What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jake Browning, Bengals (2 Viewers)

Stat Correction

Footballguy
(Did multiple searches but got no results, so mods please delete if this thread already exists)

With multiple injuries, inconsistency, byes, and gross underperformance at the QB position, is anyone thinking about rolling with him? Looked pretty serviceable last week against the Steelers, which is a historically tough-fought game, going 19/26 (73%) with a TD and Int. The prior week, while coming in for Burrow, he also had 4 rushes for 40 yards, so he is at least capable of scrambling. Very good WR corp with Tee expected back. Has @Jags on Monday night, followed by two home games against Indy and Minny.

Stranger things have happened.....

Last edited:
I might need to grab him for Jackson’s bye week. I’m interested in the crowd sourcing of opinions here.

I have Mayfield backing up Allen so I’m looking too. I had similar thoughts about Browning being viable this week but with the Jags - 7.5 and the o/u 36, Vegas doesn’t seem to think he’ll do much. Tough for me to pull the trigger with any confidence but might need to. Other options for me are Young and Trask.

Night game at the Bank vs. a Jags team (and fan base) with a head full of steam will be a challenge for a young guy in his 2nd start

(It's too bad, b/c I was very much looking forward to a super-meaningful matchup vs. the Bengals with Burrow)

A post-Reich bounce for Young vs. a bottom 5 defense vs. fantasy QBs is tempting....

Browning looked ok as the starter against the Steelers. He was lucky with a couple of batted balls going into Ja'Marr Chase's hands, one of those going for 31 yards which inflated his numbers a bit. The TD was a simple screen pass to Sample, where he did most of the work. Jags force a lot of turnovers so I'd be nervous about that with a backup 2nd game starter.

There has been a lot of talk locally on the lack of run offense for the Bengals, I think they try to run more often this coming week, as long as they are in a position to contend in the game.

I thought Browning looked FAR worse than his numbers. He had 2 INT's that magically bounced into Chase's hands, one that went for 30+ yards the other went for 10-15.

I didn't see Browning as being better than the likes of Zach Wilson, Tyson Bagent, or Tommy Devito. I think there is a very good chance the Bengals don't win another game this season with him as a starter given their schedule.

I think the absolute best case scenario is maybe he hits QB20. I'd rather roll with guys like Mayfield, Minshew, or Pickett.

Jake Browning is on the Week 13 injury report with a right wrist injury but practicing in full.
The Bengals seem to be trying to make a funny two weeks after they were accused of not listing Joe Burrow’s right wrist injury. Browning will be out there for Monday evening’s game against the Jaguars and amongst the worst options in fantasy football at quarterback.

Reminds me of Rich Gannon. Didn't display the rushing tonight, but the pocket awareness and mobility are there from what I saw in his relief appearance when Burrow went down. And obviously, he's a yards accumulator with the quick short passing game. Purdy is another guy that is a comp IMO.

The kid was very accurate tonight. Looked great. It helps to have Chase and Higgins. Plus Mixon is a good receiver as well. As long as Boyd can focus on catching the ball instead of throwing then he too can be an asset.

Browning is the 1st undrafted QB to have 350 yards and complete 85% of his passes.

He's the 10th overall, the other 9 are:
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Johnny Unitas
Vinny Testaverde
Chris Chandler
Drew Brees
Lamar Jackson
Justin Herbert
Rich Gannon

I'm actually kind of surprised Kurt Warner never did this.

Browning is the 1st undrafted QB to have 350 yards and complete 85% of his passes.

He's the 10th overall, the other 9 are:
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Johnny Unitas
Vinny Testaverde
Chris Chandler
Drew Brees
Lamar Jackson
Justin Herbert
Rich Gannon

I'm actually kind of surprised Kurt Warner never did this.
85% is super hard to do.
A Quick Look shows Warner went over 85% in a game twice. 10/10 and 2/2.
Who knows, maybe browning will find himself a starting job at some point.

@NextGenStats
·
6h
Jake Browning completed every one of his 7 pass attempts over 10 air yards on the night, the most downfield completions without an incompletion since Week 16, 2021.

