a link of Fox saying that.
I am pretty sure we do not. And we're still waiting on the link where Fox supposedly says that he hates calling screen passes because he feels they are cheap and cheesy. If he said it, bring it on. If not, and you are just making #### up, then shut it.

I am pretty sure we do not. And we're still waiting on the link where Fox supposedly says that he hates calling screen passes because he feels they are cheap and cheesy. If he said it, bring it on. If not, and you are just making #### up, then shut it.
I don't have a link, just years of watching that tool being left in the tool chest in Carolina along with utilizing the TE.

Dude, he sucks. 8-8 division winner, still crappy team, fluke wins.Now let me refresh your memory on the alternatives:Rick Dennison, offensive coordinator, Houston Texans Perry Fewell, New York Giants, defensive coordinator Dirk Koetter, Jacksonville Jaguars, offensive coordinator Eric Studesville, Denver Broncos interim head coach Lots of options there. The best they could get was Fox after the McDaniels disaster.
We will agree to disagree. What Fox has done with this below par Denver team is nothing short of amazing. He should get COTY IMHO.

How about this from ESPN - IMO, why you should cheer for him and stop cheeing against him

I've come to believe in Tim Tebow, but not for what he does on a football field, which is still three parts Dr. Jekyll and two parts Mr. Hyde.

No, I've come to believe in Tim Tebow for what he does off a football field, which is represent the best parts of us, the parts I want to be and so rarely am.

Who among us is this selfless?

Every week, Tebow picks out someone who is suffering, or who is dying, or who is injured, flies them and their families to the Broncos game, rents them a car, puts them up in a nice hotel, buys them dinner (usually at a Dave and Buster's), gets them and their families pregame passes, visits with them just before kickoff (!), gets them 30-yard line tickets down low, visits with them after the game (sometimes for an hour), has them walk him to his car, and sends them off with a basket of gifts.

Home or road, win or lose, hero or goat.

Remember last week, when the world was pulling its hair out in the hour after Tebow had stunned the Pittsburgh Steelers with an 80-yard OT touchdown pass to Demaryius Thomas in the playoffs? And Twitter was exploding with 9,420 tweets about Tebow per second? When an ESPN poll was naming him the most popular athlete in America?

Tebow was spending that hour talking to 16-year-old Bailey Knaub about her 73 surgeries so far and what TV shows she likes.

"Here he'd just played the game of his life," recalls Bailey's mother, Kathy, of Loveland, Colo., "and the first thing he does after his press conference is come find Bailey and ask, 'Did you get anything to eat?' He acted like what he'd just done wasn't anything, like it was all about Bailey."

More than that, Tebow kept corralling people into the room for Bailey to meet. Hey, Demaryius, come in here a minute. Hey, Mr. Elway. Hey, Coach Fox.

Even though sometimes-fatal Wegener's granulomatosis has left Bailey with only one lung, the attention took her breath away.

"It was the best day of my life," she emailed. "It was a bright star among very gloomy and difficult days. Tim Tebow gave me the greatest gift I could ever imagine. He gave me the strength for the future. I know now that I can face any obstacle placed in front of me. Tim taught me to never give up because at the end of the day, today might seem bleak but it can't rain forever and tomorrow is a new day, with new promises."

I read that email to Tebow and he was honestly floored.

"Why me? Why should I inspire her?" he said. "I just don't feel, I don't know, adequate. Really, hearing her story inspires me."

It's not just NFL defenses that get Tebowed. It's kids who will die soon. It's adults who can hardly stand. It's high school girls who don't know if they'll ever go to a prom.

For the game at Buffalo, it was Charlottesville, Va., blue-chip high school QB Jacob Rainey, who lost his leg after a freak tackle in a scrimmage. Tebow threw three interceptions in that Buffalo game and the Broncos were crushed, 40-14.

"He walked in and took a big sigh and said, 'Well, that didn't go as planned,'" remembers Rainey. "Where I'm from, people wonder how sincere and genuine he is. But I think he's the most genuine person I've ever met."

There's not an ounce of artifice or phoniness or Hollywood in this kid Tebow and I've looked everywhere for it.

Take 9-year-old Zac Taylor, a child who lives in constant pain. Immediately after Tebow shocked the Chicago Bears with a 13-10 comeback win, Tebow spent an hour with Zac and his family. At one point, Zac, who has 10 doctors, asked Tebow if he has a secret prayer for hospital visits. Tebow whispered it in his ear. And since Tebow still needed to be checked out by the Broncos' team doctor, he took Zac in with him, but only after they'd whispered it together.

