What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SSL #3 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Joined At The Hip

An interesting xchange last night, what with the clock and the circumstance and the realization that we're all in this together.

It takes some level of tolerance to be in this with a random set of loosly associated "Brothers."

I'm the first guy to want it to move along but I have to temper my enthusiasm sometimes and remember that we're a microcosm of our society and our ages and our wants and jobs and families and....lives.

This is a interesting time in our Nation's history.....probably more polarized than it's ever been. It was nice to see it come together in our small group and to realize that if "we" can come together that maybe there's hope for the larger group.

This will pass and it will probably be there again next year. Our focus on this single purpose is a grace that a lot of people (as in billions) on this planet don't have as they don't have food or drinking water or a fire to cook food on.

Good to see this come together.

You guys are OK.

:shrug:

Gamma,

I would like to hear about your 5/6 turn and the selection of Dez Bryant. Not criticizing, just simply would like to know what you were weighing as far as different guys to select. The turn is always interesting because you have to plan ahead a lot more than picks in the middle do. I doubt highly that Dez Bryant would have ever made it back to you, he absolutely would not have, so you probably knew that and wanted him. Any thoughts you could share would be great. I will be doing a review of all teams once we are finished or close to it.

Thanks,

MOP

And Toads, what you wrote was awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
3 teams have not even taken a WR in this back half and we are moving towards guys with some degree of a ceiling. I will be interested to see what the battle plans are for these owners.
The answer:1) Dez Bryant becomes a #2 WR. He's been falling progressively towards #2 WR, going from a #3 to a #2, from round #7-8 to round #7-6 to the 5-6 turn (the #29 WR in this draft).Now, as far as strategy goes, that's a risk that either wins the pot on a bluff or makes the #3 WR choice real big. The Q's surrounding Bryant are equal to, and perhaps offset by, the potential rewards.The Q's surrounding the # of footballs in DAL are the other factor. Somebody is gonna be open and where Romo throws it is more a product of how much time he has to get rid of it than who catches it.Witten goes higher, Miles goes higher, Bryant goes higher.....all these guys can't be uber productive with the OFF line going lower. Too many weapons, not enough protection. It will end up with the same result: DAL getting too cute and a physical team dismanteling them in the playoffs.In the mean time and in between time, Bryant's one answer to the question. The only good news is that he didn't last to Jeff T.'s next pick (who rates him as a #25 WR and higher than any other "published" rater).

Gamma,I would like to hear about your 5/6 turn and the selection of Dez Bryant. Not criticizing, just simply would like to know what you were weighing as far as different guys to select. The turn is always interesting because you have to plan ahead a lot more than picks in the middle do. I doubt highly that Dez Bryant would have ever made it back to you, he absolutely would not have, so you probably knew that and wanted him. Any thoughts you could share would be great. I will be doing a review of all teams once we are finished or close to it. Thanks,MOPAnd Toads, what you wrote was awesome.
There were a few WRs I considered instead (not all were picked so I won't name drop), but unfortunately with my WR1/TE1 already on the same bye week, I needed a WR that would not overlap, so the early bye week was perfect. It is hard to argue his upside in the Dallas passing attack. Maybe I should have taken Maclin here, but I knew Dez wouldn't make it back and he fits into the bye week I have with some players I am targeting later.

Just spoke with Bass. He wants Chris Cooley for his next pick if Sinrman doesn't pick him. If he's gone when Bass is up, Bass will check back in around 8-9 tonite.
MoP's head just exploded.
That's only because:1) he wanted Cooley,

2) he didn't want anyone to know he wanted Cooley, or

3) he didn't want all of us to know that BassNBrew wanted Cooley.

Need a poll for that one.

Let's hope that Sinrman doesn't want Cooley.

:wub:

4) he hates to check back every 10 minutes only to continue to see no movement?

QB: Shaub

RB: SJax/Matthews/Brown

WR: Marshall

TE: Cooley

Bass picked up a couple of gifts in Brown and Cooley, both of whom should have gone the round prior. This will make a strong core group. WR will obviously be the wink link, but quantity can make up of quality.