🔸 Over 10 AY: 7/7, 170 yards, TD
🔸 Under 10 AY: 25/28, 184 yards, 2 drops

look at dem dots

But he's a terrible receiver, decent hands but no YAC; also not a great tackler.

As a Burrow/Chase owner, he's given me hope again

Bengals fans must have been ready to pack it in for the year. Now they're back in the hunt. Not an easy path but at least these will be meaningful games:

WeekOPPResultProjectedActualYardsTDINTATTYardsTD2ptATTCOMP
12Pit (26th)Final L 10-1611.6711.982271139002619
13@Jax (3rd)Final W 34-3111.4530.66354102221-3732
14Ind (14th)Sun 1:00 PM10.800.00---------
15Min (17th)1:00 PM11.670.00---------
16@Pit (26th)4:30 PM11.420.00---------
17@KC (28th)4:25 PM11.320.00

18 CLE (30th)

Earned himself some serious money tonight. Guaranteed backup at a minimum for awhile

Exclusive rights free agent for next two seasons after this year and then an RFA year. Bengals have found their modern Turk Schonert at a bargain basement rate for the next two seasons :D

-QG
Yep. If Browning keeps looking good, he's likely to be tendered at a 1st round pick in '26, which is currently about a 6 mil salary (top backup money). I'm not sure somebody would be willing to give their 1st for him as a 30 year-old, though.

Browning might have to wait until he's a UFA in '27 to be a starter.

Kurt Warner didn't start a game until he was 28. Just sayin'...

BTW, Warner had a really weird career. Unreal in '99 with 41 TDs/then so-so/then 36 TDs, but a bunch of INTs/then 5 bad years with 3 different teams/then 3 pretty good ones. Crazy up and down.

Last edited:
These past four games have earned him 50 million in career earnings as a back up. The next four games could earn him a shot as an actual starter. Good luck kid.

These past four games have earned him 50 million in career earnings as a back up. The next four games could earn him a shot as an actual starter. Good luck kid.

2 more seasons of ERFA money before he can see more than $1m a season. And then he is a 30-year-old RFA after that. So gonna be hard to get all the way up to $50m by the end of his career.

But man I am so happy to have him with my Bengals :pickle:

-QG

lol

Browning looks like a legitimate NFL QB. He’s on a 1 year contract. I can think of a couple teams that could use a guy like Browning.

I’m sure glad I claimed him in a SF league when he was named the starter. Hopefully he can parlay it into a job somewhere.
The Bengals have Browning by the nads for the next two years. He’ll be a ERFA in ‘24 & a RFA in ‘25.

JBro isn’t going anywhere until ‘26 unless Cincy gets their doors blown off by an offer. Kind of a raw deal in a way, but maybe they’ll give him over & above the paltry ERFA salary next season as a reward for playing well (if he continues to do so).

Last edited:

2 more seasons of ERFA money before he can see more than $1m a season. And then he is a 30-year-old RFA after that. So gonna be hard to get all the way up to $50m by the end of his career.

But man I am so happy to have him with my Bengals :pickle:

-QG
Not gonna lie. I didn't realize he was 27 years old. Interesting

Yeah Browning is a rare case. How many guys are able to hang around the league for 5 years without being roostered (or on PUP or IR) for 6 games until that 5th year? Basically 4 years of practice squad. The lower tier players usually get in on special teams - and if you cannot play special teams to start out you probably won't be on a rooster. And then guys get hurt all the time - have to double check with him but my buddy who was a UDFA a few years ago go hurt in training camp and had a year on IR so he has 1 accrued season without ever playing in a regular season game.

And for those rare cases that perform enough for a contract how often would it be considered at a starter level?

And ahead of 2026 he will still be an RFA - so at the point the Bengals very well could slap a 1st round tender on him.

I think it would take an incredible offer to move him - Burrow has a $30m or so cap hit next year and a $50m or so cap hit in 2025. Having a very capable backup at league minimum is too good of a situation to trade away unless it is for an absolute fortune

And the Bengals historically don't trade much and they value their own assets highly. I would be shocked if they traded him and if they did it would be at an almost unimaginable premium.