And it's not always kids. Tom Driscoll, a 55-year-old who is dying of brain cancer at a hospice in Denver, was Tebow's guest for the Cincinnati game. "The doctors took some of my brain," Driscoll says, "so my short-term memory is kind of shot. But that day I'll never forget. Tim is such a good man."

This whole thing makes no football sense, of course. Most NFL players hardly talk to teammates before a game, much less visit with the sick and dying.

Isn't that a huge distraction?

"Just the opposite," Tebow says. "It's by far the best thing I do to get myself ready. Here you are, about to play a game that the world says is the most important thing in the world. Win and they praise you. Lose and they crush you. And here I have a chance to talk to the coolest, most courageous people. It puts it all into perspective. The game doesn't really matter. I mean, I'll give 100 percent of my heart to win it, but in the end, the thing I most want to do is not win championships or make a lot of money, it's to invest in people's lives, to make a difference."

So that's it. I've given up giving up on him. I'm a 100 percent believer. Not in his arm. Not in his skills. I believe in his heart, his there-will-definitely-be-a-pony-under-the-tree optimism, the way his love pours into people, right up to their eyeballs, until they believe they can master the hopeless comeback, too.

Remember the QB who lost his leg, Jacob Rainey? He got his prosthetic leg a few weeks ago and he wants to play high school football next season. Yes, tackle football. He'd be the first to do that on an above-the-knee amputation.

Hmmm. Wonder where he got that crazy idea?

"Tim told me to keep fighting, no matter what," Rainey says. "I am."

Watch the games. They ran 1 with Tebow when they were still trying to decide how to properly use him, but it isn't something Fox uses regularly even when the game is dictating that a screen pass is the obvious way to relieve some of the pressure on his QB (we're talking about when Orton was still the QB, I can see quite a few are having trouble following the discussion).

Just read that article that Dude quoted on here written by Rick Reilly there on ESPN. Great piece--got a little dusty here in the office....

Did you read Reilly's other article where he suggested that Fox had been planning to run the option in the NFL since 1996 and tried to paint him as some evil genius who had just been watching and waiting to coach Tim Tebow because Tebow could run it for him? That guy lost any credibility when he wrote that. I'm surprised more people don't reference it and laugh at Reilly, a former Panthers beat writer was the only one I really saw pointing out how comical the article was.

Watch the games. They ran 1 with Tebow when they were still trying to decide how to properly use him, but it isn't something Fox uses regularly even when the game is dictating that a screen pass is the obvious way to relieve some of the pressure on his QB (we're talking about when Orton was still the QB, I can see quite a few are having trouble following the discussion).
So, he didn't actually say it, then, right? I am aware that the screen is not a big part of Fox's game, as I know Carolina's RBs never had a lot of catches, but Mike Goodson, their number 3 RB, did have 40 catches last year, so while the screen isn't a big part of Fox's offensive game plan, this idea that he won't even run them is just plain wrong. As for why they did not call more when Orton and Moreno were in there, I cannot answer that (although my guess would be that Fox likes having a RB to block rather than leave the QB unprotected, since his passing game is often about taking shots downfield, so max protecting the QB is necessary since you need time for WRs to get down field), but you were the one who accused Fox of not calling them because he supposedly thinks they are cheap and cheesy, so if you are gonna accuse him of that, at least man up and show us the quotes of him saying that.

So, he didn't actually say it, then, right? I am aware that the screen is not a big part of Fox's game, as I know Carolina's RBs never had a lot of catches, but Mike Goodson, their number 3 RB, did have 40 catches last year, so while the screen isn't a big part of Fox's offensive game plan, this idea that he won't even run them is just plain wrong. As for why they did not call more when Orton and Moreno were in there, I cannot answer that (although my guess would be that Fox likes having a RB to block rather than leave the QB unprotected, since his passing game is often about taking shots downfield, so max protecting the QB is necessary since you need time for WRs to get down field), but you were the one who accused Fox of not calling them because he supposedly thinks they are cheap and cheesy, so if you are gonna accuse him of that, at least man up and show us the quotes of him saying that.
So you're chalking it up to a flawed philosophy, that's fine.

Wayching Tebow: Year in Review on NFLN right now. Tebow's 1st TD pass this year was a screen pass to Moreno in the SD game.