When I went Joseph Addai in the 4th round I gambled that I could get Owen Daniels in the 5th...actually I knew Rudni was going to take him on the turn, Tefertiller and I bet on it. I really wanted Daniels but I felt Addai was a more important pick and would stabalize my backfield.

In the 5th I never thought CJ Spiller would make it back around to me. I might be a little higher on him than most but the combo of him and Addai excited me so I passed on Zach Miller who would have made a nice consolation prize for not taking Daniels.

SO now I push it off the 6th round and there were 3-4 TEs I liked and a few teams that were gonna select TE on the way back.

John Carlson has done very well his 1st 2 years in the NFL, with a slight bump in Tds last year but also a dropoff a bit in yds. It looks like Seattle has brought in a couple of blocking TEs so that Carlson can line up in the slot more. I don't believe he can post Dallas CLark numbers but I do see him as a dark horse to crack the top5 if he is asked to catch a few more balls in Seattle. TJ Housh is not a #1, Tate is a rookie, Branch is in and out of the hospital all the time, Deon Butler...they just don't hav ea lot of firepower at WR and John Carlson is a mismatch for most LBs. Considering what I got at RB after I waited to get started, pretty happy with this pick. The dropoff coming at TE seemed pretty substantial too.

Carlson seemed like one of the last possible TEs with unknown upside meaning we haven't seen his best yet. I hope it's this season, we'll see.

I don't even see an option to forward PMs here.
finally....a mod actually doesn't see what others are so not confused about ......glorious!!!!
It's in the drop down of the person sending you the PM.Guess it's a moot point if the reply function distributes to two people.

I'll try that and report back.

Added By Edit: test for reply function sent to MOP and to Aaron.

The dropoff coming at TE seemed pretty substantial too. Carlson seemed like one of the last possible TEs with unknown upside meaning we haven't seen his best yet. I hope it's this season, we'll see.
I actually had Carlson added to the team and talked myself out of it based on bye week. If I added my #1 TE in the same bye week as my #1 QB I was asking for an early exit.So, I used the alternate TE as an "unblocking" option in bye weeks. I just didn't want a bye week #5 mess, or a duplicate bye week, for any of my top six players.Bye Week #5: Moss, CarlsonBye Week #6: Smith, Spiller:lmao:

The dropoff coming at TE seemed pretty substantial too. Carlson seemed like one of the last possible TEs with unknown upside meaning we haven't seen his best yet. I hope it's this season, we'll see.
I actually had Carlson added to the team and talked myself out of it based on bye week. If I added my #1 TE in the same bye week as my #1 QB I was asking for an early exit.So, I used the alternate TE as an "unblocking" option in bye weeks. I just didn't want a bye week #5 mess, or a duplicate bye week, for any of my top six players.Bye Week #5: Moss, CarlsonBye Week #6: Smith, Spiller :kicksrock:
I look at the bye weeks a little different than you. Early bye weeks are a major plus, more teams and as long as you draft depth you should be OK. QB-Romo(4)WR-R.Moss(5) S.Smith(6)RB-CJ Spiller(6) J.Addai(7)TE-Carlson(5)I can't really grab a QB with the same bye week, that's a no brainer. The WR are not overlapping yet. RBs are not overlapping yet. SO far I don't see this as a major problem. In fact if I can get thru the early bye weeks I'm gonna be a runaway freight train by the time we get to week 8 which is when a bunch of teams run into bye week issues over weeks 8 and 9.(MOP spin) :lmao:

I can't really grab a QB with the same bye week, that's a no brainer. The WR are not overlapping yet. RBs are not overlapping yet. SO far I don't see this as a major problem. In fact if I can get thru the early bye weeks I'm gonna be a runaway freight train by the time we get to week 8 which is when a bunch of teams run into bye week issues over weeks 8 and 9.(MOP spin) :)
There's always references to strategy in these deals and the bye week strategy obviously becomes a point of interest after (and for some, before) the bye weeks are revealed.What we're talking about is a basic strategy difference based on bye week:1. Avoiding conflicts within position is a no-brainer.2. Avoiding conflicts with all of the (5) top players and the #1 QB a. that doesn't apply if you don't choose a QB in the top six picks3. Avoiding conflicts within the top six scorers a. that doesn't apply if you pick a top six scorer at any other round in the draft, and b. that doesn't apply if any of your top 6 players are 1.) injured and/or not playing for some other reason (discipline) 2.) not playing due to having wrapped up the division crown in the late weeks, in which case a.) the number two QB needs to avoid all of the above.Maybe this is just the beginning of a bye week discussion strategy? I'm only in year #2 of doing this. My year one observations were that some guys were better than other guys at this and I've been trying to figure out why. There are probably a lot more ideas around bye weeks than those (above) so I'm sure that others will want to chime in....other than the smart comments about not caring and having another drink in the bar (see ***OFFICAL*** Drunk Thread and those guys aren't very good at showing up in the Mock Draft Central deal anyway).We differ on #3....that's a point of demarcation/difference in our strategies. If I could have accepted Carlson based on my strategy determininations (#2 for sure and #3 in general), I'd have him rostered now.You have two bye week conflicts in your top 6 players so you don't subscribe to #3: the pregnant Q is "why not". The "if I can get through the early bye weeks" comment is telling. What if your basic strategy choices turn out to be more important than your player choices and the strategy "Achilles Heel" doesn't allow for that? :cry:

Toads said:
Ministry of Pain said:
I can't really grab a QB with the same bye week, that's a no brainer. The WR are not overlapping yet. RBs are not overlapping yet. SO far I don't see this as a major problem. In fact if I can get thru the early bye weeks I'm gonna be a runaway freight train by the time we get to week 8 which is when a bunch of teams run into bye week issues over weeks 8 and 9.(MOP spin) :shark:
There's always references to strategy in these deals and the bye week strategy obviously becomes a point of interest after (and for some, before) the bye weeks are revealed.What we're talking about is a basic strategy difference based on bye week:1. Avoiding conflicts within position is a no-brainer.2. Avoiding conflicts with all of the (5) top players and the #1 QBa. that doesn't apply if you don't choose a QB in the top six picks3. Avoiding conflicts within the top six scorersa. that doesn't apply if you pick a top six scorer at any other round in the draft, andb. that doesn't apply if any of your top 6 players are1.) injured and/or not playing for some other reason (discipline)2.) not playing due to having wrapped up the division crown in the late weeks, in which casea.) the number two QB needs to avoid all of the above.Maybe this is just the beginning of a bye week discussion strategy? I'm only in year #2 of doing this. My year one observations were that some guys were better than other guys at this and I've been trying to figure out why. There are probably a lot more ideas around bye weeks than those (above) so I'm sure that others will want to chime in....other than the smart comments about not caring and having another drink in the bar (see ***OFFICAL*** Drunk Thread and those guys aren't very good at showing up in the Mock Draft Central deal anyway).We differ on #3....that's a point of demarcation/difference in our strategies. If I could have accepted Carlson based on my strategy determininations (#2 for sure and #3 in general), I'd have him rostered now.You have two bye week conflicts in your top 6 players so you don't subscribe to #3: the pregnant Q is "why not". The "if I can get through the early bye weeks" comment is telling. What if your basic strategy choices turn out to be more important than your player choices and the strategy "Achilles Heel" doesn't allow for that? :tumbleweed:
The good news is you have pointed this out and I have 12 more rounds to correct this dilema. Seriously though, I understand and I did think about it but I feel I can compensate by simply not overlapping within the positions the rest of the way. We'll look at this again in another 6 rounds and perhaps it will look different. Also let's not forget that high scores propel you two more weeks. The two years in I made it into SSL1 I was able to land 3 or 4 high scores along the way and those come in handy. I understand some are going by the strategy of just don't score the least...that's good but some of us have a chance to hit high score once in awhile. :shark:

Toads said:
Ruffrodys05 said:
Aaron Rudnicki said:
I don't even see an option to forward PMs here.
finally....a mod actually doesn't see what others are so not confused about ......glorious!!!!
It's in the drop down of the person sending you the PM.Guess it's a moot point if the reply function distributes to two people.

I'll try that and report back.

Added By Edit: test for reply function sent to MOP and to Aaron.
I see it there now, but I don't think it works.I don't know what's going on in here anymore.