-QG

Only close situation comparison I can think of would be Kurt Warner - though Browning hasn't gotten near that performance level yet - I just mean in terms of contract situation.

But after the Super Bowl win even though Warner was an ERFA there wasn't a guy like Burrow blocking him - there was Trent Green. The Rams went a year with both before dealing Green out for a first rounder after a year as a then-pricy backup.

Short a Cinderella run for Browning that has a QB-starved team making an impossible package of picks I think he is stuck.

-QG

People love to criticize Purdy that he is a product of the environment.

The environment is pretty damn good in Cincy too. One of the best in the league to come into as a backup and look good.

lol

Browning looks like a legitimate NFL QB. He’s on a 1 year contract. I can think of a couple teams that could use a guy like Browning.

I’m sure glad I claimed him in a SF league when he was named the starter. Hopefully he can parlay it into a job somewhere.
The Bengals have Browning by the nads for the next two years. He’ll be a ERFA in ‘24 & a RFA in ‘25.

JBro isn’t going anywhere until ‘26 unless Cincy gets their doors blown off by an offer. Kind of a raw deal in a way, but maybe they’ll give him over & above the paltry ERFA salary next season as a reward for playing well (if he continues to do so).
Yeah, I was looking into that.

I might see what I can pry out of the Burrow shareholder in my league during the offseason. Now that he’s shown he can ball, I might be able to get a decent pick or prospect for him.

Yeah Browning is a rare case. How many guys are able to hang around the league for 5 years without being roostered (or on PUP or IR) for 6 games until that 5th year? Basically 4 years of practice squad. The lower tier players usually get in on special teams - and if you cannot play special teams to start out you probably won't be on a rooster. And then guys get hurt all the time - have to double check with him but my buddy who was a UDFA a few years ago go hurt in training camp and had a year on IR so he has 1 accrued season without ever playing in a regular season game.

And for those rare cases that perform enough for a contract how often would it be considered at a starter level?

And ahead of 2026 he will still be an RFA - so at the point the Bengals very well could slap a 1st round tender on him.

I think it would take an incredible offer to move him - Burrow has a $30m or so cap hit next year and a $50m or so cap hit in 2025. Having a very capable backup at league minimum is too good of a situation to trade away unless it is for an absolute fortune

And the Bengals historically don't trade much and they value their own assets highly. I would

And the Bengals historically don't trade much and they value their own assets highly. I would be shocked if they traded him and if they did it would be at an almost unimaginable premium.

-QG
Yeah, Browning will get a 1st round tender in ‘25 assuming he finishes this season strong. I can’t see a trade happening, either, but the salary is currently around 6 mil for a 1st round tender so only one more year until some real money.

Last edited:
I heard he has 2 EFRA years left so the tender would be before the '26 season.

-QG
You're right. Not sure why I was thinking Browning had an accrued season. So two years at minimum salary as a ERFA and a RFA in '26. UFA in '27 at 31 years old. The real money won't come until '26 as a 1st round tender (currently 6 mil) unless Cincy gives him more than they have to as a ERFA.

The Bengals are really set up well at backup QB for the next 3 seasons. JBro has no choice but to be patient unless he tries to force a trade.

Last edited:
I thought Browning looked FAR worse than his numbers. He had 2 INT's that magically bounced into Chase's hands, one that went for 30+ yards the other went for 10-15.

I didn't see Browning as being better than the likes of Zach Wilson, Tyson Bagent, or Tommy Devito. I think there is a very good chance the Bengals don't win another game this season with him as a starter given their schedule.

I think the absolute best case scenario is maybe he hits QB20. I'd rather roll with guys like Mayfield, Minshew, or Pickett.

:hophead:

:hophead:
He's greatly exceeded my expectations for sure. I was never impressed with him at Washington, and he looked awful in his 1st Bengals start. He's been every bit as good as Burrow was this season.

Users who are viewing this thread