'The Dude said:
How about this from ESPN - IMO, why you should cheer for him and stop cheeing against himI've come to believe in Tim Tebow, but not for what he does on a football field, which is still three parts Dr. Jekyll and two parts Mr. Hyde.No, I've come to believe in Tim Tebow for what he does off a football field, which is represent the best parts of us, the parts I want to be and so rarely am.Who among us is this selfless?Every week, Tebow picks out someone who is suffering, or who is dying, or who is injured, flies them and their families to the Broncos game, rents them a car, puts them up in a nice hotel, buys them dinner (usually at a Dave and Buster's), gets them and their families pregame passes, visits with them just before kickoff (!), gets them 30-yard line tickets down low, visits with them after the game (sometimes for an hour), has them walk him to his car, and sends them off with a basket of gifts.Home or road, win or lose, hero or goat. Remember last week, when the world was pulling its hair out in the hour after Tebow had stunned the Pittsburgh Steelers with an 80-yard OT touchdown pass to Demaryius Thomas in the playoffs? And Twitter was exploding with 9,420 tweets about Tebow per second? When an ESPN poll was naming him the most popular athlete in America?Tebow was spending that hour talking to 16-year-old Bailey Knaub about her 73 surgeries so far and what TV shows she likes."Here he'd just played the game of his life," recalls Bailey's mother, Kathy, of Loveland, Colo., "and the first thing he does after his press conference is come find Bailey and ask, 'Did you get anything to eat?' He acted like what he'd just done wasn't anything, like it was all about Bailey."More than that, Tebow kept corralling people into the room for Bailey to meet. Hey, Demaryius, come in here a minute. Hey, Mr. Elway. Hey, Coach Fox. Even though sometimes-fatal Wegener's granulomatosis has left Bailey with only one lung, the attention took her breath away."It was the best day of my life," she emailed. "It was a bright star among very gloomy and difficult days. Tim Tebow gave me the greatest gift I could ever imagine. He gave me the strength for the future. I know now that I can face any obstacle placed in front of me. Tim taught me to never give up because at the end of the day, today might seem bleak but it can't rain forever and tomorrow is a new day, with new promises."I read that email to Tebow and he was honestly floored."Why me? Why should I inspire her?" he said. "I just don't feel, I don't know, adequate. Really, hearing her story inspires me."It's not just NFL defenses that get Tebowed. It's kids who will die soon. It's adults who can hardly stand. It's high school girls who don't know if they'll ever go to a prom.For the game at Buffalo, it was Charlottesville, Va., blue-chip high school QB Jacob Rainey, who lost his leg after a freak tackle in a scrimmage. Tebow threw three interceptions in that Buffalo game and the Broncos were crushed, 40-14. "He walked in and took a big sigh and said, 'Well, that didn't go as planned,'" remembers Rainey. "Where I'm from, people wonder how sincere and genuine he is. But I think he's the most genuine person I've ever met."There's not an ounce of artifice or phoniness or Hollywood in this kid Tebow and I've looked everywhere for it.Take 9-year-old Zac Taylor, a child who lives in constant pain. Immediately after Tebow shocked the Chicago Bears with a 13-10 comeback win, Tebow spent an hour with Zac and his family. At one point, Zac, who has 10 doctors, asked Tebow if he has a secret prayer for hospital visits. Tebow whispered it in his ear. And since Tebow still needed to be checked out by the Broncos' team doctor, he took Zac in with him, but only after they'd whispered it together.And it's not always kids. Tom Driscoll, a 55-year-old who is dying of brain cancer at a hospice in Denver, was Tebow's guest for the Cincinnati game. "The doctors took some of my brain," Driscoll says, "so my short-term memory is kind of shot. But that day I'll never forget. Tim is such a good man."This whole thing makes no football sense, of course. Most NFL players hardly talk to teammates before a game, much less visit with the sick and dying. Isn't that a huge distraction? "Just the opposite," Tebow says. "It's by far the best thing I do to get myself ready. Here you are, about to play a game that the world says is the most important thing in the world. Win and they praise you. Lose and they crush you. And here I have a chance to talk to the coolest, most courageous people. It puts it all into perspective. The game doesn't really matter. I mean, I'll give 100 percent of my heart to win it, but in the end, the thing I most want to do is not win championships or make a lot of money, it's to invest in people's lives, to make a difference."So that's it. I've given up giving up on him. I'm a 100 percent believer. Not in his arm. Not in his skills. I believe in his heart, his there-will-definitely-be-a-pony-under-the-tree optimism, the way his love pours into people, right up to their eyeballs, until they believe they can master the hopeless comeback, too.Remember the QB who lost his leg, Jacob Rainey? He got his prosthetic leg a few weeks ago and he wants to play high school football next season. Yes, tackle football. He'd be the first to do that on an above-the-knee amputation.Hmmm. Wonder where he got that crazy idea?"Tim told me to keep fighting, no matter what," Rainey says. "I am."
That's great stuff right there.