I see it there now, but I don't think it works.I don't know what's going on in here anymore.
A forum re-vamping is in the works......right? At least that was the impression I got from Joe Bryant in the "New Site Launched" thread. Things might be a little easier or simpler when the new boards are unveiled.

Predicting a WR run from picks 7.06 - 7.11.
I do not think so. QB2 and RB is what I see. The WRs have dropped to a new tier for many
I could see someone taking a QB fearing that the QB2 run would happen, but most of those guys have their starting RBs locked up but don't have 3 starters at WR.
the QB2s are already going ... looking at SSL1, this round coming up will be some of all positions

With the decent qb2 almost gone, I went with Ben. Since Peyton has a later bye I thought it was worth the risk. Also having peyton makes me feel ok for first five games.

With the decent qb2 almost gone, I went with Ben. Since Peyton has a later bye I thought it was worth the risk. Also having peyton makes me feel ok for first five games.
When I looked at the draft before it started, I figured that Big Ben would go late, and and he would go to one of the guys with an elite QB1. He holds huge value at this point, and considering most orf the top QBs have late bye weeks, I knew that someone would get a good value. I thought about taking him instead of Henne, but a little worried that Kolb might not be consistant enough to begin the season.

Pairing him up with Peyton was a great move. You are solid at that position, probably the best combo in the league. I just thought Ben went a bit early.. maybe by a round.

Seems like QB's go earlier in these things every year. I just don't see a lot of value in QB22-25 when teams are still missing WR3's and RB2's. I'm seeing 9/10th round QB's going in the 6/7th...so I'm gonna zig against the zag and take what I see as ridiculous value falling elsewhere. :hot:

If I'd had faith enough to count on him on the 6-7 turn I would likely have passed on McNabb. Either one is a helluva #2 if your #1 has a late bye imo.

Seems like QB's go earlier in these things every year. I just don't see a lot of value in QB22-25 when teams are still missing WR3's and RB2's. I'm seeing 9/10th round QB's going in the 6/7th...so I'm gonna zig against the zag and take what I see as ridiculous value falling elsewhere. :thumbup:
Scarcity + production. I can get something out of WR64 off the board, but QB33 is a dicely proposition.

Seems like QB's go earlier in these things every year. I just don't see a lot of value in QB22-25 when teams are still missing WR3's and RB2's. I'm seeing 9/10th round QB's going in the 6/7th...so I'm gonna zig against the zag and take what I see as ridiculous value falling elsewhere. :thumbup:
Scarcity + production. I can get something out of WR64 off the board, but QB33 is a dicely proposition.
plus in SSL, you cannot make up for lack of quality with quantity

Seems like QB's go earlier in these things every year. I just don't see a lot of value in QB22-25 when teams are still missing WR3's and RB2's. I'm seeing 9/10th round QB's going in the 6/7th...so I'm gonna zig against the zag and take what I see as ridiculous value falling elsewhere. :hophead:
Just saying that after a certain point, there's little to gain with these QB's...they will stay on your bench 4 weeks out of five...while the RB2/3 or WR 4/5 you WOULD HAVE HAD at that price would score for you almost every week. The deeper backup QB's (22+) are badly over-rated in these leagues IMHO.

Seems like QB's go earlier in these things every year. I just don't see a lot of value in QB22-25 when teams are still missing WR3's and RB2's. I'm seeing 9/10th round QB's going in the 6/7th...so I'm gonna zig against the zag and take what I see as ridiculous value falling elsewhere. :hophead:
QB24+ is NOT quality though! But at the QB24 or so price, many quality players are still available at other positions.

QB24+ is NOT quality though! But at the QB24 or so price, many quality players are still available at other positions.
the last few QBs taken are quality, imo, when compared to some of the choices left. There are several NFL teams with uncertainty at the position. There are quality players available at other positions. Most are better players than the QBs, but the dropoff at QB is much steeper so relative value comes into play. This is where the SSLs become more difficult. In the WSL/PDSL, taking three QBs is no big deal.

