What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kareem Huggins (1 Viewer)

shader

Footballguy
Someone brought up Kareem Huggins in the Dynasty thread earlier this week, and I told him that I had heard great things about Huggins at Bucs camp. Though you never hear the coaches talk about him, observers said he has been getting alot of PT.

He boasts sub 4.4 speed and was buried on the practice squad last year.

Let's face it, there's no better situation for a break-out RB than Tampa Bay. Ward is terrible, and Cadillac, while a good story, is not going to last long.

I was ready to see Huggins in the pre-season and right now I'm mad I can't watch this Tampa Bay game.

I know it's pre-season, and it's the 2nd half but here are his stats so far, which I'll update after the game:

8 rushes 55 yards

1 rec 14 yards

He is a virtual unknown and I haven't really seen a single person talk about him...

Could he be this year's Fast Willie Parker?

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone brought up Kareem Huggins in the Dynasty thread earlier this week, and I told him that I had heard great things about Huggins at Bucs camp. Though you never hear the coaches talk about him, observers said he has been getting alot of PT. He boasts sub 4.4 speed and was buried on the practice squad this year.Let's face it, there's no better situation for a break-out RB than Tampa Bay. Ward is terrible, and Cadillac, while a good story, is not going to last long.I was ready to see Huggins in the pre-season and right now I'm mad I can't watch this Tampa Bay game.I know it's pre-season, and it's the 2nd half but here are his stats so far, which I'll update after the game:8 rushes 55 yards1 rec 14 yardsHe is a virtual unknown and I haven't really seen a single person talk about him...Could he be this year's Fast Willie Parker?
He looks very much like Fast Willie to me... before being overused and abused and turning into tougher-but-slower Willie. Not great wiggle, but instant acceleration and good speed. Short and bigger in the uppper body than the lower body, but by no means a Jerious Norwood.

He looks pretty good. Not sure how he got run down from behind by a backup DB with his speed though. I don't remember him playing against any of the Dolphins starters, but I could be wrong. I'd also like to see him play in non-swamp conditions, the stadium in Miami right now was a mud bowl before they threw sawdust on the infield. Really wet there!

Someone brought up Kareem Huggins in the Dynasty thread earlier this week, and I told him that I had heard great things about Huggins at Bucs camp. Though you never hear the coaches talk about him, observers said he has been getting alot of PT.

He boasts sub 4.4 speed and was buried on the practice squad this year.

Let's face it, there's no better situation for a break-out RB than Tampa Bay. Ward is terrible, and Cadillac, while a good story, is not going to last long.

I was ready to see Huggins in the pre-season and right now I'm mad I can't watch this Tampa Bay game.

I know it's pre-season, and it's the 2nd half but here are his stats so far, which I'll update after the game:

8 rushes 55 yards

1 rec 14 yards

He is a virtual unknown and I haven't really seen a single person talk about him...

He looks very much like Fast Willie to me... before being overused and abused and turning into tougher-but-slower Willie. Not great wiggle, but instant acceleration and good speed. Short and bigger in the uppper body than the lower body, but by no means a Jerious Norwood.
He had a very nice run where he "wiggled" off tackle, (Kinda like Sproles hiding behind the o-line) and broke 2-3 tackles for a nice gain. He showed me plenty of wiggle, and I'm hoping he makes the team, if only for a change-of-pace back.

8 rushes 55 yards

1 rec 14 yards

He had a very nice run where he "wiggled" off tackle, (Kinda like Sproles hiding behind the o-line) and broke 2-3 tackles for a nice gain. He showed me plenty of wiggle, and I'm hoping he makes the team, if only for a change-of-pace back.
Since you're a Bucs fan, what are you hearing from camp? I've heard he's outplaying Derrick Ward, and that from a talent standpoint he is a shoo-in to make the team.