'The Dude said:
How about this from ESPN - IMO, why you should cheer for him and stop cheeing against himI've come to believe in Tim Tebow, but not for what he does on a football field, which is still three parts Dr. Jekyll and two parts Mr. Hyde.No, I've come to believe in Tim Tebow for what he does off a football field, which is represent the best parts of us, the parts I want to be and so rarely am.Who among us is this selfless?Every week, Tebow picks out someone who is suffering, or who is dying, or who is injured, flies them and their families to the Broncos game, rents them a car, puts them up in a nice hotel, buys them dinner (usually at a Dave and Buster's), gets them and their families pregame passes, visits with them just before kickoff (!), gets them 30-yard line tickets down low, visits with them after the game (sometimes for an hour), has them walk him to his car, and sends them off with a basket of gifts.Home or road, win or lose, hero or goat. Remember last week, when the world was pulling its hair out in the hour after Tebow had stunned the Pittsburgh Steelers with an 80-yard OT touchdown pass to Demaryius Thomas in the playoffs? And Twitter was exploding with 9,420 tweets about Tebow per second? When an ESPN poll was naming him the most popular athlete in America?Tebow was spending that hour talking to 16-year-old Bailey Knaub about her 73 surgeries so far and what TV shows she likes."Here he'd just played the game of his life," recalls Bailey's mother, Kathy, of Loveland, Colo., "and the first thing he does after his press conference is come find Bailey and ask, 'Did you get anything to eat?' He acted like what he'd just done wasn't anything, like it was all about Bailey."More than that, Tebow kept corralling people into the room for Bailey to meet. Hey, Demaryius, come in here a minute. Hey, Mr. Elway. Hey, Coach Fox. Even though sometimes-fatal Wegener's granulomatosis has left Bailey with only one lung, the attention took her breath away."It was the best day of my life," she emailed. "It was a bright star among very gloomy and difficult days. Tim Tebow gave me the greatest gift I could ever imagine. He gave me the strength for the future. I know now that I can face any obstacle placed in front of me. Tim taught me to never give up because at the end of the day, today might seem bleak but it can't rain forever and tomorrow is a new day, with new promises."I read that email to Tebow and he was honestly floored."Why me? Why should I inspire her?" he said. "I just don't feel, I don't know, adequate. Really, hearing her story inspires me."It's not just NFL defenses that get Tebowed. It's kids who will die soon. It's adults who can hardly stand. It's high school girls who don't know if they'll ever go to a prom.For the game at Buffalo, it was Charlottesville, Va., blue-chip high school QB Jacob Rainey, who lost his leg after a freak tackle in a scrimmage. Tebow threw three interceptions in that Buffalo game and the Broncos were crushed, 40-14. "He walked in and took a big sigh and said, 'Well, that didn't go as planned,'" remembers Rainey. "Where I'm from, people wonder how sincere and genuine he is. But I think he's the most genuine person I've ever met."There's not an ounce of artifice or phoniness or Hollywood in this kid Tebow and I've looked everywhere for it.Take 9-year-old Zac Taylor, a child who lives in constant pain. Immediately after Tebow shocked the Chicago Bears with a 13-10 comeback win, Tebow spent an hour with Zac and his family. At one point, Zac, who has 10 doctors, asked Tebow if he has a secret prayer for hospital visits. Tebow whispered it in his ear. And since Tebow still needed to be checked out by the Broncos' team doctor, he took Zac in with him, but only after they'd whispered it together.And it's not always kids. Tom Driscoll, a 55-year-old who is dying of brain cancer at a hospice in Denver, was Tebow's guest for the Cincinnati game. "The doctors took some of my brain," Driscoll says, "so my short-term memory is kind of shot. But that day I'll never forget. Tim is such a good man."This whole thing makes no football sense, of course. Most NFL players hardly talk to teammates before a game, much less visit with the sick and dying. Isn't that a huge distraction? "Just the opposite," Tebow says. "It's by far the best thing I do to get myself ready. Here you are, about to play a game that the world says is the most important thing in the world. Win and they praise you. Lose and they crush you. And here I have a chance to talk to the coolest, most courageous people. It puts it all into perspective. The game doesn't really matter. I mean, I'll give 100 percent of my heart to win it, but in the end, the thing I most want to do is not win championships or make a lot of money, it's to invest in people's lives, to make a difference."So that's it. I've given up giving up on him. I'm a 100 percent believer. Not in his arm. Not in his skills. I believe in his heart, his there-will-definitely-be-a-pony-under-the-tree optimism, the way his love pours into people, right up to their eyeballs, until they believe they can master the hopeless comeback, too.Remember the QB who lost his leg, Jacob Rainey? He got his prosthetic leg a few weeks ago and he wants to play high school football next season. Yes, tackle football. He'd be the first to do that on an above-the-knee amputation.Hmmm. Wonder where he got that crazy idea?"Tim told me to keep fighting, no matter what," Rainey says. "I am."
Amazing. Tebow even makes Rick Reilly write a great article.