Seems like QB's go earlier in these things every year. I just don't see a lot of value in QB22-25 when teams are still missing WR3's and RB2's. I'm seeing 9/10th round QB's going in the 6/7th...so I'm gonna zig against the zag and take what I see as ridiculous value falling elsewhere. :)
the last few QBs taken are quality, imo, when compared to some of the choices left. There are several NFL teams with uncertainty at the position. There are quality players available at other positions. Most are better players than the QBs, but the dropoff at QB is much steeper so relative value comes into play. This is where the SSLs become more difficult. In the WSL/PDSL, taking three QBs is no big deal.
:goodposting:

Ahh, I see a QB discussion brewing...

Personally, I had a number of reasons for taking my QB2 early.

A) I've been on the wrong end of the QB run in the other Survivors so far, and did not want to be again

B) In other Survivors, I reached for one of the top QBs, and I consciously decided at the beginning of the draft to change it up a little and go for two above-average QBs instead of burning an early pick on an elite one

C) This early on in the offseason, the uncertainty at the QB position for a number of teams has me wanting to secure both QBs early so I do not have to worry about it. In one survivor I have a top QB and then was stuck with two QBs that will get little-to-no playing time this year (Delhomme may get some, but Bulger? Highly doubt it).

D) I'm happy with Palmer, especially with the addition of Bryant who gives them some semblance of a good #2 WR, but Palmer will have his share of bad games, and I cannot afford to have games with < 10 points at the QB position. There's no guarantee that Sanchez will help, but then again NO QB can guarantee you 30+/game (even Brees, Manning, etc.). But the upgrades that Sanchez has on offense, and the fact that he has some experience under his belt has me thinking that he's going to have a great season this year, and boost my production at the position every week.

E) Could I have been better served taking my WR3 or (at that time) RB2? Eh, perhaps. But what I was looking at at that time didn't have me all wild and crazy about anyone, so I decided to go a different route for once and shore up the top position in the Survivors

Seems like QB's go earlier in these things every year. I just don't see a lot of value in QB22-25 when teams are still missing WR3's and RB2's. I'm seeing 9/10th round QB's going in the 6/7th...so I'm gonna zig against the zag and take what I see as ridiculous value falling elsewhere. ;)
Matt Moore averaged 18+ ppg in his last 4 starts in 2010. I'll take that type of production from the QB26 selected.

I'm sure LT wasn't on anyone's radar but mine and I almost picked him in the 7th as he was part of the late value I found at RB in the other drafts. This is a sharp group and Aaron really tore my heart out on the 6/7 turn when he grabbed Ricky Williams from me. I'd say it was a Buffalo fan sticking it to me for CJ Spiller, but he had a chance to get him in the 4/5 turn and didn't so I doubt he was on Aaron's radar much.

I feel LT has lost a step or two as others but the fact is they shipped the 3rd down threat off to Seattle. In LT...no way is McKnight gonna be doing 3rd down duty as a rookie who has a hard time pass blocking.

LT will get about 200 carries, 700 yds rushing, another 35-40 receptions,and 10-12 Tds. That's what he was brought in for and he'll do just fine as my RB3. WOuld have been doing cartwheels if I could have paired him with RIcky behind Addai and Spiller, would have loved that but the draft isn't over and there is a lot out there still.

Also, NY has very little invested at RB here. Both Greene and McKnight were 4th round picks so there isn't a huge need to push them on the field. Greene couldn't really handle the full load at the end of the season last year even after he was well rested going into the playoffs. As long as LT can stay healthy with less touches, I see no reason he can't be top15-20 this season.

