What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do "dawn" and "don" rhyme? (1 Viewer)

Do "dawn" and "don" rhyme?

• Yes

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • No

Votes: 120 65.6%

• Total voters
Just watched Fred's video ... his "Don/Dawn" DOES sound kind of like (but not exactly like) mine and Rude's "Dawn". Fascinating.

Fred, you don't sound very Bostonian to me in that video. Where did you (and/or your parents) grow up?

or calll the shingles on top of their house a roof when it's really a roof (I don't know how to spell the sounds but it should be an oo instead of a schwah).
I always use: What does a dog say? What keeps the rain out of your house? The answers shouldn't sound the same.I ended up with a Midland accent on the test.

or calll the shingles on top of their house a roof when it's really a roof (I don't know how to spell the sounds but it should be an oo instead of a schwah).
I always use: What does a dog say? What keeps the rain out of your house? The answers shouldn't sound the same.I ended up with a Midland accent on the test.
Me, too, despite living all my life in the Deep South (but almost all in the New Orleans metro). Here's their description of the Midland accent:
"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.
The don't take vocabulary into account, however.

cstu said:
GDogg said:
Aaron Rudnicki said:
zander_s said:
What happens if we throw Shaun White into the mix?

What does he rhyme with??

There is no W.

Does Shaun rhyme with Shawn?
Sean, Shawn, Shaun all sound the same and nothing like Son, Sun, or Shun.
Do you pronounce Don like the word son (but obviously with a "d")? If so, you're right. It is the "o" in Don that's the issue and not the aw in Dawn.
You mean "done"?
That works.

Mr. Pickles said:
Love the "fbgcapella" shtick. Does JoeT still have that bassnbrew email address?
Yes. Is Youtube down for anyone else? 2 different computers in the office and I still can't get a video to play.The "law + n" argument seems like is should've cleared this up. Don and Dawn definitely do not sound the same.

Me, too, despite living all my life in the Deep South (but almost all in the New Orleans metro). Here's their description of the Midland accent:
"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.
The don't take vocabulary into account, however.
Or spelling. :lmao:I did grow up in Birmingham and lived my entire life in the South. Pickles might possibly state otherwise, but I've been told I don't have much of an accent. I do have some words/phrases which would give it away, but I'm talking generally, of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr. Pickles said:
Love the "fbgcapella" shtick. Does JoeT still have that bassnbrew email address?
Yes. Is Youtube down for anyone else? 2 different computers in the office and I still can't get a video to play.The "law + n" argument seems like is should've cleared this up. Don and Dawn definitely do not sound the same.
Apparently lots of people pronounce "law" as "lah".

Mr. Pickles said:
And lawyer as liar but that is a different conversation!

Mr. Pickles said:
lah-yer? Is that how some pronounce it?Also, from that questionaire to determine accents, what people pronounce Mary, merry, and marry differently? Edit: I just changed the one answer from my previous set of entries to "They all sound differently" and it pegged me as being from the Northeast, namely New York, Connecticut, or Rhode Island.

Last edited by a moderator:
What American accent do you have?

Your Result: Boston

You definitely have a Boston accent, even if you think you don't. Of course, that doesn't mean you are from the Boston area, you may also be from New Hampshire or Maine.

:confused:

This thing owned me.

Doug B said:
Just watched Fred's video ... his "Don/Dawn" DOES sound kind of like (but not exactly like) mine and Rude's "Dawn". Fascinating.
What the hell? I figured my Don would sound like your Don, but your Dawn would be the long islandy sounding doe-uhn. That's something I've heard plenty and it sounds terrible. But you're saying that you pronounce dawn and lawn like I do, but pronounce "Don" differently? I'm completely shuked here, no shtick.

Your Result: The Midland

I knew that my GBs from western Pennsylvania couldn't pronounce an "o" right but at least they generally have the good graces to be a little embarrassed about it, not like some others in here.

Doug B said:
What the hell? I figured my Don would sound like your Don, but your Dawn would be the long islandy sounding doe-uhn. That's something I've heard plenty and it sounds terrible. But you're saying that you pronounce dawn and lawn like I do, but pronounce "Don" differently? I'm completely shuked here, no shtick.
:goodposting:

what people pronounce Mary, merry, and marry differently?
:thumbup:I can't imagine people would pronounce any two of those the same way, let alone all three.
Mary and marry = the sameMerry = different, a little upset that wasn't an option.
Mary rhymes with dairy.Marry rhymes with Larry.Merry rhymes with cherry.None of those rhyme with each other.
I agree 100% but...I think were going to be talking past each other here. Larry and dairy rhyme to me. :goodposting:

:confused:I can't imagine people would pronounce any two of those the same way, let alone all three.
Mary and marry = the sameMerry = different, a little upset that wasn't an option.
Mary rhymes with dairy.Marry rhymes with Larry.Merry rhymes with cherry.None of those rhyme with each other.
Once again, they all rhyme.

:confused:I can't imagine people would pronounce any two of those the same way, let alone all three.
OK Helen Keller.

So, for those who disagree with Rudnicki, do you hear the differences but disagree that he's pronouncing the words correctly, or do you just not hear the difference?

"oh, hello Fred." lolWhen you say Don, it sounds like someone kicked you in the nuts. I can't believe that would be normal.

:lmao:I can't imagine people would pronounce any two of those the same way, let alone all three.
:lmao:

Your Result: The West

Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.

Repost of the link for those just checking this out.

http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_american_accent_do_you_have

:goodposting:I can't imagine people would pronounce any two of those the same way, let alone all three.
I really can't imagine that you pronounce them as differently as you're implying. They're exactly the same word.
:goodposting: I would never confuse one of those three words with either of the other two. They are clearly three distinct vowel sounds. No one answered my earlier question, maybe you can? When you watch Aaron's video, do you hear the differences but disagree that they are the proper pronunciations, or do you not hear the differences?

:goodposting: :goodposting:

First, you ARE saying doe-uhn. That's the only way I can phonetically describe the linguistic malfeasance perpetrated by the upstate New York turned Chicago influences onto the tin ear that thinks you're saying the words "long" and "dawn" correctly in that video.

Second, what you say as "Don" sounds like you're a kung fu student shouting DON! as he bangs the side of his hand on a piece of wood. I can't imagine that you have any friends named Don anymore.

Third, and perhaps most importantly, you seem to have circled "wrong" instead of "long".

Mr. Pickles said:
lah-yer? Is that how some pronounce it?Also, from that questionaire to determine accents, what people pronounce Mary, merry, and marry differently? Edit: I just changed the one answer from my previous set of entries to "They all sound differently" and it pegged me as being from the Northeast, namely New York, Connecticut, or Rhode Island.
That was the only question I really couldn't answer. To me, Mary and marry sound the same, but merry sounds different. There was no option for that. It said I was midland even though I'm from the northeast. :goodposting:

Users who are viewing this thread