I would think even the naysayers would have to admit that he has exceeded their expectations - he is not horrible and has proven he can compete in the big league.
He hasn't proven much of anything. He had a poor year overall. Only completed 46.5% of his passes for 6.38 yards per throw during the regular season. Those are among the worst numbers of any QB in the NFL. Bear in mind that he posted these poor numbers despite having minimal responsibility (he ranked dead last among NFL starters in pass attempts per game). Tim Tebow might become a good starter, but he did not have a good year. The stats don't lie.
Is 6.38 ypa really that poor for a 1st year starter? Sam Bradford's was 6.0 last year and it was considered a phenomenal rookie year. Stafford's was 6.0, Peyton 6.5, Brady 6.9, Mcnabb 4.4, Brees 6.2, etc.
Many of those guys started as rookies. Tebow is a second year player who presumably benefited from a year of NFL practice and offseason work.And the key thing with those guys is that most of them eventually improved. If McNabb, Brees, and Peyton had stayed at that level, they would not have lasted as starters in the NFL. I have never said that Tebow can't improve. I've said that he must improve, which is true.

The real ##### of it is that you never quite know how it's going to play out with young QBs. Some of them make tremendous strides (Eli, Brees). Others improve minimally, if at all (Sanchez, Edwards, Harrington, Carr). I don't know if Tim Tebow will eventually become a great QB, but I know that he was a very bad one this season.

And for kicks, Tebow's TD/INT ratio was ahead of all those guys and his QB rating was ahead of all except Brady.

I know you've been harping on completion percentage a lot and I agree he'll need to get that up, but it seems a bit unfair to take that number at face value. Tebow throws an exhorbitant number of his balls downfield so you expect the competition percentage to at least be a bit lower. His yards per completion led the NFL this year.

I think completion percentage is a bit overblown, especially by you. Who do you want, the guy that went 24/41 for 199yds with 0 TDs today or the guy who went 10/21 for 315yds and 2 TDs?

The all-time leader in completion percentage in NFL history is Chad Pennington. Matt Schaub, Carson Palmer, Brian Griese, Marc Bulger, Shaun Hill, and David Garrard are all in the top 20. Even guys like Jason Campbell, Damon Huard, Chad Henne, Jon Kitna, Tim Couch, and David Carr aren't far behind that.

I'm not sure why you've decided that completion percentage is among the two most important QB stats in the last few years (you use it in the Roethisberger argument as well). Almost half of the top 40 QBs in all-time completion percentage are journeymen/backups/garbage.
I look at completion percentage in conjunction with yards per attempt and QB rating (which is related to those two stats). If I had to choose which is the most important, I'd probably go with yards per attempt. A player can "fluke" his way to a high completion percentage by throwing short passes and dump offs. It's much harder to fluke your way to a high YPA average. If you look at YPA averages from year to year, it tends to read like a "who's who" list of elite QBs. Tebow's 6.4 average doesn't even register on the "wow" scale for a first year starter.
:goodposting: So how did Tebow go in his first playoff game?

In going 10-for-21, Tebow completed just 47.6 percent of his passes. What mattered, instead, is what Tebow got out of each of his dropbacks. By throwing for 316 yards on those 21 attempts, Tebow averaged a whopping 15.0 yards per attempt. That's only happened five times in the past five years, and the company isn't shabby: Drew Brees, Matt Schaub, Jeff Garcia, Kurt Warner, and Philip Rivers matched Tebow's feat.
But are the Steelers really a great pass defense?
The Broncos were not just facing any old defense on Sunday; they were facing the Pittsburgh Steelers. Pittsburgh's pass defense allowed just 5.6 yards per attempt this season, which was the best in the league by more than half a yard. Houston finished second at 6.2 yards, and they were closer to ninth than they were to first. Nary a single passer threw for more than 300 yards against the Steelers all year. They allowed a pass play of more than 45 yards just once, and that was on a 73-yard touchdown to LaRod Stephens-Howling on a wheel route in which the ball traveled about ten yards in the air. Nobody beat the Steelers deep this year. Nobody.

And then they met Tim Tebow. Tebow, of course, had completions for 51 and 58 yards on back-to-back drives before adding an 80-yarder to win the game on the opening play of overtime. All three of those throws traveled well downfield. Tebow also became the first passer to throw for more than 300 yards against Pittsburgh this season.