8 rushes 55 yards

1 rec 14 yards

Since you're a Bucs fan, what are you hearing from camp? I've heard he's outplaying Derrick Ward, and that from a talent standpoint he is a shoo-in to make the team.
I've heard a couple interviews from Ra and he is raving about this kid (I also take this with a grain of salt b/c he's from Hofstra and Raheem gets a little crazy with his alma mater), but besides Caddy being healthy and Mike Williams emerging as a threat, Huggins is the talk of camp so far. A local radio show broadcasted from camp last week and said he was getting SOME carries with the first team and when he did, he made them count. But from a fan standpoint, I think most of us are tired of Derrick Ward by now, he looks out of shape and non-explosive. This kid could definately be in the mix with a good preseason.

I've heard a couple interviews from Ra and he is raving about this kid (I also take this with a grain of salt b/c he's from Hofstra and Raheem gets a little crazy with his alma mater), but besides Caddy being healthy and Mike Williams emerging as a threat, Huggins is the talk of camp so far. A local radio show broadcasted from camp last week and said he was getting SOME carries with the first team and when he did, he made them count. But from a fan standpoint, I think most of us are tired of Derrick Ward by now, he looks out of shape and non-explosive. This kid could definately be in the mix with a good preseason.
JWIW, I just grabbed him in both leagues I own Caddy in. Never have made a trade offer for Ward.

Cadillac, while a good story, is not going to last long.
He's healthy now. He had a couple of bad breaks, including the horse collar tackle in Carolina a few years back, but it's not fair to flat out say that he won't last long.

Looks like a nobody. Gained most of his yards on one play where there was a huge hole and he went untouched into the secondary. I wouldn't use a roster spot on him in a 32 teamer.

Looks like a nobody. Gained most of his yards on one play where there was a huge hole and he went untouched into the secondary. I wouldn't use a roster spot on him in a 32 teamer.
The coaching staff disagrees with you:
"I would be really, really surprised if this guy doesn't end up being a player. I would be really surprised," Bucs offensive coordinator Greg Olson said. "He's one guy that has jumped out during (voluntary workouts), training camp and minicamp. He's doing some good things. Keep an eye on him."
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/aug/12/12...TBO+%3E+Bucs%29

The coaching staff disagrees with you:
"I would be really, really surprised if this guy doesn't end up being a player. I would be really surprised," Bucs offensive coordinator Greg Olson said. "He's one guy that has jumped out during (voluntary workouts), training camp and minicamp. He's doing some good things. Keep an eye on him."
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/aug/12/12...TBO+%3E+Bucs%29
We'll see :goodposting:

Had the roster space and drafted him in a rookie/free agent draft back in June after reading about him here. Agree that the talent above him is lacking and/or injury-prone. Some people really like Caddy, but I think he's on borrowed time in the league.

I wanted to get a look at the Tampa RBs to see where Caddy is, if Ward is going to push for time, and take a look at the Huggins kid.

Caddy looked very solid; nothing special, but pretty decent.

Ward looked awfully slow and will not challenge Caddy at all.

Huggins looks small. He is very fast in a straight line, with above average (but not elite) accelleration. He didn't show much side to side agility. It looked like his legs stopped moving when he hit the pile. He won't be moving any piles.

Part timer at best, more of a change of pace 3rd down RB. From a fantasy perspective, really only rosterable in large leagues or deep roster leagues.

:hot:

Actually, Ward is pretty terrible at this point. He was clearly the third-best RB on the Bucs last night. I kind of wonder if he makes the team now.

I have brought up this guys name in several Bucs threads after hearing Jeff Faine say positive things about him while he was on the practice squad last season. Coach talk is one thing but to have a guy like Faine say, "look out for this guy on the practice squad" is something to take note of.

Ward sucked last night and I wouldn't be surprised if Huggins passes him on the depth chart. There are also rumors that Clifton Smith could be traded.

Also, Kareem Huggins and Raheem Morris have history that dates all the way back to high school. The reason he played at Hoftra was because of Raheem. The reason he plays for the Bucs is because of Raheem. So, I wouldn't be surprised if Raheem lets his guy play.