I'm sure LT wasn't on anyone's radar but mine and I almost picked him in the 7th as he was part of the late value I found at RB in the other drafts. This is a sharp group and Aaron really tore my heart out on the 6/7 turn when he grabbed Ricky Williams from me. I'd say it was a Buffalo fan sticking it to me for CJ Spiller, but he had a chance to get him in the 4/5 turn and didn't so I doubt he was on Aaron's radar much. I feel LT has lost a step or two as others but the fact is they shipped the 3rd down threat off to Seattle. In LT...no way is McKnight gonna be doing 3rd down duty as a rookie who has a hard time pass blocking. LT will get about 200 carries, 700 yds rushing, another 35-40 receptions,and 10-12 Tds. That's what he was brought in for and he'll do just fine as my RB3. WOuld have been doing cartwheels if I could have paired him with RIcky behind Addai and Spiller, would have loved that but the draft isn't over and there is a lot out there still. Also, NY has very little invested at RB here. Both Greene and McKnight were 4th round picks so there isn't a huge need to push them on the field. Greene couldn't really handle the full load at the end of the season last year even after he was well rested going into the playoffs. As long as LT can stay healthy with less touches, I see no reason he can't be top15-20 this season.
If I didn't already have Sanchez and Greene on my team, I would have considered taking LT. If I remember right, he lasted longer in the other SSLs, so I would have looked to take him in the 8th or so. But again, I already have two Jets, so taking him or Cotchery (who I seriously considered instead of Jacobs, but was sniped right before it was my turn) would have been kind of silly.I don't think LT will be used as much as you think. Because he has missed a step and isn't getting any younger, I think he'll be used like a scat back and for blocking. He'll be used, and will produce about where you drafted him, but I don't see him top 15-20.

Ahh, I see a QB discussion brewing.
I've done it both ways and allways ended up with the final thought of "how many of these guys will start all 16 games?"In the end, it's about finding points and finding points in Weeks 15-17, should you be so fortunate as to get there. That supports your theory of the top #10-#15 rated QB's and trying to get a top ten score from them for all the weeks, including bench weeks for playoff QB's.

The recent problem's to Orton's value change the outlook as I believe that he'll loose Red Zone snaps to his "in training" team member as the season progresses unless DEN's red zone production picks up.

He should be on the field in bye week #5 though.

Added By Edit: been waiting on Glumpy's pick to see if he snagged his TE before the turn.

Tough picks.

Going with 8.13 WR Anthony Gonzalez, Indy
When he say's tough pick, I sympathize with him. That's tempting fate there.

Tough picks.

Going with 8.13 WR Anthony Gonzalez, Indy
When he say's tough pick, I sympathize with him. That's tempting fate there.
To clarify--"tough picks" was in reference to the ones leading up to mine when my primary targets got gone.
9.02 WR Santonio Holmes

pming Kun
Good pick. I've been eying him the last three rounds and he would not have passed me a fourth.
So, Glumpy is all over this player in a 48-64 pick range.Gotta love it.
:unsure: I considered him over the Edelman pick, and it was a tossup too with Gonzalez. I was drafting for need after the early double QB, and despite needing RB woulda doubled here.

Was happy to find Olson to pair up with Carlson. Lot of question marks for both I suppose but I think they make a lovely pair after the 1st 12-13 TEs went off the board. Olson is gonna be used, they have almost nothing at WR, seriously that is a weak group of wideouts for a Martz system. I don't see how with everyone's job on the line that they can just slide Olson to the bench and never use him. They don't have that luxury so Olson is gonna have to catch the ball.

If Olson was gonna be paired with a different OC, he would have likely gone 4 or 5 TEs b4 this pick so I feel you are gettign some value simply because of the OC. We'll see, it's a risk but in the 9th round I see upside here.

Kevin Kolb- 8, Chad Henne- 5

LeSean McCoy- 8, Laurence Maroney- 5, Darren McFadden- 10

Andre Johnson- 7, Anquan Boldin- 8, Wes Welker- 5

Vernon Davis- 9

I like this team so far, although I have multiple players on common bye weeks.

Kevin Kolb- 8, Chad Henne- 5

LeSean McCoy- 8, Laurence Maroney- 5, Darren McFadden- 10

Andre Johnson- 7, Anquan Boldin- 8, Wes Welker- 5

Vernon Davis- 9

I like this team so far, although I have multiple players on common bye weeks.
You're gonna have 18 roster spots and 7 bye weeks with 12 teams off over 2 of them...there is no way you can totally take bye week issues out. I definitely have some things I need to cover on my own team but as long as you have enough at a position to cover, you should be OK.

Ryan (8), Garrard (9)

C.Johnson (9), R.Williams (5), J.Harrison (8)

S.Rice (4), V.Jackson (10), Royal (9)

Daniels (7)

Users who are viewing this thread