That sort of performance just doesn't happen against dominant pass defenses like Pittsburgh's. Consider that there have been 44 playoff games since 1990 featuring a defense that ranked first in the league in yards per attempt during the regular season. In those 44 games, the opposing quarterback has only managed to muster an average of 6.3 yards per attempt.1 Tebow's 15.0 YPA was more than four yards better than anyone else's performance against a top-ranked defense, and only one player achieved a higher passer rating in a playoff against such a defense. That player was Brett Favre, who had a 132.9 passer rating in a January 1996 game against the 49ers.
What about the Steelers injuries?
We knew that safety Ryan Clark would be held out of the game because of his sickle cell trait, but the Steelers lost defensive linemen Casey Hampton and Brett Keisel to injuries during the game, forcing them to play three down linemen for the bulk of the contest. Combine that with a clearly limited LaMarr Woodley, who played through a hamstring injury, and Tebow was actually slicing up a pale imitation of the Steel Curtain. Right?

Well, yes and no. It's obvious to suggest that Clark would have had an impact at safety, especially considering that replacement Ryan Mundy appeared to get lost on the final play. Then again, Mundy also forced the key Willis McGahee fumble in the fourth quarter that allowed the Steelers to tie up the game. Furthermore, it's not like Mundy was getting lost while he was freelancing; cornerback Ike Taylor was getting beat because Steelers defensive coordinator **** LeBeau continued to call an aggressive game. The Steelers flooded the line of scrimmage with defenders on many plays in an attempt to flush out the Denver running game, including a big run blitz on the first play of overtime that was based upon pre-snap motion.

The game plan was to shut down the running game and challenge Tebow and his receivers to beat Taylor & Co. deep. Even after the Broncos lost starting wideout Eric Decker in the first quarter,2 the Broncos were able to pull that off, repeatedly, until the very last play of the game.
2. Which made him the third Denver starter on offense in two weeks to go down with an injury, for those of you who think that only the Steelers had to deal with injuries during this game …
The other argument is that Tebow's numbers really belong to wideout Demaryius Thomas, who repeatedly torched Taylor as part of a 204-yard day. This one doesn't hold up to any scrutiny. There is, admittedly, a case to be made for the idea that yards after the catch should somehow count less for a quarterback. It's somewhat ridiculous to think that Eli Manning got credit for a 99-yard touchdown pass against the Jets in Week 16 on a play where he dumped the ball off underneath and Victor Cruz made two defenders miss before running for 90 yards.

The plays Tebow made on Sunday night were not of that variety. He deserves plenty of the credit. Tebow's scrambling ability created the time for his first bomb, which went to Thomas for 51 yards (42 in the air), and then he later hit Thomas in perfect stride on completions of 58 yards (28 in the air) and 80 yards (18 in the air). Thomas' baby Megatron show was fabulous, but he wasn't doing all the work by himself.
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7441363/bill-barnwell-breaks-tim-tebow-epic-game-coaching-woes-atlanta

Not sure if it's been posted in here or not as I'm not reading through everything to check. But for those of you who can't stand the guy for who he is, it's sad that a guy who does what he does off the field gets the amount of venom he does, especially with all the criminals in the league that we are always complaining about.

Believing in Tebow

I've come to believe in Tim Tebow, but not for what he does on a football field, which is still three parts Dr. Jekyll and two parts Mr. Hyde.

No, I've come to believe in Tim Tebow for what he does off a football field, which is represent the best parts of us, the parts I want to be and so rarely am.

Who among us is this selfless?

Every week, Tebow picks out someone who is suffering, or who is dying, or who is injured. He flies these people and their families to the Broncos game, rents them a car, puts them up in a nice hotel, buys them dinner (usually at a Dave & Buster's), gets them and their families pregame passes, visits with them just before kickoff (!), gets them 30-yard-line tickets down low, visits with them after the game (sometimes for an hour), has them walk him to his car, and sends them off with a basket of gifts.

Home or road, win or lose, hero or goat.

Remember last week, when the world was pulling its hair out in the hour after Tebow had stunned the Pittsburgh Steelers with an 80-yard OT touchdown pass to Demaryius Thomasin the playoffs? And Twitter was exploding with 9,420 tweets about Tebow per second? When an ESPN poll was naming him the most popular athlete in America?

Tebow was spending that hour talking to 16-year-old Bailey Knaub about her 73 surgeries so far and what TV shows she likes.

MORE FROM TIM TEBOW

For Tim Tebow's take on being named America's most popular athlete, click here.