Great posting guys. By no means is Kareem Huggins a fantasy stud in the making. But he very well could play a Darren Sproles role type this year. Its kind of nuts that Ward complained about the conditions of the field on why he had such a dismal performance. And then Huggins had 55 yards off of 8 carries. So given that reasoning and logic if the field was that bad like some of the players said. What would this Huggins kid do on a normal field. Wow watch out.

THought this comment from Coach Morris was interesting.

(On the positives from the game)

"The positives remain the same from halftime. We were able to run the football. Kareem Huggins came in and picked up really where Cadillac left off. He did some good thing. He had a couple of good screens in there. He was able to run the ball hard and physical. We played physical. We played hard. We just have to learn to play smarter -- too many penalties, too many turnovers -- We can't use the weather as an excuse or the mud out there as an excuse. I know that's what we are going to do, but I am not going to let them. We've got to hold onto the ball...and that's what we have to get better at."

Do you think he was aiming this at Ward? Almost seems like it a little bit.

http://www.pewterreport.com/articles/view/...erReport.com%29

This guy is definitely on my radar right now. I'm trying to figure out how to make room for him on my roster. IMO I think this guy is different than another pre-season darling, he's been getting consistent praise all off-season, but it was so far under the radar that nobody knew about him. I'm not saying this guy will be a stud, but I think with a good opportunity he could perhaps be a low-end RB3 with upside. There isn't a lot of competition ahead of him and he is somebody to keep on eye on in dynasty leagues for sure. I suspect that if he can put together another impressive performance next week that he will start getting picked up in leagues, I just hope my leaguemates aren't paying too close attention to the current RB3/4 in Tampa Bay at the moment. He showed good vision on a few of his runs but was stacked up behind the line of scrimmage a couple of times though. But, he still showed me enough to get my attention and it was nice to finally watch him perform after reading the camp stories about him.

Premier said:
Actually, Ward is pretty terrible at this point. He was clearly the third-best RB on the Bucs last night. I kind of wonder if he makes the team now.
Ward looks like he might've eaten his way out of the league.

jacobo_moses said:
By no means is Kareem Huggins a fantasy stud in the making. But he very well could play a Darren Sproles role type this year.
Agreed, could be a great player for the Buc's probably not much to consider for fantasy purposes.At best an RBBC player which would make him a flex or bi-week fill in.

jacobo_moses said:
By no means is Kareem Huggins a fantasy stud in the making. But he very well could play a Darren Sproles role type this year.
Agreed, could be a great player for the Buc's probably not much to consider for fantasy purposes.At best an RBBC player which would make him a flex or bi-week fill in.
Unless Caddy gets hurt (which isn't exactly unprecedented) and Huggins becomes the starter.

jacobo_moses said:
Unless Caddy gets hurt (which isn't exactly unprecedented) and Huggins becomes the starter.
I doubt this guy even then gets a full load, and I'm not so sure that with a full load he'd be worth starting at RB2 anyways.

Rotoworld:

Derrick Ward-RB- Buccaneers Aug. 16 - 1:03 pm et

The Tampa Tribune suggests that Derrick Ward is in danger of not making the team this year.

A trade or a release are both realistic possibilities, according to the Tribune. Ward looked awfully sluggish on a rain-slicked field Saturday night while Cadillac Williams and Kareem Huggins both looked fantastic. Ward is due $3.25 million this year -- a lot to pay for a third-string tailback.

Source: Tampa Tribune

Related: Carnell Williams, Kareem Huggins

Rev up the Kareem Huggins hype train!

I'm on board!!!!

Seriously, I saw a quote from Morris about how Huggins was playing behind the same 2nd string OL that Ward did, and that Huggins made it happen...

Morris doesn't have time to play politics. He has to play the best players to keep his job.