"Here he'd just played the game of his life," recalls Bailey's mother, Kathy, of Loveland, Colo., "and the first thing he does after his press conference is come find Bailey and ask, 'Did you get anything to eat?' He acted like what he'd just done wasn't anything, like it was all about Bailey."

More than that, Tebow kept corralling people into the room for Bailey to meet. Hey, Demaryius, come in here a minute. Hey, Mr. Elway. Hey, Coach Fox.

Even though sometimes-fatal Wegener's granulomatosis has left Bailey with only one lung, the attention took her breath away.

"It was the best day of my life," she emailed. "It was a bright star among very gloomy and difficult days. Tim Tebow gave me the greatest gift I could ever imagine. He gave me the strength for the future. I know now that I can face any obstacle placed in front of me. Tim taught me to never give up because at the end of the day, today might seem bleak but it can't rain forever and tomorrow is a new day, with new promises."

I read that email to Tebow, and he was honestly floored.

"Why me? Why should I inspire her?" he said. "I just don't feel, I don't know, adequate. Really, hearing her story inspires me."

It's not just NFL defenses that get Tebowed. It's high school girls who don't know whether they'll ever go to a prom. It's adults who can hardly stand. It's kids who will die soon.

For the game at Buffalo, it was Charlottesville, Va., blue-chip high school QB Jacob Rainey, who lost his leg after a freak tackle in a scrimmage. Tebow threw three interceptions in that Buffalo game and the Broncos were crushed 40-14.

"He walked in and took a big sigh and said, 'Well, that didn't go as planned,'" Rainey remembers. "Where I'm from, people wonder how sincere and genuine he is. But I think he's the most genuine person I've ever met."

There's not an ounce of artifice or phoniness or Hollywood in this kid Tebow, and I've looked everywhere for it.

Take 9-year-old Zac Taylor, a child who lives in constant pain. Immediately after Tebow shocked the Chicago Bears with a 13-10 comeback win, Tebow spent an hour with Zac and his family. At one point, Zac, who has 10 doctors, asked Tebow whether he has a secret prayer for hospital visits. Tebow whispered it in his ear. And because Tebow still needed to be checked out by the Broncos' team doctor, he took Zac in with him, but only after they had whispered it together.

And it's not always kids. Tom Driscoll, a 55-year-old who is dying of brain cancer at a hospice in Denver, was Tebow's guest for the Cincinnati game. "The doctors took some of my brain," Driscoll says, "so my short-term memory is kind of shot. But that day I'll neverforget. Tim is such a good man."

This whole thing makes no football sense, of course. Most NFL players hardly talk toteammates before a game, much less visit with the sick and dying.

Isn't that a huge distraction?

Stephanie TaylorNot everything Tim Tebow does on one knee is controversial. Ask Zac Taylor.

"Just the opposite," Tebow says. "It's by far the best thing I do to get myself ready. Here you are, about to play a game that the world says is the most important thing in the world. Win and they praise you. Lose and they crush you. And here I have a chance to talk to the coolest, most courageous people. It puts it all into perspective. The game doesn't really matter. I mean, I'll give 100 percent of my heart to win it, but in the end, the thing I most want to do is not win championships or make a lot of money, it's to invest in people's lives, to make a difference."

So that's it. I've given up giving up on him. I'm a 100 percent believer. Not in his arm. Not in his skills. I believe in his heart, his there-will-definitely-be-a-pony-under-the-tree optimism, the way his love pours into people, right up to their eyeballs, until they believe they can master the hopeless comeback, too.

Remember the QB who lost his leg, Jacob Rainey? He got his prosthetic leg a few weeks ago, and he wants to play high school football next season. Yes, tackle football. He'd be the first to do that on an above-the-knee amputation.

Hmmm. Wonder where he got that crazy idea?

"Tim told me to keep fighting, no matter what," Rainey says. "I am."

It's not really possible to quantify a quarterback's role in his team's win-loss record. We don't know where the Broncos would be without Tebow.
We have a fair idea. They were 1-4 under Orton. Since Tebow took over they are 8-4.

Simmons:

Q: Did you see NBC's pregame show on Saturday? They had Barkley on because he was hosting SNL later that night. Barkley picked the exact opposite of what Rodney Harrison picked for the two games. They argued and Barkley said, "Bet you dinner." Seated between Harrison and Barkley was Tony Dungy, who suddenly got very serious and looked at Barkley and said in a soft voice, "Oh, we can't bet on the show." Barkley just kept going, "We are talking about dinner!" Very funny moment between two guys who probably never would speak to each other any other way.— Patrick, BostonSG: Saw it, loved it. I'm going out on a limb and saying that Tony Dungy and Charles Barkley don't have a ton in common. That exchange would have been the highlight of Round One if not for the new playoff OT rule losing its virginity with Tim Tebow, and then, Tebow only lasting 11 seconds.

Wayching Tebow: Year in Review on NFLN right now. Tebow's 1st TD pass this year was a screen pass to Moreno in the SD game.
Try to keep up chief.
So what he didn't call screen passes for Orton. He's still coaching today. If he fails and is gone in two years so be it. This is the NFL where they play to win the game. What happens next year or the year after doesn't matter

I am pretty sure we do not. And we're still waiting on the link where Fox supposedly says that he hates calling screen passes because he feels they are cheap and cheesy.
bump...do we have a cheap and cheesy link yet?

Try to keep up chief.
You said fox doesn't like screen passes because they are cheap and cheesy. I said he doesn't call them now because teams mush-rush Tebow and screens won't work against that kind of D, and also found two examples of screens being called prior to opponents figuring out the mush-rush bit.Not sure where you are going, other than criticizing one of the best coaching performances in the NFL this year.Eta: I do remember Orton throwing screens because a blog I read, itsalloverfatman.com, commented on how terrible Orton was at setting up the screen pass... Things like taking his drops from center differently for screens vs traditional 7 step drop. An inability to properly set up screen passes was a major geipe those guys had w/ Orton in pre-season. If I get a chance i'll try to find a link. I bet I find this link before your link re: Foxes opinion on screens.

Try to keep up chief.
You said fox doesn't like screen passes because they are cheap and cheesy. I said he doesn't call them now because teams mush-rush Tebow and screens won't work against that kind of D, and also found two examples of screens being called prior to opponents figuring out the mush-rush bit.Not sure where you are going, other than criticizing one of the best coaching performances in the NFL this year.
:goodposting:

link 1:

d. Not to pile on, but I got a little verklempt on Sunday when Steve Tasker pointed out that Orton was tipping his screens, and that the Titans were all over them because Kyle’s backpedal looks different lately on screens than it does on any other pass play. He backs straight up with his shoulders parallel to the line of scrimmage, when on any other pass play, he uses proper technique, with his front shoulder facing the line of scrimmage, and his back shoulder facing the end zone behind him. Tasker pointed out that the Titans were keying specifically on that weird style of dropback, and that was why the two screens got stuffed.

I actually suspect that the Broncos have been coaching Orton to drop back that way on his screens, because it’s a pretty recent development. If the thought is that it keeps his balance better and makes him hurry less, that’s true; unfortunately though, it completely tips the play. Here I was thinking that I’m the only guy who saw that Orton struggles mightily with the screen game.

I'll say it. No one expected Denver to win this game but TT sure hasn't done anything all night to make it seem like it could have ever been close.

I hope he plays well enough next year to remain the starter. When he's on he's fun to watch, but when he's off it can be ugly.

Might sound redundant but The Denver offense has very little to work with. Of the 8 teams this far, Denver has to have the worst WR corp by far. McGahee is good but he is not a threat. The offensive line is looking terrible.

Denver needs to address some offense in the draft and free agency. Tebow is not the problem with Denver, rather the problem Denver has is getting players to surround Tebow. This offense can work but many pieces need to be found.

Might sound redundant but The Denver offense has very little to work with. Of the 8 teams this far, Denver has to have the worst WR corp by far. McGahee is good but he is not a threat. The offensive line is looking terrible.Denver needs to address some offense in the draft and free agency. Tebow is not the problem with Denver, rather the problem Denver has is getting players to surround Tebow. This offense can work but many pieces need to be found.
Agreed. The wrs are TERRIBLE. The only good wr is Thomas and he is the only one who does anything. Tebow is constantly getting guys in his face before he even gets a chance to look down field.

Might sound redundant but The Denver offense has very little to work with. Of the 8 teams this far, Denver has to have the worst WR corp by far. McGahee is good but he is not a threat. The offensive line is looking terrible.Denver needs to address some offense in the draft and free agency. Tebow is not the problem with Denver, rather the problem Denver has is getting players to surround Tebow. This offense can work but many pieces need to be found.
Agreed. The wrs are TERRIBLE. The only good wr is Thomas and he is the only one who does anything. Tebow is constantly getting guys in his face before he even gets a chance to look down field.

Tebow has made tremendous strides as a passer. His most common mistake now is getting under the ball. That can easily be corrected.

When he gets more consistent, Tebow is going to give defenses absolute fits. Of course the Broncos need better personnel, which will help, but this kid is going to be a player (& an even better FF player).

Users who are viewing this thread