Huggins will get PT this year, unless he gets injured or plays terrible in the next three weeks. I think that right now he's a guy that is on waivers in most leagues that could very easily get 1,000-1200 yards combined this year. All it would take is earning a split and maybe even starting in a few games where Cadillac gets the inevitable injury.

Looking forward to the rest of the pre-season for "Huggie Bear".

Per ESPN Insider

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors#5790

Ward on the bubble

3:41

PM ET

Derrick Ward | Buccaneers A year ago, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers doled out a four-year, $17 million contract to Derrick Ward, with $6 million guaranteed. But after a 409-yard season in 2009, and slow going early on this preseason, Ward is at risk of being released, according to Ira Kaufman of the Tampa Tribune.

Kaufman notes that "Kareem Huggins looks like the better running back," which is a massive understatement considering what was plain to see in Saturday's game against the Miami Dolphins. Ward looked out of place, rushing for just 20 yards on 12 carries, and appeared visibly frustrated with his play.

Should Ward be cut, there may be some interest around the league in the former 1,000-yard rusher. However, he shouldn't expect to make anything near what was scheduled on his deal with the Bucs.

All I'm saying is I think he is worth a flier in a 32 team dynasty league like I'm in. Its not unheard of for players to become fantasy relevant off of a practice squad or being undrafted. Case in point. I think there is some guy named Ryan Grant that fits that description. Please don't take this as me comparing Huggins to Grant because I'm not. I'm just saying BUY NOW while the value is still kind of low before he is worth more then you want to pay.

PS I picked this Huggins kid up in a dynasty league I"m in. And another owner wanted him then tried to downplay Huggins saying oh well he did that against the 3rd String. I looked up the Safety who made the tackle on Huggins 35yard run and it was a 2nd string Safety for the Phins. So yeah this kid is legit I'd say.

He's making the team. That much is guaranteed at this point. I'd say it's also a fairly safe bet that he beats Ward for #2. In fact, I'd be shocked if he didn't.

Premier said:
He's making the team. That much is guaranteed at this point. I'd say it's also a fairly safe bet that he beats Ward for #2. In fact, I'd be shocked if he didn't.
It all depends what Ward does versus Kansas City at home. I do agree that he'll make the team though.

Personally I think that Caddy is the best of a very average group of Rb's. It usually takes a home-run guy like Huggie to make teams respect a ho-hum running attack (see the Chargers last year). Caddy will eat up the yards and get his 5-7 td's, and Huggins will hopefully be that change of pace guy. Ward is worthless, I don't even know why he's lasted this long. Oh wait, that waste of a contract, I forgot.

Premier said:
...and as the #2 behind Caddy, he could be starting before we know it.

Great posting guys. By no means is Kareem Huggins a fantasy stud in the making. But he very well could play a Darren Sproles role type this year. Its kind of nuts that Ward complained about the conditions of the field on why he had such a dismal performance. And then Huggins had 55 yards off of 8 carries. So given that reasoning and logic if the field was that bad like some of the players said. What would this Huggins kid do on a normal field. Wow watch out.
Were they playing against the same level of competition?I didn't see the game, which is why I ask, but one of the biggest mistakes people make in preseason are these sorts of comparisons. The difference between first string D and third string D is immeasurable because most of the third stringers won't even make the team. The difference between second and third stringers is also considerable because at least the second stringers will make the team and may one day be stars.You can't compare statistical production in a few preseason games. You should go back and see who were the leading HBs and WRs the past few preseasons--you will find mostly guys who are still not doing anything in the real games.

Premier said:
...and as the #2 behind Caddy, he could be starting before we know it.
Well the teams decision on RB2 will be based on more than the YPC in one preseason game. You have to consider pass protection.

EG is better than Ward imo. The guy always makes plays yet they seem to be content with him as a FB. :goodposting:
Which makes me think that Graham would play more RB if Caddy were to do down. I'm not saying Huggins wouldn't have a role, but for people to assume that he'll be a feature-back if Caddy gets hurt may be a bit premature.

Users who are viewing this thread